Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Athena

Jeopardy! Season 35 (2018-2019)

4 hours ago, j5cochran said:

After the Thursday game was over, Alex Trebek wandered by and spotted me in the audience. 
"You're still here!?!", he said, pleasantly, as if it were a nice surprise.

I very much like this. Makes him seem like a kind person. Thanks for sharing, it's a neat story. Or, addition to the bigger story!

• Like 6

I don’t think Caroline should get credit for answers “holy roller” because that does not come before those words. 

I also thought that John should have gotten a be more specific for Bush.

• Like 5

Quite a few TS tonight.  Chateaubriand was a little surprising, given they were spotted both “C” and that it’s a steak dish for two.  (I’m not a big beef eater, so I don’t spend a lot of time in steakhouses, but enough to have seen it on many a menu over the years, plus seen it on some PBS cooking shows.)

Ammonia and Shogun were also a bit surprising, but Yeomen including a picture is the one I'd have bet big that everyone would know, never mind just one.  Oops.

Wow – the Burt Lancaster TS didn’t result in a “before your time.”

For FJ, I remembered the news story about the shredding right away, but it took me so long to come up with the artist's name, I wouldn't have had time to write it down had I been playing -- it was "that Girl With Balloon guy" up until pretty much the final second.

• Like 1

I can't remember the Yeoman question, but would Beefeater (my guess) have been acceptable?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, j5cochran said:

When I saw the Abbreviated Reality Shows category, my heart sunk.  I didn't stand a chance because I hate reality shows (there is no reality in them!).

Ain't that the truth! Ugh. I could figure out the RHOA one, but a couple of the other shows I had never heard of.

Their makeup artists are wizards!  I have never looked so good in my life.  The woman who did my makeup answered my questions and gave me some hints on doing my own - I apparently need an orangey concealer for under my eyes, to hide the blue circles.

Thanks for the info. I always wondered if they did the makeup. I assumed they did but wasn't sure.  

11 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

I don’t think Caroline should get credit for answers “holy roller” because that does not come before those words. 

I can't remember what was in the clue, but when she said this, I thought it sounded wrong. I'll have to rewatch.

TSs I got were Burt Lancaster, Shogun, and The Decameron.

FJ was easy, though I hadn't heard about that picture being renamed after the shredding.

Frank impressed me with his Italian knowledge.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

Not really. The clue was about VP debates; W. never ran for VP.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

He is still a politician, someone might not know that. They have asked for BMS in similar situations.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Brookside said:

I can't remember the Yeoman question, but would Beefeater (my guess) have been acceptable?

That's what I said too!  The uniform made me say "Beefeater".

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

But wasn't the category that "Y" one?

Oh, right.  Thank you!  I'm always grateful when someone pays more attention than me and is gracious enough to respond!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Prevailing Wind said:

True, but there was a clue once asking for a particular President and when someone answered Kennedy, they got a BMS, even though there's been only one President named Kennedy.

There was also an answer in the Italian category that I thought they let slide. It was the one about the check coming due and the contestant answered "bill." It was accepted, but they gave the actual Italian word, which I would think has only one literal translation.

• Like 1

Tonight I got Shogun, Burt Lancaster, and chateaubriand.  When I was a kid, I remember going to a fancy restaurant, ordering chateaubriand, and sharing it with my dad.  I felt very grown-up. 

FJ was pretty much an instaget, but another one where I thought it must be too obvious.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, biakbiak said:

I think 'Castro' should have been a BMS, though I am sure John would know the first name.  Unlike, for instance, knowing the first name of Heimlich, which I assume Anneke did not know (I certainly didn't).  Just thought 'Castro' needed a BMS, as there is Raul Castro, who holds/held many of the same positions as his brother, the correct response, Fidel Castro.  Is it petty to ask for a BMS when the response is pretty obvious though technically needed? 

I also thought John's response of 'Tiffany's' was incorrect, as my interpretation of the clue was that it was asking for the jeweler, a person, not the company, thus 'Charles Tiffany' or 'Tiffany' is correct, not 'Tiffanys' which adds an 's' to the name, making it incorrect.  If it were a title they would not allow it but adding an 's' is just as wrong with a name.  Yep, nitpicking, but sometimes the judges nitpick and sometimes they don't.

