Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E01: Fake News

47 minutes ago, deaja said:

I loved it. It felt like vintage Murphy to me. I missed Phil and Jim though. 

I had forgotten Miles and Corky had divorced. I was surprised they weren’t together with zero explanation until I remembered. 

I think it was said that the reason it won't be mentioned is because Diane English had left the show before the Miles and Corky relationship, and is not a fan of it, so it doesn't exist now that she's back.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, ByaNose said:

The guy playing Avery looks like a GQ model but real looking. If that makes sense.

Basically, take Armie Hammer, but make him look like someone you could see in real life. That gives you Jake McDorman. I've known him since Greek- enjoyed his turn on Limitless but sadly that got cancelled. He's a pretty decent actor and he definitely seems to be generating decent mother/son chemistry with Candice.

• Love 2

I think I only watched an episode of the original "Murphy Brown" but I was curious and watched this revival, like I did "Roseanne".  The first scene at the bar was rather cringey, but the show grew on me as the episode continued.  There were a lot more clunkers than on "Roseanne", though the two leads felt similar to me except on opposites of the political spectrum.  

I liked the relationship between Murphy and her son.  It was also nice to see the original cast together and they looked like they were having fun.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, ParadoxLost said:

I found it pretty depressing that Murphy returned to journalism to be a place where real dialogue and debate could take place and then she basically caves into the thing she was not going to be because there is no one of any substance to dialogue with and then she descends into a twitter fight.  But its a big ratings grabber.  But Murphy Morning isn't any different than any other hack news show.  That isn't the Murphy Brown I remember.  I hope they tighten the writing up a bit.  They used to be able to make her intelligent and scathing, not just trading insults.  Its a bit like they kind of remember how to write Murphy but its not quite comfortable yet.

The best things about this episode were:

Miles explaining the trauma of producing the View.  We don't need Murphy's rotating secretaries.  Let watch Miles dive for cover because former hosts of the View keep dropping by to say hello to Murphy.  I believe there are more than 20 of them.

Every scene between Murphy and Avery was perfect.  I think they need to actually think about why that Is working and forget for a minute that every one else has a back history that most of the audience is familiar with; and then get Murphy, Corky, Miles, and Frank more grounded and less gimmicky.

While I hated everything about the tweets while they were on the air.  I loved the very first tweet she sent out to just stir shit up.  That is the Murphy I remember and hope to see more of.

There was some nuance there with the tweets, that also showed how naive Murphy was to social media. She told Avery she didn't think Trump would even see it, and then he started a flame war with her.  Once attacked, Murphy couldn't help herself.

That idea of former View hosts showing up is genius!

• Love 10

I'm clearly in the minority here but I thought the HRC cameo was flat.  As flat as most of her campaigning in both 2008 and 2016.  In fact, that scene and the opening scene were the only ones that fell flat for me.  Love the dynamic between Murphy and Avery (and I love Jake McDorman, also *sniff* Limitless).  I think the reboot has potential but I really hope it chooses to be more a scathing yet funny commentary on the sad state of American journalism and the entire political establishment than just taking potshots at Trump/GOP.  I snickered at the Twitter warning Avery gave Murphy about shows being cancelled for less than Murphy's inaugural tweet and took that as a direct Roseanne reference (another reboot that I liked because I thought there was a balance of ideas and willingness to engage in thoughtful dialogue).  And, I agree, the hot flashes gag wore thin by the end of the episode - could have done without the last "joke" for sure.  All in all, not a terrible and I'll give it a chance.

• Love 8

Not my show.

*pour one out for limitless* Miss that pretty boy so much.

Not at all surprising that Avery would be a Republican. Expected. Typical. Cliched. But not unexpected. 

But  it is surprising how sweet and accepting Murphy is, and how well they get along in spite of.

I don’t want this much politics in my comedies. And to me? The acting is stunted and plodding and not at all natural. They’ll probably get better as they go along. I don’t know if I’ll be around to see it.

