Type keyword(s) to search

The Great Food Truck Race - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Food Flight is definitely Dead Truck Rolling.    I'm not sure it's the lowest total ever (I think a team may have actually lost money once) but it has to be the worst in a major metro area and not Trynfindus, Wyoming or Moose Lick, Alaska. 

Salsa Queen is a loon.   As if all the loud, over the top teams wasn't bad enough, now we have to spend 1/3 of an episode watching 2/3 of a team play Where's Waldo with their other member.  Then when they find her she pouts in the bathroom like the girl in the annoying toilet paper commercial where the wimpy dad writes he's really, really, really, really sorry on an entire roll of Charmin and shoves it under the door to get his imperious brat to come out.   The other team members seem normal so I can't figure out why either of them are in this banshee's orbit, much less agreed to be on a competition show with her or in the guy's case married her.   

The Senoretas are starting to come off a little cocky.  Don't, ladies.  In case you haven't been paying attention the drag queens have already been picked to win.

Speaking of the drag queens, so Tyler gave them a bechamel recipe?  Which is used in every dish they serve and something that someone purporting to be a mac and cheese truck should know how to do themselves.  The favoritism is really obvious.   Where was the location help (complete with personal visit from Tyler) for Food Flight?

ESO seems to have the best food but Southern Pride seems to have the best truck management skills.  Unfortunately, neither are doing very well.   The totals seem really for California cities.  Only Senoretas had an amount that sounds on par with other seasons and even then just this week.   I think being in big food truck towns is actually hurting the show because at this point people have their favs and aren't going to shell out big bucks for amateur trucks shoving out sub par food just for the chance to be on camera for 3 seconds.

1 hour ago, Colorado David said:

Tyler flat out ignoring Salsa Queen's "no I don't want to."  ABSOLUTE SHUT DOWN. Love it.

I'm convinced the phone calls from Tyler are actually a phone call from "Tyler".   There's no way he's rattling that off to all the teams and dealing with their commentary back.   "Tyler" is most likely a producer, except the real Tyler might have had to step in and actually do it this week since the producer was still recovering from the shock of having one of the dancing monkeys going rouge and not being able to handcraft her meltdown.   I did have to laugh at their clever plan failing because you know they were dying for the drama of swapping those two trucks.  

• Like 3
  • Love 6

Did SQ have to be the one to switch trucks? Maybe Jim shoulda volunteered - I'm not sure SQ would have had issue with the woman Senoreatas was sending over (sorry I can't recall her name now.) 

Lol you are probably right Mav re a producer calling - Tyler probably just does the challenge commentaries and leaves the traffic calls to his team.

Food Flight needs to bump it up quality wise - haven't they done a 'toast' dish at least twice now?  Something fancy on toast is not a meal to me, it's more a side for something.

South Asian team is so CHILL compared to everybody else - quiet truck, no one yelling, calm prep. It's not dramatic but it's nice to see. The main talking guy sounds exactly like some actor I know, but I can't place it yet.

Seoul Sausage back next week, looks like judging. Yay, I really like those guys.

• Love 3

Nope, SalsaQueen wouldn't have to be the one that swaps; and usually wouldn't be the one to swap. The "Face"/Leader of the truck is rarely (if ever) the one that swaps, since they are the face of the team. 

It would probably have been Missy that swapped with Angellina (? I think?) had things worked as planned, though I doubt it would have made as much drama as the producers would have hoped; at least not on the Senoreatas side. 

• Like 1
  • Love 3
12 hours ago, LexieLily said:

Way too much time spent driving around Venice Beach looking for Salsa Queen after she jumped out of a moving car when told she had to swap trucks and work with Senoreatas; we barely saw the second day of the challenge. I wanted to know how Food Flight managed to make only $140. 

Really, I ended up feeling sorry for the non-Salsa-Queen team member that was pissed at her 'teammates' for forcing her to withdraw.

Bay-bee! I was traveling and happened to get to my destination in time to watch this episode live.  I was shocked to see SQ react that way to the challenge. Why did she think that she had to do the switch? Plus running off like that in a strange city, causing her husband to worry... I wanted Salsa Queen gone, but not like that!  The meltdown was clearly going to happen, since her husband talked about how SQ wasn't sleeping and doing well in this competition.  Time for the producers to consider psychiatric evaluations when casting for these types of shows.  I didn't think that TGFTR would be a meat grinder like Survivor, Amazing Race, or RuPaul's Drag Race type shows are.  

