Type keyword(s) to search

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. in the Media

• Start Topic

(edited)

We still don't know the fate of the other Marvel show in development (the one rumored to be Ms Marvel).

What happened to Ms. Marvel being on the theatrical movie track?  I mean I KNOW it didn't wind up there, since they rolled out the slate of movies and it wasn't on the list (EDIT - nope. I was wrong--its late 2018), but when did it go from that to a distant rumor of a TV show?

Really, it sounds too much in competition with Supergirl (even if the actual heroines are very different in implementation).  

Unless the Ms. Marvel TV idea is the Muslim Ms., not Carol Danvers (who's concept they may be calling Captain Marvel now)?

Edited by Kromm
Unless the Ms. Marvel TV idea is the Muslim Ms., not Carol Danvers (who's concept they may be calling Captain Marvel now)?

Exactly. Carol Danvers is Captain Marvel and will be a theatrical movie. It's actually unclear what this unknown project is about - Ms Marvel is an unsubstantiated rumor going on (which does sound weird because Ms Marvel is apparently supposed to be a fan of Carol Danvers whose movie isn't out for quite some time).

Exactly. Carol Danvers is Captain Marvel and will be a theatrical movie. It's actually unclear what this unknown project is about - Ms Marvel is an unsubstantiated rumor going on (which does sound weird because Ms Marvel is apparently supposed to be a fan of Carol Danvers whose movie isn't out for quite some time).

Will Captain Marvel maybe exist before the late 2018 movie?  Could Captain America: Civil War conceivably squeeze yet another new character in and just show her doing her business but avoiding her origin maybe?

I think they haven't even cast her yet, and Cap 2 is going to be overstuffed already. I doubt that, but who knows. I also don't know anything about comics, is she supposed to be a part of the Civil War storyline?

I think they haven't even cast her yet, and Cap 2 is going to be overstuffed already. I doubt that, but who knows. I also don't know anything about comics, is she supposed to be a part of the Civil War storyline?

Seems like she WAS and got displaced (in fact, she was supposed to be in the movie we just SAW as well...)

http://geektyrant.com/news/new-details-on-the-future-of-hulk-and-scarlet-witch-in-the-mcu

As for Scarlet Witch, it looks like the next time we'll see her after Age of Ultron will be in Captain America: Civil War, which is something that was previously rumored. In another interview with Badass Digest, we learn that a few of the shots meant for Captain Marvel in Age of Ultron went to Scarlet Witch, including her costume reveal at the end of the movie. Feige explains:

"The way we reveal Scarlet Witch [in costume] at the end of the movie? Those were Captain Marvel plate shots. Joss said, ‘We’ll cast her later!’ And I said, ‘Yeah Joss, we’ll cast her later.’ [Whispers to an invisible associate who isn't Joss] ‘We’re not putting her in there!’"

He then confirms that she will make the move to Civil War saying:

"Finally Joss was like ‘Let’s use those plates to let Scarlet Witch fly into frame, give her a big entrance?’ And that makes sense - she’s come to their side, and she deserves the cool intro, which will feed into another movie we start shooting in a few weeks."

The movie they start shooting in a few weeks is Captain America: Civil War. So there ya have it! There's no word on how big her role will be in the film, but she'll be there.

Also:

WHEDON Reveals Scrapped Plans for SPIDER-MAN & CAPTAIN MARVEL in AVENGERS: AGE OF ULTRON

Ms. Marvel - Kamala Khan - is currently very popular. Her origin is very simple (she's an Inhuman shapeshifter), and she doesn't have to be a fan of Carol's per se. She could simply be one of the legions of post-Avengers superhero fans (the group that hangs out in front of Avengers Tower) who discovered she had powers.

Carol Danvers was one of the lead supporters of the Registration Act (i.e. Tony Stark's side) in the comics. Cap is probably too big to introduce her. Carol *might* be one of the superheroes alluded to in Iron Man 1 ("you think you're the only superhero?"), as Jessica Jones appears to be. Although her absence thus far is odd. She's a Kree-human hybrid, via accident, but that could be tweaked a bit and she might very well show up in the next Guardians of the Galaxy film (maybe they rescue her from Kree and send her back to Earth) or even the first part of Infinity War. Her movie is currently the lead-in to Infinity War Part 2.

