Type keyword(s) to search

"The View": Week Of 5/28/2018

Jaded
  • Start Topic

There's a difference between racist language and crude language. Conversations need to stop equating the two and for people in power to be so ignorant and mindless to treat them similarly - you are part of the problem in peddling a narrative that racist language may be nasty but it is freedom of speech. No, it's HATE speech. Samantha Bee didn't make herself look good using the word AND she made herself look worse by apologizing for it because it's hard to believe that in a TAPED show, you wouldn't have had time to reconsider the use of the word and re-shoot the scene. Maybe she's genuinely sorry that people (not Ivanka) were deeply offended by it...but I'm not wholly convinced the apology was completely genuine. While I can certainly recognize the word as being very crude and vulgar, I'm not personally offended by it and I have a hard time believing that this would generate as much outrage here in Canada unless perhaps it was said by a politician or some big corporation guy. Relatively speaking, we are more lax when it comes to rating and censorship on our radios and tv shows.

I laughed out loud when Joy called out Paula for calling Aunt Lydia unattractive - "why are you calling her unattractive, she's attractive to somebody", haha.

Hadn't heard about Dinesh before today but he sounds like a POS try hard. Loved Ana's superpower analogy. And her sharing the Latino saying about eating burnt rice...oh man she was golden today, haha.

Why wouldn't a child be able to explain what that shirt means? Common sense tells me that any parent that buys and dresses their child in that shirt would be teaching their child what it means and advocating that shirt as an empowering message, not for fashion. So Paula, if you encourage your children to be free-thinkers and you don't impose your own messages onto them, do you teach Judaism, Islam, Hinduism, etc. in addition to Christianity in your home? Because if you aren't, then guess what, you're imposing an ideology on your children. Teaching your children about equality is not even in the same ballpark as imposing your political beliefs on children. The fact that Paula says that not everyone identifies with being a feminist is exactly to Joy's point, there are many people who belief that women should be treated equal to men but don't use the label feminist because the concept of feminism has been distorted to the mainstream, using the most extreme examples that suggest feminism is equivalent to lesbians and women who hate men.

In terms of the #metoo movement, it all comes down to know your audience and know your tone. You should know the level of appropriate in commenting on their look or outfit and you should be aware of how you're saying it. Even if you know the person well, being creepy about it won't be received well. And as much as we need to be mindful of what we say, where we say it, how we say it and who we say it too, we as individuals and as a society as a whole need to be rational about it and understand that not all situations are exactly alike. Being annoyed by attention is not the same as feeling threatened by the attention.

• Love 15

Why hasn't anybody who is going crazy over what Sam Bee said not  noted that the slur WAS BLEEPED when she said it on air...I didn't even know she said it, and I saw the show when it was on for God's sake.  They say MF on that show and on the Daily Show every single night, and of course it is bleeped every single night. Good God folks, if they allow it to be said and bleeped on a cable show GET OVER IT. It's not like she is screaming the C word in all it's glory, it is bleeped out. But, for me that's a word that should not be on television, so I get it. I don't even like that word in movies or while watching HBO. But that is just me, and I have a total trash mouth. but for me that word is just flat out nasty, but not in Britain. I am totally Team ?! Leave Miss Bee alone. 

• Love 13
(edited)

Regarding the JCrew shirt, I think we should ask if grownups should really feel so attacked by a message on a little boy's shirt?  That little boy has a greater chance of dealing with an adult having a problem with his shirt than being indoctrinated into something he doesn't believe.  Parents raise kids in their belief systems.  Dressing a kid that way doesn't mean his parents are going to flip out if later on the kid doesn't want to be identified as a feminist,

Edited by LakeGeorg
  • Love 9

Last November Paula was in a car accident and while on a live shot for GMA she was hit by a thrown apple. Now today she said she had a miscarriage last fall and would have had a child last month. I feel bad for what happened. I enjoy Fridays primarily because she is there and Joy moderates. Today's show should be the everyday one.

