Type keyword(s) to search

Extra Hot Great

David T. Cole
  • Start Topic

I'm glad Omar mentioned Lionel Luthor for Business Badasses, because I'd have gone with Lex on Justice League/Justice League Unlimited, a business man so bad ass that he goes to the end of the damn universe to learn the secrets of the Anti-Life to bring it back and defeat Darkseid, not just because he wants to save his own world, but because he can't stand the idea that anyone else gets to win over Superman.

Second place, of course, Bruce Wayne.

Great show overall, and can I say MORE OMAR? Mo-mar, even? I enjoyed this tiny "$240 worth of pudding" aside from him, so so much. And the Taradome rant.

I loved the badass discussion, and would like to add my own under-20: Maeby Funke from Arrested Development (original run). She wasn't killing anyone (I don't think), but she successfully confounded her parents constantly (low bar there), made up a disease and held fundraisers for it, and became a network executive while still in high school.

• Love 1

The greatest Bad-Ass in TV history is Race Bannon from Jonny Quest. He knew weapons and judo and scuba and demolitions. He knew enough science to be the right-hand-man to a genius. He could speak Chinese. He could fly any kind of rig that's ever been made, from jets to hovercraft to whirlybirds to WWI biplanes. And he was the coolest babysitter ever.

And his name was Race, which is awesome.

• Love 1

You want my two cents?

*cracks knuckles*

Military Badass:  John Casey (from Chuck)

Badass Villain: Gul Dukat (from Star Trek: Deep Space Nine)

Badass Siblings: Sarah and Helena (from Orphan Black)

Badass Over 50: Malachy Doyle (from Republic of Doyle)

Badass Under 20: Kira (from Orphan Black)

Business Badass: Kevin O'Leary (from Shark Tank)

Badass Killer: Helena (from Orphan Black)

Badass Nerd: Chuck Bartowski (from Chuck)

Legal Badass: Philip Banks (from Fresh Prince of Bel-Air)

Canine Badass: Hobo (from The Littlest Hobo)

Badass Car: The Black Beauty (from The Green Hornet)

• Love 1

Dave, the other ridiculous vehicle from Knight Rider that you were thinking of was probably Goliath, which was basically an evil truck version of KITT. It was more menacing than KARR because it was bigger.

• Love 1
Badass Siblings: Sarah and Helena (from Orphan Black)

I was thinking Sarah and Helena, too.  Not that Felix and Alison aren't also a fantastic, but Sarah and Helena are both so very badass individually, and they're extra sibling-y what with being twins.  Felix and Alison are a bit of a stretch as siblings are concerned, I think (is the clone of your foster sister really your sibling?).  

Since Tara wondered whether that game would be fun for listeners, I thought it was plenty fun to play along with.  

The greatest Bad-Ass in TV history is Race Bannon from Jonny Quest. He knew weapons and judo and scuba and demolitions. He knew enough science to be the right-hand-man to a genius. He could speak Chinese. He could fly any kind of rig that's ever been made, from jets to hovercraft to whirlybirds to WWI biplanes. And he was the coolest babysitter ever. And his name was Race, which is awesome.

Plus he was hella sexy, and I'm pretty sure he was boning Dr. Quest. Great call, @Solid Muldoon.

• Love 1

Business Badass - Stringer Bell and Badass Killa - Hannibal!! OMG I love Mads Mikkelsen so much. Hoarders makes me feel sick to my stomach (can't watch it - nope, no way) but I screamed with delighted laughter at the episode of Hannibal where a serial killer turns a corpse into a cello. Okay, I'm chuckling away typing this remembering that... hehehehe. Mads you're da best!!

(edited)

Super solid picks by everyone.

Gonna throw in some animated badasses (with videos!)

