Type keyword(s) to search

The Marvel Cinematic Universe: The Avengers, etc.

vb68
  • Start Topic

On ‎3‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 11:28 AM, Kel Varnsen said:

So Yelena Belova?

Seems the likeliest option. I've only seen Pugh in that crappy Robert the Bruce film on Netflix, and wasn't overly impressed. But she came across well in the interviews she gave for Fighting With My Family.

I hope they don't set the Black Widow movie in the past, completely. I'd rather they built a structure similar to a lot of Black Widow comic book stories - a present day story that is dictated by things that happened in her past, so they can switch between present day and a  younger Natasha.

Taskmaster Is the Main Villain in Black Widow?

Taskmaster will reportedly be the main villain in Marvel Studios' upcoming Black Widow. Scarlett Johansson is finally getting her own standalone Marvel Cinematic Universe movie and details are slowly starting to gather before the presumed production starts this June. Ever since the movie was announced, MCU fans have been trying to figure out who the main antagonist will be. Now, it looks like the mystery might have been solved and Marvel Comics fans should be pretty happy.

Marvel Studios reportedly wants Moonlight star André Holland to take on the role.

Edited by Dee
  • Love 1

Okay, yes, very gross. But also plausible. This is the sort of thing creators never think about when they're giving characters abilities but fans do, lol.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, anna0852 said:

Oh my god!!!!!

What twisted mind came up with _that_!!!!?????

It popped up in my Facebook feed as a poll asking 'How will Thanos be defeated?' The choices was the Ant-Man one and the other was Captain Marvel. Ant-Man won with 91% of the votes.

7 hours ago, Bill1978 said:

It popped up in my Facebook feed as a poll asking 'How will Thanos be defeated?' The choices was the Ant-Man one and the other was Captain Marvel. Ant-Man won with 91% of the votes.

I think the intetedting things is that there are a few different things at play. They have to defeat Thanos,  and then they have to reverse the snap. Accomplishing one doesn't mean accomplishing the other.

Plus I am really curious to see what happens if they defeat Thanos without killing him. What woukd they do with him, considering how poorly locking up Loki went.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Kel Varnsen said:

I think the intetedting things is that there are a few different things at play. They have to defeat Thanos,  and then they have to reverse the snap. Accomplishing one doesn't mean accomplishing the other.

Plus I am really curious to see what happens if they defeat Thanos without killing him. What woukd they do with him, considering how poorly locking up Loki went.

They have to kill him, I'd think. Thanos is the one who's been pulling the strings all along; with Loki, with the Chitauri, with Gamora and Nebula, in gathering the Infinity Stones, and on and on. Even without his allies, since I think all of the Children died during IW, he won because he had the gauntlet, and where in the world could they keep him and not have to worry he'd escape? Hell, Steve managed to break Sam and the others out of the Raft without too much trouble, and that was actually designed to be unbreachable in addition to them realizing they might have to subdue Wanda somehow so she couldn't use her powers.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, ramble said:

I would prefer crawl into his ear and explode his skull...

He, had to laugh that the first thought was crawling up his ass. Like there aren't better options. Hell, getting swallowed would work too.

Of course now this has me thinking...would Scott get hurt in the expansion process?

Why am I even thinking about this? 😂

• LOL 5
56 minutes ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

They have to kill him, I'd think. Thanos is the one who's been pulling the strings all along; with Loki, with the Chitauri, with Gamora and Nebula, in gathering the Infinity Stones, and on and on. Even without his allies, since I think all of the Children died during IW, he won because he had the gauntlet, and where in the world could they keep him and not have to worry he'd escape? Hell, Steve managed to break Sam and the others out of the Raft without too much trouble, and that was actually designed to be unbreachable in addition to them realizing they might have to subdue Wanda somehow so she couldn't use her powers.

Could be interesting. I could see Endgame ending in a situation where Thanos is beaten and totally shutdown but not dead. Would the Avengers execute him? Normally I hate heroes don't kill stories but the Operation Galactic Storm comic did a similar story with the Avengers and the Kree Supreme Intelligence. The only problem is that if the group is not in agreement on killing it divides the team and you would kind of need another movie to resolve those conflicts. And if the conflicts are between original Avengers how is that going to work?

Edited by Kel Varnsen
  • Love 1

I don’t know that I think any of the original Avengers would be all that reticent to kill a beaten Thanos, tbh. Natasha and Thor and Clint would have no issues. Bruce might have qualms but doesn’t have the balls to stand up against the others. Steve would probably feel guilty as hell and be morally conflicted—maybe THAT is why he goes into retirement?—but at his core he would recognize that Thanos is too dangerous to live and bow to pragmatism. As for Tony, he has justified pretty much every crappy thing he’s done from Ultron on in the name of making the world perfectly secure, so he BETTER not flinch when the rubber meets the road. I suspect that Peter turning to dust in his arms/Tony’s overall failure in IW will flip enough of his rage/guilt switch to get him into “WHATEVER IT TAKES” mode.

