Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 35 (2018-2019)

Athena
  • Start Topic

This week got started better for me.  I had Tour de France, stylus, and FJ in an instaget.

Middle guy actually had a shot for a while, or at least longer than most.  Watching James play Jeopardy! is like watching the '95-'96 Bulls play basketball.  It doesn't take long for the game to be out of reach.

• Love 2
14 minutes ago, Kathira said:

I wondered whether or not Alex essentially egged him on to do it, by stopping to explain James's "all in" gesture before the wager. If he hadn't made it up and won anyway, it would sort of been Alex's fault.

I also thought that Alex egged him on to do his gesture and go all in. 

I got pine and stylus and FJ was an instaget. 

I’m watching, but it’s not as fun without many TSers and James being so dominant. 

• Love 2
40 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

I instantly said D-Day invasion although I didn't know what "real" people the stamp would depict, maybe just generic soldiers. Iwo Jima was a "duh" moment.

This was my exact thought process.

I saw the clue online about an hour before watching Jeopardy, and could come up with nothing at that time, but as soon as the clue came up onscreen as I was watching, I instantly (and confidently) said D-Day. Iwo Jima didn't even cross my mind, but seemed very obvious in retrospect.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
52 minutes ago, KLovestoShop said:

When I know the answers, they’re not all that tough because I’m no Einstein. 

Awwwww, I'm sure you're plenty smart, but this did make me laugh.

FJ was an instaget.

I can't stand James.

I'm sending flowers, chocolates, and champagne to the player that finally takes him down. I don't even care if they are highly annoying. They will be my (s)hero, for at least a day!

• LOL 3
  • Love 7
36 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Are y'all talking about Ryan, the Puppy Ignorer?  Fenster.  I had a boss named Fenster and Ryan would be about the right age to be his grandson. I found him on FB and he had no friends or relatives from my ex-boss' family, so I decided they weren't related, even though he had a physical resemblance to my ex-boss & his two sons.

Yes, Puppy Deserter Fenster is currently on late-night Jeopardy reruns in Illinois. He still might be family to your ex boss. They could have unfriended him/banned him on social media, which is why he's not showing up there. Sort of like how I'm trying to ban him from my Jeopardy life.

It was weird to watch a rerun where players started at the top and didn't garner a lot of $ during the episode, and no one was smarter than anyone else. It was quite pedantic and boring after living life in The James Fast Lane. Me likee Fast Lane!

• Love 2

@lb60 @Browncoat @Julia67
I don't like him either. Arrogant smart-ass. I really hate it when he interrupts Alex to pick a category. On a shallow note, those choppers really put me off for some reason.

2 hours ago, Writing Wrongs said:

I have quit watching Jeopardy until the current champ is gone. My annoyance was outweighing my pleasure in watching, so I decided to step away. I really miss it, though. 😞

Somebody please beat him!

Seriously! I'm beginning to feel the same way. I stopped watching the "Buzzy" season for just this reason. Why are all the so-called champs so darn annoying?

Here's my question: How is James always so quick on the buzzer? There has to be some sort of advantage going on there.  Side-eyeing along with today's female contestant. I felt bad for her, especially. I like it better when it's a real close competition, not a game of one.

Re: Year of Wow. It may seem like a big chunk of change to his wife, but taxes will eat up close to 50% of it.  Budget wisely! Frankly, they should save the $$ for their kids' therapy sessions, I have a feeling they'll need them.

• LOL 3
  • Love 3

I don't understand the James "hate".  I think he's a gracious player and one of the reasons I like him is he's not constantly interupting Alex.  I've also noticed him not ringing in when he's way ahead in the game.  In fact I first noticed it when Anna was a contestant.  She was the woman last week that didn't ring in at all during the first round.  I've also noticed that he makes a point of shaking hands with the other contestants at the end of the game. I don't like games where contestants start at the top and work their way down the row everytime.  Especially when they don't even know the answers to the $200 questions.  It's boring. I would think if you're a contestant in a game like this you're in it to win it.  If you aren't, you shouldn't be there.   I've also never understood personal slams against someone because of their looks.  It's mean and not funny at all.  

• Love 23
2 minutes ago, shlbycindyk said:

I wasn't talking to you! You're nice.

