Type keyword(s) to search

S37.E01: Appearances are Deceiving

Whimsy
  • Start Topic

This isn't a new rule, but we may have new posters and "old" posters who have "forgotten" the rule, so I am restating it here:

There is NO preview talk in the episode threads.  While not hard-core spoilers, previews contain information for the next episode that many of our posters avoid purposely.  To then accidentally read about the preview in the episode thread ruins the experience for them.  

We have a separate thread for Previews and (non-spoiler) Speculation.   Please take all preview talk there.  

PTV is a great site where the posters (mostly) respect each other.  Let's please keep it that way. 

Thanks and happy posting!!

• Love 7

Damn that was scary.  I was wondering why they edited out what happened until they started talking about it.  Already a downer with the Davids losing but that was rough, too.  I feel sorry for anyone that has to leave due to a medevac.  Especially the first few days.

• Love 23

I'm just so glad that this stupid show is back.  I won't know what's going on for the first 5-6 episodes, but I'm just glad it's back.  All the POC and Mike White are still in the show.  I'm shocked and I'm happy.  (Deliriously:) I'm just so glad it's back.

Also I have no idea what the theme means this season .  Poor people versus rich?  LOL I'm half in the bag.

I am cheering for anyone nerdy, anyone who grew up poor, anyone POC, and of course Mike White.  "School of Rock" is in my top 20 favourite movies of all time and I have him and Jack Black to thank.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 24

I’m bored with Fiji. 

3 minutes in and I wanted an impromptu TC where Angelina got voted off.  Then I wanted the whole Goliath tribe gone.  I don’t think I’ve ever enjoyed an opening challenge more than this one.  Glad the Davids at least got that one.

I think Jeff was already trying to walk back his own theme by telling the Goliaths ‘well, you’re kind of like Davids because you worked hard to get where you’re at’.  Make up your mind Probst!  I was hoping and praying that all the focus on Goliath meant they lost.  Even though editing was more balanced than normal, Goliath didn’t come off as well as David.  Should have known better. 

Is there ever a season where there’s not shelter building drama episode one?  Natalie may be digging her own grave.  She’s the oldest one on her tribe as it is so bossing everyone around probably isn’t doing her any favors.  Since I hate the rest of the Goliaths I like her.  Natalie for top Goliath!

And seriously, you know someone’s looking for an idol, why not go after them?  If he finds it, it’s not like he’s going anywhere.

Jessica’s “I think there’s a lot of cool people on that tribe and I’m not totally rooting against them” is code word for “how did that other blonde wind up on the hot tribe and I’m with the nerd herd?”

Not sure if Survivor plays men and women equally, but okay Angelina.  I didn’t want Mike to find the idol, but I really didn’t want Angelina and Natalia finding one.  Then hot cop found it and started running his mouth about being with the hot girls.  And purple string show?  Really?

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 23
1 minute ago, ElleryAnne said:

Gee, Jeff, way to turn someone's pain to your advantage by tying it to the theme.  Blech.

Speaking of the theme, I need it to be gone like yesterday.  I cannot do a season where half of the castaways are the human equivalent to the dogs in the commercials with the Sarah McLachlan song.

I've always thought it was funny that Probst just pops out of nowhere when there's a medevac.

• Love 19
3 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I'm just so glad that this stupid show is back.  I won't know what's going on for the first 5-6 episodes, but I'm just glad it's back.  All the POC and Mike White are still in the show.  I'm shocked and I'm happy.  (Deliriously:) I'm just so glad it's back.

Bad Survivor is still fantastic Survivor!  Next to sports, this is the only show I make a point to watch live.

I love you, show!

• Love 17

Episode isn’t over yet (for me...I am watching on DVR ) but I am already sick of the David vs. Goliath BS.  I know much of it is producer driven, but if we are going to hear “I’m a David b/c my family struggled with...” and “I’ve been a Goliath since birth!” all season long, I may not make it through the season. All the rationalizations of why or why not they fit their producer assigned tribe, along with Probst’s incessant bullying of the “nerds” & tongue bathing for the jocks, I am predicting a lot of FF’g in my future.

What’s with all the crying???  They’ve been on the island for 24 hours and they are already emotionally exhausted??  

Edited by BusyOctober
  • Love 18
5 minutes ago, Pepper the Cat said:

Well, that was just devastating.

to go out on an injury on what, day 2, 3??

i wish they had given an update on how Pat is.

They gave an update after his final words.   He recovered completely.  Thank goodness.  

Hated then liked and then hated the prosecutor.   And the Goliaths have a couple of choices when the go to their first tribal council 

• Love 10

I wonder how bad he was hurt?  I thought at first maybe he just got the wind knocked out of him bad.  I probably shouldn't say this, but if someone was injured, glad it was a freak of nature and not a poorly designed challenge this time.

