Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggars and Their World: Fashion, Food, Finance, Schoolin’ and Child Rearin'

• Start Topic

I'm still trying to figure out which Duggarling is still doing handwriting lessons.  I remember handwriting lessons happening by third grade, and shouldn't Miracle Baby Josie be in 4th or 5th by this point?  Copying out passages of a book to work on penmanship is something that all of the Duggar kids should have done years ago.  Unless, Josie does have delays, but why not just admit it at this point?  

• Love 7
10 hours ago, Zella said:

I wouldn't mind the focus on good handwriting* if they seemed to actually give a shit about education in general. 

*My own penmanship is a crime against humanity. 

My penmanship is also horrible-I had someone ask me once if I'd scrawled a note with my feet, and I told them that would probably be more legible. 

I have two fears for the duggar kids: one, that they're not getting any sort of real education but just penmanship lessons, and two, that the kids are being punished for poor penmanship...i think it's a combo of both and that's really sad. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I'm still trying to figure out which Duggarling is still doing handwriting lessons.  I remember handwriting lessons happening by third grade, and shouldn't Miracle Baby Josie be in 4th or 5th by this point?  Copying out passages of a book to work on penmanship is something that all of the Duggar kids should have done years ago.  Unless, Josie does have delays, but why not just admit it at this point?  

A lot of homeschoolers following the Charlotte Mason method incorporate copywork into their curriculum well into middle school. The idea being you learned penmanship earlier but are still practicing and refining.

I have a hard time seeing the Duggars putting much thought into their curriculum choices, but it doesn't automatically strike me as suspicious that older students would still be doing activities like this. (I do have a sinking feeling they fixated on the copywork at the expense of other subjects, probably because this is a very low effort activity for the parent.)

Still, I thought it was hilarious the Duggar post seemed unaware of the fact that using Bible verses for copywork for penmanship isn't their own original idea. Lots of homeschoolers do that and have for years. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 11
54 minutes ago, Zella said:

A lot of homeschoolers following the Charlotte Mason method incorporate copywork into their curriculum well into middle school. The idea being you learned penmanship earlier but are still practicing and refining.

I have a hard time seeing the Duggars putting much thought into their curriculum choices, but it doesn't automatically strike me as suspicious that older students would still be doing activities like this. (I do have a sinking feeling they fixated on the copywork at the expense of other subjects, probably because this is a very low effort activity for the parent.)

Still, I thought it was hilarious the Duggar post seemed unaware of the fact that using Bible verses for copywork for penmanship isn't their own original idea. Lots of homeschoolers do that and have for years. 

I had no idea that there were any curriculums that still incorporated copywork like that.  To me, a child could practice their handwriting while crafting his/her own sentences in middle school.  All of them should be at the level where summarizing the passage, or writing a poem, or even a paragraph or two summarizing the Bible passage.  But then I forget we are dealing with the Duggars here.  Those activities would require the child to use his/her brain and show that he/she understands what they just read.  That road leads to critical thinking and JB can't have that.  Nope, just rote memorization for the kids.

• Love 12
1 hour ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I had no idea that there were any curriculums that still incorporated copywork like that.  To me, a child could practice their handwriting while crafting his/her own sentences in middle school.  All of them should be at the level where summarizing the passage, or writing a poem, or even a paragraph or two summarizing the Bible passage.  But then I forget we are dealing with the Duggars here.  Those activities would require the child to use his/her brain and show that he/she understands what they just read.  That road leads to critical thinking and JB can't have that.  Nope, just rote memorization for the kids.

I agree with you. I was actually a bit taken aback by how many people still really emphasize copywork in middle school which I was not aware of until I had to do some research on Charlotte Mason curriculums for a project I was working on a few years ago. But it definitely has its adherents and fans. 

I think by middle school, they should be doing more complex work and incorporating more critical thinking, and that it makes more sense to emphasize penmanship within actual assignments rather than copywork. Personally, I am glad I was never forced to do copywork. I need all the help I can get with my writing--been told it looks like the written equivalent of mumbling LOL--but I think addressing it within other writing assignments makes more sense than what appears to me to be an incredibly tedious form of busywork. 