This one’s not for me. Cute. But no thanks .

OKay, I’ll be fair. I’ll give it 3 episodes....ugh...

Edited by hnygrl
  • Love 3
13 minutes ago, hnygrl said:

Not at all surprising that Avery would be a Republican. Expected. Typical. Cliched. But not unexpected.

That would indeed have been the expected cliché.  But that's not what they did.  He's the token liberal on Wolf News.

• Love 23
7 hours ago, The Crazed Spruce said:

"Hashtag Dan Quayle" was the line of the night, you ask me.

As 1 who survived him as both my US Congressman & US Senator before he joined the Republican ticket & became VP, I think I agree with you. I’m waiting for “hashtag Mike (or even Karen, his wife) Pence”.

• Love 7
9 hours ago, RandomWatcher said:

Trump heavy but we expected that right? Weren't Corky and Miles dating when the series went off the air?

As I remember, they were definitely in a secret (as in nobody else at work knew) relationship of some kind. I keep thinking it went as far as a secret marriage, then Miles moved away for a new job (Grant Shaud left the original series before the end) &, if they were married, he asked Corky for a divorce in a snail mail letter. I hope they revisit whatever their relationship was back then; at least to remind us how they broke up.

I also hope Avery’s still a Manilow fan, since Murphy obviously still loves Motown. And I have to find out if Avery’s actually 28, like they said.

The mention of Eldin (& the late Robert Pastorelli) was sweet.

Edited by BW Manilowe
To correct the spelling of a word.
  • Love 5
8 hours ago, PradaKitty said:

Why does Candace Bergen look so different? She seems “puffier”. I don’t think it’s just aging..

Being older now, perhaps she’s simply gained weight; or she could have, in the interim between the versions of the show, developed a health condition for which the medicine/treatment might/does make you gain weight or look “puffy”. Sadly, the physical difference is apparent in the preview trailer CBS released for the reboot, where the new/returning cast members (except for Jake McDorman, who may not have been cast as Avery yet) are interviewed about why Murphy, Corky, Frank & Miles are going back to TV & how Phyllis & Pat Patel, the fictional show’s social media guy, fit into the pic now.

Edited by BW Manilowe
To fix spelling in a name.
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

"The Wolf Network".

The tech guy with the flip phone was hilarious.

I hope the ladies on the View respond tomorrow.

It may have to wait until Monday. Their Friday shows are pretaped, on Wednesday, more often than not.

• Love 1

I'm not on twitter, and I don't really do social media, but I know what a hashtag is.  It's entered the common language, it's on TV all the time, including the news, and I'm pretty sure my 78 year old dad who doesn't have a computer and uses a flip phone, still knows what a hashtag is.

• Love 16
52 minutes ago, Trillian said:

She had me at “Interview with the Devil”.  Other than the canned laughter, what a joy. 

Welcome home, Murph. 

There was canned laughter?   I guess a good show makes you not notice it. 

Thanks though now I am going to notice it.

But then it doesn’t always bother me.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, BW Manilowe said:

And I have to find out if Avery’s actually 28, like they said.

Avery was born on May 18th, 1992, which was the season 4 finale of the original show. He should actually be 26. (By comparison, I was born midway through the first season in early 1989, which yes, means that I will soon be 30. Yikes!)

• Love 5
20 minutes ago, UYI said:

Avery was born on May 18th, 1992, which was the season 4 finale of the original show. He should actually be 26. (By comparison, I was born midway through the first season in early 1989, which yes, means that I will soon be 30. Yikes!)

Being that Avery was SORAS*d a couple of years toward the end of the show's run, 28 years old works for me.

*SORAS = Soap Opera Rapid Aging Syndrome

• Love 12

I was really looking forward to this, and unfortunately, I found it mostly disappointing.  There were a few very funny moments, but mostly it was a bit tepid.  Perhaps that was because so much of this episode was just set-up, so I will give it a few more episodes to find its feet.

