Type keyword(s) to search

Extra Hot Great

David T. Cole
  • Start Topic

Star Trek: Voyager, Season 2, Episode 15, "Threshold". (As in, the one where Tom Paris breaks Warp 10, mutates into a giant salamander because of reasons, kidnaps Captain Janeway, mutates her into a salamander, and they go off and have salamander babies that nobody ever talks about.)

I think an officially branded Star Trek comedy series would be pretty painful.  Not that a space comedy in itself would be bad, just the powers that be in Star Trek have shown no facility in comedy.

On the other hand, I've always thought a Star Trek series which channeled The X-Files had potential. A small ship of investigators arrived on the planet of the day where something strange or unspeakable has happened.  Hijinxs ensue.  Exploring the dark corners of the Star Trek universe.

Star Trek: Voyager, Season 2, Episode 15, "Threshold". (As in, the one where Tom Paris breaks Warp 10, mutates into a giant salamander because of reasons, kidnaps Captain Janeway, mutates her into a salamander, and they go off and have salamander babies that nobody ever talks about.)

Oh my god yes. I'd completely blocked this episode from my brain. It was the worst ever.

Mad Men! Numberwang!

As Tara takes a vacay, John Ramos joins the rest of the crew to discuss Mad Men's return for the first half of its final season. Has it lost its sense of humor? And how would we like to see it end? We also discussed a few shows we're late to the party on -- Parks & Rec, The Clone Wars -- and one whose party we should have left weeks ago. After considering That Mitchell & Webb Look for the Canon, we gave rare and qualified kudos to Carlton Cuse, and during Game Time, reading was fundamental. So grab some Ritz Crackers (but not a Hershey bar), steal your secretary's roses, and settle in for a real Weiner of an episode of Extra Hot Great

Seriously if you haven't checked out That Mitchell & Webb Look please do. So SO funny.

The series finale discussion was interesting to me. I agree that there's often too much emphasis placed on finales, but ultimately it depends on what the show is trying to accomplish. I remember when Family Ties ended it was turned into this big, overblown thing where Alex was leaving home to do something or other and there were all these big emotional scenes and I thought, 'Why can't we just assume these characters are carrying on living their lives and we just aren't watching them do it anymore?' OTOH, with other series, it seems important to have a definitive end. MASH wouldn't have been the same if, after all the characters had been through, we didn't see them leaving Korea.

But for the self-serving Mr. Carlton Cuse, all I have to say is you, my friend, are the one who set up all the mysteries, so don't come whining to me that it's impossible to pay them off. Not only that, he and Damon Lindelof did weekly podcasts during which they would drop hints and talk about how significant some little Easter egg or plot point was. Then, when it ended and people started asking what was  up with all those things, they have the gall to say, well, that's not what Lost was really about. YOU TOLD ME EVERY WEEK THAT THAT WAS EXACTLY WHAT IT WAS ABOUT! Or at least a big part of what it was about. Truth is, I wouldn't have watched the show to the end if I didn't care about the characters, but I also wouldn't have watched it to the end if it wasn't an intriguing puzzle. I honeslty think it's not impossible to have it both ways, even in the finale. (Yeah, I'm still a little bitter.)

Same goes for How I Met Your Mother. I wasn't nearly as emotionally invested in that so it doesn't really bother me, but the ending was kind of a cheat. I didn't care whether Ted met the mother in the first episode, the last episode or someone in between. It was the showrunners' idea to make it the finale, not mine. So then after all that build-up, they pull the rug out from under it because

surprise! He still ends up with Robin! 

Queer as Folk, S02E11, "The Wedding". Clumsily handled even by season two's lax standards, most people acting out of character, a deus ex machina resolution (Emmett completely forgot he's dating a rich guy! Who just happens to have a mansion we can use for a last-minute wedding! But even though he could make it a lavish event, our show's budget won't allow it and besides, the lesbians don't deserve it!), and the subplot to what should be an emotional episode is Michael and Ted arguing about an ugly tchotchke the former bought off a street con as a wedding gift.

Do you have a list of previous Nonac "winners"? All I can find are the Canon entries.

I don't know if there's a list anywhere, but I think the complete list is:

• 30 Rock S05.E04: Live Show (audio here – see caveats)
  • Battlestar Galactica S02.E14: Black Market (audio here – same caveats)
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer S03.E10: Amends (here – no caveats!)
Shows that stayed too long at the party, and when they should have actually departed.