But yeah the Duggars don't want critical thinking. And again I don't think we can underestimate how appealing they probably find any school activity that requires so little effort on the part of the teacher/parent. Just park them in front of the copywork and turn them loose. 

Edited by Zella
  • Love 9

I'm more concerned by the writing set up, honestly.  They are copying from a book on the right side.  The paper is slanted for a right handed person, on the left.  The book should be farther up on the left side of the notebook if it is for a right handed student, or the paper should be slanted in the other direction with the book slid up a bit.

I have no idea why this bothers me so much.  It's probably posed for the pic, but all I can see is neck and eye strain.

• Love 6
20 minutes ago, Zella said:

I agree with you. I was actually a bit taken aback by how many people still really emphasize copywork in middle school which I was not aware of until I had to do some research on Charlotte Mason curriculums for a project I was working on a few years ago. But it definitely has its adherents and fans. 

I think by middle school, they should be doing more complex work and incorporating more critical thinking, and that it makes more sense to emphasize penmanship within actual assignments rather than copywork. Personally, I am glad I was never forced to do copywork. I need all the help I can get with my writing--been told it looks like the written equivalent of mumbling LOL--but I think addressing it within other writing assignments makes more sense than what appears to me to be an incredibly tedious form of busywork. 

But yeah the Duggars don't want critical thinking. And again I don't think we can underestimate how appealing they probably find any school activity that requires so little effort on the part of the teacher/parent. Just park them in front of the copywork and turn them loose. 

Some of the homeschooling parents in my area love Charlotte Mason, but the woman died almost 100 years ago.  I don't get using such an old method of instruction with the way technology has advanced.  Penmanship is important to a point, but at this point teaching typing is more important.  Shoot, even in her time typing was a necessary skill.  

• Love 7
6 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

Some of the homeschooling parents in my area love Charlotte Mason, but the woman died almost 100 years ago.  I don't get using such an old method of instruction with the way technology has advanced.  Penmanship is important to a point, but at this point teaching typing is more important.  Shoot, even in her time typing was a necessary skill.  

Yep! I've also found Charlotte Mason fans are very selective about what they apply. For instance, she put a great emphasis on learning foreign languages that I've never seen any Charlotte Mason homeschooler I know take to heart. 

• Love 7
3 hours ago, Zella said:

My own 6th grade curriculum included physics and French, so I’m not very optimistic for the Duggars. It’s sad.

• Love 5
18 hours ago, DangerousMinds said:

My own 6th grade curriculum included physics and French, so I’m not very optimistic for the Duggars. It’s sad.

I was in a christian school using ACE workbooks in the 6th grade. Those were so easy & pathetic. The only good thing about that school is it had a machine to encourage speed reading and since I was only allowed a limited about of time to read (because I loved reading and my uneducated parents didn't think it was important) this allowed me to finish books before they were taken away.

I don't think schools spend enough time on copy work/handwriting, but I'm pretty sure the Duggars only do because it's easier than teaching their kids.

• Love 7

If it's true Bin has a real job, I think Jessa will revert to the Duggar method of plunking the kids down in front of the computer and calling it a day. Unlike Jeremy and Derick, I don't think she has any ambition for her children to succeed outside the Duggar bubble. 

• Love 2

the motive for the handwriting assignment was clear in the post. it wasn't about the handwriting, that is busy work, since even Michelle's signature on property documents is printed and a heart over the i on many.

the wording was "I pray that God’s Word will sink deeply into their little hearts and will stay with them all the days of their lives!"

so the handwriting of selected verses is to reinforce the brainwashing

who would choose Revelation Chapter 11, as shown, for a handwriting lesson?

Edited by crazy8s
  • Useful 5
  • Love 7

Non Bible reader here.

Many non-Bible books with lessons in them have maybe one or two quote worthy sentences or phrases. The point of these books is the message. I'm thinking knowing the message would be more important than being able to recite a passage. IMO, mindlessly copying text isn't going to encourage "God's word to sink deeply into their hearts ...".

But again, I don't read the Bible.

Edited by GeeGolly
  • Love 3
11 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

Non Bible reader here.

Many non-Bible books with lessons in them have maybe one or two quote worthy sentences or phrases. The point of these books is the message. I'm thinking knowing the message would be more important than being able to recite a passage. IMO, Mindlessly copying text isn't going to encourage "God's word to sink deeply into their hearts ...".

