Type keyword(s) to search

Extra Hot Great

David T. Cole
  • Start Topic

I really liked Detroit 1-8-7 for the one season it was on, and a lot of what I liked about it was the kind of stuff they're talking about in this podcast--the show really tried to explore the communities of Detroit, and the tensions and triumphs among the people. I was pretty sad when it was cancelled (I guess me and the three other people watching it). I could see something that really dug into that and had L&Os procedural structure being really cool.

• Love 3

For the non-American football fans:  I'd like to note that "D'Brickashaw Ferguson" is the name of an actual football player.  As Key & Peele realized, football player names are awesome.  My current favorite:  Ha Ha Clinton-Dix.

You know it's funny, it never occurred to me that Daisy should really show that she's aged, but of course none of the characters do, at all. They give us stuck-in-time Daisy

but they couldn't leave the dog stuck in time, as well?

I nominate Atlanta: corruption? check  racism? check  pretty people? check  a municipal government drowning in bad choices from the 70s? check  ALSO we have a TON of Hollywood types here now! We have given away so much tax money y'all. PLUS old money vs new money, the weirdness as everything swings back and forth from suburbs to new urban areas and also GAYS! Anyway. We have a lot to offer crime-wise and I guess that means I shouldn't be so excited about the thought of a L&O: Atlanta but dang it, I am.

• Love 2

I really liked Detroit 1-8-7 for the one season it was on, and a lot of what I liked about it was the kind of stuff they're talking about in this podcast--the show really tried to explore the communities of Detroit, and the tensions and triumphs among the people. I was pretty sad when it was cancelled (I guess me and the three other people watching it). I could see something that really dug into that and had L&Os procedural structure being really cool.

I was one of those 3 people that watched!  And for that reason also really liked the L&O: Detroit idea.

When CSI was deciding between New Orleans and (was it New York or Miami) I wanted it to pick New Orleans because the other options had so many shows set there.  They didn't listen to me.  Now we do have an NCIS there, but a L&O would be good, too.

If I had to pick something other than Detroit or New Orleans, I'd pick something like Minneapolis - more diversity than people think, lots of social awareness, wonderful neighborhoods with parks and corner bars, a great theater community, etc.

• Love 2

Some more ideas:

HGTV: House Hunters; it's a Sondheim-esque story of  a relatively well-off couple looking for a house. They have no children or pets and have been married for just over a year. They had a good couple of years before now in their jobs and want to invest in a place.  Act 1 is a super-luxurious  manse that's in their budget. Act 2 is the teensy, but wonderfully cozy house that fits their needs, if not their aesthetic wants. We go to an intermission on the couple not sure if they want to see a third option. Act 3 opens with an attractive house with lovely amenities and is a blend of wants and needs, just not a perfect match. Act 4 is The Dithering. There is voting by region on which house The Couple should buy (Vote is taken during the Intermission in each region.)  Act 5/The Epilogue is the announcement of which house is to be purchased.

Animal Planet: Finding Bigfoot;  a Phantom of the Opera type joint, Big Furry is drawn to civilization, but his hair is super-resistant to the depilatory sciences! In Andrew Lloyd Webber style songs, we come to understand the loneliness. The trio of 'busters, wanting to make fast cash with or without evidence, are moved by Big Furry's tale.  Maurance, from Williamsburg, is the cameraman. Min, the sound and research woman, is a fellow classmate of Noah, the director and financial backer of the whole shebang.  Noah is hoping to make this his factual Blair Witch Project. One of the crew ends up deciding to stay with Big Furry- who will it be?

Freeform/ABC Family: A New Kind of Family;  a show about the ups and downs and surprises that happen in a college town and between high school and college students. With a Bob Fosse style of score and choreography,  various family configurations find common ground and love  in a modern take on Our Town. The intermission is a stylized piece of monologue taken from The 700 Club transcripts and simultaneously interpreted by Twyla Tharp grads.

On Scorpion: Paige's ex/ Ralph's dad, Drew can get to his next job this way.  Drew's a minor league baseball player and never there dad, until about halfway into the first season of Scorpion. He is there to be a speedbump for the romantic leads, but Drew isn't compelling, as either a romantic option or just as a character.  Just chunk him away towards Maine, where he is supposed to want to go work. Anywhere but on the show.

