Type keyword(s) to search

The GCEh?C: Canadian Episodes (Spoilers for Non-Canadians)

• Start Topic

In all of the great performances, and the way the story was handled, I cannot believe I forgot the thing that enraged me the  most (other than Phyllis trying to make her reunion about her poor pathetic life, and Malcolm didn't seem that interested, so that was good): Cane!

You pathetic writers!  Lily is too distraught to speak. Of course that is okay.  But while they are trying to get her to speak, she turns around to Cane (who thankfully is not sitting in her row), and she and Devon encourage him to speak.  He says, no, Neil would not want that, and Lily says, he loved you too.  And then that piece of shit gets up to speak and makes it all about how he was a loser and Neil accepted him anyways.  At least, that is what I heard. I imagine he said something about how Neil taught him about parenting.

Ugh!  There were so many people who should have spoken before Cane.  Drinki, for one.  Even Ash.  Victoria.  They had Jack and Pricktor as the friends who spoke.

• Love 19
2 hours ago, bannana said:

In all of the great performances, and the way the story was handled, I cannot believe I forgot the thing that enraged me the  most (other than Phyllis trying to make her reunion about her poor pathetic life, and Malcolm didn't seem that interested, so that was good): Cane!

You pathetic writers!  Lily is too distraught to speak. Of course that is okay.  But while they are trying to get her to speak, she turns around to Cane (who thankfully is not sitting in her row), and she and Devon encourage him to speak.  He says, no, Neil would not want that, and Lily says, he loved you too.  And then that piece of shit gets up to speak and makes it all about how he was a loser and Neil accepted him anyways.  At least, that is what I heard. I imagine he said something about how Neil taught him about parenting.

Ugh!  There were so many people who should have spoken before Cane.  Drinki, for one.  Even Ash.  Victoria.  They had Jack and Pricktor as the friends who 

Yes! Cane did not belong up there!

The other thing that pissed me off  was Tracey telling Lily to  forgive Cane. Totally unnecessary to include that in this memorial.

• Useful 1
  • Love 18

I don't know. It just seem like they made sure that the actors who worked the most with Neil's character got to give a speech. So his kids, his friends, special guest brother. So I was not surprised that Cane was up there or have a problem with it. 

• Love 6
8 minutes ago, nilyank said:

I don't know. It just seem like they made sure that the actors who worked the most with Neil's character got to give a speech. So his kids, his friends, special guest brother. So I was not surprised that Cane was up there or have a problem with it. 

I can't hate anyone today. Not even Phyllis.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

I can't hate anyone today. Not even Phyllis.

You're a far better woman than I, Gunga Din.

Even allowing for the fact that I can't stand either the character or the actor, Cane's appearance rang false to me. And see Ninja's post in "Getting to Genoa" for a great statement of my overall response to his appearance and self-centred words.

• Love 6

Today's episode was at Devon's PH, and was casual with everyone visiting and remembering Neil.  Not everyone was there (no Lesley, no Moses, most thankfully no Phyllis), but they definitely acknowledge Sofia and she had some scenes with Malcolm and with Ash (did Sofia and Ash compete over Neil?).  Later, there is a scene between Malcolm and Ash and they promise to meet in Paris. 😮

We had some nice flashbacks, especially with Malcolm and Neil, Neil and Lily, Neil and Devon, Neil and Prick, Neil and Jack.

Though Lily, Sharon and Drinki talked about Dru and acknowledged that he never got over her, we didn't get any flashbacks of her.  And there was a bit of a mention of Hilary, and her photo was there.  Maybe we will get some Dru and Hil flashbacks tomorrow when the actresses are there to talk about KSJ.

It wasn't clear to me what Malcolm actually does that he is so busy he hasn't seen his family in years.  Isn't he a fashion photographer?  He must get vacations.  I realize Shemar Moore isn't going to come on the show, but they could have talked about seeing him abroad.  And isn't Lily his bio-daughter?  Even though the two of them had good scenes together, I would have expected some sort of hint that she might be spending more time with him.  She finally tells Cane she is leaving.  It would have been a nice touch to have her go off to spend time with Malcolm as her support system while she struggles through putting her life back together.