Yeah, Cap 3, of course :) I mistyped. I think Carol Danvers isn't well known enough to appear without getting an origin story. Personally, I've never heard about her pre-comicbook craze (and I definitely never heard of Kamala Khan), while I had at least heard of all other MCU movie heroes (except Guardians of Galaxy).

Yeah, Cap 3, of course :) I mistyped. I think Carol Danvers isn't well known enough to appear without getting an origin story. Personally, I've never heard about her pre-comicbook craze (and I definitely never heard of Kamala Khan), while I had at least heard of all other MCU movie heroes (except Guardians of Galaxy).

I've never heard of this, too. But i think it would be good.

I think that a series about a Muslim Pakistani girl would fit in with the recent push for diversity on TV. Anyway, I'll be glad just to get a female superhero, not enough of those by far.

• Love 1
(edited)

I think that a series about a Muslim Pakistani girl would fit in with the recent push for diversity on TV. Anyway, I'll be glad just to get a female superhero, not enough of those by far.

Well to be fair to them the MCU's first TV superhero is a Chinese-American female. And Kamala is an Inhuman who was affected by the bomb so they will either wait till Infinity Wars/Inhumans to introduce her or have to ret con her

Edited by Humbugged

Well, we have the Inhumans already, can she be connected to that?

Well to be fair to them the MCU's first TV superhero is a Chinese-American female.

Not many seem to acknowledge that, I'm afraid. But overall, Marvel has a really good female TV presence, they are so much better than DC. The Flash and Gotham are especially big offenders.

If Ms. Marvel is going to be a tv series the can introduce her on AoS since she is an Inhuman. Then spin her off to her own show which would be better then a show about Bobbi and Hunter being that that show couldn't be that different from AoS. 

• Love 1

Word on the street is that Shield/Carter will air either Tue or Wed at 10 following a comedy 4X block on either night.

I think ABC wanted to do this last fall but didn't have the pieces in place to launch another comedy night, and now they do.

"Her origin is very simple (she's an Inhuman shapeshifter), and she doesn't have to be a fan of Carol's per se. She could simply be one of the legions of post-Avengers superhero fans (the group that hangs out in front of Avengers Tower) who discovered she had powers."

She's already a general superhero fan in the comic (this is a girl who told Wolverine about how popular a fanfic she wrote starring him was, after all). It'd be a shame losing the specificity of Carol being her favourite, but she could still work very well.

(Sorry about the bad quoting, my browser doesn't show me the proper tools even in a full reply view.)

(edited)

(Sorry about the bad quoting, my browser doesn't show me the proper tools even in a full reply view.)

You can do it without the tools.  It's just:

[quote]This is what I want to quote![/quote]
Which produces:

This is what I want to quote!

=================

You can also tweak the opening quote bracket to indicate who you are quoting and when/where it's from:

[quote name="James Moar" post="1126057" timestamp="1431178896"]It'd be a shame losing the specificity of Carol being her favourite, but she could still work very well.[/quote]

Which produces:

It'd be a shame losing the specificity of Carol being her favourite, but she could still work very well.

Edited by Kromm
Forbes magazine put up a season finale review. However it does not spoil but makes the case for Agents survival.

http://www.forbes.co...-season-finale/

From that article:

"Everything that occurs does so with forceful purpose and the clearest vision ever brought to Marvel’s small screen division (in some ways, it even tops the all too perfectly constructed Daredevil on Netflix."

That's setting the bar pretty high -- because Daredevil was pretty awesome.  

This also isn't the first time I've read about AoS "going there" in the finale.  Somehow I don't see Cal killing a man by slamming his head in a car door so many times that he eventually decapitates him (this show is on ABC after all).  I just don't have my hopes very high for whatever "going there" turns out to be.

And I saw a promo for the AoS finale all about how Skye has to make a decision.  Never saw that coming.  <sarcasm>

(edited)

Yeah, I thought about "going there" and what I would be shocked to see the show address. Here is what I came up with:

1. Sheild funding - the C-Span appropriations coverage.

2. Vacation balance - someone audits the books and figures out nobody is taking their vacation and the obligation looks bad, so everyone has to take a week off and visit their relatives. - With reality show coverage...  Skye, I'm not sure if family kidnappings count. You'll have to check the manual.

Edited by BPOX
  • Love 3

I thought this was funny from an interview with Jeffrey Bell about filming Whitehall cutting up Jiaying.