I definitely want to know how Food flight flamed out!  Seeing the other trucks work with new members was enlightening!  I felt for poor Gio in the fray with the Amaweles sisters.  I figured their truck would be utter chaos while putting out excellent food.  Emma had an awesome experience with SPAF.  I wonder if Grant got MCBWI to season the Mac & Cheese?

20 hours ago, Fostersmom said:

Both Señorita and Salsa Bitch need to tie back their hair. And for some reason, the other woman working with Salsa Bitch's hair is bugging me too. But that's probably a guilt by association thing. 

Pasta guy needs to learn to make a smaller batch of dough or use double yolk eggs or something. 60 eggs to get the yolks to make the pasta is just too time consuming on a food truck.

I wonder how ESO could cut that prep down to better serve their food out of the truck? I think that basic organization would help a lot of these teams with their prep times.

• Like 1
  • Love 3
(edited)
41 minutes ago, Colorado David said:

Did SQ have to be the one to switch trucks? Maybe Jim shoulda volunteered - I'm not sure SQ would have had issue with the woman Senoreatas was sending over (sorry I can't recall her name now.) 

Maybe?  Because all we heard on the show was that one team member had to switch.  We also know that Chelly (sp?) was coming over, and that Missy was sad not to work with her.  So that leaves Jim or SQ to do the switch, and work with the remaining Senoreatas.  Perhaps the producers were insistent it be SQ, and that’s what sent her running?  I can certainly see the idea of putting SQ and… “wig Senoreata(?)” in the same truck to be their ideal scenario.  Regardless, it’s a silly challenge on a silly game show.  And like I said before, if SQ can’t handle this, how will she deal with a real business conflict?  As is, her ego just cost her team, family, and personal brand a chance at winning, in one of the few seasons of this series where there doesn’t seem to be a prohibitive favorite (or two). Based on the weekly totals and rankings, it really feels like anybody’s game (not you, Food Flight).

Speaking of which, as interesting as it is to not have one or two teams steamroller the rest, I think Tyler (or whoever is in charge) needs to have a serious talk with casting. Out of (allegedly) a thousand applicants, for them to pick MCBWI, who need to be told how to cook their signature product, SQ, who literally fell apart over standard reality TV drama, and… whatever is going on with FF- the decisions they’ve made are really making the show look bad.  Honestly, for me that’s what’s behind the hand-holding for Cheese.  It’s not because they’re production picked winners- it’s because they are potentially  hurting the reputations of the show and Tyler Florence by association, with the garbage food they were serving.

Edited by Chyromaniac
  • Like 5
  • Useful 2
  • Love 4
(edited)
26 minutes ago, Chyromaniac said:

Speaking of which, as interesting as it is to not have one or two teams steamroller the rest, I think Tyler (or whoever is in charge) needs to have a serious talk with casting. Out of (allegedly) a thousand applicants, for them to pick a MCBWI, who need to be told how to cook their signature product, SQ, who literally fell apart over standard reality TV drama, and… whatever is going on with FF- the decisions they’ve made are really making the show look bad.  Honestly, for me that’s what’s behind the hand-holding for Cheese.  It’s not because they’re production picked winners- it’s because they are literally hurting the reputations of the show and Tyler Florence by association, with what the garbage food they were serving.

The audience member that said she was 'too high for this conversation' during the hemp challenge acted/sounded like she was fed lines to say about how good the Cheese mac 'n cheese was.

Honestly, three episodes in and it's like ESO, Southern Pride Asian Fusion and Amawale's are competing on an entirely separate show, one based on food quality and professionalism (mostly), and how seriously they are taking the show.

Edited by LexieLily
  • Like 6
  • Love 8

I see no reason why the other two members of Salsa Queen had to stop and look for Salsa (and yes, I know her husband is one of the other members of the truck).  She was like a toddler who had a tantrum and she got the extra attention for which she was looking.  Good-bye and good riddance.  I still don't understand why she seemingly hated the other truck.

