Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 35 (2018-2019)

Athena
  • Start Topic

26 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I wish Kyle would put on a tie.

Me too!  I even remarked to DH that Kyle was looking progressively sloppier; he had started out looking good in a shirt and vest. Otherwise I like Kyle.

Also liked that the game was not a runaway again.

DH came out with clang, clang, clang so fast I didn't even have time to think about it. I got La Scala, Garter and Elvis. Did not get FJ or even have an intelligent guess.

• Love 2
14 hours ago, Nonnie said:

If the episodes are filmed weeks, or months ahead, and the “vote for the beard”,  etc. was done these past couple of weeks....it already a done deal that he shaved it off several weeks ago.  Purely for publicity.

And lots of pure publicity is what Trebek and the show got. It was everywhere. Well, for a day or two anyway. Good point about the bogus "vote for the beard" baloney.

6 hours ago, Kathira said:

the "plains of Boston"

Those words made me stop and think and all I could picture were amber waves of grain, cornfields for as far as the eye could see and massive hay fields in downtown Boston. Yeah, I know that was a few years ago, but still. Then time was up and my electronic pen stopped writing before I could even venture a guess.

• Love 4
17 hours ago, illdoc said:

Beardless (but 'stached) Alex makes an appearance today on Jeopardy. And doesn't even comment on it!!!

I like the stache - hope he keeps it.

16 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Ahem.  I may not know anything about history, but I apparently do know wine -- Rothschild was an easy TS for me.  I also got clang clang clang, La Scala, and Joseph Priestly.

I didn't get Priestly, but did get the others, plus Elvis and Patrick Henry.  And Order of the Garter was an instaget for me, but then I wrote a paper about its founding for one of my medieval history classes in college.  (I'll confess to having a certain fondness for Edward III and the Black Prince.)

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 3

I read it because I enjoyed the miniseries with Jane Seymour.  Turns out, the miniseries was much more entertaining than the book.

It seems quite a few of you don't, or didn't, like East of Eden. I'm surprised. It was one of the books that made me want to become an author when I grew up (the other was Boys and Girls Together by William Goldman). In the movie, James Dean was great as Caleb, and I'd watch Julie Harris read her grocery list, but the film missed the WHOLE POINT of the book: the King James translation makes a promise in 'Thou shalt,' meaning that men will surely triumph over sin. But the Hebrew word timshel— 'Thou mayest'— gives one a choice. Some scholars say it might be the most important word in the world.

The movie left it out.

I visited the John Steinbeck Museum a couple of years ago. It's an incredible place, and I bought a T-shirt that says timshel.

• Love 2
12 minutes ago, Mystery Author said:

It seems quite a few of you don't, or didn't, like East of Eden. I'm surprised. It was one of the books that made me want to become an author when I grew up (the other was Boys and Girls Together by William Goldman). In the movie, James Dean was great as Caleb, and I'd watch Julie Harris read her grocery list, but the film missed the WHOLE POINT of the book: the King James translation makes a promise in 'Thou shalt,' meaning that men will surely triumph over sin. But the Hebrew word timshel— 'Thou mayest'— gives one a choice. Some scholars say it might be the most important word in the world.

The movie left it out.

I visited the John Steinbeck Museum a couple of years ago. It's an incredible place, and I bought a T-shirt that says timshel.

As a lit major, I took a whole semester of Steinbeck and loved it. He taught me that prose can be poetry. One thing about East of Eden that I admire him for to this day is that he refused the editorial pressure to have the Asian servant speak in some form of pidgin English. 

• Love 3

Mr. Zoey knew Patrick Henry.  I should have, we've been to re-enactments of the Liberty or Death speech.  

I knew Garter, La Scala, and Elvis.  

I liked Jordan, but Kyle really roared back in double J.  Closer game than some of his others.  I've been wondering though, if the contestants have been encouraged to be more "out there."  Some of them are veering into "obnoxious" territory.

