Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 35 (2018-2019)

Athena
  • Start Topic

Today's episode pointed out another strong suit of James'...his quick thinking! I probably could have gotten the "now and later" questions but he did it so quickly I didn't have a chance; it was unbelievable! Knowing a question is one thing, but putting things together like he does is just amazing!

• Love 9

From the article linked below (this particular quote made me sad):

Trebek was honest about the lows Wednesday morning as well, explaining that though "my oncologist tells me I'm doing well," because of his chemotherapy treatment, he often has "surges of deep, deep sadness, and it brings tears to my eyes."

Alex was also quoted as saying (about James):

"He has forced me to change a view that I've had for many years ... that the Ken Jennings record will never be broken," Trebek said.

https://www.goodmorningamerica.com/culture/story/alex-trebek-cancer-battle-inspiration-millions-62734920

• Love 2
40 minutes ago, suebee12 said:

Today's episode pointed out another strong suit of James'...his quick thinking! I probably could have gotten the "now and later" questions but he did it so quickly I didn't have a chance; it was unbelievable! Knowing a question is one thing, but putting things together like he does is just amazing!

Can y'all please not post about a particular day's game until after 7pm Eastern?  There used to be a pinned post to that effect.  Thanks!

• Love 4
4 hours ago, bad things are bad said:

FJ was solvable for me, having lived in West Germany as a kid, while Bonn was still the capital--was very lucky to have been able to travel to Paris and Berlin so I had a feel for the locations

I screwed up the question a week or so ago with Berlin being the capital because I too lived in West Germany three times during my life as a military brat. So I was relieved to get this one.

1 hour ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

I could spell my way out of a prison camp, but if math was required for a second chance at life, well, I'm out.

Me too. I've always said if I ever got on Jeopardy, I would probably Claven it.

• Love 2
20 hours ago, Moose135 said:

We didn't get the show tonight - there was a shooting on the campus of a university about 2 miles away from me, it started about an hour before J! normally airs, and we had wall-to-wall news coverage.

You live close to me!  I'm in Cleveland County, North Carolina.  This shooting was heartbreaking because it was so senseless plus, UNC-Charlotte is my alma mater.  I was hoping WCNC would show it later but they didn't. 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

I could spell my way out of a prison camp, but if math was required for a second chance at life, well, I'm out.

We could keep each other company in that Math Prison Camp. I'd get a life sentence.

• LOL 5
  • Love 3

For FJ tonight, I thought the answer was too obvious, so I said Pestilence instead.  Ugh.  Go with the obvious, Katy.

I can't believe nobody got aardvark.  I actually got some of the before and afters.  So many times, I only know half the answer.  

• Love 3

After 20 wins, he's still at $76K/game.  Unbelievable.

I swept the AMA category; several were doublegets (had it with either the clue or the video).

When James gets all the $1000 clues in SJ with the first six choices, the audience should applaud as though he ran the category.  It would be appropriate, because to him, the dollar values are the real category.

• Love 5
7 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I don't dislike James, and certainly admire his skills, but I'm getting tired of having the same champion, and am bored with runaway games.  I'm not going to stop watching, but if I miss a show, I'm not gonna be upset either.

In my city, we get a Jeopardy rerun on Saturday evenings. It was a show from 2017, and I was surprised at how boring I found it. Everyone started out at the $200 category and worked down, everyone made safe bets, everyone played so cautiously. I am loving James and the way he plays, and I hope he breaks Jennings record for most games won.

• Love 12

Just caught the final few questions and FJ tonight.  Missed FJ making me 1/3 on the week so far.  (Surprised I didn't go up in flames just attempting tonight's FJ, lol).

We should avoid spoiler posts, right?  Asking for a friend...

(edited)
5 hours ago, Mystery Author said:

THIS!

I give the proceeds from one of my books to Canine Companions and the proceeds from another to IFAW (International Fund for Animal Welfare). I also donate to the ACLU and political candidates. Why? Because it makes ME feel good 🙂

I'm still enjoying James. Eventually, he has to lose. He'll bet big on a DD and miss. But until he does, I'm rooting for him.

