Type keyword(s) to search

In The Media: DWTS

• Start Topic

Most people are not going to recognize every celebrity, but typically I recognize some and there are others that I've never heard of (perhaps they are up and coming). I try to read up on the backgrounds of everyone that is cast. When you just focus on that, it's actually a fairly diverse cast which could make for an interesting show. 

Surprisingly very few athletes - just Arnold Schwarzenegger's son. Most have either been in shows or movies. 

But, among those that are cast we have someone who is deaf (the CODA guy), a drag queen, someone battling multiple sclerosis, someone who improvises songs on Whose Line, and so forth. 

Wikipedia has been all over the place with Shangela's pronouns though. They state on the bottom that they are using she/her, but then they use a mixture of "he" and "she." On Shangela's website, when they are referring to D.J. they use "he," and when they refer to Shangela they use "she." 

• Love 1
17 hours ago, TVMovieBuff said:

I had to bite my knuckle when i saw Mark Ballas is back, and I won't be seeing him.  

Wait, what?! 

OK I had to immediately Google this. He's the thing I'm excited about for this season now and ringer schminger. It's a deserved welcome back gift for him. :) 

4 hours ago, anonymiss said:

Wait, what?! 

OK I had to immediately Google this. He's the thing I'm excited about for this season now and ringer schminger. It's a deserved welcome back gift for him. :) 

Same. I shrieked with delight when Mark Ballas danced out with Charli on GMA. There had been no rumors about him coming back, and it was the best kind of shock. I honestly thought he was done with DWTS forever and I've really missed his creative choreography, so I'm thrilled he's back and has a partner who can dance (ringers don't bother me as I like to see good dancing).

Carrie Ann and Bruno were on GMA3 yesterday and announced that one of the themes this season will be a Michael Buble Week. Michael appeared in a video saying how much he was looking forward to being a judge this week and seeing all the couples dance to his music. Fingers crossed that they will play his actual songs and not have the band butcher them. Buble Week will be on October 24th.

I went ahead and signed up for Disney+ last night as they have a $1.99 for the first month special going on at the moment. First thing I watched was the Dancing with the Stars: The Pros' Most Memorable Dances special, which I really enjoyed. I didn't necessarily agree with all the choices, but it was fun to see some old dances I'd forgotten about.

• Like 2
  • Love 3

I was going to skip this season but Gabby, Mark Ballas, Louis V. and Alexis from SYTYCD are enough of a draw for me to check out the show on Disney +.
I think the Gabby / Val and Mark / tiktok girl will be good contenders and I love the idea of Mark vs Val once again!

Check out these videos of Gabby's cheerleading days. She looks nice with the lighter hair...

Edited by Melonie77
  • Love 2

I was in a doctor's office waiting room with a migraine (unrelated to the reason I was there, just causing extra misery) and they had the TV on so I half saw the intro of the pairs, when I could keep my eyes open. Was surprised to see Mark is back (and more surprised when they said it'd been six seasons; feels longer). Someone suggested Louis was back for an older female celeb so I guess they were right about that. Also was surprised by Selma Blair; she seemed pretty frail last time I saw a profile on her. And Sam Champion! He started as my "local" ABC station weatherman (I get NYC stations and my parents usually watched the news on ABC) when I was in middle school (according to wikipedia). Was a little shocked by the white hair! 

I hope they still put the dances on youtube and/or facebook or I won't be seeing them.

I think I know more celebs this season than I did last season. Last season, I probably knew five of them, but only a couple I actually enjoyed.

This time? Probably about nine or ten, and five who I have enjoyed/know more than just their name.

I think I'm rooting for Daniel/Britt, Selma/Sasha, Wayne/Witney and Jordin/Brandon the most. Any of them doing well would make me happy.

I'm not necessarily rooting for some, but I am intrigued to see Charli/Mark (welcome back, Mark!), Cheryl/Louis (I never was around for any of Louis' seasons but have heard good things about him), and Shangela/Gleb.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Does anyone know if you can watch this show after the season is done so you can watch the whole season more quickly?  We usually only sign up for Disney for Mandalorian,etc, so we wait until the series has aired, and watch it all at once.  Just wondering if dwts will be the same.

