Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E08: Maja's Story

• Start Topic

Maja moves to Houston to undertake a difficult weight loss journey with the support of her boyfriend, Christian. But when Christina decides he's had enough and leaves Maja high and dry, she will discover that the only person she can count on is herself.

Sounds like an early drama, happy ending episode.  Will Maja learn to count on herself?  Will she count more than just how much food she can eat in one sitting?  Will she be better off without Christian?  Will Christian give us horror flashbacks memories of Garreth? Will Dr. Now be sporting his most blinged out stethoscope?  Let's see what we get on this week's continuing saga of poundticipants in peril!  

This is the regular episode thread.  It will open after the US East Coast showing. 

• Love 1
41 minutes ago, Trillium said:

9/10 certain Christian had a side piece back in Oregon. Not that I can really blame him, she was straight up awful. 

I hope so,Christian wasn't getting anything from her,she said so .. He went beyond the call of duty let her now play the victim again,she is well rehearsed doing so.

• Love 10
7 hours ago, LookABird said:

She is exhausting.  I would have to invest in earplugs.

Didn’t you just LOVE the way she kept repeating his name when he was not cooperating:  “Christian, Christian, Christian, Christian, Christian, Christian. “

That is exactly what a child would do.  I wanted to slap her like Cher did with Nicholas Cage in Moonstruck!!!

Edited by Kid
  • LOL 3
  • Love 20
8 minutes ago, JunkFoodTV said:

I really wish Chris shun had fired back with "my name is CHRISTIAN!!!!! Get it right you whiney ass bitch!!!!" But she probably would have physically attacked him.

Seriously. That woman was scary in some of those scenes.

• Love 13

Can someone bring me up to date on the last half hour or so of his show?   I usually can't get home on Wed in time to watch the show so I dvr it.  Anyway, I did see she quit the program, but  I wasn't sure why except that she was unwilling to take any responsibility for anything in her life.   There is about a 10 minute spot where the dish faded in and out, and I cannot make sense of what happened.

So Maya has this tiny green car, and she can't get into a car of the same size or larger car provided by the rental company?

Why doesn't "boyfriend" offer to help drive?  Did he have a job back in Oregon?  I disliked her, but I also disliked him.  So he suggests she get on the show, then he doesn't plan to go to support her.   Did he think she would take someone else, and he would be rid of her that way? 

I know they can't show all the therapy sessions, but I really thought it was pretty early in therapy for Lola to suggest she contact her dad;   I thought this was  the point where it is suggested the patient write a letter, but not mail it,  to the person that has hurt them. 

• Love 8
11 hours ago, LaLaLaLa said:

With this show, sometimes I root for success, other times I root for failure. Never have I rooted for failure more than this woman. She acts like a spoiled 5-year-old and refuses to be accountable for ANYTHING in her life. Everything that doesn't go her way is someone else's fault. Grow up already. And the therapist that refuses to discuss her lack of accountability...what a waste. 

I’m thinking that when someone is SO invested in blaming others, a therapist probably has to guide them gently to the realization that they need to own their situation. Otherwise the person just digs in harder. Mana seemed to have no interest in viewing her life in any way other than as a victim. It would take lots of therapy to crack through that, if it’s even possible. 

• Love 7

Again the Jerry Seinfeld bit about the rental car comes to mind: you know how to make the reservation, you just can't keep the reservation! But I kept wondering why not get into the passenger side? I guess he doesn't drive. I find it a bit weird when a grown man doesn't drive. My cousin doesn't but he has lived in Manhattan his whole life. When she started making that scene in the rental place though and the crying OMG! I have done that before myself, started crying when something like that overwhelmed me but looks like she has a habit of it, and Christian saw that coming and said "I got to go to the restroom". She kept blaming the airlines for "doing this to me"!!! That was too much! Everyone did this to me! the fact she ate  herself to 700 pounds and can't walk at the airport has nothing to do with it, they all lied to her about how far it was etc. It is all their fault! waaaah waaaaaah!!!

