Type keyword(s) to search

Extra Hot Great

David T. Cole
  • Start Topic

Abba were absolutely huge in Australia. They had number one singles for something like 40 weeks, with Fernando number one for 14 weeks; and number one albums for about as many weeks.

The pop charts from that era are strange... A Boz Scaggs album was number one for 18 weeks! It reads like we were nation of daggy and sincere easy listening fans, and yet there is a huge number of rock bands from that era who are the ones that are actually remembered now, but apparently never quite topped the charts.

• Love 1

Fleabag like insecure and shows like that.. To me it's not so much whether it is for me or not, but rather why inviduality/ originality must come in entertainment that after viewing, leaving me depressed. You smirk or even genuinely laugh during but there is always a bitter after taste. And I don't subscribe to the notion that feeling good is contradictiory with depth and ambition.

17 hours ago, Stowaway said:

Yeah, that's exactly what I was wondering. I heard stories about Kevin Spacey being a predatory chickenhawk starting the first day I heard the name Kevin Spacey. I've never heard any rumors about Chris Hardwick, and I didn't know if that's because there weren't any, or because I just hadn't heard them. I'm pretty good at avoiding the parts of the internet where abusers are defended and women are reviled for calling them out, but I've found people in unexpected places defending Chris Hardwick. Why? because he panders to nerds he must be a great guy? Gross.

Unfortunately, I think we've seen some pretty gross subsets of nerd culture lately. Like the Star Wars fans who pushed Kelly Marie Tran off of social media with their misogyny and racism.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, April Bloodgate said:

Unfortunately, I think we've seen some pretty gross subsets of nerd culture lately. Like the Star Wars fans who pushed Kelly Marie Tran off of social media with their misogyny and racism.

Yeah, that kind of nerd has always been around. If anything, that was the original model of nerdery. What's really been  bothering me are the queer spaces where I've seen him defended. "Let's give him the benefit of the doubt and talk for a sec about how hot he is." It's exactly what happened when Oscar Pistorius killed his girlfriend, except Hardwick isn't even that cute.

5 hours ago, Stowaway said:

Yeah, that kind of nerd has always been around. If anything, that was the original model of nerdery. What's really been  bothering me are the queer spaces where I've seen him defended. "Let's give him the benefit of the doubt and talk for a sec about how hot he is." It's exactly what happened when Oscar Pistorius killed his girlfriend, except Hardwick isn't even that cute.

Oh, that's a real bummer. I always expect better of my fellow queers, but we can be sexist, racist, victim blaming, etc. too.

This ep finally pushed me to start watching Fleabag (it has been on my Watchlist forever.)—so thank you. A brilliant bit I noted: When Bus Rodent shows up again in ep3, he’s wearing a maroon turtleneck. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, SnideAsides said:

Yes, Jeff. The Australian version of The Bridge will involve our well-known bridge to... uh, Papua New Guinea?

Be fair - it could involve that really, really long bridge to New Zealand!

I'm heading to Michigan in about a month for a wedding. I am planning on coming back home with a trunk full of Vernors and Faygo Red Pop. (And I am not even kidding).

• Love 1

During the entire canon presentation and the discussion afterward, I kept thinking, "What's the name of the show? Why aren't they saying the name of the show?!?" It turns out you were; I just didn't hear the capital letters.

2 hours ago, Jeffurry said:

During the entire canon presentation and the discussion afterward, I kept thinking, "What's the name of the show? Why aren't they saying the name of the show?!?" It turns out you were; I just didn't hear the capital letters.

I meant to say this but YES IT IS A TERRIBLE TITLE. Not since Episodes has a TV series been so resistant to being found! When we tried to get to it on the AppleTV, Siri was totally flummoxed.

• Love 2

I just wanted to thank you for recommending Nanette. I never would have watched it based just on the preview showing on Netflix and wow was it amazing.

It makes the sheer laziness of some of Netflix's stand-up shows more annoying in retrospect.

• Love 4
11 hours ago, rab01 said:

I just wanted to thank you for recommending Nanette. I never would have watched it based just on the preview showing on Netflix and wow was it amazing.

That's great! I had such a hard time figuring out how to describe it without robbing it of its power, so I'm glad I was convincing enough to make you curious. :)

• Love 1

Josh articulated what I was trying to say about this new generation of comedy shows like Fleabag last week. The kind that's interesting, original but leaves you really feeling blue or even bad afterwards. Thank God for Mike Schur, his comedy style makes me feel better.

Sorry - in Outpost, does the girl have a magic MOLE or magic MOLD on the side of her face? Because I could believe either. Though if it turns up on my TV schedule, I'm sure I'll watch at least one episode...
Was the show Sarah was thinking of Primeval (starring As-far-as-I-know-not-a-relative Andrew Lee Potts) for the show where people chased dinosaurs?

Hey, is Dave trying to argue that Bat Tech is implausible!?

I wanted people to be allowed to guess at the 2 point level was because some of the names - eg. Luke's - are sufficiently generic that they might be on multiple shows. And there were meant to be no repeats - sorry about that!

