Type keyword(s) to search

S12.E11: The Paintball Scattering

Verizon has been having a dispute with CBS, so, CBS has been off the air here for days.   I turned this on to see if the dispute was over and there were so many ads that I thought CBS was still off the air.  I was about to switch channels when this came on for a few minutes.  By then I 'd pretty much lost interest.  Way too many ads, too little show.

• Love 3

Given the long history of women’s contributions being marginalized and their collaborations not highlighted in the sciences I wish they had at least acknowledged that in the Sheldon/Amy storyline even with an off handed joke.

• Love 11

Having Amy be the "face" of the super-asymmetry research was the least Sheldon and Siebert could do after reassigning her neuroscience project without consulting her. But of course, there's no pleasing Sheldon. He doesn't actually want to do the interviews, but he also doesn't want Amy to get more attention than him.

Doesn't Stuart live at Howard's and Bernadette's for free? I thought the real reason he didn't want to move in with Denise was that he can't afford to pay rent and doesn't want her to know how little money he's making.

• Love 14

Stuart's shop seems to be doing quite well (there are always customers around and he can afford to hire), it's about time he stops being an Alan Harper to Howard and Bernadette.

Sheldon all of a sudden not wanting to hog all the attention felt OOC but I guess the writers felt Amy deserved a bit of spotlight too after having been forced to abandon her research. So we were left with a bit of a 'meh' plot. I wonder if there will be a follow-up.

I want Raj and Anuh to work but I'm okay with them realizing that they need more time to get to know each other.

Edited by MissLucas
  • Love 8
7 hours ago, biakbiak said:

Given the long history of women’s contributions being marginalized and their collaborations not highlighted in the sciences I wish they had at least acknowledged that in the Sheldon/Amy storyline even with an off handed joke.

Maybe they thought giving Amy the headline of "The Neurobiologist Who Revolutionized Physics" covered it, but, yeah, more of a tiara than a Nobel.

Stuart's welts (not bruises!) made him look like a victim of battered partner syndrome to me.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, LadyKenobi said:

How much actual airtime was the show, like 17 minutes? At this point they’re more like webisodes. 

I had actually forgotten about that “Amy gets her project taken away” ep because it was so unrealistic. I was surprised Sheldon hadn’t memorized an answer to the “work of the other scientist” question to spit out. That didn’t seem like him.

Are you guessing or is that reall?  Me and the DH could not believe the amount of commercials last night. Disgraceful.

Oh and this episode was funnier when King of Queens did it. 

• Love 4
4 hours ago, LadyKenobi said:

I was surprised Sheldon hadn’t memorized an answer to the “work of the other scientist” question to spit out. That didn’t seem like him.

I was thinking that the work actually WAS derivative of the scientist in question, but Sheldon can't come to terms with the idea.  We all know he doesn't like to share credit.

I was sorry to see Raj and Anu's relationship take a bump.  I didn't think Raj was being a "creepy stalker" for having that app on his phone, I just thought he installed it so he wanted to make sure it was working correctly.  

I thought Stuart's main issue was that he didn't want to leave his cushy arrangement living at Howard and Bernadette's, not so much that he wanted to hide from Denise how little money he was making (like chocolatine suggested).  He probably realizes that once he leaves, it might be a problem reinserting himself there if necessary.

There was a lot going on in this episode, considering this is the last season.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Stuart's welts (not bruises!) made him look like a victim of battered partner syndrome to me.

God, this. I am deeply not a fan of reverse standard female-on-male violence. If Stuart had done that to Denise he would have been arrested.

• Love 11

How much actual airtime was the show, like 17 minutes? At this point they’re more like webisodes. 

It's been that way with this show for years. I don't know how anyone can watch it live. I always make sure to record it so I can FF thru the interminable commercial breaks.

Do you really get welts that big from getting hit with a paintball? Why would anyone do it then?

It's weird how Leonard and Penny are virtually supporting characters anymore. Sheldon is always the A story and even Raj is getting more material than Leonard these days.

• Love 5
10 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

It's been that way with this show for years. I don't know how anyone can watch it live. I always make sure to record it so I can FF thru the interminable commercial breaks.