Although it was chaotic, it looked like Gio had fun with the twins, and their team mate who went to the Southern Pride truck looked sooooo happy to be in a quiet and organized environment.  I thought the guy from the Flight Food truck was the lead for their team so was surprised he went to Mac and Cheese (and it looked like he couldn't believe the poor quality of their food and cooking).  I still think the Mac and Cheese truck is getting too much help and that it impacts the teams that could use help but aren't getting it in favor of the food truck.  And, although it doesn't affect the competition, I just want to tell Sugar to keep her hands on the wheel while driving (there were two separate scenes in which Sugar's hands were off of the wheel for extended times)!

I agree with the poster above who stated that the producers should have known about Drama Queen's personality issues.  I believe that they did but instead of passing over that team due to potential issues, they signed them up hoping for the issues to emerge and then purposefully attempted to exploit them.

I really think that successful food trucks see no benefit of being on this show so we get contestants who don't know how to cook (Mac and Cheese), organize and sell (Food Flight), or how to be civil to others (Salsa).

• Like 2
  • Love 8
36 minutes ago, seacliffsal said:

I agree with the poster above who stated that the producers should have known about Drama Queen's personality issues.  I believe that they did but instead of passing over that team due to potential issues, they signed them up hoping for the issues to emerge and then purposefully attempted to exploit them.

Probably so.  I suspect that scene with SQ's tiara lying in the street was staged by the producers for dramatic effect.  All those shots of the husband standing out in the middle of an empty beach looked staged too.  

Everything else I thought about this episode has already been said.

• Love 3
11 hours ago, Maverick said:

Then when they find her she pouts in the bathroom like the girl in the annoying toilet paper commercial where the wimpy dad writes he's really, really, really, really sorry on an entire roll of Charmin and shoves it under the door to get his imperious brat to come out. 

I’m glad to know I’m not the only one to loathe that commercial. My scenario was that he couldn’t go to the brat’s game because he had to work extra hours to pay for her sports fees, etc.

• Like 2
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
20 hours ago, seacliffsal said:

I really think that successful food trucks see no benefit of being on this show so we get contestants who don't know how to cook (Mac and Cheese), organize and sell (Food Flight), or how to be civil to others (Salsa).

Iirc, the show specifically stopped using existing food trucks in season 3(?) because at least some of them were too well established at running these types of businesses.  Basically, they were able to put out a Twitter blast, and their customers would just show up.  On one hand, no- it probably isn’t fair if one local truck can just produce customers out of thin air, while non-locals have to hustle whoever happens by (I think the results of the all star season bears this out too).  On the other, by turning to rookie truck operators, the show opens itself up to situations like with Cheese or Salsa.  To be fair, I don’t know if the show still has an actual ban on existing trucks, but I think they can still have a fun, interesting show with novices- they just need to stop picking teams without even a modicum of cooking and/or business talent. 

• Love 5

I guess the Salsa Bitch was so used to being deferred to by her husband and kids that she couldn’t face reality. The Señoreatas had no malice towards her. They were competing against her and the other teams. That’s all. Good riddance to her. 

• Applause 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 9

second many opinions. stop steering the show in what you think it needs to  be, let it flourish in what it is. don't manufacture drama, let it arise normally.  and stop pandering to demographics for the sake of social media, MY goodness that is so old you can read a show off the first few episodes if is it genuine, or is there a media agenda at work. i tune out on a show if it's pc marketing driven, I'm sure other viewers are savvy enough to see the same. the food market can outweigh the pc market, if you allow it. stop slanting.

• Love 5
(edited)

That was really weird. I feel really bad for Missy. Signing on for a reality show is a major commitment and the woman she considered a friend screws her in a temper tantrum. 

I thought it was interesting that the producers couldn't get SQ or her husband to at least do an exit talking head. They were done, done.

Edited by xaxat
  • Like 2
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4

I don't agree with Tyler that having the Senoritas be down a member was fair.  Yeah, keeping their team together would have been an advantage, but they basically got punished for another team's member being a little snot.  And I'm so glad they won in spite of it.