On 4/8/2022 at 5:23 PM, kitcloudkicker said:

I’m pretty sure they were thinking, “it’s either this or we’re going to cancel it outright.”

Because if they thought it could make money on network, they would have kept it on network.

When they fired Tom Bergeron, I stopped watching. I refuse to watch the show with Tyra Banks.

I just read that Mark Ballas and Louis Van Amstel will be on this season. I hope I can watch their dances on YouTube. That is the only way I will watch any part of this show as long as Tyra is front and center. Can't stand her!!!!!!!

Edited by luvthepros
  • Like 1
  • Love 1
On 9/8/2022 at 11:53 AM, boyznkatz said:

She was super famous in the 70s, a real star. If the usual fans tune in, she might go far. If they don't, maybe not. I'm still glad to see Louis and Mark back. I wish Karina, Anna, Kym, Derek and some of the others came back as well.

Even if all those previous pros came back, as long as Tyra is host, I will not watch this show. She has ruined this show for me and all I've seen of her are tid bits of her prancing around in ridiculous costumes. I cannot stand that woman.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 3

And now we know why Sasha was originally in the troupe.    There may have been concerns if Selma was well enough to participate.   She looked great at the Emmys, so hopefully the show isn’t too much for her.  I think just participating and making it to the live show is an accomplishment for her. 

• Like 2
  • Love 2

I'm hoping the dances are on YouTube or their FB page sometime during the week.  It could be afterwards, I wouldn't care.  Don't know how this will work.  Most of their demographic is old like me and we don't have Disney+.  I know they're targeting younger people but they've been doing that for years and I don't think it's working.

• Applause 2
On 9/9/2022 at 11:55 AM, BrainyBlonde said:

I went ahead and signed up for Disney+ last night as they have a $1.99 for the first month special going on at the moment.

FYI - That deal is available through Sept 19 aka DWTS premiere date.

We have Disney+ as a $2.99 add-on to Hulu, which we got during last year's 99-cent Black Friday sale. (For $3.98 monthly, it's been great. Hoping for another good deal when the promo period expires.) Anyhow, current Hulu subscribers might check whether the $2.99 Disney+ add-on is available.

10 hours ago, realdancemom said:

I'm hoping the dances are on YouTube or their FB page sometime during the week.  It could be afterwards, I wouldn't care.  Don't know how this will work.  Most of their demographic is old like me and we don't have Disney+.

I'm curious about this. Obviously, the DWTS move is no problem for fans who already have Disney+. It's also a low hurdle for those accustomed to streaming, especially if they already rotate between services. But old school, technophobic, or recalcitrant viewers? It's hard to imagine TPTB would ignore them beyond possibly broadcasting the Finale on ABC. Having dances available on YouTube or Facebook--similar to SCD and DWTS in past seasons--would at least provide some context for non-DWTS+ viewers leading to Finals week.

FWIW - Mira Quien Baila returns to Univision in October. The show quality is inconsistent, but you may recognize several pro faces if you follow SYTYCD, DWTS and semi-related tours. It's in Spanish, extra cheesy, and (in previous seasons) drawn out to three hours. But it's free, if you have Univision in your broadcast market. <shrug>

• Useful 1

Week 1 Dances and Songs

Joseph/Dani: jive to "Pump It" 

Selma/Sasha: VW to "The Time of My Life" 

Wayne/Witney: cha cha to "She's A Bad Mama Jama (She's Built, She's Stacked)" 

Sam/Cheryl: foxtrot to "Hold Me Closer" 

Charli/Mark: cha cha to "Savage (Major Lazer Remix)” 

Heidi/Artem: cha cha to "Lady Marmalade" 

Jessie/Alan: cha cha to "Sweet Home Alabama" 

Trevor/Emma: quickstep to "Dancing with Myself" 

Daniel/Britt: tango to "Barbra Streisand" 

Teresa/Pasha: tango to "We Found Love" 

Vinny/Koko: salsa to "Titi Me Pregunto" 

