Type keyword(s) to search

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. in the Media

• Start Topic

(edited)

Apparently there's going to be a surprise female character appearing on Age of Ultron. It could be Mockingbird if they want to introduce her into the MCU. 

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/7-Marvel-Women-Who-Could-Make-Surprise-Avengers-2-Appearance-70751.html

Well honestly I'm assuming it's Carol Danvers.  Who we know is coming anyway, so the "surprise" here would be an early entry/intro into the franchise (since the movie for her isn't due for another 3 1/2 years).  Perhaps by being introduced AS Carol Danvers and not as Captain Marvel.

Jennifer Walters is at least a second runner up, if she's part of some long term plan to make the Hulk franchise a little more viewer friendly, since She-Hulk is a far more viewer friendly extension of that franchise than Bruce.  Pretty unlikely though, since there isn't a Hulk movie on the Marvel schedule.

There's also been a rumor that the Black Panther franchise, although already cast with a guy, could be introduced with the female Black Panther (Shuri, his sister).  I can't find the link anymore but there was some shot in the trailer for the Avengers film that someone freeze framed that looked like the female Panther.  It's a weird thing to play as a "surprise" for the viewing audience though, since virtually nobody knows the female Panther exists, or to be frank, cares about the character (Shuri was the lead of the comic book for 12 issues and the world basically didn't notice at all).

A Danvers intro isn't that weird an idea, because Captain Marvel and Black Panther are due out the same year (2018) and if they've cast Black Panther it's not that odd to think they may have already cast Carol Danvers too.

I'd CAST Danvers with a slightly too young actress at this point.  Introduce her in the military, then circle back to her in 2018 implying she's much more mature.

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 1
(edited)

(I guess this is new information: Article was just posted today. But, it's hard to keep track of all the Marvel-related TV developments.)

From James Hibberd @ EW.com:  Marvel developing Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. spinoff for ABC -- exclusive

We’re told a spinoff is being developed by SHIELD executive producer Jeffrey Bell (Angel, The X-Files) and SHIELD writer Paul Zbyszewski (Lost, Hawaii Five-0).

We don’t know is which characters from the current series will be moving over to the proposed spinoff – so let the speculation being on that. There won’t be an implanted pilot episode this season directly setting up the spinoff, either (like how CW launched The Flash out of Arrow). However, story elements that are still to come on SHIELD this year will be used to lay the groundwork for the potential new series. So by the end of the season – assuming the details for this project haven’t already leaked, which is rather unlikely – the spinoff concept should be clear.

The article also lists Agent Carter's chance at a second season at "roughly 60 percent."

Edited by Just Here
(edited)

I think Carter is a decent bet if only because it works as a kind of easy stand alone.There's very little jugging needing to be done to dovetail it into the MCU.  Admittedly the most sensible TV projects are going to be the movie-synergistic ones, but if they go with anything non-synergistic, then planting it in the past is the way to go.

Edited by Kromm

Well honestly I'm assuming it's Carol Danvers.  Who we know is coming anyway, so the "surprise" here would be an early entry/intro into the franchise (since the movie for her isn't due for another 3 1/2 years).  Perhaps by being introduced AS Carol Danvers and not as Captain Marvel.

Jennifer Walters is at least a second runner up, if she's part of some long term plan to make the Hulk franchise a little more viewer friendly, since She-Hulk is a far more viewer friendly extension of that franchise than Bruce.  Pretty unlikely though, since there isn't a Hulk movie on the Marvel schedule.

There's also been a rumor that the Black Panther franchise, although already cast with a guy, could be introduced with the female Black Panther (Shuri, his sister).  I can't find the link anymore but there was some shot in the trailer for the Avengers film that someone freeze framed that looked like the female Panther.  It's a weird thing to play as a "surprise" for the viewing audience though, since virtually nobody knows the female Panther exists, or to be frank, cares about the character (Shuri was the lead of the comic book for 12 issues and the world basically didn't notice at all).

A Danvers intro isn't that weird an idea, because Captain Marvel and Black Panther are due out the same year (2018) and if they've cast Black Panther it's not that odd to think they may have already cast Carol Danvers too.

I'd CAST Danvers with a slightly too young actress at this point.  Introduce her in the military, then circle back to her in 2018 implying she's much more mature.

They ruled out Carol previously when they cast Mrs Hawkeye and t'other one last week .Direct question as well.

