Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggars and Their World: Fashion, Food, Finance, Schoolin’ and Child Rearin'

• Start Topic

Don't forget though, while the girls were sharing the communal closet, they were bragging as if they were the stylish gurus of "modern modest". 

I'm a low key trend follower, if and when I actually follow a trend, but I would never act as if I could offer any sound advice on fashion. I could tell you if an outfit complimented your figure, but not if you were on trend.

The Duggars are their own worst enemies. They need to stop acting like they have any advice to give. What ever they offer is either known by the masses or has been on Pinterest for 5 or more years.

And unbeknownst to the Duggar women, I would say better than 70% of the female population dress modestly. At least in my tiny circle of the world.

• Love 17

To be a little fair to the Duggar women, this modern modest business popped up right after they made the great leap forward from ankle length denim and polos to things that you could, in theory, buy in a mainline store. I mean, we all hate the mustard cardigan, but that open front drapey knit isn't completely out to lunch fashion-wise. 

I also have a pet theory that the Duggars ministry has always been less about recruiting we the modest pants-wearers and more about "encouraging" any "sweet friends" who are wavering. Your willful daughter is refusing to wear ankle-length denim from 1992? Well that's ok! She can wear knee-length denim and still be a proverbs whatever woman! 

• Love 10

The Duggars are their own version of an MLM.  They fit right in with the whole "Hey Hun" culture too.  They need a name though.  How about Duggs Fuggs?

ETA--I blame this post on the 'Rona. We're in day eleventy twelve of social distancing with no end in sight.  Good grief.

Edited by sixlets
I've lost my damn mind back in February.
  • LOL 10
  • Love 4

Not entirely sure what thread to put this in, but the NWA metro area had had its first covid-19 related deaths. (Before this, as far as I know, all other confirmed deaths were in other parts of the state.) There were 2 in springdale. 

• Useful 3
30 minutes ago, Zella said:

Not entirely sure what thread to put this in, but the NWA metro area had had its first covid-19 related deaths. (Before this, as far as I know, all other confirmed deaths were in other parts of the state.) There were 2 in springdale. 

Oh goodness.

And I believe AR is scheduled to reopen hair salons and places of worship the first week in May.

• Love 1
12 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

Oh goodness.

And I believe AR is scheduled to reopen hair salons and places of worship the first week in May.

Well, not scheduled. It has been announced as "a goal" but there will be no actual decisions made on that until next week. They are actually not even announcing decisions on salons or churches until early May, which is later than an announcement for restaurants and gyms. It's all also predicated on a 2 week downward trajectory of cases. And in phase 1 businesses that reopen would still have to be able to maintain social distancing. 

https://www.thv11.com/article/news/health/coronavirus/gov-hutchinson-hopes-to-ease-covid-19-restrictions-in-early-may/91-c30e620e-d926-46fb-86be-6cb36b81c1f6

Edited to add: I don't think hair salons have ever been considered part of a phase 1 reopening, probably because of the fact you can't social distance and cut hair:

https://katv.com/news/coronavirus/barbers-and-hair-salons-excluded-from-may-4-soft-reopening-of-arkansas-businesses

Edited by Zella
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4
On 4/23/2020 at 11:47 AM, Zella said:

I don't think hair salons have ever been considered part of a phase 1 reopening, probably because of the fact you can't social distance and cut hair

Someone would beg to differ 😂
(source)

umbrella-hair-30.jpg

• LOL 15

Anna's girls have worn dresses pretty much from birth. Lissy wears pants frequently. We've seen Ivy in a lot of pajamas and rompers that aren't dresses. I wonder if when Ivy is wearing street clothes all the time, she'll wear dresses only.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

Anna's girls have worn dresses pretty much from birth. Lissy wears pants frequently. We've seen Ivy in a lot of pajamas and rompers that aren't dresses. I wonder if when Ivy is wearing street clothes all the time, she'll wear dresses only.

Jessa doesn't seem to be doing dresses only herself anymore; we can only hope that Ivy is allowed to wear pants when she's playing rather than being encumbered with a dress and leggings 24/7.

