Type keyword(s) to search

The Marvel Cinematic Universe: The Avengers, etc.

vb68
  • Start Topic

1 hour ago, Bill1978 said:

I guess when you can't legally make a Hulk movie but are allowed to use him in non-Hulk movies he suddenly appears in more Marvel movies than those with stand alone movies.

Yeah, they even said that Ragnarok, A3 & A4 were basically going to have a Hulk trilogy subplot carried through.  

• Love 5
13 hours ago, alihart41 said:

That's the apology. He has talked openly over the years about his former asshole persona on Twitter, and owned up to it, and about how he's changed thanks, ironically, to Disney. His old output was never a secret; Disney definitely knew about it. This is a guy who used to work for Troma, so they knew who they were getting in bed with. He said this last year in his Buzzfeed profile before Vol. 2 came out:

"I protect myself by writing scenes where people shoot people in the face," Gunn said, chuckling. "And if I have to think around shooting someone in the face, it's harder, but I think it's more rewarding for me." He cleared his throat. "I felt like Guardians forced me into a much deeper way of thinking about, you know, my relationship to people, I suppose. I was a very nasty guy on Twitter. It was a lot fucking edgy, in-your-face, dirty stuff. I suddenly was working for Marvel and Disney, and that didn't seem like something I could do anymore. I thought that that would be a hindrance on my life. But the truth was it was a big, huge opening for me. I realized, a lot of that stuff is a way that I push away people. When I was forced into being this" — he moved his hand over his chest — "I felt more fully myself."

And what's "this"?

"Sensitive, I guess?" he said. "Positive. I mean, I really do love people. And by not having jokes to make about whatever was that offensive topic of the week, that forced me into just being who I really was, which was a pretty positive person. It felt like a relief."

I think he's genuine in what he says about become a more positive person and getting away from that "persona", but I keep seeing people saying specifically that these tweets have been brought up before and he's already apologized, which doesn't seem to be strictly accurate either.

• Love 3

Is there word on whether or not Black Panther is getting a movie trilogy like Ironman, Thor, and Cap. America? I certainly hope so. I'm also very curious as to where BP2 is going to fall in the timeline, after Avengers 4? Which is supposed to have a five year time jump? It can't really be in between IW and A4 since T'Challa was dusted. Wondering how much will Bucky be in the next two possible BP movies since he's the White Wolf now.

• Love 1
24 minutes ago, ChromaKelly said:

Is there word on whether or not Black Panther is getting a movie trilogy like Ironman, Thor, and Cap. America? I certainly hope so. I'm also very curious as to where BP2 is going to fall in the timeline, after Avengers 4? Which is supposed to have a five year time jump? It can't really be in between IW and A4 since T'Challa was dusted. Wondering how much will Bucky be in the next two possible BP movies since he's the White Wolf now.

It kinda feels like they are changing to a more free-form structure where they'll keep stories going so long as they think there's interest and a story to tell, and the principles want to do it (like with the talk after Ragnarok about maybe doing another Thor since everyone had such a good time).  So I definitely think they'll continue doing Black Panther movies, so long as there's interest, and not necessarily just a trilogy, especially since I think they could eventually spin Shuri off into her own movie at some point, or even do some interesting team up movies with whatever characters they take forward (and I'm with ya on being excited for how they might use White Wolf!Bucky!!).  

Re: JG - there was a Variety article that said Disney was not aware of those tweets, and that the issues that had come up in 2012 that he apologized for was about a blog post he had made in 2011.  I vaguely remember that blog post now, but I still don't remember seeing anything about those tweets.  

Edited by Wynterwolf
  • Love 1
6 minutes ago, Wynterwolf said:

It kinda feels like they are changing to a more free-form structure where they'll keep stories going so long as they think there's interest and a story to tell, and the principles want to do it (like with the talk after Ragnarok about maybe doing another Thor since everyone had such a good time).  So I definitely think they'll continue doing Black Panther movies, so long as there's interest, and not necessarily just a trilogy, especially since I think they could eventually spin Shuri off into her own movie at some point, or even do some interesting team up movies with whatever characters they take forward (and I'm with ya on being excited for how they might use White Wolf!Bucky!!).  