Badass Villain: David Xanatos (from Gargoyles) He's like Batman+Iron Man. In villain form.
Badass Siblings: Hansel and Gretel (from Black Lagoon) About a minute of this episode will give a sense of how crazy they are.
Badass Over 50: Malory Archer (from Archer)  Clip speaks for itself.
Badass Under 20: Azula(from Avatar the Last Airbender) This might not be the best example, but it's my favorite.
Badass Killer: Roberta (from Black Lagoon). In a show filled with ridiculous killers, she's the most ridiculously kill-ly. 
Badass Nerd: Joan of Arc (from Clone High) Doubles as a badass jock.
Legal Badass: Light Yagami (from Death Note) Kind of a stretch, but I think of legal folks manipulating and writing. Light does both. To the extreme!

Edit: Omar is rapidly becoming my favorite guest. I thought his badass picks were on point and I really liked his canon submission.

Edited by jellysalmon

Badass Nerd: Sherlock (Cumberbatch edition)

In case there was any need to further prove that Hieroglyph would have been the worst, most lazily produced piece of crap ever (including Under the Dome): Fox.com's promo photo for the lead Max Brown is labeled "Max Green." Because hey, they're both colors right? It's totally the same thing.

I made a list!

Military Badass: Amanda Waller from Justice League Unlimited
Badass Villain: Vern Schillinger from Oz
Badass Siblings: Leonardo, Raphael, Donatello, Michelangelo, from Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (I give myself bonus points for four siblings, plus they're canonically ninjas)
Badass Over 50: JR Ewing from the Dallas reboot (I didn't watch it, but I'm assuming)
Badass Under 20: All three Powerpuff Girls, from Powerpuff Girls (come to think of it, these and the turtles could swap places)
Business Badass: Jim Profit from Profit
Badass Killer: Hannibal Lecter from Hannibal.
Badass Nerd: Boz from Riptide
Legal Badass: Harvey Birdman, Attorney at Law
Canine Badass: Daenerys's dragons from Game of Thrones (basically just giant, flying, fire-breathing dogs, right?)
Badass Car: The A-Team Van

• Love 3

Oooh! Me too! Me too!!

Military Badass: Lt. Richard D. Winters - Band of Brothers (it's cheating isn't it? For me to use a mini-series? Oh well.)
Badass Villain: Moriarty - BBC Sherlock
Badass Siblings: Wallace Fennel and Veronica Mars (What? In my head cannon they're step-siblings!) OK, for real, Early seasons Sam and Dean Winchester (I'm soooo behind, don't tell me if I'm wrong now!) 

Badass Over 50: Bill Adama - BSG the reboot
Badass Under 20: WALT (That was a joke) I'm with Veronica Mars for this one for real. 
Business Badass: Mark Cuban - Shark Tank
Badass Killer: Alice Morgan - Luther
Badass Nerd: Louis Litt - Suits
Legal Badass: DCI John Luther - Luther (what? Cops count as legal right?) 
Canine Badass: Backup - Veronica Mars
Badass Car: Metallicar - Supernatural

Not only was Game Time fun to listen to, it also seemed to level the playing field much more than usual. I would totally love to have that game show up again.

No love for Gina Torres? I'd give her Military Badass as Zoe on Firefly (oh right, you guys hate Firefly, right?)  and Business and/or Legal Badass as Jessica on Suits. 

Gus Fring is absolutely the most badass villain. I want a spinoff from Breaking Bad where Gus Fring is alive and hosts a cooking show from his badass kitchen.

• Love 1

My real name is Clare, and when I was a senior in college, a classic L&O:SVU episode ("Denial") that guest-starred Martha Plimpton as a hooker named Claire aired. It kicked off a cycle of my roommates yelling Fin Tutuola quotes, including gems like:

"Don't make me have to come run your ass down, Claire."

"Claire's at that skank hotel in midtown that she likes."

"Claire's going to the Tombs again. What can we do to help her?" [Note: this one was extra funny because the closest bar to our house was called the Tombs.]

However, the only Clare (no i) on TV that I know was 90210's Clare Arnold. Ugh.

OK, hearing Tara pronounce "Tara" like "Terra" is just friggin weird. And then it happens repeatedly! My brain is twitching.

Felicia's grandmother's name on GH was pronounced "Mariah." Then one day I saw that in print (in the credits, so not a typo) it's Maria. I found that to be bizarre.