• Love 1

FJ, I knew it referred to the Chinese Zodiac. I was torn between Confucius & Buddha. I didn't think it was Confucius, but Buddha didn't sound "Chinese" enough. I ended up with Confucius. I guess "dragon" confused the one contestant (which is why he said Merlin), but Noah????? That's right...there are only 12 animals in the world and that includes dragons. Sigh.

BTW, the 'stache is gone. And again, no comment from Alex!

• Love 11

Noah was a particularly goofy guess for FJ, which was an instaget for me, and brings me to 4/9.

Hooray for Kyle again!  The woman would have been fine, too, but Bucky annoyed me from the start.  It didn't hurt my feelings when he was going backward.

I only got two TS -- Bering and Baltic.

• Love 5
48 minutes ago, illdoc said:

FJ, I knew it referred to the Chinese Zodiac. I was torn between Confucius & Buddha. I didn't think it was Confucius, but Buddha didn't sound "Chinese" enough. I ended up with Confucius. I guess "dragon" confused the one contestant (which is why he said Merlin), but Noah????? That's right...there are only 12 animals in the world and that includes dragons. Sigh.

I was also torn between Confucius and Buddha, but went with Buddha in the end. I don't know why, but glad I did!

On Monday, the pub trivia I play had almost that exact same question about Etch-A-Sketch! What are the odds?

• Love 4

Congrats to Kyle, again.  I hate it when contestants flash "gang signs".  That made me dislike Bucky immediately but he then upped the creep factor by staring holes through Kyle every time he answered a question.  Alex gave him a GFY when he finally got an answer correct.  ?

I didn't get any TS, but I got FJ.

I guess Alex got tired of the faux "beard intrigue".  No mention that he was clean shaven today.  Kind of lame the way he made a big deal out of it last week but then said nothing as he chopped off various parts of it during this week.  Strange.

• Love 8
21 minutes ago, GreekGeek said:

I guess none of the contestants tonight frequent Chinese restaurants. Their place mats are how I learned about the Chinese Zodiac, complete with the story of Buddha summoning the animals.

I immediately thought of those placemats but apparently never read them, because  I went with Confucius. 

• Love 6

Where the heck was Bucky going after the show? Bathroom? Hot date? His Uber was there? He certainly couldn't wait to get out of there. Annoying from start to finish.

Tonight I got Golden State Killer, wine, and stockade.

I don't like Chinese food, so I didn't get FJ.  That's my story and I'm sticking to it.  

Edited by lb60
  • Love 4
46 minutes ago, GreekGeek said:

I guess none of the contestants tonight frequent Chinese restaurants. Their place mats are how I learned about the Chinese Zodiac, complete with the story of Buddha summoning the animals.

I've been to quite a few Chinese Restaurants and while I've seen years and traits for each of them (I'm a Goat), I don't recall seeing any story about the summoning of the animals. I guessed Lao-Tzu instead given Taoism and its connection to nature.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

Alex gave him a GFY when he finally got an answer correct.

Correction: Bucky got TWO GFYs. *drink drink*

1 hour ago, Fex said:

On Monday, the pub trivia I play had almost that exact same question about Etch-A-Sketch! What are the odds?

I had an Etch-A-Sketch and played with it constantly. And was constantly frustrated that I could never make mine do straight lines like the one on the commercials. So I dumped the Etch-A-Sketch, went to art school and got a BFA.

9 minutes ago, DrScottie said:

I've been to quite a few Chinese Restaurants and while I've seen years and traits for each of them (I'm a Goat), I don't recall seeing any story about the summoning of the animals.

Same here. I love Chinese food and always look at the place mats ... when the place has mats. Have never seen/heard the story of Buddha summoning the animals.

I have a problem with Bucky's answer of "wool" being ruled correct when the clue was something like "When the first Merino one of these arrived ..." (Maybe someone can find the actual wording of the clue.) Merino is a breed of SHEEP. Plus wool doesn't "arrive." Sheep do. Once the sheep is there, then the wool can be removed.