Though ABC had qualms, the network was fine with the sequence in the end. “They’re much more concerned that you might catch just slightest bit of side boob,” says Bell. “Honestly, we joke that you could have somebody’s head cut off and blood spurting, but if that person had a little side boob, they’d say, ‘I’m sorry, you’re going to have to blur that boob.’”

https://www.yahoo.com/tv/agents-of-s-h-i-e-l-d-season-finale-jeffrey-118777273720.html

(edited)

I thought it was phenomenal finale. It had a lot of moving parts, great action and the bad people are either dead, mind wiped or still bad. There's no stupid redemption arc of the villain so they can be BFF's with hero team. 

I have no idea why The Flash does so well, that show is terrible. The writing is juvenile at best and the main hero acts like a whiny teenager despite being a 25 year old CSI with super powers. I suppose people like watching the hero make the same stupid mistakes over and over again for 23 episodes. I don't think Barry's learned a single lesson this season. That show is not doing anything for me. I'll probably stop watching after the finale. 

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 3

I like the Flash but I have to say the one thing AoS does far better is the way it writes women. Skye, May, Simmons and Bobbi are all just as complex as their male counterparts and none of them are their for a man or for a man's approval.

I mean could you imagine AoS having a scene where a female character's boyfriend and father discuss who gets to make decisions for her. (Yep, actually happened on The Flash).

• Love 1

The Flash finale airs next week. Yes, the Flash is shiny CGI more than action, it's red and yellow lines fighting each other. Arrow at least had the stunts going for it. The storylines are just dumb, predictable and repetitive. 

I was at least surprised by some of things that happened in the AoS finale. There was more than one storyline going on and each one had a purpose and was entertaining. The deaths were not just there for shock, they had reasons either the actor got a new show or they deserved to die. Ward still does but I do think that's coming up next season, they need a villain and he's the best choice for a continuing one. 

I still think that AoS pales in comparison to Agent Carter and Daredevil, but I feel like it's been steadily improving. It's got too large of a cast for the amount of character development we've seen in the other shows, but the writers have made some interesting/surprising choices (mostly with Cal and Ward). It's never going to be as narratively tight and fast-paced as the other shows due to having a longer season, but it's at least on par with the better films.

• Love 2
The Flash finale airs next week.

Ah, I've thought the latest episode was the finale. Shows how much I'm invested, haha.

I still think that AoS pales in comparison to Agent Carter and Daredevil, but I feel like it's been steadily improving.

Yeah, me too. I've really enjoyed the second half of season 2 and I feel like the show is on a roll.

Yes, the Flash is shiny CGI more than action, it's red and yellow lines fighting each other. Arrow at least had the stunts going for it.

Arrow was a genuinely better show even early in season one.

I have to say the one thing AoS does far better is the way it writes women.

Iris has gotten loads better in the last two episodes, though, now that she's in on the secret (which she never should have been kept out of, because seriously?).

(edited)

This an interesting interview with Jeffrey Bell about the finale.

http://variety.com/2015/tv/news/agents-of-shield-finale-skye-caterpillars-simmons-season-3-1201494067/

They are up for more Agent Carter flashbacks if Hayley's up for it and can do them. 

This stood out to me.

Let’s begin with the most pressing concern after the finale — the status of Simmons. How did you arrive at the decision to leave the audience with such an evil cliffhanger, especially since Simmons is the character who has been the most mistrustful of alien artifacts this season?

Bell: I don’t know if it’s evil… Who knows, maybe that thing took her to Disneyland and she’s riding on the “Cars” ride, having the time of her life! [Laughs.] When we first started talking about the Monolith, we knew that it needed to present a threat and we needed to demonstrate some of that threat and the promise of more story, because — this is gonna shock you — we want more people to watch next year, because we like when people watch our show. It’s easy to kill a character for shock value or whatever, and we did have a number of deaths this season, but I don’t think they were so much for shock value as the hopefully understandable logic of the characters and the stories. We prefer to leave you with something to talk about, to walk away with.

I think some other shows should take note of this. Killing off characters for shock value most often does not give you more story to tell, since all they thought about was the shock of the death and rarely pay attention to the aftermath. I think characters should only be killed off, if the actor/actress wants to leave, the character is not working (after previous attempts to fix said character) and if the death is logical or actually going to move the story along. Shock value should never be a reason. 

