Type keyword(s) to search

In The Media: DWTS

• Start Topic

On 9/9/2020 at 3:38 PM, 853fisher said:

This isn't to my taste.  I prefer something more classic.  This makes me think of the carnival ride that spins until everyone is stuck to the walls by centrifugal force, and then the floor drops away.

image.png.d2291af71e088a074ab5db4ed40c0bb4.png

Perfect metaphor for 2020, I'd say.

• LOL 5

The ratings are in and the ratings are up!

https://deadline.com/2020/09/dancing-with-the-stars-tv-ratings-season-premiere-1234577065/

This is good news for me because ultimately I don't want the show to be cancelled because of a mistake. I liked Tom and Erin, but not enough to want the show to tank and be cancelled because ultimately I watch for the dancing, celebs and certain pros. No doubt the DWTS execs will want to keep Carol Baskin on for a few weeks more because I'm sure she had an impact.

• Love 4

Yeah, those numbers don't surprise me. For one thing, there's not a whole lot else on right now, which helps, but more importantly, I think a lot of people, despite all the insistence on how they totally weren't going to watch and so on, were still ultimately curious about how the show would go on, both with Tyra as host and in the midst of a pandemic (and with people like Baskin among the contestants to boot). 

Whether those numbers stay high or not, who knows, but yeah, sheer curiosity will often override people's personal frustrations with a show :p. And even those that stop watching a show regularly, if it's one they've followed for years, they're still going to pop their heads in every now and again just to see how things are going. 

• Love 6

Next week's song and dances:

https://www.wdtvpress.com/abc/shows/dancing-with-the-stars/episodes/first-elimination-1/

(LOL at the catty song. I also read on twitter where Tyra has a smizing skit with the contestants. Uh no skits. More dancing please.)

head coach Monica Aldama (“CHEER”) and pro Val Chmerkovskiy dancing the Jive to “Shake It Off” by Taylor Swift

animal activist Carole Baskin (“Tiger King”) and pro Pasha Pashkov dancing the Viennese Waltz to “What’s New Pussycat” by Tom Jones

Kaitlyn Bristowe (“The Bachelor,” “The Bachelorette”) and pro Artem Chigvintsev dancing the Foxtrot to “I Hope You Dance” by Lee Ann Womack

Super Bowl Champion Vernon Davis and pro Peta Murgatroyd dancing the Foxtrot to “We Found Love!” by Rihanna and Calvin Harris

TV and film actress Anne Heche and Keo Motsepe dancing the Foxtrot to “Counting Stars” by One Republic

Disney Channel actress Skai Jackson and pro Alan Bersten dancing the Samba to “Miss Independent” by Neyo

actress Justina Machado (“One Day at a Time”) and pro Sasha Farber dancing the Rumba to “When You Believe” by Whitney Houston and Mariah Carey

Backstreet Boys singer AJ McLean and pro Cheryl Burke dancing the Foxtrot to “Ain’t That a Kick in the Head” by Dean Martin

Emmy® Award-winning host of “The Real” and sideline correspondent on “Holey Moley,” Jeannie Mai and pro Brandon Armstrong dancing the Cha Cha to “Roses” by SAINt JHN

TV and film actor Jesse Metcalfe and pro Sharna Burgess dancing the Foxtrot to “Dreams” by Fleetwood Mac

GRAMMY®-winning rapper Nelly and pro Daniella Karagach dancing the Cha Cha to “Let’s Grove” by Earth, Wind & Fire

TV host Nev Schulman (“Catfish”) and pro Jenna Johnson dancing the Cha Cha to “Dynamite” by BTS

NBA superstar Charles Oakley (“The Last Dance”) and pro Emma Slater dancing the Cha Cha to “Never. Too Much” by Luther Vandross

actress Chrishell Stause (“Selling Sunset”) and pro Gleb Savchenko dancing the Rumba to “This is Me” by Keala Settle & “The Greatest Showman” ensemble

Olympic figure skater and on-air commentator Johnny Weir and pro Britt Stewart dancing the Tango to “Poker Face” by Lady Gaga

• Useful 2

As many people that chose not to watch this season, the show gain more fans because of the changes. I mean think about it. I think sometimes people do not realize people leave for changes and people arrive for changes and that is the pattern here. 

