Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E08: Maja's Story

• Start Topic

16 minutes ago, TwirlyGirly said:

But with someone like Maya, why in the world would she need someone to stay with her at all, let alone for an entire year? Once it was established by Dr. Nowzaradan Christian wasn't enabling Maya, and she was able to move around and care for herself, why not allow Christian to go on his merry way back to Oregon?

That's a darn good question.  I would assume that a regular home health worker could come in for the couple of weeks POST surgery to assist while the incisions heal and the recovery process is underway.  But after that, a mobile patient should be able to drive themselves to the grocery store, etc.

• Useful 1
  • Love 10
7 hours ago, Motor City said:

Was it ever said how Christian and Maja supported themselves?  Did Maja really think she was fooling Christian when she said she out doing errands when in reality she was eating at 4 to 5 fast food restaurants?

Right. What could she *possibly* need to do? Seriously. Errands are what adults with responsibilities do. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 7
8 hours ago, Pepper Mostly said:

That would require that Maja think of something other than herself. And food.

Team Christian. I laughed like a hyena when he deadpanned "I'll just look and see if Texas is a third world country". I died when Maja complained that they couldn't sit together on the plane. Christian probably slipped the flight attendant a twenty, with beseeching eyes. "Christian. Christian. Christian. Christian. Christian. CHRISTIAN." And he just walked away. That must have been so satisfying. Maja is an abuser. Full stop. Glad Christian got away. I bet he moved to a different state and is living under an assumed name.

I have seen an awful lot of angry, ragey people on this show, but never one as angry as Maja.

Steven Assanti was on the other day.  I think he is in a ragey class by himself.  I think he is the one to beat for the 600 pounders.  Penny and Lisa are also contenders for angry raging bitch title.  But Maja certainly gives them a run for the money.  If any of them could run of course.

• LOL 6
  • Love 12
4 hours ago, Hellga said:

I agree that a parent should not bail out on a minor child - but given how delusional Maja was about everything else, I am not sure how much of what she said about her father leaving her is true.  For all we know, it was her screaming that she hates him and he is starving her and fighting tooth and nail to never go to his place again.  And then her victim mindset conveniently transformed that into her father abandoning her.  

She seems to have a bit of trouble with the truth, from screaming at Christian that the results of her weigh-in were HIS fault, to telling Lola and the other volunteers that her “spouse” left her. I’m not convinced that little scene at the rental car was genuine, either. I just re-watched because I pay more attention to the chat than the actual show when it’s on (heeeeee) and the way she was looking around after her “fall” was like hopeful expectancy — not “hope no one saw that,” but rather “hope EVERYONE sees me!” Homegirl is a narcissistic twat. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 13
1 hour ago, Pepper Mostly said:

The car rental company was ruining everything.

"I fell."  You can bet your sweet bippy they didn't charge her one cent for that rental.  She probably threatened to sue them.   I think she said she was going to go in and cause a scene (or something like that) and Christian asked her not to.  

• Love 12
3 hours ago, Tatortot said:

I don't understand why Dr. Now does not require the pyschotherapy, or visits to the nutritionist before the WLS.   I know for a fact that here and in other areas of the country that it is required not only by insurance but also other agenices.    

The pyschotherapist, and the nutritionist have to sign off on the surgery first.  It sure would save him alot of heartache and time with these patients.

Some require up to 6 mos of therapy before they will even touch you.

I can’t remember which one of our poundtestants I was watching, but I do remember him saying once that he usually only recommends therapy *after* surgery because it’s when they truly can’t eat that their issues come up.  I guess if he were like most weight loss surgeons who require you to participate in a program for several months before they will do surgery, he might do it differently, but these folks are so large, and their health so compromised, he will approve them rather quickly if they can lose the required amount in one or two munts. 

I watch way too much of this show. 

• Useful 1
  • LOL 4
  • Love 10
1 hour ago, AVM said:

Maja's Mother ask Christen on the phone  wouldn't he help a homeless stranger on the street,He answered NO ! He was fed up with her bullshit..

Thing is he probably would help a homeless stranger.  He was done being abused by Maya.  Helping her was signing up for more abuse. 

We were not told on the show whether Chris-shun was working.  From some of Maja's comments about her exciting hunting and gathering schedule, taking down fast food in the wild, I suspect he works a job that he could replace in Houston.  There are other poundticipants and family who have jobs they could move with (I have such a job).  Unfortunately the show tends to gloss over this aspect unless there is major drama around it.  Her mother did not seem to have the type of job(s) where she could relocate and keep her employment.  I did sense mom was subsidizing Maja's income.  Maja's mother probably has little to no savings because she is spending her money on her hell spawn. 

