Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E02 Access

Lady Calypso
  • Start Topic

It's probably all those years of watching Evan be a psycho on AHS but I got a few weird vibes from Stan. Like he would kill to protect all he has and his secret life.  

Blanca and Electra are a hoot to watch together. One of my favorite parts of the episode.

Great lines this episode and continue to love the soundtrack.

Fingers crossed for Damon and his relationship with Ricky.

Matt kissed Patty like some teenager when they met up before going to dinner.  Will see if anything happens with that.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, ShadowHunter said:

It's probably all those years of watching Evan be a psycho on AHS but I got a few weird vibes from Stan. Like he would kill to protect all he has and his secret life.  

If Angel is based off Venus Xtravaganza, then I'd say you're onto something there. 

• Love 8

I was cracking up at all of Pray Tell's reads and the insults between Blanca and Elektra.  I didn't realize Elektra was a kept woman, but I'm glad she was able to bail Blanca out of jail.

The guys in the bar infuriated me, I hope Blanca can come back and tear a strip out of their ass.

I'm glad Damon didn't go to the pizza parlor date, and was focused on his career.  I'm not sure if he should continue with Ricky, though.

• Love 11
(edited)

Stan's jealousy is creeping me out. The fact that he has the nerve to complain that he doesn't like Angel working in "a place like this" because he gets jealous that other men get to see her just shows what a selfish asshole he is. So he thinks it would be better and safer for her to keep prostituting herself on the street? Like Angel said, she makes $125 and no one touches her. He has no right to get possessive after they slept together once (and by "slept together," I mean laid side by side on a bed).

The guy who plays Stan looks like the love child of Michael Cera and Skeet Ulrich.

Oh, Damon. I don't blame you for choosing the opportunity to go to the ballet over pizza with some guy you just met. It was still rude to leave Ricky hanging though. Children, do you see how rough life was before cell phones?

The actress playing Elektra is terrible. Her line readings are so wooden.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 22

I am so confused. The Ball competitions are based on what? Outfits? Walk? Poses? All of the above? Because I thought the other contestants who lost against Electra (the night Blanca did not compete) were very good. 

Does Pray Tell influence the judges with his commentary?

Does Electra think she is superior to Blanca because most people think that Electra was born female?

I think Electra called Blanca a queen or a transvestite or both. I know that they hate each other, but wouldn’t Electra at least respect the fact that Blanca identifies as a woman? 

I wish The Actor Who Plays (TAWP) Damon had studied acting. I do not like the way he smiles broadly without showing his teeth or the way he swings his hips when he’s flirting or trying to be coy.

I wish TAWP Stan was more attractive. But I loved what he said to Angel in the diner about how real she was. 

• Love 2
(edited)

I wonder if Damon's character is based on Freddie Pendavis:

11 hours ago, Surrealist said:

If Angel is based off Venus Xtravaganza, then I'd say you're onto something there. 

Venus Xtravaganza was a prostitute and killed by one of the johns. :( I hope this is not what will happen to Angel. I was watching bits and pieces of 'Paris is burning' documentary and Venus makes a comment regarding how if a woman wants a washer & dryer --she has to sleep with her husband in order to get that washer & dryer. As we know in POSE-- that's the case with Angel's friend, Stan. (He bought a dryer for his wife). He's so creepy!

I'm putting these puzzle pieces together. LOL!

Edited by latincoffee
  • Love 4
25 minutes ago, latincoffee said:

Venus Xtravaganza was a prostitute and killed by one of the johns. :( I hope this is not what will happen to Angel. I was watching bits and pieces of 'Paris is burning' documentary and Venus makes a comment regarding how if a woman wants a washer & dryer --she has to sleep with her husband in order to get that washer & dryer. As we know in POSE-- that's the case with Angel's friend, Stan. (He bought a dryer for his wife). He's so creepy!

I'm putting these puzzle pieces together. LOL!

Dishwasher.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, SimoneS said:

The story is so good and has so much potential, but the acting is so damn bad. Too bad we aren't getting more Pray Tell.

The acting reminds me of Season 3 of AHS which was Coven and everyone was so over the top and the girls were having cat fights almost every episode.

