Type keyword(s) to search

In The Media: DWTS

• Start Topic

11 hours ago, Gueststar said:

In case you have missed Tom’s latest tweet  🤔  Thoughts? 

Co-host with Tyra? 

It's really the only way to save the show if Tyra's still going to produce it.

Edited by MsTree
On 4/21/2021 at 3:05 AM, MsTree said:

Co-host with Tyra? 

He posted another short clip saying it would not be a show he previously hosted but reminiscent of a show he previously hosted. I am wondering if it might be the Masked Singer or the Masked Dancer. He was on Masked Singer himself already and Nick Cannon who currently hosts seems to be having a lot of personal drama these days. 

• Love 2
13 hours ago, TeeMo said:

He posted another short clip saying it would not be a show he previously hosted but reminiscent of a show he previously hosted.

Didn't he also host America's Funniest Home Videos? I hope it's not that, because I'd love to see him do a competing show similar to DWTS, and hopefully get rid of Tyra once & for all.

• Love 4
On 4/21/2021 at 2:05 AM, MsTree said:

Co-host with Tyra? 

If the audience already hates Tyra to the point that a year after she's hired there are articles coming out that have everyone connected to DWTS defending her, it's not going to get any better if they bring back Tom to be her co-host. Tyra will fight for Tom to have the Erin-role so she can still do her catwalk at the beginning, and it won't go well, for Tyra or Tom or the viewers.

• LOL 1
8 hours ago, LexieLily said:

it won't go well, for Tyra or Tom or the viewers.

It won't and it's not. Tom was tapped for something else. He didn't go into details, but it sounded like he's going to host a revived game show.

9 hours ago, MsTree said:

It won't and it's not. Tom was tapped for something else. He didn't go into details, but it sounded like he's going to host a revived game show.

Oh, I hope it's Hollywood Squares.   

• Love 4
On 4/25/2021 at 12:27 PM, TeeMo said:

He posted another short clip saying it would not be a show he previously hosted but reminiscent of a show he previously hosted. I am wondering if it might be the Masked Singer or the Masked Dancer. He was on Masked Singer himself already and Nick Cannon who currently hosts seems to be having a lot of personal drama these days. 

On 4/26/2021 at 2:16 AM, MsTree said:

Didn't he also host America's Funniest Home Videos? I hope it's not that, because I'd love to see him do a competing show similar to DWTS, and hopefully get rid of Tyra once & for all.

4 hours ago, Fable said:

Oh, I hope it's Hollywood Squares. 

I'm also thinking it's a game show, but NOT Hollywood Squares. 

The ABC nighttime gameshow block would have been good for Squares, but I'd think he's not on good terms with ABC at this point. 

"Reminiscent" to me just says same genre of show. 

He's be a longshot for Jeopardy due to his age, so I think it's something new. Not necessarily a revival either. Maybe a new syndicated, or GSN gameshow. 

While he doesn’t see himself making a triumphant return as a performer, the Arkansas native would consider taking on another role: host. According to the Bobby Bones Show emcee, “there [were] some talks for a while” that he was up for the gig before Tyra Banks was tapped to replace Tom Bergeron and Erin Andrews in July 2020.

“If they came and said, ‘Hey, why don’t you come back and host with Tyra?’ That would be something I would consider,” Bones told Us.

Producers approached Bones to see how he felt about the possibility of hosting, but “some other conflicts” got in the way of his ballroom return.

"I don’t know who else they were talking to at that time,” he continued. “And I had Breaking Bobby Bones going and American Idol going. I love [DWTS] and that family over there. … And if they ever came back and said, ‘Hey, let’s talk about it again,’ I would love to be able to look and see if we can make it work.”

12 hours ago, MsTree said:

Are they f'in kidding w/Bones? Sounds like they really want to kill this show for good 😟

Did you miss the "According to the Bobby Bones Show emcee" part?  He's self promoting (otherwise referred to as exaggerating). Him simply telling a PA he'd love to host the show, or him submitting a production bid they later laughed off would qualify for what he claimed. 

• Useful 1

All I saw was that "BB was in talks to host DWTS..."  So unless BB enjoys talking to himself and airing his delusions, I took it mean he actually talked to someone about hosting the show.

On 5/24/2021 at 3:43 AM, MsTree said:

All I saw was that "BB was in talks to host DWTS..."  So unless BB enjoys talking to himself and airing his delusions, I took it mean he actually talked to someone about hosting the show.

I'm suggesting he's lying, or rather broadly exaggerating. 