And just to point out that the actual quote was a 'familiar  female character  to the MCU' .Makes it sound as if we already have seen whoever it is.

So who is in the  roster of MCU females that hasn't popped up in the many,many casting titbits .

Agent 13 (now there is a character that might get TV time if Revenge gets cancelled) ,Jane and Darcy ,Pepper ,Sif

and then the  SHIELD 3 of Skye ,May or Bobbi if its as Coulson's sidekick if he gets his 'hey look I'm alive scene'

Agent 13 (now there is a character that might get TV time if Revenge gets cancelled) ,Jane and Darcy ,Pepper ,Sif

and then the  SHIELD 3 of Skye ,May or Bobbi if its as Coulson's sidekick if he gets his 'hey look I'm alive scene'

Lets think ahead and maybe see who it makes SENSE to introduce into the films (whether they're already in the TV MCU or are brand new to all of the MCU).  I think maybe if they're tossed out in this surprise fashion in the Ultron film, it's likely to be a setup for Cap 3: Civil War.

I'd have thought Emily Van Camp is a hot enough prospect overall that she'd be a sure thing by the time we get to Cap 3, TV show to work around or not. That said, THAT film is only a year away (so probably filming right now as we read this) and she's not part of the acknowledged cast.  However I think they're being really quiet about a lot of who's in that film, so she certainly could be.

Really, calling it a Captain America movie is a misnomer anyway.  It's an Avengers film without the title.  But I bet this time bulked out with the co-stars specifically from the Cap and Iron Man solo films, because the plot will orbit around the two of them as opposing forces.  So I'd say Agent 13 AND Pepper will both be in Cap 3.  In a way though that makes me think either of them is LESS likely in the Ultron film, because... why?  You don't need a hook in the Ultron film to draw them into Civil War.  Then again, you don't need it for anyone who's been in SHIELD either.  That's why I think it's probably someone totally out of left field, who we otherwise would need to introduce in Cap 3, and doing so in the Ultron film is just saving time/laying groundwork.

I DO wonder what, if anything, they plan to do with Coulson in the films.  It's not like he needs to be INTRODUCED there, since that's his origin.  But there's so much "outside the films" explanation/exposition needed to have him in the films again, since the filmmakers can't for even a moment assume an MCU film viewer has seen even a single Agents of SHIELD episode (nor should they).

Edited by Kromm

Agents of SWORD?  In a way that could work well, because even moreso than Agents of SHIELD it ties into the upcoming cycle of movies that are going to more openly mix the space-based Marvel movies with the Earth based ones.  So you insert Olmos' character, and his outright fearmongering (albeit not completely baseless fearmongering given stuff that's happened in the MCU) with him ceding the normal ground enforcement role to a revived Fury SHIELD (we all suspect Coulson's leadership isn't going to survive the Civil War movie, if it's even in place again after the Ultron film--so Agents of SHIELD if its still on the air would probably revert to Coulson simply running a team).

Abigail Brand, or some parallel to her, would seem to be a necessary component.  Maybe she's who we should be keeping an eye out for in terms of surprise movie appearances.  

Technically Brand is a mutant, but they can do a Quake and simply un-mutant her, since she's too recent a character to be inherently part of the Fox mutant deal.

Eh, could be worse, could be better. being way too PG was a common criticism of the first season, after all.

Oh.  Well it certainly wasn't one of my criticisms.  But I'm entirely sick of the "Darker and Edgier" trend in general.

Edited by rujasu

This is kind of weird -- AoS ratings tick up slightly, but total viewers continues to gradually decline, now under 4 million.  That's not a good trend -- and you would have thought that with this latest episode being the big reveal of May's Cavalry backstory there would have garnered more interest, but apparently not.  Not only is it being substantially beaten in total viewers in its timeslot by NCIS (by over 10 million viewers), but it's also being beaten by Undateable (by over 2 million viewers, with similar ratings)

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2015/04/15/tv-ratings-tuesday-marvels-agents-of-s-h-i-e-l-d-person-of-interest-izombie-up-ncis-the-voice-down-the-flash-steady/389226/

• Love 1

And with the NCIS franchise waning (seriously, 1.9 in the demo for the flagship -- that's down 0.2 from last week and has to be one of the lowest figures in years), SHIELD holding steady in its ratings is totally fine.