• Like 2
  • Applause 4
  • Love 8

Mental health is no laughing matter. I give SQ credit for not wanting her final meltdown filmed. But that probably violated their contract, so FN wasn't giving her any more screen time. Glad she's gone and hope she gets help.

Senorittas had another advantage since the SQ food truck, right next to them, wasn't open. People might have been attracted by the red truck and then had no choice but to buy from the blue truck.

• Useful 3
  • Love 1
37 minutes ago, lh25 said:

I don't agree with Tyler that having the Senoritas be down a member was fair.  Yeah, keeping their team together would have been an advantage, but they basically got punished for another team's member being a little snot.  And I'm so glad they won in spite of it.

I agree, I don't see how it was fair that Senoritas were down a staff member because Salsa Queen refused to be a good sport and participate. They should have just made one of the remaining SQ staff come work on the Senoritas truck while they looked for the SQ herself. It turned out they didn't need the extra help but what if it had been another truck that did need that help? 

• Love 7

Aside from bragging rights, I don't think there's any prizes for coming in first on a leg (other than the final leg). There's a bit of a psychological advantage in coming in first, both for the team and against the other teams; but practically speaking there isn't really a difference in 1st or 5th place on this leg. 

As I said earlier, the Seneoreatas already got the big advantage in the challenge before "Tyler" made the call; they had their normal threesome team doing the prepwork before opening which is both when you need the most hands, and when having to train a new pair of hands on your style is most disruptive.

But that said, I doubt she would have gone back into the Food Truck to help her team at that point without checking with Production off camera, so someone okayed that at that point. I suspect at that point SQ's may not have been DQed (Disqualified or DramaQueened; take your pick), but they would have been on mighty thin ice and probably facing penalties that would have knocked them to the bottom regardless. (Food Flight's unknown issues may actually have saved SQ at that point if SQ herself had pulled herself together and gotten back in)

By the time Tyler called and gave the "official" adjustment, the damages were all done and it was all just for the show. Likely at THAT point, SQs were probably officially DQed, so this leg was pretty much set; the placements wouldn't really matter aside from the practice all the teams would get in selling (and other advantages from the swap). 

• Like 1
  • Love 2

The Senoreatas also got a big boost from selling the most specials, even though they were tied with the South African gals.

Couldn't one of the EOS team, who always have their hair pulled back and covered with bandanas, take one over to Senoreatas and show them how to use it?  I'm not advocating hair nets, but the one woman is not hygenic.

• LOL 4
  • Love 7
On 6/20/2022 at 12:33 PM, Chyromaniac said:

Otherwise, I’m torn on whether or not the show itself bears any blame for this.  Just like Missy, they also should have known what SQ (the person) was like before casting her on this show.  And while I get that shows like this loooove drama, as I said after last week’s episode, the conflict with Senoreatas had already gone past “fun TV feud” into something that was genuinely uncomfortable to watch.  They should have known her emotional state from the casting process - so continuing to provoke her by pairing the two teams feels irresponsible.

Yeah, I agree with this. Salsa's reaction was WAAAAY over the top and massively unfair to her team, but having Senoreatas and Salsa Queen swap was 100% producer shenanigans to try to create drama, and I'm kind of glad it blew up in their face, even though I feel really bad for Missy

• Like 3
  • Applause 2
  • Love 8
On 6/22/2022 at 4:18 PM, Taeolas said:

As I said earlier, the Seneoreatas already got the big advantage in the challenge before "Tyler" made the call; they had their normal threesome team doing the prepwork before opening which is both when you need the most hands, and when having to train a new pair of hands on your style is most disruptive.

By the time Tyler called and gave the "official" adjustment, the damages were all done and it was all just for the show. Likely at THAT point, SQs were probably officially DQed, so this leg was pretty much set; the placements wouldn't really matter aside from the practice all the teams would get in selling (and other advantages from the swap). 

I don't disagree with anything you said, and the fact that the Senoreatas came in first smooths everything over and makes debate academic, but I still don't think it's fair on principle. Due to the editing, it's unclear how much time was actually lost, but Senoreatas sent a team member away and didn't get one back for at least some amount of time. Their team member returned and they did have her for at least some of prep, but they had to send her away again for the entire selling period. They were the only team that had to work with two members for any period of time.