The funniest bit, to me, was when Murphy pulled out her phone - I had that exact phone up until a couple of years ago, when the company it came from replaced it with a slightly more advanced model which is still a flip phone.

Edited to note that I had very high expectations based on my love for the original, and I doubt anything really could've lived up to those expectations.  There were enough funny bits, and the relationships are well-done, to keep me watching for now.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 4
6 hours ago, hnygrl said:

No one said that Avery was a Republican.  Maybe he is, and we'll find that out, but just from the pilot, we don't know.

6 hours ago, kathyk24 said:

Avery isn't Republican he's the token liberal on the fake Fox network

That's how I took it.

2 hours ago, SrOfficial said:

How does she know about hashtags if she’s so computer illiterate?  Good line, tho.

She didn't seem completely out of touch with current media, just not using it.

• Love 5
8 minutes ago, morgan459 said:

It is filmed before a live audience (Kaufman Studios in Astoria if anyone who lives in or close to NYC is interested).  I was lucky enough to get tickets for the pilot episode!

That sounds like fun I'm from Philly so NYC isn't too far. I'll have to check it out. Thanks.

• Love 2
21 minutes ago, morgan459 said:

It is filmed before a live audience (Kaufman Studios in Astoria if anyone who lives in or close to NYC is interested).  I was lucky enough to get tickets for the pilot episode!

What was it like to be there in person??  Details! Details!

• Love 8

I enjoyed it.  I had read that the first two episodes were not the best but the 3rd one would be back on track.  Murphy is older, been out of the business for a few years which could really make it very funny.  With all the new technology that we have now that we didn't then, that alone would make it funny.

I was not a fan of the last 2 years.  New writers that couldn't or wouldn't stay true to the original Murphy, killed it for me.  The show wasn't funny or as engaging as before.  The new writers or whoever changed the cast.  They got rid of Eldin, Miles and Phil (claiming cost).  Never did believe the romance between Corky and Miles.  Diane English is smart to just ignore that.

Welcome back Murphy!  I have missed you!

• Love 8
11 hours ago, kariyaki said:

The funniest bit for me was the Indian tech guy's reaction to Murphy's flip phone.

My mother has a smart phone now and she loves it, but she had a flip phone well past the time people had flip phones. (She does not, and will not, have any social media. I kind of think she has the right idea with that, though I do have it.) I went with her to the store to upgrade her phone and the salesperson was like " ..." when he saw her old phone. He was VERY nice and helpful to her, not mocking at all, but he had a similar "I didn't know people still had these" kind of reaction.

I remember watching this show when it was on the first time around but I didn't watch from the beginning because I would have been too young. I looked it up and it was on for 10 years, ending when I was in my teens so I think I started watching midway through. My parents both liked it, especially my mother and I remember watching with them. I remember what a big deal it was that Murphy was a single mother, and I remember how much Murphy liked music so "Arethaforever" was a nice nod. I really like her relationship with Avery who is now on "Wolf News" (DEAD). Avery is clearly very proud of his mom and there's a mutual respect there that I really liked.

I died during the tweet storm, y'all. "HASHTAG DAN QUAYLE." Also Frank's "Sad!" imitation made me laugh - the way he said it as he swiveled his head was just perfect. Season pass.

• Love 19
20 minutes ago, iluvobx said:

I was not a fan of the last 2 years.  New writers that couldn't or wouldn't stay true to the original Murphy, killed it for me.  The show wasn't funny or as engaging as before.  The new writers or whoever changed the cast.  They got rid of Eldin, Miles and Phil (claiming cost).  Never did believe the romance between Corky and Miles.  Diane English is smart to just ignore that.

Diane English actually left at the end of season 4. She returned for the final season (season 10). 

• Love 3
11 hours ago, kariyaki said:

The funniest bit for me was the Indian tech guy's reaction to Murphy's flip phone.

Nothing wrong with a flip phone! THEY’RE FOR MAKING CALLS! ? I like to keep my internet separate and not there 24/7. 