• Love 3

Im personally happy about the high ratings purely because of the racist venom some of the fandom had for changes made. I will say again Tom should have been fired but I love that the  people in the racist fandom are eating crow. Some of the comments were just awful and very racist so im not mad it all for the ratings.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Annber03 said:

Whether those numbers stay high or not, who knows, but yeah, sheer curiosity will often override people's personal frustrations with a show :p. And even those that stop watching a show regularly, if it's one they've followed for years, they're still going to pop their heads in every now and again just to see how things are going. 

Yep, that’s me.  I was curious to see how the show was going to look during the pandemic, and I also wanted to see Johnny Weir.  I don’t care about Tyra either way.  She was about what I expected, which was not a total disaster but not great.  In any case, she is no Tom.  Still not planning to watch and probably wouldn’t have even if Tom were still here because I lost my enjoyment of this show and its producer interference long ago.  I do think Derek was a good choice as a judge though. 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, vdw84 said:

Im personally happy about the high ratings purely because of the racist venom some of the fandom had for changes made. I will say again Tom should have been fired but I love that the  people in the racist fandom are eating crow. Some of the comments were just awful and very racist so im not mad it all for the ratings.

Did you mean Tom should not have been fired? 

I totally get what you're saying about Tyra/ratings/racism. I've heard about the racism on SM, and it is so disgusting. Tyra doesn't deserve hate. If a dream job opened up, and she decided to go for it, who can blame her? Tom shouldn't have been fired, and Tyra will never be Tom. But she is a gorgeous, successful, intelligent, hardworking woman and deserves respect. I know all the people being hateful probably wish they had half of what she has going for her. Shame on them. 

• Love 8

Yeah, I liked Tom, too, but the fact remains that as of now, he's not here, and Tyra is. People don't have to like this change, nor do they have to keep watching, but there's really not much else we can do about it beyond that, so at some point everyone will just need to accept and deal with it.

I'd also add that anyone who's watched this show for any length of time knows that it thrives on controversy, so frankly, the people who are making a big fuss online are just helping the show more than hurting it at this point. Criticism and complaints are still attention and publicity of some kind for the show, and will keep people tuning in just to see what the fuss is all about. If those who don't like these changes really want to make an impact and send a message, it'd probably be better if they just didn't talk about the show at all. Just quietly stop watching and talking about it, period. If the show ever were to stop getting any kind of attention, be it positive or negative, and the ratings reflected the complete lack of interest, then maybe the higher ups might actually start to care and be concerned (or they may just ultimately end the show altogether, one of the two). 

• Useful 3
4 hours ago, vdw84 said:

As many people that chose not to watch this season, the show gain more fans because of the changes. I mean think about it. I think sometimes people do not realize people leave for changes and people arrive for changes and that is the pattern here. 

I think a lot of people tuned in out of curiosity......we will see if the numbers stay up or not

• Useful 4
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, sue450 said:

I think a lot of people tuned in out of curiosity......we will see if the numbers stay up or not

I think they will. This is pretty stacked cast that alot people know and people are looking for something more positive to watch other what is going on in the world today and this is an escape, so I think the ratings will either go up or stay the same but I think this ratings are going to be fine this season. So much for the boycotts.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

Did you mean Tom should not have been fired? 

I totally get what you're saying about Tyra/ratings/racism. I've heard about the racism on SM, and it is so disgusting. Tyra doesn't deserve hate. If a dream job opened up, and she decided to go for it, who can blame her? Tom shouldn't have been fired, and Tyra will never be Tom. But she is a gorgeous, successful, intelligent, hardworking woman and deserves respect. I know all the people being hateful probably wish they had half of what she has going for her. Shame on them. 

