Type keyword(s) to search

Extra Hot Great

David T. Cole
  • Start Topic

I was the fourth viewer of Work of Art and YES. I went to art school and that shit is a SKILL. Liv was ADORABLE and I look forward to her further commentary. I agree with Leah that Project Runway is too ridiculous with the fighting. I did let my daughter watch seasons 1 - 4 (marathons) with me and we did lots of fast forwarding. She was a lot like you @Sarah D. Bunting - can't they just show us how they do the SEWING?? (actual comment from the then 7 year old)

Yeah, it would be cool to see how they actually construct things vs. being treated to catty bitchery. 

• Love 1

Hooray, you guys are back and I can catch up! I enjoyed this ep very much, especially hearing about Face Off. I had no idea such a thing even existed. But I am really commenting to say, thank you, Dave for being Poo Vigilante. I always wondered what was going on when I found random poo bags. I wanted to be optimistic and tell myself people were just dropping them by accident, but my gut knew better. WHY BOTHER BAGGING IT?

Anyway, keep up the good work and I am sorry you lost SB due to internet trouble.

While not as lengthy as in last week's episode, Correspondent Kwan's coverage of FaceOff was again pointed and insightful. "Don't they know I'm only SIX?!" is wisdom for the ages. Kwan the Younger also seems to have a bright future in criticism ahead of her.

• Love 3

I love Olivia, especially when you hear her whisper that she forgot who won the challenge on Face Off. I'm actually going to check out the show because I really want to know what she's talking about, haha.

Also, I would have ROCKED this game time, I think. Or maybe not, since there were a bunch they knew that I didn't...I did know the Gus ones, though! 

• Love 1

You know, "Home" is scary and everything, but if you check under the bed and there isn't a scary mutant hill person, then there isn't a scary mutant hill person.  "Squeeze" on the other hand -- you can't keep that guy out.

Lisin, thank you for posting the video, even there is no way in hell I am clicking play on it. I was really surprised no one said Bob coming over the couch. Talk about burned in your brain scary.

Before this the scariest episode of TV for me was an episode of Fantasy Island with a scary clown. Clowns were never the same for me again.

You know, "Home" is scary and everything, but if you check under the bed and there isn't a scary mutant hill person, then there isn't a scary mutant hill person.  "Squeeze" on the other hand -- you can't keep that guy out.

For me the scary part of "Home" isn't so much the mom under the bed--that's incredibly creepy, to be sure, but it didn't really scare me--but the part when the Peacock boys go to the Sheriff's home and brutally murder him and his wife. That really freaked me out. I think with XF I was used to creepy but wasn't so used to that sort of brutal violence.

I don't watch much scary stuff because I'm a total wuss so probably the scariest TV episode I've ever seen would have to be XF, but I'm not sure which I find scariest. It might actually be "Duane Barry" due solely to the end of the episode when Duane breaks into Scully's apartment and abducts her. I remember watching that one time right before I was about to go to bed and when it was over I went around the house double checking every door and window lock and went to sleep with the lights on. (I should note that I was about 25 years old at the time.) I'm not sure why it freaked me out so much, but it sure did. Oh, "Unruhe" is another one that I find terrifying.

Lisin - I'd also have to pick Twin Peaks. For some reason, I was home by myself when the episode when Maddie gets killed aired, and it was super windy outside, and I was insanely terrified.

Even all these years later, any mention of Missoula, Montana gives me the creeps.

Also, I would have ROCKED this game time, I think. Or maybe not, since there were a bunch they knew that I didn't...I did know the Gus ones, though! 

I would have rocked this game time, too, if I had gotten Sarah's questions. I SWEAR!!

• Love 3

@eteffi, I was cracking up at all your Bachelor/ette nicknames. Angry Bird!

Between this episode and the one where you all talked about "Spooked", I'm feeling inspired to rewatch Felicity... the first season at least! I loved Noel when it was first airing, I'll be curious to see if that holds up.