I know he uses meaningful numbers, like honoring the victims of the mass shootings, but he could have bet a lot more money on such an easy category like Drugs that start with "L." With all the direct marketing to consumers who doesn't know all of these drugs by name? I bet my entire imaginary winnings and got it right. 😉

Edited by SpiritSong
Good on you for donating to such worthy causes, Mystery Author.
  • Love 3

Instaget FJ tonight, although I second-guessed myself, trying to come up with another one.  I couldn't, though, so I stuck with my first impulse, and good for me, finally got one right!

• Love 4
(edited)
50 minutes ago, SpiritSong said:

In my city, we get a Jeopardy rerun on Saturday evenings. It was a show from 2017, and I was surprised at how boring I found it. Everyone started out at the $200 category and worked down, everyone made safe bets, everyone played so cautiously. I am loving James and the way he plays, and I hope he breaks Jennings record for most games won.

We get a Jeopardy rerun late night Sundays. I watched this week and agree completely with you. Starting at the top and working down, a $2,000 DD bet is extravagant. And that show was SO BORING I couldn't finish watching. I hope future players adopt James' style and continue to kick the board's butt and move things along.

23 minutes ago, SpiritSong said:

With all the direct marketing to consumers who doesn't know all of these drugs by name?

*raises hand* I didn't. And don't.

57 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I can't believe nobody got aardvark.

Because it's an animal. Animal categories are the bane of Jeopardy players. Last zoo I went to, I sat and watched the aardvark for ages. I also remember The Ant and the Aardvark cartoons.

For the Triple I answer of initiate, I said indoctrination. It fit the category, just not the sentence structure of the clue. I did get the TS of ratification.

I misread FJ and thought they were asking for the one that was INexplicitly named. All I could come up with was Death, and didn't know why that was a name that didn't suit, but I couldn't come up with any of the other three. I guess because none of them were explicitly named! So, I got FJ totally by default.

I lost the game, however, by one point.

50 minutes ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

We should avoid spoiler posts, right?  Asking for a friend...

It's okay to talk here about today's show after 7 p.m. eastern. Before that, no. Tell your friend!

6 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I stuck with my first impulse, and good for me, finally got one right!

Drinks all around on @Browncoat!

Edited by saber5055
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
59 minutes ago, Katy M said:

For FJ tonight, I thought the answer was too obvious, so I said Pestilence instead.  Ugh.  Go with the obvious, Katy.

As a big fan of the 90s tv series Highlander, I got this right away. There were two great episodes featuring the 4 Horsemen. 

• Love 2
6 hours ago, Katy M said:

LOL, I had to read this 5 times before I understood.  I thought "Monday's Jeopardy FJ answer" was some kind of thing.  Like a trivia section of the Newspaper.

I still don’t get it!

• Love 2
(edited)
5 minutes ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

Okay, thanks.  I assumed (dummy) that we were considering a 3 hr. time difference to PT.

Contrary to popular belief, I don't know everything so I double checked in the Mod thread. Here is the posted rule:

"Jeopardy! spoilers:

Since the show airs at different times in many markets, please avoid posting information about any new episode of the day before 7PM ET / 6PM CT / 5PM MT / 4PM PT. If absolutely necessary, you can spoiler tag it. This allows for posters to watch it in their own local TV markets.  Thank you."

I'm central time, but I don't post about the day's episode until after 7 p.m. central. Just to be safe.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 5

Since the show airs at different times in many markets, please avoid posting information about any new episode of the day before 7PM ET / 6PM CT / 5PM MT / 4PM PT. If absolutely necessary, you can spoiler tag it. This allows for posters to watch it in their own local TV markets.  Thank you."

I'm central time, but I don't post about the day's episode until after 7 p.m. central. Just to be safe.

Thank you for sharing this - I had no idea! I'm also in central time but it airs for me at 4:30, and sometimes I watch it almost right away.

This is such a small observation, but I thought James's facial response upon getting the lithium question made it seem like he knows it well. (Which is not to say he himself has bipolar, just that someone in his life might - which is true for a lot of us, really.)

The male challenger seemed strong at first, and then James just bulldozed everything in sight. It's something to behold. I'm still enjoying the spectacle!

