Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E11: New Beginnings

ESS
  • Start Topic

Bobby meets Athena's parents for the first time and Maddie attempts to end her marriage for good, causing Doug (guest star Brian Hallisay) to insinuate himself even deeper into Chimney's life. Meanwhile, a tanker carrying a tiger shark crashes on the freeway and a gas leak in a plastic surgeon's office happens mid-surgery.

Great return episode! I missed this show so much. Not my Chimney, noooo! I refuse to believe that he is dead or dying. Poor Chimney and Maddie!  Violent stalker Doug insinuating himself into Chimney's life. Damn, him! I hope he dies a violent death.

I loved all the rescues; the gas leak with the woman's flapping face and the man with the saw in his chest along with the bloody shark bitten arm freaked me out. 

Go Athena with your bad self! I practically cheered when they showed her on the train pointing her gun at that predator asshole. It was so sweet when she hugged those two poor boys. The reunions were wonderfully done. I barely recognized bald Michael Graziadei, Daniel from the Young and the Restless, as the predator. Damn, he used to have the most amazing head of hair. I wonder he was wearing a bald cap or has lost his hair.

Athena's mother is a nasty piece of work. Hen is right. Bobby needs to stay out that messy relationship.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 15

There was so much to love about this..all over the top..all of it tense...and all of it amazing. It may have little bearing on real life but it's 20 times more fun to watch than NCIS right now...The Rookie comes a bit close but 911 is the best....and I can't believe I'm saying this, I have come to like Jennifer Love Hewitt in this role...a first for me.

• Love 11

I fully understand I shouldn't expect realism from this show, but how are we to believe the shark survived the drive (in L.A. traffic!) to the bay(?) while hanging in mid-air? It was stated literally minutes earlier as her handlers were pouring water on her that she had to have water to survive. Just...what?

• Useful 1
  • LOL 5
  • Love 9

This show has always been over the top but it continues to be in a good good way.  Love bad ass Athena.  And yeah her mom is a peice of work.  Not quite sure what to make of it yet or if the show is building toward something..,,willing to wait and see.

Well Chimney and Maddie  sure took a turn real quick.   I am wondering where the show is a going to go with this.  How dark it is willing to get.  This show thrives on outlandish crazy but putting Maddie against her abusive husband in a no holds bard fight to the death might be interesting.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 8

So, is a shark falling out of the truck as close as we get to a Sharknado? 

I love having this show back, in all its ridiculous glory. Its like they somehow find the most wackadoo stuff for them to find (shark attack on the free way! Woman missing her face!) as well as really serious stuff, like what happened to poor little Stevie and the other kid. As many logistical questions as I had, Athena holding her gun on that piece of crap and running to hug the kids was still such an awesome freaking moment. Handel that asshole Athena!

Speaking of, Athena's mom really is something else, no wonder her ex was practially about to run out of the house with cartoon dust in the background when he realized she was coming for a visit. How dare she come into Athenas house and yell at her fiance for daring to be a good future step dad, right in front of everyone! Its disrespectful to both of them, especially her own daughter. 

Things with Maddie have taken a seriously dark turn. Poor Chimney, he better be alright! And I have warmed a lot to Maddie (her and her brother boxing and giggling about dating was really cute) and I hope she is alright and we can leave this whole story with the ex behind. I get why they want him to come back for the sake of drama, but i would honestly rather just watch her piece her life back together after leaving an abusive marriage. 

• Love 18

Oh my gosh that first scene with the face & neck skin flopping! Yeeow disturbing. I sure hope she & blade dude are ok.

Athena warrior for the win. Terrific as usual. Way to kick ass & take names.

• Love 15

So the kidnapped children storyline could have been shown to be even darker, although it was pretty bad enough as it was. I recognized the names that were referenced from real life: Parnell and roughly the same ages of the two boys that he stole and then sexually abused. They made a TV miniseries about it - I Know My First Name Is Steven. God, It was incredibly sad.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, stonehaven said:

There was so much to love about this..all over the top..