I though Evan Peters did fine with the speech he gave to Angel but like I said it seems like he is a creep and hopefully they pull the trigger on that.  

The actor who plays Damon needs a few acting lessons though. 

• Love 5

I'm a little bored by Damon but I loved his scene with Blanca when she was giving him the sex talk. That little hug at the end was everything she needed.

Stan barely wanted to get his wife a dishwasher but was ready to come up with the cash to keep Angel for a year? I feel bad for the wife and Angel but at least Angel is getting something more out of this.  I really don't want this to end tragically for Angel. Stan could die but don't touch Angel!

Blanca's story was sad but the usual. Every group wants to have something just below them to look down on so they can say "at least I'm not them." It's bullshit and sad and still happens. The fact that the whole bar was cheering as she was kicked out and arrested pissed me off because just a few years earlier they would have been the ones being kicked out of a straight bar. I liked that Elektra came to help Blanca even if it's about keeping her control of the world they have.

She over emphasizes everything she says in a "look at me, I'm acting!" way but I still kind of like her.

Does Electra think she is superior to Blanca because most people think that Electra was born female?

Basically. It's all about being able to "pass" for Elektra.

I hope we get into Lil Papi's life soon. Right now he's just floating around the edges not doing much.

• Love 11
(edited)

On a positive note, Damon's dancing has improved substantially since he has been taking lessons at The New School.

I can see Stan killing Angel if Matt gets close to finding out about his affair with her. After all, if he kills her there would be no evidence that he was involved with her. 

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, hoodooznoodooz said:

I wish TAWP Stan was more attractive. But I loved what he said to Angel in the diner about how real she was. 

Same. I thought that was the best moment in the whole episode.

• Love 7
(edited)

Ricky is cute, but I dont know about him. Damon is such a newbie to dating, I fear he will get his heart broken. That being said, it sucks that he stood Ricky up, even if he made the right call going to the ballet. Couldn't he at least have tried to leave him a note or something at the pizza place? Life without cell phones really did seem like a sad, confusing time ;) Thank god I had a cell phone by the time I was old enough to actually date! 

Sad seeing the racism and trans-phobia that Blanca had to deal with so often, even within the LGBTQ community. I guess it shouldn't be surprising, as prejudice isnt limited to just straight white people (all groups of people have their issues and their assholes), but it always seems like people who have experienced hatred should know better on some level. But, as the other trans lady said, people at the bottom sometimes like to have people even further down the bottom to kick to make them feel better. I do hope this doesn't join the Ryan Murphy "all white gay men like me are shallow shits at best, horrible monsters at worst" theme that he got into in some of his other shows.

Its hard to tell where the Stan/Angel stuff is going. Its hard to see if Stan's a semi-decent guy who is trying to be something he isnt, and was telling the truth in his speech to Angel about loving that she is living her real life, and will just be all torn and conflicted, or if he is five seconds from ax murdering people to Huey Lewis and the News. It could go either way. 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 19
15 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

Its hard to see if Stan's a semi-decent guy who is trying to be something he isnt, and was telling the truth in his speech to Angel about loving that she is living her real life, and will just be all torn and conflicted, or if he is five seconds from ax murdering people to Huey Lewis and the News.

I dunno, I get those American Psycho vibes more from Dawson. I think Stan would be the Paul Allen in this scenario ;)

• Love 5

The actress who plays Angel is so beautiful. Her and Blanca are the strongest actors imo. 

Damon is cute. He reminds me of a more boyish John Boyega.

Maybe it's because I'm 26 and never had a relationship myself, but I took Stan's speech in the diner at face value. I didn't get a closeted killer vibe from it but I'm also hugely naive to romance lol which is probably what they're going for with her longing to be validated in her gender identity. I didn't know Venus was murdered so I'm desperately hoping she's not the inspiration for her character arc. :( 

• Love 7
(edited)

I felt like Damon's mama and I was so worried about him being with Ricky and having something bad happen.  I know it wasn't nice of Damon to stand Ricky up, but his apology was sincere.  I hope those two work out but we'll see.  They're both so young.