• Love 8
49 minutes ago, Poohbear617 said:

Samantha was showing the picture of Ivanka holding her young child that she had tweeted out and Samantha was commenting about how UNAWARE this photo is.  She was commenting about how you r blessed to have this photo and hold your child while your dad's administration is ripping children out of their mothers arms so woman to woman..mother to mother do something and talk to your dad you feckless c***. Yes it was recorded but it was also said in anger and frustration. All the focus on the word and not the why and the message lost in talk of apology instead of the despicable actions taking place. I would liked to hear that talk instead of the distraction.

They did talk on Tues's show about how tone deaf Ivanka was by posting her mom and child pics.  But you are right that it could have been mentioned again today as context for SB's remark.

• Love 9

Paula Faris flatly saying that the character of Aunt Lydia is unattractive is an insult to Ann Dowd, who portrays the character, and is, in my opinion, worse than the joke Michelle Wolf made. 

• Love 24
2 hours ago, Haleth said:

Max's text was hilarious.

Sara seemed to be pissed at that comment.  It's like she didn't know what expression to make.  

• Love 9
3 hours ago, WarnerCL45 said:

The annoying thing to me is that I thought Samantha was smarter.  She had to know how that word would be received.  I would think better of her if she had not apologized.

Yes, she knew what she was saying and so did her producers and the network.  I agree, she should not have apologized, but I think in the wake of Roseanne being cancelled, she was probably compelled to do so to save her show.  Her apology tweet was certainly written by publicists or lawyers from the network.

• Love 8
(edited)

I would have preferred a 4-person panel, with Ana, not Paula, who was talking over everyone else plus during her own ample time.  Some schools forbid shirts with words or logos to avoid anyone being offended or labelling their child (and logo shirts cost a lot more, basically saying "I'm rich"). I don't like the C, P & N words, but Ana is correct about Brits & Aussies using it all the time (as do the French) so Canadians are used to hearing it.  It is used to refer to a person behaving like a dick, jerk or a-hole, like Ivanka.  Sam & writers probably thought of it as the feminist hipster version of "dick" and OK for a woman to use about a woman in a situation that had nothing to do with sex or body parts. Now she knows better than to use words that will distract from the point she is trying to make.

Edited by deirdra
  • Love 9
18 minutes ago, bannana said:

Yes, she knew what she was saying and so did her producers and the network.  I agree, she should not have apologized, but I think in the wake of Roseanne being cancelled, she was probably compelled to do so to save her show.  Her apology tweet was certainly written by publicists or lawyers from the network.

What Roseanne tweeted said a lot more about her than what Samantha's ill-advised remark says about her.  Roseanne was shown to be a racist. Samantha was shown to have a lapse in judgement.

• Love 12
14 minutes ago, deirdra said:

I would have preferred a 4-person panel, with Ana, not Paula, who was talking over everyone else plus during her own ample time.  Some schools forbid shirts with words or logos to avoid anyone being offended or labelling their child (and logo shirts cost a lot more, basically saying "I'm rich"). I don't like the C, P & N words, but Ana is correct about Brits & Aussies using it all the time (as do the French) so Canadians are used to hearing it.  It is used to refer to a person behaving like a dick, jerk or a-hole, like Ivanka.  Sam & writers probably thought of it as the feminist hipster version of "dick" and OK for a woman to use about a woman in a situation that had nothing to do with sex. Now she knows better than to use words that distract from her important messages.

Some people have argued that c*nt can be an empowering word, but it still makes me cringe.  what's worse, to me, is that calling someone a "douche"  has become so acceptable, and that is so repugnant to me I can't even explain.   kids use it all the time, and have no idea what the word actually means.

As to logos on shirts?  I guess my husband brain-washed our kids by having them wear White Sox shirts instead of Cubs shirts when they were little, and it's worked.  Who knew?  If only I had the forethought to make them wear shirts that said "when I grow up I'm going to take my mom to Europe".  

• Love 12
(edited)
2 hours ago, LakeGeorg said:

Regarding the JCrew shirt, I think we should ask if grownups should really feel so attacked by a message on a little boy's shirt?  That little boy has a greater chance of dealing with an adult having a problem with his shirt than being indoctrinated into something he doesn't believe.  Parents raise kids in their belief systems.  Dressing a kid that way doesn't mean his parents are going to flip out if later on the kid doesn't want to be identified as a feminist,

Right?  I can't even believe this is an issue to some people.

