Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E01: Fake News

10 minutes ago, BW Manilowe said:

I usually listen to see if the announcer says the show is live (if it’s a show normally aired live) during the opening when they list the guests/topics for that episode. 

If they (Whoopi, Stephen, Jimmy(s), Seth.....) can't be bothered to show up, neither do I.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, TV Diva Queen said:

when Avery walked into Murphy's house and hugged her, I got a little something in my eye at that very moment while thinking of the "I Am Your Child" scene from the first run.  OMG that scene kills me!  

For those who don’t know what @TV Diva Queen & I are talking about, here you go. The only thing is, it’s not the whole scene & the dialogue (at least some of which was meaningful to Murphy & Avery’s relationship at that point, though he was just a year old & since she could be something of an unconventional mother) is missing.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Chaos Theory said:

It’s actually “Sympathy For The Devil”. By The Rolling Stones and it’s a pretty fitting song for the opening.

Yikes!  of course, you are right.  When I was posting in my bleary-eye state this morning, I felt like something was wrong, but couldn't figure out what it was.  Will edit.  thanks 

4 hours ago, UYI said:

Avery was born on May 18th, 1992, which was the season 4 finale of the original show. He should actually be 26. (By comparison, I was born midway through the first season in early 1989, which yes, means that I will soon be 30. Yikes!)

This article/review from The Washington Post, about the first episode, actually brings up the accuracy of Avery’s age in the revival, making the points you did, @UYI (that he’s 28 in the revival, but should be 26 based on the airdate for the episode about his birth). It also says, for what it’s worth, that Jake McDorman’s 32.

Edited by BW Manilowe
To add comments.
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, iluvobx said:

I enjoyed it.  I had read that the first two episodes were not the best but the 3rd one would be back on track.  Murphy is older, been out of the business for a few years which could really make it very funny.  With all the new technology that we have now that we didn't then, that alone would make it funny.

I was not a fan of the last 2 years.  New writers that couldn't or wouldn't stay true to the original Murphy, killed it for me.  The show wasn't funny or as engaging as before.  The new writers or whoever changed the cast.  They got rid of Eldin, Miles and Phil (claiming cost).  Never did believe the romance between Corky and Miles.  Diane English is smart to just ignore that.

Welcome back Murphy!  I have missed you!

The Phil character died with Pat Corley the actor. Eldin left to star in another series and Grant Shaud made the decision to leave. None were fired.

• Love 8

I was a fan of the original show and I'm very happy to have it back with the same cast, even if the beating of the orange-haired dead horse did seem a little forced at times. I expect that now that the basic premise has been established, future episodes will be a little smoother.

• Love 7

I love it.  I am so glad that her relationship with Avery is great.  I was afraid they were going to have him be a conservative who was always at odds with Murphy.  I like the fact that Murphy's and Avery's shows are competing with each other in the same time slot.  If Avery is even 25% as competitive as his mother there should be some "friendly competition" in their future.  It is wonderful to see how proud Murphy is of her son.

• Love 9

I mean, I certainly wouldn't find it surprising if a cable news show featuring Connie Chung's return to TV beat out a new Fox News program headed by Matthew Povich; you'd expect the older, more widely-known newscaster to garner higher ratings, particularly close to their debuts.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Wanda said:

It’s like when she guested on the children’s show, let the puppet push her buttons and ripped his head off. It’s classic Murphy Brown to be goaded into battle. 

Yep.  She got sober (the original series opened with her return from rehab), but otherwise impulse control has never been Murphy's thing.  It was inevitable she was going to start yelling the same things she'd been yelling at her TV from the couch.

1 hour ago, Chaos Theory said:

I thought the irony of Murphy Brown and her twitter war with  Trump getting better ratings then Avery’s earnest old world reporting was meant to say something about the world we live in.  We may say we want Avery’s brand of reprting and tv shows but we turn in for Murphy Browns.  The angry talking heads will always win out over the true reporting.

It is just the state of the world.  

And then inevitable that she'd regret it, because of this.  She got the band back together precisely to counter-program, and she wound up joining in on the theatrics instead.  While her son stuck to real reporting, and got trounced in the ratings.  Because most people in general don't tune in for that kind of news, and Wolf Network viewers really aren't here for it.

• Love 8

I didn't think it was very good. The actors seemed pretty stiff. But I did get a kick out of the last few minutes when they interviewed the head of the EPA, which turned out to be some woman who had run the gift shop in Trump Tower. LOL.

I felt the same about the Will and Grace revival when it first started though, and that eventually got better so I have hope that this will too. I think a revival like this has to get a few episodes under its belt to find its groove again, especially after so many years.

