Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 35 (2018-2019)

Athena
  • Start Topic

17 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

But boy, do I want to eat there if I'm ever in New York. I'm well away from a decent German restaurant (and for me, that means a restaurant with Bavarian recipes).

Skip New York. Chicago is closer, and that's where The Berghoff is. Take the train downtown and walk a couple blocks down Adams (toward the Art Museum!) and there it is on your right.

5 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Brad ought to shave. I hate that stubble look.

That's today's style. I just have two words for it: whisker burn.

4 hours ago, calpurnia99 said:

The not being able to smile for a photo is something I've noticed with my relatives and friends of my son with autism and Asperger Syndrome. It's the first thing I said about James when I saw his smile. The people I know with this condition do that exact weird thing.

I don't have either condition but when someone tells me to smile or my photo is being taken, my face turns rigid and my smile is forced and anything but happy looking. As for being filmed, that makes it worse as a person can't escape. I had a speaking part in a corporate promo film and would clam up and look like a dork every time they said "Action." Back when one could smile for a driver's license photo, my smile looked like a space alien's. The only time I got a good photo was when the photographer said to look "right there," and he pointed to a funny picture (A guy with fried eggs for eyes). It made me laugh, my smile was REAL, and I got a great picture that year.

Bottom line: I see nothing "wrong" with James' smile, his teeth, his jaw, his face or anything else about him. But I'm also not that judgemental. Glass houses and all.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Kathira said:

At first I thought it was Takeshi Kaga, the Chairman from Iron Chef, but it turns out to be a Japanese military guy from the new Godzilla: King of the Monsters trailer. The movie apparently features many of the classic monsters, like Mothra, Rodan and Gidorah and this guy suggests that humans should just let them fight it out. 

Well, that makes sense. I'm just too out of touch with today's culture. I'm still watching Murder, She Wrote.

• LOL 7
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Well, that makes sense. I'm just too out of touch with today's culture. I'm still watching Murder, She Wrote. 

LOL! That's why I rely on Jeopardy PTV posters to keep me "hip*."

*'60s reference

• LOL 3
  • Love 3
4 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

*'60s reference

When my boss come in for the day, he sometimes asks if everything is groovy.  I answer "I don't know Greg Brady.  I lost my time machine."  He's tried to convince me he has no idea who Greg Brady is, but I don't find that possible.

• LOL 6
  • Love 3
19 minutes ago, Katy M said:

He's tried to convince me he has no idea who Greg Brady is, but I don't find that possible. 

Perhaps The Brady Bunch is AFTER His Time?

• Love 1
1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

*'60s reference

Nowadays hip is just a body part we break 😥

• LOL 10
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, saber5055 said:

That's today's style. I just have two words for it: whisker burn.

I call it the "can't fully commit to a beard" beard.

12 minutes ago, opus said:

Nowadays hip is just a body part we break 😥

Or replace. 🙂

• Love 6
5 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Perhaps The Brady Bunch is AFTER His Time?

Sure. I can believe that he never really watched it.  I can't believe he's never heard of it.  It was on when he was in his late teens early 20s.  It's been on reruns ever since.  He's never seen a commercial, seen a scene while flipping through the channels, heard anybody (besides me) make a Brady Bunch reference?  Never in the last 40 years? 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

Christmas gift: The Brady Bunch boxed set.

That might result in an immediate firing.  Especially if he actually sat down and watched them, LOL.

• LOL 1

I understand that everything is Easy If You Know It, but I still think this FJ should have been in the Teen Tournament, not the Teachers'. I've taught it to 8th graders.

• Love 8

Not a big fan of Alexa "reading" the category names.  At least they only had it doing that for the first round.

I'm really surprised no one else could come up with Woolworth after the one contestant misspoke.  Maybe they all thought it was Woolsworth?  There was a Woolworth's in my hometown, a couple of doors down from the other dime store, Ben Franklin's. 

