Type keyword(s) to search

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. in the Media

• Start Topic

I found this article posted on Reddit today:

As season 3 of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. is behind us and season 4 is right around the corner I feel like now is the perfect time to toss out a few of my ideas for what should appear or happen in the upcoming season. First off let me say how glad I am that Skye/Daisy is no longer a part of S.H.I.E.L.D. I never liked her character, the way Marvel lied about her being an original character upon her debut, the swerve changing her from Mantis to Daisy Johnson, and the complete focus on her as the super special, only important person, can do no wrong Mary Sue! Semi rant aside, I think Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. needs to pull the focus off of Daisy and on to the actual organization of S.H.I.E.L.D. itself. With a new Director going to show up in season 4, my money is on Glenn Talbot,  now is the time to show us how agents are picked, trained, and move through the ranks. We already saw a little of this, but not enough to truly get a sense of what S.H.I.E.L.D. is really like when not on ongoing missions as the titular Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. have been on since season 1. In addition to getting more information on S.H.I.E.L.D. by pulling away from Daisy, we can also pull away from the whole Inhumans debacle and try to put some of that genie back in the bottle. 

Now I know many people like Daisy as a character and want more of her, but truly her presence has done more to derail the show from its ability to act as a bridge between MCU movies. In season 1 her focus was bearable because she was supposed to be our avatar into the world of the MCU and we had to learn her arc, but after 3 seasons of everyone fawning over her and decisions being based all around her, it will be nice to see the agents do what they do best and go after super villains too small scale for The Avengers and the other MCU heroes while also expanding the MCU as a whole with bits and pieces of every heroes backstory and secondary characters. 

http://thegeekgetaway.blogspot.com/2016/07/agents-of-shield-season-4-ideas-part-1.html

• Love 4

So, as long as they a) try to keep the character similar the character from the comics and b) keep the character supernatural base, I might be fine with them bringing Ghost Rider (and they are probably going to show Robbie and his brother) onto the show. 

(edited)

What do you want to bet that Ghost Rider is going to be Daisy's latest love interest now that she's gone goth and is on the run from S.H.I.E.L.D.?

Edited by kitlee625
  • Love 1

Depending on where it falls in the season I suppose Daisy/Robbie is possible, but given that its only three episodes I'd bet no.

My suspicion is that early s4 will be a 'how we got to here' deal that puts the Daisy gone AWOL scene into context. One prospect is that Ghost Rider's penance stare will come into play with Daisy's feelings of guilt over Lincoln's death and her actions under Hive's control.

I could certainly see that acting as some sort of push for her to head down whatever new path she's taking.

8 hours ago, kitlee625 said:

What do you want to bet that Ghost Rider is going to be Daisy's latest love interest now that she's gone goth and is on the run from S.H.I.E.L.D.?

That is a possibility since they hired an actor who is 34 in real life. Although, as of right now I am a bit sick of seeing relationship angst, on this show, including Fitz and Simmons, so I wouldn't mind at all if all of the characters (including Fitz and Simmons) just take a break and no one mentions anything about relationships nor do we see/hear sexy time for any characters. 

• Love 2

Wow, did not expect them to bring in Ghost Rider. Some people think it should have been a Netflix show but they're all NYC based and more ground level(for the most part). Ghost Rider involves a lot of visual effects and he roams around the country more.

1 hour ago, VCRTracking said:

3Wow, did not expect them to bring in Ghost Rider. Some people think it should have been a Netflix show but they're all NYC based and more ground level(for the most part). Ghost Rider involves a lot of visual effects and he roams around the country more.

Maybe it is the loose connection to Dr Strange like Agents Of SHIELD first season had a loose connection to Iron Man 3 because of Centipede and AIM.

Recent casting news; they have cast Lilli Birdsell as Lucy and here is the brief description:

Birdsell will play Lucy, a beautiful woman with a haunting quality. She has a very violent streak in her inner self, because of things that have happened. She joins Gabriel Luna, previously announced as new character Ghost Rider for Season 4.