Yes, it was typo. I meant Tom shouldnt have been fired and stand by that. I just didnt appreciate the racism that has been spewed by the fandom and that is why im supporting Tyra this season not because I feel like the was the right choice for the hosting job because I dont and Tom should not have been fired or her but Im supporting her because I dont support racism, so for that I want her to succeed and I agree she will never be Tom and I dont expect her to be but that doesnt mean I want her to fail to make the racists happy.

• Love 4
1 minute ago, vdw84 said:

Yes, it was typo. I meant Tom shouldnt have been fired and stand by that. I just didnt appreciate the racism that has been spewed by the fandom and that is why im supporting Tyra this season not because I feel like the was the right choice for the hosting job because I dont and Tom should not have been fired or her but Im supporting her because I dont support racism, so for that I want her to succeed and I agree she will never be Tom and I dont expect her to be but that doesnt mean I want her to fail to make the racists happy.

I totally understand. I think Tom’s firing was absurd, but I detest the racism. I’m torn between showing loyalty to Tom and supporting Tyra. I’m so tired of racists complaining about the NBA, other sports, and now DWTS. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, RealHousewife said:

I totally understand. I think Tom’s firing was absurd, but I detest the racism. I’m torn between showing loyalty to Tom and supporting Tyra. I’m so tired of racists complaining about the NBA, other sports, and now DWTS. 

I get where ur coming from. Im perfectly fine with people not caring for Tyra and thinking she is too much but my issue is dont spew ur racism. That has been my biggest issue with this whole mess and im over it, im going to support her while still being angry on the show did Tom.

• Love 4
11 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

DWTS has had plenty of racists on the show. I'm not surprised a good chunk of their audience is racist.

I do feel bad for Tyra. She isn't Tom, but she wasn't really that bad and doesn't deserve the hate. I don't see why people aren't complaining about the rumored rapists and murderers on the cast instead.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, boyznkatz said:

DWTS has had plenty of racists on the show. I'm not surprised a good chunk of their audience is racist.

I do feel bad for Tyra. She isn't Tom, but she wasn't really that bad and doesn't deserve the hate. I don't see why people aren't complaining about the rumored rapists and murderers on the cast instead.

I dont think people truly knew how racist the fandom was until this season. I always knew but I know some clearly didnt or were in denial but they know now.

• Love 3
36 minutes ago, vdw84 said:

I dont think people truly knew how racist the fandom was until this season. I always knew but I know some clearly didnt or were in denial but they know now.

How could they not know? Paula Deen was on the show. I'm sure they put her on to appeal to someone.

• Love 4
51 minutes ago, boyznkatz said:

How could they not know? Paula Deen was on the show. I'm sure they put her on to appeal to someone.

They put her on because she was controversial and dwts loves to have people talking.

• Love 3
15 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

Yep.  I had this dilemma as well.  But for me, the cast sucks so that made it an easy choice. But I did forget to cancel my series recording until about half way through the episode so that might have counted!  lol  I admire Tyra while knowing that she is not perfect.  But I watched this show mainly for Tom and some of the dancers and now that's pretty much gone.  

• Love 6

So our favorite criminals Nelly and Carole are getting millions of views for their dances on social media. Look for them to be around a looong time.

Probably someone more deserving to stay like Justina will be out early.

Hey at least we get to see Pasha's fine ass for a while, so that is some consolation.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, boyznkatz said:

So our favorite criminals Nelly and Carole are getting millions of views for their dances on social media. Look for them to be around a looong time.

Probably someone more deserving to stay like Justina will be out early.

Hey at least we get to see Pasha's fine ass for a while, so that is some consolation.

I dont think alot of people know about Nelly's allegations atleast not the gp or main fandom of dwts and I wouldnt worry about Carol's views, most of those views are watching to make fun of her. She is not going to get votes, noone likes her.

• Love 1

Has the show even tried to explain the COVID-rules? They don't make much sense to me, to be honest. We've got the social distancing at the extended judges panel desk, no audience or celebrequarium or group dances or pro numbers, the couples are standing six apart from Tyra post-dance when they get their scores, and each dancer got their own bubble/square to hang out in when watching the other dances. But the pros and their celeb are, obviously, up close and personal during the dancing.

