Type keyword(s) to search

In The Media: DWTS

• Start Topic

He also talked about how the experience was so traumatizing for a big man carrying only a backpack with the implication of how awful it must be for children and women and those they ing to salvage something of their lives in suitcases as they flea. 

• Love 4
(edited)
39 minutes ago, kitcloudkicker said:

I’m uncomfortable with a) suggesting US citizens should be forced to fight for a foreign government or b) Monday morning quarterbacking someone’s life or death decisions in the middle of an active war.

Like I said, I'm not judging him for doing whatever he could to get out, I just find it insensitive of him to broadcast it on social media, while millions of Ukrainian men his age don't have the option to leave. Hundreds of thousands of those men are accompanying their wives and children to the border (because it's not safe for them to go alone), then separating there, not knowing if they'll ever see each other again. Maks is getting to go home to his wife and child in a peaceful country. Which, again, I don't begrudge him at all, but that's hardly the same ordeal that most other Ukrainians are experiencing right now.

And I also wasn't suggesting that US citizens should be forced to fight, just saying that if someone is a dual US/Ukrainian citizen, they're under Ukrainian jurisdiction while in Ukraine. That's how dual citizenship works (which I now know is not the case with Maks, so it's a moot point in this discussion anyway).

Edited by chocolatine
  • Love 2
28 minutes ago, chocolatine said:

I just find it insensitive of him to broadcast it on social media, while millions of Ukrainian men his age don't have the option to leave

I just think “broadcast” is a bit of a strong word for what he seems to be doing. I’ve been no Maks-defender in the past (though fandom or no fandom feels shallow to bring into in this circumstance) but he seems to have been using his posts to give status updates on himself, and then sharing the hardships of the situation for everyone else. He’s been pretty consistently in a, “don’t worry about me, I’m fine and have resources, but please help these other people” kind of message, and he also seems to be using his Instagram to communicate his status to people he knows - he posted one message that was like, “if you’ve texted me and haven’t heard back I’m really only communicating with my family but know I’m okay.” Doing things like that can take the burden off of his family having to field those messages. I dunno, I just kinda feel like social media is complicated, and even more complicated during a something like this, because you’re never only talking to one audience. He seemed to me to be 50% posting status updates on himself so his loved ones know he’s okay, and processing what he’s been seeing and hearing from friends, and 50% posting videos from other sources, of people under active attack, trying to call attention to what others are going through.

• Like 1
  • Love 12
56 minutes ago, chocolatine said:

While he himself did nothing to help.

Speaking out is not nothing and I don't know how anyone who wasn't with him say one way or another what else he did to help while he was there. There are ways to help that don't involve picking up a gun.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 15
4 hours ago, Dots And Stripes said:

Speaking out is not nothing and I don't know how anyone who wasn't with him say one way or another what else he did to help while he was there. There are ways to help that don't involve picking up a gun.

If he had so much as lifted a finger for anyone while he was there, he would have posted multiple Instagram videos about it. He's milking the situation for every ounce of publicity that he can. How do you think TMZ knew what time his flight was landing at LAX, knew exactly where Peta would be waiting for him, and were able to get unobstructed close-up shots of them hugging? Because Maks and/or Peta wanted their picture taken by a national tabloid in that "emotional" moment and gave TMZ all the details.

Again, I don't blame Maks for doing everything he could to ensure his own safety, and I'm happy for him and his family that he made it out, but let's be clear that he's a self-serving celebrity first and foremost, and NOT a hero or champion of the Ukrainian people.

• Love 8
(edited)
On 3/3/2022 at 12:14 AM, chocolatine said:

If he had so much as lifted a finger for anyone while he was there, he would have posted multiple Instagram videos about it. He's milking the situation for every ounce of publicity that he can. How do you think TMZ knew what time his flight was landing at LAX, knew exactly where Peta would be waiting for him, and were able to get unobstructed close-up shots of them hugging? Because Maks and/or Peta wanted their picture taken by a national tabloid in that "emotional" moment and gave TMZ all the details.