Birdsell’s recent TV credits include NCIS: LA, How To Get Away With Murder andMajor Crimes. She is repped by KMR and Bob McGowan at McGowan/Rodriguez Management.

http://deadline.com/2016/07/marvels-agents-of-s-h-i-e-l-d-cast-lilli-birdsell-recurring-season-4-1201792492/

(edited)

Okay, so here is more information on the upcoming Ghost Rider element of AoS- straight from IO9.

As for how Doctor Strange will affect the the show, Whedon said that the introduction of that character and his powers into the universe paves the way for their biggest new character, Ghost Rider. “It’s one of the reasons we think Ghost Rider will fit this year is that the cinematic universe is being opened up into that world.”

“But, as we learned in Thor,” Whedon continued, “the Marvel approach is that magic is just science we don’t yet understand. We’re going to have both the introduction of magical elements in our show as well as very hardcore science.”

While planning for the movies can be a challenge, there are some advantages. “We can start to pose the questions that perhaps the movie will answer for us,” said Tancharoen. “And coming out of we see how that will affect our characters moving forward.”

“It’s sort of how other shows treat a webisode, a sort of ‘I don’t want to explain magic so Doctor Strange will do it,’” concluded Whedon. “Our webisode is gigantic.”

http://io9.gizmodo.com/how-doctor-strange-gave-agents-of-shield-ghostrider-1784319160

Okay, so I would like to chime in here; first I do think that the Whedons are hinting at the LMDs that they have been dropping hints of, sine the ending of Season 3 but they also want to tie-in their show to, (sigh) Dr. Strange because (sigh) I now realized that the true mandate of this show is to reference every MCU movie. Now, I am not saying that having magic is a bad thing (and, IMO, they should've been dropping hints that magic is real since Season 1, but....) but more like this is probably going to be the last season of AoS (and I am not the only one who thinks like that) and I do wish that they would at least just tie-up the Gravitron storyline that was started way back in Season 1 (and also what the hell Ian Quinn has been up to as well). 

Although, the quote that I bolded does confuse me. First, I thought that they will have actual magic (which is what the Marvel Universe from the comics is known to exist side-by-side with very advanced technology and aliens) but it seems that they maybe just will try to have the magic be explained away with the "silly, human really advanced technology only seems to be magic to you" spiel that has been happening in the MCU for years. Personally, I would be surprised to find out that they will go the route of full-on magic/supernatural since they literally made a supernatural character an Inhuman (hello, do the writers ever read the comics? Hellfire got his powers because he was the descendant of the Phantom Rider and not because he had the Inhuman genes). So, they already took a supernatural character and made them un-supernatural and I wonder if they will try to do the same with this version of Ghost Rider.  

Also, if anyone wants to read the longer version of the interview, you can click here:

http://www.hypable.com/agents-of-shield-creators-tease-ghost-riders-links-to-doctor-strange-at-sdcc/

Edited by TVSpectator
To add another link
11 hours ago, TVSpectator said:

Okay, so here is more information on the upcoming Ghost Rider element of AoS- straight from IO9.

http://io9.gizmodo.com/how-doctor-strange-gave-agents-of-shield-ghostrider-1784319160

Although, the quote that I bolded does confuse me. First, I thought that they will have actual magic (which is what the Marvel Universe from the comics is known to exist side-by-side with very advanced technology and aliens) but it seems that they maybe just will try to have the magic be explained away with the "silly, human really advanced technology only seems to be magic to you" spiel that has been happening in the MCU for years. Personally, I would be surprised to find out that they will go the route of full-on magic/supernatural since they literally made a supernatural character an Inhuman (hello, do the writers ever read the comics? Hellfire got his powers because he was the descendant of the Phantom Rider and not because he had the Inhuman genes). So, they already took a supernatural character and made them un-supernatural and I wonder if they will try to do the same with this version of Ghost Rider.  