Cheryl/Louis: cha cha to "Give It Up" 

Jason/Peta: cha cha to "Get Lucky" 

Shangela/Gleb: salsa to "When I Grow Up" 

Jordin/Brandon: cha cha to "I Wanna Dance With Somebody (Who Loves Me)" 

Gabby/Val: jive to "As it Was"

https://mobile.twitter.com/desireemurphy_/status/1570957649973514240/photo/1

• Thanks 1
On 9/14/2022 at 1:19 PM, peachmangosteen said:

Do we know how this will work? Will it be on Disney+ at 8 pm et? Will you be able to start it say at 830 and then fast forward through things like you would with a DVR or does it have to be watched live?

On 9/17/2022 at 1:23 AM, RomanKat said:

FYI - That deal is available through Sept 19 aka DWTS premiere date.

We have Disney+ as a $2.99 add-on to Hulu, which we got during last year's 99-cent Black Friday sale. (For $3.98 monthly, it's been great. Hoping for another good deal when the promo period expires.) Anyhow, current Hulu subscribers might check whether the $2.99 Disney+ add-on is available.

I'm curious about this. Obviously, the DWTS move is no problem for fans who already have Disney+. It's also a low hurdle for those accustomed to streaming, especially if they already rotate between services. But old school, technophobic, or recalcitrant viewers? It's hard to imagine TPTB would ignore them beyond possibly broadcasting the Finale on ABC. Having dances available on YouTube or Facebook--similar to SCD and DWTS in past seasons--would at least provide some context for non-DWTS+ viewers leading to Finals week.

FWIW - Mira Quien Baila returns to Univision in October. The show quality is inconsistent, but you may recognize several pro faces if you follow SYTYCD, DWTS and semi-related tours. It's in Spanish, extra cheesy, and (in previous seasons) drawn out to three hours. But it's free, if you have Univision in your broadcast market. <shrug>

I just tried to sign up and realized I'm not sure how this works.

Does anyone know if we have to also pay to have "Live TV" in order to see the show live at 8:00. I do a lot of streaming but have never dealt with watching a weekly show live before on a streaming channel.

To get the bundle w/ Hulu and Disney, Espn plus the Live TV it's $75 a month! I'm hoping that's for people that don't have cable or satellite.

Edited by Melonie77
  • Love 1

Yeah, I'm trying to figure out how to do this, too. We have a smart TV, but it's an older Magnavox and it doesn't have the Disney Plus app on it. From what I've read online it looks like I'd need some kind of stick or some other external device to connect to Disney Plus, or I'd need to find a way to connect my laptop to our TV to watch it. And I am not tech savvy enough to know how to do that. 

1 hour ago, Melonie77 said:

I just tried to sign up and realized I'm not sure how this works.

Does anyone know if we have to also pay to have "Live TV" in order to see the show live at 8:00. I do a lot of streaming but have never dealt with watching a weekly show live before on a streaming channel.

To get the bundle w/ Hulu and Disney, Espn plus the Live TV it's $75 a month! I'm hoping that's for people that don't have cable or satellite.

No, you do not need Live TV to watch DWTS on Disney+. You only need Dinsey+.

Check this Disney+ site for current pricing on just Disney+.

This site has details on $1.99 first month for new subscribers - expires today.

This site shows how current Hulu subscribers may qualify for the $2.99 monthly Disney+ add-on.

ETA: The Live TV for $75 is intended as a replacement for cable.

Edited by RomanKat
  • Thanks 1
  • Useful 1
1 minute ago, RomanKat said:

No, you do not need Live TV to watch DWTS on Disney+. You only need Dinsey+.

Check this Disney+ site for current pricing on just Disney+.

This site has details on $1.99 first month for new subscribers.

Current Hulu subscribers can check their account settings (manage account?) for add-ons to see if they qualify for the $2.99 Disney+ add-on.

Thanks RomanKat! Yeah I figured it out by going to ABC's site. I signed up for the $1.99 for the first month.

