Type keyword(s) to search

Black-ish in the Media-ish

• Start Topic

Damn, Dre does not look comfortable on that bike. Tracy will be happy not to have to wear the padding.

I really did not think adding the baby was not necessary...I like the way the kids are maturing into their roles.

Edited by qtpye

ABC's 'black-ish' gets its 'Hamilton' groove on in season premiere that celebrates Juneteenth

Kenya Barris, the creator of “black-ish,” said the episode was largely influenced by his affection for the blockbuster hip-hop musical “Hamilton.”

“I’ve seen ‘Hamilton’ a ton of times,” Barris said in an interview. “The thing that got me about it is the idea of a historically contextual piece that speaks to what an American story is. That’s what ‘black-ish’ is. It’s a contemporary piece that speaks to the texture of what America is.”

In the episode, the Johnson family attend a school play featuring their young twins Jack and Diane (Miles Brown and Marsai Martin) that celebrates Columbus Day. Dre (Anthony Anderson) is dismayed over the inaccuracies regarding the historical context of the holiday.

Feeling there are not enough black holidays, Dre enlists singer Aloe Blacc (guest starring as himself) at his job as an ad executive to help him create a catchy song to raise awareness for a holiday worth celebrating: Juneteenth.

Edited by Dee
  • Love 1

Much like with many shows that try to give people "chances" or see a specific person in the role it can backfire on them. When I saw Brown I tried to give the episode the benefit of the doubt, but the entire episode was off and brought out the worst in all of the characters. I mean even: "Dammit Dre, you are back on probation again." It does make me worry about this season, that they will once again do casting like this and those will be the worst episodes of the season. Instead of buying a clue and stop doing it.

• Love 3

'Black-ish' spinoff, 'Grown-ish' adds multiple new cast members, including Chloe x Halle

Sister singers Chloe x Halle (Chloe and Halle Bailey) are among the names joining Yara Shahidi's black-ish spinoff, grown-ish. 

They will be recurring cast members, portraying twins Sky and Jazz, who are on the college's track team. This will be the Beyoncé-signed singers' first major acting role. If you remember from wayback when, the sisters were in The Fighting Temptations (which starred Beyoncé). 

Aside from the sisters, new series regulars are Francia Raisa (The Secret Life of the American Teenager) as Ana, an “outspoken conservative freshman" and Jordan Buhat (Summer of ’84) as Vivek, a first-generation Indian-American student at the college. 

On 12/13/2017 at 11:21 AM, Dee said:

What would this show look like if we decentered Dre — if the default perspective were, say, a young black woman instead of her father?

We already know -- it's called Dear White People.

Of course, Grown-ish is still going to be the voice of a middle-aged man -- Kenya Barris.  Only time will tell exactly how much he'l;l listen to what Shahidi tells him. (The ads are not promising...)

• Love 1

ABC Shelved ‘Black-ish’ Political Episode Over ‘Creative Differences’

ABC has indefinitely shelved a politically and socially themed episode of “Black-ish” as a result of creative differences with showrunner Kenya Barris. The network has no plan at this time to air the episode or make it available through other forms of distribution.

Titled “Please, Baby, Please,” the episode was originally set to air Feb. 27. ABC revealed in a scheduling announcement on Feb. 22 that the episode would be replaced with a rerun of the single-camera family comedy, but did not provide any additional detail at that time about why the change had been made or when “Please, Baby, Please” would air.

“One of the things that has always made ‘Black-ish’ so special is how it deftly examines delicate social issues in a way that simultaneously entertains and educates,” an ABC spokesperson told Variety Friday. “However, on this episode there were creative differences we were unable to resolve.”

Shot in November and directed by Barris, “Please, Baby, Please” features Anthony Anderson’s patriarch Dre caring for his infant son on the night of an intense thunderstorm that keeps the whole household awake. Dre attempts to read the baby a bedtime story, but abandons that plan when the baby continues to cry. He instead improvises a bedtime story that, over the course of the episode, conveys many of Dre’s concerns about the current state of the country.

The episode covers multiple political and social issues. In one scene, Dre and oldest son Junior (Marcus Scribner) argue over the rights of athletes to kneel during the performance of the national anthem at football games.

“Given our creative differences, neither ABC nor I were happy with the direction of the episode and mutually agreed not to air it,” Barris, the show’s creator, told Variety. “‘Black-ish’ is a show that has spoken to all different types of people and brought them closer as a community and I’m so proud of the series.”

Edited by Dee

File this under "episodes that will never see the light of day or at least for the next few years."  See also the law and order SVU episode that was about Trump but "wasn't" and thought he would lose, etc. 

And I read about this the day that Black Panther passes 1 BILLION at the box office worldwide.  Go figure. 

On 12/15/2017 at 12:21 AM, jhlipton said:

We already know -- it's called Dear White People.

Of course, Grown-ish is still going to be the voice of a middle-aged man -- Kenya Barris.  Only time will tell exactly how much he'l;l listen to what Shahidi tells him. (The ads are not promising...)

I love how wrong all this turned out to be.

On 1/21/2018 at 6:52 PM, jhlipton said:

If they cut her time so they don't have to pay her what Anderson makes, I'm out.

The "gap year" seems to have turned into two, as Yara has (apparently) signed on for a second season.

Anderson produces the show and was one of the people who got the show on the air will Kenya, Gilmore and fishburne. He should be getting more. But, Ross should be getting a huge bump that is at least favorable to what Anthony makes.

• Love 1
39 minutes ago, jhlipton said:

re grown-ish:

Me too.  It looks much more like Shahidi's show than Barris'.

I actually wasn' that worried. I think barber shop 3 of all things showed me he has more range and he seems to always been open to other input.  If anything I thought he would be smart enough to branch out the creative to others.  He can' be full time on both shows.

• Love 1
On 4/4/2018 at 11:13 AM, junemeatcleaver said:

Kenya Barris is trying to get out of his ABC Studios deal

Can't blame him after ABC shelved that Black-ish episode.  The whole Roseanne situation probably didn't help matters.

I agree, why lots of writers and creators leave series. They do the: "You can't do that because it's ______" then they turn around and the exact opposite happens on another show on the same network. Who answer to the same people. Because you know: "Roseanne is more important than your show." 

• Love 1