After last week’s real horror show (New Zealand), this is EXACTLY WHAT I NEEDED. I’ll take the good wherever I can find it, even if it’s fiction!  🥰

• Love 4
7 hours ago, tvgoddess said:

So the kidnapped children storyline could have been shown to be even darker, although it was pretty bad enough as it was. I recognized the names that were referenced from real life: Parnell and roughly the same ages of the two boys that he stole and then sexually abused. They made a TV miniseries about it - I Know My First Name Is Steven. God, It was incredibly sad.

This was also very similar to a real life story here in Missouri. I will not mention names because both boys have asked for privacy in returning to their regular lives, but a boy was missing for 4 years I believe it was. Another boy turned up missing 4 years after the first boy's disappearance. They found him within a few days and low and behold, the first boy had been held by this abductor for all those years. And they were both sexually abused by this jerk. And the older boy was brainwashed so badly that he hung out with friends from school, etc. and was too afraid to tell someone or get help for himself. When they found these boys, it was a moment for many here in Missouri where you remember where you were when you heard the news and immediately starting crying tears of joy. If you are interested, google "The Missouri Miracle".

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
22 minutes ago, llewis823 said:

This was also very similar to a real life story here in Missouri. I will not mention names because both boys have asked for privacy in returning to their regular lives, but a boy was missing for 4 years I believe it was. Another boy turned up missing 4 years after the first boy's disappearance. They found him within a few days and low and behold, the first boy had been held by this abductor for all those years. And they were both sexually abused by this jerk. And the older boy was brainwashed so badly that he hung out with friends from school, etc. and was too afraid to tell someone or get help for himself. When they found these boys, it was a moment for many here in Missouri where you remember where you were when you heard the news and immediately starting crying tears of joy. If you are interested, google "The Missouri Miracle".

I definitely remember that story. I felt so sorry for both of them, but particularly the older boy.

To bring this back on topic, I kind of wanted to hear more of that mother-daughter discussion on college before the overturned truck and shark attack. They seemed very believable and interesting in relation to recent headlines.

• Love 4
16 minutes ago, tvgoddess said:

To bring this back on topic,

Wasn't trying to go off-topic. I posted this because everyone was saying how unbelievable and/or over the top the stories were. I agree, the woman's face peeling off and the shark were a bit unbelievable (although I remember when this show started they said the story lines were all based on real news stories). But the story of the two boys really did happen (and as the other person said upthread, there was another story very similar to it of which I was not aware either). 

• Love 5

Buck really is a softie, huh? He cried when the soldier showed up at his daughter's Christmas pageant (I think I did too, no shade) and he was full-on cheering when the shark was released into the ocean. He's kind of adorable. And don't think I didn't notice those back muscles when he and Maddie were sparring.

Are they going to resolve Mattie and Chimney and Doug next episode? I hope they don't drag it out but they probably will.

• Love 6

I am happy this show is back in all its dysfunctional glory. I wouldn't be surprised if some of what we think outlandish really is based on real stuff that happened.  Wacky shit happens everyday and you'd be surprised (not) and what people get up to.

When my 2 y.o toddler mistakenly dialed 911 and we grabbed the phone with apologies saying it was a toddler, we got a knock on the door 10 mins later anyway.  I thought it was just standard procedure to responded to all 911 calls no matter what.  Not that Maddie had to ask for a wellness check?

I hope that this Maddie's ex story wraps up pretty quickly and it moves away from him being a stalky abuser and just becomes about Chimney/Maddie.  I don't want to spend too much time in this guy's head.

Athena's mother is something else.  I'd seen the clip where she gets snarky with Bobby because that is what Fox was promoing on twitter.  I love how Athena came in and just said 'Kids' in the no nonsense mom voice with a little cut of her eyes and the kids were out of there.  No 'just a minute' about it. 