I'm wondering if Shuri will end up being the BP possibly in A4 to help get T'Challa and the others back. That spare suit that Killmonger used has to be around somewhere. I'd be so down for a Shuri spinoff too.
I read somewhere that Sebastian Stan has a 9 picture contract, so I'm really, really hoping that includes that next two Black Panther movies.

• Love 4
Just now, ChromaKelly said:

I'm wondering if Shuri will end up being the BP possibly in A4 to help get T'Challa and the others back. That spare suit that Killmonger used has to be around somewhere. I'd be so down for a Shuri spinoff too.
I read somewhere that Sebastian Stan has a 9 picture contract, so I'm really, really hoping that includes that next two Black Panther movies.

I  think that it is almost certain that Shuri will be the Black Panther and maybe Queen of Wakanda in Avengers 4 before the good guys win and reset the timeline. Only some major falling out with  Chadwick would have him stepping out of the role with a still young Shuri taking over that corner of the MCU franchise.

I hope that they do go the White Wolf path with Bucky  rather than Captain America II. At best after the snap is reversed and if Steve Rogers then falls in battle and Bucky  picks up the shield like when fighting Iron Man in Civil War okay, but I don't need him in a flag suit 

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, ChromaKelly said:

Me too!!  And I could see Bucky and Sam having a cameo/supporting role in either or both the Spiderman and the AntMan/Wasp movies too.  Plus, we don't know yet how Captain Marvel might be carried forward, Bucky could end up being incorporated with her somehow too.  But yeah, a lot is going to depend on just how the resolve A4 and it's just so wide open for what they could do, I'm finding it really hard to speculate much until we have more to go on there.  

• Love 2
8 minutes ago, Raja said:

I  think that it is almost certain that Shuri will be the Black Panther and maybe Queen of Wakanda in Avengers 4 before the good guys win and reset the timeline. Only some major falling out with  Chadwick would have him stepping out of the role with a still young Shuri taking over that corner of the MCU franchise.

I hope that they do go the White Wolf path with Bucky  rather than Captain America II. At best after the snap is reversed and if Steve Rogers then falls in battle and Bucky  picks up the shield like when fighting Iron Man in Civil War okay, but I don't need him in a flag suit 

I really think Sam would be a better Captain America, if they go with Steve dying/retiring and passing on the mantle. Bucky seems to be a on a different path and I just don't see him becoming Cap.

9 minutes ago, Wynterwolf said:

Me too!!  And I could see Bucky and Sam having a cameo/supporting role in either or both the Spiderman and the AntMan/Wasp movies too.  Plus, we don't know yet how Captain Marvel might be carried forward, Bucky could end up being incorporated with her somehow too.  But yeah, a lot is going to depend on just how the resolve A4 and it's just so wide open for what they could do, I'm finding it really hard to speculate much until we have more to go on there.  

Same, there's just so many directions. We know there are going to be more Black Panther, Spiderman, and Guardians movies, so they all have to come back somehow, but how? And what's the timeline? Aaah!!!!

• Love 8
1 minute ago, ChromaKelly said:

I really think Sam would be a better Captain America, if they go with Steve dying/retiring and passing on the mantle. Bucky seems to be a on a different path and I just don't see him becoming Cap.

Plus, I feel like they are kind of setting up Captain Marvel to take on that roll in the overall universe... so I'm not sure they really need a new Cap.  

33 minutes ago, ChromaKelly said:

I mean, she's the one who designed all the alternates we saw her present to T'Challa in the movie, so it's not as if she'd have to scavenge leftovers. Though I think Okoye would be more effective in the Black Panther role than she would (and queen plus R&D head PLUS national champion is a lot to put on one person's plate).