But again, I'm don't read the Bible.

Oh, I think people of this ilk like copying because they want to discourage thinking, whether they know or could admit that's what they do. Be a parrot. Be a robot.

Because if you said, "Which lines here do you think are most important?" or "How would you put this in really relevant terms for your life today?" or -- heaven help us -- "What do you think about this passage?" -- questions, doubts and individual ideas can all too easily appear. Someone may think of VEERING OFF THE ONLY PATH THAT THERE IS!!!!  (even though very little of the bible points unmistakably to one particular path.....but they think it does....)

Plus, copying out stuff in longhand takes up a whole lot of "class" time so the "teacher" doesn't have to do a damn thing. So for these particular idiots, I expect the to-be-copied passage could be literally anything. Because except for some bits they've been drilled to parrot, it's all meaningless to them anyway.

It has nothing to do with providing any value for the student. Only value for the regime.

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 12

When I was working on the project that required me to research Charlotte Mason, I tried to add critical thinking questions to supplement the Bible copywork and was overruled. I pointed out that God gave us a brain and expected us to use it, which they didn't deny but it also didn't persuade them. So, yeah, for fundies, they don't want you to thinking too hard about it, even in an innocuous way. 

1 minute ago, Zella said:

So, yeah, for fundies, they don't want you to thinking too hard about it, even in an innocuous way. 

And then the Duggars were all "we don't eat pork," like they're trying to be Talmudic scholars.

The whole point of having a book like the Bible at the center of your religion is so you CAN analyze and debate and study it. Hence why Jews have historically had the highest literacy rates in the world and are so well-represented in professional fields like law -- because textual analysis and debate is a HUGE part of the religion and therefore the culture.

The Duggars' version of Christianity boggles my mind. They pick and choose the weirdest "teachings," things that have nothing to do with Jesus's teachings in the New Testament, with his emphasis on values like inclusion, love, generosity, NOT being tribalistic or judgemental..and yet the Duggars' beliefs are also a rejection of Judaism and its emphasis on community, justice, and deep study/thought/wisdom. To me, it's like "where are they even getting this stuff?!"

Like, let's mindlessly parrot King James Bible verses and eschew pork. What?

No offense meant at all to anybody else, I genuinely don't understand their belief system or really anything about their culture. To me it seems like they just are cult members following a charismatic leader...but this cult is so pervasive! Their cronies are everywhere! And they all don't even follow Bill Gothard per se. It's more like a whole network of cults...

This is exactly why I find the Duggars fascinating but I still don't think I'm getting it.

• Useful 3
  • Love 17
1 hour ago, rue721 said:

And then the Duggars were all "we don't eat pork," like they're trying to be Talmudic scholars.

The whole point of having a book like the Bible at the center of your religion is so you CAN analyze and debate and study it. Hence why Jews have historically had the highest literacy rates in the world and are so well-represented in professional fields like law -- because textual analysis and debate is a HUGE part of the religion and therefore the culture.

The Duggars' version of Christianity boggles my mind. They pick and choose the weirdest "teachings," things that have nothing to do with Jesus's teachings in the New Testament, with his emphasis on values like inclusion, love, generosity, NOT being tribalistic or judgemental..and yet the Duggars' beliefs are also a rejection of Judaism and its emphasis on community, justice, and deep study/thought/wisdom. To me, it's like "where are they even getting this stuff?!"

Like, let's mindlessly parrot King James Bible verses and eschew pork. What?

No offense meant at all to anybody else, I genuinely don't understand their belief system or really anything about their culture. To me it seems like they just are cult members following a charismatic leader...but this cult is so pervasive! Their cronies are everywhere! And they all don't even follow Bill Gothard per se. It's more like a whole network of cults...

This is exactly why I find the Duggars fascinating but I still don't think I'm getting it.

Pretty sure it's all about maintaining the mythical supremacy of a group of insecure and greedy straight white males so those particular straight white males can gain and hold in a death grip all the power that's within their reach. Luckily, they have a big fat book to base their stuff on so they can pick the helpful-to-them pieces out of it and know nobody can fact-check them completely.