(edited)

Bobby Bones hosting the show would be a terrible idea, but when has that ever stopped TPTB? He's probably telling the truth about the concept being on the table.

Edited by Dejana
  • Love 1
On 5/25/2021 at 10:48 AM, boyznkatz said:

I'm not a big Tyra fan, but I didn't stop watching the show because of her. Bones on the other hand...YUCK. That would make me stop watching for good :-(

I stopped watching AI because of Bones.  I like DWTS more than AI but I would seriously consider not watching or at least FF through him.

• Love 3

Olympic Gold Medalist Sunni Lee and JoJo Siwa Are the First Cast Members Revealed for Season 30 of Dancing With the Stars

https://deadline.com/2021/08/suni-lee-jojo-siwa-dancing-with-the-stars-season-30-abc-1234822185/

UPDATE: JoJo Siwa to Be Paired With Female in First-Ever Same-Sex Partnership on Dancing With the Stars

https://variety.com/2021/tv/news/dancing-with-the-stars-cast-jojo-siwa-suni-lee-1235050052/

Edited by WildFlower87
  • Useful 2
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, WildFlower87 said:

Olympic Gold Medalist Sunni Lee and JoJo Siwa Are the First Cast Members Revealed for Season 30 of Dancing With the Stars

https://deadline.com/2021/08/suni-lee-jojo-siwa-dancing-with-the-stars-season-30-abc-1234822185/

UPDATE: JoJo Siwa to Be Paired With Female in First-Ever Same-Sex Partnership on Dancing With the Stars

https://variety.com/2021/tv/news/dancing-with-the-stars-cast-jojo-siwa-suni-lee-1235050052/

Re: JoJo:  It's about bloody time the US got on board with the rest of the world!

• Love 6

Suni Lee is a yay choice. Jojo is someone that's going to overstay her welcome, isn't she? (Note: because she herself annoys me. I'm thrilled that she's going to have a same-sex partner. They should have started that idea for Lance, Carson, Johnny, etc.)

• Love 5

I wonder if JoJo will assume more of the "leading" roles that the male celebrities typically have? First of all, she's pretty tall (the Internet estimates her height as ranging from 5'8" to 5'11", but most state 5'9") so she is likely to be taller than any of the female pros.

Suni is much shorter (5'0") so I wouldn't be surprised if she is paired with Sasha (or maybe Pasha).

On 8/26/2021 at 8:57 PM, LexieLily said:

Suni Lee is a yay choice. Jojo is someone that's going to overstay her welcome, isn't she? (Note: because she herself annoys me. I'm thrilled that she's going to have a same-sex partner. They should have started that idea for Lance, Carson, Johnny, etc.)

Shoulda,coulda,woulda, but Bruno wasn't available.

I'm excited that DWTS will be having its very first same-gender partnership, but I wish It a) hadn't taken this long and b) very very much wish JoJo wasn't the first. She just strikes me as being a whiny, petulant, spoiled toddler, and don't get me started on her very public dance experience/ background.

Suni Lee? Completely YAY! And I always enjoy being surprised by some star I've never heard of who impresses me and then I'm all in for them. (I am still hoping for Weird Al Yankovic as a dance-testant this season, or Sonia Manzano -- no insider knowledge here, just "I'd love to see some of my possibly-quirky faves on the dance floor".)

• Love 4
On 8/29/2021 at 9:20 AM, binky101 said:

I'm excited that DWTS will be having its very first same-gender partnership, but I wish It a) hadn't taken this long and b) very very much wish JoJo wasn't the first. She just strikes me as being a whiny, petulant, spoiled toddler, and don't get me started on her very public dance experience/ background.

How did it go for, oh, what's her name, that was on DWTS Jrs.? Maddie Ziegler? The other girl from Dance Moms.

This is unconfirmed speculation, but Jojo might not be the only one with a dance background because Amanda Kloots posted to her Instagram that she’s “starting a new adventure” today that has her teary eyed with excitement because it’s “something she’s wanted to do forever.” 

She’s talked about DWTS being a dream before, she certainly has connections with Carrie Ann (and maybe some producers?) from The Talk, and fits the heartwarming/tearjerker contestant slot, so I’ve had my eyes on her for a while. She’s also a former Rockette and Broadway dancer. I’d be very unsurprised to see her in the cast. 