Why do these people care how parents are choosing to dress their children?  I'm sure if the boy was wearing a shirt with Jesus' image on it they would be okay.

I wonder if they make that shirt in baby sizes.  If so, I will buy one for my son. 

EDIT: Unfortunately they are all out of the smaller sizes.  6-7 is the smallest size they have available and my son is only 6 1/2 months old.  I'm glad to see that folks are buying the shirts :)

Edited by DkNNy79
  • Love 10
4 hours ago, TheGreenKnight said:

While I'm like Sunny in that I'd rather nobody use words like the C-word, N-word, F-word, I agree with Joy that the word being used by people within that group is different.

I do agree that it is different when a person within that group uses it, but I also believe that it doesn't make it right, and that it is up to other members of that group to call the person out for using that type of language. For instance look at Kayne.  I feel as women, we need to call out other members within our group that use that language such as the C-word against other women. I just feel that using the C-word, or N-Word is the lowest form of fighting, and I think Samantha should have been above stooping to that level of language. I could go down a hole rabbit hole, but I won't how the network approved it, and aired it, and I believe love seeing women attacking other women.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

That and she "lets" him be the "leader" in their relationship.

Paula and her husband are Evangelical Christians, where the concept of submitting to your husband and supporting him as he leads the household are strongly encouraged. She has said on other shows that her husband relocated several times for her during her career, and how surprising that was to a woman who met her husband at a small Christian college.

• Love 4
(edited)
1 hour ago, backformore said:

Some people have argued that c*nt can be an empowering word, but it still makes me cringe.  what's worse, to me, is that calling someone a "douche"  has become so acceptable, and that is so repugnant to me I can't even explain.   kids use it all the time, and have no idea what the word actually means.

As to logos on shirts?  I guess my husband brain-washed our kids by having them wear White Sox shirts instead of Cubs shirts when they were little, and it's worked.  Who knew?  If only I had the forethought to make them wear shirts that said "when I grow up I'm going to take my mom to Europe".  

French is one of my native languages and douche means shower in French, se doucher, means to take a shower. So, I always laugh when I hear Americans use it as a slur.

Edited by Apprentice79
  • Love 10

I was glad to hear Joy and Ana bring up that in other parts of the world we're not so hung up on "c***". I've lived in two of the countries they mentioned and yeah, you wouldn't use it in formal situations, but it's pretty common casually and in the UK I found a lot of people use it almost endearingly. Like all words, context and audience is everything. Use it from a position of power to berate a woman and it's awful. In a joke, not so much. But you can do this with all language. People can be much more offensive without using any words considered curse-words or racial epithets. Roseanne used no offensive words in and of themselves but what she said was horrible because of her intent. I hope I'm making sense?

Paula looks dead behind the eyes.

• Love 13

yeah, Paula is dead behind the eyes, because she has no soul. Yeah, I said it, but she is still better than MM any day of the week. At least we are spared the GLARE, not to mention those slimy lips. gulp gulp Miss Meghan.  

• Love 10

I loved the absence of she who will not be named and loved even  more the majority of posts today were about something other than her!! Enjoyed it so ?

• Love 5
(edited)

OH, STFU, Paula! My eyes rolled so hard they fell outta my head with her defending 45, saying that he was still thinking about pardoning the great grandmother who has been in jail for her first drug offense for the past 20 years. That he just didn't get to her. But he sure as fuck got to pardon D'Souza, who is a RAGING ASSHOLE. A lot of people say that Maher paid for what he said on his old show, Politically Incorrect, after 9/11--about how he praised the terrorists. WRONG. It was D'Souza, who called them "warriors," not terrorists. HE was fucking praising them and admiring them. THAT'S what caused his show to be canceled. I know, because I watched that show/episode, and still reeling from that day, and could not believe the utter GALL and tone deafnessness of this ratbatarddouchetasticprick.

As for what Sam Bee said? I will admit, I had NO problem with it; I found it hilarious. I feel bad that she was pressured to apologize. And again, SHUT UP, Paula. She's already suffering consequences--she lost a few advertisers. I heard her muttering how Sam should be suspended.  And she can shut up about the whole feminist discussion. Her condescension about a little boy knowing what feminism is; specifically, Sunny's son. Like Sunny wouldn't be able to explain to her son what feminism is. And I'm so suuuuuuure she doesn't want her kids to have the same politics as she does.