Edited by stealinghome
  • Love 2
10 minutes ago, stealinghome said:

I don’t know that I think any of the original Avengers would be all that reticent to kill a beaten Thanos, tbh. Natasha and Thor and Clint would have no issues. Bruce might have qualms but doesn’t have the balls to stand up against the others. Steve would probably feel guilty as hell and be morally conflicted—maybe THAT is why he goes into retirement?—but at his core he would recognize that Thanos is too dangerous to live and bow to pragmatism. As for Tony, he has justified pretty much every crappy thing he’s done from Ultron on in the name of making the world perfectly secure, so he BETTER not flinch when the rubber meets the road. I suspect that Peter turning to dust in his arms/Tony’s overall failure in IW will flip enough of his rage/guilt switch to get him into “WHATEVER IT TAKES” mode.

I'm not sure Steve would be a holdout. If we're going to count Peter dusting in front of Tony and/or Stark's "justifications" as reason enough for him to agree to Thanos' death, then we must remember that Cap watched Bucky turn to ashes for the same reason Peter did. Half of the out of control things Steve's ever done have been because of Barnes, so let's not make an exception at this late date.

In a perfect world, Nebula should be allowed to land the killing blow. For Gamora, for herself, because Thanos doesn't even consider her worth the effort to kill. That's why this makes me happy, and it's from the trailer so it isn't a spoiler:

image.png.083c04a3193774007dd11d4220e46458.png

• Love 10
1 hour ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

In a perfect world, Nebula should be allowed to land the killing blow. For Gamora, for herself, because Thanos doesn't even consider her worth the effort to kill. That's why this makes me happy, and it's from the trailer so it isn't a spoiler:

image.png.083c04a3193774007dd11d4220e46458.png

100% this. Nebula and Gamora have suffered at his hands for years. Nebula deserves that killing blow.

• Love 8
10 hours ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

If Wong is still around, I suppose the heroes have access to more secure ways to imprison a defeated Thanos than the US government or even Wakanda can manage.

Steve has thrown and kicked people into propellers and turned them into red mist... are we really seriously thinking that he's going to go 'Naw, he's beaten. No need to go further.' Steve is a man well versed in WAR. His hands are not clean and he'd be the first to say it. Thanos has destroyed half the universe. Steve's not going to pull ANY punches. 

Also, funny as the 'Ant-Man jumps up Thanos ass to kill him' is, it would probably make WAY more sense to fly into his ear or up his nose.

Edited by Dandesun
  • Love 7
4 minutes ago, Dandesun said:

Steve has thrown and kicked people into propellers and turned them into red mist... are we really seriously thinking that he's going to go 'Naw, he's beaten. No need to go further.' Steve is a man well versed in WAR. His hands are not clean and he'd be the first to say it.

One thing I won't miss if there's a changing of the guard after Endgame is the insistence that Steve Rogers is a living saint who farts rainbows. Of all the things Tony has done wrong, both accidentally and on purpose, the only reason Cap never gets away with anything is because no one ever acts like he did anything wrong. It'll be a welcome change if that stops after the next film.

• Love 3
7 hours ago, Dandesun said:

Steve has thrown and kicked people into propellers and turned them into red mist... are we really seriously thinking that he's going to go 'Naw, he's beaten. No need to go further.' Steve is a man well versed in WAR. His hands are not clean and he'd be the first to say it. Thanos has destroyed half the universe. Steve's not going to pull ANY punches. 

Also, funny as the 'Ant-Man jumps up Thanos ass to kill him' is, it would probably make WAY more sense to fly into his ear or up his nose.

17 hours ago, Kel Varnsen said:

I could see Endgame ending in a situation where Thanos is beaten and totally shutdown but not dead. Would the Avengers execute him? Normally I hate heroes don't kill stories but the Operation Galactic Storm comic did a similar story with the Avengers and the Kree Supreme Intelligence. The only problem is that if the group is not in agreement on killing it divides the team and you would kind of need another movie to resolve those conflicts. And if the conflicts are between original Avengers how is that going to work?

