Type keyword(s) to search

Extra Hot Great

David T. Cole
  • Start Topic

JOE - OMG thank you for coming back for a visit - YAY!!  Last EHG I kept thinking... oh, what would Joe say about all this as a reality TV guru and I even commented... I really really miss Joe and I wish he was coming back for a visit.  (My comment seems to be missing so now I am wondering if I dreamed that bit of it..?)   Anyhoo... you came back!!  YAY!!  I may have to start watching Witches of East End and Penny Dreadful!!  Thanks guys.

@Tara Ariano "interesting" (read not interesting, and you probably already know) note about the two plastic surgeons being featured on Botched. They are Paul Nassif (ex husband of Adrienne Maloof) and Terry Dubrow (husband of Heather Dubrow) both of Real Housewives "fame" also Terry was the plastic surgeon on The Swan! Yay? I know I'll be watching because this show is right up my ally. 

• Love 1

Our esteemed colleagues Jeff Drake and Nick Rheinwald-Jones join the gang to talk Game Of Thrones, including the fate of The Hound, why Stannis sucks, whether we can compare the show to The Sopranos, and the wisdom of locking the door before visiting, er, the throne. We went around the dial with Playing House, Orange Is The New Black, and Last Week Tonight; Dave recommended the wonderfully bad Unsealed: Conspiracy Files, and VP of the Nobody Cares Department S. Douglas Bunting reviewed Those Who Kill. After assessing an X-Files classic for The Canon, we crowned a Winner and Loser, then celebrated a "read wedding" during a password-based Game Time. It's a magical episode that gets pretty Ser-ious!

Hey Dave, I'm not sure if it's just me, but when I try to download the episode via Direct Download link, I get redirected to the download for the previous episode... would it be possible to check on the Direct Download please? 

I'm really looking forward to hearing it! :)

The Canon submission made me so nostalgic.  My husband has never watched the X Files and I was afraid he would get bogged down by the mythology.  I think I'm going to get him started with the "Monster of the Week" episodes.  "Small Potatoes" and "Syzygy" are my favorites.    

...yes. I thought it was okay since Jeff had just said it, and I guess Dave wasn't paying attention (unlike with "Firefly," which may have been why I thought it was kosher that time??? Not to excuse my shaky grasp on the rules).

• Love 2

Hey guys...not sure what your mike situation is, but sometimes it's impossible to hear the end of people's sentences (Tara in particular). We rewound (!) several times to try to understand what you guys wish there was less of in John Oliver's show. Boobs? Boos? Anyway the trailing off is something we've noticed for awhile, so SPEAK UP TARA. :)  

Loved this mini. I'm surprised that nobody mentioned Josh Bowman, who plays Daniel Grayson on Revenge and says his vowels really oddly. I know that Sarah has complained about him before!

Gregg Sulkin on Faking It is also terrible. They should have just made him an English transfer student or something, because he slips up constantly.

And finally, half the cast of Reign and almost all of the guest stars sound like exactly what they are -- Canadians (badly) attempting English accents. Tahmoh Penikett guested recently, and I have no idea what he was trying to do, but I know that it did not work.

• Love 2

I'm glad (and not surprised) that Peter Dinklage and Dominic West were both mentioned because...yikes.  

Another accent that stands out to me as terrible is Julianne Moore's in her guest role in 30 Rock.  To the point that I've never been sure whether it's intentionally bad or not.  

Tahmoh Penikett guested recently, and I have no idea what he was trying to do, but I know that it did not work.

Tahmoh guested Bomb Girls where he performed an absolutely horrible fake accent, too.  That I think was supposed to be British?  But it didn't sound like anything recognizable.  

• Love 1

I thought that at first too, Denay, but I remember watching or reading an interview with Julianne Moore where she talked about it that left me with the feeling that it was a legitimate attempt.  So I'm just unsure.  It's certainly preferable to assume it's bad on purpose.

• Love 1

Yeah, as Tara mentioned, I have a whole long list of accents that suck on TV, and I'm always adding to it! Apart from the ones I listed in my email suggesting the mini topic, there's also Charlie Hunnam's accent on Sons of Anarchy (which I routinely criticized in my SOA Marathon Diary because it was SO DISTRACTING), every fake Northern Irish accent on SOA, and Tatiana Maslany's "Cockney" accent as Sarah on Orphan Black (good actor, but that accent doesn't work, SORRY). Oddly, one accent that is objectively weird yet doesn't bother me is Morello (Yael Stone)'s Boston/NY/crazy amalgam on OITNB. I give Stone some slack since she's Aussie and she also said she tried to make the accent a combo of a bunch of East Coast sounds, so whatever. Also, crazy character needs a crazy accent. 

• Love 2

Learned correspondent Jeff Alexander returns to discuss what worked and what didn't in the season finales of Fargo and Orphan Black. Around The Dial takes us through The Haunting Of..., Doctor Who, Big Brother, Enlisted, Tyrant, and Dominion. Jeff makes the case for The Walking Dead's "Seed" to be inducted into The Canon, and then after naming the week's Winner and Loser, we dig into a thrilling new Game Time from Trip Payne. Grab your sisters, bundle up, and enjoy!

Picci hooks me up for once!

Fun show.

Was it me, or could anyone else visualize Dave rolling his eyes every time Jeff spoke (especially toward the end)? Jeff was no Joe, in spite of their common, short, name-beginning-with-J similarities.

I was always under the impression that Julianne Moore's accent in 30 Rock was supposed to be comically bad/fake. I think that's the joke.

30 Rock referenced her accent in the episode where they're making the movie about Avery's abduction - Kidnapped By Danger. Cynthia Nixon, who plays movie-Nancy, asks if she's going too big on the accent, to which Liz responds "That's what people from Boston sound like to me." I don't know if JM's was supposed to be bad on purpose, but they did at least turn into the skid.