And GOOD GOD, I couldn't believe Sara's denseness about how 45 couldn't tell between racism and offensiveness. She didn't look good at ALL in the discussion, because it made her look like she was defending him. I loved Sunny clearing up the obvious misconception Sara was under. Hell, Sunny and Ana and Joy were the best part of today.

UGH. Paula's explanation for EVERYTHING is "it depends upon your interpretation" nonsense.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 20
9 hours ago, blondiec0332 said:

Isn't Paula the same woman who said she likes when her husband "puts her in check"?  I'm guessing feminism is controversial in that household.

My guess is that her husband's words "'turn her on."

• Love 4

Why I didn't mind the feminist t shirt I did understand Paula's point of it might not being the best idea to use your children for your own beliefs. I can still remember so clearly flying with my father on a southwest flight many years ago, and this woman had two small children, a baby, and was clearly pregnant again. She put the baby in a pro-life onesie, the other child wore a shirt that said My mommy loved me, and chose life. The third had a shirt that said, when times get hard real mothers choose life. 

My jaw just hung open. Like I said I didn't have a problem with the feminist shirt but I do think parents can go to far in the clothing they put on their children.

• Love 9
8 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

UGH. Paula's explanation for EVERYTHING is "it depends upon your interpretation" nonsense.

Just another way to try to excuse offensive behavior. 

Paula might be less screechy than Meghan but I don't like her.  There is a smugness to her that irks me.  

• Love 17
20 hours ago, Wings said:

Oh how sweet would it be for someone to get that out there for all to hear!  

There is no excuse for using those horrible words, but there is a difference between using them in private and using them in front of an audience of millions.

• Love 2
(edited)
18 hours ago, backformore said:

Some people have argued that c*nt can be an empowering word, but it still makes me cringe. 

I wish someone would explain how it would be empowering.  People find the oddest things empowering - breast augmentation, botox, liposuction. 

I know the Brits use the word all the time & for some reason their usage doesn't make me cringe.  Go figure.

Edited by WarnerCL45
poor editing
  • Love 3
16 minutes ago, WarnerCL45 said:

I wish someone would explain how it would be empowering.  People find the oddest things empowering - breast augmentation, botox, liposuction. 

I know the Brits use the word it all the time & for some reason their usage doesn't make me cringe.  Go figure.

Probably because everything's a c--- over there. Men, women, children, animals, football teams, inanimate objects. 

• Love 1
13 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

And GOOD GOD, I couldn't believe Sara's denseness about how 45 couldn't tell between racism and offensiveness. She didn't look good at ALL in the discussion, because it made her look like she was defending him. I loved Sunny clearing up the obvious misconception Sara was under. Hell, Sunny and Ana and Joy were the best part of today.

Could not agree more, @GHScorpiosRule. In fact, I wish when issues of race/racism come up on the show, Sara would defer her position and instead ask Sunny or Whoppi or Ana how they feel. When you are the person of privilege in a situation that involves an -ism (racism, sexism, antisemitism, etc.) your job, is to listen and learn. Of course, the caveat to this being: said privileged person has to give a shit about change in order to take a step back and have a desire to fully understand the situation. That's what makes a good ally and advocate. And lord knows that's what the world needs a lot more of right now. 

Paula. Wow. Her arguing against a child's t-shirt that says "women and men are equal" was, well, frightening. Speaks to the hideous beast of internalized misogyny which never fails to freak me out. So many women still accepting and believing, "Yup, I'm less than!" 

Feminism is a political ideology? Oy. This is precisely why I can no longer watch The Handmaid's Tale. Starting to feel like a foreboding forecast of a future that's sitting right on our doorstep. (And, speaking of Handmaid's, Joy trapping Paula in the Aunt Lydia/unattractive statement was *chef's kiss* a beautiful thing.)

Totally agree with the majority here re: Samantha Bee. As Joy says, "So what, who cares." The MSM press is such an easily manipulated tool of this administration. 

