Type keyword(s) to search

The Marvel Cinematic Universe: The Avengers, etc.

vb68
  • Start Topic

2 hours ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

It's just not believable to me.

That's fair.  

I was looking to see if there was any chatter on when the Captain Marvel trailer was going to be released and apparently Feige said in "a few months" a few months ago.  I hope it's soon, I've seen enough stills already, I am dying to see Brie in action!  

• Love 1
32 minutes ago, Wynterwolf said:

That's fair.  

I was looking to see if there was any chatter on when the Captain Marvel trailer was going to be released and apparently Feige said in "a few months" a few months ago.  I hope it's soon, I've seen enough stills already, I am dying to see Brie in action!  

Would the November movie push be too late for a teaser/trailer?

5 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Would the November movie push be too late for a teaser/trailer?

I was reading that the Black Panther trailer came out in June, with a mid Feb release date, so we're already past the timing they used there.  I'd think they'd want the first teaser to come out at least some time this month, and then a full trailer to come out in time for the winter holiday movies.  

1 minute ago, Wynterwolf said:

I was reading that the Black Panther trailer came out in June, with a mid Feb release date, so we're already past the timing they used there.  I'd think they'd want the first teaser to come out at least some time this month, and then a full trailer to come out in time for the winter holiday movies.  

I was trying to remember when Black Panther came out and I thought it was 6 months before the release date. Looks like it was more that 6 months so, they're really far behind on Captain Marvel.  Hopefully it comes out soon. 

• Love 2
On 9/5/2018 at 11:17 AM, Spartan Girl said:

It's cool and all...but dammit I wanted a trailer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I assumed that internet breaking would involve more than one or a handful of pictures and would be more like hundreds of images shown rapidly and in sequence over a period of a minute or two. Maybe there would be some stirring music accompanying the images.

Edited by HunterHunted
  • Love 8

Mark Ruffalo said that reshoots are occurring this month will be used to "finish" the second movie. If Bautista is serious about doing any more Marvel/Disney movies, it is the perfect opportunity to give Drax an end point.

‘Avengers 4’ In Reshoots Aimed At “Finishing” The Film, Says Cast Member: https://deadline.com/2018/09/avengers-4-in-reshoots-aimed-at-finishing-the-film-according-to-cast-member-1202460373/

Edited by SimoneS
1 hour ago, SimoneS said:

Mark Ruffalo said that reshoots are occurring this month will be used to "finish" the second movie. If Bautista is serious about doing any more Marvel/Disney movies, it is the perfect opportunity to give Drax an end point.

‘Avengers 4’ In Reshoots Aimed At “Finishing” The Film, Says Cast Member: https://deadline.com/2018/09/avengers-4-in-reshoots-aimed-at-finishing-the-film-according-to-cast-member-1202460373/

I mean with Thanos, dead all the people responsible for killing his family are gone so his quest for vengeance would be over.

On 9/3/2018 at 9:38 AM, SimoneS said:

I am confident that Disney isn't crying about Bautista not wanting to do any more of its films. The Warriors Three were killed off in Raganok without a second thought and we still don't know the fate of Lady Sif. Drax will just join them on the list of the dead/missing.  Bautista is lucky that he has wrestling to fall back on because he just narrowed his potential acting jobs.

The difference there is the Warriors Three were not remotely interesting or memorable characters. Drax is a great character with a lot of funny lines/moments.

• Love 8

I agree that Drax has been a good character with a lot of great moments/lines, but he is also a character who walks a fine line between being funny and frustrating, that deleted scene between he and Quill in Infinity War, for example, and they were really pushing it at times in GotG2 with some of his scenes with Mantis. He doesn't seem to be a character who is set up to really grow beyond that particular niche.

Dave bowing out might not be the worst thing in the world and could open up space for other characters.