LOL. I try to be! This is suppose to be a fun place, not a bully pulpit. At least IMHO, and I try to treat it that way.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Browncoat said:

I did get pine and stylus.  I figured stylus was a TS because it was before their time (along with vinyl records and turntables).🙂

I knew pine thanks to Hurricane Isabel, 2003.  We had a loblolly pine in our backyard, 20+ feet high, that was uprooted and fell on our fence and the neighbors' shed.

I knew flag raising at Iwo Jima right off 

• Love 2

Still not tired of watching James win! 

Count me in as another who could only come up with D-Day for FJ.

Am I the only one who's been looking through the archive to see if Notre Dame Cathedral has been used lately in a clue? 

• Love 1
15 minutes ago, Abstract said:

Am I the only one who's been looking through the archive to see if Notre Dame Cathedral has been used lately in a clue? 

OMGosh, I didn't think of that. But if it's a clue tomorrow, I'm freaking out.

No Jeopardy in my market due to Notre Dame coverage. Checked the J!Archives & FJ was an instaget. 

I sometimes think of all the fun I could have without having parochial school tuition, summer camp, college funds, sports, entertainment, & other assorted fees & expenses, etc. x3. And then the little parasites expect to be fed a few times a day! Sheesh!   

2 hours ago, SHD said:

That crossed my mind, but it makes the least sense in Jeopardy, since people don’t get to keep the money they rack up unless they win. The other two are only ever going to get second and third place amounts, no matter what they earn. I’d believe it more if he answered NO questions at the end, but if his intention is to make challengers feel better, coming in right at the end and steamrolling them on the last few questions seems more like a “There, I hope you enjoyed your ‘gimmes’ but let me run over you at the end” move. I would think contestants on Jeopardy wouldn’t want pity points, anyway.

I hardly ever feel this way, except I did for that one champ...I think his name was Ryan.

Agree about James. I'm sure he thinks he's being nice by 'allowing' his competitors a chance to respond, but it comes across to me as, "enjoy my crumbs peasants". But I actually do like him, just find the games boring at this point. 

And yes Ryan the puppy abandoner is pretty much reviled here. And then he got himself brought back for....reasons. I can't even remember what the exact deal was. Some inconsistency in judging - shocking I know! 

2 hours ago, KLovestoShop said:

I’m surprised that they have made so many of the Daily Doubles so easy.  When I know the answers, they’re not all that tough because I’m no Einstein.  I’d really like to see the DD’s be very tough when he does his “All In” push.  

That is what's going to ultimately cook his goose I think. 

12 minutes ago, Abstract said:

We were wondering the same. I think there was a Hugo clue fairly recently in a Male Authors category.  IIRC it was a DD that I rolled my eyes at because it was so easy. Or I'm imagining it, which is just as feasible these days!

8 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

OMGosh, I didn't think of that. But if it's a clue tomorrow, I'm freaking out.

That's because you're not ghoulish like some of us! 

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, SHD said:

That crossed my mind, but it makes the least sense in Jeopardy, since people don’t get to keep the money they rack up unless they win.

I think a lot of the fun in Jeopardy is not just winning money, but getting to ring in and answer, hopefully correctly. I would hate to get on the show and always get out-buzzed. This is what I think James has in mind, that although he has the buzzer skills to beat everyone, he will let up every now and then to let others enjoy the experience.

The only TS I got was stylus. I've heard of the loblolly pine, so I should have gotten that, but didn't.

And I got FJ. Seemed pretty easy.

• Love 10

Just have to chime in...I got the Loblolly pine answer thanks to Home Town and Ben dressed in woodsman clothes!(probably should have gotten it because I was born and raised in VA but that was not why......).

I did notice that today the male contestant followed James' pattern and went for the bottom of the board while the female contestant kept going back to the top.

• Love 6

I have no problem with James at all.  He doesn't seem smug or arrogant, and he's practically under a vow of silence compared to the many egotistical douchebag champions this show has produced.  I like his quiet confidence.

As far as his looks, I think the only close ones suggested were Elvis Stojko and Seth McFarlane - but I'd add a smidge of Ben Affleck to that combination.  I think it's because his face is a little large.  But I think he looks nice and I'm enjoying his run.

