Type keyword(s) to search

Extra Hot Great

David T. Cole
  • Start Topic

holy crap, Joe and Sarah, I am so excited about Love/Hate in the afternoon! (hope I got that name right) Can't wait to hear it! I may no longer watch soaps, but they still hold a very special place in my heart. Yay, soaps! Yay soap podcast from my favorite podcasters!!1!! (exclamation point, eleventy, etc)

Archer!!! Nothing would need to be changed.

Sherlock!!! Would be all about the search for Sherlock and Watson starring all the actors from Sherlock who are waiting around for the next gig while Cumberbatch and Freeman are too busy to star in their hit BBC series.

Younger!!! Sutton Foster realizes that she is killing it in her second chance at her Twenties, but to really get ahead she is going to need to get "YOUNGER!!!" and she heads back to middle school to get the education she needs for her third chance at her Twenties.

Garfunkel and Oates (Riki Lindhome and Kate Micucci)

I don't even know how to describe their first show, but with this I would like to see them in a show as a modern day Laverne & Shirley.

So fess up. The Mad Men episode Canon submission was just a thinly disguised fictionalization of how you all broke away from TWoP to start previously.tv isn't it?

Well we didn't break away from TWoP to do PTV, we were long gone by then but the general thought did occur to me when we were watching it!

Surely "Pulling a Tara" should be getting all the answers wrong, but only just (like saying 2002/2004/2006 when it was 2003/2005/2007)?

The reason DS9 looked better than Babylon 5 was because B5 used CGI when DS9 used models when it came to doing stuff in space ("SPAAAACE!"), which given the relative primitiveness and/or cheapness of the graphics really showed. It did mean that B5 could actually have fleets of ships rather than about 3 a side, though (and in fact, once DS9 started involving fleet actions toward the end of its run, it did use CGI).

The intro had me frantically studying my podcast app to see why the hell EHG was skipping and acting crazy for the ENTIRE bit and then a few seconds more! Oops.

Very excited for the upcoming podcasts - I will listen to literally anything from y'all - but it reminded me to ask: is there a certain end date in sight for Again With This: Bev Hills 90210? Are y'all definitely stopping at the end of high school? (Crossing my fingers, toes, and eyes that you'll do a couple college seasons, but not holding my breath at the same time.) I need to know when the end is nigh so I can EMOTIONALLY PREPARE for the loss of that podcast in my life.

Edited by itainttippithebird

is there a certain end date in sight for Again With This: Bev Hills 90210? Are y'all definitely stopping at the end of high school?

No. I would have, but Sarah made it a condition of doing it that we push past, so THANK HER for the fact that we will be doing this until menopause.

Really top-notch work by Liv this week. Glad you all mentioned that she turned into a teenager between seasons, because I was shocked and delighted by all her sass and Valley Girl-isms. Also really loved her confidence about using this as a good "opportunity" for research for when she's ultimately on the show someday.

The intro had me frantically studying my podcast app to see why the hell EHG was skipping and acting crazy for the ENTIRE bit and then a few seconds more! Oops.

Same here. I was really concerned/confused.

Edited by April Bloodgate

No. I would have, but Sarah made it a condition of doing it that we push past, so THANK HER for the fact that we will be doing this until menopause.

Yaaaay (to be read in the voice of that EHG sound clip)! Thanks Sarah D. Bunting! And simultaneously "sorryyy" (to be read in the voice of the other EHG sound clip ) to you, Tara Ariano.

Edited by itainttippithebird

Have you ever considered announcing the canon-submission episodes beforehand so that listeners could watch before listening to your discussions? I suppose I could just wait and see it listed in the episode description and then come back to the Canon segment after watching, but maybe a heads up on Twitter or something?

I'm really looking forward to the new podcasts, can't wait to give them a listen!

I hope to hear a beat down of Melrose Place someday. Oof, the humor that will come from tackling that show.