Agent Carter and Daredevil were far better shows, but I was comparing AoS to Flash since they are the same night and competing with each other. To me AoS is far better than The Flash. 

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 3

Iris has gotten loads better in the last two episodes, though, now that she's in on the secret (which she never should have been kept out of, because seriously?).

Iris is forever the love interest. She's fine by herself, but the show won't let her be awesome without a man. It's pretty clear that in this world, women aren't characters, they are just male appendages. It's horrible and off-putting.

Also, I cannot stand Barry/Iris, they're just as bad as Lauriver for me. I'm sick of shows forcing "endgame" pairings down my throat. At least Daredevil and AoS understand it.

(edited)

I don't mind if the EP's have an "endgame" pairing in mind. provided the writers aren't shoving it in my face every episode. They can let endgame pairing still flow naturally. No need to shove me at them. 

I do like an AoS there is no forced shipping. Some shippers will ship anything no one can help that. But they aren't shoving a ship in our faces. Even though I don't like the idea of Fitz and Simmons, I can fanwank that Simmons is confusing her feelings of losing Fitz to loving him because of seeing Bobbi and Hunter. They haven't done anything to make me think that SImmons loved Fitz (as anything more than friend) prior that to that. I can still form my own opinion. Also they won't be able to act on it either since Simmons was taken by an Alien object and most likely won't be back as OurSimmons. 

FurryFury no need to watch the Flash ep, I'll give you a rundown.

Barry was an idiot and didn't listen to anyone on his team again, got defeated again, all the pipeline prisoners escaped because of prior idiocy and had to use a team to take down Wells (which I think was still part of Wells' plan). His "team" was random appearances by Arrow al Ghul and Firestorm both promptly left after the fight was over. Caitlin did nothing, Cisco made some tech and gave a villain a stupid name that makes no sense besides "because comics". Joe mostly stood around giving advice to Barry that he always ignores. Iris saved Caitlin, Eddie broke up with her and told her she marries Barry, then she disappeared for the rest of the episode.

The End.

Edited by Cranberry
It's fair game in the Flash forum, but people don't expect to see spoilers for other shows in this one, so we spoiler tag! :)
  • Love 5
(edited)

Thanks! You know, I probably won't, sounds awful and predictable. Also, I really hate one of the guest stars and I'm meh on the other.

I don't mind if the EP's have an "endgame" pairing in mind. provided the writers aren't shoving it in my face every episode. They can let endgame pairing still flow naturally. No need to shove me at them.

Maybe it's because I haven't really seen any show that worked really well when there was a pairing designated "official and 100% endgame" since the first episode. There are a few where it wasn't quite horrible when I've seen it first (Farscape, Alias) but then I've rewatched it years later and was disappointed in them. Still, one thing being disappointed later in the run and the other thing is hating it from the get-go. I could have probably stomached The Flash for one more year, provided they keep Tom Cavanaugh, if not for West Allen, they just ruin my enjoyment of the show because they influence a lot of other stuff on it.

Edited by FurryFury

Will Captain Marvel maybe exist before the late 2018 movie?  Could Captain America: Civil War conceivably squeeze yet another new character in and just show her doing her business but avoiding her origin maybe?

God help them if they add a character whose power is to create mint wafers...

• Love 1

He was kind of dull overall, but I loved him on The Tomorrow People, so I still am hopeful.  Hopefully, the events from the finale will allow him to be more then just basically a henchman/guide/glorified background dude.

That said, is Henry Simmons still only a guest?  If so, then what does Mack have to do to get some love?  The man helped Fitz, has great chemistry with almost everyone, doesn't mind confronting Coulson, and can probably benchpress The Hulk (OK, that's an exaggeration, I know!)  If that doesn't deserve regular status, I don't know what will...

• Love 1

Yay! I, for one, liked Lincoln. I didn't love him, but I thought he was a good character in season 2. He was also very underused, mostly there to fill an Inhuman spot other than Skye and her mother and Gordon and Raina. Also, I thought they were setting up Skye/Lincoln as a romantic pairing anyway. I think his character has potential and with him as a regular, there's no worry about him getting killed off right away. 

Now, just promote Henry Simmons and we can all be happy! Also...maybe, perhaps bump Brett Dalton to recurring instead of regular. Switch him out with Henry, actually, and I'd be very happy. 