Cheryl mentioned in an article that the DWTS pros that are married to each other (Pasha/Daniella, Sasha/Emma, and Val/Jenna) can't live together, but all the other pros can live in their homes. Peta can go home to Maks, Cheryl can go to her husband, etc. I don't understand the reasoning. Is DWTS springing for three hotel rooms for one person from each married couple? Say Jenna is eliminated the first week and Val sticks around until the semifinals, is Jenna stuck in a hotel room for two or three months or can she go home?

• Love 2

I see Monica's costar on Cheer has been arrested for child exploitation. Monica isnt a fav of mind this season but I would hate for someone to lose votes based on what their costar chose to do but I can see this scandal effecting her to an agree and to think people were wanting Jerry Harris to the show this season, it def. was not meant to be.

19 minutes ago, vdw84 said:

I see Monica's costar on Cheer has been arrested for child exploitation. Monica isnt a fav of mind this season but I would hate for someone to lose votes based on what their costar chose to do but I can see this scandal effecting her to an agree and to think people were wanting Jerry Harris to the show this season, it def. was not meant to be.

I saw that as well. I don't really know who she is and I don't watch that show, but she definitely has potential. It's too bad this happened.

21 minutes ago, boyznkatz said:

I saw that as well. I don't really know who she is and I don't watch that show, but she definitely has potential. It's too bad this happened.

I never watched the show either but its a popular show amongst many. I know alot people that watch the show on Netflix but I never have.

I could be wrong about this - so someone correct me if I'm wrong - but didn't the show premiere's last season also do pretty well? Thanks to the controversy over Spicer. But as the season wore on - and got worse - so did the ratings. I think people are looking for feel-good entertainment - and there's not much else on - but if they're not enjoying it, they won't keep tuning in. Plus, I think the ratings bump is not just curiosity about Tyra, but curiosity about people like Carole Baskin. I definitely don't expect the ratings to stay at this level now that people's curiosities have been satisfied, but we'll see.

• Love 6

I don't think that Carole's video having lots of views is any indication of how long she'll last. That's people who watched Tiger King, don't want to bother watching two hours of DWTS, but still want to see if she is a total trainwreck and are willing to spend 90 seconds on YouTube. That doesn't mean any of those people are voting for her. In fact, if they're watching on YT, most of the views probably came after the voting window closed.

• Love 5
10 minutes ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I don't think that Carole's video having lots of views is any indication of how long she'll last. That's people who watched Tiger King, don't want to bother watching two hours of DWTS, but still want to see if she is a total trainwreck and are willing to spend 90 seconds on YouTube. That doesn't mean any of those people are voting for her. In fact, if they're watching on YT, most of the views probably came after the voting window closed.

I hope you are right. She is really horrible, and not that interesting, either. Hopefully she gets the pimp spot every week so I don't have to watch her.

On 9/15/2020 at 11:30 PM, vdw84 said:

I think they will. This is pretty stacked cast that alot people know and people are looking for something more positive to watch other what is going on in the world today and this is an escape, so I think the ratings will either go up or stay the same but I think this ratings are going to be fine this season. So much for the boycotts.

Agreed.  Changes needed to be made.  More "stars" to fill the time that group dances filled.  To come back to the original which was two people dancing without a troop.  This cast has better dancers so there is more entertainment that's not just laughing at somebody. I'm not interested in Tara but you can't compare her first night to Tom's 11th or 15th season.  

On 9/16/2020 at 2:45 PM, JenMcSnark said:

Yep.  I had this dilemma as well.  But for me, the cast sucks so that made it an easy choice. But I did forget to cancel my series recording until about half way through the episode so that might have counted!  lol  I admire Tyra while knowing that she is not perfect.  But I watched this show mainly for Tom and some of the dancers and now that's pretty much gone.  

