Type keyword(s) to search

In The Media: DWTS

• Start Topic

On 9/28/2022 at 8:44 PM, White Dog said:

Ugh so disappointed. No one's dancing to "A view to a Kill" from Duran Duran or "Live and Let Die" By Paul McCartney. IMO two of the best Bond Songs. Why am I not shocked The Tik Toker is dancing to Awful Billie Ellish?

• Mind Blown 1
  • Love 4
On 9/30/2022 at 6:53 AM, Josh371982 said:

Ugh so disappointed. No one's dancing to "A view to a Kill" from Duran Duran or "Live and Let Die" By Paul McCartney. IMO two of the best Bond Songs. Why am I not shocked The Tik Toker is dancing to Awful Billie Ellish?

Me too. I'm not a big fan of this theme - it seems too limited.
Maybe one of the two songs you mentioned will be used for the opening number.

I'm not crazy for some of the Bond songs and combined with them using their own band and not the original artists I doubt I will be thrilled with the music this week!

I read they will already be doing their Disney theme next week. IMO Disney songs have been over-done on the show.

I did like the Elvis theme and enjoyed the way they divided up the night into songs from the three eras of Elvis' career. I also thought it was a good idea to add the Elvis content into the program and I loved the opening number.

I wonder if every week will be a theme? Not sure how I feel about that.
They need to think carefully about what themes they pick. Maybe a music genre would be a good idea - like R&B/Funk/Motown😊:

Edited by Melonie77

I cannot wait to see Mark's ideas for the Simpsons. 

Hope Selma does OK with the quickstep. Her song is good.

Wayne should do well with Hamilton.

I don't know about Sam with the Paso Doble. 

“Dancing With The Stars’ | “Disney+ Night” Songs & Dance Styles Revealed – What's On Disney Plus (whatsondisneyplus.com)

https://whatsondisneyplus.com/dancing-with-the-stars-disney-night-songs-dance-styles-revealed/

Joseph Baena and pro Daniella Karagach will perform a Charleston to “A Star Is Born” from Hercules

Selma Blair and pro Sasha Farber will perform a Quickstep to “The Muppet Show Theme” from The Muppet Show

Wayne Brady and pro Witney Carson will perform a Jazz routine to “Wait for It” from Hamilton

Sam Champion and pro Cheryl Burke will perform a Paso Doble to “The Greatest Show” from The Greatest Showman

Charli D’Amelio and pro Mark Ballas will perform a Jazz routine to “‘The Simpsons’ Main Title Theme” from The Simpsons

Heidi D’Amelio and pro Artem Chigvintsev will perform a Viennese Waltz to “Chim Chim Cher-ee” from Mary Poppins

Jessie James Decker and pro Alan Bersten will perform a Jive to “One Way or Another” from Hocus Pocus 2

Trevor Donovan and pro Emma Slater will perform a Samba to “Life Is a Highway” from Cars

Daniel Durant and pro Britt Stewart will perform a Quickstep to “Finally Free” from High School Musical: The Musical: The Series

Vinny Guadagnino and pro Koko Iwasaki will perform a Samba to “Il Gatto E La Volpe” from Luca

Shangela and pro Gleb Savchenko will perform a Charleston to “Dig a Little Deeper” from The Princess and the Frog

Jordin Sparks and pro Brandon Armstrong will perform a Jazz routine to “Remember Me” from Coco

Gabby Windey and pro Val Chmerkovskiy will perform a Quickstep to “Mr. Blue Sky” from Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2

Edited by babyhouseman
add words
  • Thanks 1

I wonder if part of it with Gleb is that for the first time in years, he doesn’t feel the need to play the bad boy of the ballroom who may be getting a little to involved with his partner.  With Shangela, he has a talented and fun partner and zero pressure to have a flirtation for the cameras. 

• Like 1
  • Love 4
7 hours ago, DEL901 said:

I wonder if part of it with Gleb is that for the first time in years, he doesn’t feel the need to play the bad boy of the ballroom who may be getting a little to involved with his partner.  With Shangela, he has a talented and fun partner and zero pressure to have a flirtation for the cameras. 

Yes, that's a good point! Maybe Shangela has made Gleb comfortable about their relationship being a good friendship. They seem completely at ease with one another. He seems like a nice person and makes a point of showing appreciation for Gleb.
I don't know who I'm rooting for to win yet but I hope these 2 are there all the way to the finals. The judges picked on Shangela's feet this week - I hope he doesn't end up being some kind of surprise boot due to another dancer's possible bigger voting block.