It sounds like she didn't even like Michael before he came out.  Outside of, you know, loving men, Michael would an A-1 catch for any girl and most mothers would have died to have him as a son in law. He's handsome, a great father and is a professional with a great job. I think she is just one of those mothers who has a very rigid sense of perfection and no matter what Athena does she couldn't live up to it.  She would have found fault.  Great casting though.  That actress looked like she could be Angela Bassett's mother.

I also liked Bobby and Hen's conversation about it. 

"She named her daughter after a Greek goddess"

"Yeah, the Goddess of Wisdom"

"Also the Goddess of War

.... and crafting but we won't get into that."

Heh.

Edited by DearEvette
  • Love 14
9 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

I still think this crazy show is a lot of fun.

But they need to stop trying to kill Chimney.

Is he the Kenny of this show?

9 hours ago, tvgoddess said:

The rest of his life was too, and (talking about unbelievable things) his brother was convicted of murdering four women near Yosemite. So very sad.

1 hour ago, tvgoddess said:

I definitely remember that story. I felt so sorry for both of them, but particularly the older boy.

To bring this back on topic, I kind of wanted to hear more of that mother-daughter discussion on college before the overturned truck and shark attack. They seemed very believable and interesting in relation to recent headlines.

I loved them showing the mother putting her arm over her daughter's chest when it looked like they were going to crash. Such a natural, spot on, action.

I figure Maddie's boxing lessons will play a part of the opening scene in the next episode. After she's managed to dish out some retribution, I hope they get her husband on attempted (hopefully just attempted) murder, and  get him out of the picture that way.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 7
10 minutes ago, DearEvette said:

It sounds like she didn't even like Michael before he came out.  Outside of, you know, loving men, Michael would an A-1 catch for any girl and most mothers would have died to have him as a son in law. He's handsome, a great father and is a professional with a great job. I think she is just one of those mothers who has a very rigid sense of perfection and no matter what Athena does she couldn't live up to it. 

I agree. She mentioned Athena dropping out of law school. Never mind that Athena is an accomplished police officer who loves her job; in Mama Athena's mind, being a lawyer is more prestigious than being a cop so Athena dropping out of law school is seen as a failure.

• Love 6
5 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

I loved them showing the mother putting her arm over her daughter's chest when it looked like they were going to crash. Such a natural, spot on, action.

Ha.  I loved that detail!

Also the show pointedly showing Athena putting her gun in a gun safe!

• Love 18

I just want Athena's mother to keep her opinions to herself. She doesn't have agree with or approve of everything that Athena does, but if she doesn't ask for her opinion, she should keep her mouth shut. Athena is a grown woman. Her mother cannot protect her from the world. If her marriage to Bobby falls apart, well, that is life. At least, Athena's father backed up Bobby and made her apologize, but I don't know how her husband has put up with her all these years. He must be a saint.

• Love 7

The next episode is called “Chimney Begins”:  “Looking back at how Chimney joined Station 118 and became the firefighter and paramedic he is today.”  Maybe we’ll finally find out the story behind his nickname. 

But that means we won’t find out what happens to Chimney and Maddie for two weeks. I think the promo at the end of this week covered the whole rest of the season. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, DearEvette said:

Also the show pointedly showing Athena putting her gun in a gun safe!

I thought that was a nice touch. Kids in the house means gun in the safe. Too many people get their ideas about gun ownership from media so little scenes like that can do some good.

This show is a crack fest but it's a fun watch and it's weekly Angela Bassett which is just fine with me.

• Love 17
11 hours ago, tvgoddess said:

I was so surprised they actually used the name Steven Parnell. The real-life Steven had a tragic ending, and his brother ended up being a serial killer.  So 911 is now doing "ripped from the headlines" stories, albeit only people of a certain age were likely to get that reference.

I was laughing my ass off at the fire truck hauling the shark and then releasing it in the bay!  It seems like we're back to S1 levels of wackiness.

