Type keyword(s) to search

Extra Hot Great

David T. Cole
  • Start Topic

A "psychic" once told me that I'm E.M. Forsters reincarnation. So with that very special credential, I'll say I can't imagine a less necessary re-adaptation than Howards End. The novel is lovely but slight; the 1992 film is lovely and the perfect size to fit the thin material. Does the Starz adaptation devote an entire episode to how snugly all the furniture fits into the new house?

(It was a ballsy cold read on the part of the psychic. Forester didn't die so many years before I was born that it was even a safe guess chronologically.)

I will never forget how much I love BLLs but I do and always will, even if the second season doesn’t match season ones greatness, season one was kind of great. It’s why I am a little worried of season 2, even shows that are meant to be series long shows never match what they were in a first season. I’m nervous about a show that was never meant to have more seasons will do but I’m hoping for the best.

Having not seen Big Little Lies, it kind of sounds like a more glamorous, prestige-y, Desperate Housewives S1.

I was hoping Dave would have paired the "Someone is biting our child!" clip with "Who will fight me!!!!"

One of my super-ultra-basic cable stations plays 2 hours of Frasier every week night, and it is really amazing to see how funny that show still is. And one thing in particular that really stands out to me is that, even when Niles & Frasier are the butt of the joke (which they very often are), the show still likes those characters. It's much more gentle than, say, Modern Family, which seems to cycle through completely hating at least one of its characters every episode.

Also, slightly off-topic, but right before Frasier comes on there's an episode The Nanny, and it has been very surprising to see the caliber of guest star that show up in the closing credits - Elton John before he was a Sir, most notably. The Nanny pulled, you guys.

Hey, I remember watching Connections when it was first on the Beeb and I was... younger (I recall one that linked Bell Ringing and Horse Manure). I didn't recall that there was an over arching theme across the episodes as well as a thread linking the items within each episode. And the occasionally salacious tone clearly went over my head.

Though I have to quibble with the idea that the Internet was invented for masturbation. It was invented so that, in the event of a Nuclear Apocalypse, guys could still send dick pics across the world (though initially, they'd have to do so using ASCII characters - Progress)!

When I was a kid, my problem with Lost in Space was that it completely misunderstood the purpose of escapist entertainment. A show about a boy having space adventures with a big robot? Perfect. Add in his parents, siblings, and a leering amoral pedophile? No, that's the shit I was trying to escape from, not into.

You guys are blowing my mind with worlds colliding and stuff!
BobServo on Twitter is a guy named Bob Mackey. He hosts a podcasts called Talking Simpsons (an ep by ep granular review/behind the scenes of every Simpsons) that ALSO drops on Wednesdays that I was JUST listening to right before I plugged into EHG. Every week I do this, to the point where I associate the podcasts, so hearing him named dropped on EHG made me feel surveiled.
Tara, you’d like him. He’s also a giant pinko leftie ?

I was hoping one of you would mention that in the 3rd episode, even though Lost In Space is set in some wildly advanced future, and Molly Parker is the apparent leader of the goddam expedition, when the family finishes dinner THEY STILL LEAVE ALL THEIR SHIT BEHIND FOR MOM TO CLEAN UP. I mean, what the fuck?!

Yay for Patriot! So glad to hear this great show being talked about. I've watched it twice and it definitely rewards re-watches. There are so many beautiful and weird details. I've been trying to find information about when the second season comes out but can't find anything.

I can't say why I watched EP1 of lost in space after hearing the podcast, but I did and I kinda liked it. The parents are empty shells, but the kids are interesting characters. Maybe it helps that they are about the ages of my kids.

Kept waiting for a description of The X-Files's 200th episode to turn up during Game Time. Because seriously: "Ben from Lost lives in the Brady Bunch house, kills Bud Bundy, has to deal with T-1000 trying to explain the supernatural to the narrator of Magic's Biggest Secrets Finally Revealed" is perhaps television's most amazing logline ever.

When I saw the title of this mini (and before I listened to it), I thought you were going to be casting your own podcast - i.e. suggesting who would play each of you (Tara, Sarah, Dave and assorted regular guests) on the EHG podcast. Future topic maybe? :)

I think that's my favorite mini topic ever.

I don't know if there's any dialogue around it, it might just be a visual, but all I kept think of was after the helicopter fell on Romano.

Absolute best.

What you're missing is Gus Fring's death, just to troll Tara. But Salamanca's little bell going off probably doesn't pack the same aural punch as Haley Joel Osment saying,"Walker told me I have AIDS."

The link to the Bowling for access to abortion fund is not working - I get a page not found and bounced back to the ptv homepage.

Hearing that ad/psa in the same episode as a mention of needing a husband's permission for birth control in The Handmaid's Tale was well timed.