Also, if anyone wants to read the longer version of the interview, you can click here:

http://www.hypable.com/agents-of-shield-creators-tease-ghost-riders-links-to-doctor-strange-at-sdcc/

For the characters it may be like Tony Stark in Captain America Civil War 

Spoiler

when Peter Parker starts to tell his origin he cuts him off I head canon'd that he thought he was about to hear about waking up with the Inhuman cocoon around him 

any superpowered being encountered would be assumed Inhuman no matter what their actual origin. The show however may take the opportunity to tell us it was different like Dr. Banner zapping himself with gamma rays

(edited)
10 hours ago, Raja said:

For the characters it may be like Tony Stark in Captain America Civil War 

Reveal hidden contents

when Peter Parker starts to tell his origin he cuts him off I head canon'd that he thought he was about to hear about waking up with the Inhuman cocoon around him 

any superpowered being encountered would be assumed Inhuman no matter what their actual origin. The show however may take the opportunity to tell us it was different like Dr. Banner zapping himself with gamma rays

Well, I guess anybody with superpowers (who are not aliens, super soldiers, and/or wearing a mecha suit) would be assumed to be an Inhuman but I would like the writers of the show to at least acknowledge that they are magical/supernatural to us. They can still have the other characters assume that they are dealing with an Inhuman (or Inhumans) but at least show us that magic does exist (and yes, I would assume that characters like Fitz, Simmons, and even Daisy are going to assume "Inhuman" before magic/supernatural being). Although, they had the opportunity to use a supernatural character and instead made him into an Inhuman (a.k.a. Hellfire)- and we saw him actually transform from a drop crystal to one of those Inhuman cocoons. Why would they do this? If they weren't allowed to use anything supernatural/magic before Dr. Strange then just leave the character alone and if they wanted to introduce a new Inhuman then do it and don't use Hellfire. Save that character for the time when you are allowed to use magic/supernatural. 

Also, isn't the movies just snubbing the show, for whatever reason?

6 hours ago, benteen said:

Yeah, Marvel should just embrace magic.  Enough with the science stuff.  Doctor Strange and Ghost Rider are magic.  Period.

Yeah, I am a bit tired of them trying to explain away stuff with, "well, it's just really advanced technology, but you really don't understand how it works, because...." is getting old. Dr. Stange and all versions of the Ghost Rider and the Phantom Rider are supernatural/magic in origin. There isn't any wiggle room to try and say, "well it's just really advanced technology/aliens/Inhumans" with those characters. They are supposed to be magical/supernatural and the whole idea behind them is that they can do stuff that technology can't. 

Edited by TVSpectator

but EW can confirm he’s playing a character whose Marvel roots go back to the 1940s.

I feel like they are going to cast him into a role of an older character (older as in, some character that was created in the 1940s). Although, some are speculating that he is going to be playing a descendent for one of the Howling Commandos. 

2 hours ago, TVSpectator said:

I feel like they are going to cast him into a role of an older character (older as in, some character that was created in the 1940s). Although, some are speculating that he is going to be playing a descendent for one of the Howling Commandos. 

Well it ain't Bucky and with Triplett being a grandson but Tony Stark a son my bet is the most recognizable Commando whose actor has been reoccurring on Arrow lately 

Just now, Raja said:

Well it ain't Bucky and with Triplett being a grandson but Tony Stark a son my bet is the most recognizable Commando whose actor has been reoccurring on Arrow lately 

Dugan, that is a good choice, but I wonder if they are going to make him his son or maybe they will finally and properly introduce the original Human Torch- Jim Hammond (which was a robot in the comics) to the MCU?

1 hour ago, TVSpectator said:

Dugan, that is a good choice, but I wonder if they are going to make him his son or maybe they will finally and properly introduce the original Human Torch- Jim Hammond (which was a robot in the comics) to the MCU?

All of the original Howling Commandos were experimented on by the Red Skull wing of Hydra. Many use that to explain a young Winter Soldier being around 70 years after the fact

• Love 1
Just now, Raja said:

All of the original Howling Commandos were experimented on by the Red Skull wing of Hydra. Many use that to explain a young Winter Soldier being around 70 years after the fact

I didn't know that all of them were experimented on by Hydra/Red Skull. I thought that Bucky was the only one because he was captured around the end and was never seen till CA:WS.

