Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 35 (2018-2019)

Athena
  • Start Topic

(edited)

I watched the NHL award show tonight(me the person who knows nothing about hockey!). It was fun seeing James on my tv again but it was great seeing Alex looking so well! He was quite "spry" when he came on the stage and is a real hockey fan who mentioned his favorite player and team. He got a standing ovation from the crowd and they applauded long and hard for him!! Glad to see that! He had the honor of giving the award for the player of the year so he appeared at the end of the show.

Edited to add that I posted a photo of James and Alex in the Who is James thread!

Edited by suebee12
  • Love 6
11 hours ago, Abstract said:

I can't get over Dick Cheney as a TS.

I get annoyed by most missed "before your time" questions, but that's with adults. In this case, I'll cut them some slack, these kids were babies and toddlers when that happened, and it was a pretty minor incident - though fun in the media - and not particularly of historical merit.

• Love 7
2 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I get annoyed by most missed "before your time" questions, but that's with adults. In this case, I'll cut them some slack, these kids were babies and toddlers when that happened, and it was a pretty minor incident - though fun in the media - and not particularly of historical merit.

I'm not knocking the kids for missing it (although I bet that kid from Monday who does presidential math would have gotten it from the year and initials alone), but kind of shocked at the realization that something that feels so recent happened, like you said, in their toddlerhood.

• Love 3
(edited)

I think I ran across FJ in my kid's history book, but even had I not, Benjamin Franklin is the most likely suspect for writing under a smart-aleck pseudonym.

I missed almost half of the Jeopardy round due to weather warnings. When it came back, the Kentucky kid on the left was dominating. (I hate Kentucky basketball, so I wasn't rooting for him.)

Edited by Abstract
  • Love 4

I had no real idea for tonight's FJ, but Ben Franklin was the only response I could think of that would be easy enough for what they've been doing in this tournament, if that makes sense.

• Love 3
(edited)

I listened to a loooong Ben Franklin biography while training for a 1/2 marathon several tears ago (kept typo because there were several tears when I was training several *years* ago..lol), so it was an instaget for me. 

I pre-guessed Wednesday's FJ. Boy I am just burning up the Teen Tourney with my badass middle-aged self 😂

Edited by Toothbrush
  • LOL 8
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Katy M said:

I'm got FJ only because of National  Treasure.

Me too!

I actually really enjoy those movies. And I must admit, there is definitely no way I ever would have figured out FJ otherwise.

• Love 1

I stared blankly at my TV for the entire Actors by Role category.  And at all but one clue in the TV Room category.  Yikes - bad pop culture night for me.

I'm surprised Morehouse was a TS, with all-male and Atlanta spotted (and a bit disheartened that, among the three of them, the contestants could only come up with one HBCU to toss out as a guess).  None of them knowing what CPA stands for surprised me a bit, as did the Nero TS.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Katy M said:

I'm got FJ only because of National  Treasure.

28 minutes ago, secnarf said:

Me too!

I need to watch that movie.

I'm bummed that I broke my Teen Week streak. I guessed Thomas Paine.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, peeayebee said:

I guessed Thomas Paine.

That was my guess.

Jackson, you also need to stand up straight. It looked like he got tired halfway through DJ. He and Justin are going to have to fight it out for podium space if they end up against each other.

• LOL 2

Ben Franklin was my immediate thought, and I tried to second-guess myself, but I couldn't come up with anyone else who made sense to me.  So, good for me!

I was surprised none of them knew the first five words to the 23rd Psalm, but I probably shouldn't have been.  Just because memorizing that verse (among others) was a Big Deal back when I was a kid and was forced to go to Sunday School and church every week doesn't mean it is still a Big Deal (or that kids go to church!).

I'd be willing to wager all of his winnings that the kid from Kentucky would have gotten the Daniel Boone DD right!

Since I hate Will Ferrell, I laughed and laughed when he was a TS (even though I got it).

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Browncoat said:

Since I hate Will Ferrell, I laughed and laughed when he was a TS (even though I got it).

I didn't get it, if that will bring you more joy.

• LOL 2

Awesome!  J! called The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe the first book in the Narnia series!  I refuse to acknowledge the new ordering system.  LWW should be read first! 

• Love 7
22 hours ago, Abstract said:

I'm not knocking the kids for missing it (although I bet that kid from Monday who does presidential math would have gotten it from the year and initials alone), but kind of shocked at the realization that something that feels so recent happened, like you said, in their toddlerhood.

I know, right? It seems the past 18 years have gone by in a blur.

12 hours ago, Abstract said:

I think I ran across FJ in my kid's history book, but even had I not, Benjamin Franklin is the most likely suspect for writing under a smart-aleck pseudonym.

That's why I picked him, as did my husband, but we both thought we were wrong.