• Love 2
(edited)

Yeah I'd take Mac over Lincoln any day, in fact I'd take Mac over Hunter as well. I don't think they'll make Ward recurring because they probably have big plans for his arc in s3 and having an actor without a contract can screw these plans up. And really, he was regular this year but was in like half of the episodes or maybe 2/3 at best.

PS Aaand I've just read that the pairing of Skye and Lincoln is called SkyLink. Which is just hilarious.

Edited by FurryFury
  • Love 2

I liked Lincoln, definitely the best Inhuman character, so I am totally on board him coming back as a regular. I think he has a lot of potential, both as a friend/possible love interest to Skye, and someone the rest of the team can get to know, to see that being an Inhuman does not mean being a bad person. It actually might make Skye`s life a lot easier, having another super powered person around. This could work. But I just cannot believe that Henry Simmons is not a regular yet! Yeah the cast is big, but whats one more guy? Mack is awesome! Henry Simmons is awesome! Easy! And, while we`re at it, more Deathlock, please? I liked his interactions with Lincoln, and now that he`s coming back, we are half way to a pretty good super hero team. 

And it does not hurt that I think the guy playing Lincoln is really attractive. I`m shallow, sue me. 

Word on the street is that Shield/Carter will air either Tue or Wed at 10 following a comedy 4X block on either night.

I think ABC wanted to do this last fall but didn't have the pieces in place to launch another comedy night, and now they do.

This isn't feeble!

Yeah, the cast is huge.  While I like a lot of the characters on the show, the biggest problem for me is that there are just too many of them.  I'm glad Henry Simmons is sticking around, but not looking forward to another season of having to follow about 20 different characters and their individual plotlines...

So...ten series regulars, then? I think that's a bit much, but I also don't really want to see anyone leave either. If I had to choose I'd get rid of Lincoln or Hunter or Ward though. Glad they're keeping Mac around and I think the writers have been handling having a large cast pretty decently.

Hopefully this is Ward's last season. He's been a lot of fun since the Hydra reveal, and I think the writers have been great about refusing to redeem him. He should make for a fun villain this year, but I'd like to see his story end this season and I'm surprised they haven't killed him off yet.

• Love 1

Ten isn't too bad if they're not all appearing in every episode. Certain key ones (the core five mostly... Coulson, Skye, May, Fitz and Simmons) will probably be in every episode to some degree, but most of the others (Lincoln, Hunter, Bobbie, Mac, and particularly Ward), might only be in half the episodes next season.

If you keep the core five and then only use 2 of the other four agents in any given episode you're only looking at seven character (eight with Ward) in any given episode... probably split 4/3 between the A/B plot or 3/2/2 if they have a C-plot running. That's not too unmanageable at all.

• Love 1

It also helps that it looks like Ward is going to be the big bad (or at least one big bad). Think about how much time they spend developing the bad guys (Garrett, Cal, Jiaying, Raina) that they don't have to do here. And as it was last year, Mac might as well have been a regular, especially during the last half of the season. I think they've proven that they can handle a cast of this size.

• Love 1
(edited)

So...ten series regulars, then? I think that's a bit much, but I also don't really want to see anyone leave either. If I had to choose I'd get rid of Lincoln or Hunter or Ward though. Glad they're keeping Mac around and I think the writers have been handling having a large cast pretty decently.

Oh, ten's not so many.  Grey's Anatomy has way more than thatModern Family has eleven.  Once Upon a Time falls just short with nine.

Still, glad to see that Lincoln and Mack will be main characters next season! :)

Edited by Donny Ketchum
(edited)

10 isn't really that bad, especially if they use them the way they did this past season. Where they may appear in a lot of episodes however they aren't having their own story every time. True Blood had this problem, one of the major reasons I stopped watching in like season 3, because the story never moved forward and there was like 20 characters.

Also as Kennyab said, Ward being the main villain means no more developing random people to be in that role.

Edited by blueray
  • Love 1

I am actually suspecting he won´t be the sole villain anyway. I mean, if we look at the show, Season 1 had Raina, Garret, Ward and that sleazy guy who looked like Ken Marino's and Tahmoh Penikett's love child (forgot his name, sorry). Season 2 had Whitehall (and Hydra in general), Cal, Ward, Agent 33 and Jiaying. I'm sure there will be other bad guys, some working with Ward, some working against him. 

• Love 1