CK continues to knock it out of the park in her scenes.

The PH now has a hallway.  What is it with all of these hallway sets?  We see Prick in the hallway getting an important message.  Later he takes Drinki to his office and tells her has to leave town and he cannot tell her what it is about, but that she should trust him.

At the halfway bumper they included an old one that had Neil in it from many years ago.

At the end, CK and BJ announce that they will be a doing a special tribute episode to KSJ.

• Useful 1
  • Love 10

Nikki telling Lily that she and her family will always have a friend in her. 😪

All of these flashbacks are lovely and well-chosen.

Other observations:

1. The Nu-Nate is actually pretty good. He’s blending in with the vets like he’s always been there.
  2. Tracy advocating for Cane to get back with Lily is so many shades of wrong.
  3. Ashley is fabulous. I love her. 
  • Love 11
5 hours ago, bannana said:

Though Lily, Sharon and Drinki talked about Dru and acknowledged that he never got over her, we didn't get any flashbacks of her. 

I assume that's because of all the bullshit that VR threw at CBS over the years. I would think if they air any clips with her in them, then they have to pay her and I'm guessing the top brass has said NO to that.

• Love 4

Malcolm was sooo good looking when he was younger. I'm sorry, but I'm not feeling SM's big bald head and weird facial hair. He's just not attractive to me anymore and that makes me sad. 

• Love 4
46 minutes ago, crowsworks said:

nuNate - as the camera swept over him  - For a second looked like Neil/KSJ.

I agree, I had that same momentary thought.  He did resemble Neil.

Plus, I am so happy oldNate is gone.  His delivery was so sanctimonious, judgemental and just truly annoying.  NuNate manages to delivers those lines and not be an asshole.  He has been thrown into the deep end with this huge storyline and he is still handling it well.

• Love 10
11 hours ago, bannana said:

It wasn't clear to me what Malcolm actually does that he is so busy he hasn't seen his family in years.  Isn't he a fashion photographer? 

In his last incarnation, wasn't he a National Geographic type photographer when he left?

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

The tribute show today was well done.  There were some aspects that I didn't understand (like why showcase the little fling that Neil and Ash had just recently?), but that is just me being nitpicky.

The format was good.  It included KSJ himself from interviews he had done probably on an anniversary show.  It also included him welcoming viewers to the tribute, you will have to see it, but it worked.  

They had the actors on a variety of sets to reminisce about KSJ and they included a lot of clips.

VR was with BJ, CK, DG and MM in Devon's PH.  I think she was the first one to speak and she had comments sprinkled throughout.  Just an observation, but it seems clear to me that BJ and VR have a bond, just the way they were interacting.  CK was professional.  SM was also at the PH but not with VR.

Other sets included the Abbott Mansion, with PB, ED, JW, BM, JT and MA, plus MM so she was in two groupings.  Maybe someone else I just don't recall.  JW spoke a lot considering we barely see her these days.  ED and MM were very emotional.  MA spoke and it was nice to have her included.

At CL it was JM, SC and CG, and separate from them, LLB and DD.  Lauralee was very emotional as well.

The Newmans were together in Prick's office, MTS, AH and EB.

I really enjoyed the flashbacks, because some of Neil's years I was not viewing.  I loved the ones of Dru and Neil.

They did a segment with outtakes and goofball moments that was pretty great.

They put a lot of effort into this, it really showed, and I think most fans would be happy.

• Love 20

I’ve been watching since ‘76 and remember Neil first coming on. So handsome! Such great s/ls back then  

This was a very well done episode and it’s obvious that the actors have been deeply affected. I sniffed and cried quite a bit myself. 

