Type keyword(s) to search

In The Media: DWTS

• Start Topic

(edited)
2 hours ago, Annber03 said:

I hate this trend of network stuff going to streaming - I know streaming is the big thing nowadays, but not everything needs to move there. 

We're screwed if we want to fast-forward or rewind, also, because as far as I know those functions don't work on streaming. Right? We watched Yellowstone on Amazon Prime a few nights ago and you could pause but not rewind or FF. Even when we watch cable shows on On Demand you can't rewind or FF.

Edited by LexieLily
  • Like 1
  • Love 2

This is completely bizarre - I don't see DWTS being a good fit for Disney+ at all. Maybe they should have moved it to be a Hulu original instead. Isn't the viewership for this show pretty old? They are not going to subscribe to D+ for this! I have streaming only and I do have Disney+, but if Tyra is staying there is no way I'm watching this......What on earth are they thinking?!???

• Love 7
14 minutes ago, Ilovepie said:

What on earth are they thinking?!???

I’m pretty sure they were thinking, “it’s either this or we’re going to cancel it outright.”

Because if they thought it could make money on network, they would have kept it on network.

• Love 12
34 minutes ago, LexieLily said:

We're screwed if we want to fast-forward or rewind, also, because as far as I know those functions don't work on streaming. Right? We watched Yellowstone on Amazon Prime a few nights ago and you could pause but not rewind or FF. Even when we watch cable shows on On Demand you can't rewind or FF.

I believe you can FFW or RW on Prime but have to hold the button down. 

I don’t know how streaming works on Disney+ since I don’t have that and probably won’t subscribe just for this show. Presumably if it’s shown live, there wouldn’t be any FFW?

Content is getting too broken up. I’m not subscribing or paying for 5 or 6 different services to watch one show on each or something like that.

• Love 5
29 minutes ago, Blue Plastic said:

I don’t know how streaming works on Disney+ since I don’t have that and probably won’t subscribe just for this show. Presumably if it’s shown live, there wouldn’t be any FFW?

I think it's going to depend on what Disney does - they have announced that they are launching an ad-supported tier later this year, and I would guess this is going to coincide with this show's launch. If you are paying for that tier, then you probably won't be able to FF.......

• Love 2
2 hours ago, 853fisher said:

Many of the people I know who watch are older and prefer not to deal with apps etc.

Yeah, I know people watch the show like my mother who have no interest in streaming. I read somewhere DWTS had the largest demographic of older people compared to other reality shows. 

• Love 4

No way I'm buying Disney+ to watch this show. And the fact that Tyra will still be hosting is even more reason not to even consider it. It's just one less show to watch.

• Applause 1
  • Love 6

Someone at ABC is a real idiot.  They killed the show when Tom was fired and now nailed the coffin shut by moving it to a streaming service.  It Doesn't really matter to me because I stopped watching when Tyra became the host.   Plus, I canceled my Disney+ subscription last week.  I don't get this move at all.  Just cancel it.

• Love 9
(edited)
17 hours ago, Annber03 said:

If they're going to show football on Monday nights instead, I wonder what that'll mean for "The Good Doctor", if they'll move it to another night. I hope so, 'cause that way I wouldn't have to worry about the show being delayed because a football game ran over or something. But that's a whole other topic. 

It’s possible that they’ll start The Good Doctor after football is over. Then it will run mostly straight through with no “Fall Break””Winter break””Spring break”. That’s what they do with the CBS and NBC shows when Football is on Thursday nights.

Dancing With The Stars is one of those shows that I will flip on when I need some mindless watching. I’m probably not going to fire up the Disney+ app to watch. 

Edited by chitowngirl
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

This was one of the few shows I still watched on network tv. Welp, not anymore. I won’t be subscribing to Disney plus either. They aren’t even the same audience. Maybe they think grandparents will subscribe for their grandkids to watch movies?

• Love 3
18 hours ago, kitcloudkicker said:

Huh, interesting, this actually makes it easier for me to watch as the only time I ever miss network tv is for live stuff (this dumb show, dumb awards ceremonies, sports.)

