Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E01: Fake News

9 minutes ago, SailorGirl said:

hilary@youcouldhavehadme.com  I could not love this more, ESPECIALLY today. . . 

Hillary's cameo was fun though it wasn't that funny.  Hillary did a great job.

At the end of the show, I laughed out loud at the tweets and responses.

• Love 20

Honestly, I wasn't expecting much, but I really enjoyed this.  Some great throwbacks to the original series (esp the Arethaforever password) and I thought some of the former cast members got nice sendoffs.  I do think Jim will make an appearance eventually.  But I understand why he's not on the show.

The cast fit into their old roles like a slipper.  Speaking of which, I missed Miles so much.  Once his neurotic self showed up, then it felt real.

• Love 16

For reference, I wasn't an avid watcher of the show back then and I came home late and only saw the last half.

This felt exactly how Will and Grace 2.0 started: a LOT of Trump jokes which I hope means they get it out of their system now.  (I'm not a Trump fan but I need a detox from the jokes as well.)  But at least the cast gelled quickly enough that I hope the second episode improves.

10 minutes ago, Chaos Theory said:

I laughed out loud when they used Hillary Clinton for the secretary bit.   She’s not  a half bad actress.  Might have missed her calling.

She was able to land most of her lines when she appeared on SNL, especially when she's playing against "herself" (Amy Poehler and Kate McKinnon) so I was expecting more of the same here.

I did love her tribute to Aretha. 

• Love 7

I loved this..although it felt forced in parts..a bit of "trying too hard" in others. I loved the Hilary spot (and I didn't vote for her). Loved the relationship of Murphy and Avery...the "ArethaForever" as a password was wonderful.

Frank still trying to pick up chicks at a women's march was perfect....Yes, the Twitter war was hilarious..#danquayle spot on....

The two things I loved were the digs at the current state of journalism..and the reality that the showier Murphy moment would outshine the earnest Avery's show.

Still, the biggest revelation continues to be the fantastic Faith Ford. When the original was on, I was all about CB and didn't really notice how great Ford was at the physical stuff...

As someone who has dealt with hot flashes this past year, I almost cried when she had them on air...but I LOVED her great, factual, sane argument FOR climate change...while the others were just lost in what to say. 

I am in..and hoping CBS has the patience for it. I am in the long haul.

• Love 17

The guy playing Avery looks like a GQ model but real looking. If that makes sense. Overall, it was a pretty good episode. I watched the OG except for the last 2 seasons because the show was getting stale. I could see this show going on for a few seasons. The only thing I’m curios about if it was shot in front of a live audience or not. 

• Love 2
10 minutes ago, mtlchick said:

(I'm not a Trump fan but I need a detox from the jokes as well.) 

I been feeling like I need a detox from news in general.  I was a little hesitant about tuning in.  I think you're right once they get it out of their systems,  once "the news" becomes more organic I think it will be better.

Yes, the menopause gag is already old.

Edited by Skycatcher
  • Love 9
11 minutes ago, RandomWatcher said:

Trump heavy but we expected that right? Weren't Corky and Miles dating when the series went off the air?

They wound up married, but Grant Shaud left at the end of season 8, so they divorced. Lily Tomlin played FYI Executive Producer Kay Cater-Shepley during the last two seasons. 

• Love 2
9 minutes ago, RandomWatcher said:

Weren't Corky and Miles dating when the series went off the air?

I think so but I'm wondering if they broke up.  It sounds like Corky and Murphy have children, but the jury's out on Miles.  Think Frank is still a confirmed bachelor.

Something else I liked was that there was no animosity between Murphy and Avery.  They're friendly rivals.  Avery clearly has respect for his mother and her legacy, but Murphy is proud of Avery and what's he's accomplished.  I was worried about seeing a "bratty Millennial" stereotype from Avery and was pleasantly surprised.

• Love 21
2 minutes ago, stonehaven said:

The two things I loved were the digs at the current state of journalism..and the reality that the showier Murphy moment would outshine the earnest Avery's show.