I expected Chimney to be attacked by Mr. Hewitt, but wasn't expecting a stabbing. Yeesh! On a shallow note, JLH's new 'do doesn't do much for her.

I wonder if that woman ever got her face re-attached, and how the construction worker with the saw in his gut fared. That plotline was abandoned pretty quickly, but then again, this isn't a medical show.

Edited by Jillybean
  • Love 10
14 minutes ago, marceline said:

I thought that was a nice touch. Kids in the house means gun in the safe. Too many people get their ideas about gun ownership from media so little scenes like that can do some good.

Nice little touch.  Two kids in the house and a recovering suicidal alcoholic in the house.  You bet you lock that gun up.      

• Love 10
36 minutes ago, Jillybean said:

I wonder if that woman ever got her face re-attached, and how the construction worker with the saw in his gut fared. That plotline was abandoned pretty quickly, but then again, this isn't a medical show.

I'm always curious whether these people are ever followed up on. I mean I know they don't actually exist so technically they neither die nor recover fully, but I can't help but think about how if I were a rescue worker, I'd be so curious all the time. But maybe it's sometimes best to stay in the dark because you really don't want that weight on your shoulders when it's bad news.

Real genius move from Maddie, who at the moment she's being told that her violent ex has disappeared, opens her front door and walks away from it. Didn't really ring true for an abuse victim who is basically on the run from her ex.

Anyway, god bless this ridiculous show's return! Just don't kill Chim.

• Love 12
42 minutes ago, Jillybean said:

I was so surprised they actually used the name Steven Parnell. The real-life Steven had a tragic ending, and his brother ended up being a serial killer.  So 911 is now doing "ripped from the headlines" stories, albeit only people of a certain age were likely to get that reference.

Many, if not most, of the rescues on 9-1-1 are based on real life events that have gotten national attention. 

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 6

I love how this show just owns its ridiculousness. The first few episodes that I watched I was rolling my eyes and going "seriously?" but then I realized "duh, not seriously," and now I just giggle through the whole thing and unabashedly love it. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 7
4 hours ago, llewis823 said:

Wasn't trying to go off-topic. I posted this because everyone was saying how unbelievable and/or over the top the stories were. I agree, the woman's face peeling off and the shark were a bit unbelievable (although I remember when this show started they said the story lines were all based on real news stories). But the story of the two boys really did happen (and as the other person said upthread, there was another story very similar to it of which I was not aware either). 

The mods here tend to frown on if we go off too far and don't talk about the show events specifically. I wasn't trying to call you out or anything. 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, marceline said:

This show is a crack fest but it's a fun watch and it's weekly Angela Bassett which is just fine with me.

We moved in across from a sheriff's deputy who would come home and leave his gun on the kitchen table, with two kids aged 4 and 2 in the house. Once I saw that, my daughter was no longer allowed to go over there.  Just boggled my mind.  

I chuckled a little at Athena wanting to clear all the cops out of the kidnapper's house so he wouldn't be suspicious if/when he came back.  Ummm, didn't they smash in the front door?  Hard to miss that little clue.  

I do love this show, glad it's back. 

• Love 4

I have to defend Athena's mom on one point.  She just met Bobby, she doesn't know this man, soI can understand how it would be offensive to her to have him ordering her grandkids around.  He's a soon to be stepfather but right now they aren't even married and in grandma's eyes he has no "rights."  Beyond that, though, she was out of line but she had to get things off her chest.

But then I'm not crazy about Bobby and Athena anyway so there's my bias. 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Calamity Jane said:

We moved in across from a sheriff's deputy who would come home and leave his gun on the kitchen table, with two kids aged 4 and 2 in the house. Once I saw that, my daughter was no longer allowed to go over there.  Just boggled my mind.

My biological father (my parents split when I was five) was a police officer and he would leave his service revolver laying out when I was young (35-odd years ago). I remember it vividly. He also had hunting knives laying out on display. He's a deadbeat piece of garbage, and that's just one example of how so.

