Type keyword(s) to search

In The Media: DWTS

• Start Topic

23 hours ago, White Dog said:

“Dancing with the Stars” is the hit series hosted by supermodel and businesswoman Tyra Banks in which celebrities perform choreographed dance routines that are judged by a panel of renowned ballroom experts, including Len Goodman, Carrie Ann Inaba, Bruno Tonioli and Derek Hough. 

Shouldn't it be "former" supermodel and "questionable" businesswoman?

• LOL 7
  • Love 1
12 hours ago, realdancemom said:

To me, Cheryl didn't start looking like she had any energy until last week. 

Yes and that’s a concern for me. Cody now is primed for a rise. Derek, who was a critic of Cody whilst being a cheerleader for Iman is now out for the finale so I fear the tone from the judges is going to turn on one of the vote getters in order to elevate someone who needs help from them. At least that’s my gut feeling since they are bringing back fusion dances instead of favourite dance of the season. We don’t get a chance to revisit that amazing Contemporary that went viral and will never be marked lower than perfect. But Len never gave Iman higher than an 8 for the Foxtrot and the Cha cha and Iman lost to Melora on the Foxtrot dance off. Since Melora was Len’s favourite he will easily keep him at an 8 if he’s in a mood. If the other two agree -(Bruno has scored same as Len previously), then Iman will be at a significant  disadvantage going into the freestyle  Without Derek there to encourage a higher score on the ballroom dances, Iman could be out early and wind up 4th. That would truly piss me off but I’m bracing myself.  Im watching Len. I hope he at least gets to a 9 for Iman to have a chance. 

ETA::  So I just looked at Derek's Instagram.  It looks like a lot of cameras at his home. So, he may just patch in to DWTS for the Finale as a Judge afterall.  I feel a little more confident in Iman's chances.  Also Iman and Daniella were plugging for votes on ESPN so ya never know. 

Edited by White Dog
  • Love 2
12 hours ago, White Dog said:

ETA::  So I just looked at Derek's Instagram.  It looks like a lot of cameras at his home. So, he may just patch in to DWTS for the Finale as a Judge afterall.

Was just coming in to say that I highly doubt Derek won't still judge the Finale, even if he has to do it from his home. If Cheryl and Cody could be kept in the competition, having to dance at one point in different locations, Derek judging remotely should be a piece of cake. 

12 hours ago, White Dog said:

Without Derek there to encourage a higher score on the ballroom dances, Iman could be out early and wind up 4th. That would truly piss me off but I’m bracing myself.  Im watching Len. I hope he at least gets to a 9 for Iman to have a chance. 

I don't see it - referring to the bolded especially. I think if any couple is in danger of being hurt by Cody's clearly rabid fanbase and late season judges' surge, it's probably Amanda. Admittedly I'm only one but when I started writing this response, I genuinely could not remember the fourth couple - along with JoJo/Jenna, Iman/Daniella and Cody/Cheryl, in the finale.

Like it was just a complete and utter blank. So if there are others like me, I'd say Amanda is the one who's in the most trouble. Let's also remember that of the finale pairings, Iman/Daniella and Cody/Cheryl are the only two who were never in jeopardy. And they averagely scored lower than the other two for much of the first part of the season. 

The other reason Amanda is the one most likely in danger is that the judges have been lukewarm on her for weeks, which I feel derailed her momentum she started the season with. I'm not saying Iman will win but I don't see him being in 4th place. 

• Useful 1
3 hours ago, truthaboutluv said:

16 hours ago, White Dog said:

ETA::  So I just looked at Derek's Instagram.  It looks like a lot of cameras at his home. So, he may just patch in to DWTS for the Finale as a Judge afterall.

Was just coming in to say that I highly doubt Derek won't still judge the Finale, even if he has to do it from his home. If Cheryl and Cody could be kept in the competition, having to dance at one point in different locations, Derek judging remotely should be a piece of cake.

I’d absolutely love to be wrong on this, but I’m still not 100% sure the cameras are for DWTS because I think he was also supposed to be doing stuff for some ABC/Disney Christmas specials? While I absolutely believe it’s possible to patch him in, I think it’s harder than with Cheryl/Cody because they just had to be patched in once, for an extended period of time, while judges talk in such short spurts throughout the episode that getting the timing down feels harder. Not to mention they have to get a feed of each dance sent back to him. If there’s any issue with timing, a delay of 3 seconds or something gets a lot bigger when you only had time to talk for 20 seconds in the first place, and this show has horrible issues with timing already. I guess maybe if they always made him be the last one to talk I could see it working? That way they’d have time to vamp if something came up.