• Love 9

VR, SM, CK and BJ were on The Talk today.  It was also a nice tribute and was very personal.  CK talked about KSJ being like a father to her, and that she doesn't have much of a relationship with her actual dad.  She started to talk about KSJ being at her wedding and she got emotional and couldn't carry on.  She was choked up.  Bryton gave credit to VR for pushing for the foster care story which is how the character of Devon came to be.

It was really nice to see them all together.  

• Love 17

I was touched by everyone’s remembrances of Neil/Kristoff. I thought that every thing they all remembered and said about Neil was actually said about KSJ. My heart broke the hardest for Devon. He was so strong, being the man of the family now and trying to hold everyone else together.  I held it together until he signed “I love you” to the photograph of KSJ. For some reason that I can’t put my finger on exactly, Shemar seemed a bit off to me. I know they were close friends in real life and he attributes his success in large part to KSJ’s mentor ship. I guess it was just me. I am so glad that this show has shown the love, appreciation and gratitude to Kristoff that he so richly deserved. Goodbye, dear friend. You were loved by us all. 

• Love 14
4 minutes ago, Gam2 said:

I was touched by everyone’s remembrances of Neil/Kristoff. I thought that every thing they all remembered and said about Neil was actually said about KSJ. My heart broke the hardest for Devon. He was so strong, being the man of the family now and trying to hold everyone else together.  I held it together until he signed “I love you” to the photograph of KSJ. For some reason that I can’t put my finger on exactly, Shemar seemed a bit off to me. I know they were close friends in real life and he attributes his success in large part to KSJ’s mentor ship. I guess it was just me. I am so glad that this show has shown the love, appreciation and gratitude to Kristoff that he so richly deserved. Goodbye, dear friend. You were loved by us all. 

I swear, it's the beard. It just doesn't fit him.

• Love 5

I loved it when Marla Adams mentioned that KSJ ad-libbed when, instead of the scripted handshake, Neil took and kissed the back of Mme Mergeron's hand on the plane when they met. It was a perfect touch that should have been in the script, but KSJ decided to do what Neil would have done.

They also showed a couple of out-takes, like Kevin, Devon & Lily talking about something Lily's father wouldn't like when Neil walks in and KSJ ad-libs again. You can see Kevin laughing.  Also the take and re-take of Kneel & Hillary's wedding vows.  If Y&R has all this extra footage, why don't they ever have a bloopers show?

Edited by deirdra
  • Love 17
22 hours ago, gingerella said:

I assume that's because of all the bullshit that VR threw at CBS over the years. I would think if they air any clips with her in them, then they have to pay her and I'm guessing the top brass has said NO to that.

There were some great clips of Dru & Neil on the 4/26 Canadian show.  They made a great couple.

• Love 10

One thing I didn't realize is that CK and BJ are best friends.  I believe he is godfather to her child.  And CK talked about how KSJ was a father to her.  This has to be devastating for both of them.  I give extra kudos to CK for her scenes, knowing this her father figure and mentor.  Her choking up on the Talk, she said she thought she was done crying.  Really sad for all of them 😢

• Love 15

Less than a minute into US Monday’s tribute to Kristoff and the tears are falling. It was kind of the actors to share their experiences and emotions regarding him, they didn’t have to do that, I know it’s very personal and painful. Since his death this tribute plus the hundreds of stories online and social media of people he knew and met even at coffee shops prove how kind he was and how much people want to show that to the world. 

@bannana I had known Bryton/Devon and CK/Lily were close in rl and he was her sons godfather and actively involved in his extracurriculars/intermurals and their holidays a while. It seemed funny since the actor Bryton seems pretty laid back and chill and CK I think is a bit more brittle, the actress who played Hilary said in a diplomatic way CK was curt and kinda iced her out for damn near a year then they become good friends after she got pregnant and she elicited her advice. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 8

I’ve basically been crying every time I tune into Y&R. I really don’t have much to add that hasn’t already been said and I’m quite emotionally drained, but I will miss Kristoff and Neil forever. I was raised on soap operas, and probably (and hilariously) learned a lot of life lessons from these shows as a kid. But most of all I grew up with these people. It’s hard to put into words what that means. And, honestly, only soap fans understand the connection we have  to this genre and these characters. It’s something the average TV/movie fanatic can never quite grasp.