• Love 9
9 hours ago, Perfect Xero said:

I agree that Drax has been a good character with a lot of great moments/lines, but he is also a character who walks a fine line between being funny and frustrating, that deleted scene between he and Quill in Infinity War, for example, and they were really pushing it at times in GotG2 with some of his scenes with Mantis. He doesn't seem to be a character who is set up to really grow beyond that particular niche.

Dave bowing out might not be the worst thing in the world and could open up space for other characters.

Except that the collective We know that Mantis isn't ugly and that Drax is a clod who understands neither subtlety nor metaphor. This is a guy who seriously thought he was invisible even after Quill and Gamora spotted him, and while that scene was funny, its funny at least partly because it makes Drax look foolish and everyone knows it.

Really, if they're going to start writing out characters based on how much the script pushes their least attractive qualities, they should begin with Starlord, who gets more annoying on rewatch of Infinity War. Like, I get it, Thor's a pirate angel who literally dropped onto his windshield and everyone immediately takes to him, but they could have dialed it back about forty decibels with him prattling about lifting weights and trying to imitate Thor's way of speaking. When Rocket manages to handle Thor's obvious anguish with uncomfortable sympathy, it makes Starlord look even more ridiculous in comparison. If a raccoon can be more mature than you are, there's a problem.

• Love 11
On September 13, 2018 at 9:45 AM, Cobalt Stargazer said:

Except that the collective We know that Mantis isn't ugly and that Drax is a clod who understands neither subtlety nor metaphor. This is a guy who seriously thought he was invisible even after Quill and Gamora spotted him, and while that scene was funny, its funny at least partly because it makes Drax look foolish and everyone knows it.

Really, if they're going to start writing out characters based on how much the script pushes their least attractive qualities, they should begin with Starlord, who gets more annoying on rewatch of Infinity War. Like, I get it, Thor's a pirate angel who literally dropped onto his windshield and everyone immediately takes to him, but they could have dialed it back about forty decibels with him prattling about lifting weights and trying to imitate Thor's way of speaking. When Rocket manages to handle Thor's obvious anguish with uncomfortable sympathy, it makes Starlord look even more ridiculous in comparison. If a raccoon can be more mature than you are, there's a problem.

And Rocket is having a great story arc about his emotional growth.  I hope that story can continue. 

• Love 1

They should just merge Thor and Guardians.  Most of the Thor roster is dead, and if the Guardians want out, then just redo the team.  Thor and Valkyrie leads the team: Rocket, Groot, Miek, Kong.  Add in another humanoid character or even Banner.  Nebula can stay with them too.  Let Taika direct again, and have this team go up against Adam Warlock.

• Love 13
On 9/15/2018 at 7:08 PM, Wishing Well said:

They should just merge Thor and Guardians.  Most of the Thor roster is dead, and if the Guardians want out, then just redo the team.  Thor and Valkyrie leads the team: Rocket, Groot, Miek, Kong.  Add in another humanoid character or even Banner.  Nebula can stay with them too.  Let Taika direct again, and have this team go up against Adam Warlock.

I have said that same thing about merging Thor with the remaining Guardians. I would add Bruce to Thor's new team as well. I think their chemistry would light the screen on fire.

• Love 2

The actors who play these characters would be set to reprise these characters.

Interesting...

eta:  I would probably pay **coughalotcough** to see a short series of WWII/1940s Steve and Bucky and the Howling Commandos. 

Edited by Wynterwolf
  • Love 10
13 hours ago, Wynterwolf said:

Interesting...

eta:  I would probably pay **coughalotcough** to see a short series of WWII/1940s Steve and Bucky and the Howling Commandos. 

I would love it if Spidey and Daredevil team up. And maybe they run into Jessica who finds them both too annoying for words.

If Disney wants to make this a value added option, they'd actually reward all of the very faithful Netflix and TV watchers. Lots of people watch the movies, but I don't think there's enough evidence that those movie watchers would ever subscribe to a Disney only streaming service. However, people who watch the Netflix shows, Agents of SHIELD, Agent Carter, and Cloak & Dagger, who have proven that they'll watch the movies, subscribe to streaming services and watch their shows weekly on TV, they are diehards. A little love from the corporate overlords might be a nice thing.