I actually wonder if this will give them the freedom to drop some of the gimmicks, as streaming shows usually aren’t as beholden to the “ratings at all cost” mindset that gets you the most network meddling. 

I think given they and Disney+ are owned by Disney, they will continue with the Disney theme nights and probably do more synergy

• Love 1

I don't subscribe to any streaming services and though I was a huge DWTS fan,  am not subscribing for one show. DWTS & I will just part company, unless some other way for me to watch presents itself. 

I guess I can still find out info on it. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, DanaK said:

I think given they and Disney+ are owned by Disney, they will continue with the Disney theme nights and probably do more synergy

Yeah, I think Disney (and other theme nights) would definitely stick around, but they’d maybe (and it might be a big maybe) be able to drop the really forced ones like, “Britney Spears has been in the news lately, jam in a theme night about that to try and get into the news cycle.”

• Love 2
On 4/8/2022 at 5:07 PM, Ilovepie said:

This is completely bizarre - I don't see DWTS being a good fit for Disney+ at all. Maybe they should have moved it to be a Hulu original instead. Isn't the viewership for this show pretty old? They are not going to subscribe to D+ for this! I have streaming only and I do have Disney+, but if Tyra is staying there is no way I'm watching this......What on earth are they thinking?!???

Probably has to do with ownership. Hulu isn't exclusively owned by Disney, Disney+ is.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

My local breakfast show said there’s a rumour Tyra is out.   Apparently she may have deleted her Instagram due to blow back over ANTM….blowing up because old seasons are now on Prime and people are rewatching…

• Useful 3
8 hours ago, DEL901 said:

My local breakfast show said there’s a rumour Tyra is out.   Apparently she may have deleted her Instagram due to blow back over ANTM….blowing up because old seasons are now on Prime and people are rewatching…

A few months ago, I was rewatching (listening while doing other things) ANTM on Hulu. I was on season 14 and overnight most of the seasons were pulled from Hulu and I couldn’t find the, anywhere, except to pay on Amazon Pirme.

It was odd, but I do think it is all related. She got worse and worse each season, not to mention many problematic and dangerous photo shoots.

• Love 1
On 4/12/2022 at 12:34 PM, DEL901 said:

There's been blowback over problematic ANTM behavior/photoshoots every couple of years and nothing's happened so far.

• Useful 1
On 4/12/2022 at 1:34 PM, DEL901 said:

Please please do NOT bring Tyra back!

Does anyone think there's a chance Tom would return?

• Love 2

In the season prior, ABC attempted to keep the show fresh by replacing Tom Bergeron and Erin Andrews with new host Tyra Banks. The mastermind behind America’s Next Top Model polarized viewers with her awkward small talk and garish gowns but the audience grew. Fans still wanted their ballroom fix.

This paragraph has a few lies: "keep the show fresh" my ass.  They punished Tom for speaking out about the right wing political casting.

"Mastermind"?

Anybody think "the audience grew"?  By what metric?  The "we made a big mistake hiring Tyra and we don't want to admit it" metric?

When the show was first on, it wasn't so obvious that Disney owned ABC but it sure got more and more obvious as the years progressed.  I found this distressing because I find Disney to be a repulsive corporation.  

• Love 7
On 5/20/2022 at 1:58 PM, Gueststars said:

Ok, here’s the latest 

There’s a possibility that dwts finale will be live on abc 

Derek and Bruno are back as judges. 

Having only the finale live on ABC is such a stupid idea.  Most of the time, I don't know most of the contestants and I only get invested while watching the show.  That's when I choose my favorites based on how well they dance, their partnership, attitude, etc.

• Love 9
5 hours ago, realdancemom said:

Having only the finale live on ABC is such a stupid idea.  Most of the time, I don't know most of the contestants and I only get invested while watching the show.  That's when I choose my favorites based on how well they dance, their partnership, attitude, etc.