Hated Frank's DD bet.  Late in a runaway game, he does not bet enough to get within half of the running-away-with-the-game leader.  Why?  John had around $24,000.  Frank had around $6,400.  He bets $4,000, I believe.  The only high money clue left was one $2,000 clue.  Bet at least $6,000!!!  If you get it right, you actually have a shot at winning, as your total is now within striking distance of John's total if you get FJ right and John doesn't.  Prevent  it from being a runaway game!  Force John to bet and to have to get FJ correct.  Get it wrong, you lose no matter what you bet.  What was his point in conserving $2,400 if he was wrong on the DD?  He got it right and has $10,400 and John has around $24,000, soon to be around $25,000.  Give yourself a shot at winning in FJ!  Instead he allowed the game to be a runaway.  It's not even bold to go all in at that point, as he had no choice as it was his only play.  Being conservative made no sense.   

Like John.  Liked Anneke, a lot.

As an aside, hate Alex's pre-game, repetative, comments regarding how much or little the champ won.  I don't feel Jeopardy is all about money and don't like when he harps on money amounts whether they are high or not high enough for him and his encouragement to challengers that they too can win a lot of money!  But I don't like Alex; I find him to be insufferable, so that feeling might be coloring my opinion of his preambles somewhat.

Edited by Bazinga
  • Like 6

I was very impressed by John in Thursday's game. I thought for sure he would be a one & done.

TS I got were yeoman, Burt Lancaster, Shogun. FJ was an instaget, but only because it happened fairly recently. Who knows if I'll remember if it comes up again a year from now! 

• Like 5

I can't remember one minute of 4th or 5th grade much less what or if I learned anything there.

All I remember is that my teacher confiscated my mom's hardcover Gone With The Wind. I was trying to hide it between the pages of my 4th grade reader.

• Like 5

(I tried reading GWTW in 3rd grade and failed to get very far. I still cannot stand that book or the film, to this day. In high school, I ran into a woman who had been a teacher’s aide at my 3-5 grade school, and she remembered me because of GWTW.)

• Like 5

15 hours ago, j5cochran said:

Their makeup artists are wizards!  I have never looked so good in my life.  The woman who did my makeup answered my questions and gave me some hints on doing my own - I apparently need an orangey concealer for under my eyes, to hide the blue circles. 

I loved the makeup artist!  She's super nice, and I wish I could remember her name.  She didn't give me any advice, but we had a nice chat about the best makeup awards at the Oscars, and the pros and cons of doing special makeups like for horror and sci-fi movies, versus just making people look pretty.

• Like 6

I knew FJ because I have a friend in  London who is a huge fan of Banksy and was before he became famous. She searched out his work (graffiti) in various locations and shared pictures of them.

I read GWTW for fun, in my early 20’s.  I got to see it in a theatre (restored to its former glory) some years later.  Pretty impressive, much better than on even a large TV screen.  However, the book is huge!  Can’t imagine hiding it!

Edited by zoey1996
  • Like 4

9 hours ago, SHD said:

There was also an answer in the Italian category that I thought they let slide. It was the one about the check coming due and the contestant answered "bill." It was accepted, but they gave the actual Italian word, which I would think has only one literal translation.

No, the word “conto” means bill or check, depending on what you call the thing you have to pay at the end of the meal. Both are acceptable terms and therefore acceptable translations. 

• Like 8

15 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I also got yeoman, and Shogun.  I loved that mini-series back in the day.  I can't remember if I read the book, though.

I'd forgotten there was a mini-series (oh, that's why Richard Chamberlain popped into my mind for a second...) but I visualized the book cover (TaiPan came first, and then I got to Shogun).

15 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I thought John was an average so-so player yesterday against Jill. I was pos he would be a one and done. What a difference a day makes, hey?

Well, he had some pretty stiff competition with both Jill and Anneke.

13 hours ago, Brookside said:

I said Beefeater too - forgetting the category.

11 hours ago, SHD said:

True, but there was a clue once asking for a particular President and when someone answered Kennedy, they got a BMS, even though there's been only one President named Kennedy.

I wouldn't think translations need to be literal if they are essentially referring to the same thing, the same way synonyms are accepted for some answers which do not specify additional information only one word would fit (number of letters, starting letter, etc.)

9 hours ago, Mystery Author said:

All I remember is that my teacher confiscated my mom's hardcover Gone With The Wind. I was trying to hide it between the pages of my 4th grade reader.

That was a mighty effort. :)

Thank you, FJ, for giving the SINGLE contemporary art clue I could answer.