12 minutes ago, TVSpectator said:

I didn't know that all of them were experimented on by Hydra/Red Skull. I thought that Bucky was the only one because he was captured around the end and was never seen till CA:WS.

I am just assuming they were as they were all in holding cells with Bucky on an exam table when Captain America arrived at the Hydra base in Italy. Now Bucky was found by the Soviets and probably turned over to Leviathan and at some point their Hydra wing got a hold of him when he fell from the train. But to survive that fall was "inhuman".

“But, as we learned in Thor,” Whedon continued, “the Marvel approach is that magic is just science we don’t yet understand. We’re going to have both the introduction of magical elements in our show as well as very hardcore science.”

Why can't Marvel allow magic to be magic?  In fact, with the characters of Loki and Frigga, magic has already arrived in the MCU.  What on earth are they afraid of?

Will Marvel and Disney allow Fury to react to a new director for SHIELD?  If not, what is the point of this storyline?

Edited by CTrent29
  • Love 1
35 minutes ago, CTrent29 said:

Why can't Marvel allow magic to be magic?  In fact, with the characters of Loki and Frigga, magic has already arrived in the MCU.  What on earth are they afraid of?

Will Marvel and Disney allow Fury to react to a new director for SHIELD?  If not, what is the point of this storyline?

Yeah, I would love it for them to leave magic as magic and not some "hardcore" science (and you know what, the so called "hardcore" science is just mostly bullshit anyway. Since when can a technology sense/know when someone isn't "worthy" to wield it, or lets you wield the supernatural powers of the Hellfire, or what technology allows you to summon the Darkforce to do your bidding, or when Odin goes into his "deep sleep" he says a few words of enchantments, etc...  I feel like there must have been someone, somewhere that probably went, "magic, what stupid nonsense it that? Our general audience would never accept that- we have to have a science base explanation because otherwise, everyone will just moan and groan at how stupid everything is and they won't hold their suspension of disbelief. On the other hand, if we handwave it by saying, "all magic is really just really advanced technology" then people will totally buy it. Because you know, the kids these days don't like magic at all..." 

SLJ is a very busy actor so busy that they had to have him do all his lines (from Season 1) in front of a green screen so they can splice scenes and characters around him. They did that because his schedule only allowed him to be filmed on one day (and IIRC) and for only a half-a-day. So, I won't hold my breath to see him appearing but I did hear that he loves the role. 

As with the point of the storyline-  I guess that it probably will be something like "Coulson is the only one who is right for the position"

Edited by TVSpectator
4 hours ago, SocaShoe said:

http://www.spoilertv.com/2016/08/agents-of-shiydryydraeld-season-4-press-release.html

I really hope some of this is being exaggerated for the press release, but come on, Coulson can't be director because the world thinks he's dead? Who the heck cares anymore? Daisy goes "rogue" to "atone" for her sins? ABC just really doesn't get comic book series at all.

Story wise the US GOVERNMENT is bringing back SHIELD which was half Nazi/Hydra and was in the process of committing genocide when Captain America stopped it. However Inhumans walk among us so must be stopped. Real world top generals have been chosen for political as well as war fighting reasons. A man returned from the dead to control aliens isn't politically correct 

After reading that article I really just want this version of Simmons to be a Skrull infiltrator or an LMD and be done with it. Also with Fitz's story, well we already know that Dr. Radcliffe is making LMDs, so who isn't surprised by that and why won't he tell Fitz (his speech at the end of Season 3 felt like he wanted to be buddies with Fitz)? 

Also, please, don't make the new director a bad guy nor incompetent. I feel like after watching 2 1/2 seasons of Coulson as the director SHIELD should get a new director because of the fuck-ups that happened under Coulson (okay, some of them actually weren't his fault but what if the president just got tired of Coulson favoring Daisy over everyone else?). 

Edit I just want to add something else- this is probably all just hype and over half of those plot points will be either forgotten or resolved with the first episode and/or within the first five-six episodes?