IMO, there is a big difference between killing in the heat of battle/war/duty and executing someone.  We've seen this situation come up a few times in the MCU.  At the end of Avengers a broken/beaten/defeated Loki is not executed but, sent back to Asgard to be imprisoned for his crimes.  In Civil War, T'Challa doesn't execute or even allow Zemo to suicide and, in Black Panther T'Challa offers Killmonger a chance to be saved, which Killmonger refused.  Heck just recently we had Captain Marvel not kill her villain, after defeating him.

In this situation, discussing executing a defeated but, not dead foe, the rules/morals tend to change. IMO Clint, Nat and Fury would totally kill Thanos, they're assassins/spies and tend to have different rules/morals.  Tony would probably declare that Thanos had to die but, not actually have the balls to do it himself.  Bruce would defer to the others, while Hulk would rip Thanos' head off. Thor and Steve are my question marks, I could see them going either way.  I could see Steve arguing for prison or quietly pulling the trigger while everyone else is arguing. I could see Thor wanting revenge and executing Thanos or I can see Thor doing what T'Challa did in Civil War.

For the record, i also think Scott would be a big NO on execution but, I expect Nebula and Rocket to flat out kill him.

• Love 6
15 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

IMO, there is a big difference between killing in the heat of battle/war/duty and executing someone.  We've seen this situation come up a few times in the MCU.  At the end of Avengers a broken/beaten/defeated Loki is not executed but, sent back to Asgard to be imprisoned for his crimes.  In Civil War, T'Challa doesn't execute or even allow Zemo to suicide and, in Black Panther T'Challa offers Killmonger a chance to be saved, which Killmonger refused.  Heck just recently we had Captain Marvel not kill her villain, after defeating him.

In this situation, discussing executing a defeated but, not dead foe, the rules/morals tend to change. IMO Clint, Nat and Fury would totally kill Thanos, they're assassins/spies and tend to have different rules/morals.  Tony would probably declare that Thanos had to die but, not actually have the balls to do it himself.  Bruce would defer to the others, while Hulk would rip Thanos' head off. Thor and Steve are my question marks, I could see them going either way.  I could see Steve arguing for prison or quietly pulling the trigger while everyone else is arguing. I could see Thor wanting revenge and executing Thanos or I can see Thor doing what T'Challa did in Civil War.

For the record, i also think Scott would be a big NO on execution but, I expect Nebula and Rocket to flat out kill him.

I think Steve is absolutely fine with killing his enemies in the heat of battle, even if he doesn't relish it. He told Dr. Erskine that he didn't want to kill anyone, but the implication was that he was prepared to do it to defend his country.

I tend to think that sentiment carries over to the present day, and his role in the Avengers - He'll kill if he has to, to stop the bad guys and protect people. But would Steve think a defeated/surrendered enemy is someone who has to be killed? No, I don't think he would.

As you say, Clint, Nat and Fury would be more than happy to do it. Hell, any of them would happily pop Thanos from a thousand yards, while he's sitting down eating lunch. They're spies and assassins. Same goes for Bucky, if he weren't dust (and had a semblance of character). Tony would be the sort of guy who talks big, but then frets when he realises someone is actually going to do it, and feels guilty afterwards (because we really need more Tony Stark guilt, right?).

Rocket and Nebula will always shoot first and ask questions... probably never.

Regarding Thor, I think he's more of a pragmatist than most, and probably isn't in a very good headspace regarding Thanos. But even if he wasn't, the role of a ruler is to make the hard choices, for the good of his people. And I think Thor's would be that Thanos is too dangerous to live. And I think T'Challa's outlook would probably be the same, especially because his dumb, noble decision regarding Killmonger backfired so spectacularly.

• Love 6
38 minutes ago, Danny Franks said:

I tend to think that sentiment carries over to the present day, and his role in the Avengers - He'll kill if he has to, to stop the bad guys and protect people. But would Steve think a defeated/surrendered enemy is someone who has to be killed? No, I don't think he would.

I lean towards this but, i thought it would be an interesting turn/character journey if Steve was the one to pull the trigger...there would be guilt but, i could see him doing it and then walking away from being Captain America...like it HAD to be done but, I no longer deserve to wear the Uniform. Similar to when he dropped his shield after the fight with Tony.

40 minutes ago, Danny Franks said:

Tony would be the sort of guy who talks big, but then frets when he realises someone is actually going to do it, and feels guilty afterwards (because we really need more Tony Stark guilt, right?).

Yep.

40 minutes ago, Danny Franks said:

Regarding Thor, I think he's more of a pragmatist than most, and probably isn't in a very good headspace regarding Thanos. But even if he wasn't, the role of a ruler is to make the hard choices, for the good of his people. And I think Thor's would be that Thanos is too dangerous to live. And I think T'Challa's outlook would probably be the same, especially because his dumb, noble decision regarding Killmonger backfired so spectacularly.