On 11/19/2021 at 12:55 PM, realdancemom said:

Even though, I would prefer that he didn't win, he does have a big fan base so there's a chance that he will.  I'm still going to say that it's not a Bobby Bones situation because I haven't read anything where he has a bad attitude.

For me the Bones comparison is more about his fans than Cody himself. He seems fine, but they got on my nerves. They seem to have calmed down a bit (or maybe I stopped looking) but I kept encountering them places online, extremely loudly complaining about how he didn’t get graded on a curve for having COVID, which is just a stupid, annoying opinion, IMO. It sucks that he had it, but you have to grade the dance in front of you or you’d have to investigate everyone’s personal struggles that week and grade them on curves too. And what if they didn’t want to talk about them on camera (like Suni getting harassed) - they don’t get bonus points then? And anyway, if they weren’t going to give James bonus points the day after he lost a baby and thought his wife was going to die, the certainly shouldn’t give them out to Cody. 

My finale predictions - I’d like it to be:

1. Iman

2. JoJo

3. Amanda

4. Cody

But I won’t be surprised if it is:

1. Cody

2. Iman

3. JoJo

4. Amanda

• Love 3
2 hours ago, kitcloudkicker said:

For me the Bones comparison is more about his fans than Cody himself. He seems fine, but they got on my nerves. They seem to have calmed down a bit (or maybe I stopped looking) but I kept encountering them places online, extremely loudly complaining about how he didn’t get graded on a curve for having COVID, which is just a stupid, annoying opinion, IMO. It sucks that he had it, but you have to grade the dance in front of you or you’d have to investigate everyone’s personal struggles that week and grade them on curves too. And what if they didn’t want to talk about them on camera (like Suni getting harassed) - they don’t get bonus points then? And anyway, if they weren’t going to give James bonus points the day after he lost a baby and thought his wife was going to die, the certainly shouldn’t give them out to Cody. 

My finale predictions - I’d like it to be:

1. Iman

2. JoJo

3. Amanda

4. Cody

But I won’t be surprised if it is:

1. Cody

2. Iman

3. JoJo

4. Amanda

I can't judge a contestant based on their fan bases because some of Iman's fans are also vocal.  They thought that Iman should have won against Melora during their dance off.   I think Iman's dancing is enjoyable and I would have given him bonus points when he was competing against Cody & the Miz because of his swagger.  But Melora's ballroom technique is  better than Iman's so I agreed with the judges on that decision.  His fans complain about his scores too which is subjective although I agree that sometimes Len is too harsh but then it's offset by CAI's score.

I mostly agree with your two orders.  For who I would like:  Iman and Jojo can be either 1 or 2 for me.  For what I think it will be:  I think Cody or Iman could win.  So with both orders, 1 and 2 could be interchangeable.

My worry about the Finale is all things considered Iman could be the lowest scored contestant after the fusion. Len gave him 8 for Cha Cha and Foxtrot  Cody got a 9 for Cha Cha and a 10 for Paso . Even if Cody stinks up the room the judges never go lower than the initial score.

Iman is in 4th place right now before he even starts. so perhaps his fanbase is huge to overcome the point spread  or Cody has caught up and the points awarded will be insurance. It’s possible that should JoJo and Amanda be awarded the highest scores it could be enough to wave goodbye to Iman. The only possible good outcome is that with 3 judges the point spread is smaller and so it’s easier to make up the difference in the fan vote.

4 hours ago, TVMovieBuff said:

For many finales the judges give everyone all 10's and throw the decision to the voters. If that happens I can see Amanda in 4th. 

I am not that certain of the Top 3.

IF they give Iman a 10 for his fusion he’ll be in good shape, because I think the freestyle is going to be very different and crowd pleasing.

• Love 1
19 hours ago, White Dog said:

IF they give Iman a 10 for his fusion he’ll be in good shape, because I think the freestyle is going to be very different and crowd pleasing.

I trust Daniella to dream up something very innovative and suited just for Iman. 

I hope he wins.

• Love 4

Seeing some of the headlines about JoJo/Jenna, I understand why Cody may be a bit disgruntled about not being offered the chance to dance with a man. I still think everyone should have been offered the choice once one person was offered the choice. 