I saw Christian as trying to work his way out of an abusive relationship in a way that left him safest.  Although I did find this pattern of their interactions funny.  They did this at least half a dozen times: 

Maya: I'm going to <throw a fit>, <get upset>, <cry>!

Christian: Don't <throw a fit>, <get upset>, <cry>.

Unfortunately Maja reminded me very much of a former friend of mine.  She topped out at about 385 on a 5'5" frame.  She became very abusive to everyone around her, was prone to rage and fits, and started blaming everyone else for the problems in her life. She would also do the physical move that Maja did to Christian in Dr. Now's office, making herself as big as possible. Like Maja she had a sense of her self as an innocent victim while others were abusers.  The opposite was most often the case.  She died a year ago at 54*.  During the last five years of her life she had major fights with all of her close friends, including me, and was estranged from most of her family.   When I learned she died, I was thrown for awhile since I learned about it in a strange way (I thought she was doing a cruel practical joke - she was not above that).  Then I realized I was relieved. 

*Please, no condolences. 

I assume there was a time when Maja seemed like a nice person to Christian.  I also suspect Maja told him a tale of how horrible her mother was and how hard it was for her to live with her mom.  So he asked her to move in.  Then things got worse from there.  

I feel sorry for Maja because hers will be an angry, lonely life. She has serious problems she may never be able to resolve.  Even though I can say that, I also acknowledge she is insufferable, cruel and dangerous to others.   She is a competent adult. No one needs to be subjected to her rage and acting out.  

• Love 19
34 minutes ago, Barbara Please said:

It took a lot of effort not to turn off this episode. Maja is a self-entitled loathsome bitch! The proof was in the deep fried pudding when she called Mummy after verbally attacking Christian in the doctor's office, and Mummy begged him to stay and put up with her. Yeah, she knows what her daughter is like, and was probably grateful that she left Portland. I'd imagine the real reason she left Dr. Now's program because she can't get someone down to Houston to support her. Also, I felt the volunteering was a ploy to look more caring, and sympathetic on camera. I don't believe for a second that she returned to continue volunteering unless she was given a sceptre  and crown and was made Volunteer of the Universe. I don't give a hot damn about how things turn out for Maja. 

Yeah, I rolled my eyes at her "volunteer" efforts--was she there 15 minutes?  And so much help, tying off helium balloons (otoh what a wonderful charity, to throw birthday parties for homeless kids).

We know she drives--she could deliver meals on wheels, or give people a lift to doctor's appointments, or any number of truly meaningful volunteer jobs.  This was pathetic.

• Love 12
3 hours ago, parrotfeathers said:

I thought her mom made good sense.  Let me say my goodbyes and leave now or I will just break down and not be able to handle it.  She has probably been telling her to be a "big girl" her whole life.  I remember my mom saying that and it alway worked.  Maja just doesn't want to be a big girl.  Or a middle girl.  Or anything higher than a baby that needs comforting.

I've said this before  - these 600+ pounders all seem to revert to infancy where everyone must take care of them.  They believe they are the center of the universe and those people around them are there to serve.  When they become bedridden, how different ARE they from an infant?  They must be wiped, bathed with wash cloths, helped to dress, and food must be brought to them.  An infant cries for food every few hours - how are these people any different?  Except they can verbally abuse everyone around them, if that's their personality.

• Love 9

Maja was a piece of work, but, I think I liked her more than most here did. lol  Seriously.  I did sort of think bailing on her at the last minute in TX was not kind.  But, I get his point too. To me, when you give your word that you're going to do something and another relies on that promise, you shouldn't pull out, unless they are able to get a replacement.  That's my take on it.  She may have had a legal claim against him for doing that, too. lol  Don't be mad, but, in way, it was a breach of contract.  (I drift too much. lol)

What is it with car rental place?  I wonder if the workers get a kick out of watching the fat customers go out to the regular size cars and try to SQUEEZE into them!!!  lol I All the while they DO have the larger SUV they reserved.  I mean, that would be mean, but, I can imagine them doing that, just for the entertainment value. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, Pepper Mostly said:

We had gorgeous, delicious meals, three times a day. Virtually no calories. Lots of salad, fresh fruit, herb tea, whole grains, lean protein. Portion controlled, healthy as hell.

It all sounds wonderful- but I'd argue with the "no calories" part. What you describe is healthy, but it contains calories!

• Love 2

Honestly, I think a very mobile Poundticipant like Maja really doesn't need someone to move to Houston.   Someone could just come down for surgery, and two or three weeks after that, or maybe a home health aide could do that instead.     Maja started off so well with her weight loss, and I was really disappointed that she stopped losing like that, and couldn't accept responsibility for her own cheating.     I don't know how fit the aunt that was supposed to move down to be caretaker was, but I think she would have been better off to have a professional caretaker.  