ETA: Apparently this is CONFIRMED after all - Kristyn Burtt has her in and paired with Alan

https://www.dancedishwithkb.com/post/confirmed-pros-celebrities-season-30-dancing-with-the-stars

Edited by kitcloudkicker
ETA confirmation
  • Useful 4
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, kitcloudkicker said:

This is unconfirmed speculation, but Jojo might not be the only one with a dance background because Amanda Kloots posted to her Instagram that she’s “starting a new adventure” today that has her teary eyed with excitement because it’s “something she’s wanted to do forever.” 

She’s talked about DWTS being a dream before, she certainly has connections with Carrie Ann (and maybe some producers?) from The Talk, and fits the heartwarming/tearjerker contestant slot, so I’ve had my eyes on her for a while. She’s also a former Rockette and Broadway dancer. I’d be very unsurprised to see her in the cast. 

ETA: Apparently this is CONFIRMED after all - Kristyn Burtt has her in and paired with Alan

https://www.dancedishwithkb.com/post/confirmed-pros-celebrities-season-30-dancing-with-the-stars

And that link mentioned Kenya Moore too. Both Kenya and Amanda are supposedly 5'10", so we're looking to have several tall women on this season's cast! If Amanda is paired with Alan, then my guess is that Kenya will be paired with Keo. 

13 hours ago, madpsych78 said:

And that link mentioned Kenya Moore too. Both Kenya and Amanda are supposedly 5'10", so we're looking to have several tall women on this season's cast! If Amanda is paired with Alan, then my guess is that Kenya will be paired with Keo. 

KB actually had Keo out this season as a pro. Her pro list, from another post: https://www.dancedishwithkb.com/post/dancing-with-the-stars-season-30-updates

Spoiler

Your pros this season: 7 men, 8 women

Men:

Val Chmerkovskiy

Pasha Pashkov

Sasha Farber

Brandon Armstrong

Artem Chigvintsev

Gleb Savchenko

Alan Bersten

Women:

Cheryl Burke

Jenna Johnson

Britt Stewart

Daniella Karagach

Sharna Burgess

Emma Slater

Lindsay Arnold

Witney Carson

She’s also reporting Olivia Jade spotted  with Val now, in that original post 🙄 Hopefully she dances better than she rows. 

• LOL 10
On 8/28/2021 at 11:15 PM, legaleagle53 said:

Louis  Van Amstel would have done it.

from what i understand, Louis is just happy his contract with the show is over.  

I'm not sure who Jojo Siwa is but she was totally annoying on Entertainment Tonight.  I had to change the channel.  

They should have started that idea for Lance, Carson, Johnny, etc.)

from what I remember, Carson didn't want a male partner.  Said he wasn't strong enough to lift a male partner.  Of course that could just have been him covering for management but I completely understand the sentiment.

In the meantime, not sure whether I want to inflict Tyra on myself again.  Last season I just watched the dances and FF'd thru anything with Tyra.

This season is looking bleak so far.

They are only about 5-10 years behind the times with JoJo and Jenna (if KB is correct on the pairing).

There's yet another Bachelor & rando from the Real Housewives/Bravo reality tv universe.

As gymnasts and athletes go, Suni might be quite good. Or she could have a very reserved personality that doesn't quite translate to good DWTS content. Hopefully whoever her partner is is able to lift her out of a shell should that become necessary.

Now Jeannie Mai ended up being one of the more enjoyable contestants last season before w/d'ing for health reasons, so maybe I should give this Amanda person (similar background's going from The Real to The Talk) a pass for now at least. We'll see..

And the less things said about the last person already spoiled, the better. I'm getting all kinds of trainwreck/Bristol P vibes already..

Now if KCK's spoiler on the pro's is correct (and there's no reason to doubt that it's not) then we've only got two more female "stars" to unveil. Compared with 7 male stars. Not sure why we've got such an unbalanced leakage so far for S30, but it does seem like one of the two remaining female stars might skew a little older since Jojo/Sunisa/Olivia are a combined 47 years old (18, 18, & 21). Amanda's a bit older than I expected at 39, and Kenya's 50.

I also wonder if we might get gold medal representation from the Tokyo Olympics on the men's star side as well. Caleb Dressel the swimmer would be the most logical choice, but I could also see them getting the really big guy who won the shot put or the other really big guy who won heavyweight wrestling literally right at the buzzer. Especially if they would choose not to have a retired NFL football player this season..

Edited by PhD-Purgatory15
1 hour ago, PhD-Purgatory15 said:

As gymnasts and athletes go, Suni might be quite good. Or she could have a very reserved personality that doesn't quite translate to good DWTS content. Hopefully whoever her partner is is able to lift her out of a shell should that become necessary.