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, Bruinsfan said:

I mean, she's the one who designed all the alternates we saw her present to T'Challa in the movie, so it's not as if she'd have to scavenge leftovers. Though I think Okoye would be more effective in the Black Panther role than she would (and queen plus R&D head PLUS national champion is a lot to put on one person's plate).

I like that too... though, with T'Challa gone, they would have to magically find more of the heart-shaped herb to even have another Black Panther at all, and I could see the Russos using that as a Thanos-created negative consequence for Wakanda that they have to deal with while the Original Avengers figure out how to fix things.  

1 hour ago, ChromaKelly said:

Same, there's just so many directions. We know there are going to be more Black Panther, Spiderman, and Guardians movies, so they all have to come back somehow, but how? And what's the timeline? Aaah!!!!

I think that given they've given Bucky the alias "The white wolf" ( as per the Black Panther easter egg/after credits scene) 

• Love 2
On 7/31/2018 at 1:39 PM, Perfect Xero said:

I think he's genuine in what he says about become a more positive person and getting away from that "persona", but I keep seeing people saying specifically that these tweets have been brought up before and he's already apologized, which doesn't seem to be strictly accurate either.

The whole thing about the Guardians is there a group of seriously messed up people who've done bad shit (except Groot) becoming better people. That all comes from Gunn.

2 hours ago, ChromaKelly said:

I definitely want Sam to take up the mantle.

• Love 1

If they get rid of Steve then I'd rather them do something like John Walker as nuCap and let the others play off of that rather than Sam or Bucky taking on the legacy.

I think that Sam has his own identity as Falcon and Buck seems to be finding his as White Wolf.

We're all assuming Steve is gonna die. I'm like 99% sure he will unless they throw some kind of curve ball which I doubt. There's not much info out there right now but I still love to speculate. Sometimes I think they're not even sure what they're gonna do. They've thrown out a few things that they could use if they want to go with the comics Bucky/Nat backstory. They've had Bucky holding that shield a few times. Now they've thrown out the White Wolf thing so I honestly don't know what they're gonna do. Personally I think either a SamCap or a BuckyCap movie could work and I'm sure either one would be an interesting way to go. Right now I'm thinking it will eventually be SamCap and they're going to go with Bucky in Wakanda but I change my mind on a daily basis on what I think is gonna happen. Maybe they're going to do something with Nat and Bucky because I'm not convinced her movie won't be a prequel and that she'll die in A4. For the record, I do not want that. I don't want a prequel although I'm fine with some flashbacks. Ugh, I think about this stuff too much and nobody around my house cares about my spec. 

What I really want is a Sam & Bucky movie. I don't care what they do, they can sit in McDonald's and eat chicken nuggets for the whole movie and I'd be happy. They'd be silly not to capitalize on that chemistry.

• Love 4

I was reading a conversation between movie reviewers in this morning's paper and they all agreed that Black Panther is the best movie of the year so far. They then went on to mention other movies I've never even heard of.

• Love 2

It's really sad that Evans is leaving Marvel altogether, because I could seriously watch a Steve/Sam/Bucky/Nat Mission Impossible-style spinoff series of films forever.

• Love 17

Steve/Sam/Bucky & Nat in Pizza Hut: The Movie

Now Sam is a pineapple on pizza kind of guy and grandpa Steve and grandma Bucky just can't understand that. Nat spends her time breaking up topping fights (yes, I know what I did there) and makes them all get cheese. Oh and they go do spy missions and kick ass and stuff. But it's really all about the pizza.

Sorry, I'm bored. 

• Love 5
5 hours ago, festivus said:

What I really want is a Sam & Bucky movie. I don't care what they do, they can sit in McDonald's and eat chicken nuggets for the whole movie and I'd be happy. They'd be silly not to capitalize on that chemistry.

I'm a sucker for day-in-the-life and road trip stuff so yeah I'd watch the crap out of that. Heck, "Can you move your seat up?" "No." (scoots over) alone has left me clamoring for a Sam/Bucky movie. Plus Seb Stan and Anthony Mackie are real life BFFs so please make this happen. Sam comes to Wakanda in BP2 to help out with whatever, Bucky is now the White Wolf and has to train him in something or another. Hilarity ensues. 

