Type keyword(s) to search

Black-ish in the Media-ish

• Start Topic

Ratings: https://twitter.com/tvmojoe

BLACKISH debuts with a strong 3.3 A18-49, retaining a stellar 90% of its MODERN FAMILY (3.7) lead-in.

BLACKISH was most impressive in overall viewership: It debuted with 10.8M viewers, holding nearly all the MODERN FAMILY audience (10.9M)

Older female viewers key to BLACKISH boffo debut: It matched MODERN FAMILY's women 25-54 score-- both did a 5.5, at least in prelims

Two things:

1. Tracee was interviewed last Friday by The Breakfast Club. You can watch and listen at the following link: http://www.power1051fm.com/media/play/tracee-ellis-ross-interview-with-the-25347797/

2. Jenifer Lewis has been cast as Anthony Anderson's mom in the show: http://tvline.com/2014/09/30/black-ish-cast-jenifer-lewis-anthony-anderson-mother/

With the Jenifer Lewis cast, it's come full circle in that she played Toni's mother on Girlfriends. Well, there are more degrees of separation here because Black-ish was created by Kenya Barris who was a writer on The Game, which was a spin-off of Girlfriends.

Art Imitates Life: I'm listening to a June 2012 podcast interview with Creator Kenya Barris. So many anecdotes from his real life have made it onto the show: He had the spanking debate with co-workers; he talked about an incident where his daughter was describing the only other black girl in her class and didn't think to call her black; his wife is a doctor; he worries about his children not understanding "the struggle," and he has a white friend (Pete Holmes, the interviewer) who used to comment that Kenya knew every famous black person, which Kenya adamantly denied. They were working on a network show together, and when they would walk around the studio lot, Kenya would know every black person--famous and non-famous.  And during the interview, Pete Holmes kept mentioning all of the famous black people that Kenya knows. And like Dre, Kenya would downplay it.

It's a pretty good interview. Here's the link: http://www.nerdist.com/pepisode/you-made-it-weird-54-kenya-barris/

I haven't finished it yet, so I don't know if he'd already started creating "black-ish."

• Love 2

It's a pretty good interview. Here's the link: http://www.nerdist.com/pepisode/you-made-it-weird-54-kenya-barris/

I haven't finished it yet, so I don't know if he'd already started creating "black-ish."

This podcast is 2 hours and 20 minutes long, I'm at 1h41 -- LISTEN TO THIS FUCKING PODCAST!!!  This guy is FUCKING AMAZEBALLS!!

(You will get to 1:41 and you'll be like, "oh, shit, I get why she posted that")

Edited by dusang

So I've finished the podcast interview with Kenya Barris and it seems that a lot of the things we've seen thus far in the show come from his life. His wife is biracial, and she comes from a black mom-white dad pairing. He shared, though, that his wife, Rainbow, was born to hippy parents, and that her dad is gay. However, it's not like her dad came out after years of marriage to her mom. No; he was gay and out when he and her mom decided to try to have a kid. It makes me wonder if they'll have TER's Rainbow have the same backstory.

Where Kenya and Dre diverge is that Kenya didn't have a close relationship (or one at all) with his own father. His parents divorced when Kenya was about seven years old, and his mom ended up getting half of a multimillion dollar settlement that his dad received from being severely injured on the job.

He also said that his mom shot his dad. His father was abusive (like, broke the mom's jaw when she was pregnant with Kenya and they weren't sure Kenya would even make it because she had to go on a liquid diet for four months of her pregnancy) and tried to come back in their lives when Kenya was 10 or 12. He broke into their place and she nearly unloaded a clip in him, with only one bullet hitting him.

Edited by Mozelle

Damn, that's some deep stuff.  And whoa at the real Rainbow's mother and father having a child while he was gay! Then again, it makes sense - I assume we're talking early 70s, and it's not like he could have adopted a child on his own (and I'm hoping that Kenya's wife is okay with/gave consent for him telling HER family history - I have a thing about that).