The idea that Avery is now a grown man who is also a newscaster makes me feel so old. 

• Love 6
6 hours ago, UYI said:

Avery was born on May 18th, 1992, which was the season 4 finale of the original show. He should actually be 26. (By comparison, I was born midway through the first season in early 1989, which yes, means that I will soon be 30. Yikes!)

Still, my favorite television childbirth scene, EVER. No perfect hair and make up. No little grunting push, and poof....there's the kid. Screaming. Pain. Awesomeness. 

• Love 14
1 hour ago, Wanda said:

It’s like when she guested on the children’s show, let the puppet push her buttons and ripped his head off. It’s classic Murphy Brown to be goaded into battle. 

OMG, Antenna TV had a mini marathon of the original show the night before the new one began, and they showed this episode. I die from laughter every. single. time. she rips his head off while screaming "I'm a professional journalist!" Laughing until I can't BREATHE kind of laughter. 

• Love 14

I watched the first 5 seasons of the show first run and enjoyed it, but then the writing started to sour and and I lost interest.  I wasn't sure what to expect from "Season 11".

Caught the show unexpectedly last night and.... it wasn't bad.

I thought there was too much  "low hanging fruit" as far as the jokes went.  I'm not saying Trump/Conservatives/Republicans/etc. aren't above being poked fun at (the secret to life is being willing to take a few cracks about yourself), but it was rather strong and almost unending.  I did however think the Twitter war was funny and very much in character for Murphy.  Here's hoping things will balance out a bit.  One of the things i enjoyed about earlier seasons was how all sorts of public figures were made fun of in one way or another.

Hillary's cameo - sucked!  Sorry!  I know the woman isn't an actress but she just couldn't pull it off.  The guests at Murphy's baby shower were way funnier and more genuine with their acting!!  I think it might have been funnier if Dan Quayle had applied for the job instead!

Loved Avery and I hope to see more of him especially at the "Wolf Network" (really subtle there!).  I also wonder if we'll get an episode in which he's hanging out with the progeny of other famous journalists (Luke Russert, Peter Doocy, Chris Wallace etc.) and trying to emerge from their parents' shadows.  

Loved seeing Murphy, Frank and Corky and Miles together again!  They still had that old magic!  I don't remember Frank being so triggered by "Nazis" though.  

Seeing poor Miles as a veteran of The View back stabbings was hilarious!  It would be funny if some of those former hosts stopped by while he tried to hide.  

I missed Jim Dial (Charles Kimbrough) terribly!  I know he'll be guest appearing soon but I really wished he had been there too.

I'm curious if other living past characters will return for a visit.

• Love 8

Still, my favorite television childbirth scene, EVER. No perfect hair and make up. No little grunting push, and poof....there's the kid. Screaming. Pain. Awesomeness. 

I think I remember this accurately:

Jim Dial: She's gonna blow!

• Love 17
2 hours ago, Wanda said:

The Phil character died with Pat Corley the actor. Eldin left to star in another series and Grant Shaud made the decision to leave. None were fired.

I thought that they left due to the show cutting back cost.  Then again, this was over 20 years ago and the mind is not as sharp as it once was.

They had to cover a lot of ground in the first episode. I thought the dialogue was a bit stiff. Murphy and Avery had excellent chemistry, and ArethaForever was great. 

Where is Audrey? What happened to her? I honestly cannot remember. I did watch it on first run, but it's out of syndication now.

• Love 2

I'm the same age as Candice Bergen and remember the original Murphy Brown.  I really liked last night's episode and hope it continues to be this good.  Candice Bergen and Donald Trump did actually go on a date - just one.  According to her he wore a burgundy suit and drove a burgundy car.  Good call on her part.

• Love 12

Big fan of the original, and was eager to see this.  I felt it was a little forced at first, as they set up the scene, but I think it got much better as it went along, so I'm in.

Elsewhere, I read that "Wolf" was used as the name of a competing network in the original run of the show, but I don't recall that myself.

• Love 3
30 minutes ago, mojito said:

I think I remember this accurately:

Jim Dial: She's gonna blow!

Yes.  And Miles diving under her in the hallway thinking the baby was going to fall out.  Corky excusing herself to go down to the pharmacy and renew her birth control prescription.  "How would you know, sperm for brains?!"  And, of course, Avery in his little hat "Mother would have liked that" and Murphy singing Natural Woman to him.  I love that episode.

44 minutes ago, magicdog said:

I thought there was too much  "low hanging fruit" as far as the jokes went.  I'm not saying Trump/Conservatives/Republicans/etc. aren't above being poked fun at (the secret to life is being willing to take a few cracks about yourself), but it was rather strong and almost unending. 