I was also surprised they couldn't get The Everly Brothers, especially since there was a photo. 

But I guess The Love Boat was before their time.  I watched that every week (as a drinking game in college!), followed by Fantasy Island.

I also got meal ticket, and FJ was an instaget for me.  And it was a nice game that I enjoyed watching!

• Love 8
(edited)

As much as I am a James fan, it is kind of nice to be able to watch Jeopardy and think "I could take those guys."

I was spoiled for FJ, so I can't say with 100% certainty that I would have gotten it right, but I'm pretty sure I would have. Apparently Robert Frost is a safe bet on Jeopardy poets.

Edited by Abstract
  • Love 4

FJ was an instaget, but would have been embarrassing otherwise since I've lived most of my life in New England.

How can you miss the Love Boat?  I used to love Gopher:)  I bet my boss has never heard of the Love Boat either.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
15 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I was also surprised they couldn't get The Everly Brothers, especially since there was a photo. 

They haven't lasted and they were only popular for a couple of years, so unless a contestant grew up in the 50's, I wasn't surprised.  I had an 8x10 signed glossy on my wall.  

As a born/bred Iowan, I was tickled to see an Iowa category.  But I was really excited that the $2000 clue mentioned the town where I've lived for the last 17 years -- Woolstock, population 168.  We're very proud of George Reeves.  He's on the town's sign and a resident has a Clark Kent/Superman mannequin in a phone booth on the corner by his house. 

• Love 9
(edited)
28 minutes ago, Arkay said:

I understand that everything is Easy If You Know It, but I still think this FJ should have been in the Teen Tournament, not the Teachers'. I've taught it to 8th graders.

I didn't recognize the FJ quote at all, but I was pretty confident it was Frost because it just sounded like him.  There are probably other authors and poets I could do that for, but I can't come up with any right now.

Edited by SoMuchTV
  • Love 2

I am trying not to be snarky (to honor my pledge until after Teebax appears) but holy crap, if Everly Brothers with a picture and Bye, Bye Love in the clue and The Love Boat with Fred Grandy, Gopher and Congress in the clue are TSs, I am just going to book my room at the home for ancient bewildered Jeopardy viewers.

FJ seemed so obvious that I started second guessing myself.

• LOL 4
  • Love 15
9 minutes ago, AuntiePam said:

They haven't lasted and they were only popular for a couple of years, so unless a contestant grew up in the 50's, I wasn't surprised.  I had an 8x10 signed glossy on my wall.  

I grew up in the 70s/80s, but I guessed right.

• Love 4
18 minutes ago, AuntiePam said:

I grew up in the 90's. I got them instantly, and was also very sad that nobody knew them 😞

FJ was so easy, and I am terrible with poetry.

It is weird to go back to 'normal' play. I don't remember, had James' run started airing before the Teacher's Tournament was filmed?

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

The Everly Brothers ...

... kissed me! They were performing in my town and I was chosen to present them with a thank you gift.

(I was a young teen... swore I'd never wash my face again. First, of many, lies I've told me.)

• LOL 8
  • Love 15
46 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

The photo didn't help me at all, but "brothers" plus "bye bye love" definitely did. (Grew up in the 60s & 70s)

• Love 2

I got Everly brothers because Everly has become a trendy name for little girls. (I do not approve.)

That literature category was way too easy for anything beyond a teen tournament.

• Love 3

I was shocked there were so many TS’s. I’m used to those runaway games with James so it really seemed different tonight. I got Woolworth, Uranus, Power outages, the Everly Brothers and Love Boat. I drew a blank on FJ but have a good reason why (not that it matters here). I’m so excited to hopefully see Teebax tomorrow night. I also liked the guy Joe who won tonight (if it comes down to it Teebax will come first though). 

• Love 6

Every once in awhile I get a vibe from a contestant that they walked in thinking they were going to steamroll right through the game. I got that from one of them today. 