Thor is someone i just can't get a handle on. He's a warrior so I'd lean towards him having the same view as Steve.  At the same time, he's now a leader/King and has to look at the bigger picture.  He's also a man who lost everything he's ever loved in a very short time, Mom/Dad, Brother, BFF, home.  I just keep going back and forth on if he would execute or not.

• Love 4
44 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

I lean towards this but, i thought it would be an interesting turn/character journey if Steve was the one to pull the trigger...there would be guilt but, i could see him doing it and then walking away from being Captain America...like it HAD to be done but, I no longer deserve to wear the Uniform. Similar to when he dropped his shield after the fight with Tony.

So we can have the death of Captain America, but Steve Rogers survives his very long enlistment as a soldier. It could happen but then we still have that pesky Uncle Ben, with great power comes, and his nephew young Peter's if we don't do anything we are sort of responsible ethic that the MCU hero class lives by.

8 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Thor is someone i just can't get a handle on. He's a warrior so I'd lean towards him having the same view as Steve.  At the same time, he's now a leader/King and has to look at the bigger picture.  He's also a man who lost everything he's ever loved in a very short time, Mom/Dad, Brother, BFF, home.  I just keep going back and forth on if he would execute or not.

I like that idea for Steve. I don't recall him executing any German POW's in civil war but I can see him reluctantly changing his mind for Thanos due to the extreme nature of the situation.

As for Thor he obviously sees death as something different than any human would. Think of the funeral situation for his mom in Dark World. I can totally see him ok with sending Thanos to the next life.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, Danny Franks said:

Thor also recently experienced the consequences of someone's choice to lock an overwhelmingly powerful nihilist away in exile rather than outright killing her, which is why Asgard was a small band of refugees when Thanos struck rather than an entire civilization nestled in a capitol with highly advanced defenses that might have stood a chance against him. I think he'd realize how much a risk a living Thanos represents and perform the execution regardless of what his teammates decide collectively.

• Love 8
2 minutes ago, Bruinsfan said:

Thor also recently experienced the consequences of someone's choice to lock an overwhelmingly powerful nihilist away in exile rather than outright killing her, which is why Asgard was a small band of refugees when Thanos struck rather than an entire civilization nestled in a capitol with highly advanced defenses that might have stood a chance against him. I think he'd realize how much a risk a living Thanos represents and perform the execution regardless of what his teammates decide collectively.

That is an excellent point, you've sold me.

Can you imagine if they make a movie about Stan Lee's life? I think the closing scene should be Kevin Feige approaching him aka Nick Fury to Tony Stark: "I'd like to talk to you about the Marvel Cinematic Universe."

• Love 6

Angelina Jolie in Talks to Make Marvel Debut With 'The Eternals'

The Oscar-winning actress is in talks to star in Marvel Studios' The Eternals, a superhero team adventure feature being directed by Chloe Zhao.

Jolie has chosen the Marvel project based on the Jack Kirby-created title about superpowered and near-immortal beings known as Eternals and a more monstrous offshoot known as the Deviants that were created by the cosmic beings called Celestials.

While details about the movie are being kept under wraps, sources tell The Hollywood Reporter that one aspect to the story involves the love story between Ikaris, a man fueled by cosmic energy, and Sersi, who relishes moving amongst humans. It is unclear who Jolie will play. Marvel had no comment.

22 minutes ago, Dee said:

Cate Blanchett was great but I could have totally seen Angelina as Hela too, she already has experience with an obscene headpiece.

I'm not sure how I feel about a star of her magnitude joining the MCU. Other A-List stars have joined the franchise but this feels different, because AJ is uber famous and that's mostly for her personal life. It'll be hard to see her and not see her. I prefer when they cast famous people as the villains, maybe that's what she's up for.

• Love 3

I mean, if your going to cast AJ in some part of the MCU, The Eternals is the one I would have gone with. Its big and operatic and larger than life, and I think thats what she excels at, especially as of late.

Its weird, and having such a big name around is going to take some getting used to, but the MCU castings peeps haven't let me down yet, I trust their judgement.

• Love 5

Blah.  I'd much prefer Marvel's current theme of picking little known to unknown actors.   Granted even when they pick big actors they are known for their acting and now for their personal life.  

Although, I admit to being biased as I don't like AJ very much.

I hope they don't cast her as Sersi, she's my favorite Eternal

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 3

If she has a smallish role, as a mentor or villain - similar to how they've used big names in the past, like Anthony Hopkins, Jeff Bridges and Annette Bening - then I'll be okay with it But Angelina Jolie as one of the leads in a superhero movie, in 2019? I can't really see it.