The out of control way she turned on Christian was awful too.     Christian was very smart to leave, because many men don't leave when they are verbally abused like that.    I wonder if getting Maja's anger issues on film was a reason he contacted the show?     

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 11
17 hours ago, Sasha888 said:

And as far as her bitching about him texting her that he's leaving?? I don't blame him! Look how she reacts to things, holy dancing Moses, if I were Christian I'd have done it that way too!

Except I would have sent the text from the bus, somewhere around Idaho. 

8 hours ago, kj4ever said:

I don't think he was perfect by any stretch of the imagination, but I also think that he might be on the spectrum a bit.  His mannerisms and the way he shut down reminded me of someone that might have Aspergers.

If he does, I wondered if that might have anything to do with the fact that he apparently doesn't drive. Though if I was in his position I would probably shut down in a similar manner, and I'm not autistic.

6 hours ago, cpcathy said:

She called and asked how far she would have to walk? I can assure you that whoever she spoke to had not had that idiotic question before and therefore could not give the correct answer. How is a total stranger supposed to know how lazy and whiny and overweight Maja is by a phone conversation. 

Yeah, the employee couldn't possibly have been simply mistaken. She must have deliberately lied just to screw over Maja!

4 hours ago, Hana Chan said:

We see a real common denominator in a lot of these cases. They're not just eating a lot. They're eating a lot of cheap, highly processed foods with little real nutrition and a shit ton of fat, calories, sugar and sodium. We don't see much in the way of vegetables or fresh fruit or even rich food that's high quality. I've never seen one of Dr. Now's patient's crying that they gained weight because they couldn't resist the log of herbed Chèvre or that they deserved an entire portion of Oeufs à la neige.  It's all fast food crap...

They think Michael Moss's book Salt, Sugar, Fat is a guide to proper eating.

1 hour ago, CringeWatcher said:

Right. What could she *possibly* need to do? Seriously. Errands are what adults with responsibilities do. 

Errands often involve bringing things home, too. Did she think he didn't notice she never did?

1 hour ago, PrincessPurrsALot said:

From some of Maja's comments about her exciting hunting and gathering schedule, taking down fast food in the wild,

Comment of the day! 🤣

1 hour ago, Mothra said:

We know she drives--she could deliver meals on wheels, or give people a lift to doctor's appointments, or any number of truly meaningful volunteer jobs.  This was pathetic.

Maybe she could drive for Uber and make some cash.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, PrincessPurrsALot said:

We were not told on the show whether Chris-shun was working.  From some of Maja's comments about her exciting hunting and gathering schedule, taking down fast food in the wild, I suspect he works a job that he could replace in Houston.  There are other poundticipants and family who have jobs they could move with (I have such a job).  Unfortunately the show tends to gloss over this aspect unless there is major drama around it.  Her mother did not seem to have the type of job(s) where she could relocate and keep her employment.  I did sense mom was subsidizing Maja's income.  Maja's mother probably has little to no savings because she is spending her money on her hell spawn. 

I think its very likely that Christian works, that he makes a decent living, but probably, like many, lives paycheck to paycheck. If he got a job in Houston, he made enough to pay rent and bills, but not much left over. That's why his mother had to send him a bus ticket. And of course Maja was a drain on the finances with her daily "errands". 

40 minutes ago, KateHearts said:

It all sounds wonderful- but I'd argue with the "no calories" part. What you describe is healthy, but it contains calories!

OK, very low in calories. I know food contains calories. I was indulging in a bit of hyperbole. 

• Love 7
1 hour ago, CringeWatcher said:

I can’t remember which one of our poundtestants I was watching, but I do remember him saying once that he usually only recommends therapy *after* surgery because it’s when they truly can’t eat that their issues come up. <snip>

Holly's episode (it was on earlier this week. I took note of exactly what Dr. Nowzaradan said, because someone asks about it in almost every episode topic): 

"Most of the time a patient isn't even willing to consider a significant factor driving them to eat is emotional, until after we remove the physical drive to eat with surgery."

• Useful 2
  • Love 1

After the 9-lb loss/chrishshun is a bastard meltdown, she angrily said, “Now I have to do this for another month!” No, lady, you have to do it F-O-R-E-V-E-R. Another idiot who thinks if she can just make it to WLS, Dr Now will wave a magic wand and she’ll wake up skinny and never have to watch what she eats. 

• Love 19

So I rewatched a few scenes, and the only references I heard to homelessness were when Mom is on the phone saying, "Wouldn't you help a homeless person?" and Chrisshun says "No. Nobody helped me when I was on the streets. You have to help yourself". I had to have closed captioning on because otherwise he's drowned out by Mom and Maja.

• Useful 1
  • Love 13

Honestly, what would the answer be if an airline employee fielded a question via phone call asking, "How far is it from God Knows Which Gate I May arrive at" in Houston Airport to the baggage claim?  Does anyone tabulate that?  Is the information available on Google Maps, perhaps? I'd love to know who she decided to call and what their answer was.