• Love 12
2 hours ago, doodlebug said:

Jessa doesn't seem to be doing dresses only herself anymore; we can only hope that Ivy is allowed to wear pants when she's playing rather than being encumbered with a dress and leggings 24/7.

I could see the same thing with Gracie and even Bella. 

Whereas I think Addison will go down the same path as the M girls. 

And who knows with Baby Girl Forsyth.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, madpsych78 said:

I could see the same thing with Gracie and even Bella. 

Whereas I think Addison will go down the same path as the M girls. 

And who knows with Baby Girl Forsyth.

We've seen Bella wear jeans. 

• Love 1
14 minutes ago, Temperance said:

We've seen Bella wear jeans. 

That's my point. Abbie has worn pants, so I can see Gracie wearing pants. Bella has been allowed to wear jeans (and, IIRC, that was selected by Josiah).

I think the main hard-core dress proponents will be Kendra and Anna and so their daughters will be strictly dresses and skirts. 

Joy's a wild card and I think it will depend on what Austin says. 

• Love 3
3 hours ago, madpsych78 said:

I think the main hard-core dress proponents will be Kendra and Anna and so their daughters will be strictly dresses and skirts. 

Anna will never give an inch on any of their insane rules. She's a True Believer who finds security in a rigid set of do's and don'ts to follow. More importantly, she is hell-bent on presenting herself to the world as the perfect Fundie wife and mother to prove that her marriage is a success and that she was right to stand by her monstrous husband. 

5 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

First the article should come with a trigger warning before Josh's pic assaults you.

Second, I feel bad for the Duggar girls. No one should be able to tell a story of sexual assault without the permission of the assaulted.

• Love 7
4 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

Second, I feel bad for the Duggar girls. No one should be able to tell a story of sexual assault without the permission of the assaulted.

I agree. Personally I don't think the police report should've ever been released. I don't think anything involving minors should be made public like that, redacted or not. 

• Love 6
44 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

First the article should come with a trigger warning before Josh's pic assaults you.

Josh is such a wanker.

And yes, the story should have been theirs to tell. I don't feel at all bad for Josh--he should have been outed--but re-victimizing the girls was terrible collateral damage.

• Love 2
(edited)
32 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

Has the FOIA been changed to reflect the outing of minors? Because Joy was still a minor (I think) when In Touch released the report. 

She was.  I don't think the FOIA has changed at all.  As I recall, the police report that got redacted so poorly would've normally gone over to the juvenile court where it would've been inaccessible.  But, because the statute of limitations had run before JB and M reported Josh' molestation of his sisters; there was nothing that could be prosecuted and the report just sat at the police station or somewhere in a dead case file until In Touch asked for it.  Also, had JB and M, as Joy's parents, requested the report be destroyed at anytime during the years between the report being made and In Touch requesting it, it also would not have been there to be found.  But, JB and M were apparently too busy protecting Josh and raking in money from the TV show to ask.  I would think most parents in their situation would've tried to make sure that their children were protected from publicity, especially since they didn't do much to protect them from their brother.

Looking at the article, it doesn't look like the civil suit made any claims about violating the privacy of a minor specifically, since all 4 of the girls were plaintiffs.  And, it looks like the court wasn't asked to rule on anything involving that, either.  They simply said that the 3 employees named in the suit couldn't be sued for damages, that they had qualified immunity.

It doesn't look to me like the ruling had anything to do with the rightness or wrongness of the Duggar daughters' claims; it was only an opinion that the defendants in the suit could not be made to pay damages to them.  Since attorneys in civil suits usually only get paid if money is won, I expect this is the end of it.  No attorney is going to spend the hundreds of hours to pursue the case in court if there's no money to be won.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Useful 3
  • Love 5
29 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

Has the FOIA been changed to reflect the outing of minors? Because Joy was still a minor (I think) when In Touch released the report. 

I think there was talk about it but I can't remember if anything came out of it. 