I pulled the Decameron out of nowhere. My husband (after I said it) said he didn't know it, and I cheerfully said "Neither do I!"

Edited by Clanstarling · Reason: because might and mighty mean different things
  • Like 5

Science fiction readers often recommend Shogun as a good "first contact" novel. It's not between humans and aliens, but the characters see the other side as very alien.

I enjoyed the chemistry category even though ammonia was a TS.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Bazinga said:

As an aside, hate Alex's pre-game, repetative, comments regarding how much or little the champ won.  I don't feel Jeopardy is all about money and don't like when he harps on money amounts whether they are high or not high enough for him and his encouragement to challengers that they too can win a lot of money!  But I don't like Alex; I find him to be insufferable, so that feeling might be coloring my opinion of his preambles somewhat.

I agree with this.  Alex is getting increasingly annoying to me.  Last Monday, he made some inane comment about how poorly Friday champs seem to do after a weekend break.  I think a comment like that is so rude and disparaging to the champ.  I was glad Anneke went on to win that day!

Jill, it was a pleasure to watch you!  Although I'm a newer forum member, I felt like I "knew" someone famous who was on TV, and it was fun!  You did a great job!  I had zero idea about the FJ answer.  I was lamenting the fact that you didn't get Statue of Liberty or some such other easy clue.  Congratulations on a job well done!

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, Etta Place said:

No, the word “conto” means bill or check, depending on what you call the thing you have to pay at the end of the meal. Both are acceptable terms and therefore acceptable translations. 

Thanks!

10 hours ago, lb60 said:

When I was a kid, I remember going to a fancy restaurant, ordering chateaubriand, and sharing it with my dad.  I felt very grown-up. 

My parents took me to my first fancy restaurant to celebrate important exam results.  I ordered poussin since the menu said it was chicken.  My dad loved remembering my reaction to being served a whole bird!

Edited by Brookside
  • Like 1

For chateaubriand I had forgotten the category asked for C answers. I had chateaubriand on the tip of my tongue -- yum -- so maybe if I'd remembered the category I would have gotten it.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Sharpie66 said:

(I tried reading GWTW in 3rd grade and failed to get very far. I still cannot stand that book or the film, to this day. In high school, I ran into a woman who had been a teacher’s aide at my 3-5 grade school, and she remembered me because of GWTW.)

Back in the day when I was trying to improve my French I would read translations of crappy English books because the language and grammar were basic but generally correct.  I'm left with a lifelong hatred of Agatha Christie. 

11 hours ago, lb60 said:

When I was a kid, I remember going to a fancy restaurant, ordering chateaubriand, and sharing it with my dad.  I felt very grown-up. 

One of the first office Christmas parties I attended was at an expensive high-class supper club. My date and I ordered the chateaubriand. It was the only place anywhere that offered it. Our group was large and took up an entire room, so service was slow. So slow that my date, who was a newspaper photographer, and I had to leave before dinner was served as he was assigned to shoot a ball game later that night.

Decades later, I still have never had chateaubriand. (insert sad face)

As for Banksy being a missed FJ, it could be a case of just not being able to bring up Banksy's name from the recesses of the brain, like I knew Jill's FJ was the Mutiny on the Bounty island but had to google to bring up Pitcairn.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, j5cochran said:

My appearance on Jeopardy is the one time in my adult life where you couldn't see the dark circles under my eyes, so I second this wholeheartedly.

My nephews were both impressed with your play.  And they're not easily impressed.

19 hours ago, Bastet said:

Had those who skedaddled watched other games prior to taping their own, maybe?

My game was the fourth one of the day.  I was going to stay and watch the last game, but changed my mind because I was afraid I'd start crying.  That tends to be my default reaction to strong emotion, and I was pretty bummed that I lost.  Not that I thought I was a super genius or anything, but I'd just had this picture in my mind of winning.  I guess most contestants do.

Oh, and looking at the details of my game on J-Archive (because I couldn't remember how many games were filmed before mine), I see that my stupid first answer was for a clue which ended up being a triple stumper.  Can't believe neither Carl nor Phil rang in with "the" after I said "and".  Makes me feel a little better.

• Like 8

14 hours ago, peeayebee said:

TSs I got were Burt Lancaster, Shogun, and The Decameron.

I got all of those, as well as Yeoman.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Driad said:

Science fiction readers often recommend Shogun as a good "first contact" novel. It's not between humans and aliens, but the characters see the other side as very alien.