I did love "The Talk" that Blanca had with Damon. 

Edited by Ohwell
Damon, not Ricky
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, TiffanyNichelle said:

She over emphasizes everything she says in a "look at me, I'm acting!" way but I still kind of like her.

Yeah.  And I love how she and Blanca play off each other.

• Love 3
(edited)

Perhaps it’s just me but I don’t think Electra “passes” as a cis-woman more than Bianca does. Blanca is thinner but has a more feminine face (to me). 

Something told me Damon was a virgin- he seemed so young and innocent. His eyes in his date when they were cuddling on the bench, the fear of being seen out, awww poor thing. He’s adorable. 

Edited by Scarlett45
Blanca is not Bianca- autocorrect
  • Love 5
9 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

Perhaps it’s just me but I don’t think Electra “passes” as a cis-woman more than Bianca does. Bianca is thinner but has a more feminine face (to me). 

Plus, I think Blanca has great legs, much nicer than Electra's. 

• Love 4
8 minutes ago, Ohwell said:

She does. I think she and Angel are very pretty women. 

Stan was starting to creep me out,  (I’m posting as I watch). How is a married guy who picked up a sex worker and saw her ONE TIME getting so jealous??

• Love 12

I like Damon's pursuit of his dancing dream.  Damon and RIcky as a couple don't do much for me.  Neither are strong actors. Given his player status, I have a hard time believing Ricky's all that wrapped up in virginal Damon and I don't see much chemistry between them. 

The Elektra and Blanca story has potential but it's really hard to give leeway to Elektra's wooden delivery when I'm already giving it to other inexperienced actors.

7 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

Its hard to tell where the Stan/Angel stuff is going. Its hard to see if Stan's a semi-decent guy who is trying to be something he isnt, and was telling the truth in his speech to Angel about loving that she is living her real life, and will just be all torn and conflicted, or if he is five seconds from ax murdering people to Huey Lewis and the News. It could go either way. 

I agree.  I think Stan is Mr. Intense McInteseton.  And it's really hard to see where it'd go.  The possessiveness/jealousy, especially when removed from logic (Angel on the street would touch more men than an angel behind glass) is a red flag.  I like that she pointed that out.  Also somewhat worrisome is his obliviousness when he talks about hoping one day Angel wants better for herself even though that will mean the end of them.  On the other hand, I can see the appeal of his intensity when he looks at her, when he asks for permission to kiss her even though he has paid her for more, when he affirms he sees her as a woman and what, specifically, he sees in her.  It's almost worshipful. 

So yes, they are writing this where it could end ugly for Angel but I hope they haven't lifted everything from real life.

• Love 12
9 hours ago, TiffanyNichelle said:

I love the character of Electra.  The haughtiness coupled with all the shade is amazing, and I can see her trying to channel a Naomi Campbell-esque persona.  However, the actress is ruining it for me; she's awful.  And the line readings....whoever above said wooden is absolutely correct.  

Loved Blanca's "talk" with Damon.  It was one of the best I've seen done on TV.  And Damon and his date were so fricken cute together.  I thought for a moment, something bad would happen in the basement to Damon, but was so relieved that he made it home okay.  For now (I try to never get too comfortable with these Ryan Murphy shows).  

Overall, I am absolutely loving this show!  

• Love 9
(edited)

I'm honestly tired of tragic/sad stories with trans people. I hope to god they don't kill Angel. Both Angel and Blanca are the characters I'm most invested in right now.

I'm also enjoying how they've been exploring some LGBTQ issues that are rarely (if ever) approached in TV. Like, the sexual education at the beginning. That's something I can relate myself as a gay man. I had a very "heteronormative" sexual education growing up, and that wasn't helpful to me.

And I liked that they explored discrimination inside the community. That was the best part of the episode. Sometimes people put LGBTQ all inside of one bag, and tend to forget or ignore the transphobia some gay people have, or even racism. I loved that they approached that "white cisgender masculine" superiority that exists in the community... to this day.

Edited by planet17
  • Love 20
12 hours ago, latincoffee said:

I thought Ricky, his date, was supposed to be the Freddie Pendavis of this series.