FOIA laws need reform everywhere. Everyone involved in this was in a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation due to way the laws were written. InTouch knew what they were doing when they requested the records. That seems to be about it. 

I wonder how much the lawsuit ended up costing JB overall. I remember they hired one of the bigwig firms that represents Disney.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
16 minutes ago, PikaScrewChu said:

I think there was talk about it but I can't remember if anything came out of it. 

FOIA laws need reform everywhere. Everyone involved in this was in a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation due to way the laws were written. InTouch knew what they were doing when they requested the records. That seems to be about it. 

I wonder how much the lawsuit ended up costing JB overall. I remember they hired one of the bigwig firms that represents Disney.

Many civil suits are filed on contingency if the lawyers think the case is decent.  It could be that JB didn't have to spend a dime on it.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
(edited)
2 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

A Walmart in Fayetteville, AR is piloting the store as a self-check-out only. @Zella, would this be the Walmart the Duggars shop at?

My guess is the Duggars either shop at that one or the one in Springdale. It's about the same distance either way. I've never been to the Springdale one, but this one in north Fayetteville that's doing the self-checkout only is in the middle of a large shopping center, so it would be a convenient location if they were doing any shopping in general. 

There's a second Wal-Mart in south Fayetteville that I shopped at more regularly when I lived there because it was closer to where I lived, though it's a lot grungier. Fayetteville itself is a rather nice college town, and that WM just seems so out of place. (But it is west of the interstate and south of MLK Blvd., which is local code for "nasty part of town." Since Jessa lives fairly close to where I was, I wonder which store she goes to.

The one in south Fayetteville is sort of infamous for being where a local author, um, committed suicide by slitting his own throat when he was caught shoplifting. His book was about the marijuana-growing business he ran with Ralph Baker, the sheriff of Madison County back in the 80s and 90s. Madison County is where Austin is from, btw. 

https://www.4029tv.com/article/local-author-commits-suicide-in-wal-mart/4933124

Anyway, any time I was there, all I could think was, "God, I hope nobody decides to stab themselves in here today." 

Edited by Zella
37 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

She was.  I don't think the FOIA has changed at all.  As I recall, the police report that got redacted so poorly would've normally gone over to the juvenile court where it would've been inaccessible.  But, because the statute of limitations had run before JB and M reported Josh' molestation of his sisters; there was nothing that could be prosecuted and the report just sat at the police station or somewhere in a dead case file until In Touch asked for it.  Also, had JB and M, as Joy's parents, requested the report be destroyed at anytime during the years between the report being made and In Touch requesting it, it also would not have been there to be found.  But, JB and M were apparently too busy protecting Josh and raking in money from the TV show to ask.  I would think most parents in their situation would've tried to make sure that their children were protected from publicity, especially since they didn't do much to protect them from their brother.

Looking at the article, it doesn't look like the civil suit made any claims about violating the privacy of a minor specifically, since all 4 of the girls were plaintiffs.  And, it looks like the court wasn't asked to rule on anything involving that, either.  They simply said that the 3 employees named in the suit couldn't be sued for damages, that they had qualified immunity.

It doesn't look to me like the ruling had anything to do with the rightness or wrongness of the Duggar daughters' claims; it was only an opinion that the defendants in the suit could not be made to pay damages to them.  Since attorneys in civil suits usually only get paid if money is won, I expect this is the end of it.  No attorney is going to spend the hundreds of hours to pursue the case in court if there's no money to be won.

That's right. They didn't bother to get the records destroyed until about a month before Joy's 18th birthday.  

I feel for the victims, but Boobchelle did them no favors in their frenzy to protect Smuggar. 

• Love 21
5 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

How would anyone know to request records be destroyed?

Had Boobchelle dealt with real professionals when this all went down, I imagine that they would have known. That's why I am dubious that the girls got real counseling. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 14
14 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

How would anyone know to request records be destroyed?

Hire a real lawyer!  Or talk to a trained social worker!  

Or ... stop protecting the abuser and seek help for the victims. 

