Type keyword(s) to search

Black-ish in the Media-ish

• Start Topic

Beau Bridges & Anna Deavere Smith have been cast as Bow's parents. I definitely never would have thought of either of them for comedy roles. I don't think I've ever seen either of them do comedy before.

Beau Bridges & Anna Deavere Smith have been cast as Bow's parents. I definitely never would have thought of either of them for comedy roles. I don't think I've ever seen either of them do comedy before.

That's an interesting combination, and one that I can actually buy. Beau Bridges was on the last season of Brothers and Sisters, and had some definite comedic chops on that dramedy. And I worship Anna Deavere Smith. Do you have a link to the casting news, @Tiger?

• Love 1

Nurse Jackie fans have seen Anna Deavere as a humorous character. She's a no-nonsense authority figure who will do or say surprisingly things. Also, she's sometimes a bit of a doofus, something her subordinates don't know, but the viewer does. Nurse Jackie is walking down the hallway of the hospital with a dog on a leash, "That better not be a dog," says AD's character flatly as she walks past Jackie. "It's not," Jackie responds in the same tone. Neither breaks her stride. AD's character was being hounded by people above her to get Jackie's urine sample, which Jackie was dodging (she has a substance abuse problem). When Jackie finally gives it up, AD is walking down the hallway with it to give it to the appropriate people and suddenly dumps the sample in a trash bin. "Fuck 'em" she grumbles.

Wasn't Beau Bridges someone's father on My Name is Earl?

Anna Deavere Smith was also in The American President, which was a romantic comedy.  FWIW, Andre Braugher wasn't known for comedy before being cast in Brooklyn Nine Nine, but his portrayal of "humorless" Captain Ray Holts elicits as many laughs as anyone else in that series.

Andre had his moments on Men of a Certain Age, too. It's a good thing people who select actors for parts have more imagination than so many viewers do, or we'd only have certain actors doing drama and certain actors doing comedy. Imagine George Clooney and Tom Hanks still doing TV comedies. Or Airplane! without Leslie Nielsen, Peter Graves, or Lloyd Bridges.

• Love 1

TER and the girls are in the issue of Essence with Shonda Rhimes, Issa Rae, Debbie Allen, Mara Brock-Akil and Ava DuVernay on the cover.  They are featured in spot on how they take care of their natural hair on the show. Marsai's (Diane) hair is pressed; not relaxed.  Yara's hair is straight, at least that the impression I got, so they twist it to get the curls.

Last weekend my husband went to an African-American film festival in New York, and Jennifer Lewis was being honored with a lifetime achievement award. Tracee Ellis Ross and Kenya Barris were also there. TER introduced Lewis, and my husband keeps going on and on about how funny she is. I know that already from her great comedy on 'Black-ish', but he only knows her from "Girlfriends." He also talked about how funny, smart, and inspiring Jennifer Lewis's speech was.

• Love 2

Is his name Cory? I mean, your screen name being Topanga means you can only be with a Cory. (No need to actually give me your husband's real name, lol)

Ha! Good one. His name is actually very similar to Cory

We used to joke around that if we had a daughter, we'd name her Topanga. Or Serena. Or Venus. But we had boys, which I'm sure makes our fictitious daughter happy. Although I still like the name Serena...

• Love 1

Congrats to Anthony Anderson for his Emmy nomination, but Tracy Ellis Ross deserved one, too. She is a vital part of the show.

Indeed.  Happy surprise about Anthony but Tracy was ROBBED. 

• Love 7

Black-ish got an order for 2 more episodes this season, bringing it to 24 (along with Fresh Off The Boat and The Goldbergs.) I tell you, ABC has finally figured out what their niche is (quirky family comedies) and I am enjoying them. 

• Love 2

The kids were on Jimmy Kimmel's show. I've never watched his show in my life, but I DVR'd it for them. Typical kids. You can tell Yara's kind of like the big sister to them all. She was excited to meet Angela Basset. Miles is like so many little boys his age and takes a while to get to the point of his story. Marcus sat really close to Leonardo DiCaprio one time and Marsai is a huge Beyonce fan.

• Love 2

Damn, I missed it.

ETA: I caught it online. The kids are great--their personalities are actually quite similar to the characters they portray, except for Yara Shahidi, who's funnier and more grounded than shallow Zoey. But Marsai is actually quick-witted and sarcastic like Diane, Miles is funny and sweet and is definitely the baby of the bunch, and Marcus, though hipper than Junior, is still a little nerdy--which is great. I love that about him.

What's surprising is that Marcus and Yara (age 15) are only 4 and 5 years older than Marsai (11) and Miles (10). I know 4-5 years is big in sibling years, but are the twins supposed to be in 5th or 6th grade? I thought the show made them much younger than that. 

Wait Tracee is Diana Ross's daughter? Seriously? I had no idea. I've read articles on this show and not one mentioned that connection.

It's pretty well-known. Though Tracee, unlike some siblings (*cough* Evan Ross *cough*) is actually talented enough and driven enough to have a successful career completely independent of her mother's superstardom.

• Love 1

Well the Golden Globes and Emmys may be ignoring the show (although I will acknowledge that the Emmys did nominate Anthony) but the Critics certainly have a lot of love for it. Nominations for the Critics' Choice Awards announced today http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/2016-critics-choice-awards-nominees-848351.

For those who don't want to click, Anthony,  Tracee and the show all received nods. 

Edited by truthaboutluv

The CCA nominations:

BEST COMEDY SERIES

black-ish

BEST ACTOR IN A COMEDY SERIES

Anthony Anderson – black-ish

BEST ACTRESS IN A COMEDY SERIES

Tracee Ellis Ross — black-ish

BEST GUEST ACTOR/ACTRESS IN A COMEDY SERIES

Jenifer Lewis – black-ish

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 1

I wasn't sure if Deon Cole, who plays Charlie, was gone for good or not. He addressed it a tiny bit in this AV Club interview. 

The A.V. Club: Is there a question that you’re sick of answering?

DC: Why did I leave Black-ish?

AVC: And there’s a good answer for that—because of Angie Tribeca?

DC: Well the answer is 1) I didn’t leave Black-ish. 2) I had Tribeca before Black-ish, so it’s just me going back to what I was contracted to do.

AVC: And there’s certainly the opportunity for Charlie to come back on Black-ish, right?

DC: People will have to keep watching. [Laughs.] There’s going to be some surprises going on—we’ll see what happens.

Hopefully he'll show up again!

• Love 4

Haven't read all of it yet, but the New Yorker has a nice piece on the show and Kenya Barris.

With a joke velocity approaching that of “30 Rock,” the show, brassy and shrewd, stands out for its rare directness about race and class. As Barris likes to put it, whereas “The Cosby Show” was about a family that happened to be black, “black-ish” is about a black family.

• Love 3

Brandy just posted the most hilarious video of she, Roz Ryan and Jenifer Lewis singing a little ditty called, "I don't want nobody fuckin wit me in these streets." 

• Love 2