All I know of the Eternals is from that Neil Gaiman/John Romita Jr mini-series, from ten or fifteen years ago. They were kind of interesting, but I don't really see the appeal of making a movie all about them.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Zuleikha said:

I don't see the issue with Angelina Jolie. She's very famous, but she's also already done action movies. 

I could see Marvel wanting to put Angelina Jolie in a lead. However that the pattern so far was for the big name to come in as the one off villain or smaller role like Robert Redford, Cate Blancett, William Hurt and Glenn Close.,  So would Angelina Jolie sign up to come back for Eternals 2 and 3 along with Avengers 6,7 and 8 at this point of her career?

On 3/28/2019 at 11:37 AM, Danny Franks said:

They were kind of interesting, but I don't really see the appeal of making a movie all about them.

True, but people would have said the same thing about the Guardians of the Galaxy a few years ago.

Honestly there's a lot you could do with the concept of immortals living among us throughout history. (see Highlander as an example). Also, the Eternals mythology includes the Deviants and the Celestials. So, it could be another way to expand the MCU.

• Love 3
28 minutes ago, Captain Carrot said:

Honestly there's a lot you could do with the concept of immortals living among us throughout history. (see Highlander as an example). Also, the Eternals mythology includes the Deviants and the Celestials. So, it could be another way to expand the MCU.

Plus, I think it gives them a framework to be able to reinvent (which feels like a theme they're leaning on hard both on screen and behind the scenes) the MCU, and add multiple layers of diversity going forward.  The MCU isn't limited to the comic history, but it can use it as a springboard to go somewhere different.  The biggest thing I'm interested in going forward is to see how they handle adding canon queer content.

Edited by Wynterwolf

Since the Eternals were sort of patterned on the Greek gods, I can see the MCU just folding the two together and including Hercules and Venus among their number. (And maybe Neptune down the line if they do anything with Namor or Atlantis.)

Something that's been on my mind for a while. Y'know how I knocked the Captain Marvel fight scenes a couple of weeks back? I rewatched Infinity War and saw the same problem. George Miller, Mad Max director, has a philosophy about action scenes. Keep it where the audience is looking. Start in the middle, and if the action goes to one side, the next shot should show the action going from that side back to the middle. So the audience can follow.

However, CM & IW don't do that. They'll show something in one part of the screen, the next shot will be in another part. It takes a few moments for the audience to refocus, especially during action scenes. That's valuable storytelling time. Are the other MCU movies like this, or do they have a more focused take on the action?

Yes, I realise a lot of movies might have this problem. But those are the only two I've watched recently.

I tend to watch Screen Junkies and today one of them was waiting to purchase tickets during the show and would give updates on how much time was left. At the very end she ended up getting her tickets. But the frenzy as she was picking her seat and entering her credit card was so funny.  (It's about 28 mins in, or check the description box for timestamps. I tried linking from the timestamp but who knows if it works.)

• Love 2
2 hours ago, frenchtoast said:

I tend to watch Screen Junkies and today one of them was waiting to purchase tickets during the show and would give updates on how much time was left. At the very end she ended up getting her tickets. But the frenzy as she was picking her seat and entering her credit card was so funny.  (It's about 28 mins in, or check the description box for timestamps. I tried linking from the timestamp but who knows if it works.)

I watch too! Yep, that part was great. My heart was racing just like Billy's when Danielle was trying to get tickets. Great moment in sports indeed.

I have a thoery. Tony survives. When Dr Strange appears, he mentions that it was a lovely wedding. Yes, I know he can see multiple futures. But it feels like a strange detail to include if the plan is to kill him.

Outside Infinity War, the MCU has never gone for brutal. Sad and tragic, certainly. But there's a difference between a death in LOTR and GOT. Killing the founder of the MCU leans more towards brutal. Let him retire and stay retired.

6 hours ago, Anduin said:

I have a thoery. Tony survives. When Dr Strange appears, he mentions that it was a lovely wedding. Yes, I know he can see multiple futures. But it feels like a strange detail to include if the plan is to kill him.

Outside Infinity War, the MCU has never gone for brutal. Sad and tragic, certainly. But there's a difference between a death in LOTR and GOT. Killing the founder of the MCU leans more towards brutal. Let him retire and stay retired.

That's kind of my thoughts, and the fact that RDJ has a movie by movie deal and Chris Hemsworth mentioned being game for more movies.  Short of an actor saying "I don't care how many dump trucks of money you drive up to my house I don't want to do any more movies!" I would think Marvel would want to keep their options open.  That and hardly anyone in the comics stays dead anyway.

• Love 1