Type keyword(s) to search

The Marvel Cinematic Universe: The Avengers, etc.

vb68
  • Start Topic

2 hours ago, Which Tyler said:

I would watch the hell out of a fake documentary series on Wakanda, it's culture and its history

I have long wanted a David Attenborough version of some movies. Forget the plot, just show off the worldbuilding. A day in the life. James Cameron's Avatar and the recent Planet of the Apes are two contenders for this. Not that I'm making any unfortunate comparisons, mind you. But I think you get the idea.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, Joe said:

I have long wanted a David Attenborough version of some movies. Forget the plot, just show off the worldbuilding. A day in the life. James Cameron's Avatar and the recent Planet of the Apes are two contenders for this. Not that I'm making any unfortunate comparisons, mind you. But I think you get the idea.

Exactly; you could have Attenborough doing the natural history of the location; Bettany Hughes doing the ancient history; Simon Schama doing "modern" history, or Michael Wood doing one his "walking through" histories.

I've been known to suggest the same for Lord of the Rings...

• Love 2
7 hours ago, Joe said:

2 hours ago, Which Tyler said:

Exactly; you could have Attenborough doing the natural history of the location; Bettany Hughes doing the ancient history; Simon Schama doing "modern" history, or Michael Wood doing one his "walking through" histories.

Dan Harmon could pull it off. Community had an episode that was about pillow forts presented in the style of a Ken Burns documentary. However, Dan Harmon is just as problematic as James Gunn.

Seth Meyers and the Documentary Now! crew could pull it off, but I'm sure they have a development deal with IFC and AMC Networks that might preclude them working with Disney. But considering the success of reaching out to the Russos, who previously worked on comedies like Arrested Development and Community, Taika Waititi, and Ryan Coogler, it would be smart to reach out to unusual creators. Seth Meyers is actually a good fit because he had previously created the Awesomes, a superhero comedy for Hulu, with Mike Shoemaker and Judd Winnick.

5 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

I'd love a Wakanda series focusing on the Jabari Tribe

How do they interact with the other tribes. How did the past Black Panthers keep Wakanda society together despite the differences that exist between the 4 tribes and the Jabaris. I would love to see M'Baku interact in the world. Perhaps, he joins T'Challa on a mission and has to wear western clothes and acclimate to western culture.. That would be a riot..

• Love 3
44 minutes ago, Apprentice79 said:

How do they interact with the other tribes. How did the past Black Panthers keep Wakanda society together despite the differences that exist between the 4 tribes and the Jabaris. I would love to see M'Baku interact in the world. Perhaps, he joins T'Challa on a mission and has to wear western clothes and acclimate to western culture.. That would be a riot..

Yep. All of the above. There's really a good story there and, I'm not saying that because M'Baku ended up being one of my favorite characters from Black Panther. ?

• Love 3

I rewatched this the other day. Better than I remembered. Probably not in my top 5 MCU movies, but not in the bottom 5 either. The dumb humour with the GOTG took up less time than I originally thought, though it was just as bad. When I saw the trailer for the first time, I thought the aliens in the Wakanda battle either were or based on Mindless Ones. But this time, they looked more like Genestealers. Anyone else see that?

6 hours ago, Joe said:

I rewatched this the other day. Better than I remembered. Probably not in my top 5 MCU movies, but not in the bottom 5 either. The dumb humour with the GOTG took up less time than I originally thought, though it was just as bad. When I saw the trailer for the first time, I thought the aliens in the Wakanda battle either were or based on Mindless Ones. But this time, they looked more like Genestealers. Anyone else see that?

I assume you're referring to Infinity War. Yeah, I think it's got a real Game of Thrones filter on it. The logistics of it are impressive. The fact that it doesn't feel like an off kilter mess is impressive, but that doesn't mean that it's all that good, memorable, or a classic.

• Love 2

So I rewatched Ultron over the weekend (only the third time I’ve watched it and certain parts are still painfully terrible), but there was an interesting conversation between Steve and Sam at Tony’s party that I hadn’t paid much attention to before, where they had been talking about Sam following “cold leads” on their “missing persons case,” then Sam asks Steve if he’s found a place in Brooklyn yet, and Steve says, “I don’t think I can afford a place in Brooklyn.” 