Considering the timing, the victims should be more angry at TLC!  Than barely trained county employees who responded by the book. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 11
8 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

Had Boobchelle dealt with real professionals when this all went down, I imagine that they would have known. That's why I am dubious that the girls got real counseling. 

8 hours ago, fonfereksglen said:

Hire a real lawyer!  Or talk to a trained social worker!  

Or ... stop protecting the abuser and seek help for the victims. 

Considering the timing, the victims should be more angry at TLC!  Than barely trained county employees who responded by the book. 

Cops are real professionals. I'm a "real" therapist, I have a Master's degree in social work and I'm individually licensed. For over 10 years I have worked with folks with varying degrees of involvement with cops, POs, courts (federal, state, juvenile, housing), DCF, jails, etc. My co-workers, colleagues and I do not advise clients on police report retention.

• Useful 2
  • Love 5

I wonder what Josh “confessed” to in front of the church congregation. I assume it was pretty generic, along the lines of his infamous “Satan built a fortress in my heart” message, which didn’t really say what he did (we only knew the basic details of that because it was reported in the media). I find it hard to believe that he truly confessed to what he had done, or that Anna knew the whole truth about it before they were married. 

• Love 10
(edited)
1 hour ago, MargeGunderson said:

I wonder what Josh “confessed” to in front of the church congregation. I assume it was pretty generic, along the lines of his infamous “Satan built a fortress in my heart” message, which didn’t really say what he did (we only knew the basic details of that because it was reported in the media). I find it hard to believe that he truly confessed to what he had done, or that Anna knew the whole truth about it before they were married. 

The media found out about the police report because a gay couple told them about it after Michelle started campaigning against transgender people using the restroom corresponding to their gender identity.  As I recall, the woman who spilled the beans was quite specific with them and knew that Josh had molested his sisters.  If a random gay woman in their town knew exactly what Josh had done, I doubt that anything was glossed over for the congregation.

Recall these people are Gothard followers and the first question to ask a child who has been molested is what is it that they did that caused the molester to attack them.  The sin is as much on the victim as the violator.   We've seen posts where similar young men claimed they molested their sisters because they saw them naked in the tub or getting their diapers changed as babies.  JB and M undoubtedly sought to cast Josh as the victim of Satan and his sisters in this situation.

I do agree that Anna probably didn't know the specifics, but, even if she had, she's a Gothardite, too, and would've felt that Josh had been tempted into it and it was not all his fault.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Useful 1
  • Love 6
8 minutes ago, DangerousMinds said:

We have a mask mandate here in my county and others but the police in some areas have said not to call them to report mask violations. So enforcement  is an issue.  Some people have gotten very hostile.

They're reporting it will be a misdemeanor and a $100-500 fine, though I am curious about enforcement too. 

• Love 2
(edited)
16 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

What sport, besides swimming/diving would be inhibited by a mask?

Well, I can see people arguing that a mask is inhibitory to any sport that requires significant exertion. Don't know if this would allow for such an exception.....

But....in my area people are really good about wearing masks. Nevertheless, at the times when I've walked any distance in a place where I've seen a bunch of other people walking-quickly-for-exercise, running or biking, I've noticed that about half the people doing those things have their masks just hanging around their necks or covering their mouths but not their noses (while social distancing....haven't seen anybody breaking both rules...).

It's the only real mask non-compliance I've seen in my neighborhood in all these months, so I assume these people would argue that they can't breathe adequately for their "sport" when they wear a mask correctly....So maybe this is it? 

Otherwise, I got nothin'.     Competitive bubble-gum blowing? Watermelon-seed-spitting? Hot-dog-eating contest? Competitive French kissing? 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • LOL 10
3 hours ago, Churchhoney said:

Well, I can see people arguing that a mask is inhibitory to any sport that requires significant exertion. Don't know if this would allow for such an exception.....

