Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E03: Ferris Wheels and Pinwheels

5 hours ago, DVDFreaker said:

I am scared to see what Hildi will do tonight and I am interested to see what Laurie will do, I like Laurie but her designs are mixed 

I'm so over Hildi and her ridiculous "designs."  I agree about Laurie-I like her, but don't always love her finished products.  I do think , though, that she at least tries to do a good job.  Hildi just does whatever the hell has the most shock value, seemingly forgetting that real people have to live with her stupidity and have limited skills and budgets to change what she's done.

• Love 22

All I can do is shake my head at Hildi’s design, is it possible to let Hildi go so we can stop seeing her awful designs? I wish the homeowners slapped Hildi for painting the doors when she agreed not to! Laurie made me laugh scaring people, she loves doing that! I thought Laurie’s room is really nice, she did great! I feel bad for the homeowners that got Hildi’s room, they seem to hate it and I do not blame them but both homeowners seem like lovely people! 

• Love 13
  • Hildi saying "avant garde" gives me a sense of dread...
  • At least they can put carpet over the floor?
  • "We won't touch the doors" does not mean "I just won't paint them this color."
  • I like Laurie's pinwheel (Paige called it Ferris wheel but I'm not seeing it) wall art behind the bed. I love the wall color.
  • I actually like the flower pictures on Hildi's walls, too. That might be the only thing I like. All that color is just too busy and bright for a bedroom. I wouldn't be able to relax in there. Maybe if they were doing a kid's playroom or something. I liked the before with the gray walls and white trim so much better.
  • That pink section...just ugh. It reminds me of the hallway walls on the first floor of my college dorm, which were Pepto-Bismol pink (thankfully I lived on the second floor which was blue). 
  • Laurie's room I could relax in. It is really pretty.
  • At least the homeowners are laughing...? If I were them I'd repaint, put down some carpet, and maybe keep some of the artwork and stuff.
Edited by ams1001
  • Love 6

There's something about color blocked rooms or ones that are all one color that I find strangely disturbing. Hildi's room wasn't nearly as bad as when her and Doug did the all black and all white rooms, which were a horror movie setting. I would still need to rearrange some things before I felt safe in there.

• Love 2

I came away from the introduction wondering why any of these people went on the show.  You want a "vintage Americana" vibe?  Only Frank would do anything in that style.  And the contemporary couple had a "before" bedroom that looks better than a lot of the "after"s on this show, so I don't know why they don't just change the color scheme and a few furniture pieces themselves rather than risking saying "I like color" on a show where some of the designers are certifiable.

Which brings me to ... Hildi's color scheme sounded so crazy, I wondered if it would be one of those things that wound up coming together into something surprisingly interesting.  Not so much.  I think with different colors, I actually would have liked the concept, but in something other than a bedroom.  I did like the color-coordinated art work.  The couch was hideous, and too much furniture for the room.

I don't love the same color from floor to ceiling walls in Laurie's room, and I find the room overall boring with a few nice touches (I like the fabric and the headboard).  But I knew they'd really like it, and agree it's pretty.  Not my style, but pretty.

• Love 8

They hyped that as Hildi's worst room? She didn't glue anything to the walls! She's done so much worse.

Still, it was ugly as sin. Whoever compared it to an ugly high school cafeteria was spot on.  And if I had been working with Hildi, I would have locked myself in the room after she pulled that door stunt and repainted the doors white. And if that meant the other homework didn't get done, tough shit because she absolutely knew what she was doing; that's why the door was locked! It's very clear she cares more about being wild for TV than creating a space or even showing basic respect to the homeowners working with her. 

Laurie's room was fine but nothing special. I'm sure we've seen some of those fabrics from her before but at least she made a pretty space.

• Love 17

When I realized who the designers were, I decided it was best to just watch the reveal (even then, I would have passed, but I was early for WYWO (Vern!)

So I missed Hildi’s lying ass but got the part where the neighbors were sending mental messages agreeing to help repaint that bs room. I’m usually happier not listening to Laurie talk, but her room wasn’t bad, or at least it seemed like an improvement.

• Love 5

It's very clear she cares more about being wild for TV than creating a space or even showing basic respect to the homeowners working with her. 