Again, I don't blame Maks for doing everything he could to ensure his own safety, and I'm happy for him and his family that he made it out, but let's be clear that he's a self-serving celebrity first and foremost, and NOT a hero or champion of the Ukrainian people.

Or maybe TMZ asked for his information so they could be there to film the reunion.

There was no guarantee Maks was going to get out of Ukraine in one piece, which is probably why he started an IG diary. It gave many of us an up close, on the ground update of exactly what was happening on a daily basis. 

Regardless, I'm glad Maks made it home safely. I seriously doubt he was thinking about publicity and how his IG reports were going to further his career while rockets were being shot around him.

Edited by MsTree
wrong country
  • Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 7

It's easy for those of us sitting here in the comfort and safety of our homes to judge what others do or do not do in any situation.  But unless we have been in the middle of a city that is being pounded into rubble by missiles, knowing we could die at any minute, we cannot know what that is like.

Maks's main goal was to communicate with the people close to him and let them know how he was doing.  We do not have his full story.  We shouldn't assume he did nothing to help anyone else, although I don't know what he could have done (any suggestions?)  No doubt now that he is home he will be approached to do interviews, and he can tell us everything about his experience.  We have mainly the media to show us the bigger picture, but he can speak for the people.  Let's give him the benefit of the doubt.

• Sad 1
  • Love 12
9 hours ago, chocolatine said:

I agree with you.  He was there to promote his reality show (which I'm sure means $$$ for him).  War breaks out, he flees and then comes back to the U.S.  Now he is telling the world that they have to stand behind Ukraine and support them.

I get it, he was concerned for his safety.  But it seems kind of odd to me that he gets home and then criticises the world for not sending troops over to help Ukraine.  I also found the fact that he complained about being in a crowded train compartment with 12 people that was only meant for 3 people a bit distasteful.  I mean really, plenty of Ukrainian men don't have the ability to get out.  I'm sure many Ukrainian men would have welcomed the privilege to be in a train compartment for 12.

I think it would have been better for him to have not tweeted about his escape and how the train ride gave him grey hair. Just wait until he got home and then say something like Vera Farmiga, Kathryn Winnick and other celebrities with Ukrainian heritage have done.

• Love 5
(edited)
12 hours ago, treeofdreams said:

It's easy for those of us sitting here in the comfort and safety of our homes to judge what others do or do not do in any situation.  But unless we have been in the middle of a city that is being pounded into rubble by missiles, knowing we could die at any minute, we cannot know what that is like.

Some of my family and friends are in this exact situation in different cities in Ukraine (Lviv and Odessa), unable to get out, and those of us in the US and Western Europe are on frantic, tearful calls every day trying to figure out how we can help them stay safe. So, while I'm personally not in that situation, I do have a good idea of what it's like for regular people trapped in this nightmare, people who don't have the resources and connections that Maks has.

12 hours ago, treeofdreams said:

We have mainly the media to show us the bigger picture, but he can speak for the people.

He most certainly, 100%, unequivocally, does not "speak for the people."

He was in a position of privilege that allowed him to get out of a dangerous situation at a time when the most vulnerable populations (e.g. mothers with young children, the sick and elderly) are being prioritized. There's no way he got the spot on the train going directly to Poland without pulling many strings and greasing many palms. Most of the refugees have to walk many miles to the border in freezing temperatures and wait long hours (and in some cases days) to be able to cross. There are stories of mothers crossing on foot with their newborns, praying their babies don't freeze to death. Maks got to ride on a train all the way, and still had the gall to complain about how crowded and uncomfortable it was.

He got to go back to his home in a prosperous country, where he and his closest family members live in safety and luxury. "The people" are having their families torn apart, and are fleeing their only homes into uncertain futures, most of them with very few resources. Maks never has, and likely will never have to, experience anything close to that situation. 