I think Trebek was liking Bucky. Maybe he's in that LA gang Bucky flashed the sign for.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 10
1 hour ago, lb60 said:

Where the heck was Bucky going after the show? Bathroom? Hot date? His Uber was there? He certainly couldn't wait to get out of there.

I thought it was pretty funny when he sauntered off then hurried back.

Tonight I got Golden State Killer, wine, and stockade.

I got Golden State Killer and NEARLY got wine. The "red and white" part of the clue led me there, but I was simply confused by the category name that I hesitated to say anything.

Surprisingly, I got FJ. I don't know how I did it, but thank Buddha I did!

• Love 3
7 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

.....and NEARLY got wine. The "red and white" part of the clue led me there, but I was simply confused by the category name that I hesitated to say anything.

I wasn't even sure that wine was the correct answer after Alex's convoluted explanation.  It wasn't until they did the next one that I figured out what the category was about.  I got a few others, but I thought it was a tough category.

• Love 5

I had an Etch-A-Sketch and played with it constantly. And was constantly frustrated that I could never make mine do straight lines like the one on the commercials. So I dumped the Etch-A-Sketch, went to art school and got a BFA.

I think we are twins with different mothers, Saber 5055. I, too, went for a BFA. HOWEVER...I used Etch-a-Sketch in one of my books when I was trying to figure out how I could get my dead person to talk to my live person (Scrabble took too long! <g>)

I have a problem with Bucky's answer of "wool" being ruled correct.

So did Mr. Author and he's an Aussie and he's always telling me not to shout at the TV and this time he did. He shouted, "NO!"

• Love 9
5 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Count me in the crowd who believes Bucky should NOT have gotten credit for wool!

Very much agreed. 

I also have a problem with his response of just "Vesuvius" being credited.  They were asking about an event, the name of the volcano, without specifying what happened, is not enough, IMO.  Needed to be asked to be more specific and he then needed to say the eruption of Mount Vesuvius. 

I really did not like Bucky.  Beyond his behavior during the intro, he stared down Kyle even when Kyle wasn't answering.  He kept pressing his signalling device and then looking at it as if it was malfunctioning when he was already locked out, seemingly shocked he wasn't first.  Then when he did buzz in, he acted awkward, surprised, fumbled, fumphered, and gave half/wrong answers like wool and Vesuvius for which he was credited. 

Edited by Bazinga
  • Love 7
14 hours ago, illdoc said:

I felt tremendously proud of myself for saying "The Monkey King" for Final Jeopardy!  Probably too obscure. :-)

The Alex beard to mustache to clean-shaven progression is especially interesting when you remember that they film five games in a day, so he must have been shaving between games!

• Love 10
15 hours ago, illdoc said:

I waffled between them to, then my logic (probably flawed) went something like this: Confucius was a wise man, but not a HOLY, man, whereas Buddha was holy - so if anyone's gathering animals, it would be Buddha. I thought I was wrong, but I stuck to it.

13 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

The mats put me in the right region, but like others, I don't recall the story. Maybe it's because I was generally reading the descriptions of the zodiac.

12 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I have a problem with Bucky's answer of "wool" being ruled correct when the clue was something like "When the first Merino one of these arrived ..." (Maybe someone can find the actual wording of the clue.) Merino is a breed of SHEEP. Plus wool doesn't "arrive." Sheep do. Once the sheep is there, then the wool can be removed.

I think Trebek was liking Bucky. Maybe he's in that LA gang Bucky flashed the sign for.

Mr. Clanstarling protested, as did I. For all the same reasons.  Same for the Vesuvius clue.

28 minutes ago, MrAtoz said:

I felt tremendously proud of myself for saying "The Monkey King" for Final Jeopardy!  Probably too obscure. :-)

The Alex beard to mustache to clean-shaven progression is especially interesting when you remember that they film five games in a day, so he must have been shaving between games!