• LOL 1
  • Love 17

I watched all the Neil’s death episodes one after the other and I’m a sobbing mess. The KSJ tribute episode was more a celebration of his life, but damn.

Damn life for giving so much pain to such a beautiful man. The text that DD read, through his tears, about his friend said so much. It was also nice to see a laughter scene with Jeanne Cooper.

I watched Y&R diligently for decades before abandoning it and Neil was such a special character. You just expected him to always be there.

• Love 5
13 hours ago, HeatLifer said:

I’ve basically been crying every time I tune into Y&R. I really don’t have much to add that hasn’t already been said and I’m quite emotionally drained, but I will miss Kristoff and Neil forever. I was raised on soap operas, and probably (and hilariously) learned a lot of life lessons from these shows as a kid. But most of all I grew up with these people. It’s hard to put into words what that means. And, honestly, only soap fans understand the connection we have  to this genre and these characters. It’s something the average TV/movie fanatic can never quite grasp.

Exactly!

My throat hurts from crying (watched all the epis last night). Show did good. That was beautifully done. Every bit of it. 

I can’t really even comment because it felt so personal but two moments killed me:

The projection of KSJ and Devon/BJ saying “why’d you have to go and do that, man?”

And CK/Lily’s sobbing “he should have had more time on this earth.”

I’m so grateful to all of them, writers, cast, crew, for doing that for us. The ratings and media attention will be good and all but this week was for us, the soap viewers who are bereaved by the sudden loss of this too young man who’s been in our lives for years, and I am genuinely moved.

Edited by miamama
  • Love 17
22 minutes ago, miamama said:

Exactly!

My throat hurts from crying (watched all the epis last night). Show did good. That was beautifully done. Every bit of it. 

I can’t really even comment because it felt so personal but two moments killed me:

The projection of KSJ and Devon/BJ saying “why’d you have to go and do that, man?”

And CK/Lily’s sobbing “he should have had more time on this earth.”

I’m so grateful to all of them, writers, cast, crew, for doing that for us. The ratings and media attention will be good and all but this week for us, the soap viewers who are bereaved by the sudden loss of this too young man who’s been in our lives for years, and I am genuinely moved.

Oh god, now you've got me crying again. 😢

• Love 4

I've been deeply moved by the show this week. The quality of the writing, along with the performances (if one can rightly call them that) have been stellar. CK was heartbreaking to watch, and everyone else equally moving. It was truly like a week of mourning for a friend, who has been in in my life for nearly three decades who was prematurely and unexpectedly taken.

I've been wracking my brain trying to figure out why Y&R didn't have a tribute week when Jeanne Cooper died. That was a travesty, IMO. I'll never understand that. But given the era within which that happened, I suppose it's little wonder, really. That happened well after Josh Griffith had left the JFP fiasco. I don't know who was writing, whether it was Pratt or that interim with Passanante, but it couldn't have been clearer how little regard JFP had for any of the vets she didn't have a hand in dropping into that show like turds in a punchbowl.

Edited by Toomuchsoap
  • Love 5

Katherine didn't really need a week her impact is still felt on the show though. With Chancellor Park etc.

I'd be surprised if we see the Winters etc again after this. I mean do you expect them to be on the frontburner after Monday? 

• Love 2
On 4/25/2019 at 1:44 AM, bannana said:

There were so many people who should have spoken before Cane.  Drinki, for one.  Even Ash.  Victoria.  They had Jack and Pricktor as the friends who spoke.