On iZombie: Vaughn Du Clark. I really enjoy Steven Webber in his various takes on fatuous, banal antagonists. In small doses, the characters can be tolerable and enjoyable. Unfortunately, DuClark seems to have found one strong note and is holding on for longer than his allotted 8 seconds. I get that frustrating the protagonists and the audience is pretty much the job description for "series Bad Guy", but we get it already and now he's out-sourcing his evil-doing.  Free Steven Webber to be wonderfully awful somewhere else; catapult him!

I never watched The Catherine Tate Show, but "Am I Bovvered?" was a ridiculously ubiquitous annoying catchphrase a decade ago. They even did a Comic Relief sketch with Tony Blair:

I'm really looking forward to Angie Tribeca. That stupid humour absolutely works for me.

Very late, but I have a couple of options.

I might want to jump into The Mary Tyler Moore Show. It's a sweet show that didn't flinch from relationship problems but also championed making a family of friends. Being a neighbor or coworker would not be boring, especially if you got along with Rhoda! If the worst thing said about a character was that they were lousy at throwing parties or they were divorced, that's not a terrible place to land. 

Another option is Wonder Woman. She was arguably the smartest one in the show, or at least regular cast. If you could manage to be a friend, you might learn a skill or two and have a great friend/champion in Diana. Or a superhero to help you out of some insane situation.

But, of course, the ultimate answer for an apocalypse-avoiding time-jump is Doctor Who's Tardis! If the Doctor doesn't try to ditch you, you're in for a fantastic adventure. (Then you can get let off in a safer time/place.)

After seeing a Miss Fisher Murder Mysteries episode the other night, I will nominate Dorothy Williams (Dot).

Dot has had  remarkable growth from the first time we meet her  to current cases. ( I am behind, but Dottie thrives with Phryne!) What makes Miss Fisher's assistant such a subversive character, and not the woman she works for, is that Dottie is a deeply religious character.  She started out being afraid of the telephone ( the series is set in  late 1920s Melbourne) and has come to stand up for her employer and friend  against the usual forces arrayed against Nice Ladies of the time. Even her policeman boyfriend once in a while.

Dottie is very firm in her beliefs, but she doesn't go around insisting that everyone copy her style of religiousness. She doesn't insist that laws need to be made that outlaw what others might consider immoral or un-Christian. Yet, Dot is the most scathing opponent of someone who claims a higher religious or moral position. All that while, essentially being a quiet, self-conscious, unassuming house maid and fellow sleuth.  (This is not meant to imply she is anything other than clever and logical.)

While I get a Xena/Garielle vibe, Gabrielle eventually graduated to being an ass-kicking fighter/tough chick. I don't see Dottie doing so. She's pretty excellent being a low-key badass, which is perfection.

Since Nick brought it up, here are some numbers, for what it is worth... Diana Gabaldon's been working for longer, and indeed much harder (by page count and book count) then George arr-arr. So let's agree that she has some standing from which to throw that shade!

George R. R. Martin's Song of Ice and Fire Books:

first published - August 1996

number of books - 5

number of cumulative pages - 4,451

Diana Gabaldon's Outlander books:

first published - June 1991

number of books - 8

number of cumulative pages - 7,212

After the inanity of The Martian  being  placed in Comedy at this year's  show (2016), I nominate making Best Motion Picture  Dramedy an actual category.  I agree with the podcasters on their ideas, as well. Yet, a dramedy category can be for all the movies the lazy judges can't make their minds up about. That way movies that are supposed to be about getting laughs can get on with winning that category. The Oscars tends to be snotty about straight-up comedies, so the Globes need to get this right.

AND I still have an mp3 player. It doesn't run down my phone battery and works quickly like a drag-n-drop flash drive, so who's laughing now?

I'm rock my iPod classic to this day. Way more storage, easy transfer and as you said it doesn't kill the battery.

I had to skip the whole downton Abbey discussion. No one could make me interested in a discussion about that show.

Firefly? Almost Human?  XD

Show not on the air: Terriers. A second season to show which direction they took, or split it and give us two possibilities. It's not like the audience hasn't done it, but we'd get to see Donal and Michael in roles people enjoyed and miss.  They'd get paid and we could get some closure, even if one option wasn't fairytale.

I would have said The Player, as it was a fun show, but it never pulled a 'big enough' audience, so season 2 would never get greenlit due to cash.