Murphy gave Avery roots and wings and she’s so proud of him!

Edited by chitowngirl
  • Love 15

I was in high school when the show premiered. Loved it immediately, and devoured every episode. It's an absolute travesty that it isn't available for streaming, or even on DVD past the first season.

After sitting on it for about 12 hours, here are my thoughts:

The Good:

• The chemistry between Murphy and Avery. You honestly believed that they were mother and son.
  • By the end of the show, the returning characters all fell right into place.
  • Phylis. Not the same as Phil, of course, but she doesn't need to be. She and Murphy worked well off each other.
  • Aretha4Ever.
  • The shoutout to Eldin.
  • The idea that Murphy and Avery will be competing directly against each other. Has great potential for some good storylines.
  • Murphy's flip phone. Because of COURSE Murphy still has a flip phone.
  • The entire Trump flame war scene. Felt like vintage Murphy.
  • "BRING IT ON! HASHTAG DAN QUAYLE!" (I know that's part of my last point. Still a great line.)
  • The election montage during the credits. Set the tone perfectly.
  • The subtle-yet-obvious dig on Roseanne.
  • The Hillary cameo.

The Bad:

• Hillary's actual dialogue. Her line reading felt stilted and forced, and just screamed "Guest actor". Loved the idea they were going for, but the execution was kinda left wanting.
  • The opening scene at Phil's. Felt very sitcommy. I know it was necessary to establish where everyone was at after over two decades, but the dialogue felt kinda stiff. The show got better as it went along, but it was a steep hill to climb.
  • Miles' over-the-top mania. He was always a bundle of loose nerves wrapped in a three-piece suit, but it just seemed exaggerated to a cartoonish degree. Hopefully they'll tone it down a bit as they go along.

All in all, though, I liked it. Wasn't quite as good as I was hoping for, but it improved as the show went along, and once they shake off the rust, it definitely has potential to get back to where it once was.

• Love 16
4 hours ago, BW Manilowe said:

As I remember, they were definitely in a secret (as in nobody else at work knew) relationship of some kind. I keep thinking it went as far as a secret marriage, then Miles moved away for a new job (Grant Shaud left the original series before the end) &, if they were married, he asked Corky for a divorce in a snail mail letter. I hope they revisit whatever their relationship was back then; at least to remind us how they broke up.

I also hope Avery’s still a Manilow fan, since Murphy obviously still loves Motown. And I have to find out if Avery’s actually 28, like they said.

The mention of Eldin (& the late Robert Pastorelli) was sweet.

when Avery walked into Murphy's house and hugged her, I got a little something in my eye at that very moment while thinking of the "I Am Your Child" scene from the first run.  OMG that scene kills me!  

• Love 11
45 minutes ago, UYI said:

Diane English actually left at the end of season 4. She returned for the final season (season 10). 

Right, but most of the writers stayed until the last 2 years.  It was the last two years that the writers & CBS really changed the show from MUST SEE to humm, maybe but if I miss it, it's okay.

I was a fan of the first few years of Murphy Brown, started to lose interest after she had the baby and was involved with Scott Bakula, then really lost interest when the political humor became more and more twee and cutesy and 'inside' (the Newt Gingrich episode was one where I think I really had given up). I wasn't sure I'd go back because I felt like it had its time and place, but I gave it a try.

I finished the episode, and while I do get the criticisms, I was surprised the critics were as hard as they were. I didn't think it was that terrible. The laugh track annoyed me, and I had to skip the scenes near the end when she was facing off against Trump (the tweets were cleverly written, but the whole thing was just too smug and self-aware and it was distasteful to see them almost begging Trump to respond to the real life version [which I don't think is going to happen]). The other news segments weren't as bad, but they also didn't make me laugh very much. I will say that the cast got right back on the horse with their performances, even after all these years...especially Joe Regalbuto, who was always underrated. And the chemistry between Candice Bergen, Faith Ford, Joe and Grant Shaud is still solid. 