24 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

Yeah, I'm trying to figure out how to do this, too. We have a smart TV, but it's an older Magnavox and it doesn't have the Disney Plus app on it. From what I've read online it looks like I'd need some kind of stick or some other external device to connect to Disney Plus, or I'd need to find a way to connect my laptop to our TV to watch it. And I am not tech savvy enough to know how to do that. 

I've been streaming via my Blu-ray player but it seems to have broken down so for tonight I'll just watch DWTS on my laptop until I get a Roku. I've been meaning to get one anyway since Hulu no longer streams thru most Blu-rays.

• Useful 1
28 minutes ago, Melonie77 said:

I've been streaming via my Blu-ray player but it seems to have broken down so for tonight I'll just watch DWTS on my laptop until I get a Roku. I've been meaning to get one anyway since Hulu no longer streams thru most Blu-rays.

We have a blu-ray player. How does streaming on that work, generally? 

2 hours ago, Annber03 said:

We have a blu-ray player. How does streaming on that work, generally? 

Only some Blu-Ray players have the capability to stream - I believe you have to get one that has the option built in. That is how mine works - it's a BR player and streams w/ Wi-Fi. I have a Sony and it originally worked very well. I decided to go with this option about 5 years ago because I needed a new player for my DVDs so I figured I'd get 2 functions out of one gadget.

I was streaming very well with it until recently and use Amazon Prime, Netflix and YouTube. I used to have Hulu too but at some point about 3 years ago Hulu decided to stop functioning on most Blu-ray players.

I wouldn't recommend going the Blu-ray route now as it appears to be fading out. I have to play around with my BR device a bit to see if I can fix it but it won't stream at all right now. I'll just keep it for my DVDs and probably get a Roku to continue streaming especially since I want my Hulu back!

Tonight I was able to watch DWTS by signing up for Disney+ and watching on my laptop.

Edited by Melonie77
  • Useful 1

Thanks for the info :). Yeah, my mom and I looked on our blu-ray player and there are some apps on there (including Hulu!)...but Disney Plus is not one of them :(. And we didn't see a way to download it onto there. So looks like that option's out, too.

1 hour ago, Melonie77 said:

Tonight I was able to watch DWTS by signing up for Disney+ and watching on my laptop.

That would be the easiest option for me, too, right now, yeah. My big issue there is that my mom watches this show with me and two people trying to watch a show on a laptop is not the most ideal way to do so. But if that's the way we must go for now, I dunno, maybe that's what we have to do for the time being, unless we figure out a way to watch the show on our TV. 

3 hours ago, Annber03 said:

Thanks for the info :). Yeah, my mom and I looked on our blu-ray player and there are some apps on there (including Hulu!)...but Disney Plus is not one of them :(. And we didn't see a way to download it onto there. So looks like that option's out, too.

That would be the easiest option for me, too, right now, yeah. My big issue there is that my mom watches this show with me and two people trying to watch a show on a laptop is not the most ideal way to do so. But if that's the way we must go for now, I dunno, maybe that's what we have to do for the time being, unless we figure out a way to watch the show on our TV. 

I wonder if you could stream the show by getting the Hulu, Disney+ and ESPN bundle? If you go to the Hulu site you'll find the details.

Is your BR player a Sony? If I remember correctly Sony is the only brand Hulu will stream thru now but it's only some models and unfortunately no longer the one I have. But when Hulu made the change, the app disappeared from my device. If yours is still there it might be a viable way to reach Disney +.
Hulu has all the old seasons of the show too!

• Useful 1
3 hours ago, Melonie77 said:

I wonder if you could stream the show by getting the Hulu, Disney+ and ESPN bundle? If you go to the Hulu site you'll find the details.

Is your BR player a Sony? If I remember correctly Sony is the only brand Hulu will stream thru now but it's only some models and unfortunately no longer the one I have. But when Hulu made the change, the app disappeared from my device. If yours is still there it might be a viable way to reach Disney +.
Hulu has all the old seasons of the show too!

Oh! I totally forgot about the bundle option! I am subscribed to Hulu, so yeah, I should look into that. Thanks for the reminder :). I can't recall what brand our blu-ray player is right offhand at the moment, but I'll double check on that, too. 