• Love 8
8 minutes ago, LadyChatts said:

Damn that was scary.  I was wondering why they edited out what happened until they started talking about it.  Already a downer with the Davids losing but that was rough, too.  I feel sorry for anyone that has to leave due to a medevac.  Especially the first few days.

They don't have cameras on the boat (or van) that transports them to challenges, tribal council, etc.

• Love 8
2 minutes ago, LadyChatts said:

I think Jeff was already trying to walk back his own theme by telling the Goliaths ‘well, you’re kind of like Davids because you worked hard to get where you’re at’.  Make up your mind Probst! 

I was rolling my eyes, at the beginning with the theme talk. 

And continued rolling them, when all the Goliath's were making rookie dumb mistakes; bossing people around, looking for idols, showmance. Well I guess, I know which team I'm rooting for.

Then this stupid show got me all emotional, with the talk in the shelter between all the David's. That was a great scene on what makes Survivor so good, all these different people bonding and supporting each other.

Was scared for Pat, not my favorite person on the tribe(bossypants) but omg the pain he must have been going through and not wanting to leave the game, ya got me show.

I like pretty much everyone on the David tribe, since the lawyer stopped being a douche.

• Love 21
9 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Why the hell was Mike subtitled saying “...hoisted up by my own petard?”  It was clear as fucking day what he said.

Just what I came here to ask! The only thing I can think of is that they did not want viewers to hear "petard" and mistake it for another word because somehow they've never heard this phrase.

Edited by BookThief
  • Love 18

First thought?  Mike White is a Goliath?  Really?

That nonstop, relentless rain was brutal. Yikes. So demoralizing to be cold and wet as well as hungry. 

Poor Pat. He was in a whole lot of pain. His face was almost purple. 

There are a few annoying people but no one I can say I hate yet. I look forward to them losing the theme though. That is already old. 

• Love 20
1 minute ago, BusyOctober said:

Episode isn’t over yet, but I am already sick of the David vs. Goliath BS.  I know much of it is producer driven, but if we are going to hear “I’m a David b/c my family struggled with...” and “I’ve been a Goliath since birth!” all season long, I may not make it through the season. All the rationalizations of why or why not they fit their producer assigned tribe, along with Probst’s incessant bullying of the “nerds” & tongue bathing for the jocks, I am predicting a lot of FF’g in my future.

What’s with all the crying???  They’ve been on the island for 24 hours and they are already emotionally exhausted??  

I feel the same way. Every time someone said I’m a David or I’m a Goliath I was rolling my eyes so hard I got a headache. I foresee a lot of headaches this season if I make it.

Day 2 and the David tribe is spilling their guts with their stories and crying. Maybe it was because of the depressing weather. 

• Love 10
1 minute ago, BookThief said:

Just what I came here to ask! The only thing I can think of is that they did not want viewers to hear "petard" and mistake it for another word. because somehow they've never heard this phrase.

Right?!?  I mean, as soon as anyone on earth says the word “hoisted”, 99% of the time it’s followed by “my own petard”.  I thought that was a pretty common expression.

• Love 12

Wow. Things got dark. Usual blend of personalities, Christian trying to get on a "Real Life Sheldons" series with Cochran, Dan falls for Kara (yes, spelled just like Supergirl!), Pat going aggro with being enthusiastic, Mike not bursting into flames thanks to the rain . . . and then Pat almost dies. Okay, probably not close, but he looked fucked up, and he did not want to go. I'm hoping he comes back, because nobody deserves to get booted by a wave. It's like getting severely injured during the theme music to Gilligan's Island.

Oh, and Probst lodges his head halfway up his ass on the ship. It's a gift. Kudos to the one David person pointing out that that David wound up a king. Thank goodness that person skipped the part where David had to collect Philistine foreskins to marry a woman. Or something. Hey, I wanted to take Bible in college, but the professor went on sabbatical that term. I wound up with philosophy and a D-minus.

Barring disaster, Mike will have surpassed Nadiya Anderson's mark of three days in the game. Next up for the ex-Racer: Natalie Anderson, with 39 days. And a million bucks. Hey, no pressure. Bad form going idol hunting, though. I hope that doesn't bite him. I guess he was a Survivor geek from the start. And I liked that he was recognized as an ex-Racer. But that make him a target, even though he didn't win either time.

Anybody else wants someone to ask John if Mike "The Miz" Mizanin still takes his calls? I was amused by the collection of nicknames he had, as well as his currently gimmick as an ugly American in Mexico. You want to piss Mexicans off, you tell 'em luchadors wear masks to hide the ugly.

