Type keyword(s) to search

Extra Hot Great

David T. Cole
  • Start Topic

This is indeed the podcast listeners Scream in their car edition. I actually hurt my throat yelling come on at the one second Seinfeld clip. I guessed the six million dollar man clip just based off the sound effects. Never watched the show in my life. I didn't even think the Miami vice one was hard. I don't know one TV show with a guitar riff like that.

I know it's been said before but ... it is SO so different when you're playing versus when you're screaming in your car. Like... how could I not know Cheers? Like THE most iconic of the iconic themes ... but something happens and your brain goes into vaporlock. And there's that weird thing where you know ALL of somebody else's clues (I think I knew all of Trip's and a fair chunk of Dave's) but on your own clues, the adrenaline kicks in and it's like you've never heard the Love Boat theme before (faceplant.)

But also... if we answered everything perfectly, what fun would that be? ;)

(PS ... Tara was right... I was thinking of "Hill Street Blues" but said "NYPD Blue" instead of ... CHEERS. Which of course has been running through my head ever since the recording... wheeee.....)

Edited by profreader

These were a lot of old shows.  But I do agree that they are iconic or classics so a lot of people would recognize them.  Doesn't mean I didn't know almost all of them.  :-)  Yes, from the comfort of my own sofa, not saying I'd get them if I were an actual contestant. 

MuuMuu Chainsmoker... I was so sort of keyed up that I don't think my brain could process that YES THIS TIME IT IS LOVE BOAT...

There was something else I realized -- not only do shows these days not really have theme songs, it's so easy to skip the beginnings (either binging on Netflix, skipping ahead on DVR.) There was a mini topic a while back about which credit sequences do you never skip -- I used to always watch the Six Feet Under credit sequence ... then Dexter ... but lately I can't think of one I'd always watch. Maybe House of Cards.

This was probably my most personally satisfying game time ever, not just because I felt smart at getting so many right, but because I knew so many of them by some weird, subterranean lizard brain instinct - as someone born in 1980, I wasn't sure HOW I knew with such confidence that it was Magnum PI/Rawhide/Northern Exposure, etc, but my 2-10 year old brain had it locked somewhere inside. If you'd given me the show and not the theme song, no way my brain could retrieve it.

Oh, Cheers. Apparently not everybody knows your name.

Does anyone else have a problem with The Number 17? Nowadays every time someone says "17" I have this strong urge to say "the spread eagle."

I do too. And I've been known to refer to 34 as "the double spread-eagle".

Does anyone else have a problem with The Number 17? Nowadays every time someone says "17" I have this strong urge to say "the spread eagle."

I don't but I have to fight the urge to do the robot when I hear 19.

I'll also say that aside from on-the-spot mental vaporlock (which is my only excuse for missing Magnum, forfuckssake), the sound quality here is WAY WAY better than what I was hearing in my headphones. I was listening to a bunch of these and thinking "how in the hell did I miss that?" and then realized "oh...because it didn't sound like that!" Not blaming Dave by any means -- it's probably just innate to the setup. (You can also tell there's always a little sound lag between Dave/Tara and our responses.)

Anyway, it was awesome to get to play a Game Time again!

I'll also say that aside from on-the-spot mental vaporlock (which is my only excuse for missing Magnum, forfuckssake), the sound quality here is WAY WAY better than what I was hearing in my headphones. I was listening to a bunch of these and thinking "how in the hell did I miss that?" and then realized "oh...because it didn't sound like that!" Not blaming Dave by any means -- it's probably just innate to the setup. (You can also tell there's always a little sound lag between Dave/Tara and our responses.)

Anyway, it was awesome to get to play a Game Time again!

I think I probably had my sound in my headphones turned down farther than I needed to (trying to avoid echo) so that contributed a bit... at least for Love Boat. Weirdly I knew Rawhide but somehow thought... oh that can't be it. Lesson: go with your gut.

Am I clutching at straws ... maybe ... yes.

Still, that was **so** much fun. And gives me new empathy for the next time I create a game. (Wait... no it doesn't ...)

I think all of Belgrave and possibly the Dandenong Ranges, where I was driving at the time could hear me repeatedly shouting, it's Cheers!!! But then again Cheers is maybe my favourite comedy ever.

I have some kind of mental block when it comes to identifying things by sound, so I did terribly playing along in my kitchen! Even though I knew almost all of these, I would have needed a 5-second clip for most of them, I think. I got a few that are programmed deep in my lizard brain after one second--Buffy, Alias, others that I used as ringtones for a time in my life--but in general, this kind of thing is not up my alley, so I'm very impressed with all of you. Very fun game time, and a nice change to let people guess with no penalty after the one-second clip.

This was probably my most personally satisfying game time ever, not just because I felt smart at getting so many right, but because I knew so many of them by some weird, subterranean lizard brain instinct - as someone born in 1980, I wasn't sure HOW I knew with such confidence that it was Magnum PI/Rawhide/Northern Exposure, etc, but my 2-10 year old brain had it locked somewhere inside. If you'd given me the show and not the theme song, no way my brain could retrieve it.

I felt the same way. I don't know how I got the themes to shows I've never seen before in only 1 second, but there's definitely something lizard brain-y to my pop culture knowledge. Plus, repeated viewings of all of the I Love the 70s, 80s, and 90s shows on VH1 probably helps.

Crossword spoiler 

"Tiny paper" anagrammed (aka "strewn about") = "Trip Payne".

Trip, not to be all creepy and stalky, but I remember you way back when you were making crosswords for Games Magazine as a young pup.  I always thought your name was a pseudonym that I just didn't understand!

I miss Games Magazine SO MUCH. I was just talking about my love for it yesterday.

SO much love. The fake ads, the hidden contests.  To this day, I still know that worcestershire sauce has anchovies and tamarinds because of the Scavenger Hunt they ran one year in the pre-internet days.  

Errrr, to get back on topic:   I wish we could do a TV screencaps scavenger hunt.

Isn't it still a thing? I "flew to America" the other day to find another magazine that isn't sold here, and it came up as a suggestion?

Like everything else, it's crazy expensive to ship to Australia.  Will hit you up separately to hear about this flying to America thing.  :)

Star Trek: Vortex

The Last Starfleet starship is tossed 500 years into their past and tries to avert their dark future. The crew from the future will have to contend with the "modern day" federation who are medieval in comparison to their crew, as well as what they can risk changing and what can't be stopped. The crew sees their mission is to save the soul of the federation, stopping them from going down a dark path that leads to their ultimate destruction.

Samson Delilah

Sitcom in the stupid husband/hot wife vein. Samson is super humanly strong (check out Judges 13-16 for the whole story), and she wants to find out the source of his strength. I would want this to be done by the crew behind (500) days of summer.

I don't watch this show, but I totally would if any of these castings happened: Bobby McFerrin as a Suge Knight type just released from prison, Tatyana Ali as a crazy talented back up singer who no one wants to give a chance to (because they want to keep her doing back up), and Alfonso Ribeiro as novelty rapper turned international action star/cultist.

Thanks for your list of odd OJ Simpson books/shows. I'm also reading Toobin's book, but I'm here to talk about something so bizarre that I need to share it. Thanks to the podcast crimewriterson [http://www.crimewriterson.com],I found a This American Life about a prank show starring OJ Simpson. I haven't found the actual show, and I don't really want to, but this TAL episode is a must-listen if you're watching The People vs. OJ Simpson. Link here: http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/564/too-soon [Act One]. So, so weird.