These tournaments with wildcards screw up the game. The woman on the right’s FJ bet wasn’t enough to win, even though she had enough to do so if she was right and middle guy was wrong. So she was just hedging her bet to get a higher amount instead of gambling on a possible for-the-win bet. 

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Arkay said:

I thought the entire board was easier than normal, and based on my scores -- last game with James, 12 correct; today's game, 42 correct -- I have to say that's a fact for the entire episode.

I did appreciate the man winner betting more than "usual" in the DD. If the second-place woman had bet wiser in FJ, she might be assured of getting a wild-card spot. Now it's a wait and see.

All the TSs were so depressing: Love Boat, Everly Brothers, Woolworth (there was a Woolworth's clue not that long ago) and meal ticket. Of course I ran the Iowa category. I'll have to play J6 to see if Radar O'Reilly is the Iowa answer there, @opus. Or Tom Arnold. (Loose meat sandwich!)

At least I'm starting this week with a FJ. I'm betting some asterisks are in our future.

Tomorrow: @teebax. Yeay!

• Love 8
18 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

I was shocked there were so many TS’s. I’m used to those runaway games with James so it really seemed different tonight.

Me too. I thought that most of the clues belonged in a teen tournament, not a teacher's tournament. Why would they dumb it down for teachers? Celebrities I can understand, but not educators.

• Love 8
(edited)
54 minutes ago, secnarf said:

It is weird to go back to 'normal' play. I don't remember, had James' run started airing before the Teacher's Tournament was filmed?

I can't recall either, but I'm sure someone here will know. Also, this is tournament play, so I presume it's going to be quite awhile until we are back to actual "normal" play.

I'm not on Twitter very much, but I have noticed that James and Ken were sort of playfully bantering with one another, but now they seem to have edged into trolling and trash talking. Definitely not as friendly!

So many of us have the same wish....a Brad/Ken/James challenge that MUST have Alex as the host. In light of the harsh reality of Alex' health, who knows what will be possible by the time James is done? I know Jeopardy is a business, and that there are rules, regulations, logistics etc. involved, but maybe the show can do something special? Perhaps they can have a live, one-day Super Challenge even before James' reign is over? I saw something about this on Twitter, as well. Someone suggested a live, one hour challenge with the proceeds to go to a cancer charity. I would love for this to happen while Alex is still able to participate.

P.S. Looking forward to you tomorrow, Teebax!

P.P.S. I was once in the studio audience for Celebrity Jeopardy at Radio City Music Hall. That's my only interaction with Alex, but it's making me very nostalgic. I can't even imagine what it's like for those of you who have been contestants.

Edited by Arkay
  • Love 2

Why were the clues selected from top-to-bottom in each category?  And the winning score was only around $20K?  And the contestants had a fairly reasonable distribution of answers?  The show was so pre-James.

I saw the Everly Brothers live in Vegas, probably 20 years ago.  They have a pretty extensive catalog of hits and played nearly all of 'em.  Their heyday was certainly before my time, but I had the answer with either the picture or the clue.

• LOL 5
  • Love 3
(edited)
23 minutes ago, Arkay said:

I can't recall either, but I'm sure someone here will know. Also, this is tournament play, so I presume it's going to be quite awhile until we are back to actual "normal" play.

I'm not on Twitter very much, but I have noticed that James and Ken were sort of playfully bantering with one another, but now they seem to have edged into trolling and trash talking. Definitely not as friendly!

The trolling is very gentle as far as Twitter goes. I think they're just playing it up for their followers. I wouldn't be surprised if they already knew each other, since James has been well-known in trivia circles for several years.

Speaking of Twitter, James is only following two people. I think we can all guess who.

Edited by Abstract
17 minutes ago, Arkay said:

I am on Twitter and follow James and Ken. If someone wants to call their back and forth trolling and trash talking, I can't help that, but it's far from it. Ken is hilarious and so funny, with a sharp wit. Plus he is a genuinely nice guy. I'll post a tweet series in the Media thread for people to make up their own minds. I believe Jeopardy producers started the #ChasingKen hashtag, not James or Ken.