And then calling the mother and start bawling? Who acts like this? Epic episode, Ill need to watch it again

Edited by calpurnia99
  • LOL 1
  • Love 23

It was a surprise to us and Dr Now when she gained weight, but Christian must have watched her go way off the diet, consuming 6,000 calories a day for weeks on end. Off camera he likely tried to steer her back and she raged at him. He had to leave, if only to change her dynamic. I’m not sure if Maja will end up as Penny, perpetually disabled, or as Sean, dead young. Maja’s is a tragedy.

• Useful 1
  • Love 8
43 minutes ago, AVM said:

Thank God she is not bed ridden,her care giver would  end up killing her ... 

Justifiable homicide!

I missed the first part due to church.  I love the read the comments first and then watch.  I notice the things ya'll post about.

I forgot---During the first half hour she was talking about how food tasted so good in her mouth.  Fast food is not "food."  It is cr*p.  Has she ever had really GOOD food in a REAL restaurant?  How do you "savor" a fast food burrito?

Edited by parrotfeathers
  • LOL 1
  • Love 8
21 minutes ago, Jeeves said:

ETA: I came in a little late. Does anyone know why Maja's mom was working two jobs? Was mom helping support Maja? I thought Mom was irritating AF in the "goodbye" scene but so was Maja. Mom had a few good points: she had to get to her job, and she'd rather say goodbye quickly and not break down. Maja was just "I can't deal with this, I'm busy packing." Busy, my *ss. What a beast.

Maja in one breath said her Mom was helping her financially so she could afford to move to Texas, then the next breath crying because her Mom was leaving to you know, go to that extra job that was paying for her to move to Texas.

There have been a lot of things that have shocked me on this show over the years, but her screaming at Christian that it was all his fault in the doctors office and calling her Mom to tell on him was for sure in the top ten.

I don't think he was perfect by any stretch of the imagination, but I also think that he might be on the spectrum a bit.  His mannerisms and the way he shut down reminded me of someone that might have Aspergers.

I've personally known people just like Maja.  They are sweet and kind until they get you wrapped up in their world and then the real person comes out.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 23
40 minutes ago, Pepper Mostly said:

I'm convinced that Christian was trying to escape an abusive relationship. They were obviously miserable. When she started screaming at Christian that it was his fault that she hadn't lost enough weight to be approved I damn near fell off the couch. Imagine the hell their home was. "Christian! I spilled my coffee! Why did you pour it into this cup! You ruin everything!" I'm just amazed he didn't leave sooner. She did nothing but yell at him, accuse him of sabotaging her, and tell him he was worthless.

Wordy McWord to this whole post.  She was Horrid McHorrid.  And Maja, he is not your spouse, he was your boyfriend.  Was being the operative word in that sentence.

• LOL 2
  • Love 14
3 minutes ago, calpurnia99 said:

Christian never saw her eat. She drove so she always drove herself to pick up fast food and eat alone in the car. I think they way she carried her weight, she could still get around but soon she will be 900 pounds and then what?

Good question.  Uber eats I guess.   No clue who would change the poo pad on the bed and hose her down.

• LOL 5
  • Love 4
44 minutes ago, calpurnia99 said:

Again the Jerry Seinfeld bit about the rental car comes to mind: you know how to make the reservation, you just can't keep the reservation! But I kept wondering why not get into the passenger side? I guess he doesn't drive. I find it a bit weird when a grown man doesn't drive. My cousin doesn't but he has lived in Manhattan his whole life. When she started making that scene in the rental place though and the crying OMG! I have done that before myself, started crying when something like that overwhelmed me but looks like she has a habit of it, and Christian saw that coming and said "I got to go to the restroom". She kept blaming the airlines for "doing this to me"!!! That was too much! Everyone did this to me! the fact she ate  herself to 700 pounds and can't walk at the airport has nothing to do with it, they all lied to her about how far it was etc. It is all their fault! waaaah waaaaaah!!!

And then calling the mother and start bawling? Who acts like this? Epic episode, Ill need to watch it again

A+++++++!!! Will watch again!!!