• LOL 7
  • Love 6
17 minutes ago, Tabbygirl521 said:

After the 9-lb loss/chrishshun is a bastard meltdown, she angrily said, “Now I have to do this for another month!” No, lady, you have to do it F-O-R-E-V-E-R. Another idiot who thinks if she can just make it to WLS, Dr Now will wave a magic wand and she’ll wake up skinny and never have to watch what she eats. 

Penny on bitchier wheels.  

Penny was absolutely a shit to Edgar, but Maja took it to an even more abusive level with Chris-shun.  The only thing missing from Maja was "where's my yellow brick road?"  At least Dr. Now, by now older and wiser, didn't approve Maja aka HoseBeastFromHell, for surgery yet, anyway.

• LOL 1
  • Love 8

Is the "I've fallen and I might not be able to get up" scene the new shower scene?

Christian was quite the comedian:

Do you think there will be urgent care facilities in Houston? ~Let me google if it is a third world country.

My friend traveled and got bed bugs! ~If we see any, I will call the FBI.

Why didn't you answer Dr. Now? ~I answered stuff last week, I am taking the day off. 

On a serious note, it is quite clear now that the producers have instructed the therapists to tell the clients they have to confront the parent they believe has been abusive to them. It's come up in all the therapy sessions starting with this season. I guess they are hoping to capture it on camera, which they have in some cases. I think this is totally irresponsible and can be extremely stressful and do damage to these people if not explored and prepared for properly.  

• LOL 1
  • Love 19
3 hours ago, Tabbygirl521 said:

I had to laugh at this because I have to force myself not to eat a whole Costco-sized wedge of Cambozola when the opportunity comes up. Your description would totally be me if I ever stopped resisting. 

Cambozola.....yum.  

• Love 3

I just thought of something else. In the beginning, when she was explaining that she needed Chrishun to put on her socks - he did so, but then she immediately wrestled herself into her jeans. So was the sock thing bogus? They do have assistive devices for pulling in socks and shoes - my mom has one after surgery when her mobility was restricted. 

I guess Maja has tight compression socks but I think a “grabber” might still have helped her. I dunno. 

Edited by Tabbygirl521
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, fonfereksglen said:

A caregiver is needed post surgery.  She was not remotely eligible for a home healthcare assistant, since she was not disabled.  

What type of insurance are you speaking of? Medicaid coverage can't be used outside one's state of residence; she's not Medicare eligible (but Medicare only covers HHA in conjunction with skilled nursing care anyway). So that leaves her with either private insurance or a policy from the PPACA exchange, and that coverage would depend upon the policy.

Dr. Nowzaradan has provided HHA services to other patients who have been far less deserving (in terms of not losing ANY weight on their own; see Steven Assanti). So why not do the same for someone in Maya's position who would only need the services for a few days post-op?

1 hour ago, KateHearts said:

Honestly, what would the answer be if an airline employee fielded a question via phone call asking, "How far is it from God Knows Which Gate I May arrive at" in Houston Airport to the baggage claim?  Does anyone tabulate that?  Is the information available on Google Maps, perhaps? I'd love to know who she decided to call and what their answer was.

I worked for a major commercial airline for 22 years as a Reservation Sales Training Instructor, and the reservations agents do not have that information. Nobody does. Even if they did, it wouldn't do any good because last minute gate changes happen all the time. For example, a Chicago - Portland flight arrives late because of snow in Chicago, and is still sitting at the gate when a Miami - Portland flight arrives. Either the Miami - Portland flight sits on the tarmac waiting for the Chicago flight to vacate the gate, OR the ground controllers send the Miami flight to an open gate (which could be quite a distance away). 

Guess what they're gonna do? Keeping 180 passengers sitting on the tarmac so Maya doesn't have to walk a yard more than she thought will not figure into the decision 😉

Something most people don't know is airlines lease their space at every airport, including the gates each airline uses. Airlines are fined (by the airport) for every minute they leave the gate past the flight's scheduled departure time. A flight sitting on the ground waiting for its assigned gate, instead of being reassigned to an open gate, would also incur a fine, because that flight would then depart late, too...

ETA: from @TVbitch (I totally forgot to quote your post!)

"My friend traveled and got bed bugs! ~If we see any, I will call the FBI"

OMG, that cracked me up while I was watching! I thought "Woman, you're a walking heart attack waiting to happen, and you're worried about BEDBUGS?"

Geesh!

Edited by TwirlyGirly
  • Useful 4
  • LOL 2
  • Love 8

I am catching up with the live chat... 

He loves her for the person she is on the inside!