The correct thing to do would have been for the producers to make Missy go to the Senoreatas truck (regardless of whether she was the one initially intended to swap - she didn't run off, she's not a spouse of a missing person, and she seemed still willing to listen to the producers), and I think she probably would have enjoyed that more too.

• Useful 2
  • Love 5

I just came on here to say I'm officially rooting against Senoreatas. They are beyond annoying. ESO is allowed to come by with free samples. If people take the chicken, they aren't into plant based.

And we all know Grant did not give a sincere apology. Anyone remember Food Flight's relationships?

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 13
(edited)

Tyler was definitely not happy with Southern Pride Asian Fusion making mac and cheese in their bento box, probably because they made it better than Maybe Cheese Born With It. Hee. 

Southern Pride Asian Fusion lost a few points with me on Day 2 when I saw their order board. The word nachos doesn't have an apostrophe in it.

Edited by LexieLily
  • Like 1
  • LOL 6
  • Love 6
25 minutes ago, Grizzly said:

And we all know Grant did not give a sincere apology. Anyone remember Food Flight's relationships?

Not only did Grant give a not-sincere apology but the woman he was apologizing to (I don't know her name) said "It's okay" in the way everyone says it's okay when it's not and you're going to hold it against them and quietly resent them. But Tyler was proud of himself for 'fixing' the problem and left them to their own devices after that.

Show of hands who believes Tyler is wandering down the streets and randomly finds these teams to 'talk' to them.

• Wink 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2

It’s incredible — and annoying — to me how much the Mac & Cheese lead person says “I” rather than “we”.  So disrespectful to the other 2 teammates.  (I don’t know everyone’s names)

Food Flight was put out of its misery.  Senoreatas are beyond annoying.

• Like 7
  • Love 14
(edited)
22 hours ago, roseslg said:

Senoreatas can go anytime now. They don't own any spots. They are hella entitled.

Also, they should realise that multiple trucks are actually an advantage because it means people can choose different things.  (Food truck pods are very popular where I live.)

Edited by Leeds
Add trucks in the first sentence
  • Like 2
  • Useful 2
  • Love 7

I realized early on tonight that I'm completely hate-watching this show at this point.  As others have said, Senoreatas are nothing more than garden variety entitled high school bitches.  The way they got their noses bent out of shape over ESO parking near them made me think that the editing monkeys left their contributions to the Salsa Queen conflict on the editing room floor.  The sooner they're gone, the better.

Same with Maybe Cheese.  Or, well, Sugar.  You might not be ready to go back to Ohio, Sugar, but we are.  Any day now, show, please.

Show editing monkeys telegraphed Food Flight's exit the way some figure skaters stalk their jump entrances.  What a passive-aggressive meltdown that was.  They were boring until now and I have no idea what their cuisine is, so it's no big loss.  Cannon fodder that should have been gone a few weeks ago and would have had it not been for Salsa Queen's meltdown last week.

Next week's preview...  Just watch us lose Amawele (one of the two teams I'm rooting for, along with Southern Pride) instead of either Senoreatas or Maybe Cheese due to equipment issues.

• Like 1
  • Love 11
(edited)

Food Flight was the dead truck running; they weren't very good at selling their food and Grant's ego was so ridiculously big that it forced his teammates out of the truck altogether. The show should have shown us the nice/nasty interactions between them long before this!

ESO finally got the clue and is outsourcing the pasta. It's cool to make your own pasta, but homie was taking too much time to prep for sales.

How ridiculous that MCBWI cribbed Tyler's recipe to make their Mac & Cheese taste better. I like Sugar, but they can go.

The Senoreatas are annoying as well.  They shouldn't have felt threatened by ESO handing out samples in front of them.  They are only getting the folks who aren't into plant based food.  As a poster said above, anyone who eats chicken is not going for plant based food.  Speaking of ESO, since when was Tyler Florence a fried chicken savant? 

I'm cool with SPAF winning this week.  I like Gio, and their boxed meal looked really good! 

Food Flight goes home and not a moment too soon. They should have sent them home last week for making only $140 in sales.  I want to know what happened! I would rather have seen their drama than Salsa Queen going rogue. 