(edited)

For some reason I chose an angry baby Batman avatar when I made my account here, so I feel compelled to weigh in. Batman the Animated Series deserves to be in the cannon if only to recognize the reach of its influence across media (what other cartoon adaptation had so much impact on its own source material?), but even I would be on the fence about any single episode being cannon worthy. Monty picked a good one, and made an excellent case. A 20-minute episode may be enough to promote a D-list villain to B-list and change the way he's portrayed in print, live action, and video games, but it's not quite enough to actually make me care about the character (as Sarah would say) qua character.

Also: up until someone said Utah, I was going to need to watch an episode of The Outpost just to satisfy my curiosity; but if it's made in here, it surely makes use of the strange, small film industry that exists only to make adaptations of passages from the Book of Mormon (the iffy religious document, not the musical) for young Latter-Day Saints, which means I already know exactly as much about it as I'll ever need to.

Edited by Stowaway
1 hour ago, John Potts said:

Sorry - in Outpost, does the girl have a magic MOLE or magic MOLD on the side of her face? Because I could believe either. Though if it turns up on my TV schedule, I'm sure I'll watch at least one episode...

Mole!

Was the show Sarah was thinking of Primeval (starring As-far-as-I-know-not-a-relative Andrew Lee Potts) for the show where people chased dinosaurs?

Hey, is Dave trying to argue that Bat Tech is implausible!?

I wanted people to be allowed to guess at the 2 point level was because some of the names - eg. Luke's - are sufficiently generic that they might be on multiple shows. And there were meant to be no repeats - sorry about that!

Seconding John here, this sounds more like Primeval (The Lost World was blatantly filmed in Australia- oh, the wonderful, terrible "British" accents- and there were definitely portals, but not much back-and-forthing with them).

I was literally watching an episode of TLW last night, so this podcast totally made my day, even if the show was being referenced as low-quality (I love it to pieces, but... yeah, fair).

Thank you for introducing me to this CW show, though, it sounds like the kind of garbage fire I will watch for years. :)

On 7/11/2018 at 8:41 AM, John Potts said:

I noticed one of those. Joe's Bar could also work for Grey's Anatomy. (Joe the bartender eventually bought the bar that came up in another question and renamed it.)

On 7/11/2018 at 9:41 AM, John Potts said:

I noticed one of those. Joe's Bar could also work for Grey's Anatomy. (Joe the bartender eventually bought the bar that came up in another question and renamed it.)

Another one: the main character in Early Edition owned and lived above a bar named McGinty's. (so many 'Irish' bars on so many shows!)

6 minutes ago, TheOtherLibrarian said:

Great game, but how on earth was The Regal Beagle left out??

...because I'd have to have heard of it? I'm actually annoyed I didn't cut one of the interchangeable Irish-ish sounding bars and put in "The Drunken Clam" (from Family Guy) as I'm pretty sure its name is unique.

17 minutes ago, April Bloodgate said:

I take it "Three's Company" is a pop culture blind spot for you?

A sad deficiency in my TV lexicon! I have seen the odd episode, I think, but not enough to be familiar with anything on it. I'm slightly more familiar with its British antecedent, Man About the House, though I really only know that from ITS spin off, Robin's Nest.

(Everyone's now probably wishing I would just shut up about 70s sit coms!)

I love the farce episodes of Frasier, what a good presentation! I love " an affair to remember" where they all speak a different language and Niles is in a fencing duel in addition to the ones mentioned by Tara. Also I remember playing a game on sporcle with the same premise as this game time. I wonder if it was inspired by it? Excellent either way!

Normally I kind of zone out during the cannon presentation if it's a series I've never seen before, but I was fully engaged with this one. The presentation was great, and I'm now considering watching Fraiser. (The fact that known sitcom Scrooge Sarah D. Bunting enthusiastically voted this in helps a lot.)

I was promised by the cover of a library book that Needful Things would be the last Castle Rock story, and I stopped reading that one when I got to the photo of Elvis that gives ladies orgasms.

So two things. First, Sarah, I recommend the Bosch books. They are quite good and there's the added bonus of when Bosch listens to jazz you don't actually have to hear the music. Secondly, Dave is really good at reading the food ads.

How, HOW is the SVU NOT a Nonac??? I get the logic of your analysis but come on, those clips! Those clips are just terrible. I'm going to find a way to watch that episode right now. That was so much fun!

It seems like it would be easier for everyone if the client just flew to Laos and killed the gibbon there. Then you just have to smuggle the breastbone, which is presumably easier to conceal than an entire alive monkey.

It seems like it would be easier for everyone if the client just flew to Laos and killed the gibbon there. Then you just have to smuggle the breastbone, which is presumably easier to conceal than an entire alive monkey.

Well they clearly put all their energy in the dialogue so the practicality of smuggling a monkey came second :D

5 hours ago, deangirl said:

How, HOW is the SVU NOT a Nonac??? I get the logic of your analysis but come on, those clips! Those clips are just terrible. I'm going to find a way to watch that episode right now. That was so much fun!

I was thinking that it should be the first simultaneous submission to The Canon and The Nonac. 

8 hours ago, Monty said:

Logic and sense have no place in the world of SVU, Monty!

Also, I had to go find this after listening to the podcast. Consider my work here done.

1517692485437.gif.5e4c85b0624d64e2b9d319c62d47a4df.gif