As someone who spent an incredible amount of time in her teens and twenties watching soaps I'm all in for the soap podcast. <br />Also, will the Buntsy Rant be a regular podcast occurrence? Cause that was brilliant. I nearly stabbed myself in the eye with my eyeliner as I heard "Goddamn VanBuren"

A thought for Joe Reid about Confessions of a Cigarette Smoking Man...what I find interesting about that episode and the mythology is that it's entirely possible that none of it is reliable at all. Every bit of it could be a complete lie.

I rewound that Buntsy rant and listened to it again, it was so epic. So incredibly well said. Olivia sucks, Van Buren forever! I am now brainstorming a Van Buren shirt for the hopefully eventual return of the PTV store. "Even cancer had to have a seat" had me laughing madly in the car during a snowstorm. 

Personally, I think they should get her back on SVU for an arc, to knock some sense into Olivia. She's on Med, they can work it out. Come on Dick Wolf! Then you can have your stupid Chicago Law instead of the Law & Order original reboot we were promised!

Tangentially related to the epic Buntsy Rant: a Sarah Tiny Triumph! LOVED the guest appearance on Pop Culture Happy Hour. It was like tuning into an episode of my beloved Parks and Rec to discover that Leslie Knopes' foul mouthed irascible sister was in town for a visit.

I loved hearing about the new podcasts as well, and I have a suggestion.  This would be mostly for Sarah I guess, but how about a Show and Yell for the 4th and final season of Rectify?  And maybe an Again With This for the 3rd season, leading up to the 4th?  I know, I ask a lot, but it's such an outstanding show with, as far as I can tell, no after-show podcasts, and it would be wonderful to have one. 

I loved hearing about the new podcasts as well, and I have a suggestion.  This would be mostly for Sarah I guess, but how about a Show and Yell for the 4th and final season of Rectify?  And maybe an Again With This for the 3rd season, leading up to the 4th?  I know, I ask a lot, but it's such an outstanding show with, as far as I can tell, no after-show podcasts, and it would be wonderful to have one. 

I also watch it, and we do get screeners.....

If anything, Sarah took it easy on those goddamn Liberty Mutual ads.  "God, they raised my rates just because I totaled my car ONE MEASLY TIME."  Get off the road, crappy driver.

• Love 4

Pretty sure I wasn't the only person yelling out, "Charmed! They were both on CHARMED!!!"

Also, Once and Again was a fantastic show, and someone ought to do a Canon submission for an episode. Sadly, season 3 never made it to DVD, although if you look hard enough you can find it in some form.

• Love 2

Have to admit Game time was really hard - and I wrote it (with the aid of Dr Google, to be fair and some while back)! So kudos to anyone getting a 3 pointer there, particularly as sometimes I hadn't even heard one of the shows in question (though if IMDB said they were in multiple episodes, I reckoned it was fair game). Apologies that there were any duplicate answers - I tried to avoid that, but it took a long time to assemble overall and a couple clearly slipped through.

Expect another Quiz that'll have the EHG crew cursing my name soon (well, soonish - it's done, but these things take a while to come through). And Dammit, now I've got to come up with another Mini!

Edited by John Potts
  • Love 1

I'm pretty sure that the proliferation of stories about people's bodies getting twisted by trains came from this clip from one of the first Taxicab Confessions, in which a police rescue worker demonstrates with a plastic baggie. It's sure as hell where my own terror of falling through the crack on the subway comes from - https://youtu.be/KnED-lQedjo 

Also, I nominate the movie Heidi to be what preempts football once a year, in honor of the event that got us into this whole mess in the first place.

And, watching the first ep of The X-Files, I realized that the internet has ruined conspiracy theories for me. And IIRC, the promo for next week actually has Scully telling Mulder that the internet has been terrible for him, which is why Dr. Dana Scully will forever be my girl.

I'm pretty sure that the proliferation of stories about people's bodies getting twisted by trains came from this clip from one of the first Taxicab Confessions, in which a police rescue worker demonstrates with a plastic baggie. It's sure as hell where my own terror of falling through the crack on the subway comes from - https://youtu.be/KnED-lQedjo 

On the Frontline Special they made about Subway, James Yoshimura says that Taxicab Confessions was where he got the idea.

