Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 35 (2018-2019)

Athena
  • Start Topic

8 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I don't remember the wording, but it was something about sea turtles coming onto land to lay eggs, I think.

Okay, I do remember a sea turtle clue - I didn't realize that was the category.

Charles Schulz introduced a girl baseball player in the later years of the PEANUTS strip who was "Royanne Hobbs," alleged granddaughter of Roy from THE NATURAL. Charlie Brown tells her that Roy is fictional, ruining her life.

Edited by Gimmick Genius
Spelling
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1
3 minutes ago, PaulaO said:

I had to snigger when Mr. The Football answered strip house instead of chop house.  Yes, I am 12.

It actually took me a minute to figure out how that would even be an answer to the question, because yeah, my mind went strip house, to strip club.  But, then I realized, OK, like sirloin strips.

2 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

Okay, I do remember a sea turtle clue - I didn't realize that was the category.

J-archive has been updated -- this was the $400 clue in the Wet Tortugas category.

19 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

BTW, it was The Dry Tortugas.

The Dry Tortugas was a first round category, where they uncovered all but one clue, and The Wet Tortugas was a DJ category, where they only got to one clue.

• Love 4

This was not my day.  But, I did get FJ.  I also got a TS, but I forgot what it was.   I also couldn't remember where Yerevan was.  I said Georgia even though Iknew that wasn't right.

I was confused about Belle though.  Wasn't that in the No BET category, That has a B and an E.

I knew she'd win, since she annoyed me so much with her torture of the buzzer. 

I'm embarrassed to admit I missed FJ.  I should have started thinking about the subject during the commercial break, but didn't, then when the clue was revealed, I started with southern states, and never got to New York.  This is a bad FJ week for me, and I don't even have the excuse of being in a hotel! 

But I did get Guinness on tap, Richard Pryor, crosstown, and air traffic control.  I was sad that Richard Pryor was a TS.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Katy M said:

This was not my day.  But, I did get FJ.  I also got a TS, but I forgot what it was.   I also couldn't remember where Yerevan was.  I said Georgia even though Iknew that wasn't right.

I was confused about Belle though.  Wasn't that in the No BET category, That has a B and an E.

I couldn't think of NY, embarrassingly, since it's my home state!

The French for "beast" is "bete", and Beauty is Belle. The clue wanted the title character that wasn't the Beast.

36 minutes ago, PaulaO said:

I couldn’t finish watching the show because of the middle contestant. I can’t even remember her name.  Let me know when she loses.

Lindsay. I didn't mind her at all, and I was grateful to her for ridding us of Shoutin' Barton.

Edited by GreekGeek
  • Love 3

Even though I knew it was going to happen, Alex's message to open the show made me go through a few Kleenex.

On a shallow note, Kevin was all kinds of cute, a ginger with glasses. *hot*

Okay, sorry about that. (Or not!)

I got Guinness on Tap. I don't drink but St. Paddy's day is coming up. I also got Richard Pryor. I remember when he caught himself on fire cooking drugs.

I would have needed a lot more time, like maybe another hour, for me to come up with FJ. The clue was really close to the FJ that kicked Austin Rogers out of the 2017 TofC (Montpellier).

Barton made a brave wager, betting it all at the end, and could have pulled out another win if not for the power that was Lindsey. She played great and I'm hoping she has a long run. Meanwhile, congrats to Barton for some games well played.

And I'm guessing Chelsea Clinton enjoyed talking about her shoes instead of her parents. That was a good interview story. (I still want some Jeopardy haikus though.)

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Browncoat said:

I'm embarrassed to admit I missed FJ.  I should have started thinking about the subject during the commercial break, but didn't, then when the clue was revealed, I started with southern states, and never got to New York.  This is a bad FJ week for me, and I don't even have the excuse of being in a hotel! 

I got it at the last second.  I actually started with New England, but then I headed south, and then to the Midwest, started to panic, and got it.  So, I wouldn't have got it on the show. The panic would have done me in.  But, I probably would have been naming the cpaitals during the break.  I read during commercials.

7 minutes ago, GreekGeek said:

I couldn't think of NY, embarrassingly, since it's my home state!

I also one itme missed my home state capital when it was an FJ.  It is, indeed, embarrassing.