• Love 3

Oh dear, those clues were better suited to students (and not of the university variety) than teachers; it drives me batty when the Teacher’s Tournament clues are noticeably easier than those in a typical game.  It’s insulting.

Woolworth being a TS surprised me, but maybe they only knew the last name and figured they’d also be asked for the initials because of the category.  I have no theory – other than “before their time” – for the Everly Brothers TS.  Or meal ticket.  The Love Boat and Tollund Man TS were a bit surprising, too.

I was rooting for Julia (while I normally don’t pay much attention to contestants, in tournaments I like to pick someone to root for each game, and a female chemistry teacher was definitely going to get my vote – plus, I like when people hold the buzzer with their arms crossed like that, as it’s how I would find it most comfortable), but car accidents as her answer in place of power outages for the recurring problem caused by free-flying mylar balloons made that momentarily difficult.

• Love 2
(edited)

That was enjoyable.

I got Woolworth, power outages, Everly Brothers, and The Love Boat.

I did not get FJ, because I'm an idiot. I even had to memorize the poem in high school. Perhaps I just blocked the whole thing. After sixth grade, I was never a fan of any assignment that involved an oral presentation. Plus, I was never a big poetry fan.

2 hours ago, Browncoat said:

But I guess The Love Boat was before their time.  I watched that every week (as a drinking game in college!), followed by Fantasy Island.

Or, in my case, followed by a trip to the college pub. Looking back, it's scary how much my friends and I loved that show. My sorority (don't judge me, lol) even did a Love Boat themed skit during rush week. Good times!

I can't stand James.

Sorry, I couldn't help myself. ;-)

Go, teebax!

Edited by lb60
  • Love 3
48 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

I am on Twitter and follow James and Ken. If someone wants to call their back and forth trolling and trash talking, I can't help that, but it's far from it. Ken is hilarious and so funny, with a sharp wit. Plus he is a genuinely nice guy. I'll post a tweet series in the Media thread for people to make up their own minds. 

Thanks. I'll go check out that thread. I follow several people on Twitter and have so much to read! I want to unfollow some because there's just too much stuff, so I hesitate to add anyone. #FirstWorldProblems

As for the show, I finally have some TSs! I feel so smart. Power outages, the Everly Bros, and The Love Boat. The Everly Brothers always makes me think of the time many years ago when we had a party, and my husband put on an Everly Brothers CD. When you hear one of their songs, it's fine, but hearing several in a row is kind of torture. They almost sound like they're playing at half-speed. People at our party were making fun of it, and I think it made my husband feel bad. 

I also got FJ. I quickly figured out that those lines were describing a road not taken.

• Love 2
(edited)
10 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

The Everly Brothers always makes me think of the time many years ago when we had a party, and my husband put on an Everly Brothers CD.

Wow, a CD, so modern. We had The Everly Brothers tunes on 45s. "Cathy's Clown"! Tell your husband he could play his EB CD for me. Hey, I'm a poet! ("You, sir, are no Robert Frost.")

Edited by saber5055
  • LOL 3
  • Love 2
(edited)

Another person who is so old that the Everly Brothers was a piece of cake! I loved them way back and was sure glad they finally ended their feud....I guess that being together as long as they were, could(and did) cause personality problems. Another really easy one was the George Reeve, Superman question. I avidly watched that all of those years ago. Does everyone know that he played one of the Tarleton twins in GWTW?

Edited by suebee12
  • Useful 1
  • Love 10

Why does Alex find Italian so difficult? I am guessing that Il Cortile in Little Italy doesn’t pronounce their name as Il Cor-teal, but rather the correct Il Cor-tee-lay.