Seems to me I can look at every little thing they preach and trace it all right back to this goal.

At first blush, stuff like "no pork"  seems a little off-the-mark. But really it's just a thing that got randomly chosen so they can claim that they're following God's ancient laws and are therefore highly devout and better than all y'all who don't follow that prohibition, and that they are in fact the true heirs to anybody God may have deemed his chosen people.

Religions that ally with an existing power structure and power elite have by far the best chance to survive and flourish. And power structures/elites have always found religions to be a powerful tool for achieving their own survival. Just ask the Emperor Constantine, among many many others.

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 12
On 10/1/2020 at 10:32 AM, Nysha said:

I was in a christian school using ACE workbooks in the 6th grade. Those were so easy & pathetic. The only good thing about that school is it had a machine to encourage speed reading and since I was only allowed a limited about of time to read (because I loved reading and my uneducated parents didn't think it was important) this allowed me to finish books before they were taken away.

I don't think schools spend enough time on copy work/handwriting, but I'm pretty sure the Duggars only do because it's easier than teaching their kids.

Sadly, the ACE workbooks were a good chunk of my schooling, too. 

We have some idea how the oldest 5 girls turned out. What about the last 4? Looking at this pic reminds me that Joy really was in the middle. She wasn't part of the book the oldest 4 wrote or part of the CD the youngest 4 made. As far as the younger crew compared to the older crew, I would say I Josie is most like Jessa, Johannah is most like Jill, Jenny like Jinger and Jordyn like Jana.

image.thumb.png.b964bc690e462e1f69ad1cf4e0d565af.png

• Love 3
11 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

As far as the younger crew compared to the older crew, I would say I Josie is most like Jessa, Johannah is most like Jill, Jenny like Jinger and Jordyn like Jana.

I don't feel like I've seen enough of them to be able to compare them to the older girls. Johannah was smart as a whip when she was younger, Jenny seems like she checked out when Jill left, Jordyn has an aversion to Michelle, and Josie's behavior is infantile. Hopefully the TLC gravy train will end before they become adults and they'll have a chance to become independent.

• Love 13
7 hours ago, emmawoodhouse said:

Independent? Not bloody likely. Even if TLC goes away (also not likely in the foreseeable future), Boob still has enough stashed away to keep the girls close. He's not going to let another outsider marry in to his empire. 

I think if they're the right kind of Christian and have the money to support the his daughter and the family,  JB will let them get married. 

Edited by Temperance
  • Love 3
53 minutes ago, Temperance said:

I think if they're the right kind of Christian and have the money to support the his daughter and the family,  JB will let them get married. 

Oh sure. I think a Bontrager boy would be acceptable to marry a Duggar girl.

• Love 1
37 minutes ago, QuinnInND said:

Didn't  know what other thread to put this in.

This reminds me of creepy Geoffrey Botkin from Vision Forum who advocated for stay at home daughters and whose adult daughters were still living at home and serving him into their 30's.  He used to run a seminar for fathers and daughters where the godly daughter was taught how to care for her father including serving as his barber and shaving him.  Very icky.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, doodlebug said:

This reminds me of creepy Geoffrey Botkin from Vision Forum who advocated for stay at home daughters and whose adult daughters were still living at home and serving him into their 30's.  He used to run a seminar for fathers and daughters where the godly daughter was taught how to care for her father including serving as his barber and shaving him.  Very icky.

Oh lord!  My first reaction to the video was "awww, how sweet."  It really made me think of my dad.

But then I read Doodlebug's post, and ugh.  Every time I find what I think is a commonality or similar sensibility with these folks, another (probably truer) perspective comes to the fore.  Then I remember I have nothing in common with them, and that they'd have nothing to do with me in real life, based on my demographics.  

• Love 5
3 hours ago, QuinnInND said:

Didn't  know what other thread to put this in.

Geoff Botkin video -- because, you know, all these guys are experts.

The cover art is, um, interesting.

image.png.df2a8ba2a437c1e3d8d163a39f2d50d0.png

Training Dominion-Oriented Daughters

Geoffrey Botkin (Actor), Nathaniel Darnell (Director)  Format: DVD

4.0 out of 5 stars    1 rating

DVD
from $5.98 

How do you teach a shy daughter to go outside of herself? What kind of toys should you give your girls? What examples of regal conduct should you put before them to emulate? Is it wise to foster romanticism or sentimentalism in your daughters? What sort of academic priorities should you set for your girls? What about hobbies?