• Love 11

Yeah, he looks like a young Simon Cowell to me, too. What's odd for me is that, like Simon, his face always seems to be a touch out of focus - a little fuzzy, but I'm guessing that's related to my mild case of face blindness.

• LOL 1
10 hours ago, Kathira said:

I wondered whether or not Alex essentially egged him on to do it, by stopping to explain James's "all in" gesture before the wager. If he hadn't made it up and won anyway, it would sort of been Alex's fault.

no, it wouldn't.  I think he's done the all in bet every single time in the first round.  But, even if Alex did egg him on, he would have made his own decision.  

9 hours ago, Ms Lark said:

I don't like him either. Arrogant smart-ass. I really hate it when he interrupts Alex to pick a category. On a shallow note, those choppers really put me off for some reason.

I always like it when people interrupt Alex to pick a category, because my main concern is getting through all the clues. I like Alex and everything, but sometimes he slows the game down.

• Love 10

Today I decided that I actually kind of like James, although it takes the drama out of FJ to be sure.  What I don't like is how Alex is fawning over him. I think the monetary comparisons are ok, like last night (though I don't love wasting game time on them), but the Ken Jennings comparison, after 4 games, with a number of other people still having won more games than he has (and now at 8 games, there are still several other people who have won more than 8 games...).  He seems nice and friendly, and very knowledgeable (I was impressed with the in country answers, because I just couldn't get to them quick enough, and he was fast on those), and he doesn't do anything that annoys me.  But Alex is becoming annoying in response to him, which is diminishing my pleasure, if that makes sense.

I thought of D-Day at first, but then realized there would be no specific people to show on the stamp.  So I just thought of iconic WWII images, and the flag raising at Iwo Jima came immediately to mind.  It's been used a LOT, because of a photograph that happened to catch a moment in history with amazing composition.  

Edited by Ailianna
  • Love 6

I kept going back and forth between Iwo Jima and D-Day. I finally settled on D-Day. Wrong!

James has so permeated my mind that the first thing I thought when I read about the bookies losing money on the Tiger Woods Master win was whether James got in on that action. He certainly has enough money to have bet a bundle.

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, mertensia said:

What's odd for me is that, like Simon, his face always seems to be a touch out of focus - a little fuzzy, but I'm guessing that's related to my mild case of face blindness.

This is what I meant when I said it almost looks like he has an Instagram/Snapchat filter over his face at all times!  His skin is just tooo perfect!

Local widespread cable/internet outage in our area yesterday so didn't get to watch and the DVR didn't record either.  Looking forward to tuning in tonight!

3 hours ago, Ailianna said:

But Alex is becoming annoying in response to him, which is diminishing my pleasure, if that makes sense.

LOL at this because Alex ruins a lot of my pleasure in watching this show. He can be such a tool sometimes. I, too, hate the fawning over James and comparing him to anyone. He's his own person, not a clone of someone else. Just let him play and let the games proceed. JMHO of course, as always.

3 hours ago, Good Queen Jane said:

the first thing I thought when I read about the bookies losing money on the Tiger Woods Master win was whether James got in on that action.

That's a good question, one I never thought of, naturally. I have no clue how sports betting works. If I ever get on this show, "Sports Bets" will probably be another category I will tank.

• Love 7
15 hours ago, Ms Lark said:

Seriously! I'm beginning to feel the same way. I stopped watching the "Buzzy" season for just this reason. Why are all the so-called champs so darn annoying?

Here's my question: How is James always so quick on the buzzer? There has to be some sort of advantage going on there.  Side-eyeing along with today's female contestant. I felt bad for her, especially. I like it better when it's a real close competition, not a game of one.

Re: Year of Wow. It may seem like a big chunk of change to his wife, but taxes will eat up close to 50% of it.  Budget wisely! Frankly, they should save the $$ for their kids' therapy sessions, I have a feeling they'll need them.

Yes I think they would be wise to save the money and do maybe a "summer of wow".  Between taxes and a year of overseas travel could easily eat up a bunch of that money quickly.  It seems like a lot but never goes as far as you think. 

I still like watching him though and don't have a problem with him. 