I can picture Jessica meeting all of the film MCU and declaring that they all look like idiots, taking a swig from her bottle of booze at 9:37am, and just walking away. Rocket would decide that she's the first Terran he's ever liked.

Edited by HunterHunted
  • Love 8

We will likely never see the top tier Marvel characters on television (Cap, Tony, Natasha, etc.), besides the actors being too expensive I think it would hurt their "movie" appeal, if that makes sense. In fact I'm surprised Marvel is doing this with even the second tier characters. I can imagine a world where people go to see a Loki movie or a Vision and Scarlett Witch movie.

But I think their side ventures are more suited for serialized television. Wanda and Vision trying to make a go at it with a regular life in the suburbs? Loki being the ultimate anti-hero with his own adventures across the nine realms? I'm here for it.

• Love 6
15 minutes ago, JessePinkman said:

I think it would hurt their "movie" appeal, if that makes sense.

I think that would have been the case in the past, but I think that especially with Netflix and Amazon, there isn't that distinction anymore between 'movie' and 'television' and I think with the advent of streaming, the lines between are going to blur even more.  I think it's more about, as you say, cost and also availability and desire.  

• Love 4
1 hour ago, JessePinkman said:

We will likely never see the top tier Marvel characters on television (Cap, Tony, Natasha, etc.), besides the actors being too expensive I think it would hurt their "movie" appeal, if that makes sense. In fact I'm surprised Marvel is doing this with even the second tier characters. I can imagine a world where people go to see a Loki movie or a Vision and Scarlett Witch movie.

But I think their side ventures are more suited for serialized television. Wanda and Vision trying to make a go at it with a regular life in the suburbs? Loki being the ultimate anti-hero with his own adventures across the nine realms? I'm here for it.

It's sort of a shame because the two characters that suffer the most with the embargo are Spidey and Daredevil. Daredevil has a very long history of team ups with Spidey, primarily, and other characters. And to truly get the sense of Spider Man, you need to see the monotonous kind of everyday hero-ing that he gets up to and the Netflix shows have that in spades. Plus, they have Kingpin marooned on Netflix with a film caliber actor.

• Love 1
16 hours ago, Wynterwolf said:

I've recently read those old comic stories and it's funny how they made Hitler like an actual character always going "Damn those Commandos!" shaking his fist after they foiled his plans like Cobra Commander.

sfahhc57f.jpg

image.png

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, JessePinkman said:

I don't see why any would be more expensive than getting Samuel L. Jackson for a guest appearance as has already been done. I am crossing corporations but Chris Pine is showing up on a TV mini-series next year. It might not be as Wonder Woman's boyfriend but the actor still gets so much money

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Apprentice79 said:

Can we get a series about what life is like for the war dogs who are out in the world? How do they balance loyalty to Wakanda and living in the outside world? how do they not all become rogue like N'Jobu. 

With all of the likely changes coming after Avengers 4, Marvel really does need either a show or movie about spies.

• Wakanda is now open to the world and there's no way that the other countries wouldn't be the least bit interested.
  • The Sokovia Accords seem to be a thing that everyone, except Rhodey, Ross, Clint, and Scott, is actively ignoring (Cap, Widow, Falcon, Bucky, T'Challa, Vision, Wanda, Spider Man, Tony, Hank and Hope, the Agents of SHIELD, the Defenders, Cloak & Dagger, and literally every wizard on the planet). Hulk and Thor don't know about it, but neither of them is going to sign.
  • The remaining Asgardians are going to show up on Earth at some point.
  • Thanos' decimation (what do you call a decimation when it's not 10%, but literally half) is going to rightly concern nations when it comes to the Infinity stones and if they're still in existence and who has them.
  • Captain Marvel returning means the Kree and Skrulls can't be far behind.
  • And though the movies have unwisely ignored the TV and Netflix shows, there is an Inhuman outbreak on the planet and corporations have been creating super powered people.*

These are some of the many reasons that governments would really start spying in earnest.

