Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 35 (2018-2019)

Athena
  • Start Topic

9 hours ago, Bazinga said:

As an aside, hate Alex's pre-game, repetative, comments regarding how much or little the champ won.  I don't feel Jeopardy is all about money and don't like when he harps on money amounts whether they are high or not high enough for him and his encouragement to challengers that they too can win a lot of money!  But I don't like Alex; I find him to be insufferable, so that feeling might be coloring my opinion of his preambles somewhat.

I agree with this.  Alex is getting increasingly annoying to me.  Last Monday, he made some inane comment about how poorly Friday champs seem to do after a weekend break.  I think a comment like that is so rude and disparaging to the champ.  I was glad Anneke went on to win that day!

Jill, it was a pleasure to watch you!  Although I'm a newer forum member, I felt like I "knew" someone famous who was on TV, and it was fun!  You did a great job!  I had zero idea about the FJ answer.  I was lamenting the fact that you didn't get Statue of Liberty or some such other easy clue.  Congratulations on a job well done!

• Love 4
45 minutes ago, Etta Place said:

No, the word “conto” means bill or check, depending on what you call the thing you have to pay at the end of the meal. Both are acceptable terms and therefore acceptable translations. 

Thanks!

10 hours ago, lb60 said:

When I was a kid, I remember going to a fancy restaurant, ordering chateaubriand, and sharing it with my dad.  I felt very grown-up. 

My parents took me to my first fancy restaurant to celebrate important exam results.  I ordered poussin since the menu said it was chicken.  My dad loved remembering my reaction to being served a whole bird!

Edited by Brookside
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, Sharpie66 said:

(I tried reading GWTW in 3rd grade and failed to get very far. I still cannot stand that book or the film, to this day. In high school, I ran into a woman who had been a teacher’s aide at my 3-5 grade school, and she remembered me because of GWTW.)

Back in the day when I was trying to improve my French I would read translations of crappy English books because the language and grammar were basic but generally correct.  I'm left with a lifelong hatred of Agatha Christie. 

11 hours ago, lb60 said:

When I was a kid, I remember going to a fancy restaurant, ordering chateaubriand, and sharing it with my dad.  I felt very grown-up. 

One of the first office Christmas parties I attended was at an expensive high-class supper club. My date and I ordered the chateaubriand. It was the only place anywhere that offered it. Our group was large and took up an entire room, so service was slow. So slow that my date, who was a newspaper photographer, and I had to leave before dinner was served as he was assigned to shoot a ball game later that night.

Decades later, I still have never had chateaubriand. (insert sad face)

As for Banksy being a missed FJ, it could be a case of just not being able to bring up Banksy's name from the recesses of the brain, like I knew Jill's FJ was the Mutiny on the Bounty island but had to google to bring up Pitcairn.

• Love 1
20 hours ago, j5cochran said:

Their makeup artists are wizards!  I have never looked so good in my life.  The woman who did my makeup answered my questions and gave me some hints on doing my own - I apparently need an orangey concealer for under my eyes, to hide the blue circles.  

My appearance on Jeopardy is the one time in my adult life where you couldn't see the dark circles under my eyes, so I second this wholeheartedly.

My nephews were both impressed with your play.  And they're not easily impressed.

19 hours ago, Bastet said:

Had those who skedaddled watched other games prior to taping their own, maybe?

My game was the fourth one of the day.  I was going to stay and watch the last game, but changed my mind because I was afraid I'd start crying.  That tends to be my default reaction to strong emotion, and I was pretty bummed that I lost.  Not that I thought I was a super genius or anything, but I'd just had this picture in my mind of winning.  I guess most contestants do.

Oh, and looking at the details of my game on J-Archive (because I couldn't remember how many games were filmed before mine), I see that my stupid first answer was for a clue which ended up being a triple stumper.  Can't believe neither Carl nor Phil rang in with "the" after I said "and".  Makes me feel a little better.

• Love 8
3 hours ago, Driad said:

Science fiction readers often recommend Shogun as a good "first contact" novel. It's not between humans and aliens, but the characters see the other side as very alien.

I never put the two together (as a science fiction fan), but yes, it's absolutely a good first contact novel.

1 hour ago, Brookside said:

Back in the day when I was trying to improve my French I would read translations of crappy English books because the language and grammar were basic but generally correct.  I'm left with a lifelong hatred of Agatha Christie. 