• Love 1

Week 7 dance styles and music announced:

https://www.disneyplusinformer.com/dancing-with-the-stars-halloween-night-details-announced/

Here are the highlights:

Team Dances 

Team Wicked – “The Witches Are Back” from Hocus Pocus 2

Vinny & Koko, Shangela & Gleb, Gabby & Val, Heidi & Artem and Jordin & Brandon

Team Scream – “Heads Will Roll” by Yeah Yeah Yeahs

Trevor & Emma, Charli & Mark, Wayne & Witney and Daniel & Britt

The couples (along with their dance styles and songs) are the following:

Actor and singer Wayne Brady and pro Witney Carson will perform a Contemporary to “Halloween Theme” by District 78

TikTok star Charli D’Amelio and pro Mark Ballas will perform an Argentine Tango to “Tanguera” by Fabio Hager Sexteto

Heidi D’Amelio (“The D’Amelio Show”) and pro Artem Chigvintsev will perform a Tango to “I WANNA BE YOUR SLAVE” by Måneskin

TV star Trevor Donovan and pro Emma Slater will perform a Contemporary to “Ghost (Acoustic)” by Justin Bieber

Daniel Durant  (Oscar®-winning “CODA”) and pro Britt Stewart will perform a Paso Doble to “bury a friend” by Billie Eilish

Vinny Guadagnino (“Jersey Shore”) and pro Koko Iwasaki will perform a Paso Doble to “Get Ghost” by Mark Ronson, Passion Pit & A$AP Ferg

Drag queen superstar Shangela and pro Gleb Savchenko will perform a Jazz to “Look What You Made Me Do” by Taylor Swift

Platinum recording artist Jordin Sparks and pro Brandon Armstrong will perform a Tango to “Oogie Boogie’s Song” by Ed Ivory & Ken Page

Gabby Windey (“The Bachelorette”) and pro Val Chmerkovskiy will perform an Argentine Tango to “Shivers” by District 78 ft. Mikayla Lynn

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1

It looks like they are actually doing a little mini competition or battles between the competitors.  Here's my unscientific predictions

Argentine Tango Charli vs Gaby - Winner - Charli

I think Charli got a massive Argentine Tango song. I'm surprised Mark is going traditional, so given they are both strong technical dancers, I pick Charli on the music. The dynamics of traditional Argentine  music cannot be overstressed.

Tango - Heidi vs Jordin - Winner Heidi

Heidi vs Jordin - I pick Heidi to win it because Artem is so good at ballroom and the music they have is infectious. It's not Tango, but neither is Jordin's. 

Paso Doble - Vinny vs Daniel - Winner Daniel

The battle of the stompers! 

Vinny stomps but I think Daniel will be able to feel the beat and be less stompy. 

Contemporary   Wayne vs Trevor 

This will be Wayne's comeback - Wayne will win this head to head match. 

Jazz - Shangela

It's a perfect time for Shangela to shine without having to get nit picky on technique. Team Sheb will get the higher scores they're craving.

Thoughts? 

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, White Dog said:

It looks like they are actually doing a little mini competition or battles between the competitors.  Here's my unscientific predictions

Argentine Tango Charli vs Gaby - Winner - Charli

I think Charli got a massive Argentine Tango song. I'm surprised Mark is going traditional, so given they are both strong technical dancers, I pick Charli on the music. The dynamics of traditional Argentine  music cannot be overstressed.

Tango - Heidi vs Jordin - Winner Heidi

Heidi vs Jordin - I pick Heidi to win it because Artem is so good at ballroom and the music they have is infectious. It's not Tango, but neither is Jordin's. 

Paso Doble - Vinny vs Daniel - Winner Daniel

The battle of the stompers! 

Vinny stomps but I think Daniel will be able to feel the beat and be less stompy. 

Contemporary   Wayne vs Trevor 

This will be Wayne's comeback - Wayne will win this head to head match. 

Jazz - Shangela

It's a perfect time for Shangela to shine without having to get nit picky on technique. Team Sheb will get the higher scores they're craving.

Thoughts? 

I agree with your logic.  For Charli vs. Gabby, I prefer Gabby when it comes to emotions but appropriate music is important.  I do think that Gabby and Val will do an amazing AT though since I really like her tango. Maybe, the judges will score them evenly.

Shangela is going to shine in jazz because she's such a good performer just like when she was channeling JLo, Beyonce, etc. last week.

No competition between Vinny vs Daniel or Wayne vs Trevor.

Artem is good at ballroom and the judges want to keep tic toc mom on the show. 

• Love 2
15 hours ago, babyhouseman said:

Val's out Monday night. He has Covid. Alan will fill in.

Oh No! First of all I hope Val is OK and has a swift recovery!

Secondly, this is very disappointing for Gabby's journey on the show. Not only is is it hard to switch partners but IMO Alan is no where near the choreographer and dancer that Val is. Based on how cautious they were with Joseph and Dani I'm assuming this misfortune will probably affect next week too.