You know, that really does touch on how entirely male-oriented and male centered this show has become. The last woman with clear agency in her life was Katherine Chancellor. It's a mixed blessing that Jeanne Cooper died when she did, before JFP could go forward with that dementia story. 

I mean, were Victor and Neil ever that close? I never got the sense that they were, other than being business partners and Neil being his right hand man. 

Still, it was nice to see the whole cast for one event with minimal swiping and no one got an inpromptu wedding at the end of the service so I can't complain. 

Next week is back to business as usual..... 

• Love 6
18 hours ago, CanaryFan98 said:

Katherine didn't really need a week her impact is still felt on the show though. With Chancellor Park etc.

That's a good point. The most direct influences being the wealth she left Devon and the agency he finally got as a character as a result. People still discuss her and she was still driving stories for a long while after her passing...like that music box thing, which was stupid but still. 

Unfortunately, Neil for all his decades on the show didn't carry quite that role Kay did, partly for being a relatively newer addition and partly because so many of his key pivotal moments were with actors whose characters and/or actors are no longer on the show. I'd say more about certain CBS policies and politics, but that discourse is best saved for a different day. 

18 hours ago, CanaryFan98 said:

I'd be surprised if we see the Winters etc again after this. I mean do you expect them to be on the frontburner after Monday? 

I know CK is leaving the show but everyone else is staying put. Devon has grown on me. It's taken nearly 2 decades, but I feel like hell be fine. Hell, he might actually flourish without Lily yapping at him for one reason or another. The twins are still the only teens on the show. Cane is the one I wouldn't miss one but maybe without being one half of a supercouple, perhaps his days will be numbered, too. 

But frontrunner? Not gonna lie, but Dru was the fire of the Winters clan and its never been the same since she died. That's no fault of anyone else but between Lane, Neil dating every black woman of child bearing age and Devon just being there, I had a "meh" reaction at best, and a black legacy family deserves better than that. 

Edited by Anna Yolei
  • Love 9
5 hours ago, Anna Yolei said:

I mean, were Victor and Neil ever that close? I never got the sense that they were, other than being business partners and Neil being his right hand man. 

Neil was over giving Victor pep talks not too long ago but that was probably more a reflection of poor writing and not knowing what to do with Neil. But it is true that he was one of the few business people Victor didn’t plot against or vice versa.

However that eulogy felt much more as though it were EB addressing his relationship with KSJ. Jack’s was much more in character. But that makes sense. EB is basically Victor; and PB is the professional.

But for me it meant EB’s speech was more emotional (ie got to me more). A lot of reel/real blurring in these episodes.

• Love 9
7 hours ago, Anna Yolei said:

Dru was the fire of the Winters clan and its never been the same since she died. That's no fault of anyone else but between Lane, Neil dating every black woman of child bearing age and Devon just being there, I had a "meh" reaction at best, and a black legacy family deserves better than that. 

That's entirely the fault of the writers, but more importantly, it obviously was the decision of the several showrunners (and CBS?) that relegated them to the "Winters Wednesday" sidelines. I think MAB - at first - tried several versions of Neil and the family, but nothing ever really stuck. I always really loved Neil, and I tolerated Dru. Neil was so polished and cool and Dru was a true mess when she was first on (not Mia-level mess). They were such total opposites that I always thought Olivia was a better match, but VR's appeal for the viewers made that a non-starter. (I know I'm in a teeny minority of opinion about Dru, but I'll concede that the show hasn't been the same without her being there to drive a storyline and antagonize Phyllis).

At any rate, the show decided to move away from telling realistic and compelling storylines to ratings-driven sensational and OTT situations that did no one any good, and it really slammed hard into the Winters family. It was one ugly situation followed by another one over the past six years or so that diminished Neil's character.

• Love 3

Dummer keeps on about how she was used for body parts, and, yes, Kyle is a dirtbag for what he did, but Dummer went into the marriage with eyes wide open.  She is acting like he conned her.

Dummer tells Lola today that if she had it to do over, she probably wouldn't, meaning donating her liver.  Ouch.  