HerrElvis raised the inverse in the comments, so I thought I'd bring it over here: What show do you wish had survived longer after a dramatic change in the status quo?

• Love 1

Since Tara was kind enough to bring this over to the boards, I thought I would bring over my comment from over there.

The show that made me think of this was Angel.  Season 5 revitalized the show by making Angel's team part of the system they had been fighting against for years.  I liked the inherent conflict that brought, and I think the writers could have done *so* much more with had they been given the time.  The last few episodes of the show were a rush job to resolve things that could have been an entire season's worth of story.

• Love 3

Agreed.  I would have liked to see what would have happened with Lindsey's character.  I always enjoyed the pissing match between him and Angel (especially when he was so bitter over his plastic hand) and since their roles had gotten reversed with Angel working at Wolfram and Hart and Lindsey trying to take it down it could have been fun. And more Adam Baldwin towering over and beating the crap out of people would have been nice.  

• Love 1

The episode.

As someone who only recognized one of the dog breeds, here they are for visual comparison:

Nashville's Scarlett as a silky terrier (Tara) or Komondor (Sarah):
XdASz1l.jpg Ys9BaFW.jpg kyWlVJI.jpg

Adrian Monk as a Portuguese water dog (Dave):
05wI4z1.jpg anA1e6q.jpg

Turn's Abe Woodhull as an American fox hound (Sarah):

ECilRty.jpgjlsO8mv.jpg

Rick Grimes / Don Draper as basset hounds (Will):

VB57bbA.jpg Dr3iuN7.jpg 9Am4S24.jpg

• Love 6

Good call on Dennis O'Hare @Sarah D. Bunting. I am always so sad watching that ep of Law & Order (Mothership). The sister is heartbreaking as someone who wants to protect & defend her brother but not his actions. It's a tough one for me to watch.

As a person who should have been HIGHLY medicated in my twenties it's always hard/annoying as HELL to watch the portrayal of mental illness in the media. I think you have been nicely outraged for everyone (thanks!) on the whole Black Box bullshit. They always seem to want to pick on bipolar disorder as the "dramatic" choice when for most people it's not dramatic to anyone but the people trying to hold their shit together. When you are homeless because you somehow blacked out and spent your rent money (on clothes? dinner?) it's drama for YOU (the ill person) but really kind of boring to watch.

• Love 3

Going back a ways on this, but mine is Dark Angel. The second season finale (also the series finale) had the transgenics forming a settlement in Terminal City and implying that they were going to essentially secede from the city. I really wish the show would have stuck around for at least one more season to explore all the ramifications of that decision.

• Love 1

I think you've hit the nail on the head with the "boring to watch" problem. The most common mental illnesses, depression and anxiety, both involve social isolation and withdrawal from outside activities. I can't imagine anything more boring to watch than someone lying in bed alone, not showering, and watching bad TV all day. Most bipolar people I know struggle more with depression than mania, and have depressive episodes that can last for 4-6 months at a time, whereas manic episodes tend to only last 3-4 weeks (YMMV, of course).

Personally, my favorite TV mental illness portrayal was Josh Lyman on The West Wing with the PTSD episode, although they did kind of cheat at the end by implying he was mostly cured after one session. But then, PTSD is about the only mental illness I *don't* have.

• Love 2

Personally, my favorite TV mental illness portrayal was Josh Lyman on The West Wing with the PTSD episode, although they did kind of cheat at the end by implying he was mostly cured after one session. But then, PTSD is about the only mental illness I *don't* have.

Yes! I really liked that one too. I actually think it's a pretty good portrayal of triggers. And yeah it's a cheat but I guess we can just assume he goes for therapy every week like the rest of us. ;)

The discussion of KITT made me think of something Wil Wheaton said on one of the "I Love The..." shows, that he was guest starring on St. Elsewhere and William Daniels spoke to him and he couldn't figure out why the voice of KITT was coming out of his mouth.

• Love 1

I couldn't even start watching Black Box due to (all too recent) past experience with someone suffering from bipolar disorder (and not dealing with it, and putting people/children in bad situations), and just KNOWING it was not going to be handled in a responsible way by the show. I just had to walk away from that.