Do you really get welts that big from getting hit with a paintball? Why would anyone do it then?

It's weird how Leonard and Penny are virtually supporting characters anymore. Sheldon is always the A story and even Raj is getting more material than Leonard these days.

You do when you put the paintballs in the freezer for a short time. (Heard from a friend).

• Love 4
1 hour ago, kariyaki said:

I thought Stuart HAD moved out. When did he move back in?

Didn't he move back in after Bernadette had the first baby?  Because he was basically being their nanny?  I'm thinking it was around the same time Raj decided to give up his apartment; he couldn't move in with Howard and Bernadette because Stuart was living there.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 4

Speaking of Howard & Bernadette....they might as well have stayed home. I think they had maybe 3 lines apiece in this episode. I know that there were 3 "couples" storylines going on (Stuart & Denise, Sheldon & Amy, Raj & Anu), but still.

• Love 1

I hadn't realized just how much of a "meh" feeling the general cast of this show has been giving me (especially Sheldon) until the moment I felt myself perk up at the appearance of Anu in her first scene with Raj (when they were sitting on the bench talking about the cheese-eating raccoon). I just like her energy, and it could be just because it's actually something new for the show which has revolved way too much around Sheldon of late, but her chemistry with Raj is great and I love their dynamic.

I did enjoy that Amy was getting more credit (at least the headline) for their shared research since it's good karma for Sheldon who got all the credit for Leonard's idea in the scientific article a number of seasons ago. And what was even more clear was that Amy had given him lots of credit in the actual interview. In Sheldon's case he had not made clear to his interviewer that it was Leonard's idea, who was later identified as Sheldon's "team" in the article.

A perfect ending would be for every one of the scientists on the show to end up with Nobel Prizes - with the exception of Sheldon. So Amy, Raj, Leonard, Bernadette, Howard are all lauded and Sheldon is not. Because really what he's mostly proved about his genius is that he's good at figuring out the math of other people's ideas and any idea or discovery he's had or thought he had on his own has proven out to be wrong or non-existent. I'm not saying being a genius who can figure out the math is nothing and many/most scientists have false starts, hopeless research, etc, but he's been such an ongoing jerk about how he's just so much smarter than everyone else, this is the only ending that would make me happy. Oh and Raj and Anu should be together.

Edited by Pop Tart
  • Love 14
7 hours ago, LadyKenobi said:

How much actual airtime was the show, like 17 minutes?

The local On Demand generally lists the episodes at 19 minutes without ads, so 17 sounds about right after you subtract the opening and closing credits.

• Love 2
14 hours ago, biakbiak said:

I though Siebert was going to say something like that, but it really was Anybody But Sheldon. (Of course, that's a pretty good reason on its own!)

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Bronzedog said:

My thoughts about all the ads was it's a good thing that this is the last season because apparently there's no story left to tell.

I think Jim made the right decision, though I don't like how it was handled if the reports are indeed true.

I think this show used the last of its creative juices back in Season 10 and with the change in living arrangements, this season hs been so flat.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, TV Diva Queen said:

Are you guessing or is that reall?  Me and the DH could not believe the amount of commercials last night. Disgraceful.

Oh and this episode was funnier when King of Queens did it. 

I timed an episode last year & without ads it was 18 minutes, so I wouldn't be surprised at all if it's now 17 minutes. The way the salaries are, not even counting production costs, I'm sure they are losing money on the 1st run.

I can't believe all these guys have commitment issues ( mainly Raj) after all this time ! It's really sad. When Leonard and Howard are the mature ones, you know it's really bad ! I suppose we can give Stuart a break, as this is his first real relationship with a girl, but come on-- he's wanted one for years & now he has it. Give thanks & go for it !

• Love 3

I really like the little throwaway scenes between Bernadette and Howard that show the affection they have towards one another....and how she’s just as hot for him as he’s always been for her. It’s sweet and a good counterbalance to the mean streak Bernie has.

• Love 20
52 minutes ago, willco said:

I suppose we can give Stuart a break, as this is his first real relationship with a girl, but come on-- he's wanted one for years & now he has it.