Edited by TVSpectator
  • Love 1
28 minutes ago, Raja said:

Story wise the US GOVERNMENT is bringing back SHIELD which was half Nazi/Hydra and was in the process of committing genocide when Captain America stopped it. However Inhumans walk among us so must be stopped. Real world top generals have been chosen for political as well as war fighting reasons. A man returned from the dead to control aliens isn't politically correct 

Story wise, the US government kind of already sanctioned SHIELD and made is a semi-sanctioned organization, back in the back-half of Season 3. But the president basically told Coulson that they can't come public because of the events of the Winter Solider were too fresh in the minds of the people. So, I hope to the All Above One that the just trash the ACTU and create SWORD. Have SHIELD still exist (as a branch) but also have SWORD (as a branch of the same organization ) be made. Also, please show - kill off Daisy. 

As with what Daisy's "sins" could be- did she secretly kill Fitz back in that one episode where she had him in a choke position?

Edited by TVSpectator
  • Love 1

Coulson should be replaced as director but not for the ridiculous reason the show is giving.  Does anyone remember or care about Coulson at this point?  Coulson was a good agent but a lousy director.  That's why he should be replaced.

So we're getting a new version of "We can't trust Simmons" this season too?

Edited by benteen
  • Love 1
8 minutes ago, benteen said:

Coulson should be replace as director but not for the ridiculous reason the show is giving.  Does anyone remember or care about Coulson at this point?  Coulson was a good agent but a lousy director.  That's why he should be replaced.

We haven't been given a reason yet just a pre credits scene tag of Agent Coulson getting ready to call the Director 

8 hours ago, benteen said:

Coulson should be replaced as director but not for the ridiculous reason the show is giving.  Does anyone remember or care about Coulson at this point?  Coulson was a good agent but a lousy director.  That's why he should be replaced.

Yeah, Coulson wasn't a really good director  but the show/writers won't admit it (like a few other things). He was way to personally involved/attached to Daisy (and he probably knew it) and he made some really bad calls as director (like bringing Hive back to the base and just leaving his containment unit just sitting on the docking bay like it's a normal package waiting to be open, etc...). I know that they got Samual L. Jackson to come and do a green screen and recite lines about how Fury gave Coulson his blessing of being the new director (of the then, defunct SHIELD) and giving the guy his Toolbox. But I always thought that Fury had no other option (at that time) but to make Coulson the new director and that his Toolbox just contained the secrets that he just wanted Coulson to have (and not all of them). That being said, I have a feeling that the show wants us to feel that Coulson is the rightful director and that this new director might be evil, etc...

As with Simmon's plot- well they already did something similar back in Season 2 where the twist was that Coulson sent her undercover working for Hydra Labs, INC. I have a feeling (if this synopsis is true) then we will probably have something similar where her only purpose is to get trusted by the new director and find some dirt. This show does have a habit of reusing similar plots. 

• Love 1

Part of me wonders if they are really going to make SHIELD fully public again. Since the movies tend to not even bother with this show. So, something major like going public, again, while a former agent is out allegedly destroying banks and bridges (and what is the deal with Daisy and bridges?) would have some major world changing effects, right? Like maybe a former contractor, who fully supported the Old SHIELD and also his father having some major ties to the organization would want to come back and be some kind of part of it? Overall, this all could be just hooey and over half of this stuff is either going to turn out to be a ruse (like the writers would go, "Psyche! We got you!) and/or over half of the plots will just end by the first episode and/or episode 6.

As with what Daisy's sins are; well, I have no idea but since Ghost Riders tend to deal with that sort of stuff (along with guilt) what could've dear Daisy have done (other than triggering a massive outbreak of Fish Oil induced Inhuman Terrigenesis, trying to put all of SHIELD secrets out in public before CA:WS,  being taken over by Hive, half-torturing a stereotypic redneck for information that she could've to find on her own, putting Fitz in not one but two life-and-death situations, etc...)?  But usually, the hellfire of the Hell Chain would burn your soul and/or you and makes you experience all of your sins, it can also traumatize the souls of living beings, etc..

On 8/4/2016 at 9:45 PM, benteen said:

Coulson is like a really good mid-manger who only got the CEO job because he was with the company for 20 years.