• Love 3
13 minutes ago, Dee said:

Bucky/Sam/Steve dish the dirt and receive complimentary mani/pedi's while Natasha dyes her hair platinum blond at a local Wakandan salon.

Oh yes, they totally dish the dirt everywhere they go. They do not make fun of Nat's hair though, they are not idiots. Then they go kick names and take ass! (oops, I did it again)

• Love 5
6 hours ago, ChromaKelly said:

I'm a sucker for day-in-the-life and road trip stuff so yeah I'd watch the crap out of that. Heck, "Can you move your seat up?" "No." (scoots over) alone has left me clamoring for a Sam/Bucky movie. Plus Seb Stan and Anthony Mackie are real life BFFs so please make this happen. Sam comes to Wakanda in BP2 to help out with whatever, Bucky is now the White Wolf and has to train him in something or another. Hilarity ensues. 

I am so here for that film. 

• Love 1
10 hours ago, ChromaKelly said:

Sam comes to Wakanda in BP2 to help out with whatever, Bucky is now the White Wolf and has to train him in something or another. Hilarity ensues. 

LOL, plus it would be so cool to be able to get Sam's POV on Wakanda.  

• Love 5
16 hours ago, Dee said:

It's really sad that Evans is leaving Marvel altogether, because I could seriously watch a Steve/Sam/Bucky/Nat Mission Impossible-style spinoff series of films forever.

Has this been confirmed or is something new? I know he made a comment about being done but, he also made a later comment about not being done and willing to resign.  Has he now come out again saying he's 100% done after A4?

2 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Has this been confirmed or is something new? I know he made a comment about being done but, he also made a later comment about not being done and willing to resign.  Has he now come out again saying he's 100% done after A4?

There's nothing definitely official as far as I have seen, and I don't think there ever will be even if he never comes back.  I think they'll always want to keep at least a cameo window open for him... he's just too popular.  But I do feel like he wants to do other things for a while and get a little freedom (like with the Broadway show that he did).  

Disney Unlikely to Rehire ‘Guardians of the Galaxy’ Director James Gunn

Despite a cast letter asking for James Gunn to be reinstated as the director of “Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3,” Walt Disney Studios is currently not planning on rehiring the filmmaker who it recently fired after a series of offensive tweets surfaced, according to multiple people familiar with the studio’s current thinking. The feeling within both Disney and Marvel is that the dozens of so-called jokes that Gunn made about pedophilia and rape are unacceptable in the #MeToo era and are not in line with Disney’s family-friendly image.

The studio recognized that “Guardians” cast members such as Chris Pratt and Zoe Saldana stopped short of threatening to quit the series, but there is widespread belief that the actors will show up for future installments, regardless of their personal feelings about Gunn. For one thing, most are under contract and would face legal action if they opted out of a sequel.

Edited by Dee

Given the politics swarming around the Gunn firing I wouldn't be surprised if Disney couldn't find any director willing to take over the movie. Nobody would want to be on the wrong side of history like those who replaced people in the 50's blacklist era.

10 hours ago, Raja said:

Given the politics swarming around the Gunn firing I wouldn't be surprised if Disney couldn't find any director willing to take over the movie. Nobody would want to be on the wrong side of history like those who replaced people in the 50's blacklist era.

I think there are plenty of directors willing to take the risk.  Gunn wasn't fired for making a heroic stand against oppression/sexism/etc., he was fired for making offensive and disgusting statements.  If this were truly a case like that then the actors would break their contracts, consequences be damned, because It's the Right Thing to Do.  I don't know the specifics of breaking a contract but I assume there's a big financial hit only, not jail time.  A-listers like Pratt and Saldana can likely absorb the hit and be OK even if they never make another film but I think we'll be seeing Peter Quill and Gamora doing their thing in Guardians 3.