I, on the other hand, spent a year in a German Realschule, where I read Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde in German - and it was way better than the English version. Translations depend on the skill and writing ability of the translators. You can speak and write in another language fluently, but that doesn't make you a writer. I advised my daughter - who was getting a degree in a foreign language - to take writing classes if she wanted to translate. Don't know if she listened to me.

That being said, I had a lifelong hatred of all the Greek and Roman philosophers, because we read the worst translations ever. (in college, not in realschule)

Edited by Clanstarling
19 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I never put the two together (as a science fiction fan), but yes, it's absolutely a good first contact novel.

I, on the other hand, spent a year in a German Realschule, where I read Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde in German - and it was way better than the English version. Translations depend on the skill and writing ability of the translators. You can speak and write in another language fluently, but that doesn't make you a writer. I advised my daughter - who was getting a degree in a foreign language - to take writing classes if she wanted to translate. Don't know if she listened to me.

That being said, I had a lifelong hatred of all the Greek and Roman philosophers, because we read the worst translations ever. (in college, not in realschule)

I don't disagree at all.  The point  I was trying to make is that Agatha Christie's prose is so prosaic that one could learn basic foreign language skills from reading her books in French or whatever.  Think "Ich bin ein Berliner".

Edited by Brookside
Because I know it's Berliner!
  • Love 1
31 minutes ago, forumfish said:

Add me to the "Tiffany's" should not have been accepted group. I also immediately got "Banksy" because the story of the self-shredding print irked me. I feel about Banksy as I do the "Look at me! I'm so smart and cute!" contestants on Jeopardy. Ugh.

I interpreted the clue to refer to Tiffany & Co., not a specific person, so I'm willing to accept the colloquial "Tiffany's" as the answer, but wouldn't have objected if it had been declared incorrect either.

I absolute agree about Banksy, though.  I don't even consider him an artist.  (NB: I feel that way about most modern artists.  Not my bag.)

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Brookside said:

I don't disagree at all.  The point  I was trying to make is that Agatha Christie's prose is so prosaic that one could learn basic foreign language skills from reading her books in French or whatever.  Think "Ich bin ein Berilner".

I did miss your point as I was predisposed to focus on good vs bad translations, and the art of translating.

Agatha has never been a favorite, but I don't really remember hating her prose. I read her work when I was a less discerning reader.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I absolute agree about Banksy, though.  I don't even consider him an artist. 

And I absolutely disagree about Banksy. I love his art. It shows, to me, that he is a trained artist. Maybe I'm biased as a graduate of a five-year art college, but I think all six of the below examples are skilled, stylish and clever. And if he were all "Look at me," we'd be able to actually "look at him." But as far as I know, his identity is still unknown except to a select few. The man is a graffiti artist, a genre (cue Trebek) of its own, different than a portrait painter or magazine illustrator. JMHO of course.

banksy.jpg

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 10

Jeopardy is out raison d'etre?  I hope the writers were talking about themselves and not making fun of us loyal fans.

John had 8400 at the first break, so not a close game, although I did not think the other two were bad players.

I could not come up with FJ, although in retrospect it seems obvious.  Forgive me, Regis.

15 minutes ago, opus said:

FJ an instaget. I know the important stuff.

At first I thought of Steve Harvey, but then I re-read the date and thought about how Who Wants to Be a Millionaire took the country by storm way back when. I thought the talk show was Live with Regis and Kathie Lee, though.

• Love 4
15 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

In the intros, Alex: where's your next performance going to be at? Did that hurt anyone else's ears? I think I'm having flashbacks to some long ago English teacher.

It made my ears bleed just a little. 

For FJ tonight, I thought of Steve Harvey, Geraldo Rivera, and Dr. Phil, before settling on Jerry Springer.  I wouldn't have come up with Regis Philbin in a million years, as he does not exist in my reality.

• Love 8
8 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

For FJ tonight, I thought of Steve Harvey, Geraldo Rivera, and Dr. Phil, before settling on Jerry Springer.  I wouldn't have come up with Regis Philbin in a million years, as he does not exist in my reality.

I thought of Springer, too. Philbin never entered my mind. I also wasn't thinking of a gameshow or reality show as the network show part of it.

59 minutes ago, Roaster said:

Jeopardy is out raison d'etre?  I hope the writers were talking about themselves and not making fun of us loyal fans.

John had 8400 at the first break, so not a close game, although I did not think the other two were bad players.

I could not come up with FJ, although in retrospect it seems obvious.  Forgive me, Regis.