I’d like to see Suni with Pasha. He’s been really great with his past partners (even Baskins) especially in making them feel comfortable, and I’d like to see him with someone with potential. He’s also one of the shortie male pros (and I’m kind of bored with Sasha.)

• Love 1

Olivia Jade will be a contestant?  Good Lord, they really are scraping the bottom of the barrel!  How is she a "star" by anyone's definition?  The producers probably hope Lori and her husband will be in the audience rooting for their daughter for more drama and publicity.  Horrible.

• Love 12

Olivia Jade totally gives me Bristol Palin vibes.

If Brian Austin Green is paired with Sharna, it will totally be like that season when Julianne was paired with Chuck Wicks. I think it would be more interesting if he WASN'T paired with Sharna, but that's just me.

• Love 5

Jojo, Kenya, and Matt James? Plus giving Olivia Jade this opportunity is disgraceful. It's rewarding her and her parents for their fuckery. 

No, thank you to this season. 

Edited by funnygirl
  • Love 8

While I don't who this JoJo person is, I'm excited for them finally having a same sex pairing, and even more pleased that it's Jenna. I know I'm in the minority, but I like her way better than Lindsay, Whitney, or Sharna. Olivia Jade....YUCK. I guess this is another Tonya Harding type of casting. But Tonya made it to the finals, so we might get stuck with her if the producers think she will bring in ratings.

Amanda Kloots might be a wildcard. She is going to be a ringer and she might get sympathy votes, but she's also annoying. I could see her getting the boot mid-season as well.

Edited by boyznkatz
4 hours ago, boyznkatz said:

While I don't who this JoJo person is, I'm excited for them finally having a same sex pairing, and even more pleased that it's Jenna.

Jojo is...basically a children's entertainer. Picture a Lisa Frank Trapper Keeper covered in glitter, but come to life and kind of, dancing and shouting at you. She was on Dance Mom's as a kid and then parlayed that into YouTube stardom, (kids) pop music, and a vast merchandising deal (her stuff was everywhere in Target for a while.) Her target demographic is probably 5-9 year old girls. 

That said, since turning 18, and also in the way she handled coming out, she's given glimpses of maturing better than I thought she would, like she's in on the “joke” of why people find her annoying. I've found myself liking her more than I thought was possible from her general persona as a kid? The thing that will be interesting with being paired with Jenna is that they both can be a lot of energy/intensity, so together it might be A LOT. I bet a bunch of people will stay on the “annoyed” train.

ETA: I forgot to mention she is known for driving a Tesla covered entirely with terrifying pictures of her own face. How you feel about that may inform how you feel about Jojo as a whole. https://www.buzzfeed.com/lyapalater/jojo-siwa-car-covered-pictures-of-her-face

Edited by kitcloudkicker
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 4
  • Love 2
18 hours ago, kitcloudkicker said:

Jojo is...basically a children's entertainer. Picture a Lisa Frank Trapper Keeper covered in glitter, but come to life and kind of, dancing and shouting at you. She was on Dance Mom's as a kid and then parlayed that into YouTube stardom, (kids) pop music, and a vast merchandising deal (her stuff was everywhere in Target for a while.) Her target demographic is probably 5-9 year old girls. 

Hahahahahahahaha!

I have never seen her perform and only know who she is via magazines, but your description is spot on!!!!!

• LOL 5
18 hours ago, kitcloudkicker said:

That said, since turning 18, and also in the way she handled coming out, she's given glimpses of maturing better than I thought she would, like she's in on the “joke” of why people find her annoying. I've found myself liking her more than I thought was possible from her general persona as a kid? The thing that will be interesting with being paired with Jenna is that they both can be a lot of energy/intensity, so together it might be A LOT. I bet a bunch of people will stay on the “annoyed” train.

ETA: I forgot to mention she is known for driving a Tesla covered entirely with terrifying pictures of her own face. How you feel about that may inform how you feel about Jojo as a whole. https://www.buzzfeed.com/lyapalater/jojo-siwa-car-covered-pictures-of-her-face

I didn't think about her pairing with Jenn and all that energy in one pair.  JoJo was very enthusiastic in Masked Singer.  Dance-wise Jenna and JoJo should be good.  But personality-wise, that could be too much to take in.

Right now, I'm cheering for Suni.  She would also most likely be paired with Sasha or Pasha which is another plus.