^^^This yeah, he was a really good mid-manager and he probably did get the director job because he was literally (probably in Fury's mind) to be the last standing fully trusted agent left alive, at the time (and I like to think that Fury probably didn't know/realise that Gonzales was alive and he didn't fully follow his orders). 

Edited by TVSpectator
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, ProudMary said:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/08/11/marvels-agents-of-shield-casts-parminder-nagra-as-anti-inhumans-politician

The Blacklist alum Parminder Nagra will be guest starring in a multi-episode role in the coming season. Nagra will debut in episode 3, and will be playing a powerful political figure who is outspoken in her distrust of Inhumans and the threat they pose to society.

That sounds a lot like Senator Kelly from the first X-men movie, played by Bruce Davison.

1 hour ago, Raja said:

Well it does suggest that the general public in the MCU, not just SHIELD, Hydra and folks like the ATCU  will know about Inhumans going forward

Well, I do think that Inhumans are pretty much known to the general public (like how they should know what is Hydra, SHIELD, Captain America, The Red Skull, and even Hydra's symbol) but I don't think they are (or should) be aware of Hive, nor that SHIELD is still operating. Although, sometimes (because in my opinion, of plot and poor dialogue writing) the characters act like they never heard about these groups before. 

From August 13th - mostly nonspoilery (warning: mentions a few spoilers from SDCC)...

Elizabeth Henstridge -- Agents of Shield FULL panel (Boston Comic Con 2016)
Published on Aug 14, 2016, by ChristineDoesCons

On 8/13/2016 at 11:06 AM, romantic idiot said:

Great - an Indian character in the cast, but a villain. Awesome. 

She's positioning herself against Daisy. My guess is she'll be dead by the midseason. Too bad. I really liked her in Bend It Like Beckham.

Edited by kitlee625
  • Love 1

More casting news, from Reddit. It looks like they have found their Aida:

Mallory Jansen is staying in the ABC family, with a very special role on Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

TVLine has learned exclusively that the onetime Galavant queen is trading her ill-gotten crown for a belly full of circuit boards, playing the robot Aida during Season 4 of the ABC series (premiering Tuesday, Sept. 20 at 10/9c).

Previously announced S.H.I.E.L.D. castings include Jason O’Mara as the new Director, Gabriel Luna as Robbie Reyes aka Ghost Rider and Parminder Nagra as a powerful political figure who is outspoken about her distrust of Inhumans.

In addition to her reign as Madalena, Jansen’s TV credits include Young & Hungryand Baby Daddy.

http://tvline.com/2016/08/16/agents-of-shield-mallory-jansen-robot-aida-season-4-cast/

4 hours ago, kitlee625 said:

She's positioning herself against Daisy. My guess is she'll be dead by the midseason. Too bad. I really liked her in Bend It Like Beckham.

Well, I do feel like by the end of this season she will probably end up dead. If she is a major villain, then she can probably survive to episode 21/22 (if this show is able to stay on the air that long) and if she is a minor villain (which according to the link says that she is only appearing in a few episodes) then she will probably die before the mid-season break. Also, they will probably kill off O'Mara's character as well and make Ghost Rider an Inhuman (which would suck, but this show has a history of bringing in comic book characters, both heroes, and villains, and making them lame adaptations out of them). 

Edited by TVSpectator
  • Love 1

So, I found a few pictures and a short article on what the first episode will be titled on Reddit (they were already posted on the AoS subreddit) for season 4, and I thought I should share them here (in my opinion, they do not seem to be spoilerly at all since we know that Robbie Reyes Ghost Rider was already confirmed, way back in July).

First one seems to be a promo picture for the Robbie Reyes character:

OwOQAZ7.jpg

The second one was a short article revealing the first episode title:

Episode 4.01 of Agents of SHIELD is titled "The Ghost".

http://www.spoilertv.com/2016/09/agents-of-shield-episode-401-title.html

Edited by TVSpectator

AoS panel with Clark Gregg and Chloe Bennet at HVFF-San Jose on Aug. 27...

Heroes and Villains Fan Fest San Jose #7
Published on Sep 5, 2016, by steven alvarez

Edited by tv echo