Seriously, when she was whinging about walking across the airport, I side eyed. When she complained that the airport personnel had "lied" to her, I rolled my eyes. When she had a full blown screaming wobbler at the car rental counter (for no reason, they were trying to help her fix the problem, no one was shitty to her or unkind. They tried to help) I rolled my eyes so hard I saw my own brain. Her treatment of Christian was horrific. Her treatment of everyone was horrific! Say one word to Maja and she goes off the deep end. From zero to 60 in 2 seconds. She's so overflowing with rage she spits poison every time she speaks. That business at the doctor's office, calling her mother, sobbing and screaming, will go down in Pounder history. Up there with "Ow mah laig!" and "WHERE'S MY YELLOW BRICK ROAD?", pee pad wontons and porch baths.

Considering her treatment of Christian ("you did this!" "you made me fail!" "you ruin everything!") I am skeptical of her version of events pertaining to her dad.

8 minutes ago, kicotan said:

I actually cringed when he got up to leave the doctors office and she squared up and physically put herself between him and the door.  He retreated, as an abused person would, to as far as he could get from her. That’s some fucked up shit right there.

Agreed. And it was clearly a practiced move on her part. She knew she could hold him there. He was cornered.

• Love 24

So, my takeaways:

Although the commitment to move to Houston and support someone in this endeavor, Christian (or "Krisshin", as Maja says) is a class-A jackwad.  I get that it's weird to live out your struggles on TV but hey, you signed up for it. And the whole "I'm not gonna answer" stuff and staring at the phone is so childish.  Just say, "I'm sick of you nagging and berating me; I don't like Houston and I need to break it off."  But even better, how about really considering it all and making the decision BEFORE you spend three days traveling somewhere you know you won't like with someone you're fighting with all the time.

Maja, like many of these people, has learned to blame EVERYONE for her issues, and blaming her "stress" on her gorging on seven fast-food meals at a time.  For example, her mother's goodbye when they were headed to Houston. Maja made it into a giant conflict ("I didn't want to do it THIS WAY!  I can't concentrate on more than one thing at a time and I'm PUTTING THE ROOF RACK ON NOW, MOMMMM!").  And the doctor's office scene with Christian: "It's ALL YOUR FAULT!  YOU CAUSED THIS!!!"  I think I would ditch her at some point too.  And the airport/car rental!  "I'm SO MAD that THEY screwed up so many things! I asked how far the walk was in the airport! I asked for an SUV!!!" Obviously she hasn't traveled much.  I have very few trips without snafus.  And ya know what? I don't have tantrums and sob at the counter.

Again with the "I am so stressed I can't eat the right way."  I realize to get to 600 lbs one must use food as a totally inappropriate substitute for a lot of things in life, but c'mon.  That's your JOB right now.  Maja said, "I gave up everything to come here and have a chance to save my life!"  - everything includes your mother with whom you have major issues, an apartment, and grandma.  No job. No children. No hobbies- except driving around to drive-thrus.

Kudos to her for volunteering. I'm not sure that her weight will ever get under control.  But she did get rid of a couple of hundred pounds of non-supportive boyfriend.  

Edited by KateHearts
  • Love 7
12 hours ago, Trillium said:

9/10 certain Christian had a side piece back in Oregon. Not that I can really blame him, she was straight up awful. 

I think he just wanted peace, side or otherwise. The way she screamed at him for her failure was absurd.

• Love 24
1 hour ago, Hana Chan said:

It's kind of hard to judge some of the people around Dr. Now's patients.  Some are obvious enablers, some are clearly emotionally abusive. But guys like Christian? He was coming across like an emotional blank to me. My personal impression was that he might have really cared for Maja when they got together but after a few years of being her caretaker more than her partner, he was done. I did see things a bit from his perspective - this is a young man who did well enough to afford an apartment and was financially supporting the two of them and what was he getting? Being called in to put her socks on in the morning? Having to listen to her cry and complain over every little thing?

Then he's being asked to drop his life and move to Texas for a year, deal with Maja's endless list of complaints and have her berate him when she fails to follow Dr. Now's plan and gains weight. Hell, he wasn't even getting sex out of the deal so I don't blame him for looking for the exit door. I think that he did sincerely want to help Maja, but after so long of dealing with her behavior it's more than understandable to me why he was throwing in the towel. The fact that their relationship wasn't a healthy one wasn't totally his fault by any stretch of the imagination.