I grew up (in the 70s/80s) listening to oldies radio with my mom so the Everly Brothers were no problem. I was a bit dumbfounded by the TS of the Love Boat but my (younger) husband had no idea for that either. I assume it’s a sign of something that he and I have talked about before - the divide between people who grew up with limited channels and those who grew up with tons of cable channels, including ones catering specifically to kids. I watched a lot of stuff that I wouldn’t have chosen to watch if there were better options, but ... there weren’t! 🙂

I thought FJ was super easy although I appreciated that they quoted the “tricky” part (Frost always said that poem was a bit tricky).

Looking forward to seeing teebax on the show tomorrow!

• Love 6

I could do without the Alexa cross-promotion, especially knowing that Amazon did not contribute classroom grants this year. But to their credit @teebax assures that they were generous in many other ways. 

There were actually TSs! I got meal ticket, Everly Brothers, & Love Boat. I grew up in the 70s-80s & am not really sure how I know the Everly Brothers; just something in this brain o'mine. The Love Boat is something I remember only watching when we had a babysitter, so I guess my parents didn't allow us to watch it as kids & tweens. I answered 50 clues correctly (including FJ) GFM 🍹

Can't wait to watch teebax Tuesday, which means either we will lose power, U-Verse will be down, or there will be breaking news during Jeopardy. 

5 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I didn't grow up in the 50s, and I got it right away!  🙂

So did I. 

4 hours ago, SHD said:

Every once in awhile I get a vibe from a contestant that they walked in thinking they were going to steamroll right through the game. I got that from one of them today. 

I got the same vibe.

1 hour ago, suebee12 said:

Does everyone know that he played one of the Tarleton twins in GWTW?

I did not. Great piece of trivia! 

• Love 7
(edited)

I knew about the Tarleton twins, but I’m the one dunce of the night who didn’t know Robert Frost. I guessed Walt Whitman. (Hey, grassy, Leaves of Grass . . .).  They may have made us read The Glass Menagerie in high school but not much poetry.  In general the board seemed easier than the regular matches.

Woolworth was easy for me, but I work across the street from the Woolworth Building in NYC. 

Did not know Uranus or any of the other astronomy clues, but planet trivia is something one would have to study for the show. It’s not the sort of general info one picks up in life.

I surely did not not know the Montgolfier brothers (anyone? Bueller?  Bueller?).

Finally, is there a special name for Joe’s flub where he said Italy (repeating part of the original clue) instead of Austria and then actually said aloud the correct response, earning a “naughty, naughty” from Alex?  

Oh, yeah. Go Teebax. 

Edited by GussieK
  • Love 2
8 hours ago, SpiritSong said:

Me too. I thought that most of the clues belonged in a teen tournament, not a teacher's tournament. Why would they dumb it down for teachers? Celebrities I can understand, but not educators.

I agree it's annoying and insulting. I guess they don't want to risk teachers looking foolish when their kids will be watching. But it ends up having the opposite effect and playing into the negative stereotype that teachers aren't really very smart (if they were they'd be teaching college/researching).

8 hours ago, GenerationX said:

Why were the clues selected from top-to-bottom in each category?  And the winning score was only around $20K?  And the contestants had a fairly reasonable distribution of answers?  The show was so pre-James.

I saw the Everly Brothers live in Vegas, probably 20 years ago.  They have a pretty extensive catalog of hits and played nearly all of 'em.  Their heyday was certainly before my time, but I had the answer with either the picture or the clue.

Wow--a game where the outcome was actually in doubt until the end! How quaint! Although I thought Joe was going to do a James there for awhile until Julia came on strong in DJ.

I also knew the Everly Brothers and Love Boat. I even remember that the Everly Bros briefly had their own show. It was a summer replacement for Johnny Cash.

I know what people mean about younger folks not getting 60s/70s pop culture references. I wonder how many of my colleagues--never mind my students--would know what I mean when I refer to a kid as an Eddie Haskell?

• LOL 3
  • Love 3