• Love 1

I would absolutely be in for a Year of Wow. I’m guessing they can spare it if it’s even a consideration for them. But my husband and I made a couple of international moves for post-doc positions that cost more than they paid and in spite of setting us back financially, I would not trade the experiences for the money. 

I got Iwo Jima, although I thought it was kind of a tough one for the Final just because of trying to figure out how to word it and then writing it all down in the time allotted, and that’s just if you had it immediately. I would have wondered if just “Iwo Jima” would have been enough and then thinking if “the flag raising at Iwo Jima” was better or worse because less is usually better so you don’t screw up some minor thing, etc etc ... I would have been hard-pressed to decide and write it in the 30 seconds.

• Love 5
24 minutes ago, DrSpaceman said:

Yes I think they would be wise to save the money and do maybe a "summer of wow".  Between taxes and a year of overseas travel could easily eat up a bunch of that money quickly.  It seems like a lot but never goes as far as you think.  

It seems like one or more of the champs who returned for the All Stars Game took a year off to travel after winning big on the show. Even if James lost now, he'd have something like $200,000 in his pocket after taxes. One can travel cheaply, even overseas. I know because I always travel cheaply. One does not have to stay in a Hilton suite or eat in a five-star restaurant. There's camping and packing your own food purchased at local groceries. I've toured the entire southwestern United States without spending much at all. Those are trips I'll have forever. If I were James' partner, we'd do several years of "wow" with me holding the purse strings.

Then I'd send him to another game show to win more. Ha ha!

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
7 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

It seems like one or more of the champs who returned for the All Stars Game took a year off to travel after winning big on the show

That was one thing I liked about Austin--his dream to buy an old Mercedes wagon and drive around the world: "...buy a W124 in New York City, drive down through South America, up through Africa to Europe, across to Vladivostok, then back through India, over to Australia, and then hop over to Alaska before driving it back to New York City."

I hope he actually does it someday. 

• Love 9

I don't know how lucrative sports betting is, but James and his wife may have some money already. If they don't mind traveling with a four-year-old, they should do their year of wow now. Once their daughter starts school, taking a year off will be difficult. 

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Good Queen Jane said:

James has so permeated my mind that the first thing I thought when I read about the bookies losing money on the Tiger Woods Master win was whether James got in on that action. He certainly has enough money to have bet a bundle.

I just heard on my local news that a day trader from Wisconsin cashed in a check for $1.2 million betting on Tiger Woods in Las Vegas. His ticket was shown ... he bet $42,500! Obviously, day traders make more than I do.

32 minutes ago, bad things are bad said:

That was one thing I liked about Austin--his dream to buy an old Mercedes wagon and drive around the world:

I think Austin got a car reality show on some cable channel. Don't quote me though. He said that was another of his dreams, I guess he's a car aficionado.

• Love 1
18 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

I just heard on my local news that a day trader from Wisconsin cashed in a check for $1.2 million betting on Tiger Woods in Las Vegas. His ticket was shown ... he bet $42,500! Obviously, day traders make more than I do.

Only if they're good.  They can also lose more than you make.

• Love 1
16 hours ago, saber5055 said:

This is suppose to be a fun place, not a bully pulpit. At least IMHO, and I try to treat it that way.

Ah, some of us old-timers try to keep the spirit of Television Without Pity (aka TWoP) alive through Previously.tv now Primetimer. "Spare the snark and spoil the network." *sigh* Snark rules!

• LOL 1
  • Love 15
48 minutes ago, Ms Lark said:

Ah, some of us old-timers try to keep the spirit of Television Without Pity (aka TWoP) alive through Previously.tv now Primetimer. "Spare the snark and spoil the network." *sigh* Snark rules!

Posters got warns and banned daily on TWoP. I went through five identities there, and posters would "disappear" on a regular basis. I prefer PTV in every way. I believe there is a difference between snark, expressing an opinion and just being nasty. I do the first two, and please someone KMA if I do the third.

• LOL 1
  • Love 8

I'm perfectly willing to abuse people based on looks or anything else if they're on shows like The Bachelor/ette because those shows cast shallow little twits who think their shit doesn't stink.  Jeopardy and similar shows are different and I will not shame those contestants for their looks.  But they're fair game if they act like jerks or do something hilariously awful.