I was just saying that to the Mister. I'm sad to see the full beard go. I like a well trimmed beard on a man.

• Love 6
3 hours ago, MrAtoz said:

This made me laugh. So thanks for that.

14 hours ago, peeayebee said:
15 hours ago, lb60 said:

Where the heck was Bucky going after the show? Bathroom? Hot date? His Uber was there? He certainly couldn't wait to get out of there.

I thought it was pretty funny when he sauntered off then hurried back.

I totally missed this since I wasn't looking at the tv.  Which is essential if one wants to see what's happening. I need to watch the ep again online.

3 hours ago, MrAtoz said:

Now my brain hurts thinking about this. First the bogus "vote for the beard" thing when beard was already gone, then the removal of it piece by piece during show breaks so each "day" Trebek looks different. WTH. Maybe even Trebek is embarrassed by how ridiculous it was which is why he didn't mention it. Look at me, giving credit to AT!

9 hours ago, Mystery Author said:

So did Mr. Author and he's an Aussie and he's always telling me not to shout at the TV and this time he did. He shouted, "NO!"

Give Mr. Author a Good For You Mate for standing up for Merino sheep everywhere, especially in Australia.

9 hours ago, Mystery Author said:

.I used Etch-a-Sketch in one of my books when I was trying to figure out how I could get my dead person to talk to my live person (Scrabble took too long!

If I were a dead person trying to communicate via Etch-A-Sketch, I'd turn into one of those hateful angry murderous ghosts. E-A-S is a real PITA if one tries to make it create anything one can recognize, especially words. After a lot of swearing and lights going on and off, this ghost would have smashed it to smithereens and pulled out the classic stand by, the ouiji board. Although it is an interesting book plot device ... as long as the reader never tried to use one.

• Love 3
24 minutes ago, M. Darcy said:

I think of Buddha as religious not folklore. 

I do too.  I guess the 'folklore' is that he  called the animals to make a Zodiac. 

I was totally clueless for FJ - didn't even catch on that rat and dragon referred to the Chinese Zodiac although I am familiar with it - yes, I read the placemats:)  Even if I had thought of the zodiac, I don't think I would have thought of Buddha. My answer was King Arthur, although his father was already Pendragon and King Arthur didn't really make much sense as a response.

Also agree wool should not have been accepted.

I really have no complaints about Kyle but I think it's time for him to move along now.

Edited by Trey
  • Love 3
15 hours ago, peeayebee said:

Oh, and I couldn't remember the name Ned Kelly, but I knew that Mick Jagger played him in a movie.

I ran the Australia category.  I missed everything before the interview commercial break due to watching coverage of a local mass shooting, so I didn't see the Etch-a-Sketch clue.  I knew what FJ referred to, but did not know that it had to do with Buddha; the Chinese restaurant menus I've read just talk about the attributes of each zodiac animal.

I like Kyle, so he can continue to win, for now.

16 hours ago, peeayebee said:

The "red and white" part of the clue led me there, but I was simply confused by the category name that I hesitated to say anything.

Me too.

I'll miss the 'stache.  But apparently Alex's wife won't - she's the reason he shaved.

• Love 5
20 hours ago, illdoc said:

I ended up with Confucius. I guess "dragon" confused the one contestant (which is why he said Merlin), but Noah????? That's right...there are only 12 animals in the world and that includes dragons. Sigh.

I've been thinking much too seriously about this. I could see on Kyle's face that he knew Noah was wrong, but at least he took a stab at it. It was the only name I could come up with too. If one dwells on it, Budhha "calling all the animals together" is pretty bogus in itself, because ... really? And only 12 came? Alrighty then. I guess Budhha's got no street cred in the animal world.

The answer could be Merlin because Game of Thrones has dragons. GoT is imaginary and so are the dragons. Yet Budhha got dragons to come when he called? Yeah, right. Another wrong answer could have been George R.R. Martin.

Like I said, I've put too much thought into this.