That was HER words, not his!  I wonder what gave her that idea.  Surely she imagines herself to be sweet and delicate and everything nice!  If only nasty, cruel world appreciated her properly, she wouldn't have to bitch to get what she deserves!

17 minutes ago, Tabbygirl521 said:

I guess Maja has tight compression socks but I think a “grabber” might still have helped her. I dunno. 

Most compression socks require quite a bit of effort to put on.  Don't know if something that is used to put on regular socks would work, but I personally doubt it would.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

I really disliked this episode. I could barely watch it. Maybe because I'm sick or something, but Maja definitely pissed me off. No thank you. Now, I'm going to take my medicine and go rest. I love this board and you people. See you next week!

• Love 6

I wonder how long she stayed in Houston.

Edit:  I searched "what happened to Maja" and it came up with a story on her.  She apparently is losing weight and is living in Conroe, Tx.  Even has make up on and looks nice.

Edited by parrotfeathers
  • Love 6
10 hours ago, Kyanight said:

Good question.  Uber eats I guess.   No clue who would change the poo pad on the bed and hose her down.

Just started watching this show and missed the 1st half of this ep.  I need to watch this from the beginning.  I don't know how caregivers do it in these instances.  The poo pad remark made me realize I never thought about their lives in enough depth to think about THAT part.  This one was certainly a handful.  With her attitude and lack of gratefulness she will be bed bound before you know it.  I really think they wasted this opportunity on her.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, TwirlyGirly said:

What type of insurance are you speaking of? Medicaid coverage can't be used outside one's state of residence; she's not Medicare eligible (but Medicare only covers HHA in conjunction with skilled nursing care anyway). So that leaves her with either private insurance or a policy from the PPACA exchange, and that coverage would depend upon the policy.

Dr. Nowzaradan has provided HHA services to other patients who have been far less deserving (in terms of not losing ANY weight on their own; see Steven Assanti). So why not do the same for someone in Maya's position who would only need the services for a few days post-op?

I worked for a major commercial airline for 22 years as a Reservation Sales Training Instructor, and the reservations agents do not have that information. Nobody does. Even if they did, it wouldn't do any good because last minute gate changes happen all the time. For example, a Chicago - Portland flight arrives late because of snow in Chicago, and is still sitting at the gate when a Miami - Portland flight arrives. Either the Miami - Portland flight sits on the tarmac waiting for the Chicago flight to vacate the gate, OR the ground controllers send the Miami flight to an open gate (which could be quite a distance away). 

Guess what they're gonna do? Keeping 180 passengers sitting on the tarmac so Maya doesn't have to walk a yard more than she thought will not figure into the decision 😉

Something most people don't know is airlines lease their space at every airport, including the gates each airline uses. Airlines are fined (by the airport) for every minute they leave the gate past the flight's scheduled departure time. A flight sitting on the ground waiting for its assigned gate, instead of being reassigned to an open gate, would also incur a fine, because that flight would then depart late, too...

ETA: from @TVbitch (I totally forgot to quote your post!)

"My friend traveled and got bed bugs! ~If we see any, I will call the FBI"

OMG, that cracked me up while I was watching! I thought "Woman, you're a walking heart attack waiting to happen, and you're worried about BEDBUGS?"

Geesh!

Not sure what you are saying regarding the availability of home health care post surgery . Good luck with that.  

S. Azzhat was a completely different situation.  His daddy was paying once S. Azzhat was kicked out of the nursing home.  My guess is TLC financed a lot of that nonsense for ratings.

As unexpectent  caregivers to my suddenly and permanently disabled brother, we have experienced the horror show of getting benefits of any kind for him, to the point that four years ago, my 70 plus year old husband was dealing, in our home, with medical issues far beyond anything he was trained for.  Think irrigating a bladder and other catheter stuff.  As well as needles, and repairing a prosthetic arm.  I could go on.  Fortunately,  we all did pretty well, despite the limitations imposed by insurance.  

Maja is not disabled. She can walk.  She can work.  She is a just useless bitch from hell.

Forgive me if I have missed your point.  The endless comments from others about what should be provided to these patients of Dr. Now just because.... bothers me.  Obesity does not make them a special class of patients.

• Useful 1
  • Love 13
13 hours ago, Twopper said:

I know they can't show all the therapy sessions, but I really thought it was pretty early in therapy for Lola to suggest she contact her dad;   I thought this was  the point where it is suggested the patient write a letter, but not mail it,  to the person that has hurt them. 

I was quite concerned that Lola suggested that at this point.  I don't think she knows near enough about the situation to recommend that, although lately that seems to be her go-to.

13 hours ago, Hana Chan said:

I did see things a bit from his perspective - this is a young man who did well enough to afford an apartment and was financially supporting the two of them and what was he getting?

Do we know that he was supporting her?