And I'm so sad to know we will miss Val's participation in the Halloween team dances.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Week 8 dance styles and information announced 

“Dancing With The Stars” – 90s Night Details Announced – What's On Disney Plus (whatsondisneyplus.com)

The couples (along with their dance styles and songs) are the following:

Wayne Brady & Witney Carson - Salsa to "Motownphilly" by Boyz II Men

Charli D'Amelio & Mark Ballas - Tango to "Song 2" by Blur

Heidi D'Amelio & Artem Chigvintsev - Contemporary to "Ironic" by Alanis Morisette

Trevor Donovan & Emma Slater - Salsa to "Barbie Girl" by Aqua

Daniel Durant & Britt Stewart - Jazz to "Enjoy the Silence" by Depeche Mode

Vinny Guadagnino & Koko Iwasaki - Tango to "What Is Love" by Haddaway

Shangela & Gleb Savchenko - Samba to "Spice Up Your Life" by Spice Girls

Gabby Windey & Val Chmerkovskiy - Samba to "Livin' La Vida Loca" by Ricky Martin

“90s Night” will also see the return of the Relay Dance competition where each winner will have the opportunity to earn five bonus points. All four Relay Dances will feature a live performance from one of the special guest artists – Vanilla Ice, En Vogue, Salt-N-Pepa and Kid ‘N Play.

Here are the RELAY match ups: 

Shangela & Gleb vs. Daniel & Britt - Cha-Cha to "Ice Ice Baby" performed by Vanilla Ice

Vinny & Koko vs. Trevor & Emma - Samba to "My Lovin' (You're Never Gonna Get It)" performed by En Vogue

Heidi & Artem vs. Wayne & Witney - Samba to "Shoop" performed by Salt-N-Peppa

Gabby & Val vs. Charli & Mark - Salsa to "Ain't Gonna Hurt Nobody" by Kid 'N Play

There will be a double elimination at the end of the episode. The six remaining couples will move on to the semi-finals on Nov. 14

Edited by White Dog
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

Will there be another DE on the November 14th episode or are there 5 pairs in the finale? I can't remember how it works.

We'll likely find out in next week's press release, or possibly during Monday night's show. Previously there have been 3-4 pairs in the finals. This season matched their largest ever field of 16 pairs, however, so they could justify 5 pairs.

• Useful 1

I am so glad they went back to the dancing instead of another theme night or Trio gimmick. This will be a good look at all contestants and how they handle similar dance styles. They are putting Wayne head to head against Shangela and Charli head to head against Gaby,  In terms of dance style.  It looks like Daniel will be competing against Wayne and Shangela for the first round and then Trevor goes up against Wayne and Shangela for the second round.  

• Love 5

Wow, what a huge disappointment with Gabby and Val's freestyle song choice!
Yuck! Not only do I dislike the song but it also appears to crush any hope of them doing any kind of fun hip hop / contemporary / jazz type dance. I thought the teams get to pick their own music for the finale.

Last week I mentioned that Gabby had been one of the few contestants to never dance either jazz or contemporary and I had hoped to see her at least do so in the finale. IMO the freedom to be creative with these dances is important to the overall body of work for each contestant.
I'm sure with her cheering experience that Gabby would have no trouble with a hip hop routine and if Val is uncomfortable choreographing one he could always get help. If they skip this opportunity it will be very surprising.

7 hours ago, babyhouseman said:

Bristol Palin and Mark did Cell Block Tango. I'm sure V and G's has to be better. lol

Oh gosh now I'm even more disappointed!! The song has the 'Bristol Palin Vote for the Worst' taint all over it!
Horrible freestyle / boring song.
Why Val, Why?

Edited by Melonie77

Shangela and Gleb have a great song. Are they going to do drag?

I like Wayne's song too.
However he has already incorporated a lot of hip hop into his dances so more of it might not be that special.

Edited by Melonie77

Mark and Charli's song is about the language of dance and I can see him choreographing something really cool to this despite it being such a tame song for a freestyle. Have they been given the best opportunity for a win with this song?

Edited by Melonie77
18 hours ago, Melonie77 said:

Val used the Cell Block song before w/ Laurie Hernandez...

I was going to mentioned this routine.  I can see Val and Gabby doing a great AT and burlesque jazz freestyle.  I forgot about Mark's and Bristol's version.  After watching the clip above, I can see why.  LOL!!

Looking forward to Gleb and Shangela's freestyle.  Previously, I mentioned that Wayne and Witney shouldn't have done so much hip-hop during the season since it won't be as special if they do hip hop for their freestyle.  I'm sure it will still be a good number.

Love Keone and Mari!!  Thanks for that clip.  The song is subdued but I can see a lot of intricate work using it.  It would have to be a couple like Mark and Charli to pull it off.