• Love 6
3 minutes ago, hendersonrocks said:

This is such a small observation, but I thought James's facial response upon getting the lithium question made it seem like he knows it well.

LOL, that was the only clue/answer in that category that I knew. Lithium is old, and there are many jokes about it and what it can do, which is how I knew it. And again contrary to popular belief, I am not bipolar.

• LOL 4
16 minutes ago, hendersonrocks said:

Thank you for sharing this - I had no idea! I'm also in central time but it airs for me at 4:30, and sometimes I watch it almost right away.

This is such a small observation, but I thought James's facial response upon getting the lithium question made it seem like he knows it well. (Which is not to say he himself has bipolar, just that someone in his life might - which is true for a lot of us, really.)

The male challenger seemed strong at first, and then James just bulldozed everything in sight. It's something to behold. I'm still enjoying the spectacle!

EST (DST) here, and the show airs at 7:30pm in our market.

• Love 1
56 minutes ago, SpiritSong said:

As a big fan of the 90s tv series Highlander, I got this right away. There were two great episodes featuring the 4 Horsemen. 

I saw those.  I know all the horsemen, but for whatever reason I didn't think the anser could possibly be Death, because it seemed like that would be the answer.  If that makes any sense.  Which, of course, it doesn't.  

On the drug category, I think I got the $200 clue.  

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, lb60 said:

I love James.

I just think it looks better as an out of context stand alone quote 😀

• LOL 6
  • Love 2
52 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Contrary to popular belief, I don't know everything so I double checked in the Mod thread. Here is the posted rule:

"Jeopardy! spoilers:

This isn't actually true, since my station doesn't air J! until 7pm PT.  That would mean people on ET wouldn't be able to post until 10pm, so I'm perfectly fine with these guidelines, of course.  I'm nothing if not reasonable at least once a year. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 3

I don’t know how big the screen is when the contestants see the clips but good lord on the Billboard clue you could literally see GoGos flashing on the floor of the stage during their clip. 

• LOL 8

I didn’t need any of the video clues in the Billboard Music Awards category.

I loved the Before & After category, as I always do.  They could put one of those in every game and I'd be happy.

The General Foods TS surprised me, since they were spotted “General” by the category.

It's rare for me to get a biblical clue correct, but I knew FJ was referring to the four horsemen, and I know the painting, so I had a one in four chance and picked the right one.  Good for me.

• Love 2
8 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

I don’t know how big the screen is when the contestants see the clips but good lord on the Billboard clue you could literally see GoGos flashing on the floor of the stage during their clip. 

If my tv were bigger, I would have been able to answer that clue.

• LOL 2

I always enjoy Before and After, but sometimes I forget the category and am confused. I hate when that happens.

The only TS I got was aardvark. 

I didn't get FJ. I said Pale Rider. Maybe I had Clint Eastwood on the brain.

• LOL 6
  • Love 1
(edited)
16 minutes ago, Bastet said:

It's rare for me to get a biblical clue correct, but I knew FJ was referring to the four horsemen, and I know the painting, so I had a one in four chance and picked the right one.  Good for me.

I also rarely get Bible clues but my dad has made me watch every Clint Eastwood movie multiple times and explained the title of Pale Rider using the quote “And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him." We are not a religious family. It continues through the generations my seven year old niece was watching the Avengers with her parents this weekend and one of the characters said “Jesus” and she replied “I’ve heard of him I watched a YouTube video about him disappearing in a cave and coming back.” 

Edited by biakbiak
  • LOL 6
  • Love 6
11 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I'm not familiar with the Saint James Bible, so what my brain came up with was Valkyrie and Apocalypse.  LOL

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, opus said:

I just think it looks better as an out of context stand alone quote 😀

Hilarious 😂 I love your sense of humour!

• Love 1

The interview with Alex was on our national news in Canada tonight... I adored the way he looked directly at the camera and said that he's discovered through his experience with cancer that he's "a bit of a wuss..."

He mentioned he has days when he's depressed. He's not sure why.