• Love 7

That's the thing though.  Saldana and especially Pratt don't need Marvel nearly as much as Marvel needs them.  It was similar with DC and Wonder Woman.  Gal Gadot is very wealthy on her own, and there is no way there is a DCEU without her, so she had a lot of power when she made it clear she wasn't coming back if Brett Ratner wasn't dropped.  And good for her for saying that.

This situation is a lot more complex because this isn't Gunn's behavior, these are A) tweets, and B) old tweets.  They're utterly indefensible, but I haven't seen anything other than really, really poor taste that happened a long time ago.  He's not going around assaulting people, like Ratner, not actively being a bigot, like Roseanne.  I don't think here is a good solution here, so him being involved in picking his replacement is probably the least bad option they can find.

• Love 4

Marvel/Disney doesn't need them at all.  They have Spiderman, Black Panther and potentially Captain Marvel, plus with the merger, a whole host of new material to draw from going forward, and the Russos were talking about creating a completely new superhero that doesn't have comic roots during the viewing party last night.  If they end up scrapping GotG3 completely, this just frees up space to push something else forward.  

• Love 5

Yes as much as we'd hate to lose Chris Pratt and Zoe Saldana, the Marvel Universe can get along just fine without them. In fact this would be the time to lose them as they are heading into the transition to begin introducing a lot more characters and essentially move into a whole different phase of their films. Gal Gadot leaving Wonder Woman is a whole different kettle of fish. DCEU is barely established and not successful at all except for her and her movie. She might literally make or break their future plans and the viability of the franchises success. Pratt & Saldana will not for Marvel.

Edited by anna0852
  • Love 17
On 04/08/2018 at 9:21 AM, starri said:

That's the thing though.  Saldana and especially Pratt don't need Marvel nearly as much as Marvel needs them.

Well they are under contract, with Disney of course, so I am not too worried about them not showing up. I'm more interested in seeing if they phone it in, not give their best possible performance or don't get into the kind of physical shape they have in the past. That and I wonder how the promo tour for Guardians 3 or even Avengers 4 might go, since you know reporters will ask about the situation.

Was also watching the first guardianswith my kids over the weekend and was reminded how great the soundtrack was. My understaning is that those music choices were mostly made by Gunn. Hopefully they can find someone who can not only direct but find good music as well. Since that would really stick out if they didn't.

On 8/4/2018 at 9:43 AM, anna0852 said:

Yes as much as we'd hate to lose Chris Pratt and Zoe Saldana, the Marvel Universe can get along just fine without them. In fact this would be the time to lose them as they are heading into the transition to begin introducing a lot more characters and essentially move into a whole different phase of their films.

Exactly. I think that the actors are too professional not to do a good job, but if Disney thinks that Pratt and Saldana are phoning it in and if Bautista keeps up his whining, it will just end the whole Guardians franchise after the third movie. I actually think that it would be the perfect time to end it and free up room for Black Panther, Spiderman, Thor, and Captain Marvel (if successful) movies. I bet Disney would prefer these movies sooner than later. To keep the Guardians franchise partially alive, Disney could team Rocket and Groot with Thor, a pairing that has proven to be unexpectedly entertaining. All Disney needs is someone who does good voice impressions if Cooper and Diesel refuse to continue. The actors would be missed, but there are so many other Marvel superheroes who could easily make up for their loss. There is also the reboot of the X-Men movie franchise now that Disney owns the rights.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 5

I think it would be very difficult to replace Bradley Cooper's performance as Rocket, there's a lot more going on there than just a Brooklyn accent. But he only signed the open letter, he hasn't publicly criticized Disney in strong language like Bautista has.

http://ew.com/movies/2018/08/05/dave-bautista-return-guardians-galaxy-3-nauseating-james-gunn-firing/

It's nice to hear that kind of support. I'm not sure what Disney would do if the whole cast followed him by basically saying they will legally show up as they are contracted to but don't want to be there and would like to be dismissed if they original script written by James Gunn wasn't used.