• Like 1

Cheryl Burke just announced that she will be doing her final dance as a pro on tomorrow night's finale: Cheryl's Instagram

I think we're definitely going to see a shake-up on the female side of the pro roster next season with Cheryl retiring and I'm guessing that Lindsay and Witney won't be back as pros (at least not for the 2023 season). They're both having babies in May and with each of them having two little ones and being based in Utah, it would make relocating to LA in order to work on DWTS very difficult. Sharna will probably be back in Fall 2023 and possibly Jenna since her baby is due in January. I think Alexis would be up to the task of being promoted from the troupe since she did well pinch-hitting for Daniella with Joseph this season.

• Like 1
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, BrainyBlonde said:

Cheryl Burke just announced that she will be doing her final dance as a pro on tomorrow night's finale: Cheryl's Instagram

Nooooo, I love Cheryl! They've been screwing her on partners giving her the Louis Van Amstel treatment, and I was hoping to see her squeeze out another win at some point in the near future. 

Oh well. 

• Love 2
38 minutes ago, funnygirl said:

Nooooo, I love Cheryl! They've been screwing her on partners giving her the Louis Van Amstel treatment, and I was hoping to see her squeeze out another win at some point in the near future. 

Oh well. 

My first thought was that she would be moving into Len's vacated judge's seat next season, but her announcement made it sound as if she was leaving DWTS full stop. She said she was interested in focusing on podcasting and being an advocate for mental health, which are things she's posted about a lot in the last few years. It will be a shame to lose her in the ballroom as she was the OG female dancer on DWTS. I guess Peta and Sharna will move into that position now.

• Love 1
21 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

So, yet another DWTS pro will be growing their family next year. Danielle Karagach is pregnant!

That makes the fourth DWTS baby in 2023 and the third to be due in May.

Baby Boom! How wonderful! Imagine Dani has been dancing since she found out opening night then did that insane Cha Cha bumper with Sasha mid season, not to mention the crazy tricks with Joseph. She says she’ll be back next season. Oh to be an elite athlete! By far my favourite pro for so many reasons 

Edited by White Dog

Former DWTS pro Allison Holker's husband has passed away.  https://people.com/tv/stephen-twitch-boss-dead-at-40/

"Stephen "tWitch" Boss has died at age 40.

Boss' wife, Allison Holker Boss, confirmed his passing in a statement issued to PEOPLE.

"It is with the heaviest of hearts that I have to share my husband Stephen has left us," Allison, 34, began. "Stephen lit up every room he stepped into. He valued family, friends and community above all else and leading with love and light was everything to him. He was the backbone of our family, the best husband and father, and an inspiration to his fans."

"To say he left a legacy would be an understatement, and his positive impact will continue to be felt," she continued. "I am certain there won't be a day that goes by that we won't honor his memory. We ask for privacy during this difficult time for myself and especially for our three children."

Closing her statement, Allison shared a message for her husband. "Stephen, we love you, we miss you, and I will always save the last dance for you," she concluded."

Edited by MMLEsq
Added content from linked article.
  • Sad 9

Mark Ballas is out. He is officially retiring from the series as pro dancer.

Mark Ballas has won his final mirror ball trophy.

The professional ballroom dancer, who rose to fame over 20 total seasons on Dancing with the Stars, has announced his official retirement from the Disney+ reality series.

Ballas made the announcement at the conclusion of the final leg of the Dancing With the Stars live tour on Sunday night. "I've done 20 seasons now," said Ballas, according to E!. "I started this journey when I was 21, 22 and honestly being able to dance and perform for you fans—you guys are the best fans."

"My mom is here tonight, my dad is here tonight, my wife is here tonight, my wife's mom and dad are here tonight," he added. "I just want to finish this by saying that this will be the last time you see me dance in this capacity. I'm coming to a close tonight. This is going to be my last dance."

Ballas returned to Dancing With the Stars for season 31, after having not competed on the show since season 25 in 2017. He won the mirror ball trophy this past season alongside partner, TikTok star Charli D'Amelio.

The actor and performer first joined the show as a pro ballroom dancer in season 5. He went on to win the sixth season with former Olympic figure skater Kristi Yamiguchi, and he won again in season 8 with Olympic gymnast Shawn Johnson. His victory with D'Amelio marked his third and final victory.

Still, Ballas is leaving the door open to return to the ballroom in other capacities. He could come back merely for an exhibition dance. Additionally, there will be an open spot on the judging panel after head judge Len Goodman announced his retirement at the end of last season.

"Thank you guys for a lifetime of memories," he said. "I appreciate it. I'm not saying this is the end. This is just the last time I'll be dancing with a partner."

He isn't the only pro dancer hanging up his shoes after season 31. Cheryl Burke also previously announced her retirement.

Ballas declined to comment further and representatives for the show also declined to comment.

https://ew.com/tv/mark-ballas-retiring-dancing-with-the-stars-competition/?utm_campaign=entertainmentweekly_entertainmentweekly&utm_content=new&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_term=640fafdd6f60e8000103f40c