I agree with you. I think Christian wanted Maja to lose weight and get better but he was DONE dealing with her antics and wanted out of the relationship. Once she hit her first weight loss goals he figured he could end things and she would be fine. Asking him to uproot his life for a year is a LOT and he didn’t want to. 

• Love 12
15 minutes ago, Suzywriter said:

I think he just wanted peace, side or otherwise. The way she screamed at him for her failure was absurd.

I agree with another poster, Maja strikes me as someone you like until you really get to know her. She yelled at him for everything. I don't blame him for pretty much saying enough is enough. 

• Love 12
48 minutes ago, kicotan said:

I actually cringed when he got up to leave the doctors office and she squared up and physically put herself between him and the door.  He retreated, as an abused person would, to as far as he could get from her. That’s some fucked up shit right there.

She had him backed up against the cabinets on the other side of the room, too.  

• Love 11

“I want to focus on myself right now...” How’s that different from before that point, exactly?

Doctor Now had her pegged. The secret eating. The avoidance of blame for where she was at with not losing weight and the failure of her relationship. 

Mom had a stroke but she’s still working two jobs. And she gets yelled at for not following Maja’s “goodbye schedule.”

Well done escaping, Chris-shun. From the first time he was ordered to a sit-down on the couch and sat as far away as physically possible, it wasn’t tough to tell how that relationship would go. 

• Love 21

Oh my gosh--watching the first hour during lunch--cannot believe this woman.

He brought her purse and she was awful about it.  Sat on airplane 4 hours--oh I have to get up I can't sit this long.  Walked 10 feet off plane--oh I have to sit down and rest.

What is with this woman?   Looking forward to the rest of it.

• Love 6

So, I hit "record" at the halfway point and my DVR did not record, so I'm not sure if I should be disappointed or delighted that I missed the last hour of the show. I was already hating her by the airport scene, so I'm sure my disgust would only have gotten worse. She called and asked how far she would have to walk? I can assure you that whoever she spoke to had not had that idiotic question before and therefore could not give the correct answer. How is a total stranger supposed to know how lazy and whiny and overweight Maja is by a phone conversation. I work in claims and sometimes patients call and start asking me their question, like we are psychic and/or only have them as a claimant.

Also confused by the fact that she drives a Kia Soul and then could not fit into a sedan. Why was she driving? Is that producer shenanagins? "We MUST have the 'I can't fit into a car'" scene?

• LOL 3
  • Love 5

I totally agree with the father's pulling away from Maja.    If she was just as mean, and self-centered then as she is now, he was protecting his new wife, and kids from Maja.      I know it's rotten to cut off your own daughter, I think he did it to protect his wife and kids, and I can't fault him for that.   I wonder what the father and second wife would say about the way Maja behaved at their house?  I bet it would be scary. 

Christian might not have seen the last of Maja, because Texas still has common-law marriage, and the requirements aren't that stringent to be legally tied together, and need a divorce.   Christian's big mistake was to ever agree to go to Houston at all, he should have walked away then.     I can't imagine living with the screaming, and rage every day, and to be blamed for everything that went wrong in Maja's life.        Christian should have asked for the bus ticket from his Mom, said nothing to Maja, and then left when she was out.      The way she treated him was disgusting, and abusive.     I wouldn't be surprised to hear about much worse treatment of Christian by Maja behind closed doors either.  

Her mother had a stroke, and is still working two jobs, and Maja is mad about her mother going to work?   

I call bull on the car rental scene.   I have a Kia Soul, and if you can fit in that, then any of the other cars she looked at would work for her too.      With all of the 'crying' jags, did anyone see a single tear?     I didn't.     The entire two hours was worth it to see Christian grow a backbone, and leave her.     And the call to mommy from the doctor's office was hysterical.     I can just imagine the panic in Mom's house when they realized that someone would have to move to Houston to take care of Miss Whiny Britches.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 17