Edited by blueray
  • Love 1
38 minutes ago, blueray said:

http://ew.com/movies/2018/08/05/dave-bautista-return-guardians-galaxy-3-nauseating-james-gunn-firing/

It's nice to hear that kind of support. I'm not sure what Disney would do if the whole cast followed him by basically saying they will legally show up as they are contracted to but don't want to be there and would like to be dismissed if they original script written by James Gunn wasn't used.

Nice to see Hollywood finally standing up for a rich white man who is being held accountable for something that he unquestionably did.

• Love 15
3 minutes ago, Perfect Xero said:

Nice to see Hollywood finally standing up for a rich white man who is being held accountable for something that he unquestionably did.

Something that happened 6 yrs ago. Sure it was horrible what he said and I don't support it obviously but people should be allowed to change. He hasn't done anything like that since and apologized for it.  This happened before they hired him in the first place and it was already discussed. I'm not sure the details of it but to me someone should be allowed to develop and change for the better.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Perfect Xero said:

I know, right? Hah! They always get a second chance with the claim that they have changed without any evidence.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, blueray said:

This happened before they hired him in the first place and it was already discussed. I'm not sure the details of it but to me someone should be allowed to develop and change for the better.

No one is preventing James Gunn from developing and changing for the better.

I also wouldn't be surprised to find out that Disney told him (and probably everyone else) - "we know you did xyz back then and we don't care NOW, but if it's brought up in future, we will take whatever actions we deem necessary".   Disney obviously would rather have the fallout from the firing than the fallout from not firing him.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, Perfect Xero said:

So next they should clearly fire Downey, yes? I'm sure someone somewhere can scrounge up something about his drug addiction and legal problems. Hell, Downey served jail time. Not much, but probably enough for Disney to take exception to if they wanted.

4 hours ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

So next they should clearly fire Downey, yes? I'm sure someone somewhere can scrounge up something about his drug addiction and legal problems. Hell, Downey served jail time. Not much, but probably enough for Disney to take exception to if they wanted.

Two of RDJs arrests, if I recall correctly were for driving under the influence and breaking into someone's house (also while high). Now both of those seem like worse things to me then spouting off shit on twitter (especially shit not targeted at anyone), but no way Disney wants that kind of PR mess associated with firing their top actor.

Also I see Dave Bautista says he wants out of GOTG3 if Gunn's script isn't used. Pretty brave move since of all the main actors he is probably the one with the most limited career options outside the MCU.

2 hours ago, Kel Varnsen said:

Now both of those seem like worse things to me then spouting off shit on twitter

RDJ actions were detrimental mainly to himself, not others.  The instances he was a danger to others, he was arrested and he went to jail for that.  He was fired, he couldn’t get work because he couldn’t get bonded.  There were appropriate consequences to his actions, which he accepted.  Then he got help (particularly for probable undiagnosed mental health issues that he had likely been trying to self-medicate for years).  He worked his way back.  That is basically the definition of a ‘redemption arc’.

JG made horrific public statements about harming children, women and other marginalized people.  To my knowledge, he only acknowledged and publicly apologized for the blog post (which was offensive, but not nearly as harmful as those tweets) after he was called out for it, and said publicly that previously he ‘wasn’t a good guy’ and that he was trying to do better.  

The consequence to him was that he was given a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity (over countless other immensely qualified people, many of whom were part of those marginalized groups he was previously harming with his tweets), which he did do well with, and he has apparently made significant progress on becoming a better person. 

But there were no consequences to him for those tweets (until now).  To my knowledge, he hasn’t done anything to mitigate, or even acknowledge the harm he caused to those marginalized groups, he’s basically just said, ‘oops, my bad… I wasn’t good at what I was trying to do, which was be ‘provocative and funny’.  The only people those tweets would be funny to are predators, and his actions helped (and continue to help) normalize those ideas (again even now, since I’ve seen a lot of justification for anger over his firing based on those tweets being “victimless”, they weren’t).  It makes no difference how long ago that was, it’s still something he’s never publicly done anything to acknowledge the actual harm he caused, or to take any action to publicly help those marginalized groups.  That’s not how to write a good redemption arc. 