10 hours ago, Bastet said:

I stared blankly at my TV for the entire Actors by Role category.  And at all but one clue in the TV Room category.  Yikes - bad pop culture night for me.

I usually do well in tv categories (watch way too much of it) but I whiffed most of them.

2 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I was surprised none of them knew the first five words to the 23rd Psalm, but I probably shouldn't have been.  Just because memorizing that verse (among others) was a Big Deal back when I was a kid and was forced to go to Sunday School and church every week doesn't mean it is still a Big Deal (or that kids go to church!).

And I ended up with a line in a later verse, that had more than 5 words, sigh....

36 minutes ago, M. Darcy said:

Awesome!  J! called The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe the first book in the Narnia series!  I refuse to acknowledge the new ordering system.  LWW should be read first! 

I feel the same way about Star Wars.

• Love 4
40 minutes ago, M. Darcy said:

Absolutely! 

2 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

I feel the same way about Star Wars.

Ditto this, though mostly I pretend the prequels never happened.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

I kept thinking of Poor Richard's Almanac and remembered Franklin at the last second.  It was sad for me (retired CPA/financial analyst) that none knew CPA. 

Completely missed The Iliad from Wednesday, though.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, M. Darcy said:

My exact thought!  (I searched high and low for an old set of the books so I could give my girl a set in the right order--they are getting harder and harder to find!)

I was wondering though, if someone had said The Magician's Nephew, if they would have had to give it to them, since kids that age may only have seen them in that order.  I can't remember now if there was something else that made only LWW the right answer, besides being first in the series.

• Love 2
13 minutes ago, Ailianna said:

My exact thought!  (I searched high and low for an old set of the books so I could give my girl a set in the right order--they are getting harder and harder to find!)

I was wondering though, if someone had said The Magician's Nephew, if they would have had to give it to them, since kids that age may only have seen them in that order.  I can't remember now if there was something else that made only LWW the right answer, besides being first in the series.

No, the clue was under book chapters and it had something about What Lucy Found behind the Wardrobe (that's not it exactly, but the context was basically that), so Lucy only discovered Narnia behind a Wardrobe in the LWW.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, M. Darcy said:

Absolutely, and either I'm getting deja vu or this exact conversation has happened before on this forum. I will insist till my dying day that one should enter Narnia for the first time through the wardrobe. 

Just now, bad things are bad said:

I have to say I was gobsmacked--even if you're not of the Abrahamic faiths it's a pretty ubiquitous quote 

I think they got thrown off by counting the number of words. Audrey audibly groaned when the timer went off, presumably because she realized the answer and waited too long.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Ailianna said:

(I searched high and low for an old set of the books so I could give my girl a set in the right order--they are getting harder and harder to find!

My set from when I was 5th grade is falling apart but I will not buy new copies.  

3 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Absolutely! 

Ditto this, though mostly I pretend the prequels never happened.

The prequels never happened.  

• Love 6

It takes the Teen Tournament for me to get all the FJs right in a week.  Instaget tonight -- before Alex finished reading the clue.  Actually, about the time he got to the nuclear part.

• Love 2

To me the best part of the show tonight was that all three contestants made it into the next round. Avi because he won, and Hannah and Shriya by being high score Wild cards. I love the interview with Hannah. How her hair grows so fast and she then cuts and donates it. Both of the girls tonight had great long and shiny hair. 

I thought that perhaps one of them would have gotten Zak Posen from watching Project Runway. 

• Love 4
34 minutes ago, Katy M said:

Yeah, that FJ was pretty easy.  Even for a teen tournament.  I got palm by looking at my hand.

I had to laugh at Alex marveling at the high scores the teens were racking up. With clues this ridiculously easy, even for teens, it would have been strange not to have high scores.

I was glad both young women from today's show get to move on to next week's finals. I was getting a little frustrated at their conservative betting, especially by the time they got to DJ and knew how easy the clues were. 

• Love 4

It's funny, but yesterday I was googling Yael Grobglas because I love her so much in Jane the Virgin.

I just couldn't bring Edward Hopper to mind.

For the Zooey Deschanel clue, I said Her instead of She.

Got meltdown, which is no great feat.

1 hour ago, peeayebee said:

I just couldn't bring Edward Hopper to mind.

Ditto. All I could come up with was “that depressing bar painting guy.”

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, SHD said:

Ditto. All I could come up with was “that depressing bar painting guy.”

I said Grant Wood.  I clearly had no clue.  But, at least I guessed an American artist.  That has to count for something, right?

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
13 hours ago, Abstract said:

I predict the next Teen tournament is going to have some crazy bold wagering. Call it the Holzhauer effect.