Christian . . . I thin he's overselling. Just . .. . please stop.

Natalie has people that would take a bullet for her? Damn. Even if she's Philip-level deluded, that's one helluva line. Fuck, I'd put that on my business card if I thought it was true for me.

Seriously, Pat should come back. I know he was too into things, but you don't want anyone to be sprawled out like that in obvious pain, begging not to get lifted.

14 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Bad Survivor is still fantastic Survivor!  Next to sports, this is the only show I make a point to watch live.

Swap out "Survivor" for "The Amazing Race," and you capture my feelings. I can't remember the last season where I was satisfied throughout. The tie last season was pretty cool, though.

Edited by Lantern7
  • Love 8

Like everyone else, I like the David tribe and the Nerd alliances.  A promising start!

Has there ever before been a black guy on the show who identified himself as a "Blerd?"  A black nerd?  Love it!  I predict the smart science geeks, nerds and techies on David will win.

• Love 21

Wow, so much for nuFiji's perfect record of no medavacs. That was brutal.

I liked the organic sharing of stories with each other on the David tribe. Nary a contrived Ghost Island cry-fest monologue in sight. Though I was worried when Nick had this squirrely gamebot-y edit, and then was like "and my mom died." I seriously thought, "he ... didn't just make that up, did he? Please tell me we're not making up dead mother stories now."

Angelina is working my last nerve, though.

• Love 21
Just now, Eolivet said:

Wow, so much for nuFiji's perfect record of no medavacs. That was brutal.

I liked the organic sharing of stories with each other on the David tribe. Nary a contrived Ghost Island cry-fest monologue in sight. Though I was worried when Nick had this squirrely gamebot-y edit, and then was like "and my mom died." I seriously thought, "he ... didn't just make that up, did he? Please tell me we're not making up dead mother stories now."

Angelina is working my last nerve, though.

Hope someone can clue me in.....When Nick was sharing his story about his mother dying of an overdose someone (who?) said Dude you should have saved that for later, or words to that effect.  I thought that was a reference to the guy several seasons ago who won by playing the dying mother card at Final tribal  Who was that?

• Love 1
Just now, susannot said:

Dude you should have saved that for later, or words to that effect. 

Someone said that? I missed that. Ha, oh Adam Klein, that is your Survivor legacy.

I was more thinking along the lines of Johnny Fairplay and his dead grandmother, but heh.

• Love 10

The robotics guy (Christian) makes me think he's an actor playing a stereotypical nerd.  The way he talks, his mannerisms and the way he dresses seem fake and too on-the-nose to be real.  Also the public defender who lost his mother to a drug overdose seemed to be fake-crying when telling his story to the others.  Maybe it's just me being cynical but I think the producers are screwing with us more than usual.

• Love 18
22 minutes ago, Whimsy said:

Because he’s a successful writer/director/actor. I think “David vs Goliath” is just a nicer way to say “privileged vs down trodden” or something. I think that everyone on the David tribe has had it rough either socially, economically, etc and the Goliath tribe had just floated through life, doing well with little effort. That’s my take right now, anyway. 

What I got from Jeff's explanation (using Allison as an example) is that the Davids never really had any assets to begin with. Everything in life has been an upward battle for them. They don't have the supportive families or communities, they didn't have a middle class upbringing, and people aren't going to give them a job or loan based on any connections or networking. If they fall, they have nothing to soften the blow.

In contrast, the Goliaths had some sort of support system. They may have worked their rear ends off to get where they were, but if they had options available to them that simple weren't available to the Davids, and there's a good chance that if they get fired or screw up, they won't end up homeless. People have their backs.

Ever heard the old Everlast song "What It's Like?" My impression of the theme made me think of that song.

And wow. Poor Pat.

Link to youtube of What It's Like:

https://youtu.be/qA1nGPM9yHA

• Love 17
11 hours ago, cdnalor said:

The robotics guy (Christian) makes me think he's an actor playing a stereotypical nerd.  The way he talks, his mannerisms and the way he dresses seem fake and too on-the-nose to be real.  Also the public defender who lost his mother to a drug overdose seemed to be fake-crying when telling his story to the others.  Maybe it's just me being cynical but I think the producers are screwing with us more than usual.

Well, include me in the cynical club because I told  Mr. Babalooie the exact thing.  Reality shows are not all real, as we know.  It's  show biz.

Edited by Babalooie
  • Love 7

I thought the editing was weird around Nick's story.  One minute he's sitting in daylight while everyone's pouring the their hearts out, the next it's night and he's got a weirded out expression on his face.  

Overall I thought the editing wasn't bad but there were parts that were just strange.