But good on Noah for getting more animals to come when he called than Budhha did. Noah gets my Good For You *drink*.

• Love 11
1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

If one dwells on it, Budhha "calling all the animals together" is pretty bogus in itself, because ... really? And only 12 came? Alrighty then. I guess Budhha's got no street cred in the animal world.

This made me laugh.  ?

• Love 4

I thought of turquoise instantly, and it's one of those things that are obviously right once you think of it. I was surprised no contestants got it, but I can see how you might not think of turquoise right away when you think gems, because it's opaque.

• Love 9
26 minutes ago, Fex said:

I thought of turquoise instantly, and it's one of those things that are obviously right once you think of it. I was surprised no contestants got it, but I can see how you might not think of turquoise right away when you think gems, because it's opaque.

It was an instaget for me too, but I wasn't surprised the contestants didn't get it. It was one of those if you don't think of it immediately you may not figure out from the clue. 

Kyle was a strong player, and I'll look forward to seeing him in the TOC. 

• Love 5

Dammit, Kyle!  I really hoped he’d win again.  Rob with his crazy buzzer antics in the first part and then all the swaying in the second kinda bugged me.  I initially wanted to root for Dino, and hope his home in Fayetteville is okay, but he has problems using his inside voice.  

The only TS I got was Catahoula, and I also said azure for FJ.  I probably never would have come up with turquoise, as I associate that more with the American southwest than with Europe or Asia.  Mind you, I had no idea what country “azure” might refer to, but it was all I had!

• Love 10
56 minutes ago, Hazel1965 said:

how can you be celebrating 35 years when I physically was in the NY studio in 1966-66?

What you saw was daytime Jeopardy! hosted by Art Fleming. He was host from 1964 through 1975, at which point the show went off the air and did not return until 1984, when it occupied its current evening slot. Here is a YouTube video of one of those shows up until the first commercial. Notice Art Fleming mentions "morning" several times. It's from the later part of the run, in the 70's, since it mentions Secretariat. I don't think the clue dollar values changed in those first 11 years. One hundred dollars was the top dollar clue, and a few thousand dollars was a big haul. Contestants could keep the dollar value of their points, though. I also noticed contestants ringing in before the clue is completely read--another rule that has changed.

• Love 2
13 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Dammit, Kyle!  I really hoped he’d win again.  Rob with his crazy buzzer antics in the first part and then all the swaying in the second kinda bugged me.  I initially wanted to root for Dino, and hope his home in Fayetteville is okay, but he has problems using his inside voice.  

The only TS I got was Catahoula, and I also said azure for FJ.  I probably never would have come up with turquoise, as I associate that more with the American southwest than with Europe or Asia.  Mind you, I had no idea what country “azure” might refer to, but it was all I had!

Azure was all I could think of either. Lapis, not a gem, amethyst, not really blue, and not a country. Ugh. Despite that complete fail, I did get Roundheads, Naked Lunch and catahoula. The Coachella category was funny. 

Kyle had a good run, won a nice bunch of money, and managed not to be annoying. Good for him.

For me, Jeopardy was almost pre-empted by a rare upstate NY tornado warning. Our weather people got all excited and decided they "had to stay on the air with us" until the warning was discontinued. Puh-lease. Don't do me any favors. And don't mess with my Jeopardy!

Edited by Kathira
  • Love 7
18 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

The enthusiastic cheery way he said "Holocaust" made me cringe.

Azerbaijan, perhaps? Fits the Eurasia part of the clue :)

• Love 5

Another Herman Wouk question that was a TS! He's a famous (well, maybe not so much now) alumnus of the high school where I teach, so I see a shelf of his books at every meeting in the school library. So I knew War and Remembrance, plus Segovia and Robert Goddard. FJ was an instaget, and it made me think of an old friend of my mom's with a classic Brooklyn accent, who pronounced it "terquerse." Did Alex pronounce it "ter-kwas" rather than "ter-kwoise"?

• Love 4