Stuart hasn't had much luck with the ladies, so I can understand his fears when it comes to a relationship.  With his experience, it's probably difficult for him to believe that somebody really does care, and that's sad.  Hopefully things will work out for him.  As far as the bruises with paintball, well, some of them did get carried away with it, but I took it with a grain of salt.  He bruises easily.  I'm not surprised.  My arms looked like that when an outpatient nurse couldn't get an I.V. started after 4 tries.  Seriously, both arms looked like I had defensive wounds.  

I love the faces that Mayim makes when she's around Jim.  For instance, the last scene with them both sitting for an interview, she knows that the interviewer just hit a nerve with Sheldon, and the look on her face as she sits there quietly hoping that he doesn't blow a gasket is hilarious to me.  

• Love 12
3 hours ago, Pop Tart said:

I hadn't realized just how much of a "meh" feeling the general cast of this show has been giving me (especially Sheldon) until the moment I felt myself perk up at the appearance of Anu in her first scene with Raj (when they were sitting on the bench talking about the cheese-eating raccoon). I just like her energy, and it could be just because it's actually something new for the show which has revolved way too much around Sheldon of late,

You're right.  Since Leonard and Penny have settled into marriage, there really hasn't been anything for them to do.  Most of the focus has been on Sheldon and Amy.

15 minutes ago, ChitChat said:

As far as the bruises with paintball, well, some of them did get carried away with it, but I took it with a grain of salt.  He bruises easily.  I'm not surprised. 

Yeah, Stuart isn't exactly the picture of health.

• Love 4

Man, the writers must really hate Kunal Nayyar to keep having Raj go out with people then throwing a wrench.  Even Stuart has a semi decent relationship at this point.

I thought the fact that Anu didn't tell Raj that she was inviting her ex over to exchange stuff was a bit insensitive since they are engaged.  She could have mentioned it before the guy came over.  If Raj did the same thing, I am sure she would be a bit peeved.

• Love 7

You're right.  Since Leonard and Penny have settled into marriage, there really hasn't been anything for them to do.  Most of the focus has been on Sheldon and Amy.

I suspect that has less to do with the fact that Leonard and Penny are married and more to do with the network's investment in Young Sheldon. Sheldon has been the primary focus of the show ever since the spin-off launched. Sheldon and Amy are married too, after all, and that doesn't stop them from being the A plot every week. I just wonder how Johnny Galecki and Kaley Cuoco feel about taking a backseat all the time. Are they happy to collect their weekly paycheck or do they harbor some resentment about their lack of material?

• Love 6
5 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I just wonder how Johnny Galecki and Kaley Cuoco feel about taking a backseat all the time. Are they happy to collect their weekly paycheck or do they harbor some resentment about their lack of material?

Considering that they both bank nearly $1,000,000 for each episode, I'd think that they would be pretty happy if they had to perform standing on their heads.

• Love 13
2 hours ago, UncleChuck said:
8 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I just wonder how Johnny Galecki and Kaley Cuoco feel about taking a backseat all the time. Are they happy to collect their weekly paycheck or do they harbor some resentment about their lack of material?

Considering that they both bank nearly $1,000,000 for each episode, I'd think that they would be pretty happy if they had to perform standing on their heads.

I would think they might feel guilty. But I'm one of those worker bees who was recently shocked to learn that a lot of people think "working from home" is a euphemism for lounging around.

• Love 2
On 1/4/2019 at 5:34 AM, MissLucas said:

Stuart's shop seems to be doing quite well (there are always customers around and he can afford to hire), it's about time he stops being an Alan Harper to Howard and Bernadette.

The issue is that there is a conflict between what the writers put in the script about how terrible business is and how Stuart isn't making money and what the set designers, directors, etc. put on screen with all the extras in the background, top notch merchandise, etc. I guess you can always fanwank it by saying that rent is high and he has too much money locked up in merchandise and no cash flow...

11 hours ago, iMonrey said:

5 hours ago, UncleChuck said:

I would think they might feel guilty. But I'm one of those worker bees who was recently shocked to learn that a lot of people think "working from home" is a euphemism for lounging around.