Yeah, I was grinning at NCIS' fall (series low, AFAIK). Finally, the beginning of the end (sorry to the fans, I just hate all these crime procedurals with neverending spin-offs and wish networks were more creative and experimented more, like, say, The CW now does and they have had a pretty successful year).

Edited by FurryFury
  • Love 1

I don't know if this is the right thread, but I'm hoping the announcement of this spin-off, and a possible renewal of Agent Carter lets them back off the number of episodes going further. I think this show has some really good things going for it, but I've found its pacing a little plodding.

Something along the lines of:

AOS Fall Season: 9-10 episodes (September-November)

Agent Carter: 8 episodes (Jan-Feb)

AOS Spin-off: 7-8 epsidoes (Late Feb-Mid April)

AOS Spring Season: 8-9 episodes (Late April-June)...sets up MCU summer movie season.

That schedule lets you run meaty content through the Sweeps Months (do networks still care about Sweeps?) and forces them to tie everything off into more Comic Book-style arcs.

The guys on the Marvel Cinematic Universe podcast said on their April 15th release that Agents of SHIELD is ABCs single most profitable hour. I didn't catch the source of their analysis. I guess getting young men to watch without paying sports leagues a fee has its advantages. That Marvel Comics seems willing to shed the Fantastic Four and probably the X-Men because their money is made from movies now that force multiplier of a TV show is holding the line between releases is a business model that is hard to beat.

Speaking of which with a summer break coming with only The Ant Man providing new shows I can see a day when we have an Agent Carter as a winter break replacement and this rumored spin off as a summer replacement as Marvel attempts to give us 52 weeks of content.

• Love 2

Now the word is that John Ridley (12 Years a Slave, American Crime) is either working on the already announced spinoff, or another one entirely. My interest is definitely piqued.

Hasn't it been stated his show is Marvel, but NOT an AoS spin-off? The sources are kinda conflicting on that. Anyway, the spin-off is supposed to be helmed by Jeffrey Bell and some Lost/Hawaii 5-0 writer, not this guy.

Edited by FurryFury

Hasn't it been stated his show is Marvel, but NOT an AoS spin-off? The sources are kinda conflicting on that. Anyway, the spin-off is supposed to be helmed by Jeffrey Bell and some Lost/Hawaii 5-0 writer, not this guy.

I am hearing the opposite it is been compared to Angel splitting off from Buffy and rehabilitating cast from Buffy who were not liked like Cordelia and Wesley

I wasn't a part of Buffy fandom  back then but I think Cordelia was liked well enough (and Wesley wasn't part of Angel originally). And I meant that it's unclear about this Ridley guy having anything to do with the spinoff, not the spinoff existence that's in question.

a surprise female character appearing on Age of Ultron

They're on superhero casting overload as it is, so it might be something not-so-big -- like Gwyneth Paltrow or Natalie Portman reprising their roles.

'S.H.I.E.L.D.' leads into 'Avengers' sequel

The next two episodes, beginning Tuesday (9 ET/PT), will have Easter eggs, plot threads and other connective tissue leading into the opening scene of Avengers: Age of Ultron, in theaters May 1.

Ultron co-star Cobie Smulders reprises her role as former S.H.I.E.L.D. agent Maria Hill on the series, and the May 5 episode will bring the Avengers aftermath back to the small screen "for the five people who don't see the movie that week," says Bell.

• Love 1

Not sure where this goes, but some interesting news about the spin-off.  Some spoilers though, so approach with caution.

Even if the details are under wrap, the actual casting news is, by necessity, I think, public, so WHO the spinoff is about has really got to be considered public now.

I doubt many of us are really surprised.  It would have been nice if it was truly something new, but I guess they really were looking for a true spinoff vs. AoS just being a launching pad for another real tentpole for the MCU.

• Love 1

Nick Blood? Ugh, way to kill off my excitement. At least it will get him off AoS. I don't really have anything against the actor, but holy shit, does the character bore me. I do like Bobbi, but making it all about them as a couple is not the way to go. Reminds me of JJ Abrams' horrible Undercovers show a few years ago.

Edited by FurryFury

The guys on the Marvel Cinematic Universe podcast said on their April 15th release that Agents of SHIELD is ABCs single most profitable hour. I didn't catch the source of their analysis. I guess getting young men to watch without paying sports leagues a fee has its advantages. That Marvel Comics seems willing to shed the Fantastic Four and probably the X-Men because their money is made from movies now that force multiplier of a TV show is holding the line between releases is a business model that is hard to beat.