BUT, I have one teeny, tiny qualm with Joy: comedians are not a protected class. I can't stand the way she treats comedy like some righteous, noble cause above reproach that's been hounded for thousands of years. It's not. Now, when this administration weighs-in on cancelling TV shows--that's a 1A problem. But the general backlash comedians get? It's part of the job. 

• Love 14
3 minutes ago, Ms. Anthrope said:

Could not agree more, @GHScorpiosRule. In fact, I wish when issues of race/racism come up on the show, Sara would defer her position and instead ask Sunny or Whoppi or Ana how they feel. When you are the person of privilege in a situation that involves an -ism (racism, sexism, antisemitism, etc.) your job, is to listen and learn. Of course, the caveat to this being: said privileged person has to give a shit about change in order to take a step back and have a desire to fully understand the situation. That's what makes a good ally and advocate. And lord knows that's what the world needs a lot more of right now. 

Paula. Wow. Her arguing against a child's t-shirt that says "women and men are equal" was, well, frightening. Speaks to the hideous beast of internalized misogyny which never fails to freak me out. So many women still accepting and believing, "Yup, I'm less than!" 

Feminism is a political ideology? Oy. This is precisely why I can no longer watch The Handmaid's Tale. Starting to feel like a foreboding forecast of a future that's sitting right on our doorstep. (And, speaking of Handmaid's, Joy trapping Paula in the Aunt Lydia/unattractive statement was *chef's kiss* a beautiful thing.)

Totally agree with the majority here re: Samantha Bee. As Joy says, "So what, who cares." The MSM press is such an easily manipulated tool of this administration. 

BUT, I have one teeny, tiny qualm with Joy: comedians are not a protected class. I can't stand the way she treats comedy like some righteous, noble cause above reproach that's been hounded for thousands of years. It's not. Now, when this administration weighs-in on cancelling TV shows--that's a 1A problem. But the general backlash comedians get? It's part of the job. 

Joy does give more leeway to comics who say offensive things.   I however do not. Just because someone is making a joke doesn't mean they get a pass for being a dick.

• Love 6
5 hours ago, blondiec0332 said:

Just another way to try to excuse offensive behavior. 

Paula might be less screechy than Meghan but I don't like her.  There is a smugness to her that irks me.  

This is exactly how I feel.

• Love 9
19 minutes ago, blondiec0332 said:

Joy does give more leeway to comics who say offensive things.   I however do not. Just because someone is making a joke doesn't mean they get a pass for being a dick.

Let's not forget that Whoopie who is a comedian,  suffered consequences for her bad jokes. She offended the left, when she had her White boyfriend, dress up in Black face, eating watermelon and using the N word. Then, she offended the right, by making a vulgar joke, about Bush. So, comedians facing a backlash is nothing new.  

• Love 5
5 hours ago, blondiec0332 said:

This, and I find her boring also.

• Love 12
Just now, Tunia said:

This, and I find her boring also.

Paula's saving grace for me, was how she used to get under Whoopie's skin.  She used to get a kick out of it. Paula never let Whoopie push her around like Sunny or run away and cry like Rosie O.

• Love 7
10 hours ago, NotinKansasanymore said:

Why I didn't mind the feminist t shirt I did understand Paula's point of it might not being the best idea to use your children for your own beliefs. I can still remember so clearly flying with my father on a southwest flight many years ago, and this woman had two small children, a baby, and was clearly pregnant again. She put the baby in a pro-life onesie, the other child wore a shirt that said My mommy loved me, and chose life. The third had a shirt that said, when times get hard real mothers choose life. 

My jaw just hung open. Like I said I didn't have a problem with the feminist shirt but I do think parents can go to far in the clothing they put on their children.

THAT was not too far!!!  It was idiotic!!!

• Love 10

This past week, Meghan mispronounced a word and I don't think it was mentioned here.  She was talking about a biographical movie (it may have been her dad's one--I don't remember) and referred to it as a "bi-OP-ic" instead of a "BIO-PIC."