I suspect that they are probably a little bored, but happy to take the money and know that it's better for their careers after the show to be team players instead of being selfish and insisting on more material. They may even be happier given that the show has been better since it stopped focusing on their relationship so much even after the writers ran out of ideas. I really doubt they feel guilty and they shouldn't given that they played a huge role in turning the show into a money printing machine and there are a lot of people out there who have done a lot less collecting big checks based on their work.

• Love 7
14 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I suspect that has less to do with the fact that Leonard and Penny are married and more to do with the network's investment in Young Sheldon. Sheldon has been the primary focus of the show ever since the spin-off launched. Sheldon and Amy are married too, after all, and that doesn't stop them from being the A plot every week. 

There's a difference between the two couples though.  With Leonard and Penny, the conflict was would they be able to get together, specifically would Leonard be able to land Penny (who could date about any good looking guy she wanted).  Now that they're married, there isn't really any storyline there.  With Sheldon and Amy, the conflict is more with Sheldon adapting to intimacy.  There was a question about how far Amy could bring Sheldon, but there was never any question of him going after someone else.

Aside from bringing in a child, there's no story for Leonard and Penny, without bringing in the unpleasantness of infidelity or the like.  And a child would be boring, besides they've already done that with Howard and Bernadette.  They could do something with Penny's career, but that wouldn't involve Leonard, other than maybe having him being insecure about it (which is just old territory).

• Love 3
3 hours ago, wknt3 said:

I suspect that they are probably a little bored, but happy to take the money and know that it's better for their careers after the show to be team players instead of being selfish and insisting on more material. They may even be happier given that the show has been better since it stopped focusing on their relationship so much even after the writers ran out of ideas. I really doubt they feel guilty and they shouldn't given that they played a huge role in turning the show into a money printing machine and there are a lot of people out there who have done a lot less collecting big checks based on their work.

Also, this show is basically their retirement plan. After this is done, they're not likely to find something else that'll ever be this lucrative, so the profits from this need to be able to sustain them for the rest of their lives. I wouldn't feel guilty, I'd take what I could get and be happy. Most actors don't ever find something like this.

• Love 10
1 hour ago, msrachelj said:

this series can't end soon enough. everyone needs to go away except mayim who needs her own sitcom. 

If I had to pick just one to star in a new sitcom, it would be Simon Helberg.

19 hours ago, LoneHaranguer said:
On 1/4/2019 at 6:04 AM, LadyKenobi said:

How much actual airtime was the show, like 17 minutes?

The local On Demand generally lists the episodes at 19 minutes without ads, so 17 sounds about right after you subtract the opening and closing credits.

23 hours ago, TV Diva Queen said:

Due to a poor CBS signal when the weather is windy or rainy, I often resort to watching by less than legitimate means. I could watch it legitimately the next day or week, but doing it the other way allays my annoyance at CBS corporate's choice to skimp on the free, over-the-air signal.
Kids, don't try this at home! </end shapeshifter's PSA>
So, I can see the minute marks in the video margins.
Just removing the opening and closing credit sequences, each episode (without commercials) is 17 minutes. It would be at least another half minute shorter if one subtracts the animated atom graphic that separates the scenes and, live, comes after the commercial.

IMO, the writers and editors should get Emmys just for being able to consistently produce a relatively high quality product in that time format with such a large cast.

• Love 6
22 minutes ago, rmontro said:

They could do something with Penny's career, but that wouldn't involve Leonard, other than maybe having him being insecure about it (which is just old territory).

Seriously old! Leonard's only storyline in this ep was him being insecure about Penny again some more. 

I like that the characters have grown and gotten married; I probably wouldn't be watching if they were pushing 40 and still just hanging out with each other every day. But those changes don't preclude scenes with Penny and Sheldon interacting, or Penny and Amy, or Raj and Howard. It seems like the writers believe all stories must now revolve around the marriages, which can be tiresome.

• Love 5

Aside from bringing in a child, there's no story for Leonard and Penny, without bringing in the unpleasantness of infidelity or the like.  And a child would be boring, besides they've already done that with Howard and Bernadette.  They could do something with Penny's career, but that wouldn't involve Leonard, other than maybe having him being insecure about it (which is just old territory).