It ended up closer than I thought it would! I thought the guy on the right ended up with 14,000 and change and John had 30,000 and change. If the guy trailing had answered a couple of the last questions, it wouldn't have been a runaway.

I knew FJ was Regis Philbin.  though I thought Ryan Seacrest was a good guess. 

Add me to the people who are shocked John has done so well based on his first appearance.  I thought he would win one and be gone

Seems there have been a number of 4 game winners recently that can't manage to get that fifth game.  Will see if he can break the trend over the next few games. 

Also knew Pticairn island the other night.  My obscure college class Voyages of Scientific Discovery I can thank for that one.  Watched Mutiny on the Bounty for it, though I can't recall now if it was the newer or the older one.  I've seen both. 

Loved the chocolate category.  The Milton Hershey story is great, everyone should read his biography if you get a chance.  I picked it up a long time ago in one of the bargain bins at Barnes and Noble, a surprising find. 

I am no modern art fan or expert, but I loved when Bansky had that art work self destruct after it was bought

Edited by DrSpaceman73
  • Love 1

Goodness, the buzzer clicking was loud tonight!

I love that John started with the African capitals category and did damn well with it; contestants are often so bad at geography, that impressed me.  (Jack Kemp instead of Jack Kennedy, though?  Quite unimpressed.) I liked that category and the NATO alphabet and chocolate ones, and was pleased most of the songs in the song titles category were actually ones I knew (it’s hit and miss with music categories – ‘60s – ‘90s I’m pretty knowledgeable, but before or after the odds go down a good bit).

I sucked at the comics category, even spotting me "on," because I am not at all into comics (be they books, shows, or films), but otherwise I had a good DJ as well.

The bistro TS was surprising just because of the category.

For FJ, I initially thought Phil Donahue (I'm not a talk show fan, so that's how far back my mind goes) and then dismissed him as being before the timeframe asked about and not also hosting a prime-time show (how I translated "network show" or whatever it said).  Regis Philbin popped into my mind next, in going through male talk show hosts, and I stuck with him because I couldn’t come up with anyone better, but I wasn’t at all sure of it until the last second when I remembered he hosted Who Wants to Be a Millionaire?, too, and it must have been around that time.  But, even then, I was thinking of Regis and Kathie Lee's morning show for the talk show, so I was still stuck in the past.  So I’d have totally backed my way into a get for that one.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 3

I knew it before Alex finished reading the clue!  I thought Ryan was a horrible guess. Count me among those surprised  that the champ was not a one and done.  He is a good player. Is it just me or have we had several that were beaten after four days? 

17 minutes ago, catrice2 said:

I knew it before Alex finished reading the clue!  I thought Ryan was a horrible guess. Count me among those surprised  that the champ was not a one and done.  He is a good player. Is it just me or have we had several that were beaten after four days? 

I also guessed Ryan Seacrest - I knew he did American Idol which seemed like it could have fit the network show part, and I was fairly sure he had hosted other talk shows at some point in time.

• Love 2

I ran the African Capitals, NATO, Between World Wars, Chocolate Factory, From the French, & Love & Marriage categories. I actually pre-guessed Regis, but we had just been catching up on a show that his daughter produces, so he was semi on my mind I guess. 

4 hours ago, HavartiHead42 said:

So relieved David is gone. He was out of control with clicking the signalling device. My blood pressure was dangerously high by the end of DJ

That drove me crazy too, but awesome name! 

3 hours ago, Bastet said:

I love that John started with the African capitals category and did damn well with it; contestants are often so bad at geography, that impressed me.

I think it must have been pretty easy since even geo-dummy me ran it. 

• Love 1

I got Regis the last couple of seconds, not sure if I would have had time to write his name though. John’s guess of Ryan Seacrest made me want to pat him on the head and say “It was before your time.” Ryan didn’t become a household name till American Idol started in 2002. But hey, I wouldn’t be able to answer questions about television stars from my preschool days either. 

John is adorable in a “young enough to be my son” kind of way, and he does nothing annoying, so I’ll root for him.

• Love 3
16 hours ago, saber5055 said:

And I absolutely disagree about Banksy. I love his art. It shows, to me, that he is a trained artist. Maybe I'm biased as a graduate of a five-year art college, but I think all six of the below examples are skilled, stylish and clever. And if he were all "Look at me," we'd be able to actually "look at him." But as far as I know, his identity is still unknown except to a select few. The man is a graffiti artist, a genre (cue Trebek) of its own, different than a portrait painter or magazine illustrator. JMHO of course.

banksy.jpg

Given the anonymity, are we sure Banksy is male? I've liked his/her urban art, and thought the shredder bit was hysterical.