• Love 1

@eteffi, I was cracking up at all your Bachelor/ette nicknames. Angry Bird!

Between this episode and the one where you all talked about "Spooked", I'm feeling inspired to rewatch Felicity... the first season at least! I loved Noel when it was first airing, I'll be curious to see if that holds up.

Well, I have to give credit to Sarah for Angry Bird (and Low-Flow Shower Head, at that). 

I think you'll find that Felicity holds up really well, while your fondness for Noel may not.

• Love 3

I bet I'm not the only person who, every time Dave interjects "I have a question", feels the need to respond aloud with "Game time?"

I have actually said that a little too loud in my office and gotten weird looks from passers by! 

• Love 1

Well, I have to give credit to Sarah for Angry Bird (and Low-Flow Shower Head, at that).

My mistake!  Enjoyed your commentary on the show anyway, looking forward to commentary on "Bachelor in Paradise".

Claremont-era X-Men as a daytime soap. If you pace it like a daytime soap, you can manage the budget by having one battle every six months, and the rest of the time is interpersonal drama.

You know what's not smart? Listening to this episode as you're going to sleep at night. SHUDDER. (Like, I'm half-reading these comments through my fingers because I'm such a suggestible wuss.)

Sorry Tara, I am going to have to politely disagree that The Leftovers TV show is ANYTHING like the book.

Justin Theroux's character is not at all the guy I read in the book. Not even close, and it completely kills the overall mood of the story.

• Love 1

Alan's canon submission this week wins the prize as the first time I've ever finished the podcast and then immediately sought out the episode to watch it (well, rewatch it, but it's been many many years). Excellent choice.

When I heard the Game Time was going to be 90s theme songs I thought I'd do great with it, but it was hard. Congrats to Tara.

Edited by smrou
  • Love 1

Dave, the reason you may have pictured an Indian actor for Dirk may have been that his real name was Svlad Cjelli? The 'Svlad' doesn't sound Indian, but the 'Cjelli' sort of does.

I forgot about that but that doesn't scream Indian to me so I think I just might have been watching or reading something about the history of India at the time. My mind goes like that.

From twitter:

@Glark @TaraAriano @TomatoNation @sepinwall Enjoyed the 90s theme quiz, but isn't ALF an 80s show? Aired 1986 to 1990.

Yeah it snuck in on a list of 90s shows I used and I didn't fact check ALF. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Also I'm not 100% the Walker theme was really the theme now but fuck it, that shit is amazing.

• Love 2

I wouldn't want to go up against the EHG gang in a game time under any normal circumstances, but I think I'd have had a shot this week because I watched a lot of crap in the 90s (as opposed to now, when I watch Under the Dome). Anyway, my middle school self thanks you for the SeaQuest and Dr. Quinn themes. At least I know I'm not the only person on earth who remembers that those shows existed.

• Love 2

Oh, the Walker, Texas Ranger theme song is quite real - 

That show was weekly family viewing in my house growing up, and I remembered every word to that song as soon as it started playing. Edited by J.L.
  • Love 2

Sarah's comment (The Knick) about how people in 1900 wouldn't bat an eye at a little kid going to work at the "Diamond Shirtwaist Factory" (oy), was spot-on. I liked the episode overall, but that felt like a real misstep to me.

And speaking of Sarah...when are we going to be treated to the dulcet tones of Dave Bunting on the podcast again? That dude has the sexiest voice EVAH. Mmmmrrrrrow!!!

(OK, have to finish listening now and not reading prior posts about Game Time.)

• Love 1

Man, I do so love the Voyager theme.

I thought I'd be good at that quiz and then I did terribly.  Then again some that were missing that I would have known would have been obvious to everyone - Friends, Seinfeld, Frasier & Fresh Prince. I thought we might get Will & Grace, Drew Carey, Mad About You, NYPD Blue or Voyager.  I did do a little car dance when Homicide came up. Loved that show.

I was really hoping for Batman: The Animated Series.  Now THAT is a good theme song.