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 4
53 minutes ago, mojoween said:

I’m glad to see that Pat fully recovered.  Now screw HIPAA, tell me what his injuries were!

Oh, he can explain it during the 3 seconds they give him at the reunion.

Already sick of all the I'm a Goliath because blah blah blah, as a David I do/act blah blah blah. It would be hilarious if  sometime before the merge, Peachy would tell them that It's all BS and we picked the teams by drawing names out of a hat.

• Love 17
1 minute ago, LanceM said:

Yeah call me cynical too. I was waiting for Nick to say in confessional laughing that his Mom was back home watching Jerry Springer.

Add SimplyMom and me to the list. It was really awkward to discover we'd been mocking the man for lying when he then went on in his confessional to talk about her being dead and we realized that he was apparently (?) sincere. 

• Love 9
10 minutes ago, LadyChatts said:

I thought the editing was weird around Nick's story.  One minute he's sitting in daylight while everyone's pouring the their hearts out, the next it's night and he's got a weirded out expression on his face.  

Overall I thought the editing wasn't bad but there were parts that were just strange.

It took that long for him to think up a sob story.

• Love 7
1 minute ago, howiveaddict said:

Oh, he can explain it during the 3 seconds they give him at the reunion.

Already sick of all the I'm a Goliath because blah blah blah, as a David I do/act blah blah blah. It would be hilarious if  sometime before the merge, Peachy would tell them that It's all BS and we picked the teams by drawing names out of a hat.

I think the Goliaths would take it harder than the Davids.

Also, I think them giving an update on Pat means we won't hear from him at the reunion.  

• Love 8
1 hour ago, mojoween said:

It is going to be a LOOOOOOONG season if in every interview the contestants are made to say it’s a David or Goliath way to do something.  Peachy yakking on about it constantly is already exhausting.

Haha I was checking in here today on my Married at First Sight forum when Mr P asked if I was checking on Survivor because he wanted to know what the theme meant - I told him I was sure we'd find out tonight from Jeff, followed by every contestant giving their "As a _____" speech, and in my example to him I said, "As a David, I'm scrappy" - so we got a laugh out of the girl who used that term in her "As a _____" monologue :)

59 minutes ago, Rachel RSL said:

I’m not crazy about the Goliath people so far. I can’t stand the idiot who seems more interested in showmances than Survivor, of course he finds the idol. 

As a fatty who would love to be a former fatty, I can sympathize with him being excited with his new self.  He seems like a big dummy, but right now I still like him.  My dream showmance at this point, however, would be Gabby and Christian :D

33 minutes ago, susannot said:

Like everyone else, I like the David tribe and the Nerd alliances.  A promising start!

Has there ever before been a black guy on the show who identified himself as a "Blerd?"  A black nerd?  Love it!  I predict the smart science geeks, nerds and techies on David will win.

I'm loving it too!  A young friend of mine is so excited because he just got hired for his dream job at Microsoft - I'm looking forward to calling him a blerd :)

30 minutes ago, Eolivet said:

I was worried when Nick had this squirrely gamebot-y edit, and then was like "and my mom died." I seriously thought, "he ... didn't just make that up, did he? Please tell me we're not making up dead mother stories now."

It makes me feel better to know that I wasn't the only one who "smelled a Fairplay" :)

• Love 15

Random thoughts on episode 1 - "Advantage:  Producers"

• The opening challenge on the ship, while admittedly a cool idea that played out well, showed where the advantage really lies and always lies:  with the Producers.  Giving the Davids the choice of tasks was much more meaningful than picking the "strongest" and "weakest" contestants on first impressions.
  • For some reason, Robo-nerd reminds me of Greg Kinnear, but younger and with more hair. 
  • They caught the octopus two boots too early to divvy it up easily.

This was a solid start for the season, and I don't hate the theme ... yet.  There was one thing, though, about the premier that I already hate.  In the immortal words of Chrissy Hynde, "It is time for you to stop all of your sobbing."  Please, show, we're not even close to the dreaded, maudlin "loved ones" episode.  Give them some food or a tarp or something.

• Love 10

It's always a letdown when the premiere ens in a medivac and noone is actually voted out.

Looking back, it was a sign that S24: One World was gonna suck that I didn't know at the time. I already was underwhelmed with the theme of this season since it's pretty obvious to me that a "David" is gonna win it but now it's official. I'm out.

• Love 2

I like the David tribe way more than the Goliath tribe. The David tribe get along really well and work well together. I enjoy all of their personalities. 

Glad the Davids won the first challenge on the boat, and hated when the Goliaths won immunity. Felt bad for Pat for not wanting to leave though he had to to treat his injury. Happy to hear he's doing better.

Edited by TVFan1
  • Love 7