I found it pretty depressing that Murphy returned to journalism to be a place where real dialogue and debate could take place and then she basically caves into the thing she was not going to be because there is no one of any substance to dialogue with and then she descends into a twitter fight.  But its a big ratings grabber.  But Murphy Morning isn't any different than any other hack news show.  That isn't the Murphy Brown I remember.  I hope they tighten the writing up a bit.  They used to be able to make her intelligent and scathing, not just trading insults.  Its a bit like they kind of remember how to write Murphy but its not quite comfortable yet.

The best things about this episode were:

Miles explaining the trauma of producing the View.  We don't need Murphy's rotating secretaries.  Let watch Miles dive for cover because former hosts of the View keep dropping by to say hello to Murphy.  I believe there are more than 20 of them.

Every scene between Murphy and Avery was perfect.  I think they need to actually think about why that Is working and forget for a minute that every one else has a back history that most of the audience is familiar with; and then get Murphy, Corky, Miles, and Frank more grounded and less gimmicky.

While I hated everything about the tweets while they were on the air.  I loved the very first tweet she sent out to just stir shit up.  That is the Murphy I remember and hope to see more of.

• Love 13
35 minutes ago, RandomWatcher said:

Weren't Corky and Miles dating when the series went off the air?

I believe I read an article that stated that they were just going to pretend like that didn't happen.

I both looked forward to this and dreaded it since I had read reviews that felt that they handled things well and others that felt they didn't.  I can see a little bit of both but I found I enjoyed this more than I thought I would.  I actually felt they handled the expected political nature better than Will & Grace did last year.  Maybe it was better writing or maybe it's just the milieu of newspeople. 

There were some smart and funny lines in the news aspect of the show but I agree with those who felt the Avery and Murphy stuff worked the best.  I think it's because, with the old cast, there's this feeling of needing to live up to something.  They know people are tuning in out of nostalgia and want to give them that dynamic and chemistry. 

Whereas with Avery, they don't have to hit some specific dynamic.  The actors can just feel each other out and create that relationship from scratch.  Plus, I have been a big fan of Jake McDorman from Greek, through Limitless (*sniff*) and here as well. He can be funny but overall he's grounded as an actor.  The news stuff might have been about real life but the mother and son scenes came off as more realistic.  

• Love 13
2 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

The actors can just feel each other out and create that relationship from scratch.  Plus, I have been a big fan of Jake McDorman from Greek, through Limitless (*sniff*) and here as well. He can be funny but overall he's grounded as an actor.  The news stuff might have been about real life but the mother and son scenes came off as more realistic.  

Yeah I thought there was a good dynamic there. I like Jake McDorman but I only know him from Limitless. (yes, *sniff*. That was a good show.)

I think the show started out a little stiff but found its groove way quicker than Roseanne or Will and Grace did.

• Love 7
35 minutes ago, ParadoxLost said:

........and then she basically caves into the thing she was not going to be because there is no one of any substance to dialogue with and then she descends into a twitter fight.  But its a big ratings grabber.  

I took it as an intentional reality check to Murphy about just how hard she's going to have to work to avoid becoming what she's trying to avoid,  and demonstrating just how easy it is, with her personality, to fall into that trap.  At least I hope that's the case because  I'm not intrested in watching a program about political pot shots without some intelligence behind it.

• Love 16

Really enjoyed it and screamed out loud when Hillary came off the elevator. And "Bring it on! Hashtag Dan Quayle" - yes!! The scene in Phil's was rather painful, though - I don't know if that's what they filmed first (maybe so since that's when the audience applauded Murphy's appearance), but everyone seemed a bit stiff. It got better as the episode went on, though. Grant Shaud was great as Miles - no stiffness there, and it's great to see him back in competent executive producer mode.

I'm really excited about Avery. He's clearly grown up very well, is super smart, and is going to be a good debater for Murphy. The actor also very plausibly looks like he could be Candice Bergen's son - excellent casting.

• Love 13

I loved it. It felt like vintage Murphy to me. I missed Phil and Jim though. 

I had forgotten Miles and Corky had divorced. I was surprised they weren’t together with zero explanation until I remembered. 

I loved every minute of this. The Hillary cameo made me squeal like a little girl. I loved all the scenes with Avery and Murphy. I remember on the original show Murphy loved Avery but wasn't a typical sitcom mom. I was so happy to see him follow in her footsteps and her pride in him.

• Love 15