Then Sam replies with, “Well, home is home, you know?” and Steve gets a very meaningful look on his face that (you can interpret any way that seems logical, but) to me says, because of the way the conversation flowed, that:  Bucky is essentially ‘home’ for Steve.  And then with hallucination!Peggy, telling him he can come ‘home’, and with Ultron taunting him that he’s only pretending to know how to live without a war (following from Steve's comment to Sam in WS that he didn’t know what else he’d do, and his conversation with Peggy about thinking he could ‘serve’, but not finding it fulfilling anymore, and Peggy’s ‘I got to live my life, but you never got to live yours’), and how awkward he is at Clint’s place… Steve really wants to ‘come home’, but he doesn’t know how without something to come home to

Cue the set up for Civil War and how hard Steve fought to bring Bucky ‘home’ alive.  Then later with Bucky’s, “I don’t know if I’m worth all this, Steve.” (for me, now harkening back to Steve’s comment about not being sure he could “afford” Brooklyn), and at that moment, Steve is certain that Bucky is worth it, and he’ll pay whatever price he has to. 

Brooklyn= Bucky=Home. 

Which (**cough**)… leads perfectly into my A4 headcanon that the prefect ending to Steve’s arc is for PresumedDead!Steve to be able to come ‘home’ to/with Bucky to Wakanda (especially with how often Bucky has been taken away from him). 

And after A4 he’ll totally be able to do that, he can let it all go because he’ll  know that everything is in good hands with Carol Danvers (and probably Fury to help handle all that tricky political stuff) as the leader of the re-imagined Avengers, as well as T’Challa and Peter (and others).  And because ActualDead!Steve just really doesn’t fulfill that arc, dammit.

• Love 7
2 hours ago, Dee said:

That's one of the six Phase 4 films?

I like the Eternals, mostly i liked Sersi, one of the few times i read Avengers back in the day was during the Sersi/Proctor storyline...and i still hate Crystal for coming between Sersi/Black Knight :-)

Just now, HunterHunted said:

How is that going to work when they've given her birthdate as 1984...in the films ...like actually aloud?

The possible explanation made sense to me, especially since they do like to time jump within movies (and they're having so much fun with the de-aging technology).  She would have been about 16 in 2000, and that actually seems to coincide with her hallucination in Ultron (which I had totally forgotten about until this weekend).  

Marvel’s Kevin Feige Confirmed to Oversee Disney’s X-Men Films

After months of speculation what role Marvel’s Merry Mutants would play in the MCU after plans of their acquisition by Disney went public late last year, Disney CEO Bob Iger has confirmed the X-Men will fall directly under the supervision of Marvel Studios President Kevin Feige.

“It only makes sense. I want to be careful here because of what’s been communicated to the Fox folks, but I think they know,” revealed Iger in an interview with The Hollywood Reporter when asked if the former Fox properties would be overseen by Feige’s Marvel Studios. “It only makes sense for Marvel to be supervised by one entity. There shouldn’t be two Marvels.”

Edited by Dee
  • Love 2
18 hours ago, HunterHunted said:

How is that going to work when they've given her birthdate as 1984...in the films ...like actually aloud?

Possibilities:

- It's flashbacks as Wynterwolf said (although she'd still be *training* in the Red Room, as I assume she would "graduate" around 17-18. This would then presumably be pretty brutal to watch)

- The rumor is incorrect or inaccurate (or might be an idea they are floating, but the movie is in such early development it could change)

- Her birthdate on record is false, put in SHIELD files to cover for her her youthful appearance (Zola may not have had access to all information), but she actually, as in the comics, is much older than she looks due to Black Widow biotech (a side effect of which is the sterility she mentioned in AOU). This would also explain why she said she worked for the KGB, which was disbanded along with the USSR in 1992, when she would have been 8. I know a LOT of folks who want to handwave that detail as either Marvel using "KGB" as shorthand for Russian Secret Police and/or the MCU has an alternate Cold War history, but I like to think Marvel's writers aren't that sloppy or uninformed in either case (it encourages a bad understanding of history to say "KGB" also means FSB, etc. etc.). I also want to reject the "KGB doesn't actually mean the KGB that was disbanded in 1992" because that argument seems to come mainly from fans who are resistant to the idea of Natasha having any powers--even though they are powers she actually has or had at some point in the comic books, and would explain other unusual things about Natasha, like how quickly she seems to recover from injury (like being shot in the neck by the Winter Soldier and being totally fine the next day). Moreover we know from Agent Carter that the Red Room was specifically a Soviet program (and I will fully admit also wanting the Black Widow biotech to be real so we can see Dottie again some day)--would the (very poor and heavily watched-over by the UN in the 1990s) Russian Republic have continued the program or even been able to? Indeed, while I personally am not keen about the BW movie taking place in the past (I'd rather see her future, and leave some things about her a mystery), doing this gives them the opportunity to reveal her enhanced stamina/slow aging in a way that's just been irrelevant to bring up in the other films.