Oh, Alex - we love you and wish you well. God bless. *hug*

• Love 10
(edited)

James is blowing my mind.*

I wonder how many people are watching J! with a somewhat "WTFrig" look on their face, while watching him chew across categories. He reminds me of those PacMan guys.

*(I'm a bit in love with James, his skill, his speed, his do, and his eyes. His references to his daughter make my heart smile.)

Edited by Bliss
*just to poke lb60
  • Love 12
6 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

James has been to 14 countries. That speaks a lot to me.

I remember him saying that, and thought he was referring to his daughter - that she'd been to 14 countries. Perhaps I heard it incorrectly (brain isn't on full power these days)... and my thought was a 'wondering' if he'd been to more, before she became part of his world.

He mentioned Iceland... and Italy... if my memory is correct, and I thought that if they drove from the UK to Italy, that'd be a fair number of those 14.

I love traveling in Europe - you can hit several countries in one day... unlike Canada where it takes me 6 days of driving for me to travel from one of my daughters' homes to the other. So I fly.

• Love 3
14 minutes ago, Bliss said:

I remember him saying that, and thought he was referring to his daughter - that she'd been to 14 countries.

LOL! I just "ass"umed he accompanied her to those 14 since she is only 4. It could be he has been to dozens more than that. But now that I think about it, maybe he hasn't been to any, just his daughter has.

Gah! I don't know anything anymore!

• LOL 5

I got the TS of ratification and FJ. James is a machine blah, blah, blah. 

8 hours ago, Bliss said:

"He has forced me to change a view that I've had for many years ... that the Ken Jennings record will never be broken," Trebek said.

Leads me to believe we will be seeing James in season 36. Speculation not spoiler.

3 hours ago, SpiritSong said:

I know he uses meaningful numbers, like honoring the victims of the mass shootings, but he could have bet a lot more money on such an easy category like Drugs that start with "L." With all the direct marketing to consumers who doesn't know all of these drugs by name? I bet my entire imaginary winnings and got it right. 😉

I didn't know what the L in LSD stood for but I think I answered all the others correctly. 

3 hours ago, saber5055 said:

For the Triple I answer of initiate, I said indoctrination. It fit the category, just not the sentence structure of the clue. I did get the TS of ratification.

Since the clue also mentioned beginning something, I think your answer would be ruled as incorrect. Unless Alex liked you, then in that case it's a go, unless the judges woke up from their naps and overruled. 50-50 

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
(edited)
7 hours ago, saber5055 said:

LOL! I just "ass"umed he accompanied her to those 14 since she is only 4.

Well, we know they have been to Ireland(I think that is where the llama spit at James) and Russia since he talked about the playgrounds. I am betting he and his wife traveled before they had their daughter so no telling how many countries they have been to!

My son teaches Russian History at Mississippi State and has traveled to Russia many times. In fact my granddaugher was "made" in Russia but was born in the USA. I have lots of photos of their travels in Europe and Asia and they have loads of photos of the playgrounds. It is fun to live vicariously through their travels!! Next trip later this month to the Netherlands and Belgium....I am truly jealous of this trip!

Edited by suebee12
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, biakbiak said:

I also rarely get Bible clues but my dad has made me watch every Clint Eastwood movie multiple times and explained the title of Pale Rider using the quote “And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him." We are not a religious family. It continues through the generations my seven year old niece was watching the Avengers with her parents this weekend and one of the characters said “Jesus” and she replied “I’ve heard of him I watched a YouTube video about him disappearing in a cave and coming back.” 

One of my favorite movies is Tombstone (1993).  Val Kilmer was the best Doc Holliday. Ever. In the film, there's a great exchange between a couple of the bad guys, after they have shot up a Mexican town, just for kicks.

Curly Bill: Hey Johnny, what did that Mexican mean by a sick horse is going to get us?

Johnny Ringo: He was quoting the Bible, Revelations. "Behold the pale horse". The man who "sat on him was Death... and Hell followed with him".

And that's why I got Final Jeopardy!

• LOL 1
  • Love 9
7 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Instaget FJ tonight, although I second-guessed myself, trying to come up with another one.  I couldn't, though, so I stuck with my first impulse, and good for me, finally got one right!