It’s more likely done to fill the time since the finale will air around thanksgiving. 

I'm not a professional about this in any way, but I know some things about sex addiction and coaddicts tend to have a type (sex addicts), so this may explain people's instinctive reactions to Gleb and his peccadilloes:

"While she [Jana] was separated from now ex-husband Mike Caussin as he sought treatment for sex addiction at the time,[Gleb] Savchenko was married to Elena Samodanova."

It's my understanding that if you've spent time bundled with sex addicts and their partners, that above statement is just like saying 95% chance Gleb is a sex addict just based on that alone.

• Useful 1
2 hours ago, kitcloudkicker said:

Those wanting a return to tradition might be getting their wish:

‘Dancing With The Stars’: Conrad Green In Advanced Talks To Return As Exec Producer

43 minutes ago, kitcloudkicker said:

And I still don’t think he’s likely coming back but seems like this might put a tiny crack in a door that was previously firmly closed. 🤔

Will either of those things get DWTS off streaming and back to network TV?

• Useful 2
On 7/14/2022 at 9:11 AM, LexieLily said:

I didn't figure Tyra's ego would allow a co-host.

Truer words...etc.

11 hours ago, MsJamieDornan said:

Crap. I really thought Tyra was a goner.

Ditto on the Crap!  One more TV fiasco to SKIP!

Happy No Problem GIF by Jonas Mosesson

• Love 3

According to this article in The Sun the budget has been so deeply cut for DWTS that they are offering the pros $1600 per episode compared to the usual $5200!

I wonder how true this is?
The article is from July 8th and the info about Tyra not coming back is unfortunately not true as far as we know. But I'm assuming the budget info is correct?

I can't see how they would expect the dancers to take such a huge pay cut and I'm guessing that if this is indeed correct it's going to have a major impact on the show.

https://www.the-sun.com/entertainment/5732432/dwts-pro-cast-hit-massive-pay-cuts-disney-plus/

What does this low budget mean for the other expenses on the series?

Also, the rumors of which 'stars' that have been cast this year are IMO the worst group ever. Add to that the change to streaming and the fact that Tyra is coming back, and I don't think there is much to look forward to. So very very disappointing!😢

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
21 hours ago, Soapy Goddess said:

Makes you wonder if they're trying to sabotage their own show...which is probably the only way to get rid of Tyra. Just put a fork in it already....

It's my understanding that the reason ABC dropped the show was due to Tyra. She is allegedly the cause of the ratings tanking. There was a huge petition asking for her firing - I don't know why they can't get her to go. They should have gotten rid of her and given the series another chance on ABC.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, LexieLily said:

If anybody off that rumored cast list is true, I cannot believe (and yet I can sadly absolutely believe it) that DWTS would want Jamie Lynn Spears. 

I agree. And usually at this point with the stars normally starting to rehearse about a month ahead of time we have way more rumors floating around about who is participating.
But this year there are only about 4 names being tossed about and there are NO well-know people.
I think in the past 'sleuths' have figured out what stars signed up by checking out the dancers' social media. But how can that be done if we don't know what dancer's will be willing to participate for such a big reduction in pay?

On 8/18/2022 at 10:28 PM, Melonie77 said:

According to this article in The Sun the budget has been so deeply cut for DWTS that they are offering the pros $1600 per episode compared to the usual $5200!

I wonder how much Tyra and Alfonso are getting per ep.  And you know the judges won't take a pay cut (except for maybe Inaba, since she basically has nothing to fall on).

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Melonie77 said:

It's my understanding that the reason ABC dropped the show was due to Tyra. She is allegedly the cause of the ratings tanking. There was a huge petition asking for her firing - I don't know why they can't get her to go. They should have gotten rid of her and given the series another chance on ABC.

But ABC is owned by Disney (or vice versa), so isn't that the same thing? When Tyra first came on as host, I read that she also got herself a deal as producer, so that's probably why they can't get rid of her. Very unfortunate for us/network viewers 😒

• Love 3