• Love 4
2 hours ago, parrotfeathers said:

Edit:  I searched "what happened to Maja" and it came up with a story on her.  She apparently is losing weight and is living in Conroe, Tx.  Even has make up on and looks nice.

Yeah, must be the same diet that past big poundicipent /failure Penny's been insisting she's  been losing weight on for years now.  

If Maja is truly losing weight, it must be because she's trying to get her loving "spouse"  Chris-shen back.  LOL.  She did dress pretty well though...jeans even!!

• LOL 4
  • Love 2
34 minutes ago, LuvMyShows said:

I was quite concerned that Lola suggested that at this point.  I don't think she knows near enough about the situation to recommend that, although lately that seems to be her go-to.

Do we know that he was supporting her?

I would only assume that because she complained that Christian was leaving two weeks before the rent was due.  I imagine that could mean she was counting on him either paying the rent, or at least a substantial share.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, fonfereksglen said:

Maja is not disabled. She can walk.  She can work.  She is a just useless bitch from hell.

Obesity does not make them a special class of patients.

7 hours ago, fonfereksglen said:

A caregiver is needed post surgery.  She was not remotely eligible for a home healthcare assistant, since she was not disabled.  

Not trying to open a can of worms, but I thought that extreme obesity is a disability, and that that's how some of the poundticipants afforded to live?  So wouldn't that also qualify her for a home healthcare assistant for recovery (separate from whatever Dr. Now and/or the show provide)?

8 hours ago, Snarkastikate said:

Think about it.....if this is how she acted in front of the camera crew, can you only imagine how she acts when NOT in front of the camera?   

Good point...and scary too!

7 hours ago, CringeWatcher said:

She seems to have a bit of trouble with the truth, from screaming at Christian that the results of her weigh-in were HIS fault, to telling Lola and the other volunteers that her “spouse” left her

I shouldn't have been surprised, but I was, that at what was supposed to be a light-hearted event for kids, she's being Debbie Downer and spilling some sob-story personal tea to people she doesn't even know.  The best part was how that volunteer did not give two f*cks about it.

• LOL 1
  • Love 9
28 minutes ago, LuvMyShows said:

Not trying to open a can of worms, but I thought that extreme obesity is a disability, and that that's how some of the poundticipants afforded to live?  So wouldn't that also qualify her for a home healthcare assistant for recovery (separate from whatever Dr. Now and/or the show provide)?

You made me curious so I looked this up to see what I could find.   Nothing is very clear-cut and it's very confusing.  At best - extreme obesity ITSELF is not a disability - but some of the severe health issues that are caused by this extreme obesity WOULD be.  

"Someone with a body mass index ("BMI") of 30 and over is considered obese, and an individual with a BMI of 40 or more is considered morbidly obese. SSA used to allow individuals to qualify for Social Security Disability benefits purely on the basis of morbid obesity."

• Useful 3
  • Love 1

Re: rental cars, at least half the time I have reserved a car, the type I reserved  has not been available.  Usually it means an upgrade, since I generally reserve a small or midsize car, but there’s been times when the agent will assume a pickup truck will be just fine and I need to ask for something with, you know, a back seat.  

Once, at LAX, I rented a minivan for a cross country drive.  I literally had to wait hours until someone returned one.  

I totally believe that the rental car companies are not bothering to hold the reservation.   I don’t think it’s producers.  

I also have a couple of very fat friends who claim the roller-skate like Honda Fit is extremely fat friendly (ironically), so I think it’s possible Maja could fit into her Kia but not a sedan.   That said, she didn’t put the seat back, so I don’t think she was trying to fit.  I think she was trying to have an issue to berate the company over the lack of SUV (but, *really*, why can’t they have the car I — uh, she — reserved??)

I think she told Christian she “had to go down”, so it was a slow, purposeful fall, since she knew she couldn’t pull herself up, and likely knew he couldn’t lift her.  Totally not the raw panic of Lupe getting stuck on the toilet because it was a decision not an accident.   

• Love 10
On 2/20/2019 at 10:56 PM, LaLaLaLa said:

With this show, sometimes I root for success, other times I root for failure. Never have I rooted for failure more than this woman. She acts like a spoiled 5-year-old and refuses to be accountable for ANYTHING in her life. Everything that doesn't go her way is someone else's fault. Grow up already. And the therapist that refuses to discuss her lack of accountability...what a waste. 

Me too!! The most ridiculous display was in Dr. Now’s office. With the temper tantrum of a 4 year old “Christian you ruined everything, this is ALL your fault.” Then she calls her Mother that she didn’t have time to say goodbye to because they didn’t agree to at that time! “Mommmmmyyyy, Christian’s ruining everything!” She’s repulsive! 