1 hour ago, luckyroll3 said:

love the character of Electra.  The haughtiness coupled with all the shade is amazing, and I can see her trying to channel a Naomi Campbell-esque persona.  However, the actress is ruining it for me; she's awful.  And the line readings....whoever above said wooden is absolutely correct.  

I wish they would re-cast the actress. She has the look but the acting is appalling.

• Love 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, AgentRXS said:

I thought Ricky, his date, was supposed to be the Freddie Pendavis of this series.

I wish they would re-cast the actress. She has the look but the acting is appalling.

I was assuming that Damon was based on Jose Xtravaganza.  The House of Evangelista seems to be a fictional Xtravaganza (Blanca/Angie and Angel/Venus), so that would make sense.  I posted in the first episode thread that it was really hard to enjoy Angel's character knowing what Venus' story and it's kind of the same with Blanca (Angie died so young as well), but I'm very glad that Jose is alive and kicking so don't have the dread with that character.

I was thinking that the actress playing Elektra was making a deliberate choice with the acting.  She reminded me of the old school mothers (a la Crystal LaBeiga) who added a sort of brittle veneer to their personae. It's been ages since I've seen Paris is Burning, but Pepper was already the house mother by then and I don't recall if they even mentioned Crystal.

Does anybody know if that was an actual ballet they were seeing?  The first time they were dancing to Beethoven and the second time it was Greig.  I'm not that up on ballet, so I didn't know if there was an actual ballet that used both of those composers.

Edited by Sile
  • Love 8
4 minutes ago, Sile said:

I was thinking that the actress playing Elektra was making a deliberate choice with the acting.  She reminded me of the old school mothers (a la Crystal LaBeiga) who added a sort of brittle veneer to their personae.

I’m loving Electra. She reminds me of those old school Mothers so much. 

• Love 13
16 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

She is really, really bad - almost unwatchable, honestly.  Her scenes with Blanca could be really fun, but I just cannot get past her acting.

1 hour ago, planet17 said:

I'm honestly tired of tragic/sad stories with trans people. I hope to god they don't kill Angel. Both Angel and Blanca are the characters I'm most invested in right now.

Boy, it would be a HUGE mistake to take out Angel.  She is stunning and has charisma for days.  She just glows and, for me, is the real revelation from this show.  Evan Peters is solid, as per usual, and I assume Kate Mara's storyline will pickup, since she's had very little to do in these two episodes.   Is this a limited series, do we know? 

• Love 7

I'm honestly tired of tragic/sad stories with trans people. I hope to god they don't kill Angel.

I'm with you on that.  I'm also sick of Evan Peters playing murderers and psychopaths, and Ryan Murphy just got through rubbing everybody's noses in murderous capitalistic-wannabees with sexuality issues in Gianni Versace.  I feel like they desperately need to avoid the obvious path and go somewhere else with that storyline. 

• Love 9
(edited)

This episode was like an R-rated teen afternoon special. Lots of heavy-handed issue-laden scripting, forcing us to sit through too much preaching. A little goes a long way and is very effective.

The nastiness Blanca experienced at the bar reminds me of the early days of feminism, when the factions inside the movement learned how to collaborate on a common goal. It also reminded me of those gay men who hate women - the ones who hiss and hold their noses and make snide remarks about smelling fish.

I'm bothered by Blanca's nearly crossed eyes and thin voice. Some of the dialogue is so overwrought that the actors are struggling to say it.

But Indya Moore is a real talent, and stunning to boot. James VDB nails the slick, shallow financier - at one time they were everywhere.

Edited by pasdetrois
  • Love 5
22 hours ago, hoodooznoodooz said:

I think Evan Peters is beautiful. Like, he's serious crush material for me. Not as Stan, probably, but usually. I don't get creepy psycho killer vibes from him quite yet, but he's seriously fucked up and seriously possessive of Angel so quickly that nothing would surprise me.

Inyda Moore is stunning.