2 hours ago, Annber03 said:

Oh! I totally forgot about the bundle option! I am subscribed to Hulu, so yeah, I should look into that. Thanks for the reminder :). I can't recall what brand our blu-ray player is right offhand at the moment, but I'll double check on that, too. 

Annber,

Not saying you need to buy one just for this show, but if you stream a lot then buying an Apple TV is totally worth it. They are around two hundred dollars at Best Buy and you can plug them into any TV. The reception is fabulous! I just clicked on a Disney+ button to watch. It was easy to do, and I'm a tech idiot, lol.

• Useful 1
18 hours ago, Annber03 said:

We've had the bundle before. It's three separate apps for Hulu, Disney+, and ESPN+. I don't think you can access Disney+ through Hulu. AFAIK, you would still need to download the Disney+ channel to your player.

15 hours ago, boyznkatz said:

Not saying you need to buy one just for this show, but if you stream a lot then buying an Apple TV is totally worth it. They are around two hundred dollars at Best Buy and you can plug them into any TV.

Or you could try a lower cost streaming device, provided your TV has an HDMI port. (A basic Roku Express is currently available for $25, per Google search.) We have an older "dumb" TV with Roku device added, and a newer "smart" Roku TV. Both work well with high-speed internet.

Edited by RomanKat
  • Useful 1
On 9/19/2022 at 4:22 PM, Annber03 said:

Take it from a true technophobe, that is the easiest thing ever as long as that ol' Magnavox smart TV has an HDMI port.  Connect the laptop to the TV with an HDMI cable, choose the proper source (e.g. HDMI 1, HDMI 2) and it's done.  This is exactly how I watch HBO Max on my big screen, since my Samsung Smart TV is also too old to download new apps.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, RomanKat said:

We've had the bundle before. It's three separate apps for Hulu, Disney+, and ESPN+. I don't think you can access Disney+ through Hulu. AFAIK, you would still need to download the Disney+ channel to your player.

Ah, okay, thanks for the clarification. I've heard about all these bundle things with streaming services, but I wasn't sure exactly how it all worked. Still something to potentially look at all the same, though.

And thanks to you and @sd dude for the HDMI suggestion, too. I do think our TV does have a setup for that, so that's another thing to look at, too :). 

On 9/15/2022 at 6:14 PM, Omeletsmom said:

Will it be available for streaming the next day?  I never watch live; I pretty much only watch the dances and the scores.

I'm wondering the same. I have Disney+ and don't see the episode available to watch, even two days later.

3 hours ago, SHD said:

I'm wondering the same. I have Disney+ and don't see the episode available to watch, even two days later.

For anyone having trouble finding the show:

Go to ABC's website and enter Disney + and DWTS from that route.

First go here:

https://abc.com/shows/dancing-with-the-stars

After you reach the page linked above, just click on "Go Now" and you will be brought right to the episode page with the first one working and ready to go.

You may be asked to log in if you have not been there before or recently. I did not have to - I was recognized after having watched the episode and voted from that route.

Also, someone said they couldn't see the group dance at the beginning - that is was cut off for come reason. It's working fine here so if you still haven't seen it you can now.

Edited by Melonie77
  • Useful 1
10 minutes ago, Melonie77 said:

For anyone having trouble finding the show:

Go to ABC's website and enter Disney + and DWTS from that route.

First go here:

https://abc.com/shows/dancing-with-the-stars

After you reach the page linked above, just click on "Go Now" and you will be brought right to the episode page with the first one working and ready to go.

You may be asked to log in if you have not been there before or recently. I did not have to - I was recognized after having watched the episode and voted from that route.

Also, someone said they couldn't see the group dance at the beginning - that is was cut off for come reason. It's working fine here so if you still haven't seen it you can now.

I tried this on my phone. I did not get a Go Now option, but got a Stream Now option. When I hit that, I got an error saying that the content was not available in my region. (?)

49 minutes ago, SHD said:

I tried this on my phone. I did not get a Go Now option, but got a Stream Now option. When I hit that, I got an error saying that the content was not available in my region. (?)