My stepdad is a gun enthusiast. I have known him since I was 16. I have never once even seen one of his weapons. There's a big gun safe in my parents' house. Not even my mother has the combination.

What a difference responsibility makes.

• Love 15
2 hours ago, Ohwell said:

I have to defend Athena's mom on one point.  She just met Bobby, she doesn't know this man, soI can understand how it would be offensive to her to have him ordering her grandkids around.

But he wasn't really ordering the kids around.  He politely asked the son to clean off the table (which I believe was not the first time the kid had been asked to clean up), so that they could eat dinner....on that table.  The kid gave the "yeah later" answer, so Bobbie got firm and told him to do it now.  There was absolutely no reason for the grandmother to lose her ish, as badly as she did, in that situation.  She was just looking for an excuse to snark out.  

• Love 19
15 minutes ago, Perkie said:

But he wasn't really ordering the kids around.  He politely asked the son to clean off the table (which I believe was not the first time the kid had been asked to clean up), so that they could eat dinner....on that table.  The kid gave the "yeah later" answer, so Bobbie got firm and told him to do it now.  There was absolutely no reason for the grandmother to lose her ish, as badly as she did, in that situation.  She was just looking for an excuse to snark out.  

In her mind that was ordering her grandchild around.  Yes, it was also an excuse for her to snark out, but I could see how she could be concerned.  Plus, even though she knows he "lost his family," I doubt Athena told her the whole truth--that he was responsible for the loss and the loss of dozens of other lives in that fire.   Mama would really lose her shit then, and I wouldn't blame her. 

So we can agree to disagree because I don't like Athena or Bobby.

Grandma's got some issues.  Bobby wasn't being a dick, actually the child was and in my house that would have been the thing that my mom and gram would have addressed. Holy hell would rain down on my head for treating an adult guest with that disrespect. Which tells me that the kids consider Bobby to be family. Whether gram likes it or not.

• Love 10
3 hours ago, Ohwell said:

I have to defend Athena's mom on one point.  She just met Bobby, she doesn't know this man, soI can understand how it would be offensive to her to have him ordering her grandkids around.  He's a soon to be stepfather but right now they aren't even married and in grandma's eyes he has no "rights."  Beyond that, though, she was out of line but she had to get things off her chest.

But then I'm not crazy about Bobby and Athena anyway so there's my bias. 

To bring up a counterpoint, Athena's mom WAS giving Bobby the stink eye since she laid eyes on him. And even if she didn't like how she ordered her grandkids around: a) it's not her house, or her kids; and b) She went from 10-100 really quickly with how she basically unloaded on him about his family and how she feels like Bobby is replacing his family with Athena and her kids. She didn't need to get that stuff off her chest in their first meeting. Plus, her anger was more about Athena than Bobby, as shown with how she then unloaded on Athena. 

I also say this as someone who also thought in the moment about how Bobby probably shouldn't be taking such a harsh tone for his first test as a future step-parent, right in front of his soon-to-be-in laws that he just met (so I do partially agree with you). I just think Athena's mom could have just as easily took him aside or told Athena about it later. How she went about things was not right and I think she had her own biases.

• Love 9
39 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

To bring up a counterpoint, Athena's mom WAS giving Bobby the stink eye since she laid eyes on him. And even if she didn't like how she ordered her grandkids around: a) it's not her house, or her kids; and b) She went from 10-100 really quickly with how she basically unloaded on him about his family and how she feels like Bobby is replacing his family with Athena and her kids. She didn't need to get that stuff off her chest in their first meeting. Plus, her anger was more about Athena than Bobby, as shown with how she then unloaded on Athena. 

I also say this as someone who also thought in the moment about how Bobby probably shouldn't be taking such a harsh tone for his first test as a future step-parent, right in front of his soon-to-be-in laws that he just met (so I do partially agree with you). I just think Athena's mom could have just as easily took him aside or told Athena about it later. How she went about things was not right and I think she had her own biases.