• Love 2

I listened to the 1:40 part and wow. I am amazed that Kenya was able to live through that and be able to tell that story today, with humor no less. I need to listen to the entire podcast.

Seriously!  It's just so... not the Johnsons?  I don't even know.  Even if you juxtapose just a few of his life events -- starts in a poor, abusive home, launched to sudden wealth and a broken home where his mother shot his father in front of him, gets married at 22 and has five (four?) kids.... what?!?

The cast did a lovely SAG Foundation conversation last week. Laurence Fishburne was absent. They all really seemed to gel well as a family even off screen.

There is an especially great moment from Marsai Martin (Diane) around the 35 minute mark.

Edited by pookat
  • Love 2

This article is so sweet. I love the way Kenya has described each one of the children's characters, how they reflect his own kids, and the young actors who play them.

I think they struck gold with their pint-sized ensemble.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/12/09/blackish-kids-kenya-barris/?hootPostID=66701d2ab5a11101aa159cde8d84b91f

Of Diane: “We kind of feel like we’ve developed a small sociopath genius—she has this part of her that you’re a little scared of. Like, "This person grows up to be president, or Hannibal Lecter.”"

Yes! This is exactly my read on little Diane. I love it!

• Love 2

The show just received a bunch of NAACP Image award nominations.

Comedy Series

“black-ish” (ABC)

Actor in a Comedy Series
Anthony Anderson – “‘black-ish” (ABC)

Actress in a Comedy Series
Tracee Ellis Ross – “black-ish” (ABC)

Supporting Actor in a Comedy Series
Laurence Fishburne – “black-ish” (ABC)
Marcus Scribner – “black-ish” (ABC)

Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series
Yara Shahidi – “black-ish” (ABC)

Honestly, I'm cool with all of the nominations but Yara's. I really don't see much there with her, but I suppose it would have been a bigger snub to nominate the actress who plays Diane over the actress who plays Zoey.

Edited by Mozelle
  • Love 3

According to ABCMediaNet.com, black-ish will be additional repeats at 1000 and 1030 the next two weeks.

ABC hasn't officially announced what will air at 10 in Jan since Nashville doesn't come back until Feb, but allegedly black-ish and The Goldbergs will alternate airing repeats.

• Love 1

The cast did a lovely SAG Foundation conversation last week. Laurence Fishburne was absent. They all really seemed to gel well as a family even off screen.

There is an especially great moment from Marsai Martin (Diane) around the 35 minute mark.

Thank you so much for posting this.  It was awesome.  While I was watching, I remembered your post about Marsai but couldn't remember when it happened.  once it happened, I responded the exact same way as the rest of the cast and remembered that was what you were referring to.  That young lady is incredible.  The whole cast is great.

• Love 1

I don't know if this has been mentioned here, but on another thread there was some discussion about whether Rainbow is a surgeon. In the Dec 12 issue of Entertainment Weekly, Tracee Ellis Ross (Rainbow) wrote a short blurb "I Saw My Hair On TV". (page 18) In it, she states she is an anesthesiologist.

This is an interesting issue: Black-ish is starting to suffer because of Empire and possibly overlapping audiences and Deadline suggests it should switch slots with The Goldbergs.  

http://deadline.com/2015/01/goldbergs-blackish-swap-empire-abc-1201353452/

As someone who watches Black-ish, Empire, and The Goldberg's ... ehh ....

They are whispers that next season ABC is going to move The Middle to Tuesdays to be paired with Fresh Off the Boat or something new and that Goldbergs and Black-ish will be paired Wed at 8.  

Something else to consider if that Empire is only 12 episodes and will be done by the end of Mar.  Black-ish has only aired 12 of its 24 episodes, and isn't new again until Feb 11th.  