I misread FJ and tried to think of someone who had a number one tv show and a *radio* talk show...sigh. Mr CS got it right away despite not being much of a TV phile - whereas I wouldn't have gotten it even if I'd read the clue correctly. Regis is not on my radar in any way.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 4

Dozens of names went through my mind for FJ, from Phil Donahue to current hosts. I settled on Steve Harvey since he is everywhere these days, and would have been pleasantly surprised if it were correct. But when Regis was revealed, I was like, "Oh, the one name I did not think of." Go figure.

2 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

Given the anonymity, are we sure Banksy is male?

There was some PBS show a while back about Banksy where he was going to reveal himself. A few of his friends were in the documentary; I'm pretty sure he is male. But that show is only fragments in my memory so don't bet any Vegas money on the topic.

I will add that the art I posted above, those are all on building walls, some two or three stories high, not canvases that would hang in a museum. He creates them overnight: not there today, there tomorrow. I believe he makes a paper pattern, then attaches that to the building and sprays the image onto the wall. His work is in a recognizable style the same as is a Degas or VanGogh. I love it.

In college, students were available to hire for area art projects, the dean's office kept a list of freelance jobs. I was offered a position painting a mural of horses on a child's bedroom wall. I turned it down. Painting images bigger than I am was something even I didn't want to attempt (unlike Banksy), even for much-needed college cash.

• Love 1
42 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

There was some PBS show a while back about Banksy where he was going to reveal himself. A few of his friends were in the documentary; I'm pretty sure he is male. But that show is only fragments in my memory so don't bet any Vegas money on the topic.

They probably used a masculine pronoun, so seems likely that he's a he. I like his building art as well. We have a number of murals in town that are nice, but a bit staid. I like the ones that have some energy and fun to them.

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

They probably used a masculine pronoun, so seems likely that he's a he.

That would be the coolest of cool if Banksy turned out to be a woman. Thanks for giving me that thought!

• Love 1
12 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

Given the anonymity, are we sure Banksy is male? I've liked his/her urban art, and thought the shredder bit was hysterical.

People have met Banksy, including more than one journalist.

14 hours ago, peeayebee said:

Just to be clear, when I said I had nothing I meant no TSs. It's not like I knew none of the answers. 

Haha!  I feel the same way when I post that I got nothing. If I knew none of the answers, I'm pretty sure I would give up on watching the show.

4 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I admit it's probably the glasses, but David Moo kept making me think of Fred Armisen.

fred-armisen.jpg

My first thought was Jeff Goldblum.

Like many posters, my initial thought for FJ was Steve Harvey.  After looking at the date, I realized it was too early for him.  I did manage to come up with Regis in time.

I'm still not a fan of the champ, something about him bugs me.  He does have a wide range of knowledge, I'll give him that.

• Love 3

Regis was an instaget for me.  I went to law school with one of his daughters (really cool young woman) at the height of the Millionaire thing, so the dates were a dead giveaway for me. Sometimes it's just EIYKO,  it's about personal association too.

• Love 6
52 minutes ago, MoreCoffeePlease said:

Ailianna, did you go to school with the Regis daughter who became a successful TV writer?  I think she wrote episodes of New Girl.

Her older sister Joanna is the one who went to law school though she is also a writer of young adult novels. JJ is the tv writer/producer who is married to Mike Schur who created Parks and Rec, The Good Place and Brooklyn 99.

• Love 1

Re FJ: I guess the contestants got caught up in "seasons" (A Man for All Seasons as a musical?). I guessed Into the Woods, figuring it's based on stories, so it seemed to make sense that each part might be narrated by a different character (and it's a musical at least). My mother actually saw "Jersey Boys" and remembered (after the answer was revealed) that each part had a narrator, but she didn't notice there was an indication of "seasons" and thought that it was the same guy (not 4 different guys) doing the narration. So, that's a miss for today's FJ from our house.

• Love 1

I've never seen the show and don't know anything about it except what I've seen on commercials for it, but I was able to figure out FJ - the clue made me think "four seasons" which led me to Frankie Valli, and from there to "Jersey Boys".

• Love 5

I thought about the Four Seasons, but all that led me to was Vivaldi.  I knew that couldn't be right, so a big zip for me for FJ today.  But at least I got rand, bituminous, and Ogden Nash, so, good for me?

• Love 3