Oh, sorry I should have clarified that the steps were for a laptop and for those who are already signed up for Disney + which I also did via ABC's page.
Are you outside the US?

Here is another link to try - this goes right to the episode video but I don't know if it'll work unless you're using a viable device and are signed up for D+.

https://www.disneyplus.com/video/8df04140-42a2-4eab-a07a-7ef89824d23a

Hope you able to find the show. If this doesn't work maybe someone else can help you. I don't have an iPhone.

• Like 1

Just Jared posted next weeks’ dances. My fave Wayne will be fun, Selma I will hold my breath for her Jive,  I’ll be watching to see if Joseph can pull off the Viennese Waltz given his lyrical albeit huge arms, and I’m excited to see what the drag Queen can do to spice up the choreo with Gleb.  I’m also interested in Jordan’s dancing.  The others I’m sure will be great but these are the 5 that interest me the most so far.  https://www.justjaredjr.com/2022/09/21/dancing-with-the-stars-week-2-elvis-night-songs-dances-revealed/

• Love 1
On 9/16/2022 at 2:51 PM, realdancemom said:

I'm hoping the dances are on YouTube or their FB page sometime during the week.  It could be afterwards, I wouldn't care.  Don't know how this will work.  Most of their demographic is old like me and we don't have Disney+.  I know they're targeting younger people but they've been doing that for years and I don't think it's working.

For those of you who have a streaming device but don't have Disney+:

My mom is older too and DWTS is her favorite show. What I did was share my subscription with her. Disney+ can stream on four devices at the same time and they can be in different locations. So you may want to see if any close family members or friends already have Disney+ and would be willing to share their username and password with you.* They can create a profile for you to click on when you log in.

*Disclaimer: I know that, in general, sharing passwords is inadvisable. But for something like this, I personally think it’s fine. I love making my mom happy!

• Love 4

There are some, maybe all, of the current season dances on YouTube! I watched 2, Gabby, who was very good. And Charli, because I love Mark Ballas. 

It is plain that Charli is a professional dancer, her whole demeanor screams pro. I don't know how that works.

• Useful 1
16 hours ago, TVMovieBuff said:

There are some, maybe all, of the current season dances on YouTube!

Thank you for that info! I was able to watch Cheryl and Louis, and enjoyed it. It was rather sedate, but Cheryl did well and seemed to be really enjoying herself. Of course, it was great to see Louis again.

• Love 1
On 9/22/2022 at 2:15 PM, White Dog said:

Just Jared posted next weeks’ dances. My fave Wayne will be fun, Selma I will hold my breath for her Jive,  I’ll be watching to see if Joseph can pull off the Viennese Waltz given his lyrical albeit huge arms, and I’m excited to see what the drag Queen can do to spice up the choreo with Gleb.  I’m also interested in Jordan’s dancing.  The others I’m sure will be great but these are the 5 that interest me the most so far.  https://www.justjaredjr.com/2022/09/21/dancing-with-the-stars-week-2-elvis-night-songs-dances-revealed/

I really hope that's not the order they dance in. It would just be more obvious they are kissing Charli's ass letting the One famous only for dancing on Horrid Tik Tok dance last AGAIN. 

40 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

Daniella has tested positive for COVID so Joseph will be dancing with Alexis Warr tonight and they'll be wearing masks (and I assume Pasha/Teresa will as well). 

Personally, I think they shouldn't have either on the stage for risk of exposure to others; they SHOULD either show the rehearsal footage or pre-tape their dances without anyone present. 

They showed rehearsal footage last year for Cheryl/Cody. If Daniella/Joseph got that far in their rehearsals, TPTB should use the same precedent for them. 

• Like 1
  • Love 2
40 minutes ago, LexieLily said:

They showed rehearsal footage last year for Cheryl/Cody. If Daniella/Joseph got that far in their rehearsals, TPTB should use the same precedent for them. 

I think it's because both of them tested positive and were also not in California at the time (or one of them was, one of them wasn't). But yeah, the protocol should be NOT exposing other couples to COVID if someone tests positive. 

• Like 1