TER has an interview in the New York Times Magazine: Tracee Ellis Ross: ‘That Hurt Like the Bejesus’. Here are a couple bits from it:

Growing up, I think my only touchstone for natural hair was Tia and Tamera on “Sister, Sister.” You’re obviously much younger than me. For me, it was my mom, first and foremost. She is always saying to me, “The bigger the better.”

I read that you were obsessed with Lucille Ball growing up. I didn’t have a lot of examples of silly women around me. Lucy made me feel not crazy, not too much, not too big. She taught me that I could be both glamorous and elegant and sophisticated and beautiful — and still really stupid, silly and funny.

• Love 2

TER has an interview in the New York Times Magazine: Tracee Ellis Ross: ‘That Hurt Like the Bejesus’. Here are a couple bits from it:

Growing up, I think my only touchstone for natural hair was Tia and Tamera on “Sister, Sister.” You’re obviously much younger than me. For me, it was my mom, first and foremost. She is always saying to me, “The bigger the better.”

I read that you were obsessed with Lucille Ball growing up. I didn’t have a lot of examples of silly women around me. Lucy made me feel not crazy, not too much, not too big. She taught me that I could be both glamorous and elegant and sophisticated and beautiful — and still really stupid, silly and funny.

While I enjoyed Girlfriends, this show allows Tracee's comedic chops to really shine.  Joan was more tightly wound than funny to me, and Rainbow, while having some neuroses, is more relaxed.  I really like what she said about silly women - I think, culturally, black women in general aren't allowed to be silly, as if it's somehow mutually exclusive from being a responsible, independent woman who handles her business.  Funny, yes, but based on what I read/see in social media, a lot of "comedy" targeted towards/appreciated by blacks involves cutting others down (i.e. "reading" and "throwing shade").  Not to say that can't be funny, but Tracee is more self-deprecating, and I like that.        

Edited by ribboninthesky1
  • Love 1

While I enjoyed Girlfriends, this show allows Tracee's comedic chops to really shine.  Joan was more tightly wound than funny to me, and Rainbow, while having some neuroses, is more relaxed.  I really like what she said about silly women - I think, culturally, black women in general aren't allowed to be silly, as if it's somehow mutually exclusive from being a responsible, independent woman who handles her business.  Funny, yes, but based on what I read/see in social media, a lot of "comedy" targeted towards/appreciated by blacks involves cutting others down (i.e. "reading" and "throwing shade").  Not to say that can't be funny, but Tracee is more self-deprecating, and I like that.        

I agree with you that Joan was more tightly wound, but I think that TER had some moments on Girlfriends where she just went for it. I found this clip from Girlfriends on YouTube, and I'm sharing it partly because it also recalls last week's episode where Junior played both Romeo and Juliet.

• Love 1

You can count the First Family as fans of the show.

And soon we’ll be getting Obama jokes on the new ABC sitcom “Black-ish.” Anthony Anderson, the star of the show, revealed the news to us on Saturday on the red carpet at the B.E.T. Honors in Washington.

“I was at the White House about a month ago and met the president and first lady, and the first thing out of their mouths was, ‘We love “Black-ish.” ’ So that came as a shock,” Mr. Anderson said.

“It’s Sasha and the first lady’s favorite show. Those are her words,” he said. “So we’re writing little jokes about the first family in our show because of that. They enjoy it, and we enjoy them watching it.”
Edited by xaxat
  • Love 1

This is a good profile of the actress who plays Zoey (who I didn't at all recognize/remember as the young Olivia Pope!); it's the "hometown kid" angle from Minneapolis.

She seems like a crazy smart and good kid.

I agree--seems like a great kid. And unlike most child actors, she's playing older. Because Zoe is older than 14, correct?

And was she the young Olivia Pope who was at home watching tv/doing homework while her mom "died" in the plane crash? If so, I didn't recognize her with the glasses.

That'll be a neat trick, as Raven Symone was referenced by name in the most recent episode, so the actress exists in this reality. (OTOH, 30 Rock did the same thing with Wayne Brady, and we all survived. :) )