• Love 6

I was late watching the show, but as soon as I saw the panel I was happy. Joy as moderator, Ana, and no Meghan. I wish Samantha Bee hadn't apologized. I am sick to death of effing pearl clutchers who are offended by everything. Some women are c*nts, and I'll call them that. But it is one of those words that only certain people can use. If a man says it, I'll be pissed. Sane people look at the history of why certain language is considered vulgar. 

• Love 5
12 hours ago, Gemma Violet said:

This past week, Meghan mispronounced a word and I don't think it was mentioned here.  She was talking about a biographical movie (it may have been her dad's one--I don't remember) and referred to it as a "bi-OP-ic" instead of a "BIO-PIC."

bi-OP-ic is incorrect? Bio-Pic sounds wrong.

• Love 1
On 2018-06-01 at 10:33 PM, Medicine Crow said:

Personally, "feckless twit or twat" would have got her point across just the same as the "c" word.  I'm not crazy about it!!

Yes, what’s really annoying is that the focus is on Sam rather than Roseanne.  Really stupid miscue.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, Haleth said:

Biographical (motion) picture.  Bio-pic.

That makes sense, it just isn't how I usually read it.  Thanks.

43 minutes ago, WarnerCL45 said:

Yes, what’s really annoying is that the focus is on Sam rather than Roseanne.  Really stupid miscue.

It's the usual deflect. Roseanne said something abhorrent, look, look at the evil liberal who used the C word.  Many of us may be upset or roll our eyes at one, but one of these things is not like the other.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, nokat said:

Many of us may be upset or roll our eyes at one, but one of these things is not like the other.

No - but it still takes the attention off Roseanne.  I saw a newsbit (not interested enough to read the whole article) that's she's crying on TV now.  sigh

• Love 1
9 hours ago, nokat said:

That makes sense, it just isn't how I usually read it.  Thanks.

It's the usual deflect. Roseanne said something abhorrent, look, look at the evil liberal who used the C word.  Many of us may be upset or roll our eyes at one, but one of these things is not like the other.

Calling the daughter of the president of the United States a c word is egregious. I’m sure Joy, Sunny and Whoopi would be flipping out if a comedian called one of the Obama daughters a c word.

12 minutes ago, Ohboy said:

Calling the daughter of the president of the United States a c word is egregious. I’m sure Joy, Sunny and Whoopi would be flipping out if a comedian called one of the Obama daughters a c word.

I'll have to disagree with you. There are many egregious things happening, calling that bitch a C*nt is not among the egregious. But yes, lets ignore the horrible stuff, because naughty word.

• Love 14
59 minutes ago, Ohboy said:

Agree.  No need for THE word.  The use of the word has taken away from the point she was trying to make regarding immigration.  Sorry, Samantha, not impressed.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Ohboy said:

Maybe because they aren't c*nts. Deflect away.

• Love 12

Yes - the words should not be used that are foul. Like the f, c, n, a and other words. IMO Just like MM calling out Hogg for using the f-word in a speech  on the show- when she does as well use the word.

But racism is an entirely different thing as they also pointed out. 

When one is an advisor to the POTUS they are in the public realm and deserve attention. They are no longer private citizens like other presidents children.

• Love 11
(edited)
1 hour ago, Ohboy said:

Edited by mbutterfly

I remember when Amy Carter was called a dog back in the day-- when she was a young child.  Chelsea Clinton was also derided for her looks very cruelly by Rush Limbaugh and others. I don't remember any such mean-ness towards the Bush daughters, and their drinking escapades were hushed up mostly.  Public figures, all. 

It's not a new low. 

And yes, I agree that Ivanka is part of the administration as well and should have been more aware of the ill-timed "optics" in relation to her father's inhuman tactics of separating children from theory parents.  

I don't like the c-word, although it's becoming more accepted in the U S as in Britain, so the pearl clutching is a bit much. Then again, Sam Bee didn't have to "go low" .  I want Sam and other comics to be smarter than that,  even foregoing the shock value/laughs of naughty words. But, yes, it's DEFLECTION  big time from Roseanne's racist tweet.   

And yes, RACIST  comments are much more horrible because they're dehumanizing. 

Joy is 100% right that the racist AND misogynistic statements and "jokes" by Drumf have made closet racists think that it's ok to say those things more openly--  out loud and online.

This is a new low in the U.S. 

• Love 17