The rating are based upon a sampling of households.  Neilsen rates by following specific households.  Watch, don't watch neither will effect the ratings.  Nobody know if you are watching  or not watching.  Neilsen is a sampling of households - no one measures your watching habits.  Do you feel better or worse?

On 9/17/2020 at 5:41 PM, FilmTVGeek80 said:

I could be wrong about this - so someone correct me if I'm wrong - but didn't the show premiere's last season also do pretty well? Thanks to the controversy over Spicer. But as the season wore on - and got worse - so did the ratings. I think people are looking for feel-good entertainment - and there's not much else on - but if they're not enjoying it, they won't keep tuning in. Plus, I think the ratings bump is not just curiosity about Tyra, but curiosity about people like Carole Baskin. I definitely don't expect the ratings to stay at this level now that people's curiosities have been satisfied, but we'll see.

This premiere was 30% up from last year's premiere.  That's a big increase.  I'm not going to attribute it to any one aspect but it's better than last year so ABC should be very happy and somebody's getting a promotion. I love the fact that Covid forced them to stop with the overproduction of the troop trying to distract from the actual partnership. It's a lot closer the original shows.  Controversy sells, controversy gets you action on social media, controversy has us talking here on the forum. Baskins gonna be around in my opinion.  Not sure who will go in her place hopefully that all basketball player because he's just a little bit better than her but not so interesting to me. Baskins gonna wear horrible outfits it's just gonna be a lot of talk and we can always go back to did she kill her husband?  I've never seen tiger king and I love cats.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Kira53 said:

Agreed.  Changes needed to be made.  More "stars" to fill the time that group dances filled.  To come back to the original which was two people dancing without a troop.  This cast has better dancers so there is more entertainment that's not just laughing at somebody. I'm not interested in Tara but you can't compare her first night to Tom's 11th or 15th season.  

The rating are based upon a sampling of households.  Neilsen rates by following specific households.  Watch, don't watch neither will effect the ratings.  Nobody know if you are watching  or not watching.  Neilsen is a sampling of households - no one measures your watching habits.  Do you feel better or worse?

This premiere was 30% up from last year's premiere.  That's a big increase.  I'm not going to attribute it to any one aspect but it's better than last year so ABC should be very happy and somebody's getting a promotion. I love the fact that Covid forced them to stop with the overproduction of the troop trying to distract from the actual partnership. It's a lot closer the original shows.  Controversy sells, controversy gets you action on social media, controversy has us talking here on the forum. Baskins gonna be around in my opinion.  Not sure who will go in her place hopefully that all basketball player because he's just a little bit better than her but not so interesting to me. Baskins gonna wear horrible outfits it's just gonna be a lot of talk and we can always go back to did she kill her husband?  I've never seen tiger king and I love cats.

Actually they do watch dvr numbers, etc. as well as outdated Nielsen numbers.  But I really don't care either way and my post was mostly joking about that.  Do you feel better or worse? 

• Love 2

Zendaya won an emmy tonight. Now that is how u give a big fat f bomb to a mirrorball. Its always the ones fall short of winning that end up doing way better than the ones that win. It goes to show that the viewing audience truly dont vote on real talent because Zendaya should have won her season and I dont care who disagree with me.

• Love 5
11 hours ago, vdw84 said:

Zendaya won an emmy tonight. Now that is how u give a big fat f bomb to a mirrorball. Its always the ones fall short of winning that end up doing way better than the ones that win. It goes to show that the viewing audience truly dont vote on real talent because Zendaya should have won her season and I dont care who disagree with me.

True, I wonder what Kellie Pickler is doing now? 

19 hours ago, Kira53 said:

I'm not interested in Tara but you can't compare her first night to Tom's 11th or 15th season.

Well, she's been a host before on other shows. She has the experience of hosting and probably knows her way around. But...it doesn't mean you're going to be good at it though. It's like a professional athlete. They might have the experience in their sport, but aren't very good! I thought the job she did on AGT wasn't very good. I think what turns people off is the runway entrance on last week's show, along with her modeling strut. Does everything she does have to remind us that she's a model?