I did not get what was so annoying about the new winner, but then again, I'm more focused on keeping my own score.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, PaulaO said:

I had to snigger when Mr. The Football answered strip house instead of chop house.  Yes, I am 12.

For what it's worth, there's a steak house in New York called Strip House, so I was a little surprised they didn't come back and give it to him.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, PaulaO said:

I couldn’t finish watching the show because of the middle contestant. I can’t even remember her name.  Let me know when she loses.

Sometimes I have to turn off the sound, sometimes the picture. Sometimes both, like tonight.

• LOL 3
5 hours ago, Bastet said:

The Dry Tortugas was a first round category, where they uncovered all but one clue, and The Wet Tortugas was a DJ category, where they only got to one clue.

Ah. Thanks. Obviously I wasn't paying attention.

What did Breaking Bad have to do with BET ("All bets are off...")? 

The only TS I got was Richard Pryor.

Oh my lord Alex’s “accent” on the WSS clue was not okay!

Albany was the first capital I thought of when the category was revealed because I suck at state capitols so was trying to think of as many as I could before the question was asked. 

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, peeayebee said:

What did Breaking Bad have to do with BET ("All bets are off...")? 

The only TS I got was Richard Pryor.

It was the show featuring Saul Goodman that wasn't Better Call Saul.

I agree it was confusing for awhile to recognize what they were looking for in that category. I would have answered "Ty" for the Betty and Veronica question, thinking they wanted the name without "Bet."

I knew Richard Pryor also and was sorry he was a TS, although I was debating whether it was him or Gene Wilder they wanted (Don't recall if both movies in the clue were Pryor/Wilder films.)

• Love 6

I'mma go back in time, infiltrate the set, bumrush the stage, and rip the clicker out of Lindsey's hand.

1 hour ago, GreekGeek said:

I knew Richard Pryor also and was sorry he was a TS, although I was debating whether it was him or Gene Wilder they wanted (Don't recall if both movies in the clue were Pryor/Wilder films.)

The final film they listed was The Mack.  I was sad no one got that clue too.

I don't know if I would've given credit for the "theory ... of ... uncertainty?" answer.

Alex's pre-show remarks were lovely.  Brief, sincere, and to the point.  I'm glad he gets to see how much he's supported.

• Love 7
16 minutes ago, Lois Sandborne said:

I'mma go back in time, infiltrate the set, bumrush the stage, and rip the clicker out of Lindsey's hand.

The final film they listed was The Mack.  I was sad no one got that clue too.

I don't know if I would've given credit for the "theory ... of ... uncertainty?" answer.

Alex's pre-show remarks were lovely.  Brief, sincere, and to the point.  I'm glad he gets to see how much he's supported.

Yeah......I guess all they wanted was "uncertainty".  Its the Uncertainty Principle, not theory. 

I was confused by the BET category as well.  I think it meant the individual letters "B", "E" and "T" were not in the answer, that was clearly not the case.  It was just NOT some other answer with BET in it. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

I said Gene Wilder.  When Richard Pryor was given as the answer, dh said "It was the other one". I just looked it up; Gene Wilder was in both movies in the clue, Stir Crazy and Silver Streak.  They sure made a great team.

Only ts I got was Guinness on tap.  Not a very good game for me.

I did not get FJ.  My mind just wasn't working clearly.  I did think of the FJ that Austin lost on, thought it was the same question but couldn't remember what it was, so no FJ for me.

I don't see anything wrong with Lindsey except that she beat Barton by $1.

5 minutes ago, Trey said:

I did think of the FJ that Austin lost on, thought it was the same question but couldn't remember what it was, so no FJ for me.

Ithink that was the question where the capital's first 4 letters are the same as the state's last 4.  I've lived in Vermont all my life and didn't get it.    It's moments like those that make you want to jump off a bridge.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

It's hard to say whether I "got" Final Jeopardy or not.  I looked at the clue early on TheJeopardyFan.com, as I often do.  I eventually figured out Albany/NY, but I don't know if I would have done it within the 30-second time limit.