Yup, it's the mens demos, specifically men 18-34. AoS is allegedly the # 1 (non-sports) broadcast show in that demo and # 2 behind only TWD on television period. It's also beating New Orleans in adults 18-34 and 18-49 in C3, Live + 3, and Live + 7. And apparently its one of the most streamed shows as well though that data has never been made public.

Speaking of which with a summer break coming with only The Ant Man providing new shows I can see a day when we have an Agent Carter as a winter break replacement and this rumored spin off as a summer replacement as Marvel attempts to give us 52 weeks of content.

I don't think they'll waste any Marvel TV in summer. Rumors are that AoS & its spin-off will air back-to-back on Tue from 9-11 in the fall, and then Carter and the Ridley project will air in those slots together in Jan/Feb. Edited by Tiger
and then Carter and the Ridley project will air in those slots together in Jan/Feb.

Hope you're right (and that Ridley's project is indeed Ms Marvel - I don't know anything about the character but I'm all for more female-fronted shows).

The guys on the Marvel Cinematic Universe podcast said on their April 15th release that Agents of SHIELD is ABCs single most profitable hour. I didn't catch the source of their analysis.

I'm wondering if that includes franchise deals (comics, action figures, etc.)  

Nick Blood? Ugh, way to kill off my excitement. At least it will get him off AoS. I don't really have anything against the actor, but holy shit, does the character bore me. I do like Bobbi, but making it all about them as a couple is not the way to go. Reminds me of JJ Abrams' horrible Undercovers show a few years ago.

My feelings exactly... I have nothing against the guy or the character per se, but he's one of the least interesting characters on AoS to me right now.  Now it were Bobbi and Mack I would be all over that.

• Love 5

My feelings exactly... I have nothing against the guy or the character per se, but he's one of the least interesting characters on AoS to me right now.  Now it were Bobbi and Mack I would be all over that.

I was totally thinking the same thing watching the scene between Hunter and Mack.   Hunter is ok, but for some reason I like Mack better.  And I like his chemistry better with Bobbi as well.  I wish they would focus it around Bobbi and Mack. 

• Love 1

Interesting that the AoS episode leading in to the North American release of Avengers: Age of Ultron tied a series low in the ratings.  Regardless of the fact it's for sure going to be renewed, that can't be encouraging.  Plus it was beat by 'The Flash' in the ratings.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2015/04/29/tv-ratings-tuesday-the-flash-beats-marvels-agents-of-s-h-i-e-l-d-the-voice-ncis-chicago-fire-person-of-interest-down-izombie-up/396112/

Poor Gonzales gets bracketed by crazy people, top and bottom, in that artwork.

I have to say the sense of scale is wack-a-doodle too.  All different sized heads right next to each other.

I think it's just meant to be a crowded set of character images, not placing them in any sort of spatial relationship. The SHIELD side of the image has a bit of a size=rank thing going on.

(edited)

Mac's quitting was so obviously a set-up for something in the finale I didn't even mind. Well, I did mind because it hasn't been set up well, but still, it's clear it's not the end of the story.

No idea about Gonzalez, however. Maybe this picture was out before the latest episode and they didn't want to spoil his death? Or he has a copy like Koenigs? (Just kidding)

Edited by FurryFury
  • Love 1
(edited)
Looks like the spin off is not happening. Which I'm fine with I'd rather Bobbi and Hunter stay on SHIELD.

http://www.spoilertv...-not-going.html

I wonder if they are going to adjust the AoS season finale appropriately to reflect this change -- because if Bobbi and Hunter make some grand departure, it will be odd if they suddenly reappear next season for no apparent reason.

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
I wonder if they are going to adjust the AoS season finale appropriately to reflect this change

Pretty sure it's way too late in the production cycle to be making changes.

That spinoff was a shit idea anyway.  It was basically "more of the same", whereas what a new Marvel ABC show needs to be is something totally different.

Bring back Bobbi to AoS.  Ditch Hunter, because he's kind of extraneous. Find a totally other concept--a totally different part of the Marvel universe they haven't even touched yet--for the next potential Marvel show on ABC.  End of story.

• Love 3