It pretty much had to be for this first episode, though, since Trump's election and the resulting state of journalism is the entire reason these people decided to get back in the game.  There will still be a lot of it, since they cover politics, but I'm sure future episodes will, like the original run, include congresspeople, other journalists, celebrities, etc. in the news show's coverage/characters' conversations at the rundown meetings.  But this episode was about why the band got back together, and the answer to that is Trump (I love Murphy's "... and then we had an election" from that excellent promo they put out in which everyone talked in character about what they were doing with their lives), so he was inevitably going to be the main focus.

• Love 19

A few minutes in.

The subject matter is certainly timely but the jokes, and the rest of the writing as well, is SO dated.

I won't say I'm hating it so far, but... they clearly need to bring in some younger writers, to give a more contemporary feel to this--the dialogue in particular. 

A show STARRING mostly old folks doesn't mean the show has to feel old. But so far... 

More after I finish the episode. 

Edited by Kromm
38 minutes ago, iluvobx said:

Phil never actually died during the original run. He appeared in the final episode and disclosed that his death was faked by the FEDs because he was privy to too much sensitive info. They had him in some type of witness protection.

• Love 1
34 minutes ago, WAnglais1 said:

They had to cover a lot of ground in the first episode. I thought the dialogue was a bit stiff. Murphy and Avery had excellent chemistry, and ArethaForever was great. 

Where is Audrey? What happened to her? I honestly cannot remember. I did watch it on first run, but it's out of syndication now.

Audrey broke up with Miles when Jane Leeves left to be on Frasier.

I like Haley Joel Osment but the new Avery looks like he could be the son of Candice Bergen and Robin Thomas.

• Love 4
20 minutes ago, Liquid6 said:

Phil never actually died during the original run. He appeared in the final episode and disclosed that his death was faked by the FEDs because he was privy to too much sensitive info. They had him in some type of witness protection.

I just googled this. I started having kids in the early 90s so was sleep deprived and didn’t watch the final season. You get a star for stumping a panelist lol

• Love 3
18 hours ago, PradaKitty said:

Why does Candace Bergen look so different? She seems “puffier”. I don’t think it’s just aging..

Didn't she have a mild stroke several years ago?  Maybe medication is causing the puffiness.  Or...like others have said, she likes to eat and who cares?  I'm with her!

• Love 4

Yes.  And Miles diving under her in the hallway thinking the baby was going to fall out.  Corky excusing herself to go down to the pharmacy and renew her birth control prescription.  "How would you know, sperm for brains?!"  And, of course, Avery in his little hat "Mother would have liked that" and Murphy singing Natural Woman to him.  I love that episode.

Thanks. I remember that when he exclaimed, "She's gonna blow!" people scattered. I'm thinking that maybe Frank was the only one who stayed behind, maybe because he couldn't get away (like Murphy grabbed him). But it's vague....

Murphy sings Aretha/Carole

Edited by mojito
  • Love 2
46 minutes ago, Kromm said:

The subject matter is certainly timely but the jokes, and the rest of the writing as well, is SO dated.

This could be a real problem with this show given that episodes are viewed several weeks after actual events. An oversaturated news audience could also be a problem. For example while I realize how vital the issue is I am so sick of the constant Kavanaugh coverage I  could scream!

• Love 4
1 hour ago, WAnglais1 said:

It's not, actually. It's on Antenna TV. Not everyone has it, granted, but it IS in syndication again. 

• Love 4
23 minutes ago, mojito said:

Thanks. I remember that when he exclaimed, "She's gonna blow!" people scattered. I'm thinking that maybe Frank was the only one who stayed behind, maybe because he couldn't get away (like Murphy grabbed him). But it's vague....

Answering in the original episodes thread ...

1 hour ago, Kromm said:

A few minutes in.

I won't say I'm hating it so far, but... they clearly need to bring in some younger writers, to give a more contemporary feel to this--the dialogue in particular. 

A show STARRING mostly old folks doesn't mean the show has to feel old. But so far... 

Something was definitely off.  There were a couple of good lines, but not a laugh riot by any stretch.  I’m hoping that now we are all caught up on what everyone has been doing, they will get down to business.  The secretary thing wasn’t funny the first time around.  I like Candice Bergin, but she’s not much of an actor.  I heard the ratings weren’t great.

• Love 1

Audrey broke up with Miles when Jane Leeves left to be on Frasier.

OMG Audrey was always my favorite. I loved how whenever Miles suggested they pretend something in front of the others she would go "Oh! OK." Then she'd go way over the top with it.