In Training Dominion-Oriented Daughters, Christian worldview teacher Geoff Botkin shares how his wife Victoria and he have sought to answer these questions, offering a personal glimpse into their own daughter-training experiences. Geoff explains that, even amidst perilous times, daughters can be encouraged to look and smile at the future as they prepare for service in God s kingdom.

About the Actor

Geoff Botkin is a Christian leader and founding member of the Western Conservatory for the Arts. He has lectured on philosophy and history at Hillsdale College, on politics at the Heritage Foundation, on film at the San Antonio Independent Christian Film Festival, and on theology at worldview conferences in the U.S. and New Zealand. Geoff and his wife Victoria currently reside in San Antonio, Texas, along with their seven children -- Isaac, David, Anna Sophia, Elizabeth, Benjamin, Lucas, and Noah.

https://www.amazon.com/Training-Dominion-Oriented-Daughters-Geoffrey-Botkin/dp/B001BQJLJS

37 minutes ago, Churchhoney said:

DVD
from $5.98 

How do you teach a shy daughter to go outside of herself? What kind of toys should you give your girls? What examples of regal conduct should you put before them to emulate? Is it wise to foster romanticism or sentimentalism in your daughters? What sort of academic priorities should you set for your girls? What about hobbies?

In Training Dominion-Oriented Daughters, Christian worldview teacher Geoff Botkin shares how his wife Victoria and he have sought to answer these questions, offering a personal glimpse into their own daughter-training experiences. Geoff explains that, even amidst perilous times, daughters can be encouraged to look and smile at the future as they prepare for service in God s kingdom.

About the Actor

Geoff Botkin is a Christian leader and founding member of the Western Conservatory for the Arts. He has lectured on philosophy and history at Hillsdale College, on politics at the Heritage Foundation, on film at the San Antonio Independent Christian Film Festival, and on theology at worldview conferences in the U.S. and New Zealand. Geoff and his wife Victoria currently reside in San Antonio, Texas, along with their seven children -- Isaac, David, Anna Sophia, Elizabeth, Benjamin, Lucas, and Noah.

https://www.amazon.com/Training-Dominion-Oriented-Daughters-Geoffrey-Botkin/dp/B001BQJLJS

The phrase "daughter-training experiences" just raises my hackles and ire.  It makes his daughters sound like they are no better than dogs.  Why not use "daughter rearing"?  And he only has 2 daughters, why are they getting singled out?  Am I to assume that the 5 boys just run wild?

• Love 5
3 hours ago, doodlebug said:

This reminds me of creepy Geoffrey Botkin from Vision Forum who advocated for stay at home daughters and whose adult daughters were are still living at home and serving him into their 30's.  He used to run a seminar for fathers and daughters where the godly daughter was taught how to care for her father including serving as his barber and shaving him.  Very icky.

They're still there. 

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, Temperance said:

creepy Geoffrey Botkin from Vision Forum who advocated for stay at home daughters and whose adult daughters were are still living at home and serving him into their 30's.  He used to run a seminar for fathers and daughters where the godly daughter was taught how to care for her father

Is he the one who claimed that the reason men are tempted to cheat on their wives is because their DAUGHTERS don't pay enough attention to them? Some crap about how men crave the loving devotion of young girls and if they can't get it from their daughters, they'll be forced look elsewhere for it? Not sure where the wives fit into this equation; I guess once you hit middle age, your attention to your husband is irrelevant.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Albanyguy said:

Is he the one who claimed that the reason men are tempted to cheat on their wives is because their DAUGHTERS don't pay enough attention to them? Some crap about how men crave the loving devotion of young girls and if they can't get it from their daughters, they'll be forced look elsewhere for it? Not sure where the wives fit into this equation; I guess once you hit middle age, your attention to your husband is irrelevant.

Yeah, I seem to recall him saying stuff like that.  The father-daughter seminars included a lot of stuff like daughters fetching Daddy's slippers for him and removing his shoes and massaging his feet when he got home from a hard day of work.  It was disturbing to say the least.