That's exactly right.  Hildi is all about Hildi even though she's going to walk away and leave the homeowners to live with the messes she creates.  And the Trading Spaces producers let her do it because their biggest concern is attracting viewers many of whom probably watch just to see what godawful thing she will do next.

Laurie's room was quite nice.  I liked the "applique" design behind the bed although it didn't remind me of a ferris wheel.  Was that the room where someone put the little planter of succulents on the floor?  I didn't understand that at all.

• Love 6

Has anyone ever seen photos of Hildi’s house? I’d be surprised if she chose to do anything in her own home that resembles what she’s saddled TS homeowners with.

• Love 13
4 minutes ago, SHD said:

Has anyone ever seen photos of Hildi’s house? I’d be surprised if she chose to do anything in her own home that resembles what she’s saddled TS homeowners with.

Nope but I saw a picture of Laurie’s living room, she has a yellow couch which is really funny since she usually put yellow paint on walls 

• Love 1

The producers really want it to feel like a gameshow and Hildi is the booby prize. Based on the incessant promo, I was a bit disappointed in the outcome. It was bad, but no where close to her true disasters. I feel like she wanted to do a circus tent, but since she already did one before, with sand, this was her plan B. The taupe part was nice, I guess.

Laurie was Laurie. It was safe and a bit sleepy, which works well for a bedroom. I did like the paint color. I wish they let the viewers know some specifics like that. Her ferris wheel looked like some 1980s sunburst headboard that she just painted over. 

• Love 7
1 hour ago, mlp said:

Laurie's room was quite nice.  I liked the "applique" design behind the bed although it didn't remind me of a ferris wheel.  Was that the room where someone put the little planter of succulents on the floor?  I didn't understand that at all.

No, it was Hildi's team who picked the succulent bowl for the room.  They fretted over finding anything in the Overstock tent that fit the color scheme, and decided that since the female homeowner liked plants, they should pick greenery so she'd have something she liked - as a peace offering - and skipped, with some prodding from Paige, any of the larger options in favor of the succulent bowl.  It wound up being placed in the green section of the room (but I think it was placed on a piece of furniture, not on the floor - although since the floor looked like everything else, maybe I'm wrong).

• Love 5

Laurie's room was pretty while Hildi's room was, as usual, hideous.  I don't watch this channel much and am disappointed to learn that they were hyping Hildi's monstrosity as a reason to tune in.  Personally I don't want to see homeowners be disappointed. 

The couple that had to work with Hildi felt so bad at what they were doing to their friends' room but nevertheless did their best to find the positives in an ugly situation.  And the homeowners who received Hildi's F-U were absolutely lovely.  These four homeowners were some of the classiest, most gracious couples to be on this show.

Anyway, blue is not my color but it looked great in Laurie's room.  I loved all the fabrics for the pillows and didn't even mind the ferris wheel thingy. 

Laurie actually did one of my favorite rooms ever on this show, way back in season 1.  It was a house on stilts in Louisiana.  The space was actually one very large room that consisted of a kitchen, dining room and living room.  What she had to work with was pretty ugly.  But she painted everything she could a soft white (or cream?) and made it into a beautiful space.  It brought the man who lived there to tears, he was so happy.  It was very sweet and what I wish this show would aim for instead of the clusterfuck that comes with Hildi and Doug.

• Love 7
22 minutes ago, Bastet said:

No, it was Hildi's team who picked the succulent bowl for the room.  They fretted over finding anything in the Overstock tent that fit the color scheme, and decided that since the female homeowner liked plants, they should pick greenery so she'd have something she liked - as a peace offering - and skipped, with some prodding from Paige, any of the larger options in favor of the succulent bowl.  It wound up being placed in the green section of the room (but I think it was placed on a piece of furniture, not on the floor - although since the floor looked like everything else, maybe I'm wrong).

I think it was on the floor under a bench or something, but yeah, it kinda blended in.

• Love 2

I liked Laurie’s walls and layout. The fabrics weren’t my style as I am not a green fan. However, it all looked well put together and balanced and I like how all the trim was the same wall colour.