Even though I won't be watching DWTS since Tyra Banks is still the host, I probably wouldn't be watching the show anyway.  JoJo is just pushing the envelope a bit I think.  I don't think it's discriminatory if they kept the tradition alive and stayed with a man/woman couple.  Who someone's paired with isn't going to define their sexual preference.  It's just ballroom dancing.  One concern is, are the judges going to be fair and score JoJo as performing the male steps accurately?  Or are they going to throw the ballroom dance steps out the window to accommodate JoJo?  I think the show has shot itself in the foot on this.

• Love 9
9 hours ago, rr2911 said:

Even though I won't be watching DWTS since Tyra Banks is still the host, I probably wouldn't be watching the show anyway.  JoJo is just pushing the envelope a bit I think.  I don't think it's discriminatory if they kept the tradition alive and stayed with a man/woman couple.  Who someone's paired with isn't going to define their sexual preference.  It's just ballroom dancing.  One concern is, are the judges going to be fair and score JoJo as performing the male steps accurately?  Or are they going to throw the ballroom dance steps out the window to accommodate JoJo?  I think the show has shot itself in the foot on this.

I respectfully disagree. The Austrian, Israeli, Ukrainian, and Italian versions of the show, as well as to the British original, have all had same-sex pairings -- some of them even male -- and for the most part, these pairings proved extremely popular with viewers, especially the two male couples who were on the Austrian and Italian versions, respectively. The Italian couple even made history as the first same-sex couple to ever make the finals on ANY version of DWTS, in fact!

And yes, JoJo will be judged the same as any other dancer whether she does the traditional lead or follow role (typically, same-sex couples tend to switch throughout the dance). As you said, dancing is dancing. It's just time that those of us who are naturally more comfortable dancing with a member of our own gender were recognized as equals and not forced to appear to be something we're not just because a few viewers' heads might explode  over it. That's their problem, not ours!

Edited by legaleagle53
  • Love 16
2 hours ago, legaleagle53 said:

It's just time that those of us who are naturally more comfortable dancing with a member of our own gender were recognized as equals and not forced to appear to be something we're not just because a few viewers' heads might explode  over it. That's their problem, not ours!

So true. I wonder how American audiences will react, though? They are way more conservative than European audiences. DWTS (the American version) is always behind the times. I'm glad that they are finally seeing the light!

• Love 7

I think JoJo Siwa is a good choice to be making this first step for DWTS US.   She has a huge following amongst the younger set snd when she didn’t just come out, but introduced her girlfriend, there were some who were upset and called her a bad role model, but far, far more praised her example.   If all her fans watch and vote, she could make it far.  

Edited by DEL901
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, legaleagle53 said:

And yes, JoJo will be judged the same as any other dancer whether she does the traditional lead or follow role (typically, same-sex couples tend to switch throughout the dance). 

Well, already this would mean that the show would be changing things to accommodate Jojo.  Is that really fair?  The male celebrities would be following a standard but Jojo would have special rules?  That's the problem that I see.  Understand I'm not saying she shouldn't be on the show.  She should be paired with a male pro and make things even across the board.  But, this is my take and like you said in your response, I respectfully disagree with you. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, rr2911 said:

Well, already this would mean that the show would be changing things to accommodate Jojo.  Is that really fair?  The male celebrities would be following a standard but Jojo would have special rules?  That's the problem that I see.  Understand I'm not saying she shouldn't be on the show.  She should be paired with a male pro and make things even across the board.  But, this is my take and like you said in your response, I respectfully disagree with you. 

That is NOT what I said. When she does the lead role, she will be judged on execution the same as any male celebrity would. When she does the follow role, she will be  judged the same as any other female celebrity would. There are no "special rules" just for JoJo. Equal treatment does not equal "special treatment."

• Love 14
1 hour ago, rr2911 said:

Ballroom dance rules are NOT written for male/female, they are written for lead/follow. One partner leads, the other follows, regardless of gender, no rule changes necessary. It’s incredibly common to see same sex pairs in youth competitions, just on the basis of them having more girls than boys to go around, and yes, having a problem with it is bigoted. 

I haven’t followed any of the other DWTS shows that have done this yet, but I hope it’s not all “fun friends” choreography and that Jenna also choreographs a “romantic” dance for them at least once. Because if it’s normal for the opposite gender pairs it should be normal for this pair too.

(I should mention, though hopefully it’s obvious, given JoJo’s age I mean like, fairytale romantic, not Gleb-on-a-bed romantic.)

Edited by kitcloudkicker
  • Love 13