Edited by chocolatine
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3

For those of you who are criticizing him, I am curious to know what you think he should have done.

As he stated, his main goal was to communicate his status to his family, so not posting was not an option.

So what  exactly are you criticizing him for?

• Like 1
  • Love 6
19 minutes ago, treeofdreams said:

For those of you who are criticizing him, I am curious to know what you think he should have done.

As he stated, his main goal was to communicate his status to his family, so not posting was not an option.

If his main goal was to communicate his status to his family, why couldn't he have called them, or texted them or sent them a private message?

He comes across as kind of entitled and spoiled.  He had a to share a train compartment with 12 others!  But the compartment was only meant for 3!  Oh the humanity!  I'm sure plenty of Ukrainians would have gladly suffered the "indignity" of being crammed into a crowded train compartment if it meant they too could leave the country.  I mean, why would he whine and complain about that when he should know that there are thousands/millions who couldn't be afforded the same privileges he got?

If he had to tweet to the world about it, how about a simple "I am safe" message instead of whining about the train?

• Love 3
22 minutes ago, treeofdreams said:

His status could have been communicated much more succinctly and without publicly complaining about the crowded train, his self-indulgent feelings of "guilt," and how much therapy he's going to need.

All he needed to share was "I'm looking for ways to get out" - "I made it to Poland" - "I'm back in LA."  

• Love 4
5 hours ago, blackwing said:

If his main goal was to communicate his status to his family, why couldn't he have called them, or texted them or sent them a private message?

He comes across as kind of entitled and spoiled.  He had a to share a train compartment with 12 others!  But the compartment was only meant for 3!  Oh the humanity!  

Maks has always come across that way to me. I was so pleased when he, with his entitled attitude, stale choreo, and overhyped looks, retired from the show. Good to hear he is safe, though.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, anonymiss said:

Maks has always come across that way to me. I was so pleased when he, with his entitled attitude, stale choreo, and overhyped looks, retired from the show. Good to hear he is safe, though.

I'm sorry, I used the laughing emoji because this comment literally made me laugh out loud. Because it's like, I think you're a shitty, famewhoring, crappy Pro but hey, I'm glad you're alive.

• Sad 1
  • LOL 4
18 hours ago, MsTree said:

Or maybe TMZ asked for his information so they could be there to film the reunion.

There was no guarantee Maks was going to get out of Russia in one piece, which is probably why he started an IG diary. It gave many of us an up close, on the ground update of exactly what was happening on a daily basis. 

Regardless, I'm glad Maks made it home safely. I seriously doubt he was thinking about publicity and how his IG reports were going to further his career while rockets were being shot around him.

yes, he was lucky and blessed to get out safely, however, he wasn’t in Russia, he was in Ukraine.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Stats Queen said:

yes, he was lucky and blessed to get out safely, however, he wasn’t in Russia, he was in Ukraine.

My mistake...had Russia on my mind. Obviously, I meant Ukraine.

Anyway, thank you for bringing it to my attention. I will correct it now.

• Love 1
(edited)

Maks has been extraordinarily clear that others are suffering more than he is. I don't think that means he can't or shouldn't talk about his own experience. 

There's no one I've watched on a silly reality show that I want to see suffer or die in a warzone. I had no idea that would be a controversial stance.

Edited by Dots And Stripes
  • Love 16
1 hour ago, Dots And Stripes said:

There's no one I've watched on a silly reality show that I want to see suffer or die in a warzone. I had no idea that would be a controversial stance.

Nobody here wants to see Maks suffer or die. Some of us just aren't happy with how he's exploiting the situation for his own publicity and complaining about things that are trivial in comparison to what millions of people are experiencing right now.

• Love 3

I've looked at Maks' Instagram page, and his pictures from Ukraine are horrifying and heartbreaking.  While I respect everyone's different opinions on how he's handled this I'm hopeful that he can actually be of more help here in helping raise awareness of what he saw and also in terms of raising money to help the Ukranian people.  