I predict that the next Teen Tournament will have the same betting we see now.  And by that time, I'm sure that they will only vaguely recall "that James guy" if they do at all.  While he's a big deal to J! fans, and will be remembered a long time, he's going to be a quick flash on the average person's life and I truly don't think he's going to change the game fundamentally.  There have always been people who don't start at the top (not a majority, but some) and who go big on DD (again, not the majority, but some) and there have always been games where one person is just quicker with the buzzer than the other players.  While James had a great run and should be proud of his accomplishment, he had a combination of all three that worked for a long time, but nothing he did hadn't been seen before. It was his combination that helped him win, not a revolutionary playing style.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Ailianna said:

I predict that the next Teen Tournament will have the same betting we see now.  And by that time, I'm sure that they will only vaguely recall "that James guy" if they do at all.  While he's a big deal to J! fans, and will be remembered a long time, he's going to be a quick flash on the average person's life and I truly don't think he's going to change the game fundamentally.  There have always been people who don't start at the top (not a majority, but some) and who go big on DD (again, not the majority, but some) and there have always been games where one person is just quicker with the buzzer than the other players.  While James had a great run and should be proud of his accomplishment, he had a combination of all three that worked for a long time, but nothing he did hadn't been seen before. It was his combination that helped him win, not a revolutionary playing style.

You could be right. But the kind of teens who apply for Teen Tournaments are Jeopardy followers. I mean, one of those girls yesterday referenced Chuck Forrest in her interview! They're not going to forget James easily. I think there will be at least one or two who go in there thinking they're going to be buzzsaws. Whether they'll be successful is another story. 

• Love 2
On 6/19/2019 at 5:56 PM, Bastet said:

No, you just have to be between the ages of 13 and 17 (per the FAQ on the show's website).  That's probably why they call it the Teen Tournament rather than the High School Tournament (or they just like alliteration). 

I didn't know that. Thanks for explaining,

On 6/19/2019 at 7:52 PM, SeanC said:

None of the kids knowing about the Cheney incident made me feel old.

Me too.

On 6/19/2019 at 8:02 PM, Katy M said:

I got Kanye West, but only because it sounded like something so ridiculously stupid that it had to be him.

I don't remember what it was now, but I missed one of the top clues because I thought the right answer was too easy.  Head slap.  It's the top clue and teen tournament.  Probably no need to overcomplicate it.

I got FJ.  And I got Dick Cheney and snorkel.

The Music I never heard of category was very tough.

Maybe it had to do with the category, but Jeopardy saying that Hitchhiker's saying you need a towel to dry yourself off, is so missing the many reasons you need a towel.   For example, you can also wrap it around you for warmth as you bound across the cold moons of Jaglan Beta or you can lie on it on the brilliant marble-sanded beaches of Santraginus V, inhaling the heady sea vapours.  

• Love 5
(edited)
2 hours ago, Driad said:

Or you can use your towel to fool the Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal.

So stupid it thinks if you can't see it, it can't see you.

ETA: Clearly, we are all cool froods.

Edited by ABay
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4

I was concerned for Justin, the way Lucas was flailing and punching with his buzzer!  And I was surprised that Justin didn't get exponent -- surely they've gotten to those by the time they're Freshmen?

Lots of TS tonight -- I got lotus (criss-cross applesauce, heh), knife, Amanda Seyfried, revenge, soul, Greek, Pop Warner, and the aforementioned exponent.

I also got FJ in an instaget, then tried naming other universities in California that it might be, but stuck with Stanford.

• Love 4

Spock: If you just demonstrated a Vulcan salute, would you get credit, or do they insist on words?

Stanford: When I first heard that it was Leland Stanford Junior University, I spent a bit of time wondering what a junior university was.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
2 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I was concerned for Justin, the way Lucas was flailing and punching with his buzzer!  And I was surprised that Justin didn't get exponent -- surely they've gotten to those by the time they're Freshmen?

I couldn't think of it.  All I could think of was power.  

2 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I also got FJ in an instaget, then tried naming other universities in California that it might be, but stuck with Stanford.

Yeah, I was bored waiting for the music to run out.

1 minute ago, Driad said:

Spock: If you just demonstrated a Vulcan salute, would you get credit, or do they insist on words?

That's what I was wondering.  I didn't know what it was called.

• Love 2

I'm happy Justin the leaner didn't win, but how in the hell did he not know exponent!

I'm not a fan of Lucas, either. He tends to point at the board when he picks a clue and it annoys me. lol

Criss-cross applesauce did make me laugh. 

FJ=instaget.

36 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

And I was surprised that Justin didn't get exponent -- surely they've gotten to those by the time they're Freshmen?

Try fourth grade. PEMDAS is introduced. They may not know what to do with an exponent, but they should know the term. I was shocked when he got it wrong.

• Love 4