*Thunderbolt Ross and Tony's position on the Sokovia Accords makes waaaaay more sense if they had just put in a reference or two to ther TV stuff because on there people are eating fish tacos and winding up with powers or getting into a car accident and getting powers. Like duh, you'd want to register them, track where they are, and limit the use of their abilities as much as possible. Do you really want a depressed alcoholic with PTSD who can concave your face wandering around Manhattan let alone the world? Well, that's Jessica Jones.

Edited by HunterHunted
  • Love 4
18 hours ago, Wynterwolf said:

Interesting...

I want to see an Invaders series with Cap, Namor and the original Human Torch fighting actual Nazis and not Hydra.

1 hour ago, HunterHunted said:
  • Thanos' decimation (what do you call a decimation when it's not 10%, but literally half) is going rightly concern nations when it comes the Infinity stones and if they're still in existence and who has them.

Demimation?

Hemimation?

Semimation? (A bit too close to semimation maybe)

• Love 1
9 hours ago, HunterHunted said:

*Thunderbolt Ross and Tony's position on the Sokovia Accords makes waaaaay more sense if they had just put in a reference or two to ther TV stuff because on there people are eating fish tacos and winding up with powers or getting into a car accident and getting powers. Like duh, you'd want to register them, track where they are, and limit the use of their abilities as much as possible. Do you really want a depressed alcoholic with PTSD who can concave your face wandering around Manhattan let alone the world? Well, that's Jessica Jones.

Except they did that with the X Men and the Mutant Registration Act, which amounts to almost the same thing as the Accords. Logan, Magneto, Professor Xavier, etc weren't technically crime fighters the way the Avengers are, I guess, but Magneto's violent resistance to the idea of registration and/or a cure is exactly why he kidnapped Rogue to use her to turn everyone into a mutant whether their bodies could handle it or not. I suppose that with the merger stuff the MCU could make it a thing again, but I'm not sure how without telling identical stories.

5 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

I like Movie Wanda but, I hate Comics Wanda which leaves me mostly Meh on a Wanda lead TV Show.

Of the second phase characters, Wanda's my favorite, and if Olsen's already slated for the project I'd be doubly all in. I know she's doing a streaming show right now, but that's limited run. Is this a thing that's still in Development Hell, as it were,, or is it actually going to happen?

3 hours ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

Except they did that with the X Men and the Mutant Registration Act, which amounts to almost the same thing as the Accords. Logan, Magneto, Professor Xavier, etc weren't technically crime fighters the way the Avengers are, I guess, but Magneto's violent resistance to the idea of registration and/or a cure is exactly why he kidnapped Rogue to use her to turn everyone into a mutant whether their bodies could handle it or not. I suppose that with the merger stuff the MCU could make it a thing again, but I'm not sure how without telling identical stories.

They haven't quite done that in the MCU. On Agents of SHIELD, they've kind of turned the Accords into a Registration Act. However, the movies have essentially ignored all of the TV stuff. In the films, the Accords require registration of individuals with powers and super suits and dictates whether those individuals can use their abilities or assets in their home country and in other countries.  It also puts the Avengers under United Nations oversight. But ignoring the TV and Netflix universe means that the explosion in the number of enhanced individuals, which is honestly a much stronger argument for why the Accords are necessary, means that the Accords on the film side are really only about controlling about 2 dozen people:

• Tony Stark/Iron Man
  • James Rhodes/War Machine
  • Steve Rogers/Captain America
  • James "Bucky" Barnes/Winter Soldier
  • Sam Wilson/Falcon
  • Natasha Romanoff/Black Widow
  • Vision
  • Wanda Maximoff/Scarlet Witch
  • Thor
  • the Warriors Three and Sif
  • Loki
  • Destroyer Armor
  • Bruce Banner/Hulk
  • Clint Barton/Hawkeye

Of those individuals, the governments are really only concerned with Tony, Wanda, Vision, Bruce, and Thor. Tony and Vision have already signed. Bruce and Thor are missing, but will never sign. The Warriors Three, Sif, and the Destroyer Armor haven't been seen on Earth since Thor. This leaves Wanda, who can be reasoned with. So the UN went through all of this because of 3 individuals who can be reasoned with and 2 who will ignore the UN. It's dumb.