• Love 8
14 hours ago, mmecorday said:

How dumb did she think Christian was? She drives around getting fast food under the guise of "running errands," and she expected him to believe that? "Gee, Maja eats like a bird at home. I wonder why she's so large?"

She really needs to do something about her hair. Either cut it or put it up or something.

She literally sounded like a baby when she was making a scene at the car rental counter. She has the emotional maturity of a preschooler.

Why was she wearing compression stockings to bed? And wear did she find them in her size?

Even more shocking is that she found jeans that are made to fit a 690 lb woman!

• LOL 6
  • Love 3
9 hours ago, parrotfeathers said:

I also checked up on her. The photos are head & shoulders taken from above, and, I suspect, with a heavy use of filters. That's usually the type of photos people take to disguise what's going on down below the neckline.

I know a woman whose FB photos suggest she has a heart-shaped, wrinkle-free visage. In fact her face is the shape and condition of a satellite dish that's been weathering the seasons for way too long. But, filters ...

Edited by essexjan
  • LOL 15
  • Love 3
10 hours ago, parrotfeathers said:

Technically, she could call 2 pounds lost once a weight loss!  And she did make-up and nice clothing even at the beginning of her episode.  I'd bet that she is not actually doing anything, but she is trying to present a better picture of herself to the world to snag her next victim/caretaker. 

Edited by Hellga
  • LOL 4
  • Love 5
14 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

What is it with car rental place?  I wonder if the workers get a kick out of watching the fat customers go out to the regular size cars and try to SQUEEZE into them!!!

I doubt that as a car could be damaged if the steering wheel broke of the column, which I think it easily could have with Maja.

To the poster upthread who suggested Maja deliver for Meals on Wheels:  Would you trust Maja to deliver food?  Good gosh she would eat it all!!!

5 hours ago, Kaia40 said:

The most ridiculous display was in Dr. Now’s office. With the temper tantrum of a 4 year old “Christian you ruined everything, this is ALL your fault.” Then she calls her Mother that she didn’t have time to say goodbye to because they didn’t agree to at that time! “Mommmmmyyyy, Christian’s ruining everything!” She’s repulsive! 

The only redeeming things to come out of that phone call was her mom telling her to stop talking or something like that.  She has her number.

Had I been Chris-Shun, I would have just ubered to the Greyhound station and let her know I was gone and no, I am not giving you my bus # or geographic location.  Would not put it past her to find the damn bus!!!

8 hours ago, Snarkastikate said:

because she's trying to get her loving "spouse" 

Okay this is my final time to mention this, but as someone who has been married, divorced, and re-married it really chaps me when people refer to their boyfriend as a husband or spouse, especially as a way to garner sympathy.  Ever been divorced?  Ever broken up with a boyfriend?  BIG DIFFERENCE there Maja.

• Love 21

Again, people were wondering why Christian did not drive.  Maybe he chose not to drive?  Can you imagine what an awful backseat driver she would be?  

(ever-rising pitch)  Chris-shun, why didn't you turn here?  I told you we had to turn here.  No, don't go there, you have to go around and turn where I told you.  I am hungry, Chris-shun.  I need a bathroom, Chris-shun.  Why did you pass that drive-through on the right, Chris-shun?  Didn't you see that drive-through on the right, Chris-shun?  Don't you know I am hungry, Chris-shun?  Are you trying to kill me, Chris-shun?

• LOL 17
  • Love 5
22 hours ago, Twopper said:

So Maya has this tiny green car, and she can't get into a car of the same size or larger car provided by the rental company?

Why doesn't "boyfriend" offer to help drive? 

I'm really short, and used to be really fat.  Different cars work for different sizes of people.  In some vehicles, I could reach the foot pedals, but when I had the seat far enough forward, my stomach kept the steering wheel from turning.  Other cars were fine.  The outside of the car didn't have much to do with it.  She had the advantage of being very tall, so she would have the seat pushed all the way back, allowing for more stomach room.

I suspect Christian didn't drive because maybe he didn't have his own car, and he was excluded on her car insurance policy (maybe to keep the rate down).  That would also explain why he didn't drive the rental car; if she was paying for the car (and we NEVER saw him pull out his wallet), she didn't want to pay extra for insurance for him (if he even had a driver's license).

There have been several occasions on this show where the expected rental car was not available, or the wheelchair-friendly taxi didn't show up.  That HAS to be producer-driven.  We've traveled quite a bit, and rented many cars.  If you show up to get your car and they don't have one in that size available, every car rental agency we've ever used has then given us a car in the next HIGHER class for the same price.  We've never been stuck in a small car when we've reserved a larger one.  And I think that it may be illegal (American with Disabilities Act) to send a non-wheelchair-compliant taxi when it has been specifically requested.