• Love 3
11 hours ago, Sile said:

I was thinking that the actress playing Elektra was making a deliberate choice with the acting.  She reminded me of the old school mothers (a la Crystal LaBeiga) who added a sort of brittle veneer to their personae. It's been ages since I've seen Paris is Burning, but Pepper was already the house mother by then and I don't recall if they even mentioned Crystal.

I too got major LaBeija vibes from her, it seems like a character choice and I kind of love how affected it is. In the latest Entertainment Weekly there's an interview and the actress who plays Electra (sp?) apparently was part of the ball scene back in the day so she knows a lot about it.

• Love 8
On 6/11/2018 at 1:12 PM, TiffanyNichelle said:

I'm a little bored by Damon but I loved his scene with Blanca when she was giving him the sex talk. That little hug at the end was everything she needed.

Stan barely wanted to get his wife a dishwasher but was ready to come up with the cash to keep Angel for a year? I feel bad for the wife and Angel but at least Angel is getting something more out of this.  I really don't want this to end tragically for Angel. Stan could die but don't touch Angel!

Blanca's story was sad but the usual. Every group wants to have something just below them to look down on so they can say "at least I'm not them." It's bullshit and sad and still happens. The fact that the whole bar was cheering as she was kicked out and arrested pissed me off because just a few years earlier they would have been the ones being kicked out of a straight bar. I liked that Elektra came to help Blanca even if it's about keeping her control of the world they have.

Basically. It's all about being able to "pass" for Elektra.

I hope we get into Lil Papi's life soon. Right now he's just floating around the edges not doing much.

23 hours ago, Dream Boy said:

While her acting is a little wooden, I live for Electra. She reminds me of many women like her from my ball walking days, living her life like she is actually Alexis Carrington. And I like to see her and Blanca go at it. Can't wait for Blanca's house to really start doing well so that the rivalry is more even. 

It depends on the category. Sometimes it's the visual effect, sometimes it's the walk/mannerisms, and othertimes it's a combination. That particular contest looked to be based on the visual and who brought the Dynasty look more (which could have also included whether the garments were expensive or not).

Electra was doing her best to cut her down and one of the ways trans women have done that to one another is by proving that one is more "real" (i.e. able to pass as female) than the other. There's a ball category called Fem Queen Realness that's all about rewarding the more passable woman. 

I got pissed watching that. Wish I could say that it's a relic of days gone by but the community still has a degree of transphobia and racism in it. 

18 hours ago, jzygayle said:

Yeah.  And I love how she and Blanca play off each other.

16 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

Perhaps it’s just me but I don’t think Electra “passes” as a cis-woman more than Bianca does. Blanca is thinner but has a more feminine face (to me). 

Something told me Damon was a virgin- he seemed so young and innocent. His eyes in his date when they were cuddling on the bench, the fear of being seen out, awww poor thing. He’s adorable. 

16 hours ago, Ohwell said:

16 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

She does. I think she and Angel are very pretty women. 

Stan was starting to creep me out,  (I’m posting as I watch). How is a married guy who picked up a sex worker and saw her ONE TIME getting so jealous??

I think Blanca is doing an amazing job in the acting department, but she seems to have a bit of a lazy eye, but otherwise is very attractive. I think Electra is fabulous, amazing, and brutal. However, as a cisgender woman of color, I would never mistake her for someone who was physically born as a woman. I would know she was transgender the minute she opened her mouth and by her facial features. I think Blanca could pass if you do not look at her closely or think about her voice too much. Angel is really stunning and I can hardly believe she was born with male parts. When that policeman was flirting with Electra, there was no way he did not know she was trans, so Electra proud bragging about always being able to "pass" no matter where she is kind of falls flat for me.

• Love 8
4 minutes ago, qtpye said:

I think Blanca is doing an amazing job in the acting department, but she seems to have a bit of a lazy eye, but otherwise is very attractive. I think Electra is fabulous, amazing, and brutal. However, as a cisgender woman of color, I would never mistake her for someone who was physically born as a woman. I would know she was transgender the minute she opened her mouth and by her facial features. I think Blanca could pass if you do not look at her closely or think about her voice too much. Angel is really stunning and I can hardly believe she was born with male parts. When that policeman was flirting with Electra, there was no way he did not know she was trans, so Electra proud bragging about always being able to "pass" no matter where she is kind of falls flat for me.