Hilde’s room, I didn’t mind both the taupe and pink colours but the green was awful. The pattern was over the top but it isn’t that much area to repaint. Maybe I would just paint over the green and keep one pink area. I might keep the floor pattern too, as unique floors can be interesting and then if you put a solid area rug on it might be different enough but not too different.

• Love 1

Hildi is an a$$hole. She does not think about the homeowners at all, just her “vision”. That bedroom was horrible. That school cafeteria flooring, yuck! It wasn’t even artistic, just tacky. 

• Love 17

Not only was Hildi's room horrible-the way the room was divided into colors made it look much smaller that it actually was.  I appreciated that the husband tried to compromise with Hildi but hated that she just ignored all of the compromises to which she had previously agreed.  While I really don't pity the homeowners who get stuck with Hildi's so-called designs, after this many seasons anyone who signs up for this show knows that they could end up with one of her craft projects that requires them to spend thousands of dollars to fix.  What I really didn't like was how the stress affected the wife of the team that worked with Hildi to the point that she cried and couldn't even really enjoy her own room from Laurie due to her guilt about what Hildi did to her friends' room.  I found both couples lovely (especially compared to last week) and the only consolation I can find about Hildi's disaster is that at least she didn't ruin their drywall.  However, I'm no so sure about the floor...

• Love 15
15 hours ago, Dobian said:

For a suburban bedroom, no, but for a Parisian loft in 1969, sure!  So I actually didn't hate Hildi's room, I thought it was kind of cool  Just not as a bedroom.

That was my feeling, as well. It didn't work as a bedroom but I do think it could have worked as a child's playroom.  Or a really modernist living room. In the scheme of things, this was not that bad of a Hildi room - like this was about a 3 when it comes to overall destruction and insanity. 

• Love 4
6 minutes ago, eleanorofaquitaine said:

That was my feeling, as well. It didn't work as a bedroom but I do think it could have worked as a child's playroom.  Or a really modernist living room. In the scheme of things, this was not that bad of a Hildi room - like this was about a 3 when it comes to overall destruction and insanity. 

Yeah, it's ugly but the big things can be changed easily enough with a few coats of paint and some carpet. 

• Love 5
Just now, ams1001 said:

Yeah, it's ugly but the big things can be changed easily enough with a few coats of paint and some carpet. 

I think that the floor was actually kind of cool. I could see myself keeping the floor while painting the walls one solid color that was in the floor. Maybe the raspberry. 

• Love 3
49 minutes ago, eleanorofaquitaine said:

I think that the floor was actually kind of cool. I could see myself keeping the floor while painting the walls one solid color that was in the floor. Maybe the raspberry. 

The floor as a focal point for a less busy color scheme otherwise wouldn't be so bad. I don't think I'd go with the pink, though. I liked it better in the can than on the walls. (And as I commented above, it gives me college-dorm flashbacks.) I'd go with one of the more neutral colors.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, ams1001 said:

The floor as a focal point for a less busy color scheme otherwise wouldn't be so bad. I don't think I'd go with the pink, though. I liked it better in the can than on the walls. (And as I commented above, it gives me college-dorm flashbacks.) I'd go with one of the more neutral colors.

The things that always irritate me about Hildi's forays into avant garde interior design by assholes is that: 1.when she screws things up, it invariably costs thousands of dollars to fix her debacles, 2. they usually look cheap, and 3. they are always employed in the wrong space or wrong colors.

This design looked like a daycare, cafeteria, or playroom. The biggest issue was the sherbet palette, but even the fundamental design would have worked better in a larger space. However, I think the design might have worked in the bedroom had she changed the colors to something more subdued like gradients of brown or grayscale even with continuing the color up into the walls. And instead of continuing the color quintants into the furniture, she could have used the furniture color to set off the color gradient. If the bench was in the darkest gray quintant, it could be colored and upholstered in the lightest color. This really could have been an opportunity to truly showcase monochromatic design and how to play with patterns, textures, scale, and slight color gradients. When you look at Laurie's room, it's not like it was a beige colored snooze, but it was more successful because she understands design better than Hildi.

• Love 10
20 hours ago, mlp said:

That's exactly right.  Hildi is all about Hildi even though she's going to walk away and leave the homeowners to live with the messes she creates.  And the Trading Spaces producers let her do it because their biggest concern is attracting viewers many of whom probably watch just to see what godawful thing she will do next.