I like Haley Joel Osment but the new Avery looks like he could be the son of Candice Bergen and Robin Thomas.

Who was Avery's father? Did they ever say? 

• Love 2

So I was in late elementary school in what I consider the "heyday" of Murphy Brown (around Avery's birth), and can honestly say it was my introduction to politics. I've been watching the reruns on Antenna TV lately and really enjoying them (and am amused by which random parts I remember, like Miles blowing his nose and claiming he lost the part of his brain that did long division).

This was honestly the only "new" show I was looking forward to this fall! It definitely felt a little weird/ stilted (and it was just jarring to see everyone older), but I'm sticking with it and found it enjoyable enough. I agree that the Murphy/ Avery scenes were the best part-- those two were great together.

• Love 1

Is there anyone out there that actually wanted a retread like this?

After those hearing yesterday isn't it clear that this country is divided enough without CBS trotting this out just for the SOLE purpose of having a half hour forum to take shots at the current president? It's such a juvenile maneuver but hey what do I expect from a network that gave us "Sex"coms like TWO BROKE GIRLS and TWO AND A HALF MEN?

This isn't the Tiffany Network anymore...it the Cubic Zirconia network now.

With that said I will credit the return actors who are still quite good in their roles.

Now if another network wanted to re-open a certain Boston bar...I'd say sign me up in a heartbeat!

• Love 3
49 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

Who was Avery's father? Did they ever say? 

It was Jake, her ex-husband (played by Robin Thomas), but the other candidate was Jerry Gold (played by the late Jay Thomas). 

• Love 6
9 hours ago, The Crazed Spruce said:
  •  

The Bad:

• Hillary's actual dialogue. Her line reading felt stilted and forced, and just screamed "Guest actor". Loved the idea they were going for, but the execution was kinda left wanting.
  • The opening scene at Phil's. Felt very sitcommy. I know it was necessary to establish where everyone was at after over two decades, but the dialogue felt kinda stiff. The show got better as it went along, but it was a steep hill to climb.

I completely agree with these!

I didn't see any mention of it above, but in case anyone didn't know, Candice Bergen confirmed on the Late Show with Stephen Colbert that she really did go out with Donald Trump once, when they were teenagers, I think -- before he was "The Donald."

• Love 3
2 hours ago, North of Eden said:

Is there anyone out there that actually wanted a retread like this?

After those hearing yesterday isn't it clear that this country is divided enough without CBS trotting this out just for the SOLE purpose of having a half hour forum to take shots at the current president? It's such a juvenile maneuver but hey what do I expect from a network that gave us "Sex"coms like TWO BROKE GIRLS and TWO AND A HALF MEN?

This isn't the Tiffany Network anymore...it the Cubic Zirconia network now.

With that said I will credit the return actors who are still quite good in their roles.

Now if another network wanted to re-open a certain Boston bar...I'd say sign me up in a heartbeat!

THANK YOU!!!! THIS THIS THIS!!!!

THIS is what made this sitcom retread not for me! It's not about the show, it's the powers that be, using  (yet another) (supposedly) comedy to sh!t on the government. Again! Seriously? Like we don't get that alllllll daaaaaaaaaaay looooooooooong. Every damn day. ALL day.  COME ON! I DO NOT WATCH SITCOMS FOR THAT. It's supposed to be an ESCAPE from all that. I need to get AWAY from all that for awhile.

THAT is why this show didn't work for me. Thank you, North of Eden, thank you!

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Bastet said:

It pretty much had to be for this first episode, though, since Trump's election and the resulting state of journalism is the entire reason these people decided to get back in the game.  There will still be a lot of it, since they cover politics, but I'm sure future episodes will, like the original run, include congresspeople, other journalists, celebrities, etc. in the news show's coverage/characters' conversations at the rundown meetings. 

Given the current state of CBS itself with some high profile exits just in the past month including its in news division, I do feel in the long term the show will take on a bigger tone about accountability within its own ranks.  For most shows, that could be too "on the nose."  For this show and its own history being thrown into real life politics, I think they can pull it off.  But the jokes need an update.   After mulling it over, a lot of one lineers reminded me of Arsenio Hall's attempted comeback a few years ago...as in they were sitting in mothballs for way too long. 

• Love 3
23 hours ago, ParadoxLost said:

We don't need Murphy's rotating secretaries.

Wow, disagree.  

20 hours ago, Bastet said:

One of the things I’ve most looked forward to with the revival is the continuation of the revolving door of Murphy’s secretaries, and - especially with a limited run and the revival hoopla - I figured they could get some seriously great cameos.  But I never dreamed Hillary Clinton would kick it off.