But....in my area people are really good about wearing masks. Nevertheless, at the times when I've walked any distance in a place where I've seen a bunch of other people walking-quickly-for-exercise, running or biking, I've noticed that about half the people doing those things have their masks just hanging around their necks or covering their mouths but not their noses (while social distancing....haven't seen anybody breaking both rules...).

It's the only real mask non-compliance I've seen in my neighborhood in all these months, so I assume these people would argue that they can't breathe adequately for their "sport" when they wear a mask correctly....So maybe this is it? 

Otherwise, I got nothin'.     Competitive bubble-gum blowing? Watermelon-seed-spitting? Hot-dog-eating contest? Competitive French kissing? 

If they're outside, I'm not the rules about masks apply. I forget what our rules are for the outdoors. Indoor venues can require masks and some states make everyone wear masks indoor.  I could see big cities requiring people to wear mask outdoors. In rural outdoor places, social distancing is required and many people wear masks, but I'm not sure masks are required outdoors. Depending on the state, they are required at any kind of social gathering indoors and out.  Most people don't wear masks outside here while just going for a walk, run, biking, etc.   Biking, in particular, seems effective as social distancing. I'm not sure breaking any rules.

The friends of the Duggars don't seem to wear masks with any real consistency even indoors. I hope if the Duggars don't wear masks at stores, some takes a picture of it and puts it on the net. 

• Love 4
On 7/17/2020 at 1:53 PM, Temperance said:

If they're outside, I'm not the rules about masks apply. I forget what our rules are for the outdoors. Indoor venues can require masks and some states make everyone wear masks indoor.  I could see big cities requiring people to wear mask outdoors. In rural outdoor places, social distancing is required and many people wear masks, but I'm not sure masks are required outdoors. Depending on the state, they are required at any kind of social gathering indoors and out.  Most people don't wear masks outside here while just going for a walk, run, biking, etc.   Biking, in particular, seems effective as social distancing. I'm not sure breaking any rules.

The friends of the Duggars don't seem to wear masks with any real consistency even indoors. I hope if the Duggars don't wear masks at stores, some takes a picture of it and puts it on the net. 

I'm in NJ, where we're very strict about masks, and even here the language is something like "outside where social distancing is not possible". So most people I know interpret that as "If I'm going for a run or bike ride at 7am and no one is near me, I'm good-if I'm going to walk or run midday in a crowded park, grab a mask". I get not wanting to wear a mask if you're running alone, and in theory if no one is near you there's plenty of ways to give someone who does walk by a large berth to avoid crossing paths. 

Somehow, I think the Duggars and their friends are the types to wear the mask to get into the store and then immediately yank them down past their chin because "they do things differently". 

• Love 14

I think it's pretty impressive, although like everything else Duggar, I have a hard time believing Jason did this all by himself. I hope they put a sealer on it so the bugs don't destroy it.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, BigBingerBro said:

f3yb4pnjlld51.jpg

If Jinger is the girl in the matching print farthest to the left, then she has changed a lot. The other three girls girls in the matching print look enough like their adult selves I can tell who they are. 

• Love 1

50 minutes ago, Temperance said:

If Jinger is the girl in the matching print farthest to the left, then she has changed a lot. The other three girls girls in the matching print look enough like their adult selves I can tell who they are. 

Jinger is the one between Jill and whichever boy that is. If the baby on the left isn't Joy, it's a random non-Duggar, since Joy would the only girl that age at the time.

So, Jennifer & Johanna still share a bed?!? 4 girls have married and moved out since they were all stuffed in that room. Why don't they have their own beds? 

• Love 3
18 minutes ago, Nysha said:

So, Jennifer & Johanna still share a bed?!? 4 girls have married and moved out since they were all stuffed in that room. Why don't they have their own beds? 

Good question. I thought they had three twins and three queens in the original room. There's Jana, Laura, Johannah, Jennifer, Jordyn and Josie left. Maybe those twin beds at Jed/Jer's place are two of their beds.

41 minutes ago, Nysha said:

Is it possible they want to?  Remember, I hate the Duggars and all their beliefs, but, sometimes kids like status quo

• Love 3