• LOL 1
  • Love 7

I follow the TLo guidelines.  I do not snark on someone for something they cannot change, like the shape of their nose.   It if they show up with pink hair and  a pomegranate and puce shirt, they are fair game.

• Love 10

I said Siberia for FJ.  I refuse to be ashamed for that.

It was actually a really bad game for me overall.  Oh well.  At least the only witness to my humiliation is my cat.  And as you can see from her picture, she's fairly disdainful of me in general and my Jeopardy performance doesn't really affect that.

• LOL 4
  • Love 2

I knew glass armonica, because there is a musician named Dean Shostak who has given concerts at Colonial Williamsburg with the armonica as well as other glass instruments.  I’ve been to several; they’re wonderful!

On the other hand, I guessed Siberia for FJ.  😕

Edited by zoey1996
  • Useful 2
  • Love 3

I mean, I like seeing champs who really command a game but I hope James runs into some good challengers at some point.

I’m not sure why the middle guy bet anything on FJ. I guess since second place was a foregone conclusion he was going for the “I played against James and I racked up over $20,000 dollars” brag.

• Love 2

I was horrified that "permanent press prevents wrinkles" was worth $2000, then I was more horrified that James missed it. Then I was flabbergasted that a guy who doesn't know what permanent press is for can still rack up half a million in Jeopardy winnings.

• LOL 5
  • Love 8

Put me in with the people who start to get bored with the same person winning day after day. That said, I've been killing it this week, getting the finals too.

• Love 6

For FJ today I did the opposite of the middle contestant, sort of - I initially said Siberia (was having a serious case of on-the-tip-of-my-tongue and it took about 15 seconds for me to remember the name of 'that big frigid area in the north of Russia'), then switched to Crimea because of the 'news' category and the 2014 year, and then second-guessed Crimea because of the size. I thought 10,000 square miles is a lot bigger than it really is, because it's ~3000 miles to get from the west to east coast of northern USA/southern Canada. I was too slow to realize that the square root of 10,000 is only 100

dumb full house GIF

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, zoey1996 said:

I knew glass armonica, because there is a musician named Dean Shostak who has given concerts at Colonial Williamsburg with the armonica as well as other glass instruments.  I’ve been to several; they’re wonderful!

On the other hand, I guessed Siberia for FJ.  😕

So jealous!  I tried to time one of my trips there to see the armonica performance, but it just didn't work out.  I'd love to hear him play it.

I also guessed Siberia, and was very confident in my guess.  Oh well!

But I do wonder if they would have ruled me correct for "panino" instead of "panini", since panino is the singular (and therefore correct if you are only making or ordering one).

• Love 2
40 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

So jealous!  I tried to time one of my trips there to see the armonica performance, but it just didn't work out.  I'd love to hear him play it.

I also guessed Siberia, and was very confident in my guess.  Oh well!

But I do wonder if they would have ruled me correct for "panino" instead of "panini", since panino is the singular (and therefore correct if you are only making or ordering one).

Good question

• Love 1

I really need the person responsible for coming up with their stock food images to get it together they are usually the worst examples and that flat bread with sprouts and roast beef that was barely pressed was the saddest panini I have seen! 

FJ was an IG.

• Love 3

Poor Katie! I was hoping James would slow down like we were talking about upthread to let her rack up a few dollars to play FJ. She would have still placed 3rd, but at least been able to play. 

Both hubby & I immediately answered Siberia for FJ but realized that was not correct. We remembered the news story about the annexation of somewhere & changeover to Moscow time but couldn't remember what was annexed. 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Katy M said:

I said Siberia for FJ.  I refuse to be ashamed for that.

It was actually a really bad game for me overall.  Oh well.  At least the only witness to my humiliation is my cat.  And as you can see from her picture, she's fairly disdainful of me in general and my Jeopardy performance doesn't really affect that.

I said Siberia too!  I was trying to think of a large place....my hubby pipes up with "Crimea" and I was like "Really?"  so he had fun lording it over me 🙂

• Love 3
34 minutes ago, Phebemarie said:

Would it have been too much to ask to give her a shot at that final clue before ringing in?  

Yes. I don’t know many adults who would want a pity advantage in a competition.

• Love 1