Edited by DavidJSnyder
  • Love 1

Great podcast, guy! Nice game time, John Potts. I started to notice how many "SPACE!" questions Sarah was getting due to her frequent comments about it. At least, she also got to yell at the Earth.

• Love 2

gpgurl50 Nice game time, John Potts. I started to notice how many "SPACE!" questions Sarah was getting due to her frequent comments about it.

Thanks! I don't deliberately set out to annoy Sarah (or anyone else), but obviously the questions are biased by the programmes I actually know (combined with the fact that I'm in the UK, so they have to be programmes I'm reasonably sure broadcast in the US). The fact that I'm a bit of an SF nut and Sarah (I surmise) isn't meant that as soon as I put a Firefly character in that PICCI would probably ensure she got it!

Edited by John Potts

I agree with Dave's crackpot theory, and I move we pre-empt the fucking Olympics for an episode of Doctor Who. All the fun of disrupting people at a ridiculous moment, and the added bonus of disrupting the "Why are you showing other stupid countries? Isn't this about 'MERICA?!" idiots.

Ellie's sounding older too! Soon the Face Off reports are going to be like a tolerable version of The View.

Spaaaaaace! questions: I felt the same about how Sarah kept getting all of the ridiculous joke questions during the Is This Anything? quiz. I finished off a sequel last week and tried to spread the joke questions around a bit more, but with more joke questions in general I'm not sure it'll matter.

Can we get "Motherfu....[buzzer]" as a drop, please?

• Love 1

On Dave's not a crackpot theory - that actually happened a couple of years ago! TBS aired an episode of The Steve Harvey Show instead of a Red Sox game. Apparently, it was due to a router error (boring details available here), but, as someone who was living in Boston at the time, I can confirm that the sports fans did not take it well at all.

• Love 1

On the Frontline Special they made about Subway, James Yoshimura says that Taxicab Confessions was where he got the idea.

I was just coming to see if anyone else had seen that! What I remember the most is D'Onofrio going on and on about how he doesn't respect TV.

• Love 1

Erykah Badu as an expy version of herself and she is looking for a new label, since her old contract is ending soon. She is looking into signing with Cookie and Lyon Dynasty due to how Cookie seemed to breathe some new energy into Elle.

Lauryn Hill as an indie label owner who is looking to poach Tiana, claiming that Tiana is getting lost in all the nepotism, family drama and pet projects Empire and Lyon Dynasty have going on.

Martin Short and Nick Swardson ( Mulaney/ Chozen): Just to see how they would play the situations.  Mug for screentime and play to the civilians or actually be competent and mug when there's time?

Tyra Banks and Omarosa ( ANTM/ The Apprentice): Two WoC who are successful businesswomen; let's see if they can RACE! and extend their brands globally.

Stephen Amell and David Ramsey( Arrow): Yes, totally an Alpha Male team, but I am curious as to how competent both men are in this setting ( the Race). They are nice to look at and I would like more than just my hour on the CW.

Kristen Bell and Dax Shephard ( House of Lies/ Parenthood): They are married and cute together. Dax might surprise by not actually being Crosby from Parenthood or like he is in those ads for whoever. He might be insanely competent. Kristen would probably do well on the race, outside stuff ladies traditionally have problems with on their "race around the world."

Jadyn Wong and  Robert Patrick ( Scorpion):  He's the effingTerminator and she seems pretty neat.

eta:

Mr. Actionmage suggested Gordon Ramsey and Jeremy Clarkson ( Top Gear- UK)!  I know they are friendly in regular life and have appeared on the other one's show. Jeremy has travelled pretty far and wide, so seeing him without the usual trappings could be great TV. Gordon not being his chef-y self could be cool to watch too.

Thank you SVNBob, for the Frank and Sadie tip! I must now devour all of their performances, if possible!  They must totally do the Race!

Edited by Actionmage