Yeah, Hildi's design had zero to do with what the homeowner's wanted and was simply an attention grabbing stunt.  Hildi isn't stupid.  She knows that a person liking color doesn't mean they want their bedroom divided into five color zones, or that the design she was giving this couple was practical on any level.

As to Laurie, I really liked her design.  The sunburst looked neat, and the room looked kind of elegant on the cheap, if that makes sense.   

• Love 9

So even though I didn't like the quintangle (whatever) design, I have to say, I was impressed by Joanie's workmanship on the floor. Back in the old days, that tile would have been totally half assed by the homeowners and would have been even worse than it was.

That said, who wants that kind of industrial tile in their bedroom? A finished basement? Sure. The master bedroom? No. 

Plus, I feel like whole idea of the design was ruined by the striped couch that "inspired" the colors.  Um, if everything in each section is supposed to be the color of that section, that couch (and fabric) doesn't belong ANYWHERE in the room and made it look worse rather than better.

I liked Laurie's room as much as I like anything that she does - which is to say that there's usually one element too far.  In this case, painting the wainscoting the same color as the walls.  And maybe adding that ferris wheel thing ABOVE an upholstered headboard. One or the other, lady.

• Love 4

I thought the homeowners who were stuck with the Hildi design were good sports.  The husband said he didn't think he could sleep in the room and the wife said maybe they could turn it into a playroom. Hopefully they could afford to redecorate afterward.

Paige Davis - I know it's her job and all, but she clearly sees the distress in people and still has the smile plastered on her face.  They must be paying her pretty well.

• Love 4

TLC usually replays the previous Saturday episode right before the new one, on Saturday evening.     I have to catch this one, and according to my often lying cable guide Pinwheels is at 6 p.m. Central/7 p.m. Eastern, and the new one is 7 p.m. Central/8 p.m. Eastern.     Of course, strange things happen sometimes.     I really want to see this one, and the new one sounds good.  

• Love 2
(edited)
2 hours ago, Shermie said:

I missed this episode, does TLC replay the show during the week?

Hi, @Shermie

They usually play the previous week's show right before the new show airs on Saturday. I missed the show last week and that was the only time that I saw a replay.

Edit: Oops, I see CrazyInAlabama already answered you.

Edited by TipseyGirl
  • Love 1

Hildi was being an ass. And her room looked like ass. The problem being Hildi fancies herself an "installation artist". WTFE. This is not a good way to get people to appreciate "art". All they see is their adult bedroom looks like the play room at the local YMCA. Also, she lied right to the homeowners faces when she discussed the painting of the doors. Total dick move.

• Love 8

I would have been livid if Hildi's room was mine. The floor alone - I would have wanted it taken back up, then would have to buy real flooring to put down, then probably 10 gallons of paint to cover all the freaking colors, and paint the woodwork and doors back to white. The only thing I could see in that shit show of a room that I liked was the headboard. 

• Love 4

I had hoped this new incarnation would have a different spin but it doesn't, right down Hildi the shock jock of decor.  It wasn't cute the first time around and it certainly isn't now.   Laurie is old news for me too.  Her I don't like her personality or her color choices OR her penchant for busy old lady prints. 

Genevieve designed a beautiful bedroom last season so I have hope that she will continue.  

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Bucket said:

I had hoped this new incarnation would have a different spin but it doesn't, right down Hildi the shock jock of decor.  It wasn't cute the first time around and it certainly isn't now.   Laurie is old news for me too.  Her I don't like her personality or her color choices OR her penchant for busy old lady prints. 

Genevieve designed a beautiful bedroom last season so I have hope that she will continue.  

Genevieve won’t be coming back this season. I think she’s doing her own thing on Netflix

Hey, I don't feel a lot of sympathy for homeowners on this show at all.   Maaaaaaybeeee in the first few seasons where people didn't really know what they were getting into I can spare some, but everyone signing up past that are just looking to get on TV and therefore deserving of the consequences--including our snark.  They know going into it they could very easily end up with crap glued all over their walls, walls painted black with Halloween pumpkin accents, a standard re-do, or a lyrically beautiful room.  