• Love 3
27 minutes ago, Zuleikha said:

Seeing some of the headlines about JoJo/Jenna, I understand why Cody may be a bit disgruntled about not being offered the chance to dance with a man. I still think everyone should have been offered the choice once one person was offered the choice. 

DWTS isn't a fair practices kind of thing, it is a private enterprise sort of, where their choice gets to participate. Jojo was the one they wanted to go with, for their first foray into same-sex partnerships.

It didn't generate much controversy, so it will be a matter of time before there is a male/male couple dancing. But it is still up to the producers when and who, that will be.

• Love 3

Julianne will be the 4th judge tonight and Derek will be patched in via remote.  

Really stoked for Iman and Daniella freestyle - looks  like they will tear it up to Missy Elliot with a nod to the movie Save The Last Damce- I loved that movie. 

• Love 5
On 11/20/2021 at 6:16 PM, realdancemom said:

I can't judge a contestant based on their fan bases because some of Iman's fans are also vocal.  They thought that Iman should have won against Melora during their dance off.   I think Iman's dancing is enjoyable and I would have given him bonus points when he was competing against Cody & the Miz because of his swagger.  But Melora's ballroom technique is  better than Iman's so I agreed with the judges on that decision.  His fans complain about his scores too which is subjective although I agree that sometimes Len is too harsh but then it's offset by CAI's score.

I mostly agree with your two orders.  For who I would like:  Iman and Jojo can be either 1 or 2 for me.  For what I think it will be:  I think Cody or Iman could win.  So with both orders, 1 and 2 could be interchangeable.

True, every contestant has their annoying fans. I think Cody’s most annoying fans just remind me the most of Bobby Bones’s most annoying fans, if that makes sense. They're the most Bonesian. Kind of a, “I never watch this show and don’t give a shit if his dances are entertaining I just like him (and I like that it’s making people mad)” kind of attitude vs Iman fans who give me more, “Holy shit, I don’t know anything about dance but that was really fun to watch!” kinda vibes. That’s what  drives the comparison for me, anyway. 

I generally don’t really care who wins this show, as long as my favorites end up in the finale. It’s most disappointing for me to miss someone’s freestyle that I wanted to see, because it’s the big culmination of the season. I’m happy enough to see the other three’s freestyles, regardless of eventual winner. Would have liked Suni in the mix but it’s not as disappointing for me as when Nastia missed the final. And if he wins, I do hope that Cody gets his big moment in his freestyle, since the song seems like it could let him show more personality. 

1 hour ago, Zuleikha said:

I do wonder if this is driving any of the disconnect between Cody/Cheryl. Even if they actually do get along, he could even subconsciously be disappointed that he wasn’t offered a male partnership, and it could be manifesting in the seeming disconnect between them.

• Love 3

Jojo & her mom were on The View today. She said she has cried 4 times today already, because DWTS is over. 

I didn't know at first if I was going to like Jojo, because of the kids show thing. But I really do like her as a person, she's very nice.

• Love 7

I am a little worried about Emma & Sasha. Someone mentioned in other threads that they weren’t wearing their rings on the show, but I figured with costumes that’s pretty normal. I follow both on Instagram, and they didn’t celebrate thanksgiving together (Emma was in London), and they haven’t been in each other’s posts. They also are both not wearing rings. Sniff. I hope everything is ok. None of my business, of course, but I’m rooting for them. 

30 minutes ago, Sd601 said:

I am a little worried about Emma & Sasha. Someone mentioned in other threads that they weren’t wearing their rings on the show, but I figured with costumes that’s pretty normal. I follow both on Instagram, and they didn’t celebrate thanksgiving together (Emma was in London), and they haven’t been in each other’s posts. They also are both not wearing rings. Sniff. I hope everything is ok. None of my business, of course, but I’m rooting for them. 

I hope it isn't that they are having troubles. I can see not wearing your rings while dancing, they could get scratched up or bent. I like them both they are such a cute couple. 

• Love 2
22 hours ago, legaleagle53 said:

Here's a radical idea: How about bringing Tom Bergeron back?

Someone asked Tom about that quite some time ago and he basically responded that ship has sailed.

6 hours ago, Sd601 said:

I wouldn't put a lot of stock into that, as neither of them are from countries that celebrate Thanksgiving (England and Australia), at least not the traditional American one.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
21 hours ago, legaleagle53 said:

The other thing that helps is that even though he's from Ukraine, he's always self-identified as Russian and is fluent in both languages.