But I think the actual point of contention here is how one views those tweets:  either as a ‘victimless’ offence of bad taste, or public statements that were profoundly harmful to marginalized people.  I'm also going to try very hard not to make any more posts about this, because I don't think this discussion belongs in this thread, wish me luck!    

• Love 14
2 hours ago, Kel Varnsen said:

Two of RDJs arrests, if I recall correctly were for driving under the influence and breaking into someone's house (also while high). Now both of those seem like worse things to me then spouting off shit on twitter (especially shit not targeted at anyone), but no way Disney wants that kind of PR mess associated with firing their top actor.

Also I see Dave Bautista says he wants out of GOTG3 if Gunn's script isn't used. Pretty brave move since of all the main actors he is probably the one with the most limited career options outside the MCU.

RDJ went through a period of being considered unhireable because he kept getting in trouble due to his drug use.   If I remember correctly getting arrested and having to do prison time screwing with Ally Mcbeal production seemed to be when studios decided to stop taking a chance on him until Mel Gibson intervened.   He offered to act as RDJ’s insurance repaying the studio back for any losses if RDJ messed up production again.  RDJ did not mess up that time {I think if was the movie The Singing Detective} and was able to start getting work again.   So RDJ did face repercussions for his poor history but was able to overcome it with the help of Mel Gibson.   Without Mel Gibson, I’m not sure what would have happened to RDJ’s career which I guess is why RDJ is willing to publicly support Mel Gibson despite his public scandals.  

Should you pay permanently  for the horrible things you did in your past?  I suppose it depends on what you did, the harm you caused, and whether there are indications you’re going to be a repeat offender.  I really don’t know what to think about Jim Gunn.  What he said was horrible but it’s been several years of him no longer making those type of comments.    I don’t know if he said terrible things just for shock value or if it’s an indication of something unforgivable in Gunn’s character.  In the end, it’s all about profit.  If a studio thinks they can make a lot of money with you they will hire you despite the trouble you’ve gotten into but if they think you will cost them money they will get rid of you.  Sometimes Hollywood is shockingly forgiving of horrible things people do and in other cases they move quickly to get rid of a potential scandal.   The perception that you bring in profits is the key.  Harvey Weinstein didn’t start facing repercussions until his movies weren’t doing as well financially and critcally.  Only when he was vulnerable on a professional level was when any of the stories that have been going around for years started getting taken seriously.  I think for Hollywood  it’s not a matter of right and wrong but who has power and who they think is expendable.

• Love 7
On 8/6/2018 at 5:09 PM, blueray said:

Something that happened 6 yrs ago. Sure it was horrible what he said and I don't support it obviously but people should be allowed to change. He hasn't done anything like that since and apologized for it.  This happened before they hired him in the first place and it was already discussed. I'm not sure the details of it but to me someone should be allowed to develop and change for the better.

There is no evidence I've seen that it was already discussed and I believe that Disney has said they were previously unaware of the tweets. The apology/controversy from when he was hired that people keep referencing was, as far as I can tell, only over a blog post he made that contained some really problematic 'jokes' about LGBTQ people.

I should be clear that I would not have fired him were it my decision, but at the same time he cracked a joke that pretty much amounted to saying that his idea of 'getting lucky' was snatching a kid as recently as Dec 2012, which was after he'd been hired to direct GotG. So while I wouldn't have fired him, I don't particularly see Disney choosing to fire him as a huge injustice either.

• Love 7
12 hours ago, Luckylyn said:

Without Mel Gibson, I’m not sure what would have happened to RDJ’s career which I guess is why RDJ is willing to publicly support Mel Gibson despite his public scandals. 

Forget career, I'm not sure he would still be alive tbh.

• Love 11