Show currently airingOnce Upon A Time.  The show hasn't had anything truly matter in a long while, so if they can get one more season to wrap stuff up, I'd be happy.   (What I mean with "truly matter" is that every half season tends to reset at Square One, except everyone knows who they are and there is magic in Storybrooke.)

• Love 1

Since Nick brought it up, here are some numbers, for what it is worth... Diana Gabaldon's been working for longer, and indeed much harder (by page count and book count) then George arr-arr. So let's agree that she has some standing from which to throw that shade!

George R. R. Martin's Song of Ice and Fire Books:

first published - August 1996

number of books - 5

number of cumulative pages - 4,451

Diana Gabaldon's Outlander books:

first published - June 1991

number of books - 8

number of cumulative pages - 7,212

I was hoping someone would make this point the second I heard Nick say that!

Karen Fairgate MacKenzie of Knots Landing,  Karen Sisco in an eponymous show, and Karen Walker of Will & Grace. Three self-possessed ladies I'm good with sharing my name with.

Karen Plankton, though? It's a bit embarrassing.

Edited by Actionmage

Soaps have gotten a rap as being all about The Sex, with no real thought to grounded stories. Detractors point to Marlena's Possession By The Devil on Days Of Our Lives and The Ice Princess Caper from General Hospital, but those are decades old and overlook the actual grounded and ground-breaking social stories soaps have always told alongside the romances and intrigues.

I propose.... Corner/ Office!

The soap follows the fortunes of a female pimp in New York and her group of sex workers. She's tough but fair, yet feels responsible for these women.  In contrast, there is a high dollar madam and her "slate" of sex workers.  The madam is distant, does what she needs to keep the cops from sniffing around yet is detached from them except for her  personal assistant and her first "girl".   The stark realities of street-level sex workers isn't shied away from, but we also get a look into johns and services trying to help the women keep their dignity,their health, and their families.  By the same token, the call-girls show us the social prejudices toward not only sex work but the degree of "niceness" and associated financial power that allows some madams continued employment as such.  

In the first episode, the lady pimp is attacked by a rival's thugs and hospitalized, eventually. ( She was attacked in an alley and many folks didn't want to get involved, so didn't see how badly she was hurt.) We hear a familiar voice asking to see her sister, and it's the madam! ( Shock! )  Pia the Pimp ran off as a teen to make it big in show biz.  Mia the Madam had gone to college to get an MBA, but had financial problems after a bad couple of semesters. She took her book learning and  college connections ( and a little blackmail) to  end up unknowingly doing the same ( but better) as her sister.

Regular soapiness could happen with talk of the sisters merging their businesses, then Pia's past causes trouble for Mia and the business. Cops and johns fall in love with the various sex workers and some of the women leave for other options. New workers come along because it's New York and college doesn't pay for itself.  Of course, Mia not only wonders about Pia, but Sia, a crosstown rival madam, who has repeatedly tried to poach Mia's best workers. Granted, mia's never seen Sia, but  from descriptions, Our Canny Madam is pretty sure she is Ethel Bergah, from the sister's hometown and a rival to Mia then as well!

Edited by Actionmage

I want more Party down, Firefly, Buffy, Angel, better off Ted, Terriers, but at this point I would have to say Pushing Daisies for one and no more. The end of the series was tacked on at the last minute when they found out they were cancelled, and really didn't rap anything up they couldn't have done in the first episode. If they wait much longer they'll be able to use young Ned and Chuck to play the 2007 versions of themselves.

As far as a current show that needs to be stopped it's Castle for me. I stopped watching it last year after the cases of the week became too boring to tolerate. It would be nice to set these actors free to do something more interesting.

• Love 1

Current show: I hate to say it, but Please Like Me. I love what it does for getting mental health into the spotlight, but also, there's only so much whining from entitled hipster douchebags I can take.

Past show: Wonderfalls. Mostly because I'd love to see Tyron Leitso on my screen more, but still.

Here's my list:

*Gotham!  (Fox) It wouldn't have to change the show, but maybe a cheerier title font?

*The McLaughlin Group! (PBS) Because yelly old people yelling about politics is fun!

* Axe Cop!!!!  (Fox) Nothing is OTT for this show and, like, we don't already sort of say it like that anyway?