His daughters, Elizabeth and Anna Sofia, both in their 30's, are actually quite pretty; some of the best looking fundies out there.  They used to have a blog but it seems like a couple of years since it was updated.  All of their brothers have been married off and have families; but the two girls have never even entered a courtship and remain at home, massaging Daddy's feet every night.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Churchhoney said:

DVD
from $5.98 

About the Actor

Wow, what a trip down memory lane. That video must be 10 years old, at least, from the Vision Forum days. Director Natty Darnell was one of Doug Philips' right hand interns. 

The Botkins also moved to TN at least five years ago. I do worry for Elizabeth and Anna Sofia. They're getting up there in fundie courting years. It's been very quiet in Botkinland these past few years.

• Love 2
23 minutes ago, emmawoodhouse said:

Wow, what a trip down memory lane. That video must be 10 years old, at least, from the Vision Forum days. Director Natty Darnell was one of Doug Philips' right hand interns. 

The Botkins also moved to TN at least five years ago. I do worry for Elizabeth and Anna Sofia. They're getting up there in fundie courting years. It's been very quiet in Botkinland these past few years.

Every couple years Anna Sofia and Elizabeth go into a flurry of blog posting -- and of course it's always pretty much about the same thing: "The role of the single daughter in the Christian world is big! huge! important! deeply satisfying!  etc. And we aren't obsessed with it at all! Because it couldn't be better! Really!"  

So depressing. And I have a hard time seeing it getting any better for them as they get older. 

Edited by Churchhoney

A family of a dozen plus, wearing disposable masks. What a friggin waste.

We have both disposable and cloth masks. We wear disposable ones when we know we'll be in an enclosed place for sometime, like a doctor's office. That way we toss them immediately before we even get back in our car. Otherwise we wear cloth masks and wash them.

They have a zillion family members and a few sewing machines. They are definitely anti-maskers.

• Useful 1
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, GeeGolly said:

A family of a dozen plus, wearing disposable masks. What a friggin waste.

We have both disposable and cloth masks. We wear disposable ones when we know we'll be in an enclosed place for sometime, like a doctor's office. That way we toss them immediately before we even get back in our car. Otherwise we wear cloth masks and wash them.

They have a zillion family members and a few sewing machines. They are definitely anti-maskers.

We do the same.  Apparently, Duggars lack a common sense gene.  And, why was Jenni not wearing hers?

This family needs its own landfill, just for all their garbage.  Shameful.

• Love 8
Just now, ozziemom said:

Do Jenny and Jordyn own any other outfits? They seem to always be wearing these dresses. And Hannie is mostly in a Tee shirt and denim skirt, with the obligatory leggings.

You'd think that this family was dirt-poor, by what the lost girls wear.  And we can't forget cheap-ass JB in his grey polyester suit that he wears to weddings, with the pants 2" too long.  

• Love 3
17 hours ago, awaken said:

Why would they bother wearing masks when they were just shown in big group gatherings without them?  What is Texas law, and are they breaking it by having large mask free events?  

Texas Mask Laws

I'd say they are breaking the law if they are having large mask free events.

ETA: They would have to be wearing their face masks inside the Bucee's, but those statues are generally outdoors so if no one else was nearby, they are probably OK. 

ETA2: Wondering if the stop in Texas is related to a Spivey visit? There are two locations near where the Spiveys would be - one in Denton and one in Fort Worth.

Edited by madpsych78
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, madpsych78 said:

Texas Mask Laws

I'd say they are breaking the law if they are having large mask free events.

ETA: They would have to be wearing their face masks inside the Bucee's, but those statues are generally outdoors so if no one else was nearby, they are probably OK. 

ETA2: Wondering if the stop in Texas is related to a Spivey visit? There are two locations near where the Spiveys would be - one in Denton and one in Fort Worth.

I believe they were just at a Big Sandy event (or something like that). The Spiveys, many Duggars and the Bates were all there.

• Useful 2
  • Love 3

What happened to all the masks they showed the TTH girls making with Jana supervising on the show?  The ones they delivered to the local family members? 

I'm sure it's just easier pulling a disposable mask out of a box than trying to track down a clean hand made one. (Or even a dirty one the way they are.)

• Love 7