Edited by Stardancer Supreme
  • Like 3
  • Love 9
11 hours ago, MerBearHou said:

It’s incredible — and annoying — to me how much the Mac & Cheese lead person says “I” rather than “we”.  So disrespectful to the other 2 teammates.  (I don’t know everyone’s names)

I finally cracked it!! Houston (Southern Pride Asian lead guy) sounds exactly like comedian Geoff Tate, if you know who the heck that is.

Evanice (Senoreatas), is the hair black or black with blue highlights??? and second what people here have said - you don't get to dictate who is near you. in earlier episodes you were walking around offering YOUR food in front of other trucks, so if it happens to YOU, you can't whine about it. plant customers won't take the chicken, so why are you worried? if nothing else, you might convert chicken people to be plant customers if they try yours.

stop twerking against people!!! AUGH my eyes, i don't want twerking around my food prep. it might not be a health issue, but it seems not chef appropriate behavior. am i wrong?

Sugar does say 'I' so much, I noticed it this time after all the comments previous. she did say 'we' a few times that i counted, and at least one of the other chefs got actual speaking time on camera.

Food flight meltdown!!! I can get that. It's already stressy working on the truck, add on the equipment issues, and you're not doing well in the competition. It's going to boil up into an argument and bickering. (And don't mind that you are gone now.) I do like Tyler's democratic skills, he seems genuine (could be a total act but I am buying it.)

ESO, yes, please do the premade pasta. We admire you wanna do your own pasta, but it is a time killer during prep. Don't give up tho, your food looked amazing.

Apparently Tyler's restaurant is famous for fried chicken, I didn't know that. I guess that makes him an 'authority'?? 

Amewala pretty quiet this week, nothing to add here other than yay on your $200 win.

• Like 2
  • Love 4

Food Flight had zero personality and wearing their goofy printed shirts wasn't adding any. I still never figured out what their truck actually served. Their bento box also looked the least appetizing. 

The bento boxes that looked the most appealing to me were SPAF, ESO Pasta, Amaweles and Senoreatas. The Mac and Cheese truck looked disgusting. For a truck that specializes in m&C not sure why I would eat a piece of raw salmon wrapped around goat cheese from them or a quail egg. Was the quail egg just a hard boiled egg? Looked completely unappetizing. I wish the judges would have also tasted the food in the bento boxes instead of just judging appearance. Selling the most boxes doesn't mean it was the best tasting box. 

I am still rooting for the pasta truck as their food looks the best and I'm glad they caught on to using pre-made pasta and serving it with a good sauce. I hope they last long enough but I don't expect them to win. 

• Like 6
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, Stardancer Supreme said:

Speaking of ESO, since when was Tyler Florence a fried chicken savant? 

I've had it at his restaurant in downtown San Francisco.  He is.

ESO finally gets a clue.  Bye bye Food Flight.  The Seneoritas aren't all bad - just the main gal.  But she makes up for the rest of them.

• Useful 2
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, GiandujaPie said:

Was the quail egg just a hard boiled egg?

Yeah, WTF was up with that? It's also kind of weird that, while the other teams have a unifying themes behind their food (regional, plant based, Michelin inspired pasta etc.) MCBWI seems to be totally random beyond their mac entrees.

I thought we might have another DQ when they started doing talking heads with only the women of Food Flight. I wonder how much production/Tyler had to cajole them into continuing so the show wouldn't have consecutive withdrawals. 

Were there any withdrawals during the Alaska season? That was some serious stress. Pandemic, thousands of miles from home, weather that wants to kill you...

It's been a while since I've had vegan cheese. Have they gotten better? A vegan quesadilla doesn't sound that appetizing to me, not because it's vegan, but because the vegan cheeses I've had don't melt well.

I really wish that ESO had the personality and energy to match their cooking skills. Self promotion is a big part of the game and they trail the remaining teams.

• Love 8

The vegan quesadilla- was it just cream cheese and guava jelly on a tortilla? Was it even warm? Didn’t look or sound appetizing. 

I don’t mind the senoritas. Their food looks good usually. I don’t even really see the attitude people are complaining about. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
42 minutes ago, Maya said:

The vegan quesadilla- was it just cream cheese and guava jelly on a tortilla? Was it even warm? Didn’t look or sound appetizing. 