I cannot wait for GT to be gone because she has made Phyllis more unwatchable than even MS and that is saying a lot.

• Love 14
3 minutes ago, bannana said:

cannot wait for GT to be gone because she has made Phyllis more unwatchable than even MS and that is saying a lot.

Word. Someone pls inform us when her last episode will air. 

• Love 6
12 minutes ago, bannana said:

Dummer tells Lola today that if she had it to do over, she probably wouldn't, meaning donating her liver.  Ouch.  

dummer doesn't have an altruistic bone in her body...if it doesn't benefit her, no effin deal.

hmm, sounds like her mom 

• Love 12
3 minutes ago, deirdra said:

Why was GT staring intently at Dummer's shoulder while talking to her about how, if you feel you need to convince someone to love you, it is too late. Good advice.

cue cards?

Edited by valleycliffe
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 4

That’s actually become GT’s go to acting tic. She stares at someone’s chest and then quickly glances up at their eyes. Makes me nuts. There’s an actress on GH who does the same thing- Tamara Braun. Who in the real world does that?!

• Love 5

I truly appreciated today’s show with all of the loving remembrances of Kristoff. He deserved every kind word said about him and I’m sure his ex-wife and daughters loved hearing how admired and loved he was.

As much as I hate to move on from this, did I miss the show when they discovered and talked about the mysterious guy behind the wall at Victor’s house? If that happened in our house, we’d be kind of interested in finding out who the hell it was, how he got in, why he got in and how we could capture him to put him in jail. Just me?

• Useful 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, bannana said:

Dummer keeps on about how she was used for body parts, and, yes, Kyle is a dirtbag for what he did, but Dummer went into the marriage with eyes wide open.  

I really have zero sympathy for her for being this level of desperate and stupid.i mean, damn. I watch B&B do there's a baseline I can tolerate, but sheesh.

Scrolling through comments, I see Lola is  supposedly on her way out, so I assume this marriage of convenience will turn out to be true luv after all. Gag me. 🙄

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Gam2 said:

I truly appreciated today’s show with all of the loving remembrances of Kristoff. He deserved every kind word said about him and I’m sure his ex-wife and daughters loved hearing how admired and loved he was.

As much as I hate to move on from this, did I miss the show when they discovered and talked about the mysterious guy behind the wall at Victor’s house? If that happened in our house, we’d be kind of interested in finding out who the hell it was, how he got in, why he got in and how we could capture him to put him in jail. Just me?

They know it was JT. 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Anna Yolei said:

I really have zero sympathy for her for being this level of desperate and stupid.i mean, damn. I watch B&B do there's a baseline I can tolerate, but sheesh.

Scrolling through comments, I see Lola is  supposedly on her way out, so I assume this marriage of convenience will turn out to be true luv after all. Gag me. 🙄

Mia is leaving, not Lola, as far as I know.

• Love 5
5 hours ago, bannana said:

Dummer keeps on about how she was used for body parts, and, yes, Kyle is a dirtbag for what he did, but Dummer went into the marriage with eyes wide open.  She is acting like he conned her.

I cannot wait for GT to be gone because she has made Phyllis more unwatchable than even MS and that is saying a lot.

Yeah Summer has certainly taken on the victim role. I do think Kyle faking loving her and shagging her a couple of times was unnecessary. Summer told him she understood he needed time to get over Lola. And as I saw it she was prepared to accept no sex or declarations of love as long as she got her one year of marital fidelity. So she can call him out for the faking and fucking and feeding her delusions of their eternal love. But she absolutely used her liver as leverage so it was a dirty game she put in motion. She is no innocent victim.

I’m already bored though. Is Summer going to be the Patty-esque angst for Kola? 

Sigh. It’s so one note. Woman goes crazy for asshole who is lovey dovey with another woman. I hope this will shape up in a way I don’t expect. 

Edited by miamama
  • Useful 1
  • Love 12