Obviously I vote the third option, but anything could be possible, and again the movie is also very early in development so even if the rumor has merit/a legitimate source, it could still change.

Edited by DeathQuaker
grammar
  • Love 5
On 10/1/2018 at 6:25 PM, Wynterwolf said:

Interesting tidbit from set pics from Spiderman: FFH, seems like SHIELD might be playing a larger role in the MCU after A4?

Hmm.  Perhaps after the Snapture is fixed, maybe Nick Fury is the one that somehow gets Asswipe Ross and the Accords off their backs?

While on the subject, they've been playing The Incredible Hulk on TV a lot lately, and it never fails to remind me how much I hate that guy.

Edited by Spartan Girl

As bad as The Hulk movie was, I though Sam Elliot was a LOT better than William Hurt as Thunderbolt Ross.  His Ross was a prick too but not the slimy, worthless bastard that Hurt's Ross is.

• Love 7

Every single time I see Spiderman: FFH, my head automatically replaces the H with an S and so I keep calling it Spiderman: For Fuck's Sake.

As for Evans' tweet... here I am going 'Steve!! Don't leave me!!' and also 'You've done it. Well done. Go forth with all my good wishes for you.'

I'm torn.

• Love 10
On 10/3/2018 at 12:12 PM, benteen said:

As bad as The Hulk movie was, I though Sam Elliot was a LOT better than William Hurt as Thunderbolt Ross.  His Ross was a prick too but not the slimy, worthless bastard that Hurt's Ross is.

I have always been appalled that Hurt's Thunderbolt Ross is somehow the US Secretary of State in the MCU. Who in their right mind would EVER appoint that lunatic to be in charge of all of the diplomatic and foreign policy efforts for the United States? I can only conclude that

Spoiler

President Ellis is a Skrull and we're already in the middle of Secret Invasion.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Dandesun said:

As for Evans' tweet... here I am going 'Steve!! Don't leave me!!' and also 'You've done it. Well done. Go forth with all my good wishes for you.'

I'm torn.

Just the first part for me. And here I thought I'd made my peace with it but I saw that tweet and I haven't!

• Love 7

To be honest, I'm kinda numb about it at the moment.  I'm pretty much in 'expect the worst' mode, and not really letting myself 'hope for the best'.  

eta:  This helps tho...

Edited by Wynterwolf
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, Dandesun said:

I'm torn.

Part of me says this is an obvious misdirect, since I find it hard to believe that they would let this slip so far in advance of the movie coming out.  Or I could just be in denial.

1 hour ago, HunterHunted said:

I have always been appalled that Hurt's Thunderbolt Ross is somehow the US Secretary of State in the MCU. Who in their right mind would EVER appoint that lunatic to be in charge of all of the diplomatic and foreign policy efforts for the United States?

Sadly, that's been one of the more believable things to me.  Thunderbolt Ross is a prime example of failing upwards.

• Love 7
2 hours ago, HunterHunted said:

I have always been appalled that Hurt's Thunderbolt Ross is somehow the US Secretary of State in the MCU. Who in their right mind would EVER appoint that lunatic to be in charge of all of the diplomatic and foreign policy efforts for the United States? 

Maybe POTUS thought he had a real cool nickname? Naaaah. Too far-fetched.

• Love 2

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

I knew it was going to happen, but damn it hurts like hell. I'll miss Chris' Steve Rogers forever. He made Captain America an iconic movie character. Steve's honesty and devotion never felt false or annoying with Chris. I could root for Steve with no reservation. He was a true hero and when he showed up I knew that he would save the day. Steve deserves a memorable final scene. I only hope that he doesn't die, but rather the Time Stone sends him back to his time to be with the adorable Peggy, his one true love.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 10
38 minutes ago, SimoneS said:

I knew it was going to happen, but damn it hurts like hell. I'll miss Chris' Steve Rogers forever. He made Captain America an iconic movie character. Steve's honesty and devotion never felt false or annoying with Chris. I could root for Steve with no reservation. He was a true hero and when he showed up I knew that he would save the day. Steve deserves a memorable final scene. I only hope that he doesn't die, but rather the Time Stone sends him back to his time to be with the adorable Peggy, his one true love.

That would be an interesting twist. I hope this wasn't a spoiler that he dies.

Someone synced up the Snap with the end of AntMan and the Wasp when Scott is in the quantum realm, which appears to show new gold (soul stone color) particles appearing around Scott as we see people turn to dust in IW, which is pretty darn close to what a lot of us were assuming.  Here is a link to the post with the video, but be warned it also shows the rumored title for A4 (which relates to what is possibly going on in the synced video).  