I don’t mind the senoritas. Their food looks good usually. I don’t even really see the attitude people are complaining about. 

They consistently do well because if you are vegetarian (or vegan) this is the only truck that seems to market themselves as meatless. I notice that the pasta truck's pasta dishes are usually meatless though I don't know if they play that up. To me, that is important because if you do eat meat, you have so many more options whereas if you don't, you will only go to the Senoritas truck. 

Their food usually looks and sounds good too. That quesadilla they made with the vegan cream cheese and guava jelly sounded like it should be good but it didn't look appetizing. I think they could have made it look better. 

• Love 4

I thought I was watching The Great Food Truck Race but apparently I tuned in to The Snowflake Tour instead.

As an aside, 70% of the reason I watched this show for seasons now is to hear them shout 'Food truck road trip!' in the beginning. I am beyond disappointed that it seems to have gone away. I miss that. So the other 30% of my reason for watching is the food trucks and the people. So this season kinda sucks for me. 

Food Flight needed to go. I have no idea what they were serving there but they couldn't sell it effectively whatever it was. Even their final meltdown lacked any energy. I hated Salsa but at least she went out with a bang. A stupid selfish bang, but it was noticeable. I get the impression that if Food Flight simply failed to show up it would take a while for anyone to notice they were gone.

I love ESO. Their box looked amazing. So sad for them that they didn't win it. Amawele (?) won and deserved it but I am so rooting for ESO. They too are very low energy so I'm not sure they have the sales talent to make it work for them and actually win. I'm rooting for them though.

Sugar and her truck are terrible. Cheap looking sparkly clothes and no real talent for making good food. Stealing Tyler's recipe because her own sucked so bad people were throwing her food away. Sugar is all about presentation and flash and lacks actual talent to back it up. And she does say 'I' all the time. I honestly don't hate her teammates (how could I, she takes up all the oxygen wherever she is and they fade away behind her) and wish them well. Sugar can go any time. And a big 'No' to the twerking against Sugar (or anyone else) in the food truck. I need brain bleach to unsee that. Tyler seems to fall all over himself to help them and that irritates me. It's a competition and this truck is getting a hand because they are so bad at the food part of the deal.  It just seems like they make whatever crap they can, paste a cutesie name on it, and get the cash. Once the customers taste it and don't like it they have the money and it's too late. And they don't need repeat business because it's on to the next town. In the first or second episode Sugar was outright lying to people about how long it would take to get their food. She said she got their money so it didn't matter if it took a lot longer than she told them. It's a good street hustle but I'm not watching this show to see people do street hustling on that level.

This season unusual. It's a lot more trucks to start with and they are barely traveling at all. From Redondo to Manhattan? I grew up right there and spent almost my entire life there. I could and did easily walk from Redondo pier to Manhattan pier all the time. I spent my life on those beaches. Seriously, where are they going next? Santa Monica?  It's just weird.

• Like 1
  • Love 13
(edited)

Hey, Grant! "I'm sorry you felt I was yelling at you" is not an apology. 

I can't stand the cutesy names Sugar comes up with. I would never order food if I had to order by cutesy names. Reminds me of IHOP and their "rooty tooty fresh and fruity" commercials.

edited because spell check messed with "rooty tooty"

Edited by tinkerbell
  • Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, tinkerbell said:

Hey, Grant! "I'm sorry you felt I was yelling at you" is not an apology. 

I can’t take credit for this, but love the term “onomotapology”. It makes the noises of an apology, but isn’t one. 

• LOL 6

goes right along with "i'm sorry you feel that way, that's not what I intended". ok this admits i was wrong in how i presented it to you, but the first half shifts the blame of that misunderstanding on YOU. so this is definitely not a sincere apology. and that is one of the worst things to me, an insincere apology, ESP when it comes to couples.

sorry to get off track Mods, just touched a nerve.

• Love 5
7 hours ago, Andyourlittledog2 said:

As an aside, 70% of the reason I watched this show for seasons now is to hear them shout 'Food truck road trip!' in the beginning. I am beyond disappointed that it seems to have gone away.