My point wasn't really about what the Accords do. My point was that the explosion of enhanced individuals on the TV side actually provides a better rationale for why the Accords are needed. There are hundreds of individuals running around with powers on the TV and Netflix side. It supports Tony's argument and it also makes Cap's position much less defensible. How much dumb disastrous shit did the Defenders cause by just trying to help? You trust people. Do you trust these idiots Steve?

The worst thing about the Accords is that nearly every character on the film side violates them before the end of the movie. Tony and T'Challa chase after Bucky and Cap in Siberia without UN permission and violate Russian sovereignty. Scott uses unregistered tech in a foreign country (airport battle) without permission. Peter hasn't registered, is using unregistered tech in a foreign country, and has minimal oversight from Happy and Tony in Homecoming. Worse still is that there seem to be almost no repercussions for violating it except for Scott and Clint.

The Accords are this big nothing impediment that the MCU mostly ignored going forward. Only Ant Man & the Wasp seemed to really acknowledge it.

• Love 2
On 19/09/2018 at 10:13 AM, Wynterwolf said:

I think that would have been the case in the past, but I think that especially with Netflix and Amazon, there isn't that distinction anymore between 'movie' and 'television' and I think with the advent of streaming, the lines between are going to blur even more.  I think it's more about, as you say, cost and also availability and desire.  

Agreed. If you present this as a classy mini-series HBO style with movie quality production values and movie level budgets I don't think you would have too much trouble getting movie grade actors. Hell Don Cheadle has been doing tv for most of his MCU career. 

The interesting thing about this is how they are straight up Marvel Studios productions, not Marvel TV. So they might not be any cross overs with existing shows.

I am pretty interested in these. I always thought the DVD one shots were cool. Hope these find there way to Canada.

• Love 1

Apparently Chris Evans is not averse to doing a limited streaming series (and this sounds really interesting)... and the way he talks about Steve Rogers, I won't be surprised if he reprises the role in some capacity at some point. I really think that ball will remain firmly in his court.  If at some point he wants to do it, TPTB will bend over backwards to make it happen.   

eta:  HA!  We posted at the same time, Kel Varnsen.  

etaa:  I'd also love to see more of the cast work together on non-Marvel stuff, like Chris Hemsworth and Tessa Thompson on MIB.  At a recent con, Sebastian Stan was asked who else he'd like to work with on a non-Marvel project and he mentioned Chadwich Boseman (which got a big cheer), Chris Pratt (which got a weak cheer), then he said... "and of course, Chris Evans", which got a huge cheer.  
Edited by Wynterwolf
  • Love 4

Why is he so cute? Anyway... If they were to do some kind of Cap show for that streaming channel then everybody is going to pony up for it. I know I will and I'm notoriously cheap. The lines between TV and movies starting blurring when streaming became the thing and especially when you could get so much original content that you can watch anytime you want. Even big movie actors started seeing good opportunities with TV series.

• Love 1

Chris, Anthony and Sebastian are always discussing collaborating on non-MCU projects together.

Sebastian constantly discusses wanting to work with Anthony most of all.

1 hour ago, starri said:

We've already seen Ayo, getting her girlfriend onscreen is the next logical step.

Aisha Hinds!

• Love 1
2 hours ago, starri said:

I would take a World of Wakanda series.  Especially if it focused on the Midnight Angels.  We've already seen Ayo, getting her girlfriend onscreen is the next logical step.

A series based on Wakanda and it's people would be awesome.  I would love to see how the people of Wakanda see themselves in relation to the world.. How is Wakandan society like? We did not get enough of it in the movie.. 

• Love 3