I never put the two together (as a science fiction fan), but yes, it's absolutely a good first contact novel.

1 hour ago, Brookside said:

Back in the day when I was trying to improve my French I would read translations of crappy English books because the language and grammar were basic but generally correct.  I'm left with a lifelong hatred of Agatha Christie. 

I, on the other hand, spent a year in a German Realschule, where I read Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde in German - and it was way better than the English version. Translations depend on the skill and writing ability of the translators. You can speak and write in another language fluently, but that doesn't make you a writer. I advised my daughter - who was getting a degree in a foreign language - to take writing classes if she wanted to translate. Don't know if she listened to me.

That being said, I had a lifelong hatred of all the Greek and Roman philosophers, because we read the worst translations ever. (in college, not in realschule)

Edited by Clanstarling

19 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I never put the two together (as a science fiction fan), but yes, it's absolutely a good first contact novel.

I, on the other hand, spent a year in a German Realschule, where I read Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde in German - and it was way better than the English version. Translations depend on the skill and writing ability of the translators. You can speak and write in another language fluently, but that doesn't make you a writer. I advised my daughter - who was getting a degree in a foreign language - to take writing classes if she wanted to translate. Don't know if she listened to me.

That being said, I had a lifelong hatred of all the Greek and Roman philosophers, because we read the worst translations ever. (in college, not in realschule)

I don't disagree at all.  The point  I was trying to make is that Agatha Christie's prose is so prosaic that one could learn basic foreign language skills from reading her books in French or whatever.  Think "Ich bin ein Berliner".

Edited by Brookside · Reason: Because I know it's Berliner!
  • Like 1

Apologies to @j5cochran -- I had not read that you were "one of our PTVers" before watching, so when you talked about marching at WVU, I immediately said we could not root for you. We are a Baylor family and your sports teams have not been kind to ours, hee! As the game progressed, I put aside petty rivalry and would have been happy to see you win. You are a very good player and I like your style of play.

Add me to the "Tiffany's" should not have been accepted group. I also immediately got "Banksy" because the story of the self-shredding print irked me. I feel about Banksy as I do the "Look at me! I'm so smart and cute!" contestants on Jeopardy. Ugh.

• Like 6

31 minutes ago, forumfish said:

Add me to the "Tiffany's" should not have been accepted group. I also immediately got "Banksy" because the story of the self-shredding print irked me. I feel about Banksy as I do the "Look at me! I'm so smart and cute!" contestants on Jeopardy. Ugh.

I interpreted the clue to refer to Tiffany & Co., not a specific person, so I'm willing to accept the colloquial "Tiffany's" as the answer, but wouldn't have objected if it had been declared incorrect either.

I absolute agree about Banksy, though.  I don't even consider him an artist.  (NB: I feel that way about most modern artists.  Not my bag.)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Brookside said:

I don't disagree at all.  The point  I was trying to make is that Agatha Christie's prose is so prosaic that one could learn basic foreign language skills from reading her books in French or whatever.  Think "Ich bin ein Berilner".

I did miss your point as I was predisposed to focus on good vs bad translations, and the art of translating.

Agatha has never been a favorite, but I don't really remember hating her prose. I read her work when I was a less discerning reader.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I absolute agree about Banksy, though.  I don't even consider him an artist. 

And I absolutely disagree about Banksy. I love his art. It shows, to me, that he is a trained artist. Maybe I'm biased as a graduate of a five-year art college, but I think all six of the below examples are skilled, stylish and clever. And if he were all "Look at me," we'd be able to actually "look at him." But as far as I know, his identity is still unknown except to a select few. The man is a graffiti artist, a genre (cue Trebek) of its own, different than a portrait painter or magazine illustrator. JMHO of course.

banksy.jpg

Edited by saber5055
  • Like 10

Jeopardy is out raison d'etre?  I hope the writers were talking about themselves and not making fun of us loyal fans.

John had 8400 at the first break, so not a close game, although I did not think the other two were bad players.

I could not come up with FJ, although in retrospect it seems obvious.  Forgive me, Regis.

I think John is a good player....but his method of holding the signaling device makes it look like he’s holding himself. I can’t unsee it.

• Like 1

In the intros, Alex: where's your next performance going to be at? Did that hurt anyone else's ears? I think I'm having flashbacks to some long ago English teacher.

• Like 5

I ran the song lyrics category.  Throw in a baseball category, and I would've lost respectably to John.