• Love 2
18 hours ago, HunterHunted said:

That actually makes a bit of sense to me in the aftermath of Iron Man 3. Ellis had to deal with being kidnapped  and slated for execution by super-powered terrorists with the aid of his own VP. I can see him going way overboard in reaction by appointing a Secretary of State that he KNOWS isn't in cahoots with such types. Though I still think Secretary of Defense would have been better suited for Ross and his role in the Avengers movies, maybe in tandem with a new character handling the diplomatic end and Ross in charge of enforcement.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Bruinsfan said:

That actually makes a bit of sense to me in the aftermath of Iron Man 3. Ellis had to deal with being kidnapped  and slated for execution by super-powered terrorists with the aid of his own VP. I can see him going way overboard in reaction by appointing a Secretary of State that he KNOWS isn't in cahoots with such types. Though I still think Secretary of Defense would have been better suited for Ross and his role in the Avengers movies, maybe in tandem with a new character handling the diplomatic end and Ross in charge of enforcement.

Defense or Homeland Security makes sense. Prior to his appointment, everything we'd seen of Ross indicated that he'd be obstructionist and antagonizing in the role of Secretary of State. Furthermore I can see how Ellis might over react even though the only foreign individual in the IM3 terrorism scheme was Trevor Slattery, who is an idiot. However, I still think 

Spoiler

Ellis is a Skrull.

4 hours ago, Bruinsfan said:

Also keep in mind that a year after the POTUS is kidnapped and loses his VP you have the whole HYDRA reveal. We know at least one senator was HYDRA but who knows who else in the administration also was. So even though Ross is a weasel he seems loyal to his country, and after the hyrda thing there may have been a limited supply of people for those types of jobs. 

Plus besides being a weasel Ross is totally the type of guy who knows where all the bodies are buried and wouldn't be afraid to use that info for a promotion.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Kel Varnsen said:

Also keep in mind that a year after the POTUS is kidnapped and loses his VP you have the whole HYDRA reveal. We know at least one senator was HYDRA but who knows who else in the administration also was. So even though Ross is a weasel he seems loyal to his country, and after the hyrda thing there may have been a limited supply of people for those types of jobs. 

Loyal to his country my ass. The only thing he's truly loyal to is his ambitions and career. 

• Love 4

I am watching Winter Soldier for the umpteenth time. I realize that 1) Winter Soldier sealed my love for Chris Evans as Steve Rogers, 2) it is still definitely in my top five favorite Marvel movies if only for its amazing score, and 3) I know almost all of dialogue by memory.

Don't go, Chris, please don't go! Kevin Feige, please don't kill him in case he changes his mind one day, please! 

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 10
4 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

Loyal to his country my ass. The only thing he's truly loyal to is his ambitions and career. 

I think loyal at least in a sense that I don't think he would flip to Hydra even if they approached him. I think he is also the type of guy who even when he does shitty things, like oversee the accords or try and stop the Hulk, he does them becausr he believes they are in the best interest of the country.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, davidguttermans said:

Has anyone seen Venom .. would like to know if it worth watching as I don't think it is related to MCU in anyway and also the reviews are kinda bad.

I haven't seen it but I was listening to the radio and the DJ's were discussing it. They said that there was a scandal regarding fans of Lady Gaga bashing the movie as they wanted people to see her movie instead. From what screen junkies said (in non-spoiler videos) it was good but different from what they thought it would be. I hope to see it at some point, probably on-damand.

Edited by blueray
4 minutes ago, blueray said:

They said that there was a scandal regarding fans of Lady Gaga bashing the movie as they wanted people to see her movie instead.

Which was widely reported to be a hoax.  There was also a lot of blame heaped onto Disney/MCU fans.  Or basically anyone who didn't praise it.  

4 hours ago, davidguttermans said:

would like to know if it worth watching

Critics definitely panned it (which is why there was a review embargo right up until it released), but critics are often looking for different things than fans are.  I've seen a lot of people say it was terrible, but they still enjoyed it.  The most common comment I've seen is that it wasn't as bad as Suicide Squad.  A lot of people were expecting some kind of cameo from Spiderman and were disappointed that there wasn't any.  

17 hours ago, davidguttermans said:

Has anyone seen Venom .. would like to know if it worth watching as I don't think it is related to MCU in anyway and also the reviews are kinda bad.

According to the Venom thread here, it's an enjoyable mess.