On the other hand, I got that Vermont-Montpelier clue that tripped up Austin right away, because back in the days when I was memorizing the states and capitals, that's how I remembered Vermont's capital: it's also got a "Mont" in it! 🙂

I thought Barton had the game sewn up at first.  He was doing really well early on, and then Lindsey came on strong to overtake him.  I thought this was a really good, exciting game.

It may have been just my imagination, but I thought Alex looked a bit thinner in his introductory video (which of course would have been taped much later than the game itself was).  I hope things go well for him.

• Love 5
13 hours ago, Browncoat said:

But I did get Guinness on tap, Richard Pryor, crosstown, and air traffic control.  I was sad that Richard Pryor was a TS.

I'm crap at state capitals (I'm sure I knew them all when I was in third grade, or whenever you learn them in elementary school), but that was many years ago, and if you add another element, I'm sunk.

I was shocked I got Guiness on Tap. It was the only clue I got in that category - and I don't drink beer and I ignore St. Patrick's Day.

1 hour ago, Trey said:

I said Gene Wilder.  When Richard Pryor was given as the answer, dh said "It was the other one". I just looked it up; Gene Wilder was in both movies in the clue, Stir Crazy and Silver Streak.  They sure made a great team.

I didn't know the last movie, but because the clue said "comedian" (or something like that) I picked Prior, because Wilder was a comedic actor, not a comedian (so far as I know).

50 minutes ago, MrAtoz said:

It may have been just my imagination, but I thought Alex looked a bit thinner in his introductory video (which of course would have been taped much later than the game itself was).  I hope things go well for him.

I don't think it was your imagination. I thought he looked drawn, and his voice was a bit rough. I didn't go back to compare, though.

I liked Barton, and the new winner. But then, I am generally okay with most players who are enthusiastic and knowledgeable. I'm no saint, there have certainly those who grated (but when they continued to win, I generally grew to like them). I don't care for the (thankfully few) who seem bored to be there, or those who shut down when they realize they're losing.

• Love 5

I got Albany before they came back from commercial to reveal the clue. 

My thinking went: Albany. Columbus? No, idiot, Albany. Hartford? NO! Albany! Because I only know the capitals of states I've lived in.

WTF with West Side Story?! I'm not sure even I would've got that without the embarrassingly bad accent, but it sure didn't help.

• Love 1
15 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I didn't mind her, didn't even notice anything with the buzzer, but we'll see if her non-annoying of me continues.

I also missed FJ, pretty much for the same reason you did.

I got Richard Pryor and Guinness on tap.  You'd think the "Irish" in the clue might've given it to someone. 

14 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

Lindsay. I didn't mind her at all, and I was grateful to her for ridding us of Shoutin' Barton.

I didn't mind Barton at first, but wanted him gone yesterday.  So I might feel the same about Lindsay after a day or two.  I'm fickle like that.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

It was the show featuring Saul Goodman that wasn't Better Call Saul.

Ohhhhh. I did get Breaking Bad but just didn't understand how BET figured into it. I guess I'm not alone in having trouble with that category.

1 hour ago, Prevailing Wind said:

To be fair, neither was Natalie Wood's.

HA! Maybe Alex was doing an impression of her in WSS.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, ABay said:

My thinking went: Albany. Columbus? No, idiot, Albany. Hartford? NO! Albany! Because I only know the capitals of states I've lived in.

Lol - me too (knowing only the capitals of the states I've lived in)

Is there something different with the way the contestants are mic'ed lately? I know I've seen them desperately trying to buzz in but the last episode or two I've really been hearing  the clickclickclickclick. Mostly I think from the returning champ. Did I just not notice it before?

• Love 1
1 minute ago, SoMuchTV said:

Is there something different with the way the contestants are mic'ed lately? I know I've seen them desperately trying to buzz in but the last episode or two I've really been hearing  the clickclickclickclick. Mostly I think from the returning champ. Did I just not notice it before?

She was just as bad last night. I can't stand her for several reasons, the buzzer mania isn't the biggest one.

• Love 6

Dear Alex,  I suspect you were incorrect when you stated that "most of America" will be watching golf this weekend.  I can think of about eleventy-million things I'd rather do than watch golf.

Good for the middle guy for getting FJ right! I had no idea at all for that one, and generally have no idea when particular musical instruments were invented or even if they're named after their inventors.  Except the sousaphone.  I had high hopes for middle guy at first, too.  The buzzer-torture is killing me.