I will admit Hildi is something special though.  When she does an outrageous room, that's gonna be an effort and expense to walk back.  But the homeowners sign up for that, knowing that's a possibility, so you get what you get.  This asymmetric pinwheel room was actually pretty good for a Hildi room.  Leaving that one door white would have been jarring, so get over it--she painted it and made it work with the room.  They wanted modern, and I think Hildi delivered.  Would I want my bedroom to look like that?  Not really, but I'm not signing up for this--ever.

I'm really, really, over Laurie.  She is so focused on being the center of attention, and her little "Oooh, did I scare you?" is an affectation I could do without.  Her rooms are pretty boring and standard "consult a decorator" rooms.  When she's inspired by a fabric I really like, I like the room OK.  When she's inspired by a fabric I don't like, then the room is ho-hum to me.

I have noticed that in this revival of the show there is less smoke and mirrors over production assistance.  They don't talk about it, but it is obvious that a lot of prep work and load in is handled by minions--there's no way with all those extra talking heads, Paige time at the pop-up shop, and the homeowner selfie confession cam footage (and re-takes) th at *all* the work is really done by the homeowners.  Next week I'm going to listen carefully to see if they still make that claim.

• Love 3
On 3/30/2019 at 8:43 PM, SHD said:

Years ago they did a special and her house was mostly all white and spartan.  There should be a reversal episode where all the homeowners come together and redo rooms in Hildi’s home.

• LOL 3
  • Love 4
10 hours ago, walnutqueen said:

I find it hard to believe Hildy is still around, and that not one of her "clients" hasn't punched her lights out,

I would find it very interesting and very telling to see what her work for her true, paying clients (if she still has any) is compared to what she does for Trading Spaces. Or what design(s) she has in her own home.

• Love 3
21 minutes ago, For Cereals said:

Years ago they did a special and her house was mostly all white and spartan.  There should be a reversal episode where all the homeowners come together and redo rooms in Hildi’s home.

Surely by now they have enough homeowners Hildi has screwed over (hay-on-the-walls, flowers-in-the-bathroom, cardboard furniture, sand-on-the-floor, black-room/highlighter yellow table and chairs, furniture-on-ceiling, etc), that they can have each set of homeowners redo the same room that Hildi ruined of theirs.

• LOL 1
  • Love 7
(edited)
6 hours ago, LexieLily said:

Surely by now they have enough homeowners Hildi has screwed over (hay-on-the-walls, flowers-in-the-bathroom, cardboard furniture, sand-on-the-floor, black-room/highlighter yellow table and chairs, furniture-on-ceiling, etc), that they can have each set of homeowners redo the same room that Hildi ruined of theirs.

Now, THAT I would watch!

Edited by walnutqueen
  • Love 5

I thought it was not that bad for a Hildi room especially since (a) 90% of it is repaint the walls you don't like (easy) and (b) the floor can easily be improved with a rug so it's less color; and (c) they acknowledge that they needed new carpet bad--so no matter what they needed to invest in flooring. Now they just need to pull out tile when they do that. I also thought her room looked kind of cool from a "take a picture for a magazine" (such as an ad) as opposed to "live in it" perspective.

Laurie's was nice but I'm already forgetting what it looked like.

• Love 1
23 hours ago, Bucket said:

The previous series had run its course, and now after 10 years has passed, it's proven that the reboot has also run its course.  I watched the reboot to reminisce about the good episodes (and most designs were good at first).  But now, it's not fresh or exciting.  It's still tired and stale.  It's like no time has passed between then and now.  Time to stick a fork in it and let it go away.

• Love 1
(edited)
4 hours ago, roughing it said:

The previous series had run its course, and now after 10 years has passed, it's proven that the reboot has also run its course.  I watched the reboot to reminisce about the good episodes (and most designs were good at first).  But now, it's not fresh or exciting.  It's still tired and stale.  It's like no time has passed between then and now.  Time to stick a fork in it and let it go away.

They had a chance to breathe new life into it but apparently didn't see the need.   

I am disappointed.  I had hoped for much more. 

Edited by Bucket
  • Love 2