The network shows have been pretty careful about not showing the really graphic photos, but Maks posted a few that will break your heart.  I think the world needs to see those pictures.  Sigh.  

• Useful 2
  • Love 7
16 hours ago, Bliss said:

Not sure where to post this... just thought fans of dancing might enjoy "Step Into... the Movies... with Derek and Julianne Hough" - the dancing is excellent!

I was looking for a place to comment as well. It was well done! I didn’t like the disco routine much but that’s my era and I am super critical about how it’s presented. The rest was a lot of fun. 

• Love 1
16 hours ago, Bliss said:

Not sure where to post this... just thought fans of dancing might enjoy "Step Into... the Movies... with Derek and Julianne Hough" - the dancing is excellent!

I really enjoyed it.  I wasn't sure if I should post it on SYTYCD alumni thread too since I saw a bunch of them on this show.

• Love 3

I don’t know if this 100% goes here, but it’s fun. Derek directed the latest Michael Buble video. Hayley’s in it, and I guess it should also go in the SYTYCD alumni projects because most of the choreo is from Phillip Chbeeb (one of my favorites) and Makenzie Dustman. 

• Love 4
(edited)
14 minutes ago, LizDC said:

A real good news/bad news type situation here. I have Disney+ but I mostly stopped watching years ago because I got bored watching ballroom dancing. But it's one of those surprised yet not surprised situations given the ratings slide over the years. But apparently ABC is bringing back Monday Night Football so likely it's a big reason for the move, as I think ABC has been yearning for years to bring back football after ESPN took Monday Night Football. In an interesting move, it appears Dancing will be shown live on Disney+, a first for the streamer

Edited by DanaK
  • Useful 2
  • Love 2

We don't have Disney Plus, and I don't know that we'd get it just for this, either. I hate this trend of network stuff going to streaming - I know streaming is the big thing nowadays, but not everything needs to move there. 

If they're going to show football on Monday nights instead, I wonder what that'll mean for "The Good Doctor", if they'll move it to another night. I hope so, 'cause that way I wouldn't have to worry about the show being delayed because a football game ran over or something. But that's a whole other topic. 

Anywho, eh, yeah, I'd prefer "Dancing" just stay on network TV, but I do wonder how many people will subscribe for this show. 

• Love 3

Well, this sucks. I'm not getting Disney+ just to watch DWTS. Doesn't it have a lot of older viewers? I don't see this move generating many new subscribers. It would have made sense to move it to Sunday, but I guess it not being a moneymaker anymore factored into the decision. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
(edited)

I think this will be the deathblow to the show, honestly, at least for the viewers that loved DWTS the way it was. Maybe I'm an outlier for my age (mid-30s) but I don't have any streaming services that I pay for and rarely use the ones that came bundled with the internet plan, so unless I write it down in big capital letters on a sticky-note somewhere I am not going to remember to physically sign on to a streaming service every Monday night for three months.

Edited by LexieLily
  • Love 3

I have pretty much every streaming service except Disney+. I'm not interested in Marvel and DWTS is not enough to entice me to subscribe for a few months. I have a feeling a lot of changes are in store, and not good ones. 

• Love 2

Huh, interesting, this actually makes it easier for me to watch as the only time I ever miss network tv is for live stuff (this dumb show, dumb awards ceremonies, sports.)

I actually wonder if this will give them the freedom to drop some of the gimmicks, as streaming shows usually aren’t as beholden to the “ratings at all cost” mindset that gets you the most network meddling. 

• Love 3

In general, I don't think the increasing "siloization" of pop culture into ever more services is a good thing, from the consumer or overall societal perspectives.

It will be interesting to see whether scheduling flexibility allows them to resolve some of the problems that have come up over the years, like voting in all time zones.

Otherwise, I don't think this portends well for the show.  Many of the people I know who watch are older and prefer not to deal with apps etc.  I just don't "get" this move.

• Love 7