My favorite interaction was when Dr. Now asked, "What is your eating habit?" and she responded, "I eat two or three large meals a day."  We saw her have two HUGE drive-through breakfasts, and her voice-over said she sometimes goes to more places than that.  No way she's ONLY have breakfast every day.

• Love 12
12 hours ago, TwirlyGirly said:

^^This is about Maja's claim that someone "lied" to her on the phone about how far she would have to walk at Houston Intercontinental Airport (IAH). I wish I could "like" this post more than once. Because yes that's how things work at airports. Flights can have gate changes in a twinkling for many reasons.

During the live chat, I called shenanigans on her little hissy fit about walking at IAH. Hope it's okay expand on that here.

First, I'm not sure who Maja claimed to have talked to when she asked about airport walking distances. Unless it was an extremely well-informed *airport* customer service rep, no way that person would have known the physical dimensions of the terminal/concourses and distances between those and baggage claim. As @TwirlyGirly said, airline reservation agents don't have that information. I worked for years at a major airport and then after I retired I volunteered for a few years as a "hospitality ambassador" out in the terminals answering questions and giving assistance to the traveling public. I know a TON about that airport - and no way could I tell anyone the actual distance they would have to walk from their gate when arriving on Flight XXX.

Because, see above. Even if anyone has a list of the walking distances from each gate to baggage claim, there's no way to know in advance for sure what gate the flight will be using when it lands. BTW, what I *could* tell anyone asking that question would be, contact your airline and be very specific about your need for assistance between the gate and baggage claim.

Airlines are required by law to provide accommodations for passengers with disabilities including mobility impairments. I have several friends who although not wheelchair users in daily life, have enough mobility issues that they just can't walk the long distances presented by most airports these days. So they request, and their airlines provide, wheelchair service at departure and arrival airports.

And here's where I really saw the shenanigans on this episode: there was a frigging GOLF CART in the background, carrying passengers down the concourse, in the scene where Maja was whining about hurting in IAH and having to sit down. Those carts are ubiquitous at major airports. Maja could have arranged for assistance to get her from the gate to baggage claim. Even if she was too large for their wheelchairs (we don't know if she was), they could have put her in a golf cart. She didn't arrange anything, though. We got the made for TV drah-mah instead. 

Edited by Jeeves
clarity
  • Love 20
14 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

To me, when you give your word that you're going to do something and another relies on that promise, you shouldn't pull out, unless they are able to get a replacement.  That's my take on it.  She may have had a legal claim against him for doing that, too. lol  Don't be mad, but, in way, it was a breach of contract.  (I drift too much. lol)

But did we ever see Christian actually say that he would stay with her the full time in Houston?  I thought the most we got was an "uh-huh" dragged out of him by Maja (which I keep wanting to spell Maga for some reason).  I thought it was clear after the first visit that he was not in it for the long haul, that he honestly did not believe she would be able to lose that much weight in two months--he was surprised by the scale's reading, probably because when you're over 600 lbs a loss of 93 pounds isn't going to really make much of a difference in how you look.  I agree that he was a jerk for not saying outright that he was not going to stay in Houston with her, but surely it can't have been a surprise to her that he was leaving.

And what was he doing all day, both in Portland and in Houston?  Blowing up balloons for some charity?  Why did his mother have to buy him a bus ticket?  Why didn't he drive?  And if she never ate in front of him, what was she doing when he was eating?  And did he ever question all those "errands" she had to run when she was hitting all those drive-throughs?  Was he also a Serb?  Why wasn't he fat?  What's wrong with him that he ended up with such an unpleasant person--he wasn't bad-looking, but maybe it was because his mother had to buy his bus ticket.  So many unanswered questions in what was, or could have been, a fascinating episode.

Edited to add:  Also, every single episode shows a poundticipant risking serious injury getting into and out of a bathtub.  Why in hell don't these folks have grab bars?  They aren't real expensive, and they aren't difficult to install, and they save lives.  My BMI is under 30, but I'm 71 years old, and I rely on grab bars in the shower and the tub, just to feel secure.  They make a huge difference.

Edited by Mothra
  • Love 16
12 minutes ago, Mothra said:

And what was he doing all day, both in Portland and in Houston?  Blowing up balloons for some charity?  Why did his mother have to buy him a bus ticket?  Why didn't he drive?  And if she never ate in front of him, what was she doing when he was eating?  And did he ever question all those "errands" she had to run when she was hitting all those drive-throughs?  Was he also a Serb?  Why wasn't he fat?  What's wrong with him that he ended up with such an unpleasant person--he wasn't bad-looking, but maybe it was because his mother had to buy his bus ticket.  So many unanswered questions in what was, or could have been, a fascinating episode.

AL very valid questions, lol.  My thought on the bus ticket:  He was very lean on funds and his mom just said, "Look I will buy your ticket, use what you have left for food.....just get the hell outta there!"

• Love 9