I'm glad that there were little moments to humble Murphy (like the young girl not recognizing her, and her being chastened that her "real news" talk show had become a trainwreck). This is much-needed, because even after all this time and with Bergen's somewhat softer delivery, the character still runs a huge risk of just trampling through scenes and stories. I wouldn't have much patience for the Trump elements without this balance. I hope it will continue.

I thought the scenes with Avery and Murphy were the highlight of the episode. I saw a review saying Hayley Joel Osment would have made more sense as Avery. I understand why they felt that way, but I liked Jake McDorman's performance. He was naturally charming and sweet, yet had a bit of a snarky edge to him, as Murphy's son naturally would. The bit of an edge helped make what is a very sheltered, Aaron Sorkin-esque writing choice (Avery is going to go on a conservative news channel and talk to "real people" about "real issues") feel more sincere.

Most importantly, Jake and Candice also seemed to really enjoy working together, making them a believable mother and son duo. Something just clicked. I actually believed this was Murphy and her child. And the chemistry between them goes a long way to help Murphy feel like a much more rounded person. I really got into those scenes.

So, I don't even know if this will get past a season, or if I will be there to the end of the season, but for now anyway, it has me.

Edited by Pete Martell
  • Love 9
12 hours ago, kariyaki said:

Up until four months ago I had a model older and less advanced than Murphy's. They were fine when all you wanted them for was phone calls!

Agreeing with everyone that the mother-son chemistry between Candice and Jake was perfect, and I don't think that's just because I want to lick my TV screen whenever he's on. It was also great to see the old gang back together and interacting. That part of the show is solid.

I wasn't thrilled by the on-air flamewar with the POTUS though, and I didn't have a hall long enough for watching the Clinton cameo from. Hope they can dial down the lack of subtlety as the show finds its legs, and pull comedy more from general wry observations about journalism and media and the characters' reactions to them.

• Love 5

The Wolf Network? ?

Murphy made a good-looking kid. Nice casting.

I'm kinda meh about the reboot so far but I'll give it three episodes.

She had me at “Interview with the Devil”.

That almost lost me right off the bat. I hate that song. Have to admit though, it was perfect for the opening montage.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, BW Manilowe said:

It may have to wait until Monday. Their Friday shows are pretaped, on Wednesday, more often than not.

Friday shows are live.  Usually Whoopi is off on Friday's and Joy is the moderator.  Whoppi's been on the past several Fridays since McCain is on extended family leave.  Maybe once in a blue moon they're taped, but as a whole, they're live on Fridays.  

• Love 1
19 minutes ago, TomGirl said:

I’d love to see Jane Leeves reprise her role as Audrey, Miles’ old girlfriend. She and Faith Ford are BFFs, so it might happen.

I'd forgotten that she was on. It would be great to have her back.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Empress1 said:

My mother has a smart phone now and she loves it, but she had a flip phone well past the time people had flip phones. (She does not, and will not, have any social media. I kind of think she has the right idea with that, though I do have it.) I went with her to the store to upgrade her phone and the salesperson was like " ..." when he saw her old phone. He was VERY nice and helpful to her, not mocking at all, but he had a similar "I didn't know people still had these" kind of reaction.

I remember watching this show when it was on the first time around but I didn't watch from the beginning because I would have been too young. I looked it up and it was on for 10 years, ending when I was in my teens so I think I started watching midway through. My parents both liked it, especially my mother and I remember watching with them. I remember what a big deal it was that Murphy was a single mother, and I remember how much Murphy liked music so "Arethaforever" was a nice nod. I really like her relationship with Avery who is now on "Wolf News" (DEAD). Avery is clearly very proud of his mom and there's a mutual respect there that I really liked.

I died during the tweet storm, y'all. "HASHTAG DAN QUAYLE." Also Frank's "Sad!" imitation made me laugh - the way he said it as he swiveled his head was just perfect. Season pass.