I could also rage for days on the portrayal of autism and Aspergers on tv, but that's a post for another day. :)

• Love 3

First, in a weird twist my Timehop for today just reminded me that exactly 2 years ago today I was watching The Inner Light and cared so deeply about it that I felt the need to post my viewing on Facebook. Which leads me to my second point of, I disagree! I am a huge TNG fan and this is one of my favourite episodes. So sad that you did not find it cannon worthy.

The great Joe Reid returns to his old stomping grounds for a roundup of the shows we'll be watching this summer, as we each pick one respectable series and one piece of beloved garbage. A super-sized Around The Dial features talk of game nights, possible movie news, and the shows that have disappointed Sarah and Tara most this week. Joe presents the "Valerie Relaxes In Palm Springs" episode of The Comeback for submission into The Canon, and then after identifying the Winner and Loser of the week, we round things off with an exciting, suspenseful Game Time about shows that noooooooobody remembers. Get into a kiddie pool and enjoy!

Full details:

http://previously.tv/extra-hot-great/ehg-33-summer-tv-weather-report/

• Love 1

Best Game Time Ever. It was like a journey through the deepest recesses of my subconscious. So many amazing relics discussed, and it didn't even touch on amazing shows like The Starlet and Are You Hot? and American Juniors and Next Action Star and ...

Scream Queens deserve Canonization just for giving us "And by record, I mean VAGINA."

• Love 3

I had to resubscribe on the iPhone Podcasts app for this to show up.

That being said, great to have Joe back if only for a day.  

Also Tara, I initially made the same mistake regarding the Dr. Frankenstein actor.  This is Harry Treadaway.  The Attack the Block actor is his twin brother Luke (also super in Clapham Junction).  They are both awesome.  I just saw Luke in the NTLive "The Curious Case of the Dog in the Nighttime."  Fantastic!

For a side by side comparison take a look here:

http://mynewplaidpants.blogspot.com/2014/05/gratuitous-harry-treadaway.html

Thank God you're back! I was beginning to get worried.

What does it say about me that this might be the one Game Time that I think I could have beaten the field? 

Can we just parachute Joe back in for Game Times?  Tara vs. Joe is one of the best rivalries in sports.

• Love 1

Show downloaded just fine overnight on the Podcruncher app.

Sarah, I am so glad someone else likes Witches of West End.  I mentioned it to people when it was one and would get the weirdest look that I was serioiusly watching and enjoying something on Lifetime.  It's good, solid fun with just enough trash to it and with very, very pretty people.  Also, RIP Enver Gjokaj's character, who managed to have effective deaths on that and Walking Dead (though I later abandoned that) within the space of a couple of weeks.

Best Game Time Ever. It was like a journey through the deepest recesses of my subconscious. So many amazing relics discussed, and it didn't even touch on amazing shows like The Starlet and Are You Hot? and American Juniors and Next Action Star and ...

Scream Queens deserve Canonization just for giving us "And by record, I mean VAGINA."

Scream Queens reminds me of a better-than-it-needed-to-be show, The Starlet, which was hilarious how for much Faye Dunaway couldn't be bothered on it and for how Viviica Fox was actually trying to be helpful to the contestants.

What does it say about me that this might be the one Game Time that I think I could have beaten the field?

I think that's impressive.  I thought this was a brutally difficult Game Time and I loved it.

So great to have the show back after its brief hiatus and what an extra special treat to have Joe back as a guest. 

I had to resubscribe on the iPhone Podcasts app for this to show up.

I had to do the same thing and then the feed showed up as two different subscriptions, so I just removed the old one that wasn't updating.  It worked fine after that.

The podcast app on my phone worked just find for this episode... which was great, because this week was my game time submission!  Glad to see you all mostly enjoyed it (sorry Sarah)!

A few thoughts...

Listing Chains of Love on CBS instead of UPN was my fault, I'm not sure if it was a typo or if my source material was wrong?

Looking for Love: Bachelorettes in Alaska didn't make it onto the list mostly because it does not have a Wikipedia page (someone needs to rectify this... perhaps the original recapper to burn off all his bad feelings about the show?) and I wasn't familiar enough with the show to go looking for it.  Too bad, now that I've read about the show I'm sorry it wasn't on there!

And I hope you all can track down more on The Player, it looks ridiculous!