I only got two TS, too -- twist my arm, and Philip Marlowe.

• LOL 2
  • Love 9
2 minutes ago, Kimmmmmm said:

Well, the buzzer thing is really off-putting, but she claps for her opponents,  which redeems her...for now

Anti-redemption for her weird facial expressions and jumping around the board. Not to mention what I take for a smug puss after she wins.

• Love 2

I hope I never pass that test.  I think I'd be reading about how annoying I am.  

I said Soussa, too.  The only instrument I could think of that was named after someone that wasn't really old was the sousaphone.  I blame Dwight from Fame.  

I don't know how they missed twist my arm.  But, then again my answer was oh crap for an obvious one I couldn't think of.  I did awful DJ tonight.  

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

Hooray for the saxophone! My son has been playing it for the last 3 years, so I knew it was a recently invented instrument. One of the advantages of it being a newer instrument is that it's relatively easy to learn the fingering for the notes. Admittedly, I did think of Sousa first, but he definitely wasn't French.

Edited by Kathira
  • Love 1
3 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I hope I never pass that test.  I think I'd be reading about how annoying I am. 

I've tried to be more sympathetic to the contestants since I found out about my upcoming appearance, but I can't lie. I'm not a fan of the champ. She's definitely knowledgeable, but I can't stand the buzzer clicking and facial expressions. 

I'm also hoping they replace that buzzer before I get there. She's destroying it! 

I wonder if it sounds that loud to the contestants. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 9
34 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

I know I've seen them desperately trying to buzz in but the last episode or two I've really been hearing  the clickclickclickclick.

Jeopardy buzzers are now made out of Shake Weights. You guys didn't know that?

23 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Dear Alex,  I suspect you were incorrect when you stated that "most of America" will be watching golf this weekend.  I can think of about eleventy-million things I'd rather do than watch golf. 

Make that twenty eleventy billion things I'd rather do than watch golf. I strongly dislike golf, my polite way of saying I hate it.

However, I did find the videos of Tiger Woods and Jack Nicklaus to be rather ... well, let's say if I knew them, everyone did.

I caught Trebek's upset "Ooooh" when Bianca only wagered $2,000 on that DD when she was so far behind with only a few clues left. Learn how to wager, players. Conservative play doesn't win. Which it didn't.

That FJ category was sure misleading. "19th Century Names." Not Names in French History or Music History? I hate when that happens, the category has pretty much nothing to do with the clue. My thought process was Stradivari ... no, that's Italian. Then Harp ... was that a guy's name? Then FRENCH HORN! No, that's not a name either. What about piccolo? Bassoon? Then thank goodness time was up and I was spared further angst and embarrassment.

As for irritating players, remember: There but for the grace of god go you. BUT! If I make $20,000, $50,000, a million dollars as champ on this show, you guys can rank and shade me all you want while I laugh all the way to my bank. Go Lindsey!

Edited by saber5055
  • LOL 1
  • Love 7
9 minutes ago, teebax said:

I've tried to be more sympathetic to the contestants since I found out about my upcoming appearance, but I can't lie. I'm not a fan of the champ. She's definitely knowledgeable, but I can't stand the buzzer clicking and facial expressions. 

I'm also hoping they replace that buzzer before I get there. She's destroying it! 

I wonder if it sounds that loud to the contestants. 

you better hope you don't run into a contestant like Lindsey who is a very strong player and has killer buzzer timing cause if u do it could get ugly but I will still be pulling for you when your game airs.

• LOL 2

I did terrible in Double Jeopardy, too, but Final Jeopardy was an insta-get for me.  I started playing the saxophone in sixth grade, and still get my horn out once a year to perform with the WVU Alumni Band.

As a young saxophonist, I remember learning that his name was Adolphe, no - Antoine, no - Adolphe.  Apparently, he was born Antoine, always called Adolphe in the family, but Western sensibilities decided that a good guy can't be called Adolph in the 1930s and 1940s and 1950s.

What I didn't know was that he's not a Frenchie, he's a Belgie! (Stolen from some parody of Hercule Poirot)

• Useful 2
  • Love 4