Other than how she reacted to Bobby speaking to her grandchildren, I did also say that the mom was out of line with how she acted with Athena.

Just let this go.  I've said we can all agree to disagree about this.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, Empress1 said:

Buck really is a softie, huh? He cried when the soldier showed up at his daughter's Christmas pageant (I think I did too, no shade) and he was full-on cheering when the shark was released into the ocean.

That was so adorable, he was just so happy! Also, I kind of just love how happy everyone was to save the shark, even if she did lash out and hurt one of her trainers in all the confusion of the crash. And the guy whos arm she was eating just kept begging them not to hurt the shark, that is serious dedication. I always feel bad when people think less of the lives of "scary" animals like sharks, and that their lives mean less than "nice" animals that are cuter or dont eat meat, so it was just really sweet to see everyone cheering for the shark to survive and get to the ocean, no matter how far fetched it was. 

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Lady Calypso said:

I think Bobby wouldn't have been so, um, parently, if Athena hadn't sorta egged him to it.  In the preceding scene Bobby was going to clean up the table himself.  But Athena chided him and told him Harry had him wrapped around his finger and Bobby said something like "you're right, he should clean it off."

This is the crux of the issue for me with the mom.  She had no idea what sort of dynamic Athena had established for Bobby and the kids, what sort of authority Athena had ceded.  She just didn't like him so she found the flimsiest reason to call him out.  She was disrespectful of his place in Athena and the kids' life.  And she did all this in front of the kids.

Dude, if an adult in a parental role had politely asked me to clean off a table and I came back with 'In a minute" my grandma  would have snatched me bald.

• Love 20
11 minutes ago, DearEvette said:

Dude, if an adult in a parental role had politely asked me to clean off a table and I came back with 'In a minute" my grandma  would have snatched me bald.

Aww, I haven't heard that expression in a very long time. Makes me nostalgic.

• Love 9
12 hours ago, Bramble said:

The next episode is called “Chimney Begins”:  “Looking back at how Chimney joined Station 118 and became the firefighter and paramedic he is today.”  Maybe we’ll finally find out the story behind his nickname. 

But that means we won’t find out what happens to Chimney and Maddie for two weeks. I think the promo at the end of this week covered the whole rest of the season. 

I don't like the sound of that.  A retrospective on his life? 😧

• Love 1
13 minutes ago, DearEvette said:

I think Bobby wouldn't have been so, um, parently, if Athena hadn't sorta egged him to it. 

I agree and that's why her mother was out of line.  He, Michael and Athena have created a dynamic where they seem to get along and are supportive of one another and each other's place in the new family. That's pretty rare.  Athena felt it was time for the kids to get used to Bobby as a stepfather.  I didn't even think he was harsh.  He was firm but he wasn't sarcastic, yelling or violent. 

It wasn't her mother's place to override her daughter and establish boundaries that are not hers to establish. She did it to try and flat out undermine Bobby.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

I don't like the sound of that.  A retrospective on his life? 😧

It's just his backstory. They did Bobby's in S1 and Hen's last season.

JLH really needs to part her hair on the side instead of straight down the middle.

Chim better not die!

• Love 4

Yall, I was fully prepared for Cosmetic Lady's neck to fall off her shoulders, by the looks of things. I was wrong, however, because her freaking forehead flapped open instead! Sometimes I have to prepare myself for these episodes. I'll admit my stomach churned. Then ol dude had a saw blade stuck in his stomach! Yeah, the first few minutes of that episode were rough for me. Overall, I liked the episode, but I hope they don't plan on killing off Chim. I love him! And JLH looked slimmer to me this episode than last season. Is it just me? 

• Love 7
6 hours ago, juliet73 said:

JLH really needs to part her hair on the side instead of straight down the middle.

Sooooo many women still doing this.  It's awful on most.  Even my damn avi can't get it through her head, lol.

Edited by SuprSuprElevated
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3