Ukraine is drafting all men from 18-60 into the military.    I hope he just has a US passport and isn’t a dual citizen or he might not be going home any time soon.  

• Useful 2
10 minutes ago, DEL901 said:

Ukraine is drafting all men from 18-60 into the military.    I hope he just has a US passport and isn’t a dual citizen or he might not be going home any time soon.  

From what I read and heard they are drafting reservists, not all men (of course hat could change).

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/ukraine-starts-drafting-reservists-aged-18-60-after-presidents-order-2022-02-23/

However, they are prohibiting men ages 18-60 from leaving the country.

Edited by Stats Queen
  • Useful 1
4 hours ago, Annber03 said:

That sucks, but it's good he's keeping in touch with people. I wish him and his family well, and hope they continue to stay safe. 

From the little I've read, Peta and Shai (and Val and Jenna, FWIW) are in LA - or at least not in Ukraine - so there's that. Peta is understandably terrified.

• Love 3
9 hours ago, Annber03 said:

That sucks, but it's good he's keeping in touch with people. I wish him and his family well, and hope they continue to stay safe. 

Hopefully he can continue to stay in touch.  Yesterday he posted about heading for a bomb shelter for the night.   And if the Russians target infrastructure…electricity and cell service…he could lose communications.    Scary stuff.  

He posted about how scary the train station experience was for him, a tall man carrying only a small backpack.   I can’t imagine what it was like for families trying to take what they could carry since they would likely lose anything left behind. 

He also said the train was packed…the cabin he was in normally seats 3.  There were 4 adults and 7 children. 

• Love 1
(edited)

I have mixed feelings about this. Men ages 18-60 aren't allowed to leave Ukraine. He must have bribed several people and/or used his connection to get special treatment; there's no other way he'd have been able to get out.  I don't blame him for wanting to be safe and reunite with his family, but he shouldn't be courting attention for his "ordeal" when in reality he fully exploited his privilege.

Edited by chocolatine
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4
19 minutes ago, chocolatine said:

I have mixed feelings about this. Men ages 18-60 aren't allowed to leave Ukraine. He must have bribed several people and/or used his connection to get special treatment; there's no other way he'd have been able to get out.  I don't blame him for wanting to be safe and reunite with his family, but he shouldn't be courting attention for his "ordeal" when in reality he fully exploited his privilege.

I want to go over to Ukraine and help throw molotov cocktails at the Russian military equipment.

• Love 4
9 hours ago, chocolatine said:

He is a US citizen so he wouldn’t have been covered by this order.  But yes, he could afford to pay to leave. 

• Love 4
(edited)
3 hours ago, DEL901 said:

He is a US citizen so he wouldn’t have been covered by this order.  But yes, he could afford to pay to leave. 

I thought he was a dual US/Ukrainian citizen, which would mean he's subject to Ukrainian law while in Ukraine. This is always the risk with dual citizenship - if you have any problems while in one country, the other country can't/won't get you out - and everyone who has dual citizenship is well aware of it.

Edited by chocolatine
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
(edited)

Eh, I’m no immigration expert and I don’t know his exact status, but clearly he’s not subject to the Ukrainian mandate because he did get out, on what sounded like a normal (though stressful) train, there was no sneaking out of the country. Just a US passport abroad can be a handy thing to have. 

I’m uncomfortable with a) suggesting US citizens should be forced to fight for a foreign government or b) Monday morning quarterbacking someone’s life or death decisions in the middle of an active war. I’ve seen some of his Instagram videos he’s posted and he does not seem like someone “doing this for attention,” he seems like someone shell shocked and full of survivors guilt, doing the only thing he can think to do to help which is using the small platform he has to share info about what he’s seeing. Whether he got out on a US passport or because he had other connections, he clearly feels conflicted about it, he said he stood for the 13 hour train ride to Warsaw, cramming himself into a corner of the train car trying to make himself as small as possible to not feel like he was taking up a spot for someone else. If I was in that position can I say I would make a different decision? It just feels like a weird place to be making broad moral judgements.

ETA: Peta confirms he only has US citizenship, not dual 

EF5DC113-02ED-490A-961A-CE66FD1B1046.jpeg

Edited by kitcloudkicker
  • Like 1
  • Useful 2
  • Love 19