Small point: Murphy wasn’t a music fan— as in any kind of music. She was specifically a Motown fan (& when Avery was a baby she had to suffer the indignity, for her, of singing Barry Manilow songs to him when he got cranky or couldn’t sleep).

Edited by BW Manilowe
To add boldface type.
  • Love 11
5 hours ago, Trillian said:

She had me at “Interview with the Devil”.  Other than the canned laughter, what a joy. 

21 minutes ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

The Wolf Network? ?

That almost lost me right off the bat. I hate that song. Have to admit though, it was perfect for the opening montage.

It’s actually “Sympathy For The Devil”. By The Rolling Stones and it’s a pretty fitting song for the opening.

• Love 7
15 minutes ago, Chaos Theory said:

It’s actually “Sympathy For The Devil”. By The Rolling Stones and it’s a pretty fitting song for the opening.

Well, yeah, Anne Rice <> The Rolling Stones. I think the points made about the song's use in the premiere episode still stand.

• Love 1
42 minutes ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

The Wolf Network? ?

I can honestly say that I've never heard anyone say that they hate song.  My 85 yo dad, who was a big band fanatic, liked that song.  He didn't like much "rock and roll" but the Stones, Santana, Chicago and BST he really enjoyed.  I know its sooooo off topic, but why do you hate it?  If you can see my face, it just has utter confusion all over it.  :) 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, kariyaki said:

Being that Avery was SORAS*d a couple of years toward the end of the show's run, 28 years old works for me.

*SORAS = Soap Opera Rapid Aging Syndrome

28 actually works for me too; at least as a believable age for where he might be professionally now (I guess I’m thinking there of the late Tim Russert’s son, Luke Russert, who used to do political reporting for NBC/MSNBC when he was what seemed like straight outta college). It’s not as if Avery was a newborn in 1 episode, then ready to start school the next week (at least they let Avery be a baby in the show long enough to have that epic first birthday party Murphy missed due to travel issues, where who was supposed to be invited to the birthday party got messed up—by a daffy secretary—with a list of people involved in a professional thing Murphy was doing/working on, & which had no less than Barry Manilow as a guest/special entertainment, thanks to Avery’s “Uncle Frank”, as Murphy referred to Frank when talking with Avery in 1 scene last night). Or like in daytime dramas where children characters seem to go from birth to high school age within a month, at most, while the actors playing their parents look the same with the teen/adult child as when the character was born. That’s something I have trouble buying.

Edited by BW Manilowe
To change punctuation.
  • Love 4
5 hours ago, BW Manilowe said:

When Rosie O'Donnell was on the View (the first time) allegedly she was the one that pushed for the 4 day work week.  Once The View was taken over by the ABC News division and no longer handled by the daytime division, it went back to a Mon-Fri taping schedule soon after. 

10 hours ago, JakeyJokes said:

That idea of former View hosts showing up is genius!

That would mean Jenny McCarthy would show up and none of us deserve that. 

• Love 12
19 minutes ago, mtlchick said:

When Rosie O'Donnell was on the View (the first time) allegedly she was the one that pushed for the 4 day work week.  Once The View was taken over by the ABC News division and no longer handled by the daytime division, it went back to a Mon-Fri taping schedule soon after.

That would mean Jenny McCarthy would show up and none of us deserve that. 

I usually listen to see if the announcer says the show is live (if it’s a show normally aired live) during the opening when they list the guests/topics for that episode. Obviously, if they mention it being live, that day’s ep is live; if they don’t use the word live, I’m a little more skeptical as to whether it is or not.

Like, during the intro for The Talk, which is supposed to be another live talk show, they say “It’s (today’s date) & The Talk is live!”. When it’s (probably) not live, but pretaped to air on a specific date, they say the scheduled airdate (or even omit it entirely if it’s pretaped to air on a nonspecific date) & “It’s time for The Talk!”. Then I figure—plus if they aren’t talking about the big, or breaking, news story of the day like everyone else is—the show was pretaped. 

Edited by BW Manilowe
To add a comment.