Not me. Bible and sports are my Jeopardy bugbears. I know next to nothing about the the KJ Bible. (I’m Jewish raised in non religious family.)

I’d have written in What Is Jumpin’ Jehosaphat? for last night’s FJ. After wagering zero dollars. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
(edited)
7 hours ago, saber5055 said:

We get a Jeopardy rerun late night Sundays. I watched this week and agree completely with you. Starting at the top and working down, a $2,000 DD bet is extravagant. And that show was SO BORING I couldn't finish watching. I hope future players adopt James' style and continue to kick the board's butt and move things along.

*raises hand* I didn't. And don't.

Because it's an animal. Animal categories are the bane of Jeopardy players. Last zoo I went to, I sat and watched the aardvark for ages. I also remember The Ant and the Aardvark cartoons.

I misread FJ and thought they were asking for the one that was INexplicitly named. All I could come up with was Death, and didn't know why that was a name that didn't suit, but I couldn't come up with any of the other three. I guess because none of them were explicitly named! So, I got FJ totally by default.

I lost the game, however, by one point.

It's okay to talk here about today's show after 7 p.m. eastern. Before that, no. Tell your friend!

Drinks all around on @Browncoat!

I was surprised no one got ratification.  I didn’t realize animals were a problem for contestants. I didn’t get aardvark either!  

Edited by GussieK
  • Love 1
(edited)

Tonight I surprised myself by getting all the before and afters.  I usually whiff on those ‘cause you have to think really fast before they say the answer. 

Edited by GussieK
  • Love 2
9 hours ago, Brookside said:

Since the show airs at different times in many markets, please avoid posting information about any new episode of the day before 7PM ET / 6PM CT / 5PM MT / 4PM PT.

We live in NJ and my husband was in St. Louis for business on Monday and Tuesday. He texted me a picture of himself with James in the background on the tv...it was only 4:30 central!!  I guess since it’s syndicated each market that picks it up can air it whenever they want? Either way I was very adamant I wouldn’t speak to him until 7:30 eastern because he is a horrible secret keeper.

• LOL 3
  • Love 3
13 hours ago, shlbycindyk said:

You live close to me!  I'm in Cleveland County, North Carolina.  This shooting was heartbreaking because it was so senseless plus, UNC-Charlotte is my alma mater.  I was hoping WCNC would show it later but they didn't. 

I live close by in Charlotte.

Horrible situation, but the one person that died it seems jumped the shooter to stop him from doing more harm.  A true hero.  Sacrificed himself

44 minutes ago, mostlylurking said:

We live in NJ and my husband was in St. Louis for business on Monday and Tuesday. He texted me a picture of himself with James in the background on the tv...it was only 4:30 central!!  I guess since it’s syndicated each market that picks it up can air it whenever they want? Either way I was very adamant I wouldn’t speak to him until 7:30 eastern because he is a horrible secret keeper.

When I was on my Road Trip last year, one town I rolled into shows J! at 11 in the morning (CDT). Needless to say, I missed that day's show.

10 hours ago, Katy M said:

I saw those.  I know all the horsemen, but for whatever reason I didn't think the answer could possibly be Death, because it seemed like that would be the answer.  If that makes any sense.  Which, of course, it doesn't. 

Makes sense to me, because that's exactly why I whiffed it. I tossed aside Death and tried naming the other Horsemen and only got two (the third came to me as I started this post...sigh)

10 hours ago, Bastet said:

I loved the Before & After category, as I always do.  They could put one of those in every game and I'd be happy.

Whereas that would make me miserable. I hate those categories. But it's good that they have something for everyone - both strengths and weaknesses.

9 hours ago, saber5055 said:

James has been to 14 countries. That speaks a lot to me.

It told me he wasn't exactly hurting for cash before coming on Jeopardy. Good at his profession - as we can tell by his playing.

8 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

I didn't know what the L in LSD stood for but I think I answered all the others correctly.

Before your time? 😉 The old farts on my couch got it right away.

• LOL 4
  • Love 4
13 hours ago, SpiritSong said:

I decided after last night that I'm not making an effort to watch until after James is gone.  Runaway games bore the crap out of me.

• Love 3