Now I don't know what racists comments were made concerning Tyra, but I know my reason for not wanting her as host was a based on her AGT hosting gig. Everything had to have a modeling flavor to it. She tries to be cool? Hip? Appeal to the younger crowd? Whatever it is, turned me off and apparently others also. Now, this is what I read.... she was happy that she became the first black woman to host a show alone, without a cohost. Apparently people took that and ran with it and turned it into a racial issue.  

Someone mentioned the NBA and the NFL, and I have to say that the issues that exist in those leagues are a different animal all together and obviously shouldn't be discussed here, so I'm not. 

Anyway, I won't be watching since Monday night football is on, plus there are other programs that are on that my wife and I prefer to watch. To be honest, I wouldn't be a bit upset if the ratings reverse themselves and spiral downward and they give the boot to Tyra. 

BRING BACK TOM AND ERIN!

Edited by rr2911
  • Love 3

I really think the high ratings are mainly due to not much on right now.  If there was more new content, it would have been different.  Also in regard to the racist discussion, I don’t think the negative feedback about Tyra has anything to do with race.  It is all due to her exposure as a host and personality on other shows.  She will never be everyone’s cup of tea, and I am pretty sure the current ratings are not due to her.  

• Love 4
On 9/15/2020 at 8:06 PM, vdw84 said:

Cheryl is a beautiful woman but did she piss someone off in the wardrobe department?? Her costume last night was almost up there with Carole Baskin as the worse of the night.

Her costume didn’t flatter her tonight either.  She has a beautiful figure and doesn’t need that mass of fringe they’ve been using,

• Love 1

Disney night songs: https://abc.com/shows/dancing-with-the-stars/news/updates/disney-magic-returns-to-the-ballroom-for-dwts-2020-week-3-disney-night

Spoiler

-head coach Monica Aldama ("CHEER") and pro Val Chmerkovskiy dancing the Waltz to "Part of Your World" from "The Little Mermaid"
- animal activist Carole Baskin ("Tiger King") and pro Pasha Pashkov dancing the Samba to "Circle of Life" from "The Lion King"
- Kaitlyn Bristowe ("The Bachelor," "The Bachelorette") and pro Artem Chigvintsev dancing the Foxtrot to "How Far I'll Go" from "Moana"
- Super Bowl Champion Vernon Davis and pro Peta Murgatroyd dancing the Quickstep to "Be Our Guest" from "Beauty and the Beast"
- TV and film actress Anne Heche and Keo Motsepedancing the Quickstep to "Zero to Hero" from "Hercules"
- Disney Channel actress Skai Jackson and pro Alan Bersten dancing the Jive to "Almost There" from "The Princess and the Frog"
- actress Justina Machado ("One Day at a Time") and pro Sasha Farber dancing the Charleston to "Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious" from "Mary Poppins"
- Backstreet Boys singer AJ McLean and pro Cheryl Burke dancing the Quickstep to "Prince Ali" from "Aladdin"
- Emmy® Award-winning host of "The Real" and sideline correspondent on "Holey Moley," Jeannie Mai and pro Brandon Armstrong dancing the Viennese Waltz to "Married Life" from "Up"
- TV and film actor Jesse Metcalfe and pro Sharna Burgess dancing the Jive to "King of New York" from "Newsies"
- GRAMMY®-winning rapper Nelly and pro Daniella Karagach dancing the Foxtrot to "It's Alright" from "Soul"
- TV host Nev Schulman ("Catfish") and pro Jenna Johnson dancing the Argentine Tango to "Angelica" from "Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides"
- actress Chrishell Stause ("Selling Sunset") and pro Gleb Savchenko dancing the Waltz to "A Dream Is a Wish Your Heart Makes" from "Cinderella"
- Olympic figure skater and on-air commentator Johnny Weir and pro Britt Stewart dancing the Rumba to "Reflection" from "Mulan"

😴 A lot of repeats in here. They really don’t take enough advantage of Disney villain songs, which are more fun. Like, someone do a Be Prepared paso instead of the millionth pirate dance.

• Love 4