That sounds like an excuse the writers would give because they don't really care and they've lost interest. There's plenty of material they could come up with for Penny and Leonard if they put their minds to it without resorting to tired cliches and retreading old ground. There's plenty to do with both their families - we've never even met Leonard's siblings in all these years, for instance. There's stuff they could do with both their careers - we never see Leonard working on anything anymore and we never really see Penny working either. I just don't think the writers are interested in Leonard and Penny. It's all Sheldon, all the time, because he's the easiest to write for because he's so absurd. 

• Love 8
On 1/3/2019 at 9:40 PM, Pepper the Cat said:

I enjoyed this episode. It was fun.

i like Stuart and Denise, they make a cute couple,

Raj and Anu just need to slow things down but I do like them as a couple.

amy was hilarious! 

I liked seeing the different relationships and I always enjoy the Amy and Sheldon banter. 

On 1/4/2019 at 12:10 AM, Yeah No said:

I hope Raj and Anu cancel the wedding plans and only reschedule them after they date and fall in love, preferably before the series ends, of course.

I like that idea too.

• Love 3

I was musing about this issue this morning (because I have no life) and came to the same conclusion. He and Bialik are the ones I would really like to see in a new sitcom. Either on their own or preferably together since Howard and Amy were always wonderful together which I think is mostly due to Helberg and Bialik playing off each other so well.

• Love 11
1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

There's plenty to do with both their families - we've never even met Leonard's siblings in all these years, for instance.

I was thinking about this too.  It'll be disappointing to me when the show ends and there were people mentioned all through the years that we didn't get to see.  I know they can't make an episode revolving around all of those people, but I'd love to see Leonard's siblings.  Also, there was an episode in which we saw Sheldon talking (either via computer or phone) to some people about some personal matters.  Aside from that brief moment, we never found out who they were or how long they knew Sheldon.  I can't remember which episode it was, but I think it was a throw away scene at the end of one episode.  I'd be interested in knowing what the story behind Howard's Dad leaving him was.  There was the episode in which Sheldon found the letter from his Dad, but Howard chose not to read the letter.  They all came up with different scenarios to explain him leaving, so I'd like to know which of those stories was true.  

As much as I like this show, the stories have pretty much gone stale.  I have enjoyed the Asymmetry storyline though.  It's good to see them working on something that might just get Sheldon the recognition he craves, and to showcase the brilliance of Amy too! I agree with all of the positive comments about Simon Helberg.  He is a very talented young man.  I have always loved his impressions, especially during the Dungeons and Dragons games. 

Edited by ChitChat
  • Love 5
4 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Despite what the award totals say, I think he, not Parsons, is the best comedic actor in the cast. 

It seems like the main cast members have inhabited their characters for so long now that they're pretty much on autopilot. I don't want to say they're phoning it in except maybe I do. 

• Love 13
5 minutes ago, 2727 said:

Despite what the award totals say, I think he, not Parsons, is the best comedic actor in the cast.

I agree about Helberg. His “I ate a butterfly” may be my favorite moment of the whole show.

I’d also love to see Melissa Rauch in a new show. This show has been wasting her comedic skills for years to turn her into a bully. 

15 minutes ago, 2727 said:

It seems like the main cast members have inhabited their characters for so long now that they're pretty much on autopilot. I don't want to say they're phoning it in except maybe I do. 

I wonder if that is a result of the writers phoning it in. Raj is the only one being given anything new this season. 

1 hour ago, MissLucas said:

I was musing about this issue this morning (because I have no life) and came to the same conclusion. He and Bialik are the ones I would really like to see in a new sitcom. Either on their own or preferably together since Howard and Amy were always wonderful together which I think is mostly due to Helberg and Bialik playing off each other so well.

They could travel the world go to see Neil Diamond cover bands.

• Love 14
2 hours ago, MissLucas said:

20 minutes ago, Reality police said:

They could travel the world go to see Neil Diamond cover bands.

Oh, man! You beat me to it. :-) 

• Love 2