Type keyword(s) to search

Black-ish in the Media-ish

• Start Topic

13 hours ago, charmed1 said:

I wish this would've happened. Unfortunately, Rashida Jones has been cast to play Bow's sister.

I don't think Mya is as talented as Rashida, so this is a plus for me.

I would have jumped for joy had Maya been cast to play Bow's sister-as I find her hilarious-or used to. When I saw her on Grinder, she let me down and I found myself asking what happened to her? All the funny was sucked right out of her.

I also love Rashida Jones, so I'm pleased with this casting news.

Maya was fantastic on her two episode guest arc on Brooklyn 99.  I would have loved for her to stay longer.  She seems to fit in with that bent bunch.  I love how no whether they went with Rashida or Maya both their IRL backgrounds resembles Tracee's:   One white Jewish parent and one black musical icon parent.  LOL. 

But how many siblings does Bow have... there is still a chance for Maya maybe.

• Love 1

I'm in the minority, but I've found Rashida Jones as dull as dishwater ever since Quincy was sticking her in his videos. Like, Kidada you can stay, but your sister is fuckin up Slow Jams for me. Go away.

I'm cool with the multiple siblings option if that still leaves room for Maya. Shoot, bring on Lenny Kravitz too.

Edited by charmed1
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, DearEvette said:

Maya was fantastic on her two episode guest arc on Brooklyn 99.  I would have loved for her to stay longer.  She seems to fit in with that bent bunch.  I love how no whether they went with Rashida or Maya both their IRL backgrounds resembles Tracee's:   One white Jewish parent and one black musical icon parent.  LOL. 

57 minutes ago, charmed1 said:

I'm cool with the multiple siblings option if that still leaves room for Maya. Shoot, bring on Lenny Kravitz too.

As Bow began to have siblings pop up, it did get me to think of how this is a ripe opportunity to bring on all the Black-Jewish biracial actors.  The Smolletts seem to already have work but Maya and Lenny have come to mind as well.  I hadn't remembered Bow mentioning her siblings in the past but I look forward to seeing more.

7 minutes ago, AyeshaTheGreat said:

As Bow began to have siblings pop up, it did get me to think of how this is a ripe opportunity to bring on all the Black-Jewish biracial actors.  The Smolletts seem to already have work but Maya and Lenny have come to mind as well.  I hadn't remembered Bow mentioning her siblings in the past but I look forward to seeing more.

Lisa Bonet.  Zoe Kravitz can be a niece.

• Love 4

Yes, I follow Deon Cole on Facebook and he has a still shot of a scene with them together. I despise that little shit and all the people who constantly defend his bitch ass. Oh show. I loathe when something I love is tainted with something so dirty. 

• Love 8
(edited)

I'm digusted that Kenya and Anthony have been making the media rounds defending the casting of Brown.  And I find Tracee's silence telling.  

ETA: I wonder when Joe Mixon, Ray Rice, and Bill Cosby will be stopping by.

Edited by Tiger
  • Love 2

I am not surprised that Kenya and Anthony would be defending this (especially since it was probably one of their ideas).  Though I didn't know about the story posted above, both Kenya and Anthony give me "fboy" teas and Brown fits right in.  I can't really explain it but the character Dre is basically an fboy as well.  Basically, I watch the show despite his character.

• Love 2
On 3/31/2017 at 9:52 PM, AyeshaTheGreat said:

I am not surprised that Kenya and Anthony would be defending this (especially since it was probably one of their ideas).  Though I didn't know about the story posted above, both Kenya and Anthony give me "fboy" teas and Brown fits right in.  I can't really explain it but the character Dre is basically an fboy as well.  Basically, I watch the show despite his character.

Kenya and Anthony both say that they're a lot like Dré in real life, so there you go. I wish they would stop talking to the media. It makes me like the show less. 

13 hours ago, DearEvette said:

Yara Shahidi's family  Has a spread in Glamour Magazine.   I am tickled that her younger brothers could also easily be mistaken for Marcus Scribner's brothers they look so much like Junior,  LOL.

How can every person in a family be that gorgeous? Even the bald dad is handsome af.

• Love 3

I don't begrudge Yara her chance at a spinoff, but A Different World was a lightening in a bottle type situation. Then again, it might just be that I was in college during that time and it holds such a special place for me that I'm nervous of anyone trying to duplicate it. And I'm white, for whatever that's worth in this situation.

Maybe they should just stop comparing it to A Different World.  Honestly I don't think about The Cosby Show when I watch Black-ish at all, so I hope that whatever this spin-off is, it's allowed to be it's own thing. 

• Love 2
On 3/23/2017 at 10:12 AM, DearEvette said:

Okay, I was determined to find where I heard Bow say she had 2 sisters. It's season one's Christmas episode, "my parents used to dress me and my sisters up as the 3 wise women and we would sing Oh Little Town of Bethlehem." Diane quips, "Why, was she a drinker?"

This leaves hope for Maya. Also makes Johan seem like they added him due to Daveed's popularity, not Bow's backstory. I'm picturing him as baby Jesus while the sisters are the three wise (wo)men. 

• Love 1
(edited)

Tracee Ellis Ross on Kimmel (if you happen to have an extra $710 lying around, the Dior shirt she's wearing is available in Dior boutiques through May 15 or online at Saks Fifth Avenue and a portion of the proceeds will go to Rihanna's Clara Lionel Foundation, which awards need-based college scholarships).

She says she didn't watch when Anthony Anderson guest hosted on Kimmel:

She talks about attending the Met Gala:

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo

‘Black-ish’ spinoff ‘College-ish’ enrolls at Freeform for 2018

The spinoff was introduced in the May 3 episode of “Black-ish,” “Liberal Arts.” It followed Zoey Johnson (Shahidi) to college for orientation, where she discovered her father’s co-worker Charlie (Deon Cole) is an adjunct professor of marketing.

Cole will also be part of “College-ish.” The “Liberal Arts” episode also featured Chris Parnell, Matt Walsh, Trevor Jackson and Mallory Sparks; it’s unclear if they’ll be regulars in the series.

1 hour ago, Dee said:

With Black-ish, Angie Tribeca, and now College-ish, Deon Cole is collecting THREE checks. Must be nice.

Plus, he's still doing stand up and he charges people $10 a pop for photos with him lol.

• Love 2
46 minutes ago, BoogieBurns said:

Like $10 cash if you run into him on the street? That makes me laugh so hard.

I'm not sure if his policy extends to the street, but it's definitely the case after his set. He said people can do anything to these photos, so he might as well get paid. I wanted to ask him what had been done to the photos before. I want to see what people's photoshop skills look like. 

• Love 1
20 hours ago, Dee said:

With Black-ish, Angie Tribeca, and now College-ish, Deon Cole is collecting THREE checks. Must be nice.

I sure hope he continues to appear on Black-ish regularly because I'm not watching the new show.

• Love 2
On ‎5‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 7:57 AM, charmed1 said:

Deon Cole confirmed he'll be continuing his role as an adjunct professor on "College-ish."

Good for him but that's not enough to get me to watch.

• Love 1