You and me both.  I kind of don't see how they're going to top Hilary as a guest secretary though. 

E

Edited by ratgirlagogo
  • Love 16
11 minutes ago, ratgirlagogo said:
23 hours ago, ParadoxLost said:

We don't need Murphy's rotating secretaries.

Wow, disagree.  

Gosh, me too.  I loved looking forward to what kind of whackadoodle they'd come up with next. I thought some of them were hilarious.

• Love 21
8 hours ago, Wanda said:

t’s like when she guested on the children’s show, let the puppet push her buttons and ripped his head off. It’s classic Murphy Brown to be goaded into battle. 

This as I'm guessing most here don't know (unless like me you are a fan of the golden age of American radio drama)  was particularly funny because her father was Edgar Bergen, the mega-popular radio comedian-ventriloquist who performed with his puppets Charlie McCarthy and Mortimer Snerd.   What was not so funny was that  she didn't have a great relationship with her dad, or with the puppets, whom he treated as real children(he left money in his will to Charlie, but not to Candice, for example).  Tearing off a puppet's head must have been quite cathartic for her.

https://www.womansday.com/life/real-women/news/a50235/candice-bergen-reveals-twisted-details-about-relationship-with-her-father/

Back to this show, Eldin was my favorite character in the original show and I am so sad he can't be here for this reboot.  Loved the warm but snarky remembrance of him ("I told him not to run with the bulls!")

Edited by ratgirlagogo
  • Love 11
10 hours ago, AuxArx said:

Didn't she have a mild stroke several years ago?  Maybe medication is causing the puffiness.  Or...like others have said, she likes to eat and who cares?  I'm with her!

She had one in 2006. She's also said that she has decided to stop caring as much about her weight. 

(I should warn the second link includes Matt Lauer...ugh.)

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2122510/Candice-Bergen-reveals-suffered-stroke-memory-loss-years-ago.html

https://www.usmagazine.com/celebrity-news/news/candice-bergen-reveals-how-many-times-she-had-plastic-surgery-201574/

• Love 1

I think Candice Bergen looks fine, and I like the idea that she's in a position to tell Hollywood's weight trainers to go train themselves.

I didn't like the old-person-has-a-flip-phone bit. The Murphy Brown I remember would have been all over email and smartphones when they came out. Even if she was technically out of the news business, she would have been on Twitter, because journalists *love* Twitter and most of her friends and competitors would be there. Plus, she almost certainly would have been offered serious money to write a book when she left FYI, and the publishers would have set her up if she wasn't already. The young tech guy was funny, but again, he's got older relatives who really *would* have flip phones, and he would have seen them before.

I *did* very much like that they didn't go the route I expected and make Murphy and Avery estranged. It's nice to see a serious career woman depicted as being, in the end, a competent mother with a good relationship with her son.

• Love 11
12 hours ago, SrOfficial said:

Something was definitely off.  There were a couple of good lines, but not a laugh riot by any stretch.  I’m hoping that now we are all caught up on what everyone has been doing, they will get down to business.  The secretary thing wasn’t funny the first time around.  I like Candice Bergin, but she’s not much of an actor.  I heard the ratings weren’t great.

https://deadline.com/2018/09/murphy-brown-premiere-ratings-greys-anatomy-how-to-get-away-with-murder-1202472952/

Honestly if CBS expected boffo ratings they were fools. Beyond the syndication issues, the original show had also peaked in the public eye a number of years before the show went off. The ratings were still decent (I think only toward the last season did they have a larger decline), but the show was mostly just staying on because CBS was at a very low ebb in the early/mid-90s. It keeps being compared to Roseanne and W&G, but those were different shows, in W&G's case in a different era (and in W&G's case the revival also tailed off very quickly in the ratings). 

The main reason for the return being hyped seemed to be whether people wanted to see Trump-bashing, and then after that, topical news coverage. While I understand the idea (and the show had that topical edge for a number of years in the first run), that wasn't what I wanted to see. I wanted to see the gang again, and I wanted to see how Avery had grown up. But I feel like there just weren't that many of us out there, not enough to be some big hit. The people who may never have heard of the show and have heard of it now mostly because of the writeups in the press about the Trump element are people who can get that anywhere, on hundreds of channels. Why would they watch it here? 

1 hour ago, IDreamofJoaquin said:

I feel like I'm the only one who thinks Avery looks way older than 28.

Jake McDorman is 32. I think he looks like some would at 28. 

Edited by Pete Martell
  • Love 5