Yes!!!  That was one of my favorite things too.  I'm glad I'm not the only one who has missed it.

• Like 1
  • Love 5
17 hours ago, Andyourlittledog2 said:

It just seems like they make whatever crap they can, paste a cutesie name on it, and get the cash.

I agree.  I'm so over the cutesie names.  And their cheap, ill-fitting clothes.  This really should be about the food first and foremost, and as others have pointed out, they had to use one of Tyler's recipes for the base of all their food.

I was wondering about the exchange where a customer asked if the Senoreata's food was vegan, and she replied that it was plant-based.  Is that the same thing?

• Like 2
  • Love 2
8 minutes ago, lh25 said:

a customer asked if the Senoreata's food was vegan, and she replied that it was plant-based.  Is that the same thing?

Vegan uses no animal products whatsoever. Plant-based means that's the main focus, but it could include cheese, chicken stock, even a bit of meat, depending on the dish.

• Useful 5
  • Love 2

I am so over Sugar.  I just cringed when she tried to sell a box to a man who wasn't interested and as he walked away she totally mocked him behind his back.  Sugar has shown a temper in a previous episode and with this interaction I just don't like her.  If one can't treat people who don't want one's service/food/help respectfully, then get off my t.v. (oh, and get off my lawn as well...).  I feel the same about the Food Flight guy who went on and on about his expertise and that his teammates should not question him/have their own opinions about his decisions.  Yep, those same decision making skills that led them to earn only $140 last week and last place this week.  Look, on these types of competitive shows, all team members have taken time away from jobs/families, so one person's sacrifice/commitment to the contest is not greater than another's.  Perhaps he and Salsa and/or Sugar should have teamed together.

I really thought Eso was going to win the best looking bento box.  Just glad that they are still there.  I wish there were other locales this season than just beaches-all the episodes feel really repetitive.  At least during the southern season there were various backgrounds/locales that the trucks visited.  Although Alaska was cold, there were various points of interest.  This season it just seems like 'hey, this week we're at the beach' and it's exactly like the week before.

• Like 5
  • Applause 3
  • Love 9

I grew up in Venice Beach and now have lived in Redondo Beach for many years. There was a lot of location shenanigans in the last show. On the most recent episode only had the talking heads & team recaps/totals on the Redondo pier. All the food truck sales took place in Venice Beach. I recognized all the locations/streets the last two episodes took place at. Wonder why they faked the location as being in Redondo? Maybe they couldn't get permits or permissions to sell in Redondo? If anyone knows let US know.

PS I'm glad Salsa Queen left but felt sorry for Missy. Class act there.

PPS It's not a good idea to let someone from out of town wander the streets of Venice alone. Too dangerous. 

• Mind Blown 1
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 3
  • Love 1
(edited)

If they really need a beach they could go to Lake Tahoe. Scenery there is gorgeous!!

eta: I am not even watching this season, just reading comments here. Kind of glad to miss this season...

Edited by Gramto6
added on to post
  • Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
17 minutes ago, LoreliLee said:

I grew up in Venice Beach and now have lived in Redondo Beach for many years. There was a lot of location shenanigans in the last show. On the most recent episode only had the talking heads & team recaps/totals on the Redondo pier. All the food truck sales took place in Venice Beach. I recognized all the locations/streets the last two episodes took place at. Wonder why they faked the location as being in Redondo? Maybe they couldn't get permits or permissions to sell in Redondo? If anyone knows let US know.

I missed that. I thought it looked a little crowded as far as businesses were concerned. Now I'll have to go back and take a look. It did seem odd to me that there was enough parking and business for all those food trucks in the small amount of shopping district etc that Redondo has down there. It's mostly houses and condos and apartments.  Whereas Venice has loads of business territory at the beach. I'll have to rewatch that and see what you saw. I got caught up in the shenanigans with people and didn't even notice the switching in my own home town. Bad viewer!!

• Wink 1

one thing missing from this season is the teams buying food.  TYler gave them a challenge, and they just happen to have all the ingredients they need to make a completely new dish.  Maybe they're not shopping themselves, maybe a tv crew is providing the groceries, but I wish they would show how the teams are getting their supplies. 

• Like 9
  • Love 2