My compliments on an extremely well-played game to @j5cochran!  That FJ was brutal.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, opus said:

FJ an instaget. I know the important stuff.

At first I thought of Steve Harvey, but then I re-read the date and thought about how Who Wants to Be a Millionaire took the country by storm way back when. I thought the talk show was Live with Regis and Kathie Lee, though.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

In the intros, Alex: where's your next performance going to be at? Did that hurt anyone else's ears? I think I'm having flashbacks to some long ago English teacher.

It made my ears bleed just a little. 

For FJ tonight, I thought of Steve Harvey, Geraldo Rivera, and Dr. Phil, before settling on Jerry Springer.  I wouldn't have come up with Regis Philbin in a million years, as he does not exist in my reality.

• Like 8

8 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

For FJ tonight, I thought of Steve Harvey, Geraldo Rivera, and Dr. Phil, before settling on Jerry Springer.  I wouldn't have come up with Regis Philbin in a million years, as he does not exist in my reality.

I thought of Springer, too. Philbin never entered my mind. I also wasn't thinking of a gameshow or reality show as the network show part of it.

59 minutes ago, Roaster said:

Jeopardy is out raison d'etre?  I hope the writers were talking about themselves and not making fun of us loyal fans.

John had 8400 at the first break, so not a close game, although I did not think the other two were bad players.

I could not come up with FJ, although in retrospect it seems obvious.  Forgive me, Regis.

It ended up closer than I thought it would! I thought the guy on the right ended up with 14,000 and change and John had 30,000 and change. If the guy trailing had answered a couple of the last questions, it wouldn't have been a runaway.

I knew FJ was Regis Philbin.  though I thought Ryan Seacrest was a good guess. 

Add me to the people who are shocked John has done so well based on his first appearance.  I thought he would win one and be gone

Seems there have been a number of 4 game winners recently that can't manage to get that fifth game.  Will see if he can break the trend over the next few games. 

Also knew Pticairn island the other night.  My obscure college class Voyages of Scientific Discovery I can thank for that one.  Watched Mutiny on the Bounty for it, though I can't recall now if it was the newer or the older one.  I've seen both. 

Loved the chocolate category.  The Milton Hershey story is great, everyone should read his biography if you get a chance.  I picked it up a long time ago in one of the bargain bins at Barnes and Noble, a surprising find. 

I am no modern art fan or expert, but I loved when Bansky had that art work self destruct after it was bought

Edited by DrSpaceman73
  • Like 1

So relieved David is gone. He was out of control with clicking the signalling device. My blood pressure was dangerously high by the end of DJ

• Like 3

3 hours ago, opus said:

FJ an instaget. I know the important stuff.

Me too! :)  I admit to loving Regis....his stories about "old Hollywood" were charming....

Goodness, the buzzer clicking was loud tonight!

I love that John started with the African capitals category and did damn well with it; contestants are often so bad at geography, that impressed me.  (Jack Kemp instead of Jack Kennedy, though?  Quite unimpressed.) I liked that category and the NATO alphabet and chocolate ones, and was pleased most of the songs in the song titles category were actually ones I knew (it’s hit and miss with music categories – ‘60s – ‘90s I’m pretty knowledgeable, but before or after the odds go down a good bit).

I sucked at the comics category, even spotting me "on," because I am not at all into comics (be they books, shows, or films), but otherwise I had a good DJ as well.

The bistro TS was surprising just because of the category.

For FJ, I initially thought Phil Donahue (I'm not a talk show fan, so that's how far back my mind goes) and then dismissed him as being before the timeframe asked about and not also hosting a prime-time show (how I translated "network show" or whatever it said).  Regis Philbin popped into my mind next, in going through male talk show hosts, and I stuck with him because I couldn’t come up with anyone better, but I wasn’t at all sure of it until the last second when I remembered he hosted Who Wants to Be a Millionaire?, too, and it must have been around that time.  But, even then, I was thinking of Regis and Kathie Lee's morning show for the talk show, so I was still stuck in the past.  So I’d have totally backed my way into a get for that one.

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 3

Bistro was the only TS I got. I missed FJ-kept trying to come up with Seacrest’s name but got stuck on, “the guy on Survivor.”

• Like 1

Regis didn't have a solo talk show. He started with Regis and Katie Lee, which became Regis and Kelly before Regis left.

3 hours ago, Roaster said:

I quickly and confidently answered "Larry King".

• Like 1