As a cis woman of color I agree, when did Electra get on this high horse?!!

Blanca and Angel are both beautiful, and better looking than Electra- I think they are styling Blanca poorly to indicate she doesn’t have much money, and she’s also older than Angel. As a sex worker Angel would invest in clothes and makeup (job related) and she also has youth on her side. (I’m not calling Blanca old by any means). 

Perhaps Electra has gotten on this high horse and is treating the other women like CRAP because she was able to afford gender confirming surgery (as it’s called now- Or bottom surgery)

I don’t want Angel to die, or get hurt by those guys in that bar. But I can see that coming. 

5 hours ago, luna1122 said:

I think Evan Peters is beautiful. Like, he's serious crush material for me. Not as Stan, probably, but usually. I don't get creepy psycho killer vibes from him quite yet, but he's seriously fucked up and seriously possessive of Angel so quickly that nothing would surprise me.

Inyda Moore is stunning.

When straight white men want something I’m always afraid they will go psycho (just kidding- only a little). If I were Angel I would watch out. I would’ve maybe agreed to a standing weekly date and a monthly allowance (in her position) but to give up my freedom and live in an apartment he provides? That could go stalker very quickly. 

• Love 4

Right now, I think Blanca is great at the short zingers, but the one she had at the beginning mocking Electra on her loss felt very memorised.  I couldn't even enjoy the IHOP crack (which doesn't matter since IHOB is a joke in itself right now. Seriously, WHY!)   But Electra...If it's not intentional, then it's horrible acting.  If it is intentional, it's even worse. 

And apparently as a "regular" gay bar, they play Debbie Gibson and Bananarama.  I would be chaining myself to stay just so I can get my dance on. 

• Love 3

I think all of the transwomen in the main cast are attractive, but I don't think that any of them can pass. Indya Moore has the most delicate facial features of all of them, but I don't think even she still couldn't pass. Her jaw is too square.

• Love 2
(edited)

I’m loving this show! Electra is even growing on me. Angel is my girl. Agreed that she is stunning. Pray Tell kills it every week. 

Add me to the Evan Peters throws off creep vibes group. I can’t help but think of his AHS roles.

Edited by LittleIggy
  • Love 5

It seemed like the actress who plays Blanca was reading cue cards to get her lines out or something. Good lord with the weird over-enunciation and stilted manner of speech. I love watching her though because she really was Alexis Carrington at the ball. 

But the worst for me is the actor playing Damon because he is just so lousy at acting. I suffer from second-hand embarrassment for him every time he's on the screen. I did laugh when he wound up in the warehouse because I kept waiting for him to break out into some cringe-worthy Footloose act. 

I am dreading the inevitable moment when Stan's boss asks Stan to bring Angel to dinner so he can meet her. 

7 hours ago, MsTree said:

Curious question re: the acronym LGBTQ.  For a long time it was just LGBT. I may be ignorant, but isn't the "Q" redundant of the "G"??

The Q stands for "queer" and is more of an umbrella term for anyone who doesn't fit into a typical binary system of gender or sexual attraction. Queer includes trans people or nonbinary people, as well as gay/lesbian/bisexual/pansexual.

• Love 9
17 minutes ago, ClareWalks said:

The Q stands for "queer" and is more of an umbrella term for anyone who doesn't fit into a typical binary system of gender or sexual attraction. Queer includes trans people or nonbinary people, as well as gay/lesbian/bisexual/pansexual.

I'm glad you brought this up because I'm old enough to remember that once upon a time, calling someone "queer" was considered an insult.  I wonder when did things change?

• Love 3
33 minutes ago, Ohwell said:

I'm glad you brought this up because I'm old enough to remember that once upon a time, calling someone "queer" was considered an insult.  I wonder when did things change?

I think it's one of those "we're reclaiming it" situations, it's probably been sometime in the last 10 years that it's become acceptable again (although like "gay," it can probably be used pejoratively by some folks depending on their tone and such).

• Love 4