• Love 3

I got 30 points this Game Time! Of course, that's not all that impressive considering I get to answer all of the questions, but I felt proud of myself for getting several of those without an extra clue. Congrats, Sarah! That was a fun game to listen to.

(edited)

I have to agree with Dave and Tara (um...I think?  I listened yesterday so obviously I've already forgotten who said what) about the actress who plays Kira on Orphan Black.  I consider her a weak point.  I mean, it feels a little mean to criticize the performance of a little kid, but I find she has this blankness that bothers me.  

That was a really interesting Game Time mostly because I had no idea that so many TV-show-themed board games existed.  

Edited by smrou

General request about Game Time: Could the full list of clues for future Game Times be posted somewhere, so that we can play the game "at home" (i.e., with people who don't subscribe to the podcast)? (I'm assuming this isn't too hard, seeing as Dave already has all the clues on his screen, so it's just a matter of posting it somewhere. Or maybe there's no place to post it...)

(edited)

Aw shucks, thanks.  My only regret was that some of the fun second clues never got a chance to be read (in particular "Be the first player to hunt down a suspect and collect all the tools needed to make them your victim, then make your way to the MARINA without being caught and win the game").

There are CRAPLOADS of TV-based board games.  These 37 were the best I could find where I was able to get clear enough photos of the actual rules (not the game box blurbs), and where there were at least two clueful rules.  I suspect I might be able to find enough for a sequel down the road, but it'll take a while.

Edited by Trip

Thank you thank you.  I feel so vindicated right now because I have been saying the same thing for years but no one has agreed with me!!

I have never watched more than 10 minutes of House because I always thought Hugh Laurie sounded like a recovering stroke victim.  I have an uncle who had a stroke about 10 years ago and he speaks in the same way I think, kind of forced?  It is very strange.  Hugh Laurie, I loved in Blackadder, despised in this.  What do I know, this show went on for about a million years so whatever.

THANK YOU FOR MENTIONING DRUCILLA!!!  Her accent was the worst.  Whacked out fake ass Artful Dodger.  Terrible stuff.  And yet I remember reading from Joss that Juliet was cast FIRST and James Marsters was later hired because he fit so well with her!!!  I mean, Joss thought she was good!!!!  I still don't get it.  She still makes me cringe. 

Love accent cops, please make this a regular mini!  I know you've mentioned it before but I do think Julia Ormond on WOEE deserves a special look.  She makes me laugh so hard....

• Love 1

That was a really interesting Game Time mostly because I had no idea that so many TV-show-themed board games existed.

There are CRAPLOADS of TV-based board games.  These 37 were the best I could find where I was able to get clear enough photos of the actual rules (not the game box blurbs), and where there were at least two clueful rules.  I suspect I might be able to find enough for a sequel down the road, but it'll take a while.

I LOVED this gametime and kicked ass at it because I, nerd that I am, used to collect television show themed board games. I still have over 30 in my collection. Trip if you need help developing a sequel to this game I would be happy to help!!

Great episode, as usual. 

I always thought the "Timey Wimey" thing was super annoying. I have no idea how or why it caught on. 

If you want to see a really good Doctor-filled episode with a good companion that's pretty scary and emotionally wrenching, you have to watch the Silence in the Library/Forrest of the Dead two-parter. Way more indicative of the series at its best.

I gave "timey-wimey" a pass initially because the episode treated it as a stupid thing to say. Sally Sparrow smirked at it, the Doctor realized he sounded like a fool-- it worked in context. And it matched Tennant's characterization of the Doctor: he would leap before he looked and apparently start sentences before he knew where they'd go. It made sense at the time. When the show started referencing it again and again as Moffat became the show runner, then it became intolerably self-satisfied. The phrase "crawling up your own b-hole" comes to mind.

Am I wrong in detecting some passive-aggression in this Canon submission? I half-expected Sarah to say, "Alright, we've watched 'Doctor Who' for the Canon. (You can all stop writing us now.)"

I'm not generally a sci-fi person, so the cutesiness of the show, including "timey-wimey", is one of the main things that got me on board as a Who fan. The other being David Tennant. That being said, I'm very surprised that this made it into the canon, and even more so that Sarah voted for it when it would have made it in without her vote.

Also, the timing was way off when I streamed it from the site. As in, the notes say Cold Justice et. al starts at 17:00, but when I skipped ahead to get to that, it actually didn't start until 24:05. Is that just a weird fluke with me?

I just have to say that we totally had Zoodles and Alpha-getti (creepy gobbler commercial), at least in my part of the US. The Zoodles commercial played always, and I remember the navy blue label with the palm tree and animals, but my mom wouldn't buy it or the Boy-ar-dee stuff. I guess I had no clue it was Canadian!

(edited)

You should have seen the faces Sarah and I made at each other during the Zoodles segment. It was very "Did we accidentally wander into Canada when we were drunk?"

Edited by Lilit

I used to have Zoodles and Alpha-Getti all the time as a kid.  My favourite, though, was U.F.O.s.  Basically the same thing, only in alien shapes.  And we always used to get the ones with little tiny meatballs in 'em.  Man, those were good....

Also, the timing was way off when I streamed it from the site. As in, the notes say Cold Justice et. al starts at 17:00, but when I skipped ahead to get to that, it actually didn't start until 24:05. Is that just a weird fluke with me?

Denay - that is almost always the case with me when I stream directly from the site, but it didn't happen with this episode! So it's not just you overall, but it might've been just you in this particular instance. : - )

Denay - that is almost always the case with me when I stream directly from the site, but it didn't happen with this episode! So it's not just you overall, but it might've been just you in this particular instance. : - )

The timing was way off for me too.